Subject: melons

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 1996 05:50:45 GMT

Peter Worsley <[email-masked]> writes:
>I'm planning to grow some melons (Iroquois & Earligold cantaloupes) in 
>cloches in coastal Northern CA. I need to know how large the plants will 
>become, and how long the vines will get, so that I can build my cloches 
>(plastic tents) big enough. Thanks- PW

Hi Peter:

I'd suggest getting some seed from ecology action.  French Verdantrais melons 
don't need as much heat, and will be much better suited to your site.   In terms of 
space ecology action suggests planting the melons 15" apart with a triangular spacing.
In Japan they run them up trellises and make more use of vertical space.
You may also try using a foilar spray, ecology action booklet #16, to speed up growth.
You should have the plants established by may for best results.  Although I 
steer away from plastic when i can, making a black plastic mulch will also 
pick up soil temperatures and improve melon production.  Happy melonning.

Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Clark)
Date: 17 May 1996 16:15:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> writes:
>don't need as much heat, and will be much better suited to your site.   
>In terms of space ecology action suggests planting the melons 15" apart 
>with a triangular spacing.
>
>Mark

We have had considerable success growing Iroquois & Earligold in Northwest
Oregon.  The French mellons we grew had no flavor, were soft and mushy and
tended to rot on the vine in our wet weather.  Our favorite mellon is
Pulsar cantaloupe from Territorial Seeds in Cottage Grove, OR.
For us the secret to growing cantaloupes in our cool, wet climate is
black ground cover.  The important thing is to have warm earth.  
We make raised mounded rows, put down a timer controlled soaker hose or
drip and cover with black mulching cloth.  After transplanting seedlings
we often add floating row cover for the first few weeks until the
Summer weather really sets in. 

joel clark