Subject: Re: HELP WANTED WITH MULBERRY TREE

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 3 Oct 1996 17:02:46 -0400

On rereading my earlier reply on mulberries in Belgium, I realize I could
have given a more definitive response. When Europeans talk about
mulberries, they are usually referring  to the black or Persian mulberry
(Morus nigra). The black mulberry is grown in Spain and other parts of
southern Europe and might well be marginal in Belgium.  Many authorities
in the U.S. feel that this species is unadapted in regions colder than
USDA Hardiness Zone 7, which is defined as having predictable winter
minimums of 0 to 10 deg F (-18 to -12 deg. C).  Many clones of the white
mulberry, on the otherhand,  are unaffected by temperatures  of -25 deg F
(ca -33 deg C), and should present no problem in Belgium. While it is true
that the fruits of the black mulberry are generally superior to other
species, a few white mulberry cultivars, such as Illinois Everbearing,
approach a black mulberry in quality.

Anyone interested in growing mulberries is advised to read Lee Reich's
discussion of the fruit in his book, Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention
(Addison-Wesley (1991).

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 5 Oct 1996 03:37:45 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(DGholston) writes:

[email-masked] (DGholston) said:
. The black mulberry is grown in Spain and other parts of
>minimums of 0 to 10 deg F (-18 to -12 deg. C).

   We had a large black mulberry tree in upstate NY, and I know there were
others in the neighborhood.  It withstood winter temps as low as -20 F,
and yielded prolifically.

   This particular tree had large juicy fruit, but they were fairly bland.
 I liked them better in preserves, wines, etc, mixed with a tart fruit
like wild grapes, crab apples, etc.  I don't know if this is
characteristic of all, or whether there is a lot of variation.

   We always had a race with the birds, who got their share, and proceeded
to paint the neighborhood.  For a couple weeks we were somewhat unpopular.

[email-masked]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 5 Oct 1996 12:24:35 -0400

Pollinator wrote:

 >  We had a large black mulberry tree in upstate NY, and I >know there
were others in the neighborhood.  It withstood >winter temps as low as -20
F, and yielded prolifically.

>   This particular tree had large juicy fruit, but they were >fairly
bland. I liked them better in preserves, wines, etc, >mixed with a tart
fruit like wild grapes, crab apples, etc.  >I don't know if this is
characteristic of all, or whether >there is a lot of variation.

I question whether this tree was a true Black Mulberry (Morus nigra). The
winter temperatures are just too cold. The fruit of the White Mulberry (M.
alba) can be any color, including red and near black. Also, the taste of
the fruit sounds like that of the White Mulberry, which is described as
"genearally very sweet but often lacking the tartness that gives the
finest flavor."

Don Gholston

---

From: [email-masked] (Ben Sharvy)
Date: 5 Oct 1996 11:11:44 -0700

>and yielded prolifically.

Black mulberry is only hardy to zone 7 (0 F). White and red mulberries 
can bear dark fruit, so it was probably one of those. 'Illinois 
Everbearing' is an oft planted hybrid that is hardy to zone 5 and bears 
black fruit. I think the red mulberry is native to the US, but don't 
quote me on it.
-- 
Eco-Socialist-Libertarian-Capitalism Made Simple:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/dummies.html
Edible Landscaping Database:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 06:27:08 GMT

>You say you want to grow a mulberry tree in Belgium and then say you have
>a tree that is about 20 yrs. old and another around 100 years old. It
>sounds like you are successfully growing mulberries. 

Unless the mulberries are male trees, in which case they won't bear
fruit.

Terry
http://www.lofthouse.com/apple/