Subject: Leatherjacket larvae

From: [email-masked] (MARSHA LEFLER)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:51:50 GMT

We seem to have an over population of larvae this year.  When it rains they 
come out onto the driveway and road and believe me when I say there are 
thousands!!!   They are in our flower beds (especially the strawberries) and 
in the vegetable beds.  We've lost some brassicas and they obviously like 
leeks.  Is there anything in the line of a vegetable that they do not like.  
How can I get rid of these darlings.  We bought Mikrokill but haven't put it 
in the soil yet.  How long does it take before our vegetable beds will be safe 
to put my transplants in.  They're ready to go in now.  Any suggestions how to 
alleviate the damage to my vegetables until these nematodes get active in my 
soil.  

They seem to like strawberry roots.  When I was weeding the strawberries, just 
by leaning my hand on the soil brought out hundreds to the surface.  

Could this be why my asparagus is not looking well this year?
Could this be why some of my perennials are stunted compared to the same plant 
right beside it?  

What can I do now so that I can get my garden going.

---

From: [email-masked] (BRateaver)
Date: 23 Jul 1996 17:49:59 -0400

You can use rotenone (derris), but that is quite a harsh botanical poison.
Your soil is inadequate, and that is why you have pest attacks. Soil is
the basis of plant health. You should amend your soil right away.

B. Rateaver