Subject: Copper Bullet?? - Fruit pest control update

From: Steve Diver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:24:29 +0000

Sanet:  Here's an update from Guy Ames to his previous post 
regarding kaolin clay as a new biorational pest control tool in 
low-spray/organic fruit production. 

Steve Diver 
============================================
============================================
>From Guy Ames:  [email-masked]

I just got off the phone with John Mosko, technical representative 
for Engelhard Corporation and got even more detail on the particle 
film (kaolin clay) product for apple and pear pest control
 that I referred to in my earlier post.  (By the way, the product 
tradename will be Surround.)

Mr. Mosko said that what appeared to be good suppression of diseases 
in early studies wasn't always borne out in subsequent trials.  While 
there was perhaps significant suppression of a given disease, it 
might not have been comparable to known conventional controls, so 
Engelhard made the decision to not pursue label registration for 
disease control.  (Keep planting disease resistant cultivars!)   

Nevertheless, insect control does appear excellent as indicated in my 
earlier post.  Another difficult pest to control, pear psylla, is 
apparently easily managed with Surround (tm) sprays.

Mosko did confirm that there will only be limited regional sales this 
year.  Also, the company does not yet have printed informational or 
promotional literature on Surround (tm); however, if you would like 
to get on a list to receive such literature when available you can 
email John at <[email-masked]>.

I will be putting together what information I have (and can get my 
hands on) at ATTRA for distribution to ATTRA callers 
(1-800-346-9140).  In the meantime, the February issue of American 
Fruit Grower has an article on particle film technology.
==============================================

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail