Subject: Re: cherry tree questions

From: [email-masked] (mnelson)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 18:35:50 GMT

George Scott ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Somewhere in the hodgepodge of fruit trees planted around my house, I would
: like to plant two or three cherry trees.  The climate here is very damp in
: the springtime.  What varieties do well in wet environments?  Is it too late
: this year to plant leafed out cherry trees?  What is the advantage of 
: dwarf vs. semi-dwarf stock?
: Any comment will be appreciated.

Plant trees close enough to each other that they can cross-pollinate for 
maximum yield.  Some varieties are self-pollinating, but will produce 
more if in a group.  Plant them far enough away from each other so that 
they won't interfere with each other at full growth.

Cherries only have trouble with excess moisture when they are ripening; 
it causes the skin of the fruit to split.

Dwarf trees take up less room, are easier to prune, and if birds give you 
trouble, are easier to cover with a net.  Semi-dwarf produce more only 
at full growth only because of their size.

--
Mike Nelson             | "Ride your bicycle!"
Real-Time Controls      | Real-Time Controls, Embedded Systems Specialists
voice: 011-415-367-9274 | "America's wilderness, love it or leave it alone!"
FAX:   011-415-367-6112 | Motorcycles: 1988 BMW K75c, 1990 BMW R100GS