Subject: Re: logan and lichee

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 18:42:06 -0400

[email-masked] (PAO, WILLIAM )
In a message dated July 29, 1995, you refer to:
>(1) logan:  It gives few sweet logans the second year planted.  But in 
            the last 2 years, it grew a lot of flowers, but they will  
            turn brown and drop off.

>(2) lichee: Every year it will grow a lot of flowers around April, and 
            the flowers will turn into tiny fruits and will drop off.
            I heard we should hold off watering for months starting    
            flowering until the fruits grow to the size of watermelon  
            seed.

    These are classic symtoms of lack of pollination.  I am not familiar
with
either, but generally blossom drop, or excessive fruit drop at small size
is
symptomatic.

    McGregor (Insect Pollination of Cultivated Crop Plants, USDA, 1976)
does
not refer to logan, but says lichee should have beehives placed in groves.

   Are your bee populations dropping, as they are in many areas.  Some
blossoms, like Kiwi needs many visits by a bee for full pollination, while
a
peach can do okay with only one visit.

   Your apples may give some useful info.  How many seeds are setting in
your
fruit.  Are you getting good pollination (8-10 seeds), or very poor (3-4
seeds)?   The logan and lichee may need a higher level than even apples.

    I have never worked with these personally.  I am generalizing from
experience with numerous other crops.  This may or may not apply, but your
post indicated that you had probably not considered this.

    Good luck.

[email-masked]                Dave Green
PO Box 1215, Hemingway,  SC   29554

---

From: [email-masked] (MARCIEROSE)
Date: 6 Aug 1995 20:23:20 -0400

Hi Sal,

If you have some time this winter, give the folks at Fairchild Tropical
Gardens a call.  They're in MIami, Fl Their tropical fruit guy is Richard
Campbell.  Address 10901 Old Cutler Rd, Miami, FL 33156-4296  for phone
try (305) 665-2844
[email-masked]