Subject: Saturn Peaches

From: John Lobingier <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 1996 10:07:38 GMT

Hi,  Do you know where I can find more information about the Saturn Peach?
I read about them in a Rodale fruit book, but all that was said was that 
they are a little known "Chinese peen to peach".  In the book it said that 
they taste like liquid sugar, and they are "flat" peaches that look like 
doughnuts when you pop the seed out of the middle.  I have three of 
these peach trees that were grown and shipped from California. They have 
survived surprising well my zone 4 winters the last two years.  I have 
only had them for two years so they are not of bearing age.  I would like 
to read more about these peaches than the couple of lines that was in the 
Rodale book.  Let me know if you can tell me more about them, or can 
direct me to some reading material on them.  Thank you very much.

John

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Cline)
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 21:00:38 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, John Lobingier
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I have three Saturn Peaches and I live in zone 4.     -------snip
> These flat peaches are supose to be the best tasting peaches there are.  
> Have you ever eaten one?  
> 
> If you can direct me to a source "out here" or a book that has reading 
> material on these flat peaches especially the saturn, please let me know.
> Thank you very much.
> 
> John 

I do not know what you mean by a "flat peach".  I have a Saturn Peach.  
It was purchased as a small bare root tree three years ago.  The tree has
produced fruit each of the last two years.   The fruit has a conventional
shape.  One remarkable feature is the blossom.  It has large beautifu
lflowers which last for a reasonable time.  I'm thinking of getting a
second tree to replace an ornamental flowering peach.   

The fruit is excellent.  I wouldn't grade it as the best peach I have ever
eaten but quality is highly dependent on the local where the fruit
ripens.  I commonly see Saturn peach trees sold in the local nurseries
here in California.

____________________________________________
[email-masked]
"My words mean exactly what I choose them to mean."  Humpty Dumpty
____________________________________________