Subject: Re: Has Anyone Planted Black Currants

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Shugart)
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 12:36:21 -0800

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
 As I understand it they [blackcurrants] were common in the US until the
> 30's when the US Gummit eradicated them because they were thought
> (because of a fungus) to be a threat to White Pines (commercial lumber
> then but now almost extinct because of overcutting). They are now
> legal. ...Bill 

So does that mean that they were not a source of fungus after all?  I
first tasted black currant juices and jellies in Poland a couple of summer
ago.  It was so delicious a flavor that I could not understand why they
are so hard to find here.  Maybe this is the explanation.  I'd sure like
to see them catch on commercially, as going to specialty import stores is
inconvenient and expensive!

Can anyone shed further light on the black currant situation?  Is there a
commercial industry in the US now?

---

From: jmill <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jun 1996 14:55:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
>commercial industry in the US now?

Yes, the White Pine Blister Rust fungus still spends half of its
lifespan on currants and gooseberries, and to my knowledge, both
plants are still illegal here in New England.  However, my
knowledge is a few years old, and I have occasionally seen currant
and gooseberry plants here and there in Massachusetts.  Not many,
however, and the ban may still be in effect.  Does anyone have
newer data?

-- Joyce

---

From: Chad Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 08:12:59 -0700

Forgot to mention the commercial industry.

There is very little black currant grown commercially in the US.  While 
the plant can produce very well here, the processors have not felt there 
was a market in the US.  So no large scale industry has developed.

Hurst's Berry Farm in Sheridan Oregon ships black currants as a fresh, 
clam-shell packed, product.  I know there is/was a substantial planting 
near Duluth Minnesota.

The International Ribes Association (TIRA) should also be a great source 
of information.  Ed Mashburn, their director, generally watches this 
group and will probably contact you. 

Chad

---

From: Chad Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 08:06:16 -0700

I would suggest contacting the USDA-ARS National Clonal Germplasm 
Repository in Corvallis, Ore. ([email-masked])

Black currants are still technically illegal in some states; laws are on 
the books but not enforced.

Black currants can be grown in a good portion of the US very successfully.

The Repository has publised info on the rules/regs. Dr. Stan Pluta from 
Poland has also extensively evaluated their collection and made 
recomendations for the best types to grow (at least in the Pacific Northwest)

Chad

---

From: Adam Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 15:44:29 -0400

I live in Ontario Canada, so I can't say about US bans, but I grew up on
black Currants, so when I saw one in "K-Mart" a couple of weeks back I
just HAD to plant it.

It is in the back yard in damp, clay rich soil, but I didn't do a great
job of planting it (mosquitoes were bad and I was in a hurry). So far
it's alive and starting to grow. I'll keep you up to date on how its
doing.

(I live about 75km SW of Ottawa Ontario)

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Hart)
Date: 6 Jun 1996 02:52:12 GMT

My wife has one black currant bush in the garden in R. I.  that she 
planted maybe 4 or 5 years ago ; the var is consort.  It is suppose to be 
a var that does not harbor the rust and is legal (she thinks).  There is 
a women from one of the Baltic Countries that pesters her each year for 
the fruit.  My wife says that she thinks got over six pints last year.  
The bush is maybe three foot high and three foot across

---

From: "counides,m" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jun 1996 16:51:02 -0700

Black currants are available from Bear Creek, Raintree, Northwoods, 
Stark's, et al. Jostaberries are a black currant/gooseberry cross and 
thornless. 

Naomi Counides
Associated Beefalo of Idaho

---

From: [email-masked] (Ribes60)
Date: 7 Jun 1996 09:58:04 -0400

Ribes ( the family of gooseberries and currants) were prohibited plants
under federal regulation for a number of years. They were an alternate
host to White Pine Blister Rust, a disease that sometimes destroyed pines
with 5 needles (leaves) Ribes are not the only hosts and ribes nigrum
(black currants) were the main problems. The federal ban was lifted in
1966, however some states and some other local areas still prohibit ribes,
some black currants only, and some by permission only. There are also some
places that still have the regulations on the books, but do not enforce
them.

Black currants and other ribes can be grown over most of the north
temperate zones and are excellent home fruits, very high in vitamin C.
Ribes are becoming more in demand, and more available through nurseries.
There are black currants that are resistant to WPBR that are available. 

I will try to answer any specific questions and will reply to general
questions thru this newsgroup. If you are in an area that allows growing,
you should try them.

Ed Mashburn
The International Ribes Association

---

From: [email-masked] (DJackeNHD)
Date: 11 Jun 1996 21:06:07 -0400

Ribes are illegal in Massachusetts on a town-by-town basis, and in Vermont
and New Hampshire statewide, even the WPBR resistant varieties.  Some
nurseries will not ship into states where they are illegal, some will.  

The varieties I know to be WPBR resistant are Consort, Coronet and
Crusader, all available from Bear Creek Nursery, PO Box 411, Northport, WA
99157 (they have excellent stock!).  Jostaberries (Ribes nigridolaria) are
also resistant and have other characteristics that are associated with
'hybrid vigor'.  

I have heard that even though the plants you plant may be resistant, their
offspring may not be, so that planting resistant varieties may not be
insurance against the spread of WPBR.  The rust did wipe out the New
England timber industry early in this century, since it was so heavily
dependent on white pine.  Now white pine is not very valuable in the
market, but it is still a good idea to at least plant only resistant
varieties if you are going to plant, and to know the signs of WPBR so you
can destroy infected plants.  Also, it is a good idea not to break the
law, right?  My plants are healthy, though, and I look forward to eating
fruit in a couple of years.

By the way, it is said that Ribes will grow in the shade, and this is
true, but they require full sun to produce a good crop.

Peace, love and gooseberries to all!

Dave Jacke
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (debOrah)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 23:28:34 GMT

We grew them in The Finger Lakes Region of New York until a few years
ago when we moved to Florida. They smell like cat pee, but taste so
exotic.  No sprays needed. Never a pest/fungus problem.  Got them from
The Geneva Testing Station, Cornell University, Geneva , New York.
Never had any problems with our Poorman Goosberries, either. Please
email me if you want more info.  
deb
email address:   [email-masked]