Subject: Plant Hormone (ABA)

From: [email-masked] (SHUM CHIN KEI)
Date: 17 Sep 1995 11:28:20 GMT

Dear all expert,

I am seeking for help for the following issure about plant hormone, 
ABA...  Please give me a hand if you have any idea!

Project Title:
Anti-growth and anti-transpirant activity of xylem saps of 
Zea mays (Maize) and Phaseolus vulgaris (Red Kidney Bean).

Early work has shown that the antitranspirant activity in the xylem 
sap in Zea mays can be explained by the ABA in it (Zhang and 
Davies, 1991).  There are, however, other reports which have 
shown that the antitranspirant activity in xylem can not be 
accounted fully by ABA (e.g. Trejo and Davies (1991) in Phaseolus 
vulgaris).

This Project will: 
A) collect xylem saps from the two species growing in wither well 
   watered or dried soil; 
B) Measure the ABA concentrations of xylem saps with RIA; 
C) Feed growing wheat seedlings with xylem saps or diluted xylem 
   saps added with ABA; 
D) Compare leaf elongation responses with that produced by synthetic 
   ABA solutions.

Help and information that I am looking for :
A) Can the anti-growth activity of xylem saps be accounted 
   for by the ABA in them?  

B)If yes, will the sensitivity be regulated by other factors 
  such as temperature and ionic conditions?  

C)If no, what is the nature of the as-yet unidentified inhibitor, 
  another inhibitor or merely a modification of ABA's effects?

Thanks ...  Robin Shum

=========================================================================
                 .       Shum Chin Kei, Robin      .
                 .  Department of Applied Biology  .
          \\     :      Environmental Option       :      //
   \\\  /\\\\\\@ :  Hong Kong Baptist University   : @//////\   ///
    ->>>((   (( <             Hong Kong             > ))  )))<<<<-
   ///  \///////                                     \\\\\\\/   \\\
           //   EMAIL: [email-masked]        \\
                       [email-masked]
                       [email-masked]
       Year 3          [email-masked]                1995
=========================================================================