Subject: Boycott all french products- please forward

From: Nadav Shashar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:44:33 -0400

It seems that the french govermment will keep on nucking the pacific at 
will with larger and larger "devices". International protest does not 
have any effect- maybe an economic protest will.
	I call on you to pledge to boycott ALL french products (not only 
wines) for a duration of time off your will.
	Take a personal commitment- for example:

	I- Nadav Shashar vow not to buy any french made product for the 
coming 12 months in protest of the french govermment nuclear testings.

Please forward this message wherever you can 

*******************************************               *****
*   Nadav Shashar                         *            *         *
*   Dept. Of Biological Sciences          *          *  @       @  *
*   U.M.B.C.,   Baltimore, MD, 21228, US  *          *      |      * 
*   Phone: (410) 455-3499                 *          *  +       +  *
*   Fax:   (410) 455-3875                 *            *  +++++   *
*******************************************               *****

---

From: Kyle Chen <weichen>
Date: 6 Oct 1995 20:23:55 GMT

when everyone here is stupidly shouting out to block French government's
nuclear tests, have they thought about how the usa government gained the
technology to build the nucler weapons which it certainly has the biggest
nuclear weapons in the world. 

The nuclear weapons aren't something that can be tested in just a tiny lab.
French scienctist need places to gain the crucial data of the nuclear weapons.
and it is fair for them to go aboard, because they don't have any useful land
that in their own country to test. 

I just want to remind everyone that don't be fooled by the simple fact, just
remember that no matter how the French scientists do, they still won't produce
enough nuclear weapons usa has. 

So it is just a matter of time, the usa government has already done so, so it
doesn't want others to do it. They want to block the French's nuclear test, it
is not for the peace. because in that way, french won't be able to gain the
technology that can balance the only world super power. 

So if you can think this way, you can analysis for yourself that if you have
been fooled by someone else or were just angered by what the Frenchmen are
going to do?

---

From: [email-masked] (Michel Maisonneuve)
Date: 5 Oct 1995 23:56:35 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>coming 12 months in protest of the french govermment nuclear testings.

I would like the french government to try nuclear devices away from
Polynesia

How about bombing this F.animal ?

---

From: [email-masked] (scott douglas mc clurg)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 00:36:26 GMT

>The nuclear weapons aren't something that can be tested in just a tiny lab.

No . . . but your apartment might be a suitable place.  (Considering all
of the cross posts on the original, I should probably also cross this
over to alt.tasteless but . . . I don't want to reintroduce those people
to this group . . . again.)

Kyle, get your groups right.  (I'd think you were trolling IF I thought
you were smart enough to act this stupid, but its got to be natural.)

scott m.
LCA  ZI 771
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!

---

From: [email-masked] (jonathan rumble)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 18:13:38 GMT

Kyle Chen (weichen) wrote:
: when everyone here is stupidly shouting out to block French government's
: nuclear tests, have they thought about how the usa government gained the
: technology to build the nucler weapons which it certainly has the biggest
: nuclear weapons in the world. 

: The nuclear weapons aren't something that can be tested in just a tiny lab.
: French scienctist need places to gain the crucial data of the nuclear weapons.
: and it is fair for them to go aboard, because they don't have any useful land
: that in their own country to test. 

: I just want to remind everyone that don't be fooled by the simple fact, just
: remember that no matter how the French scientists do, they still won't produce
: enough nuclear weapons usa has. 

: So it is just a matter of time, the usa government has already done so, so it
: doesn't want others to do it. They want to block the French's nuclear test, it
: is not for the peace. because in that way, french won't be able to gain the
: technology that can balance the only world super power. 

: So if you can think this way, you can analysis for yourself that if you have
: been fooled by someone else or were just angered by what the Frenchmen are
: going to do?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're exactly right and exactly wrong.  Yes, the US did extensively
test nuclear weapons during the Cold War.  But, it is precisely for
this reason that the French should not test their nuclear weapons.  We
now know that it was wrong for the Americans to have tested and for
the French to test in the face of that is, well, completely
wrong.  So please don't defend something that has been proven to be
wrong..
				Rumble
--

-------------------
End of network mail

---

From: Christian Labadie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 1995 21:42:52 +0100 (MET)

On 7 Oct 1995, jonathan rumble wrote:

> : nuclear weapons in the world... 
> 

It seems to me that the Lawrence-Livermore-Laboratory is still active in 
designing nuclear bombs of smaller size.  Could anyone confirm that ?

In both cases, France and USA, it seems to me that we are dealing with
large research administrations (namely the DEO,USA and the CEA,France)
which have had difficulties reconverting their activities.  I believe that
the fear of unemployment is playing a factor in how those administrations
are pushing to resume nuclear research.  Since 1990, most research grants
have been reduced.  Does anyone agree with that point of view ?

I do agree, that whatever the USA have, are or will be testing, it is no
reasons for France to proceed with further testings.  Having acquired the
know-how, it would represent no extensive work to start a large production
of a nuclear weapons of whatever designs in a small amount of time.  Thus
the production question seems rather irrelevant.  The acquisition of
knowledge is enough of a threat to the humanity as are all mass-killing
weapons.

Another point which is rather concerning, is that France argues it needs
those testing to complete its defence system.  But on the other hand
Minister Jupe has constently been opposed to the lift of the arm-embargo
for the Bosnian goverment, who needed to defense itself.  We are dealing,
in my opinion, with a kind of new geopolitics in a Ratzel/Heideger sense,
which would define a set of countries who would be self-allowed to acquire
large scale weapons. 

Christian Labadie

---

From: Dave Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 OCT 95 14:42:58 EST

>Please forward this message wherever you can
No need to be an alarmist.  They're not firing it at us or any
other country.  No big deal.

--Dave

   ***********************************************************
   * David Rosenberg               [email-masked] *
   * University of Georgia     "ATTENTION AOL USERS: AOL has *
   * Athens, Georgia         admitted to monitoring e-mails" *
   ***********************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (clovis lark)
Date: 10 Oct 95 21:34:04 GMT

>Boycotting French products is counter productive. It may possibly
>affect workers, manufacturers and producers in France. These people do
>not set French government policy, not will you influence their
>government this way. I will continue to buy French wines, golden
>delicious apples and any other product which meets my needs.

Imagine these comments in another context, say of the 1930's-40's.  Do
you still feel the same way about boycotts?  What you suggest by your
comments is that you feel no need for justification for your behavior nor
that this behavior has any consequences.  On an individual level, this may
seem irrelevant, but on a mass level...  Internationally, the French government
actively promotes and sells French products.  The very same institution which
you say should be attacked directly for its nuclear policy.  Whether you like
it or not, the majority of France placed this government with its stated
objectives into power earlier this year.  The voters must accept culpability
for the nuclear policy.

>France has a democratically elected government and it is a sovereign
>state. I suggest you use democratic methods if you want the government
>to change its policy.

And, aside from a boycott, what external democratic method would you use?
NZ has the issue up in the World Court.  Even if the court rules against
France, do you think Chirac will respect the decision?

>You seem to be posting from the USA. There are some things about the
>USA I don't like, but that does not stop me buying US products where
>they meet my needs.

And that is your personal cynicism.  I, and many others, have boycotted
countless US products for their labor policies (Coors beer), their 
irresponsible environmental behavior (Exxon and Everready-remember Bhopal),
their foreign investments (Chase Manhattan - SA investment under apartheid).
We don't single out the French as specially heinous people.  We simply 
refuse to aid irresponsibility.  

>Trying to hurt individual businesses will not help your cause. If you
>feel strongly about it you should lobby the French government, or if
>in the EU, talk to your Euro MP.

We are lobbying them in the only way they understand, by weakening their bourse.

>-- 
>Frank Hendrix
>         LOBBYdata the UK Parliamentary database
>         being shown at the 1995 Conservative Party Conference

---

From: [email-masked] (Colin Sharpe)
Date: 20 Oct 1995 02:59:04 GMT

Kyle Chen ([email-masked]) wrote:
: On 11 Oct 1995 [email-masked] wrote:

: > Ok, since I allready boycott certain American products, such G.E. for 
: > making nuclear products, and I boycott Chinese goods because of the slave 
: > labor involved, I guess I can give up French Wines for awhile.
: > But I absolutely refuse to give up French Kissing. :)
: >                                             Jonathan

:   what do you mean by that? what chinese slave labor??? where did hear 
: about that? and how do you know that the story was true?

:   don't you know that in usa, the government are also asking the 
: prisoners to make products, then sell the goods to the general public? 
: and they think that it is a good way to educate those people and help 
: them later on in their lives. 
:   
:   there is nothing that you should blame French government, because they 
: just don't have enough land to test the bombs in their own land, unlike 
: China which has about 95,000,000,000 km*km land, so no one ever tried to 
: block chinese goods for that. 

:   I certainly don't think that it is a good idea to let the usa has the 
: monopoly on nuclear technology.

---

From: Mario Pain <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Oct 1995 10:26:51 GMT

[email-masked] (BearNormal) wrote:
>Saying a boycott is stupid is like saying voting is stupid.  A boycott is
>a VERY democratic method of getting a point across - it's voting with the
>almighty dollar, mark, yen, whatever.

 And of course, those who get more dollars, marks or yens get more votes.
An axcelent practice, this sort of fortune-indexed voting!!!!

>AND it has worked in the past. 

 Yes, but not only for the good causes. It has been for instance very 
efficient against the democratic govenment of Salvador Allende. On the
other hand, it has almost always failed against dictatorships friendly
to the west. One wonders why, doesn't one ?

>Because it is the only influence we, the people of the American and Global
>communities have right now (our governments are not doing much), we will
>use it until the French government changes it's mind.

 And everygody knows that the American (first) and Global (second) communities
have a God-given mandate to decide who is right and who is wrong. But of course,
since they are the ones that have the dollars...

>Yes, maybe the French people will suffer, but because they vote in a democratic
>society, they, the people, are the government.

 Indeed. That is why the American people must take responsibility for all the
dictatorships they installed in latin america and asia for the last century.
Remember your own history before starting giving advice to other people.

>
>You may have disagreements with the US.  Fine.  Follow your conscience
>(which seems to give way to convenience anyway) and boycott or don't. 

 I shall. Every time I can do it, I shall boycott the USA.

Regards

Mario Pain

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Hendrix)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:28:01 GMT

Yes, maybe the
>French people will suffer, but because they vote in a democratic society,
>they, the people, are the government.

In Europe we have what is known as parliamentary democracy. Hence the
French government consists of just a few dozen individuals. France
does not have a venue where all 60 million odd Frenchmen meet in
government.

I'm sure that, as usual, in the USA everything is done in a bigger and
better way. I am still waiting for someone to tell me in which venue
the USA holds its government meetings of 250 million people. Instead
of posting to this newsgroup I think you should pay more attention to
your role in USA government. By George, the USA needs some better
government! Maybe you should try parliamentary democracy and leave it
to a handful of individuals?

---

From: Melody Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 1995 14:59:23 GMT

[email-masked] (Frank Hendrix) wrote:

>better way. 

Dry wit aside, where on earth did you lot arrive at the notion that all 
USA folk believe we do "everything bigger and better"?  I see that quite 
often on the ngs, though I never hear it voiced by people I know in this 
country.  It's not a belief I hold...it's not a belief held by anyone I 
know.  

However, it can't hold a candle to "that sceptred isle...that etc, etc, 
etc," musings I have encountered in the work of both historic and modern 
British writers. There is always the tentative opinion that one's country 
is "best"...one is entitled to one's own delusions. :)

>I am still waiting for someone to tell me in which venue

No, thanks.  Been there, done that, have the red coat.  <G>

Melody...one small person born, by chance, on that chunk of land 
popularly known as the "USA"/

---

From: [email-masked] (Admin)
Date: 2 Nov 1995 20:32:31 -0600

An Observer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (William Sheldon Simms) wrote:
: |>In article <[email-masked]>,
: |>Murray Kastner <[email-masked]> wrote:
: |>>
: |>>I've heard wonderful things about Chinese homeopathic remedies.
: |>
: |>I've heard wonderful things about witch doctors, but I don't believe in
: |>any unscientific hogwash whether it's witch doctors or homeopathy.
: |>
: |>-Sheldon
: |>
: >

:    Just think, I just discovered that homeopathic remedies justify
:    45 years of a totalitarion dictatorship in which millions of people
:    have been sacrificed for the 'greater cause.'  Hello!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex Lam)
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 1995 07:14:57 GMT

>In the US and Canada one can always call AIR FRANCE and they will write and 
>forward your opinion 800-237-2747 (at least that's what they told me)

I also have  links to two anti nuke tests organizations on my web site.
http://www.alexlam.com/users/lampas/
One in Japan, and one in Australia. Your comments will go to those
organization immediately the moment you hit the "send" button.

Thanks.

Alex Lam

//Alex Lam's Virtual Studio.  http://www.alexlam.com/users/lampas/ Looking for original/// 
//story, articles,art works, photography,to be publish on my multi-culture-world peace &// 
//humanity oriented web site.//Interested please reply by e-mailme to: [email-masked]//
//Please Sign The Anti-French/China Nuclear Weapon Tests Petitions On My Web Site.//
//Think For Yourself.Question Authority(T. Leary)-Give Peace A Chance.(J. Lennon)//

---

From: [email-masked] (Zhongliang Ren)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 14:20:34 GMT

I personally will not bother to protest the French nuks. 

A naive question to protesting people:
Is the world getting safer if France stop testing ? 
One has to keep in mind that only the US nuclear stocks can destroy the
earth.

In article <[email-masked]>,
Meera Srinivasan  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I appreciat your fortitude and conviction. Hope you'll be able to 
>influence others. Good luck
>
>On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> I for one will forego my usual purchase of the nouveau Beaujolais!
>> 
>>

---

From: Jan Rudolph <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 19:36:21 -0700

On 4 Nov 1995, Kyle Chen wrote:

>   there is nothing that you should protest. 
>
Of course not...
 
>   Because it is not good for the usa government own the nuclear weapons 
> solely which later on, she might use it to bomb other countries. 
>
The USA has bombs and therefore the whole world has the right for any 
bombs and to destroy the environment by 'testing them' where is nothing 
to test...  Very logic...
 
>   This time no one has tried to single out China again. But Chinese 
> scientists are also doing the nuclear tests inside the Chinese land, so 
> there aren't that many reports on it. 
>
They "test" their weapons, so we have the right to do it, too.  Of course: 
We are civilized: We are testing not in our country. We are polluting and 
destroying the environment of other countries...
If they do have the right to kill their demonstrants, we do have to. WAKE 
UP!!! It does not work to justify things you are doing with things that 
are done by others.
 
>   This earth is not a peaceful planet at all. we need power balance, 
> there should never be a single country that dominate the world.   
> 
I thought the cold war might come to an end.  Nevertheless, the French 
are only trying to solve their internal and external chrisis by flexening 
their muscels and showing that they are one of the few(?) countries which 
are in possession of nuclear weapons...  Very civilized and very clever.

Jan Rudolph
(This is my very own oppinion and has nothing to do woth the oppinion of 
any person at my organization!)

PS: By the way: What has this posting to do with rec.food.restaurants?

---

From: David Kopman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 21:55:01 -0500

Hey Kyle,

For the record, nobody at rec.food.restaurants is even remotely 
interested in this post.  Please stop cross-posting this to groups where 
it doesn't belong.  Thanks.

David

---

From: Kyle Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Nov 1995 00:35:43 -0800

I am a moron.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ming Yeung)
Date: 4 Nov 1995 21:42:27 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
		       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I am a moron.

What the hell is your problem, man !? Something wrong with your account
in Taiwan ??? :))))))

Ming " *grin* " Yeung

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ming J. Yeung	(email : [email-masked])
URL : http://www.seanet.com/users/tricom
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chinese Student Association Web Page, Seattle University
URL : http://www.seattleu.edu/~wwoo/csa.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tricom Technology (Tel : (206) 328-0538)
URL : http://www.seanet.com/users/tricom/tricom.html
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

---

From: xlagraul@frege (lagraula xavier)
Date: 6 Nov 1995 16:45:17 GMT

Zhongliang Ren ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I personally will not bother to protest the French nuks. 

: A naive question to protesting people:
: Is the world getting safer if France stop testing ? 
: One has to keep in mind that only the US nuclear stocks can destroy the
: earth.

: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Meera Srinivasan  <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >I appreciat your fortitude and conviction. Hope you'll be able to 
: >influence others. Good luck
: >
: >On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 [email-masked] wrote:
: >
: >> I for one will forego my usual purchase of the nouveau Beaujolais!
: >> 
: >> 

As a French, I just wonder why did nobody protest when the U.S. government
confessed they had done more than 200 nuks during the moratory? Why is
France the only one to blame? On Internet where a good part of the surfers
are Americans, I can (hardly though) understand, but Internet is not (the
only) reality. I'm against nuclear weapons, but as long as terrorists
possess it, it would be foolish to stop frightening them by destroying our
or letting it rot.

--
Xavier Lagraula
[email-masked]

Always remember:
	If debugging is the process of removing bugs from a program,
	programming is the process of creating bugs.

 -*- Hi! I'm a .signature file virus -- Copy me into your .signature
 -*- and see what happens...

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacques Guy)
Date: 7 Nov 1995 08:31:17 +1100

>I am a moron.

Dui4la!

---

From: [email-masked] (Alvin Leung)
Date: 7 Nov 1995 16:35:16 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, xlagraul@frege (lagraula xavier) writes:
|> 
|> As a French, I just wonder why did nobody protest when the U.S. government
|> confessed they had done more than 200 nuks during the moratory? Why is
|> France the only one to blame? On Internet where a good part of the surfers
|> are Americans, I can (hardly though) understand, but Internet is not (the
|> only) reality. I'm against nuclear weapons, but as long as terrorists
|> possess it, it would be foolish to stop frightening them by destroying our
|> or letting it rot.
|> 
|> --
|> Xavier Lagraula
|> [email-masked]
|> 
|> Always remember:
|> 	If debugging is the process of removing bugs from a program,
|> 	programming is the process of creating bugs.
|> 
|>  -*- Hi! I'm a .signature file virus -- Copy me into your .signature
|>  -*- and see what happens...

   US nuke its own people (as pointed out by congressional report on nuclear
testing).  French nuke everybody but Frenchmen.
 
-- 
Alvin - a devil with shades
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e-mail: [email-masked]
www: http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/alvin/homepage/alvin.html