Subject: Re: NURSE LOGS

From: Michael webb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 00:59:18 -0700

*** Now talking in #rave

Hay John sounds great,  however just thought I'd let you know how the
situation is in my neck of the woods.  Here in (actually near) Perth in
Western Australia, we have a fungal disease called Phytophthara
(dieback), really nasty if it gets into the orchid, there are some
remedial treatments for it. However in organic IPM practice, good
drainage and "sanitation" are the best preventative measures.  So the
use of any rotten logs from surrounding bush are out.   Being a producer
we prefere to use compost and sand (we are on heavy loam) in our
planting holes.  But we have to buy that in, ware as your (good) idea
cost almost nothing and gets people out into nature.

The idea of wonderfull flower beds around trees looks good but it has to
be done with though. Root damage as you said but also plants will
transpire more then what the evaporation rate is so in fact the beding
plants are little water pumps sucking away the readily available water
>from  the trees root zone (and visa-versa).  Not to mention the fact that
to much mulch,debrise, and sod crop (I'm mainly speaking as a producer
here) to close around the trees create conditions for other fungal
attacks, and a place for many pests to over winter (I'm very mindfull of
making sure I have provided areas for predatory and benificial insects
to over winter).

Keep the ideas flowing
             michael and tanja

---

From: "John A. Keslick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 20:54:22 -0700

Yes yes yes,  the nurse logs are not used in bio dynamic farming but
would be a source of water during dry spells.  We are experimenting with
that now.  Really was not ment for fruit trees that are not native to an
area either.  Most people in USA make their own fruit tree problems. 
Wrong pH, improper pruning, chemicals, wound dressings, GRASS,  chemical
fertilizer, over pruning, wrong tree wrong place, improper planting and
the list goes on.  Much more of a problem than a nurse log would be from
my view.  What do ya think
-- 
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
John A. Keslick Jr.              If you are not OUTRAGED you're not  
Tree Anatomist & Tree Biologist                   paying attention.
Phone: 610-696-5353                    Support ORGANIC FARMERS.
organic tree treatment web site: 
http://www.ccil.org/~treeman/  OR  http://www.ccil.org/~kenm/env/  
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\