Subject: Rooting Hormone Use

From: Kroin/Hortus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:01:24 -0700

RE USE OF ROOTING HORMONES:

Dear Farooq

Thank you for your questions.
(1) Most cuttings are propagated using IBA. NAA is a rooting inhibitor.
Under rare conditions is the combination necessary. Some few plants,
such as Yucca, only root with NAA. Carnation roots better with NAA but
will also root with IBA a bit slowers. In general, use IBA.

The next question is whether to use powder or liquid application. For
softwood and herbaceous cuttings we prefer total immerse then stick or
plant in media then spray until drip down. These methods use very low
conc. of solutions.

For harder cuttings we prefer dry powder application. Using the dry dip
method simply dip the basel end on the cutting 3/4-1 inch into the
powder and shake off until there is a uniform coating, then stick.

Under any method it is best to cool the cutting in a refrigerator, over
night, in a plastic bag. This will help to seal the wound and prevent
bacterial action. "callous forms at the end.

(2) use the LOWERST conc that will do the job. An excess  will inhibit
root formation.
In the case of DNG yes it would be an over dose. With our products we
use lower conc and produce more uniform results by (sometimes) using
longer soaks.

(3) Rhizopon AA is a family of root promoting products.

Rhizopon AA #1, #2 and #3 Dry Powder Rooting Hormones
are used to propagate new plants from cuttings by the dry dip method.
The powders are formulated to slow release the active ingredients by
that achieving high production yields and uniform symmetric roots.

Rhizopon AA #1, containing 0.1% IBA, is used to root herbaceous, leaf,
greenwood and softwood cuttings.

Rhizopon AA #2, containing 0.3% IBA, is used to root herbaceous,
greenwood, softwood and hardwood cuttings.

Rhizopon AA #3, containing 0.8% IBA, is used to root greenwood and
softwood and hardwood cuttings including hard to root cuttings.

Rhizopon AA Water Soluble Tablets
rooting hormones are used to propagate new plants from cuttings. Use to
root herbaceous, leaf, greenwood, softwood and hardwood cuttings
including house plants and woody ornamental plants.

The tablets contain fully soluble 20% IBA. You make your own fresh
solutions in any concentration. Simply count the pre-dosed tablets and
mix any volume. You apply by cost-effective methods: plant then spray on
the cuttings until a drip down, or total immerse the cuttings in a
basket, quick dip the basal end, or long soak the basal end then plant.

Rhizopon AA Water Soluble Tablet solutions improve transplant success
and overall growth by building strong fibrous root mass.

Ask your local distributor to order from (or you can order directly
from) master distributor:
V-J Growers Supply
800-327-5422  407-886-5555

(4) For most tropical (house plants) use either Rhizopon AA #1 or #2 or
Rhizopon AA Water Soluble Tablets total immerse a few seconds @ 2-4
tablets per liter of water then plant.

Regards
Joel

  ******************  Hortus USA Corp. ***************** 
   PO Box 1956 Old Chelsea Station, New York NY 10113 USA
          Rhizopon AA Dry Powders & Tablets for Solutions
                Plant Growth Regulator-Rooting Hormones
  ****************  [email-masked]  **************

Farooq M. Butt WRITES>
>1. Is either NAA or IBA preferred ? If so for what applications ? I 
>mean do softwood plants generally prefer one or something ? 
>
>2. Can one use TOO much rooting compound when rooting a plant ? If 
>so what are the effects of doing this?  I looked at a product called 
>Dip N Grow which is an IBA+NAA solution and it says to dip most 
>plants for 5 secs.  Is a longer drench problematic ? 
>
>3. What is this Rhizopon AA that I hear so much about? 
>
>4. You wouldn't happen to know what is the best rooting agent 
>to use on tropicals like plumeria ? 
>
>-regards
>fmb
>
>

-- 
  ******************  Hortus USA Corp. ***************** 
   PO Box 1956 Old Chelsea Station, New York NY 10113 USA
          Rhizopon AA Dry Powders & Tablets for Solutions
                Plant Growth Regulator-Rooting Hormones
  ****************  [email-masked]  **************

-- 
  ******************  Hortus USA Corp. ***************** 
   PO Box 1956 Old Chelsea Station, New York NY 10113 USA
          Rhizopon AA Dry Powders & Tablets for Solutions
                Plant Growth Regulator-Rooting Hormones
  ****************  [email-masked]  **************