Subject: Permaculture Design Course August 6-20, 1995

From: [email-masked] (Eric J Morris)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 15:13:09 -0800

Permaculture Design Course    August 6-20, 1995
A two-week intensive in sustainable systems design
Orcas Island San Juan Islands, Washington

Instructed by: 
Michael Pilarski
Founder:  Friends of the Trees Society. 
Joe Bullock, Sam Bullock, Doug Bullock  World-travelled horticulturists. +
Guest Speakers.

Course Topics:
* Permaculture methodology * Permaculture principles * Ethics  of
permaculture * Observation skills * Site analysis * Mapping * Tree crops *
Wildcrafting * Medicinal herbs * Organic gardening * Organic agriculture *
Agroforestry systems * Edible landscaping * Land trusts * Aquaculture *
Greenhouses * Erosion control * Sustainable forestry * Ecosystem
Restoration * Livestock and wildlife * Urban permaculture * Appropriate
energy * Village development * Networking & research * Intentional 
communities * Intgrated Pest Management * Working  in the Third World *
Formal and informal economies * and much more.

About Permaculture:
* Permaculture is the art of putting yourself in symbiotic relationship
with Gaia and with other people. * Permaculture is wedded to place, with
reliance on native plants, and a close eye on the ecosystem.  *
Permaculture is about self-reliance, growing food, and building creative,
beautiful, energy-efficient structures from local materials. *
Permaculture is multiple-story, agroforestry systems using tree crops,
shrubs, vines and herbaceous plants in symbiotic assemblages which are
highly productive. 

About the Course:
The main purpose of the course is to impart permaculture principles and
methodologies which can be applied anywhere in the world.  Through
lecture, discussion, observation, and hands-on experiential learning,
permaculture design students will develop the practical skills and
knowledge to design and implement sustainable  systems that are in
harmony  with the  natural world.  

Certification:
Course graduates will be certified as Permaculture Design Trainees, and
after two years experience will be eligible for Applied Permaculture
Design diplomas. 

Instructors:
Michael Pilarski is founder of Friends of the Trees Society (1978) and a
well-known permaculture educator, writer and networker.  Michael has been
practicing organic farming and gardening for 20 years and has taught in
the United States, British Columbia, Australia, Nepal, and Belize.   Joe
Bullock, Sam Bullock and Doug Bullock, world-travelled horticulturists,
have an encyclopedic knowledge of useful plants from tropical to
cold-temperate climates. They have been  developing their homestead for
over 13 years using permaculture principles.

Course Site & Facilities:
The seminar will be held at the homestead of the Bullock Brothers near
Deer Harbor on Orcas Island. The Bullock homestead has lots of examples of
permaculture design and implementation; with an incredible diversity of
fruits, edible ornamentals, native, rare, and unusual plants. It is one of
the premier permaculture sites in the PNW. The unique setting has many
micro-climates including south-facing, rocky hillsides, forest, and marsh.
   Rustic facilities include: classroom space in as converted greenhouse,
summer kitchen, sun showers, hot tubs, and fire circle. Three tasty,
wholesome meals a day will be provided, featuring local, organic food. 
Participants can bring a tent and camp out.  There is space for camper
vans. Local accomodations may be arranged.

Course Tuition:  
Tuition for the course is $750 to $650 self-set sliding scale. This
includes instruction, meals, curriculum materials, campsite, use of
facilities and a year subscription to The Permaculture Activist.  Several
partial scholarships are available to Third World or Native American
people. A $100 dollar deposit (non-refundable) is required with
registration. The remainder is due on or before August 6, 1995. Single day
attendance is possible at $50 per day. 

   The course will be preceded by  the Pacific Northwest Permaculture
Rendezvous on July 28-30. Course participants are invited to attend both
events and stay on for additional hands-on experience in the intervening
week. 

For details contact:  
Friends of the Trees, PO Box 4469, Bellingham, WA 98227  Phone/Fax:
360-738-4972  
or: Doug Bullock, Mike Lockman  PO Box 109, Deer Harbor, WA 98243
360-376-2071 (evenings) or Sam Bullock 360-376-2773 (evenings)