Subject: DRAWF PREAR TREES - BARTLETT

From: [email-masked] (Neil Miller)
Date: 9 Jun 1996 22:36:16 GMT

HAVE PLANTED MY FIRST PEAR TREES IN WESTMORELAND COUNTY,PA,USA, AND WOULD 
LIKE ANY HELP REGUARDING INSECT CONTROL AND PRUNING.  HAVE NOT HAVE MUCH 
LUCK ON THE INTERNET SEARCH OR WWW.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:44:07 GMT

>LUCK ON THE INTERNET SEARCH OR WWW.

... dont prune dwarfs except to remove branches starting to grow into the
center of the tree and dead/broken limbs... dont prune until mid summer....
tie upright branches down gradually into a horizontal position to increase
crotch angle and encourage blooming... Ingrid

---

From: [email-masked] (TaLeeBell)
Date: 17 Jun 1996 10:02:57 -0400

Keep pruning to a minimum for the first  2-3 years.  Cut off all but the
central leader (or 2-3 upright leaders as long as they are not very close
together  and do not have narrow crotch angles,which can break )  and 4-5
evenly spaced first tier scaffold branches.  If all you have is a single
upright leader and no scaffold limbs, then wait until next winter and head
the tree back to stimulate lateral branches.    Formore information, 
contact your local agricultural extension agent or local library.  There
are several good books on pruning.   Tieing down the scaffolds to
establish wide crotch angles is a good idea, but don't let the tips go
below 60 degrees from vertical.  If the branches are completely horizontal
when they begin to fruit,then the weight of the fruit will bring the
branch below horizontal,  and stimulate a lot of upright suckers.