Subject: Cordon Apples

From: [email-masked] (The Clems)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:22:17 GMT

I wonder if anyone can help?

My father is interested in growing cordon apples.  He says this is a
way of growing them rather than a specific type of apple (I know
absolutely nothing about fruit trees, please pardon my ignorance!).
He is looking for a book of some kind, or any information about this
method of growing apples.  He tells me it has something to do with
training the branches of the apple tree to grow at a certain angle...

Can anyone enlighten me, so that I can enlighten him?  If so, I'd be
grateful for replies by e-mail.

In anticipation,

Carol Clements.

---

From: [email-masked] (The Clems)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 08:09:54 GMT

I am posting again, to thank the people who very kindly gave their
time to send me e-mails giving detailed information about the above
request.  Namely, Scott Arighi, Rick Young, and Roger Briggs, all of
whom have sent extremely useful and quite lengthy information to me
for my father's benefit.  

Your consideration was greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

Carol Clements.

---

From: [email-masked] (The Clems)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 17:26:39 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

><Rick Young responded to Carol Clements query about cordon/espalier 
>training of apples >

>I'd like to add a few points. 

>In addition to the vertical, horizontal, and diagonal cordons, there is 
>another technique called "arcure". This involves letting your 
>whips/saplings grow about a meter (approx. 4 feet) and then bending them 
>over and tying them to the lowest wire on the fence. Space the saplings 
>so that the tip of one, when arched, is close to the base of the next 
>plant. Usually the strongest growth is from buds at the apex of each 
>"hoop", and when they are long enough, these branches are bent over in 
>the opposite direction and tied to form the second row of "arches".
>Etc. The result looks less rigid and starkly geometric than the cordon 
>systems. It is hard to explain, but easy to grasp if you see a picture. 

>There used to be a Web site illustrating arcure and the traditional 
>Belgian Fence (a lattice formed by a row of overlapping Y-shaped trees). 
>I was unable to locate it. However, the University of Ohio has an 
>detailed field report on Espaliered Apple trees, which is just up your 
>alley. Go to:

>http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~ohioline/hyg-fact/1000/1427.html

>hope this helps.
>Joshua

Thank you very much Joshua.  I printed out a copy of your post to
send on to my Dad, and a copy for me so that I can check out the
web site.  I know my Dad will appreciate the help you have all
offered so freely.

Kind regards
Carol.
e-mail and post