Subject: Apple tree pruning??

From: [email-masked] (Crubeo)
Date: 2 May 1996 07:37:14 -0400

Ok, let the debate begin...

What time of year is the best time to prune an apple tree?  And can you
recommend any good sources on pruning techniques.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Pete Akerson)
Date: 2 May 1996 14:59:33 GMT

Crubeo ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Ok, let the debate begin...
: 
: What time of year is the best time to prune an apple tree?  And can you
: recommend any good sources on pruning techniques.

Pruning works well if done in the dead of winter, but not when
the snow is under your ladder. Falling ladders can get you killed,
or at least hurt badly enough not to keep pruning.

Techniques ? You're probably trying for a 'wine glass' shape.
Trim most of the suckers first, at least all of the ones that
detract from that shape. then snip fruitwood that interferes
with other fruitwood. Then leave it alone and see if you get
too much fruit, or too little. Next year adjust accordingly.

---

From: [email-masked] (Crubeo)
Date: 3 May 1996 04:24:35 -0400

Thanks, is there any other time to prune apple trees?  Can you cut suckers
at any time?  How bout nipping off too many apples? every other one when
they're the size of your fingernail?

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Sam C.)
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 14:52:38 GMT

>[email-masked]

Apple tree pruning is safest if done after tree has reached full
dormancy, which is around November, give or take a couple of weeks,
here in the Pacific NW. One of your best sources of techniques is your
state extension agency, or any of the local land grant colleges, if
your area has one.
Technique is dependent on what you are trying to achieve. Are you
trying for an open center tree, central leader, or what?  Is your goal
to control vegetative growth, or too gain fruiting wood?  Pruning is
an artform, and kind of technical, but fun!  Here on our orchard, it
takes about three months a year, so we get a lot of practice.

Have fun

---

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 02:53:56 GMT

[email-masked] (Crubeo) wrote:
>recommend any good sources on pruning [email-masked]

.. if you want to spur wood growth, prune in late winter/early spring (at
time of dormant oil)

.. if you want to prevent growth (whack water sprouts) prune in summer..

... if you want to deleaf for apple development, before apples ripen

... best way is to find an orchard and volunteer... I dont think it can be
learned that well out of a book, believe me, I've tried... or do what I
did, get a dwarf that doesnt really need pruning....  Ingrid

---

From: [email-masked] (GBUERMAN)
Date: 4 May 1996 01:00:49 -0400

Trimming in late summer, late August, can be used to help reduce
vegatative growth.Fruit can manually thinned by removing excess fruit
after the blossum has been pollenated and the fruit has been set