Subject: FAQ for Alt.agriculture.Fruit-draft start/Help

From: [email-masked] (Dick.Bolt)
Date: 1 Apr 1996 15:29:04 GMT

This is only a start. Please help or contribute. Member of NAFEX Dick

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
This is to be an FAQ for the Usenet Newsgroup "Alt.Agriculture.Fruit"
started in 1993.

More Information via the Internet

http://www.aloha.com/%7Eritt/-----Fruit

http://www.crfg.org/----Fruit 

Start of Newsgroup/E-Mail discussions leading to creation

Newsgroups: alt.config
Path:
news1.gsfc.nasa.gov!ukma!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!mnemosyne.cs.du.edu!nyx!jfurr
From: [email-masked] (Joel Furr)
Subject: alt.agriculture.fruit (Was: Re: alt.fruit-Discussion on new group
proposed 
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Disclaimer: Nyx is a public access Unix system run by the University of
Denver for the Denver community.  The University has neither control over
nor responsibility for the opinions of users.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Sender: [email-masked] (netnews admin account)
Organization: Nyx, Public Access Unix at U. of Denver Math/CS dept.
References: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 93 18:07:43 GMT
Lines: 16

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Dick Bolt) writes:
>Alt.fruit could be the forum for the following discussions:
>* Fruit growing in USA and other countries
>* Tropical fruit growing and access to canned and fresh varities
>* US restrictions on entry for Foreign grown tropical fruit
>* Availability of English language manuals of fruit growing in foreign
countries 
>* Exchange of seeds
>* Sources in this country for ordering fresh tropical fruit
>
>This type of information is regulary published in such publications as
>NAFEX ( North American Fruit Explorers -1/4 ly); 
Tropical Fruit Growing >out of Miami: 
Fruit and Nut growers publications out of Penn.; 
and other >California fruit growing groups.

My guess is that "alt.agriculture.fruit" would be a better name.  People
have suggested other agricultural groups in the past and probably will
again.

Scion Wood
* Mark Scarinzi <[email-masked]>
Organization: University of Maryland, Baltimore County

Dose anyone have sources for scion wood in the Eastern US?

* NAFX has lists for exchanging in every 1/4 ly publication of Pamona.

Rambutan

This section is from the document '/npgs/pi/.data/pinv1992'.
PI 561015 to 561018. Nephelium lappaceum L.  SAPINDACEAE  Rambutan
Donated by: Knight, R.J., Subtropical Horticulture Research Unit, 13601 
Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida  33158, United States; and Schnell, 
R.J., Subtropical Horticulture Research Unit, 13601 Old Cutler Road, 
Miami, Hawaii  33158, United States; and Zee, F., USDA-ARS, 461 West 
Lanikaula Street, P.O. Box 4487, Hilo, Hawaii  96720, United States.  
Received August 26, 1991.

PI 561015  *  Nephelium lappaceum L. var. lappaceum  SAPINDACEAE 
              rambutan
              donor id: KSZ-4.  origin: Malaysia.  local name: 
              Rambutan.  collected: August 01, 1990.  collector: R. J. 
              Knight Jr., R. Schnell Jr., F. Zee..  collector id: 
              KSZ-4.  locality: Market, Kota Kinabalu, Philippine 
              market.  latitude: 05 deg. 58 min. N.  longitude: 116 
              deg. 04 min. E.  quarantine: Q.  remarks: Collectors 
              id#:KSZ-4. Collected at open market in Kota Kina- balu, 
              Sabah. Open pollinated seeds form an unknown grafted 
              variety. seed somewhat readily. Semi free stone.  
              Perennial.  Cultivated.  Seed.  

PI 561016  *  Nephelium lappaceum L. var. lappaceum  SAPINDACEAE 
              rambutan
              donor id: KSZ-5.  origin: Malaysia.  local name: 
              Rambutan.  collected: August 01, 1990.  collector: R. 
              Knight Jr., R. Schnell Jr., F. Zee.  collector id: KSZ-5. 
              locality: Market, Kota Kinabalu, Philippine market.  
              latitude: 05 deg. 58 min. N.  longitude: 116 deg. 04 min. 
              E.  quarantine: Q.  remarks: Collectors id#:KSZ-5. 
              Collected from an open market at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. 
              Seeds from an unknown grafted cultivar.  Perennial.  
              Cultivated.  Seed.  

PI 561017  *  Nephelium lappaceum L. var. lappaceum  SAPINDACEAE 
              rambutan
              donor id: KSZ-8.  origin: Malaysia.  local name: 
              Rambutan.  collected: August 03, 1990.  collector: R. 
              Knight Jr., R. Schnell Jr., F. Zee.  collector id: KSZ-8. 
              locality: Tree #1 at farmer's orchard, Tuaran-Sabah.  
              latitude: 06 deg. 11 min. N.  longitude: 116 deg. 14 min. 
              E.  quarantine: Q.  remarks: Collectors id#:KSZ-8. 
              Collected from an orchard in Tuaran, Sabah. variety, but 
              do not have information. Damage on fruit even from No 
              moth (CoCo moth). Other tree (different variety) had 
              larvae in fruit.  Perennial.  Cultivated.  Seed.  

PI 561018  *  Nephelium lappaceum L. var. lappaceum  SAPINDACEAE 
              rambutan
              donor id: KSZ-85.  origin: Malaysia.  origin institute: 
              Malaysian Ag. Res. and Dev. Inst.(MARDI), Selangor  
              Malaysia.  cultivar: Muar Gading.  local name: Rambutan.  
              collected: August 15, 1990.  collector: R.J. Knight, R.J. 
              Schnell, F. ZEE.  collector id: KSZ-85.  locality: 
              Germplasm collection at Mardi Station, Serdang, Selangor. 
              latitude: 03 deg. 18 min. N.  longitude: 101 deg. 35 min. 
              E.  quarantine: Q.  remarks: Collectors id#:KSZ-85. 
              Collected from MARDI germplasm field at Serdang. Donated 
              by Mr. Chan Ying Kwok, Deputy Director, MARDI.  
              Perennial.  Clone.  Scion.  

Mangosteen
This section is from the document '/npgs/pi/.data/pinv1992'.

PI 560992. Garcinia mangostana L.  CLUSIACEAE  Mangosteen

Donated by: Knight, R.J., Subtropical Horticulture Research Unit, 13601 
Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida  33158, United States; and Schnell, 
R.J., Subtropical Horticulture Research Unit, 13601 Old Cutler Road, 
Miami, Hawaii  33158, United States; and Zee, F., USDA-ARS, 461 West 
Lanikaula Street, P.O. Box 4487, Hilo, Hawaii  96720, United States.  
Received August 26, 1991.

PI 560992     donor id: KSZ-51.  origin: Malaysia.  local name: Manggis 
              (Mangosteen).  collected: August 08, 1990.  collector: 
              R.J. Knight, R.J. Schnell, F. Zee.  collector id: KSZ-51. 
              locality: Ulu Dusun Agricultural Experiment Station, 
              Sandakan, Sabah.  latitude: 05 deg. 04 min. N.  
              longitude: 118 deg. 53 min. E.  remarks: Tree evergreen, 
              moderate size. Fruit flavor excellent. Fruit color 
              purple. Fruit size and shape like that of a tangerine. 8 
              seeds.  Cultivated.  Seed. 

Philippines Tropical Fruit/June-July

   * Found Micopa in Baggio, but could not get it to ripen after  picked
>from  tree !
   * Enjoyed chicos ( Thai/ large & local smaller)
   *rambotans
   * ???    chalk fruit 
   * coconuts
   * pippia
   * mangos
   * sour Mango(shakes/drinks)
   * Mangosteen
   * leachi?,