Subject: Those beastly cutworms

From: [email-masked] (MARSHA LEFLER)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:42:48 GMT

Does anyone out there know how I can eliminate these nasty pests organically.  
We seem to be overrun with them this year.  I've put collars around my 
brassicas, but we have lost a lot of our leeks.  

We are in the process of trying Mikrokill, but it is very expensive and we 
have a larger area than 200 sq ft.  Also, does anyone know how long it takes 
for Mikrokill to reduce drastically or eliminate its prey?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Marsha Lefler

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Jun 1996 16:44:22 GMT

>brassicas, but we have lost a lot of our leeks.  

According to Organic Gardening magazine, nematodes will munch cutworms,
as well as bean beetle larvae (which are currently chewing my pole beans), but
I don't know anything about application, cost, etc. I've ordered a catalog from
a mail order firm which supplies them, but haven't received it yet.

-- Dian

---

From: [email-masked](E.T.)
Date: 21 Jul 1996 20:58:42 GMT

What is the best way to remove Woodchucks from the garden?
ET

---

From: [email-masked] (Felix E. Tilley)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:00:52 -0700

> What is the best way to remove Woodchucks from the garden?

I recommend a Crossman Pellet gun.  If you are a good shot, you can
terminate the little buggers, and your neighbors will never hear a
thing.  I use the Crossman 760, an old model.  It is really out of
date, but it shoots damnably well.

FET

---

From: Jonathan Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:49:52 +0000

>>FET

Oh Ok, first we take their habitats
Now we might as well exterminate them.

If anyone out their is more compassionate than FET,
then you may want to consider other methods for dealing with 
woodchucks.

jbs

---

From: michael@helium (Michael Courtney)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 18:13:34 GMT

Jonathan Simon ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Oh Ok, first we take their habitats
: Now we might as well exterminate them.

: If anyone out their is more compassionate than FET,
: then you may want to consider other methods for dealing with 
: woodchucks.

I find a 12 gauge works well for woodchucks (racoons and deer too).  

--
Michael Courtney, Ph. D. 
[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick M. Phillips" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:24:25 -0100

At least FET gave some sort of an answer, not a criticism.  And to 
FET...Which do you find more effective .177 or .22 caliber.

Pat

---

From: [email-masked] (Ribes60)
Date: 25 Jul 1996 15:01:30 -0400

In this case "bigger is better" even .22 is very light.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:03:49 GMT

... my two springers cornered a woodchuck.. I called them off altho they dispatch rabbits just
fine... can woodchucks hurt a dog?.. solo

On Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:57:34 GMT, [email-masked] (DDDDDDDD) wrote:

>Moth balls (naphthalene) will drive off some.
>They can be poisoned with alluminum phosphide, sometimes known as
>'woodchuck bombs'.
>CropDoc
>