Subject: Re: Quince

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 96 09:16:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "David Lewis" writes:

> I'm trying to find out information about fruiting Quince. I have a
> "Champion" Quince tree that I planted early last spring. It is now three
> years old. Does anyone know how long they take to start fruiting ?  

My 12" long yearling cutting off my parent's tree flowered and
had a try at setting fruit this year. Fruit dropped off so it
is clearly still too small to set fruit properly yet. 
Maybe next year - I'd guess 3-4 years to establish them.

It's one of the few things I have had trouble propogating.

> kind of pruning is required ?  Does anyone know of any good documents on
> the 'net regarding quince ? Are there any other good varieties of quince
> ?  Please respond by email. Thanks !

Watch out for suckers & they are otherwise trouble free.
Prune pretty much like any other fruit tree.

Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 3 Oct 1996 17:09:37 -0400

>I'm trying to find out information about fruiting Quince. I >have a
"Champion" Quince tree that I planted early last >spring. It is now three
years old. Does anyone know how >long they take to start fruiting ?  Are
there any other >good varieties of quince?

Quince trees normally begin bearing in 4 to 6 years. Trees should be
trained (pruned) to a vase shape. Because branches tend to droop and
become leggy, they should be headed to keep foliage full and productive.
Quince can also be trained as shrubs. The several good varieties of quince
in addition to Champion. These include Cook's Jumbo, Orange, Apple,
Pineapple and Smyrna. If you plant a single variety, Smyrna is probably
the best one. It is described as "extremely large and handsome fruit.
Flesh is light yellow and tender with lemon-yellow skin. Fruit can be
stored in the refrigerator longer than other varieties."

Quince presents few cultural problems. It does well in a wide range of
soils and is better adapted to heavy or wet soils than many other fruit
trees. The trees seem to thrive on neglect but do much better with some
care. They seldom need fertilizing, since over-fertilizing can promote
extra-vigorous growth. This increases the liklihood of fireblight, to
which quince is very susceptible. There are few other pests or diseases.
Water regularly, although the trees are somewhat drought resistant.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/