Subject: Applications of Differential GPS

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Aug 1995 11:57:44 GMT

As a research professional in the field of Forestry and Agriculture you are
familiar with the GPS system for world-wide navigation and its impact on data
collection and mapping. Currently a newer, enhanced system is impacting the way all
researchers, farmers, agronomists and surveyors are conducting business, Differential GPS. 
Differential Global Positioning Systems (DGPS) provide navigation accuracy to within one
(1) meter.  This accuracy is invaluable to researchers, boaters, farmers and surveyors. 
DGPS is quickly becoming necessary equipment for all precise navigation and mapping
users. Now this accuracy is available to anyone who needs to return to the same
sample point month after month, or document findings based on the accuracy
standard established by the government authority on DGPS.  Starlink, Inc., is
presently working with the U.S. Coast Guard, Army Corps of Engineers and the
Canadian Coast Guard to provide this differential accuracy across the
continent and Hawaii.  Soon it will be required on all large commercial ships
operating in designated waterways.    
We at Starlink have been pioneers with the use of Differential GPS within the
shipping industry. We have an established and proven record of dependability
and workmanship within our products.  Our systems are the only systems, used
in agriculture and GIS applications, built to standards established by the
U.S. Coast Guard and specifications designed to last in the harsh environment
of commercial shipping.  Many other systems are built to their own production
standards, which are far less stringent than the only government established
specifications.  
Our DNAV-212 Differential GPS has received tremendous attention over the last
six months as a result of the success that our customers have been reporting
and the interest that the agriculture
and conservation communities have generated in precision farming and GIS
mapping.  Precision Agriculture is now possible with this new technology and
research is producing greater than expected results.  The use of fertilizers
and pesticides can be 'prescribed' to minimize the amount used.  This results
in better crops and less impact on the environment.  With a DGPS unit you are
capable of returning to the "exact spot" to record observations or collect
samples.  This system is accurate enough to save individual tree locations as 
way-points, adding precision to your production management information.
Our DNAV-212 DGPS is a complete 12-volt system that is designed to
integrate with all GIS software, variable-rate samplers, or as a stand-alone
navigation system that runs on your notebook personal computer (386 or
better).  It is small enough to mount on an ATV or in a john-boat.  Our
system easily interfaces with all the modern harvest yield monitors and
variable-rate machinery.  We guarantee that our system will work with any 
equipment the customer chooses to use.
Our system takes advantage of the free correction signal provided by the
Coast Guard and the Army Corps of Engineers eliminating the need for
customers to pay a subscription fee to a private FM correction broadcaster.
This also insures that the correction signal will be maintained for years to
come. 
As a research professional I hope this information will be useful to you or
your colleagues.  If you require any additional information about our DGPS
receivers or the application possibilities of DGPS to your research please
e-mail me at [email-masked], call (404) 424-8634, or visit Starlinks 
Home Page  http://www.realtime.net/~dfowler.  Please mention where you 
obtained this information.  Kindest regards,  Robert Mullins.