Subject: wanted:Temperature Data Logger Advice

From: [email-masked] (COLIN STEVENSON)
Date: 23 Sep 1996 13:17:31 GMT

Background We have an 88 acre kiwi fruit orchard in New Zealand and are
new to the industry. We face a frost problem 1: 5 year 1/3 loss, 1:20 year
80% loss with no intervention. Our current intervention strategy is to use
a helicopter and we have a wireless analog
 alarm set at 2 c some 1/2 mile from the house. 

Temperature Logger Recommendation Can some one recommend suitable remote
temperature loggers so that we can systematically plot the iso therms for
the orchard. These would be be accurate in the -5c to +20 c range with an
accuracy of .2 c reasonable storage capability. We would think of ho urly
reading but people with more experiece may have a view on this. Software
should be PC DOS or Windows. 

Advice would also be usefull on the smoothing lag compromise with using a
weather proof case. Total crop loss is linear and occurs after 1 hour at
-1.5c

We think we may need about 5 units plus software and would like to know
approx prices, ordering details. 

Ross Stevenson  
[email-masked]