Subject: Peach tree problems.

From: [email-masked] (Domenico Di Martino)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 21:02:06 GMT

I've been having trouble with my peach trees and every year it is the
same symptoms.  Here is the problem:
		
		1) The bark on my trees split and bleed sap.
		2) My peaches, though nice in size ,are covered with 
		   spots of sap and some discoloration.

If you can identify the problem and as how I can treat it , please let
me know. 

				thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Bishop)
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 00:15:06 GMT

>If you can identify the problem and as how I can treat it , please let

Domenico, If the bark splitting you are referring to is on the main
trunk of the tree, and appears in the winter or spring, it could be
something commonly referred to as SouthWest injury (because the trunk
usually splits on that side of the tree). It is caused by the Sun
warming the bark of the tree during the day, then rapid cooling at
night. Many growers try to staple the bark back tight and painting it
with a good tree paint or emulsion. To prevent it from happening
again, paint the trunk of the tree with white latex paint. The white
paint reflects the sun light rather than letting it be absorbed(as
heat),  keeping the trunk cooler so that the bark doesn't swell.

As far as the leaf spots are concerned, without seeing them it is hard
to say. It could be insect injury or something like Bacterial Spot or
Peach Scab(diseases). I would need to have more to go on to be sure.

Regards,
Jonathan

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

Jonathan Bishop                       Bishop's Orchards
B.W. Bishop & Sons, Inc.              Growers of Fine Fruit
Guilford, Connecticut                 since 1871
E-Mail:[email-masked]

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????