Subject: FS: Fruit Literature Book from Timber Press

From: [email-masked] (Ellen Donlin)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 16:47:51 GMT

New Book From Timber Press:

Pomona's Harvest: An Illusrated Chronicle of Antiquarian Fruit
Literature by H. Fred Janson

Fred Janson brings alive a previously unexplored and fascinating
subject by placing it against the background of history, showing the
connections among pomology, sociology, and the history of ideas. He
invokes the voices of noblemen, clerics, estate gardeners, lawyers,
scholars, and poets to create this illustrated in-depth review of the
European literature dealing with fruit from antiquity to the Indusrial
Revolution. Follow the transition in agricultual methodology from
seedling to grafted tree, the evolution of espaleirs, the quest for
dwarfing methods, the development and appreciation of superb fruit
cultivars, and much more. Pomona's Harvest abounds in absorbing
detail: Pliny the Elder witnesses a grafted tree bearing nuts,
berries, figs, pears, and pomegranates; English botonist William Coles
lauds the quince's medical merits for hair restoration. Included is a
comprehensive bibliography that describes more than 600 fruit-related
works and critically abstacts their contents. Beautiful engravings
appear throughout the book to delightfully augment the text, each one
telling a story about the horiculture of the period.

Born near Heidelberg, Germany, Fred Janson is a retired food scintist
who in 1967 co-founded the North American Fruit Explorers (NAFEX). He
Currently resides near Toronto, Canada, where he devotes his time to
growing and testing fruit cultivars in his orchard.

0-88192-336-2, 436pp, 9 pages of color plates, 139 line drawings,
6 x 9", hardcover , copyright 1996

$59.95
---------#---------#---------#---------#---------#---------#---------
Timber Press, Inc.                  http://www.timber-press.com
133 S.W. 2nd Ave. #450               800.327.5680/503.227.2878
Portland, OR 97204 USA                   fax 503.227.3070