Subject: Re: Quadraspidiotus perniciosus in apples

From: [email-masked] (Jon Boy384)
Date: 12 May 1995 20:35:49 -0400

Hi Pepe, 

One of the most effective treatments for SJS is an oil spray applied just
as the buds begin to swell in the spring. Use a product such as Sunspray
6E at a rate of 2 gallons/100 dilute and really soak the trees. If you are
doing it with a hand gun, take care to direct it into all the crotches at
the top of the tree. An insecticide such as Lorsban 4E can be added to the
oil, and will aid in Rosy Aphid control, but a good full coverage oil
spray should do the trick. 

If you have missed your chance at a oil spray this season,  and you have
had a severe problem last year, there is almost nothing you can do which
will eliminate the problem. During the summer there is just too much
foliage to get adequate coverage, at least on big trees. You could try
Penncap-M(restricted use). I'm not sure if Diazinon still has an Apple
label, but that used to work pretty good. At least you might be able to
keep the fruit clean. Your best bet is to get into a good routine with
Dormant Oil Sprays

Good Luck 

Jon