Subject: Re: Pruning Peach Trees

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Nov 1996 16:49:12 GMT

>Can anyone advise best time for pruning semi-dwarf >peach trees in
Connecticut.

The classic time to prune fruit trees such as peaches is when they are
dormant. This can be done in late January to early March in your area.
Fruit trees can also be pruned in the summer. In general winter pruning
causes a later vigorous burst of growth, while summer pruning has the
opposite effect and this pruning is the main means of confining trees in a
limited space. If your wish is to keep your tree on the small size, summer
pruning might be your best bet. To do this start by removing excessively
vigorous growth that shoots out much farther than any other growth. When
the new growth matures and slows its pace, begin snipping it back. In
general you can begin to prune some branches in July and finish up in
early September. Cut off all but about four leaves of the current season's
growth on each new branch. Then give your tree a last feeding of nitrogen
to produce new fruiting wood. Don't thin out branches. This can be done
during winter pruning.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Nov 1996 01:56:24 GMT

I received the following information on peach tree pruning in the
Northeast. It may be better advice on winter pruning for gardeners in that
area:

"I beg to differ with you onyour timing of pruning peach trees in the
northeast.  The best time is from bloom to a couple of weeks later, you
will know what the crop potential is, and you will have less problem with
canker.  Most northeast horticulurlist will confirm this."
Ken.Livermore  [email-masked]

Don Gholston