Subject: Pear collecting/gathering machinery?

From: Marc Meis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 19:00:15 +0200

I need information on manufacturers of industrial machinery for
collecting/gathering pears on a large scale with as few human
(picking/gathering) intervention as possible?

Many thanks in advance for any informnation

---

From: Chad Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 06:45:28 -0700

I would suggest contacting Don Pederson (Peterson?) at the USDA-ARS in 
Kearneysville, WV.  (304) 725-3451.  He is an ag engineer who has worked 
with 'harvest aides' and mechanical harvest equipment on small and tree 
fruit.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 23:32:09 -0800

There are several manufacturerr of farm machinery.  How ever pears don't
lend them selves well to machine harvesting.  In order to be ripe enough
to finally ripen (off the tree) the pear/stem interface is so delicate
that the pear flesh tears when the tree is shaken.  We've even tried
trellissed fruit on an ebrow trellis without success for harvesting
mechanically.  Apples and cherries yes but not pears yet.  

   Smucker Mfg of Salem Oregon, FMC /New Holland, University of California
Davis Dept of Ag engineering are some sources who may have some
information.

[email-masked]