Subject: Pruning established grapes.

From: "Tim Jandt" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Oct 1996 20:58:07 GMT

I have an established grape vine, and don't know how far back I should
prune it this fall.  I've seen lots of info on pruning young vines, but we
have a vine that could be anywhere from 15 to 50 years old.  Should we
prune back almost to the ground?

ANY info would be appreciated!  Please respond to: [email-masked].

Thanks
Tim Jandt

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Bishop)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 23:52:58 GMT

>Tim Jandt

What kind of system is it trained to?

Its been a while since I pruned grapes, but you basically balance
cropload and vine vigor. 

If for instance it is trained to a 4 cane kniffin system           

___________________
_________|__________
                  |

you would cut off everything except 4 canes(1 year old growth) and
leave some renewal spurs on the main trunk. How long the canes are (in
# of buds) is determined by how much material you remove. Thus you
would leave more buds if the vine is really vigorous. I'm guessing
40-50 buds total for the plant would be a good starting point.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

Jonathan Bishop                       Bishop's Orchards
B.W. Bishop & Sons, Inc.              Growers of Fine Fruit
Guilford, Connecticut                 since 1871
E-Mail:[email-masked]

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????