Subject: Re: What are the hardiest subtropical fruit trees?

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 16 Oct 1996 00:08:42 -0400

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

>I'm wondering: what are the hardiest of the subtropical >fruit trees?  I
live exactly in the middle of zone 9 >(central FL), and we can expect
approximately four >freezes per year in this area, so such trees as
mangos, >mamey sapotes, and annonas are out of the picture since >they
probably won't ever produce fruit around here.  I'm >not worried about 
>appearances (i.e., frost damage to leaves and small >branches is fine),
but I would like to grow some >subtropical fruit trees that will produce
fruit in a good >year (one w/out a harsh winter).  Any suggestions?

Some suggestions (numbers indicate low temperature hardiness):

Hardy avocados (Brogdin, Gainesville, Lula, Tonnage) 18 - 25 F
Feijoa, Pineapple guava (Feijoa sellowiana) 15 F
Strawberry Guava (Psium cattleianum) 24 F
Kiwi Fruit  (Actinidia deliciosa) 10 F
Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) 12 F
Passion Fruit (Passiflora edulis) 25 - 28 F
Oriental Persimmon (Diospyros kaki) 0 F
White Sapote (Casimiroa edulis) 24 F
Kei Apple (Dovyalis caffra) 20 F
Cherry of the Rio Grande  (Eugenia aggregata) 20 F
Longan (Euphoria longan) 24 F
Jaboticaba (Myciaria cauliflora) 25 F
Capulin Cherry (Prunus salicifolia) 20 F
Jujube (Ziziphys jujuba) -20 F
Wampi (Clausena lansium)  24 F
And many citrus

Go for it!

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http:www.crfg.org/

---

From: Oliver Patterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 19:22:41 -0400

I'm wondering: what are the hardiest of the subtropical fruit trees?  I 
live exactly in the middle of zone 9 (central FL), and we can expect 
approximately four freezes per year in this area, so such trees as 
mangos, mamey sapotes, and annonas are out of the picture since they 
probably won't ever produce fruit around here.  I'm not worried about 
appearances (i.e., frost damage to leaves and small branches is fine), 
but I would like to grow some subtropical fruit trees that will produce 
fruit in a good year (one w/out a harsh winter).  Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Oliver