Subject: what kind of plum

From: [email-masked] (Peter Benjamin Sharvy)
Date: 6 Nov 1995 21:57:32 -0800

I've got what appear to be some sort of not very tasty plums naturalized 
in my yard--a weed, really--and I'm hoping for more specific info about 
them, and whether they can pollinate a better fruiting species.

There are two types: green leaves with yellow fruit, and red leaves with
red fruit. I've got this hunch that the origin of this plant in my yard is
that the red kind is an ornamental that naturalizes in my area (Eugene,
OR), and the green-leaved kind is a seedling of it, since I can't see any
particular reason to buy the green-leaved kind. (They both have nice
flowers, though.) They are small somehwat shrubby trees, the red seems to
be slightly more spreading; the green tends to be thorny. The leaves are
small. The fruit is about an inch in diameter with a relatively large pit
and somewhat oval. The white flowers come early in March. 

So, are these plums? If so, what kind? Will they pollinate European or 
Japanese plums, or any other good-fruiting kind?
-- 
DEFINITIONS
Dumb Bird.  An entity incapable of surviving without old growth.
Logger.  A kind of dumb bird.

---

From: "M. Counides" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Nov 1995 15:14:29 GMT

Why not use your old bad tasting plums as a root stock for some good plum 
varieties. See your county ag agent for advice on grafting those babies 
over.  A friend last spring changed 50 Rome apples into Fujis.