Subject: Re: persimmon production

From: [email-masked] (Peter Benjamin Sharvy)
Date: 11 May 1996 09:55:43 -0700

[email-masked] (laurence morrell) writes:

>i am seeking information on persimmon production in florida. i am
>located on the ridge near clermont with appx 200 trees that are 1-2
>years in the ground.main variety is fuyu. i do have a few native trees
>within 100 yards of the planting. will that have an effect on
>pollinization ? should i remove teses few wild trees to protect the
>integrity of the fuyu seedlessness ? 

If they're native, they're American persimmons, whereas 'Fuyu' is an
Oriental (Kaki) variety. American and Oriental persimmons do not
cross-pollinate. 

My source for this is _Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention_ by Lee Reich, 
which has a chapter on persimmons.
-- 
"Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God, who permits the forbidden."
--Rabbi Shabbetai Zevi 1626-?

---

From: [email-masked] (laurence morrell)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 22:58:11 GMT