Subject: Re: Tree pots

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 21:42:51 GMT

Mark Scarinzi <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I'm looking for some pots to start seedling persimmons in.
>I need a tall pot of small diameter for the taproot.
>I've heard of pots that are held in a tray of sorts.
>Any suggetions?

..... use a rolled up newpaper or the carboard tube from toweling... Ingrid

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 18:56:50 -0700

Steuwe and Sons (2290 SE Kieger Island Rd, Corvallis OR  97333) is a good 
source for pots, and they do have a few tall pot models.  Write them for 
a catalog.  As an option, you might consider cutting lengths of PVC pipe 
of an appropriate diameter.  You can drill a few holes near the bottom of 
the pipe to thread support wires for a wire mesh (to hold rooting media).
If you want to plant the persimmons in something else later, just snip 
the wires and slide the pot over the plant.

Matthew F.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mary Knox)
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 18:45:16 +1200

> > I've heard of pots that are held in a tray of sorts.

In this country (New Zealand) the things you probably mean are called
"root trainers".  They come in about 3 sizes, in rows of 4 or 6, and can
be opened out flat for storage or extracting the seedlings when
planting-out time comes.  They do an excellent job of encouraging the
young plant to grow nice deep roots.  When in use a whole batch of them
fits into a wire tray-like frame which can easily be carried around.  They
can be re-used a number of times.

But they may be called something different in the US.  Hope you locate some.

Mary Knox

---

From: Mark Scarinzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 08:49:20 -0400

I found what I need at Stuewe & Sons in Corvallis Or (800) 553-5331.