Subject: Re: What kind of PEAR?

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 26 Jul 1996 23:28:01 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, Vikki Papesh
<"[email-masked]"@voyager.net> writes:

>Subject:	What kind of PEAR?
>From:	Vikki Papesh <"[email-masked]"@voyager.net>
>Date:	Mon, 22 Jul 1996 22:29:13 -0400
>
>This weekend I found out (with the help of some industrious squirrels) 
>that my nearly two hundred year old, 9 foot circumference, 40+ foot tall 
>apple tree is NOT an apple tree--it's a pear!  The leaves are round, 
>fuzzy, soft; the young branches and suckers look just like an apple; the 
>trunk is full of knobs from which sprout plentiful new twigs; the bark 
>is cinnamon colored and scaly, with a thin layer of gray outer bark.  
>The immature fruit is already 3" long, and is a smooth rich green with 
>no freckling and a long, narrow neck.  It sure doesn't look like my 
>Bartlett or my grandma's old Bartlett, or the Seckels I picked as a kid. 
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

   That's awesome!   I've seen a quince that was nearly that tall, but I
can't imagine a pear.  Could this be?

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554