Subject: Re: Peach leaf curl

From: [email-masked] (Tr293swen)
Date: 3 Jul 1996 01:44:47 -0400

Peach leaf curl is a fungus. A lime-sulfer or copper spray should be
applied in mid-December and Mid-January and just to be safe, the end of
January. During these times the scales in the buds "pulse," open slightly
allowing the fungal spore to enter and infect the leaves that will form in
the spring.  The October spray of copper is to control a bacterial blight
that infects the terminal buds, and should be applied when about 2/3's of
the leaves have fallen.  Just imagine that every drop of rain has a peach
leaf curl fungus in it and you will not be disapointed. If you cover the
tree so that no moisture touches any of the stems from December through
the end of February will will not have peach leaf curl. If all else fails
select a cultivar that is reistant to peach leaf curl.

---

From: "counides,m" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jul 1996 12:36:01 -0700

>select a cultivar that is reistant to peach leaf curl.

My friend says to drench the tree with the lime sulfur.  If there is snow 
on the ground it should look like a big dog peed there. You should see 
lots of yellow.

Naomi Counides
Associated Beefalo of Idaho

---

From: David Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 19:50:18 -0700

BRateaver wrote:
> 
> It is not a virus , but a fungus disease. It should clear up if sprayed
> with solution of magnesium sulfate, Epsom salts, 1 tablespoon to 1 gal
> water, and if also the soil is drenched with it.
> 
> B. Rateaver

	Although a lack of magnesium can certainly cause Peach Leaf Curl to be 
worse than it would otherwise be, if you have a severe infestation, further 
measures are required. Here's an except from an email I sent to a friend in 
February:

 Peach Leaf Curl is a host-specific fungal disease that can infect 
Peach trees, and to a lesser degree, Apricot trees. This disease 
appears in spring if there has been prolonged wet weather just as 
the new growth is developing.  Leaves that are infected become thick, 
curled and have reddish brown discolourations on them. This causes the 
leaves to eventually drop. Heavy leaf infection and subsequent leaf 
drop may reduce crop and tree vigour. Only developing leaves are 
susceptible, therefore it is essential that fungicides be applied 
before the buds break. Chemical control measures are of no value after 
the disease becomes evident.

Chemical control measures include:
[1] Good control may be obtained with a dormant spray of ferbam or 
lime-sulphur in the mid-winter, before bud development begins.
[2] A spray of fixed copper (copper oxychlorate) applied after 
harvest in September will give adequate control of peach leaf curl in 
most years. However, in wet years, the late winter dormant spray 
listed above is also needed.

Cultural controls include:
[1] Hand picking any diseased leaves from the tree to reduce the 
spreading of the disease to other parts of the tree.
[2] Raking up leaves as they fall from the peach tree in autumn on a 
weekly basis. The fungal spores of peach leaf curl can overwinter in 
the ground, only to re-infect the tree in the following spring.
[3] Planting the tree against the wall of a house or building so that 
the eaves of the building prevent the spring rains from landing on 
the tree. The rain would otherwise cause the fungal spores to 
germinate and infect the foliage on the tree.

Hope that this all helps !

	- David Lewis