Subject: blackberries

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 96 20:35:07 PDT

j, cahn writes.
i am trying to grow blackberries and wonder if anyone can 
direct me to some literature and/or pamphlet which will 
give me an outline of how and when to prune
thanks

---

From: Mike Zauzig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 22:11:46 -0400

> give me an outline of how and when to prune

First, I recommend that you call your local county cooperative
extension service.  They can provide you with all kinds of
information.

Anyway, pruning blackberries is rather simple.  The important
thing to remember is that berries will only grow in the same
place once.  So, each year, right after you've picked all that
you can, cut off the canes that grew fruit right down to the
ground.  Also cut all other canes to about five or six feet so
that they will sprout new side branches.  Then, in the following
spring, pick the five or six best canes and cut all others to
the ground.  Burn or dispose of all cuttings such that you don't
spread diseases.

I'm no expert so you'd be smart to check what I've said with
another source.  Good luck.

---

From: [email-masked] (Julie)
Date: 9 Sep 1996 19:30:16 GMT

Sorry I cant help.

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...

---

From: "Curt R. Rom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 21:50:59 -0700

Contact the following:

	Dr. Keith Patterson [email-masked]
or 	Dr. John Clark  [email-masked]

Both are known experts on the cultivation of blackberries and have 
published extensively. 

Curt R. Rom
Associate Professor, Horticulture
Department of Horticulture
University of Arkansas

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX