Subject: 'Roundup' on young apples trees

From: Bob Barthel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:26:15 -0500

Hi,
I'm wondering what the current opinion is regarding the use of 
glyphosate (Roundup) on young trees.  My state (Wisconsin) recommends to 
avoid contact with the bark of trees less than two year old.  What is a 
"two year old tree"?  Second leaf (i.e planted 94 - roundup ok spring 
96?)?  Second year after budding?

Growers at the Penticton BC IDFTA conference recommended painting the 
trunk of "young" trees with a mixture of latex paint and a product 
called "Heal and Seal".  I've been unable to locate "Heal and Seal".  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or direct experiences.
Bob Barthel
Barthel Fruit Farm
Mequon, WI

---

From: [email-masked] (Bytz for Bratz)
Date: 24 Apr 1996 23:26:55 GMT

>96?)?  Second year after budding?

2nd leaf is what is intended by the statement given.

>Thanks in advance for any suggestions or direct experiences.

Heal & Seal isn't required. I have used Roundup on 2nd leaf trees 
extensively without problems. In the Okanagan, a white latex paint 
applied to the bottom 12-18" is advisable for both herbicide 
protection and winter protection. Just DON'T get Roundup on any 
leaves on young trees. Better yet, use Gramoxone....the worst thing 
you will do is torch the bark and leaves a little (unless you really 
soak the tree down!!).

Lance

---

From: "M. Counides" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Apr 1996 12:14:01 -0700

Apples are very sensitive to Round-up.  Make sure it is a calm day with no 
drift when you spray. Horizontal cracking in your fruit  means you were 
not careful enough. (the fruit is still edible)

Naomi Counides
Associated Beefalo of Idaho

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Cahn)
Date: 25 Apr 1996 00:10:15 GMT

I don't see any problem with round-up if you are careful .  Just use a 
plain white latex  paint,  heal and seal is mostly for large gashes or 
large prune spots.  You need to try a farm co-op type store to find it.
-
  STEVEN CAHN  [email-masked]