Subject: Re: First year grapes Help!

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 03:06:03 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

>First year grapes Help! Do I have to train them? I want them to grow along a wooden fence. 

... all I can say to help is that I have been using the curtain system
in Wisconsin for concords and am thrilled. The standard is trained
straight up to about 6-7 feet up to pipe held by two 4x4 wood posts
and headed back. Then, two- 3 foot primary arms are grown to the side
with about 3-6 short (3 bud) secondary arms coming off each primary...
air circulation is wonderful, no mildew/no spraying. Birds have no
where to land and eat, gophers dont seem to climb the standard to get
to the fruit... sun gets to everything... do have to trim the
branching to keep off the ground.. find a book that details, or, I saw
the system in one of the gardening magazines about 3-5 years ago..
sorry, dont have the date.. renewal is selecting 3 foot primary arms
each year near to where the "header" is.... looks like this

----------------
|  |   |  |  | |
       |
       |
       |
       |
       |