Subject: apple ecology

From: [email-masked] (Michael Snyder)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 13:19:07 -0400

I am curious about all those wonderful wild apple trees I find supressed
but struggling deep in the woods almost anywhere I go in northern New
England. I have many questions about them, their history, their present,
and their future. Were they all planted?  When? By whom?  What varieties?
What is their importance to wildlife?  How do they manage to survive
amidst the surging forest all around them?

My research through traditional means (library, "experts", etc) has come
up short, so now I turn to you.  I am looking for sources of information;
if you are such a source, or have ideas about where I might look, please
contact me.  Many advance thanks.

Michael.

-- 
Michael Snyder
School of Natural Resources
Universtiy of Vermont
[email-masked]

---

From: John Lobingier <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 1996 23:13:16 GMT

Hello,  I can tell you a little about them.  I too would really like to 
know more about them. They got established by settlers that planted them. 
Ever here of Johnny Appleseed?  Specific vaieties I couldn't say exactly 
what they are, but they have to be of the antique varities that the 
settlers brought over with them on there long voyages.  These apples are 
considered not to be the tastiest,( some would argue that like me ) but 
they kept well on the long voyages.  Other apples and other fruit trees 
get established by people throwing an apple cord on the ground.  Birds can 
also plnat seeds when the take a "dump" though I don't know any that eat 
apples.  On my grandmothers property, there is the best tasting apple I 
have ever eaten that is growing in the woods.  Man do I wish there were 
more of these.  They are green, but turn yellow as they ripen.  Sweet and 
sour taste.  Tress survive in the shade of the larger forest trees by 
adaptation. They adjust.  Their growing and branching pattern ( form )
are based on and follow the available light.  Example-  They may send up 
more verticle branches rather than the desirable horizontal branches 
because they are being shaded. Seeds are nothing more than a way a tree 
insures that it's species survives. get some antique varieties, you'll 
love them!  

John