Subject: Re: Walnut Ripening??

From: [email-masked] (William A. Grimes)
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 15:24:49 GMT

"M. Counides" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>The best method I know for dehusking black walnuts is to dump them on your 
>driveway.  After you have run over them a few times and they have dried, 
>pick up the nuts and proceed on to the shelling.  The dehusking is easy. I 
>usually give up in the shelling phase. I guess that is why I planted an 
>English walnut.
>
>Naomi Counides
>Associated Beefalo of Idaho
>
That was always the method we used in Indiana.  Let me add, however,
that under no circumstances should one attempt to de-hull a black
walnut bare-handed. The hulls can be (and were) used to make a dark
brown dye that has to wear off the skin.  Of course, if you want nut
brown hands ... <g>
William A. Grimes
San Francisco, CA
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel B Patnode)
Date: 3 Sep 1996 15:53:33 GMT

>From  article <[email-masked]>, by "M. Counides" <[email-masked]>:

Does anyone know if, after crushing the shells, one could attempt to at
least eliminate some of the work by throwing the whole mess in a tub of
water.  What I'm wondering is if one or the other of the shell or the meat
floats?  For example, if the meat sinks but the shell floats or vice versa.
At least that would eliminate *some* of the work.

Dan
****************************************************************************
                  Dan & Lilia Patnode, Proprietors
                 Greenwood Antiques & Collectibles
              Specializing In Silver-Plated Flatware
                 [email-masked] in Milwaukee, WI

---

From: Elisa Rae Ung <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Sep 1996 23:31:39 -0700

Hello,

I am a journalism student at USC who is trying to find out two things:

1) Which fruit has the most calories per pound
2) Which fruit has the fewest calories per pound

I can't seem to find this information anywhere.  Someone suggested to post
to these newsgroups, can anyone help me?  I need both an answer and an
official source to verify the answer.  Even if someone could suggest where
to look, that would be helpful.

Also, this assignment is due Thursday (yipes!) so an answer before then
would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and pardon me if this question's been brought up before.  I"m new here
:)  Please e-mail me the answers directly instead of/in addition to
posting them.  Thanks very much and hope to hear from you soon!

--Elisa Ung
[email-masked]