Subject: NY Chapter of American Chestnut Foundation annual meeting Oct. 14-16

From: [email-masked] (James VanBokkelen)
Date: 20 Sep 1994 04:10:35 GMT

The NY Chapter is actively working on preparations for restoring the
American Chestnut tree to the forests of the eastern US, once ongoing
programs to develop blight-immune trees come to fruition later this
decade.  This meeting's program starts Friday, 10/14 at 1930 and
continues till Sunday 1200.  The featured speaker is Dr. Peter Marks,
Chair of the Ecology & Systematics Dept. at Cornell University.  There
will also be a nut plantation tour, and work on the distribution of
this year's seed crop.

Send registration (name, address, phone) by September 30 to:

 ACFNY
 3747 River RD.
 Youngstown, NY  14174

Registration: $23  Food Package: $35  Checks payable to: ACFNY
Questions: 716-745-7772

Location:

 Cayuga Nature Center
 1420 Taughannock Blvd.
 Rt. 89, Ithaca, NY  14850
 607-273-6260

The national ACF's annual meeting is in Altoona, PA the following
weekend, but I haven't gotten details yet.

People interested in chestnut trees are welcome to contact me - I'm in
the early stages of trying to organize an ACF chapter covering either
NH or northern New England, and I'm looking for people to help me in
managing a piece of conservation land in Groton MA to encourage the
remains of a blight-killed chestnut orchard.  There are several
techniques available to help blight-afflicted trees, but they take
time, and this site has hundreds of small trees that die back before
they reach full size.

Details on how to join the various ACF chapters will follow when I get
the complete list.
--
James B. VanBokkelen					Far Acres Farm
jbvb@{vax.ftp.com, asylum.sf.ca.us}			South Hampton, NH