Subject: Re: Kiwi vines

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Doohan)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 02:29:01 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

>Can kiwi be grown from the seeds out of the supermarket kiwis?  I seem to have 
>a green thumb, and would like to try my luck and starting and growing my own 
>vines.  I live in Northeast Tennessee, so our climate is just barely warm 
>enough of the winter to let them survive.  Any starting, or growing 
>suggestions would be appreciated at [email-masked]

Thought I replied to this then lost it. So here I go again...

Hi there,  Kiwis are birds(of the feathered kind) <g>

Seriously, in our New Zealand Gardeners manual it states that...

"Male and female flowers are borne on separate plants and therefore it
is necessary to buy both a male and female plant, unless both have
been grafted onto one plant. Kiwifruit bears fruit on new current
seasons growth."
 So I don't think the seed will  work.

and again
"This vine crop is grown in most Northern and coastal areas. The
dormant plant is tolerant of moderate frost but the young growth and
fruit are harmed by late and early frosts and wind."
Our Northern and coastal areas it is grown in dominantly  have
temperatures for the year from -2 deg Celsius frosts to 30 deg Celsius

My suggestion for a successful vine would be to visit your local
nursery and make enquiries about purchasing a plant.

Stephen and Mary Doohan  (Kiwis of the human kind)
New Zealand.