Subject: Re: Saturn peach (puzzle answered)

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Shugart)
Date: 16 Dec 1996 19:32:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Matthew Shugart) wrote:

> How likely is it that there are two different varieties
> that both have the flowering characteristics mentioned but have such
> different fruiting charactersitics, yet the same name?
> 

I was able to find the answer to my own question.  There are indeed two
varieties called 'Saturn.'  And both have very showy double-pink blossoms.

One used to be offered by Stark Bros. and was, I believe, called 'Stark
Saturn.'  It is white-fleshed and flat in shape.  The other is produced by
Dave Wilson Nursery (and probably others) and is yellow-fleshed and
ordinary round shape.

The flat one is available from Raintree Nursery (360-496-6400).  The other
is more widely avaialble in the retail trade.

From  Tue Dec 17 13:23:05 EST 1996
Article: 4140 of alt.agriculture.fruit
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!news_server.cs.unc.edu!news-server.ncren.net!interpath!news.interpath.net!news.sprintlink.net!news-fw-22.sprintlink.net!www.nntp.primenet.com!nntp.primenet.com!newspump.sol.net!howland.erols.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!vic.com!news
From: ([email-masked])
Newsgroups: alt.agriculture.fruit
Subject: Please Help!!!
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:09:08 GMT
Organization: Virtual Interactive Center
Lines: 120
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 208.128.111.227
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.1/16.230

Recently I wrote a letter from my heart regarding my foster mother Wendy Mcghee.
She 
had no knowledge of this letter unitl she started receiving lovely cards.  But
then 
came some nasty letters.  She is asking me to repost her letter here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Thank you for the wonderful cards! I have returned the gifts that I could to
the senders.
Other gifts without return addresses were given to the Salvation Army.  I am
sure however that
there is a child in your area who may go without a Christmas.  I am asking
therefore thank
you take your gift and good will and make that local child a little happier at
Christmas

Sincerely,
Wendy McGhee "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to add something.  

                                         This was not a scam! 

And for those of you who wrote those nasty letters, "Shame on you!!!"  This was
simply 
something I wanted to do to make the lady that cared for me and others so much
to know 
that she is loved for what she has done.  No one had to send money or gifts or
even a card. 
This was a request that IF you felt like doing so show some kindness.  Kind
words would have
been ENOUGH. She didn't do anything to deserve some of the letters that were
sent. 

As she wrote to me she is returning the gifts and donating the one that are
unreturnable.

And for those of you reading this for the first time, it would be great if you
could simply
sent a postcard or letter to her for her birthday the 27th of December. Tell
thanks for 
the kindness she's shown others and tell her I said I love her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The letter I previously posted:

"Thanks for taking the time to read this message! This is about a lady that gave
all she could 
to everyone, including me. Her name is Wendy.   When I was young she became my
foster mother 
after my real mother had abandon me. Never having any kids of her own she became
a foster 
parent. That I got to be in her care was probably the best thing that had ever
happened to me. 
She had other foster children and even ended up taking care of many of the
neighborhood kids.  

Wendy is a lady that just never gave up and always gave more than anyone could
imagine. I no 
longer think of my real mother as mother but rather Wendy as my only true
mother. I know that 
I'm not the only one that thinks that way either. It wasn't just kids that she
helped it 
included the elderly, the disabled and the just down and out.  What it takes to
qualify for a 
saint is something I never found out, but I know it can't be more than the
things I saw this 
lady do for anybody.  Even people that had wronged her could find themselves
looking up at her
while she helped them when they were down.

I'm 26 now and many of the things I'm telling you I never really realized until
now.  Since I 
was a kid she has helped me with everything from recovering from my mistakes to
just being 
there to say "You can do it... It'll be okay."  I've never been able to make a
good attempt 
at trying to repay her for all she's done for me and I'm not alone.  Many people
just have 
taken for granted the things she's done for them.  

I know by now you're asking yourself why I've posted this letter.  Well, to be
honest and 
straight with you it's because I would like your help. If there's one thing that
I've learned 
>from  Wendy it's that, "We are our neighbors keepers."  You know the golden rule,
"Do onto 
others as you would have them do onto you." Anyway now Wendy is an older lady
that is disabled 
and can't do as much as she used to.  With the disability sometimes expenses can
be too much.
 I now live in Arkansas and can't be of much help. With no real family I'd like
to do 
something to try to repay all she done for me and many others.

That's were you come in.  See if you can think back to someone that helped you
no matter how 
big or small.  Maybe it's someone you can't even remember or have lost touch
with.  For that 
moment picture Wendy and say, "I'd like to repay that kindness."  I wish you
would sit down 
and write a small note saying "Thanks for being the generous person that you
have been!" If 
you could include something to help out.  Maybe it's a five dollar bill, a book
of stamps, 
even a dollar.  Oh and would you also tell her the Steffin sends his love.  Her
birthday is 
this month on the 27th and I'm hoping I can make this own a very memorable one.	

	Thanks for reading and if you choose to help God pless you. Her address
is

Wendy Mcghee 
9636 Elm
Taylor, Mi 48180"