Subject: Re: Sweet Cherry trees and Cross-pollinating

From: [email-masked] (Peter Benjamin Sharvy)
Date: 2 Jun 1996 10:26:39 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

>[email-masked] (KHAN  Qaiser Mohammed) wrote:
>>I can go pick-up a new tree if I need to.  We added a peach tree to our yard
>>last year - can this provide the necessary cross-pollination?

>.. peaches are different genus, so could not pollinate.... Ingrid

Peach and cherry are the same genus: prunus. (but they don't cross-pollinize)
-- 
"Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God, who permits the forbidden."
--Rabbi Shabbetai Zevi 1626-?

---

From: [email-masked] (SMarsh8888)
Date: 4 Jun 1996 16:26:54 -0400

The problem is that the trees are too young to produce fruit, usually a
cherry tree won't produce any fruit untill the third year, and then the
amount will be small.  I would say just a wait a few more years and you
should have fruit.

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen J. Michielsen)
Date: 5 Jun 1996 16:00:24 GMT

>amount will be small.  I would say just a wait a few more years and you

I would repeat this advice.  From my experience with young apple trees
(and I assume from my experience with cherries that they will be the
same) ...   The small trees internally are building branching limbs
when they are small.  When something happens (some critical size or
time factor: ie when it is ready),  the tree will start growing
blooming branches.   For small, growing, production trees, pruning
appears to be critical in increasing the volume of blooming.  Even
after blooming starts, I have had a few trees which did not set any of
the blossoms the first couple years: In spite of my visual inspection
which indicated that fertilization should have occured.

al

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 9 Jun 1996 12:45:37 -0400

Subject: Sweet Cherry trees and Cross-pollinating
From: [email-masked] (KHAN  Qaiser Mohammed)
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 17:10:00 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

>>>We bought two cherry treees less than two years ago, a Bing, and a
Napolean
Bigarreau (both sweet cherry(.  The people at the garden centre didn't say
anything, but we got an "info sheet" that tells which kind of trees need
cross-pollination.  It says for cherries:

"cross Bing with Van and vice versa, Hedelfingen, Napolean."

Does this mean we have a wrong match?  Last summer, one of the trees
managed
to produce one cherr, (which never ripened), and that's all.
I can go pick-up a new tree if I need to.  We added a peach tree to our
yard
last year - can this provide the necessary cross-pollination?

I would appreciate any comments.<<<

   Following the thread has given some useful info on pollinizers (sources
of compatible pollen), but no one has mentioned pollinators.

   There seems to be an underlying assumption that bees will come.  Is
this a valid assumption?

[email-masked]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554