Subject: help

From: Computer Lab User <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:10:48 -0400

I have just bought a house with a big slot. Can anybody tell me how to
plant grapes and where to buy grape seeds? Also, are they easy growing
in North Carolina? Thank you.

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 00:03:33 -0400

>Can anybody tell me how to plant grapes and where to buy >grape seeds?
Also, are they easy growingin North >Carolina?

Yes, there are many varieties of grapes that will grow in North Carolina,
but do you want to grow table grapes or wine grapes? Whichever, you don't
want to start with seeds. The best approach is to start with rooted
cuttings or grafted plants. It would probably be wise to check with your
county agricultural extension people for advice. I also recommend getting
a catalog from Lon J. Rombough, 13113 Ehlen Road, Aurora, Or 97002, Tel.
(503) 678-1410.  Rombough grows many old and new varieties of wine and
table grapes, and will sell you cuttings (a cheaper way to start). To
order catalog send $1 and long SASE. There are a number of other sources
of grape vines. Check Barbara Barton's book, Gardening by Mail, 4th ed.,
1994. Good luck.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 18 Sep 1996 04:18:46 -0400

>in North Carolina? Thank you.

   Excellent grapes can be grown in many areas of North Carolina, but you
would be unwise to start them from seed.

   You will need grafted nursery stock.  I recommend you do a little
online research and reading, then ask more questions.  This is VERY basic.

    Try any of the internet search engines for "grape culture" or grape
growing.  I'll bet you'll get hundreds of references with a lot of
information.  NC Extension would also be a good place to look.  If the
Internet is intimidating, try your local county extension agent.

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554