Subject: Re: Strawberry Time! Help expand small fruit gene bank.

From: [email-masked] (William Liebsch)
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 19:23:28 GMT

*******************************BIOSCAN-1**************************************
-------------You wear it in the waist band of your underwear-----------------
*********************************for******************************************
 
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Erection Perfection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"BIOSCAN-1" is a device improving sexual potention. The device has passed
 medical testing in the clinics of sexopathology of Scientific-Research
 Institute of Urology and Nephrology of Academy of Medical Sciences of
 Ukraine and obtained high positive results and is recommended for wide
 usage in medical practice by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine.

"BIOSCAN-1" is a miniature generator of magnetic pulses, the action of
 which is based on correction of physiological processes of a human body,
 namely male sexual organ which is corrected by influencing them with
 magnetic field pulses, which is created by the sequence of pulse packets.

Conclusions: Based on the studies done by the Ministry of Health of
 Ukraine in 1994:

1. The device "BIOSCAN-1" has stimulating effect on libido and erections.
 Device effeciency has been tested and  shows a 70% success rate for
 increase of libido and 80% success rate for increase of adequate erections. 

2. The usage of the device "BIOSCAN-1" does not provide any undesirable
 side effects.

3. High positive effect, simplicity and safety of usage makes it possible
 to recommend device "BIOSCAN-1" for implementation.

Taking into account the results of medical testing made by the Institute
 of Urology and Nephrology of the Academy of Medical Science of Ukraine
 and the high scientific and technical level of the device "BIOSCAN-1",
 which complies with the best foreign analogues (the BIOPOTENSOR in
 Germany is sold by medical prescription @ $150.00 ea.), as well as 
considerable demand of the suggested device by medical establishments,
 The Committee on New Medical Technics allows production and implementation
 of the above mentioned device " BIOSCAN-1".

Disclaimer.
Due to the long approval procedure as a medical device in the USA, this
 product is being offered with a 90 day money back guarantee and for
 novelty purposes only
-------------------------------------------------------------------
********* @ $75.00 + $8.00 shipping and handling each.*************
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

Major Credit Cards Accepted (Mastercard, Visa, Discovery, American Express)
Volume Customers or Dealers Welcome! 
 We are the exclusive world wide distributors for this product.

Call to Order or send your check to:
Market Sales Company 
[email-masked]
10664 E. Barclay Park Loop 
Tucson, AZ. 85748
520-298-0002
520-298-0004 fax

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Postman)
Date: 25 May 1995 17:59:00 GMT

HELP EXPAND COLLECTION OF STRAWBERRY GENETIC RESOURCES
      ____________________________________________________
  
  Second Post
  Much thanks to those who have responded, and who have already sent seeds. 

   -------------
   You are invited to participate in an experiment in wide-area germplasm
collection.  Please feel free to forward this message to school teachers 
or other appropriate individuals.

   At the National Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis, Oregon, we
maintain plant germplasm collections of several temperate fruit and nut
crops.  These plant collections are freely available to plant breeders and
other researchers around the world.  I would like to test the possibility
of using the internet to access and assemble seed collections of an easily
identified, and easily extracted wild fruit plant.  Wild strawberries 
are beginning to ripen in much of North America, and depending on your 
latitude and elevation may continue during the next month or two.  Wild 
Fragaria virginiana here in Western Oregon are just starting to ripen. 

     We are interested in expanding our collection of *wild* and
preferably *native* strawberry germplasm.  Geographic regions of North
America that are NOT well represented in our strawberry gene bank include
the mid-west, south-east, and south-west U.S. (except California), Alaska,
and central to eastern Canada.  Out of the 50 United States, more than 25
are not represented in our collection!  Seed samples from everywhere
outside of North America are also needed. 

   If you would like to participate in this effort, and enjoy a bit of
your local outdoor environment, please do the following: 

1.  Watch for a patch of wild strawberries in your part of the world.  We
do *not* want seed from cultivated varieties in a garden, or from plants
that may have escaped from cultivation, but from plants that appear to be
a part of the native vegetation. 

2.  If there are ripe fruit present, pick a handful of fruit and place in
a small bag.  Even 5 - 10 fruit will contain a useful quantity of seed,
and no more than 25 fruit from a site are needed.  Be sure to eat some of
the fruit around you and enjoy this spring treat.  This is an excellent
activity for those with young children!  (SCHOOL TEACHERS TAKE NOTE)

3.  Strawberry plants growing very close together may actually be a single
clone, so to get a better representation of the genetic diversity it is
better to collect fruit from several scattered plants at one location.  

(I am only asking for a single sample from each participant.  If you wish
to make additional collections from different locations, or from plants
that appear to be a different species, that would be great.)

4.  Please also collect 2-3 average leaves from the plants to aid us in
species identification.  These can be flattened and dried inside a folded
paper towel. 

5.  Strawberry seeds are easily separated from ripe fruit by placing them
in a household blender with a cup of water and blending at high speed for
just a few seconds. (Not too long, or the seeds may be damaged).  The good
seeds will settle to the bottom, and the fruit pulp and unripe seeds will
float.  Wait a minute or so for the seeds to settle, and pour off the
liquid. The seeds can then be rinsed or scraped out and allowed to dry on
a paper towel. 

   Or, just send the fruit and we will extract the seeds here.  If you are
outside the United States, please extract the seeds, as fresh fruit may
harbor pests and should not be sent into the U.S. from abroad. 

6.  Place the dried seeds, along with a brief note describing where they were
collected, in an envelope and send to the address below.  We would like 
enough information to be able to estimate your latitude, longitude, and 
elevation from our maps.  Comments about the local environment (soil, 
climate, other nearby vegetation) while appreciated, are not necessary.   
Please also enclose the dried leaves, and your name and address so that 
we can acknowledge you as the collector.

7.  There are *no* quarantine restrictions against shipping strawberry
seeds, or dried leaf specimens into or within the United States. 

8.  Seed samples will be deposited in the U.S. National Plant Germplasm
System's repository in Corvallis, Oregon, with your name as the
donor/collector.  We will germinate a few seeds from samples that
represent unique species, or under-represented geographic areas.  Plants
will be evaluated for horticultural and botanical characteristics, and all
samples will be made available to researchers around the world. 

   I will send a brochure describing our plant germplasm conservation
program, and a summary of samples received through this internet
experiment to anyone who participates.  Thank you for your assistance.  

Plant Identification Note:  There are two genera that are easily confused 
with strawberry.  Strawberries nearly always have WHITE flowers.  Potentilla 
and Duchesnea may have very similar leaves and fruit, but most have 
yellow flowers (and the fruit is not sweet).

 Please send seed samples to:

	Strawberry Project
	National Clonal Germplasm Repository
	33447 Peoria Road
	Corvallis, Oregon 97333
	USA

 ============================================================================
       Joseph D. Postman        |       N ational            \
      -PLANT PATHOLOGIST-       |       C lonal            /,,,,\   Eat More
     [email-masked]      |       G ermplasm         \,,,,/   Fruit!
     [email-masked]     |       R epository         \,,/
 ============================================================================
	USDA/Agricultural Research Service, Corvallis, Oregon, USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Sheri McRae)
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 1995 11:18:53 +1000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (William

>  product is being offered with a 90 day money back guarantee and for

This does not pertain to rec.gardens in the slightest.

   Sheri McRae                           [email-masked]
If I had been present at creation I would have given some useful hints.    -    Alfonso the Wise