Subject: Re: Soil problems and citrus

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 02:49:02 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
>Fungi (at least true fungi) don't have a cellulose barrier, but instead 
>have chitinous cell walls and the size of the molecules that they can 
>absorb is similarly constrained.  Hyphal absorption is thus concentrated 
>near the apex (as in roots) were the cell wall is more plastic and pore 
>sizes are larger.  Matthew F. 

.... and the benefit of the "right" kind of microbes and animals in
the soil is that they, especially the fungi in soil, secrete and break
down large organic molecules into smaller ones usefull to other
plants.. it is like bacteria in cows stomach that break down
cellulose..

---

From: [email-masked] (BRateaver)
Date: 3 May 1996 13:47:56 -0400

Please give me this shed light. I am always interested in learning.  Thank
you for your help.

B. Rateaver