Subject: Kyle Chen FAQ

From: [email-masked] (Tung-Chiang Yang)
Date: 5 Nov 1995 04:05:36 GMT

The following document is used to instruct people about Kyle Chen's
flamebaits.  The Followup-To has been reset so this post will not result
in a Usenet velveeta.

                      ==========================
                        The -= Kyle Chen =- FAQ
                      ==========================

          ====================================================
            Compiled by Tung-chiang Yang, [email-masked]
          ====================================================

( Only postings and followups after October 30, 00:00, 1995 will be
  included here unless otherwise mentioned )

=================
Table Of Contents
=================

1.  Who is Kyle Chen?

2.  Kyle's Style

3.  Can you prove Kyle to be a moron?

    3a. Kyle on... the area of China

    3b. Kyle on... prostitution in Taiwan

    3c. Kyle on... Chinese population

4.  Are there people believing in what Kyle says?

5.  Other people's comments for Kyle

6.  When and where will this FAQ be posted?

7.  Conclusions.

1.  Who is Kyle Chen?
=========================

Kyle Chen is a gentleman who claimed to come from Mainland China.
He introduced many many flamebaits in "soc.culture.taiwan" and
"soc.culture.china" by posting in these newsgroups, and netters in
these newsgroups will have to either follow him up to do some damage
control, or tolerate his crosspostings into the newsgroups they enjoy.

He was flamed more than I have observed in "soc.culture.taiwan", after
Vincent Yang started lurking in this newsgroup.  If today there is a
competition between Vincent Yang and Kyle Chen, we really have no idea
who will win :)  Talking about the quality, Vincent might be telling
lies, but the quality is definitely better ( though Kyle Chen easily
beats him for quantities ).

Kyle uses the following accounts ( machines ) for postings:

   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]

and sometimes the newsheader only shows "weichen" and people have problems
sending him their comments.  He is better that he would reply most of the
incoming E-mails, just like a baby, if you feed it with some food, it
always returns you with some results on the diaper.

2.  Kyle's Style?
======================

    (a) Kyle likes crossposting.

	Kyle Chen usually crossposts his stuffs in many unrelated
	newsgroups without knowing what these groups are for.  The
	following newsgroups are known to have fallen victim to his
	posting:

	   soc.culture.china
	   soc.culture.hongkong
	   soc.culture.taiwan
	   talk.politics.china
	   talk.politics.taiwan ( actually this newsgroup does not exist,
				  but Kyle believes it exists )
	   ucla.general
           ucla.talk            ( this group does not exist, either )
	   usc.china
	   usc.talk
	   usc.general
	   usc.org.ccc
	   usc.org.tsa

        In the thread "No one should protest on the French nuclear
	weapons issue", maybe "soc.culture.french" and "alt.activism"
	might be on-topic, but in addition to some newsgroup listed
	above, he also crossposted the French nuclear issue into the
	following newsgroups:

	   alt.agriculture.fruit
	   alt.business
	   alt.college.fraternities
	   alt.culture.hawaii
	   alt.culture.indonesia
	   rec.food.restaurants
	   soc.culture.canada
	   soc.culture.british
	   soc.culture.europe
	   soc.culture.japan
	   soc.culture.palestine
	   soc.culture.usa
	   Soc.culture.australian ( apparently Kyle had a typo when he
				    typed "soc.culture.australian" )

    (b) Kyle likes to use "tai wan" instead of "Taiwan" to show his
	feelings on Taiwan.  He also likes to use "roc".

	It is odd that in the subject field Kyle would use "tai wan"
	without exceptions and so did he in the main text.  However,
	there is one exception where he used "Taiwan".  Maybe his
	shift key always breaks up when he types the subject.

           Message ID: <[email-masked]>
	   Subject: How did the tai wan province government kill its own people?
	   Date: 30 Oct 1995 00:16:29 -0800

	   ......
	   And what happened to Harry Liu? a man who published a biography
	   of CCK that discussed his sex life and his illegitimate children.
	   Murdered by Taiwanese agents in San Francisco in 1984.
           ......

	[ One comment: Kyle, his name is not Harry. ]

    (c) Kyle likes to fan up the war between USC and UCLA, which is a
	tradition for these two Los Angeles schools.

	   ( A post replying THL's pledge "Kyle can't represent USC" )
	   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
	   Subject: FIGHT ON!! TROJANS!!!
	   Date: 31 Oct 1995 00:08:08 GMT

	   ......
	   ok, great!!! great news!! this thl thinks that it is ok for
	   those bears to crossposting into usc newsgroups. well, go
	   ahead. i won't complain. i just hope that people like jack
	   tedford won't accuse that it was me who brought the bears
	   into the trojans' newsgroups!!!
           ......
	   tell all the trojans, why can't we fight with the bears on the
	   net? is that because you think that they are better than us,
	   expect on the football field???

        [ One comment.  I believe it is Kyle who started to add
	  "ucla.general" and "ucla.talk" when he posted the above stuffs.
	  After all, he is not satisfied with being flamed by SCC/SCTers.
	  He enjoy flames from the cross-town rivals, too ]

    (d) Kyle likes to alter other people's posts to achieve his goals.
	Well, actually, he just edits some texts and post it as if this
	guy has said something.  Check out the following example to see
	what Kyle did to Tak Yin Wang.  ( This is an exception to the
	"Oct 30 rule" )  Kyle just posted a document in which he "quoted"
	what Tak Yin Wang said.

	   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
	   Subject: Tak Yin Wang's apology to all the Chinese people
	   Date: 28 Oct 1995 19:24:04 -0700

	   On 28 Oct 1995, Tak Yin Wang wrote:

	   My apologies to all Chinese because I disgrace my own culture
	   by posting such racist articles.  Yes, fork-and-knife cultures
           are not necessarily less civilized.

	   please forgive me.

	[ Hmmm, Kyle, you got 9/10 for inspiration, but 0/10 for post
	  forgery. ]

        The following example shows some ridiculous mistake by Kyle
	Chen's "altering" strategy:

           Subject: Re: Tung-Chiang Yang FAQ
	   Date: 1 Nov 1995 00:10:02 GMT
	   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
	   From: [email-masked] (Hung-jen  Yang)

	   FYI, in tin, use Ctrl-k to build your kill file to filte out
	   those posts from Mr. Kyle Chen. After that, no more posts from
	   Kyle Chen you will see. :-)

        On the same day, Kyle again "altered" some part of the text and
	posted his work:

	   Subject: Chinese seperatist --- Tung-Chiang Yang FAQ
	   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
	   From: Kyle Chen <[email-masked]>

	   FYI, in tin, use Ctrl-k to build your kill file to filte out
	   those posts from Mr. Tung-Chiang Yang. After that, no more posts
	   from Kyle Chen you will see. :-)

	Apparently, Kyle "altered" the first "Kyle Chen" into
	"Tung-Chiang Yang" to make people think Hung-jen posted the
	advice against Tung-chiang Yang, but he forgot to "alter" the
	second "Kyle Chen", which made the result quite funny.  Trojan
	Albert Yeh responded:

	   Date: 1 Nov 1995 10:16:39 -0800
	   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

           Read above what you alter. And make sure you alter all the
	   necessary words. Otherwise , the logic of the sentence is
	   funny :) Dont learn from your ancestor that only can alter
	   other's things.  Create urself and ask some others to write
	   to siupport you instead of altering if you want to prove you
	   are not a moron.

	   What you did in altering is in vain bcs everyone here know
	   what's true and what's you altered.

	   ......

	After the posting of this "Kyle Chen" FAQ, Kyle had a habit.  He
	will edit this FAQ, replace every "Kyle Chen" by "Tung-chiang
	Yang" ( my name ), and he will post it again with subject
	"Tung-chiang Yang FAQ".

    (e) Kyle likes to rename the names of the schools where other people
	flame him. ( This is another exception to the 10/30 rule )

	   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
	   Subject: Re: what does ucla stand for?
	   Date: 29 Oct 1995 23:51:57 -0800

	   On 30 Oct 1995, Dan F. from University of Catfood, Los Angeles
	   wrote:

           ......

3.  Can you prove Kyle to be a moron?
=====================================

Well, something goes without saying, like proving "1+1=2".  O.K.  You
insist on "innocent before proved guilty", and here we have some
evidence.......

3a. Kyle on... the area of China 
================================

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Subject: for those who have studied in tai wan province
Date: 30 Oct 1995 00:32:47 -0800

......
just remember that China has 960,0000,0000 km*km, but tai wan is just
a province. so you know what kind of education you actually got.
......

[ It seems that Kyle believe the education of a country is related to
  its size.  Kyle, are you telling us that Singapore people are not
  eduated at all? ]

[ Kyle, the radius of the Earth is around 6400 km, which means that
  the surface of the earth is 3.86x10^8 km^2.  I believe Kyle included
  the surface of the sun in China's area, too. ]

3b. Kyle on... prostitution in Taiwan
=====================================

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Subject: prostitutions in tai wan province
Date: 29 Oct 1995 23:43:19 -0800

......
you people import females from everywhere into tai wan province treated
them as non-human, force them into prostitutions. That is what you called
paradise??? for who???

What did the communism do after 1949? It made that law that doing
prostituition is ILLEGAL. That means it was the Chinese government which
abolished prositutions forever from the Chinese land.
......

[ Kyle, maybe people in Taiwan import females from everywhere.  One
  question, do these people import females from your hometown? ]

   [ [email-masked] on 30 Oct 1995 with
     <[email-masked]> ]

      ......
      Just because something is made illegal by your wonderful
      government, doesn't mean it no longer exists.

3c. Kyle on... Chinese population
=================================

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: BBC journalists have nothing better to do!!!
Date: 31 Oct 1995 00:27:26 GMT

then why is it a big deal for the western governments during almost all
the international meetings? why do they have to single outthe chinese
government for the "human rights" issues?? those western countries can
NOT even feed their citizens at all. when the 12,0000,0000,0000 chinese
people can eat meals three times a day, isn't this a basic human rights
that everyone should have???

[ Kyle, the CIA 1995 World Factbook says the estimated population of
  China ( PRC ) is 1,203,097,268 ( July 1995 est. )  I found there to
  be a difference of 11,998,796,902,732.  In fact, I suspect if there
  are so many people on earth. ]

[ [email-masked] on 31 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]
( on another post by Kyle who again said there were 12,0000,0000,0000
  Chinese in China )

   Here we go again.   12,0000,0000,0000

   The total population of all mankind after the nearer star systems are
   colonized (probably in 20,000 years)

4.  Are there people believing in what Kyle says?
====================================================

Yes.

[ [email-masked] on 28 Oct 1995 with
  <[email-masked]> ]

   I think Kyle Chen is the finest Chinese in the group.  He stands for
   the most of Chinese from mainland. He is one of the greatest patriots.
   I enjoy and share the most of his views.  If you said there is someone
   who creats hatred here, I think majority people know who is. That guy
   hates Chinese very much. I don't want to mention his name here.

   I hope more and more Chinese can explicit his views as Kyle Chen dose.

   No One Can Stop Chinese! This is the general trend of next century.

5.  Other people's comments for Kyle
=======================================

[ h3wu on 30 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   ......
   I privately conclude that Mr Kyle Chen seems not likely keeping "a
   Chinese root" which he claimed to be what the some other guys have
   lost.  So, what kind of "root" does this dear Mr Kyle Chen have?
   "a great_culture_revolution's root" ?  just a wild guess.

[ [email-masked] on 30 Oct with <[email-masked]> ]
( Note: [email-masked] is a faked address )

   Kyle Chen sounds like an extremnist who is trying to push Taiwan from
   China.  He is acting like a Xiao Chou on the net but not like most of
   mainland Chinese.

[ [email-masked] on 30 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   ......
   I sometimes think "Kyle Chen" is really trying to promote hatred
   TOWARDS China and the Chinese people instead of kindness and respect.

[ [email-masked] on 30 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   forget it, Kyle is just a kid.  he does not know how to respect
   anyone, including himself and his culture.

[ [email-masked] on Oct 30 1995 with
  <[email-masked]> ]

   I agree. Also, I feel that Kyle Chen is pretty racist...I noticed that
   he always spell Taiwan as tai wan, but he never forgets caps when he
   spelling places in mainland China. Perhaps he looks down all people
   and culture of Taiwan?

[ [email-masked] on 30 Oct 1995 with
  <[email-masked]> ]

   ......
   For example, the person above thinks it was intelligent, clever, and
   witty (no doubt) to not let a single collection of sentences leave his
   keyboard without a 'tai wan province' or a 'tai wan province government'
   attached in there somewhere..until it cancels out any sort of credibilty
   you might have been willing to extend to the guy.  It's soo cute!
   ......
   
[ [email-masked] on 30 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   I really doubt this guy, Mr. Kyle Chen, just want to fire one question
   after another question. One flame after another flame. I do not think
   he/she want to discuss question sincerely. maybe we should just ignore
   him/her for a couple of days to let him take a rest. IMO.

[ [email-masked] on 30 Oct 1995 with
  <[email-masked]> ]

   May I advise you one thing, Kyle?  Take advantage of your now being
   outside China, look around, read more, talk more to the people around
   you, absorb more information about happenings in this world, and most
   importantly, RELAX.  Don't just lock yourself in your own tiny and
   parochial world.  Broaden your mind and vision!  Learn to understand
   and respect other people's view before you make your counter-arguments
   (attn: I said counter-arguments, not attacks or calling names).  I
   suppose if you could make your way out of China to do a graduate
   degree (am I right?) in the States you should be smart enough.  You
   can do it.

   By the way, don't put the "glory" of China all on your own shoulders.
   That is for sure too heavy, and too tiring.

[ [email-masked] on 31 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   You have one vote here for Kyle Chen, Albert.  I don't know whether
   Kyle has ever thought that the fact he frequently resorts to senseless
   name-calling not only detracts from his own argument but from other
   arguments on his side of the issue as well.  This newsgroup is intended
   for people who actually have some intelligent thoughts to share.  I know
   whose posting I can skip from now on.

[ [email-masked] on 31 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   For all the cross posted newsgroups. Please do not take Kyle Chen as
   the standard student at USC. He does not speak for us,

   and seeing him say Fight On Trojans disgusted me, he doesn't show the
   brother and sisterhood and I feel makes us all Trojans.

[ [email-masked] on 31 Oct 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   chen kyle from mainland china, please dont stop posting yours pearls
   of wisdom. I save on time not reading comics in the morning. :-)

[ [email-masked] on 01 Nov 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   Never in a trillion years would USC allow someone like Kyle Chen on
   their staff.

[ [email-masked] on 02 Nov 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   ......
   Kyle, sending posts to yourself saying how good you are is really
   pathetic.

[ [email-masked] on 01 Nov 1995 with <[email-masked]> ]

   Ah! Finally people are speaking up.  I've been reading this newsgroup
   since September this year and I found Kyle is terrible.  Can we just
   stop responding whatever he posts?  May be that will teach him a lesson.

[ [email-masked] on 01 Nov 1995 with
  <[email-masked]> ]

   Kyle, you idiot ( if I may since everyone else is calling you that;
   and it has nothing to do with you're a mainlander ), you are quoting
   the wrong person.  I know because I was the one that said it.
   ......

[ [email-masked] on 04 Nov 1995 with
  <Pine.SUN.3.90.951105112916.25949B-100000@mtc> ]
   ( Christian Soffel responded to K. Chen at [email-masked]
     who needs some certain information )

   Be careful that nobody confuses you with another "K. Chen"!

[ [email-masked] on 04 Nov 1995 with
  <[email-masked]> ]
   ( David replied in the thread "No one should protest on the French
     nuclear weapons issue", which Kyle Chen crossposted to
     "rec.food.restanrants" )

   Hey Kyle,

   For the record, nobody at rec.food.restaurants is even remotely
   interested in this post.  Please stop cross-posting this to groups
   where it doesn't belong.  Thanks.

6.  When and where will this FAQ be posted?
=================================

This FAQ will be posted in soc.culture.taiwan, soc.culture.china and
talk.politics.china when there is another flaming storm showing up
in SCC and SCT.

If Kyle deliberately post some flamebaits into some newsgroups ( like
the UCLA and USC local ones ), this FAQ will also be crossposted there
so people can know who Kyle is before they start to bite the flamebait.

We respect Kyle's freedom of speech, and we respect our freedom of
flaming on his moron identity more.

7.  Conclusions
===============

I am glad to have compiled a FAQ for Kyle Chen's words.  After all,
being notorious in the cyberspace is something Kyle can do to beat us :)

--
Tung-chiang Yang         [email-masked]
    http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~tcyang/html/Taiwan_faq.html, China_faq.html
School of Engineering and Applied Science, UCLA, USA
Nov 4, 1995