Subject: Re: Corn Information

From: Mike Villaneuv <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 1996 02:21:54 GMT

The only corn type I can identify is dent. This type is sold as 
yellow dent, or Reeds yellow dent. It is an open pollenated 
type that has a 100+ day maturity. It is tender at the milk 
stage and very edible. Pick to eat window is about 1 week. Ears 
are large and produce 2 per stalk. It is an old time type grown 
for human and animal consumption. Left on the stalk it rapidly 
converts sugar to starch. I grew this corn in the late 1970's 
and sold it "roadside". I now grow a bi color called Funk's G 
90. It is a hybred and is very adapted to central south Tx.
What is the nature of your research? Good luck. I think I read 
that about 10% of the corn is consumed by humans. The rest is 
used for animal consumption.                                   

                                Mike V.

---

From: Mike Villaneuv <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 1996 02:23:08 GMT

Mike V.

---

From: Mike Villaneuv <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 1996 02:54:40 GMT

Dent--- This refers to an early type grown for animal 
consumption. It can be used for human table fare if picked in 
the narrow "milk" window at about 100 days. It is still sold as 
yellow dent, or Reed's yellow dent. I grew it for roadside sale 
in the 70's and it was a good drought tolerent large ear corn. 
I now use Funk's G90. It is a superior hybred bi-color.        
                                                               
                                    Mike V.

---

From: Mike Villaneuv <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 1996 02:57:57 GMT

kfjfjhgfnmmfm,//...akjahahw

---

From: Mike Villaneuv <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 1996 03:07:18 GMT

Dent refers to an early type grown for animal consumption. It 
is ok for human table fare if picked at the full "milk" stage 
at about 100 days. It is still sold as yellow dent, or Reed's 
yellow dent. I grew it in the 70's for roadside sale and it did 
well during droughts. I now grow a hybred type called Funk's 
G90. People stop by just to ask when this one will be 
ready--2mo. early!!!                                           

                                       Mike V.

---

From: Mike Villaneuv <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 1996 03:17:00 GMT

The word dent relates to an early type of corn grown mostly for 
animal consumtion. It made ok table fare if picked at the milk 
stage, about 100 days. It is still sold as yellow dent, or 
Reed's yellow dent. "Dent" means the deep dimple in the 
center of the kernal. It is very pronounced on this type.

---

From: [email-masked] (GicGroup)
Date: 15 Jan 1996 12:55:09 -0500

Thanks for the help on the corn.  It is greatly appreciated.  Anyone know
who would keep statistics on actual growth/sales of each type of corn
listed.

Thanks Again,

Matthew Marks
[email-masked]