Subject: Sick crabapple tree

From: [email-masked] (Mark Evangelisto)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 23:49:20 GMT

Hello,

We moved into a new house last summer. There are a number of trees on the
lot - pines, hemlocks, chestnut, crabapple. There is a lone crabapple
tree out back (not sure which specific variety) that seemed to get sick
towards the end of summer. I started to notice some small rust/orange colored
spots on the underside of the leaves. Now the tree seems to have developed
a light greenish scaly growth on the main branches. I suspect it's some kind
of fungus that's found this poor tree. Any ideas about what it might be
(are the two symptoms I noticed last year even related?) and how I might
get rid of it? It is a serious disease and can the tree be saved? Should I
be concerned about the other trees on the property?

Thanks,
Mark

--
-- 
Mark Evangelisto                 e-mail: [email-masked]
Cadence Design Systems           v-mail: (508) 446-6269
270 Billerica Road                 
Chelmsford, Mass. 01824-4140       

		This space for rent.....

---

From: "Curt R. Rom, Associate Professor, Pomology" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Mar 1996 02:25:32 GMT

The foliage affliction sounds similar to cedar-apple rust which many 
older crabapple cultivars used to suffer.  However, your location would 
be at the northern limit of this problem -- contact the UMass Extension 
Service for diagnosis.  The bark problem doesn't sound too serious.