Subject: Re: Gingko

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 16:22:10 -0700

Gingko are very easy to grow from cuttings, so you could start your own 
>from  a known male tree.  Female trees are rarely sold anymore because of 
the foul smelling fruit they produce, so if you buy a tree from the 
nursery the chances are good that it is male.

Matthew F.

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Rob Gray wrote:

> Although this is not a fruit tree, I'd thought I'd give the question a 
> shot in this newsgroup. Can one tell whether an immature Gingko tree is 
> male or female? The reason I ask is that I've heard that the female 
> trees produce a very unpleasant smelling fruit when they reach about 20 
> years of age. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
> 
> 
> 
> 						Rob Gray
> 						[email-masked]
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 03:27:54 GMT

>years of age. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
.... get a grafted, certified male... Ingrid