Subject: ****MYCORRHIZAL FUNGUS NOW AVAILABLE*****

From: [email-masked] (ABSORBU)
Date: 23 Jan 1996 10:26:52 -0500

MycorTree Tree Saver Transplant Inoculant Now Available
To Improve Survival and Growth Rates of Trees and Shrubs at Planting

	MycorTree Tree Saver Transplant, formulated in easy-to-use
premeasured paks, is now available to inoculate landscape trees and shrubs
with beneficial mycorrhizal fungi at planting time.  Tree Saver Transplant
is the only product available with a "cocktail" mix of mycorrhizal fungi
adaptable to a broad range of plant species, environmental conditions and
soil types, including heavily distressed sites.

	Tree Saver Transplant paks contain five superior strains of live
fungi that will colonize and stimulate the feeder roots of virtually any
tree and shrub species.  The inoculant also contains Terra-Sorb
superabsorbent gel to help prevent drought stress, and natural yucca,
seaweed and humic extracts to promote fast root regeneration.

	Mycorrhizal fungi are an essential part of all plant growth. 
Mycorrhizae, which means "fungus-root", work as an extension of the
plant's roots to help the plant take up soil nutrients and water in
exchange for a steady source of sugars.  This co-dependent (symbiotic)
relationship has evolved over millions of years.  Thousands of research
studies have shown that the fungi/plant partnership helps plants survive
stress, absorb more water and essential elements, and increased resistance
to root disease pathogens and pests.  Without mycorrhizal fungi, plants
cannot thrive.

	In nature, mycorrhizae are readily available to plants.  In urban
settings, however, natural levels of endomycorrhizae, which live inside
the plant's roots, and ectomycorrhizae, which reside on the outside of
roots, can be extremely low.  This is especially true when soils are
distressed by compaction, fertilizer imbalance and other problems
associated with urban landscape.  Commercial potting mixes, in which
transplant trees are grown, are often sterile and do not contain
mycorrhizae.

	Extensive field research has proven that the presence of
mycorrhizae fungi greatly improves the survival, growth rates and disease
resistance of tree seedlings compared to seedlings with little or no
mycorrhizae, especially those grown in fumigated nursery beds.  Much of
the available research conducted during the past 20 years was directed by
Drs. Donald H. Marx and C. Edward Cordell of the USDA Forest Service, both
world authorities on mycorrhizal technology and now employed with Plant
Health Care, Inc. (PHC, Inc.), manufacturer of MycorTree Tree Saver
Transplant.  PHC, Inc. offers the only full line of mycorrhizal products
available on the market.

	Under the guidance of Cordell and Marx, PHC, Inc. developed Tree
Saver Transplant to increase tree and shrub survival and growth rates
after planting.  Because there are many strains of mycorrhizae that must
be matched to plant species and soil types, Tree Saver Transplant is
formulated with five species of endo- and ectomycorrhizae to allowing
virtually universal use.  The inoculant reduces tree loss and damage when
plants are transplanted or under water stress, and the product improves
the adaptability and performance of sensitive tree and shrub species.  The
addition of Terra-Sorb water absorbent gel and plant biostimulants to the
Tree Saver Transplant formulation increases its utility and ease-of-use
under field conditions experienced by landscape architects, developers and
contractors.

	MycorTree Tree Saver Transplant is available in 3 oz. zip lock
paks packaged 50 or 150 to a pail.  Each pak contains sufficient material
to inoculate a single tree of 1 inch caliper or three 1 gallon
containerized plants, at a cost of under $2 per tree.  The fungi in the
products were chosen based on their ability to survive and colonize plant
roots over a broad soil pH range.  And because the product is a "cocktail"
mix of mycorrhizal fungi, it is effective for all tree and shrub species
except rhododendrons, azaleas and laurels.

	For more information or the name of your MycorTree distributor,
e-mail or write to PHC, Inc. at P.O. Box 10834, Bradenton, FL, 34282-0834
or call 800-227-6728.  

	Plant Health Care, Inc. headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, provides
biologically based products and expert technical services that establish,
protect and enhance plant health for the commercial horticulture, forestry
and land restoration industries.