Subject: Babcock peaches (and other varieities)

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Shugart)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:43:30 -0800

I have a Babcock, as do many others here in coastal San Diego County.  It
does very weel in moderate climates.  If you find your tree is "growing
like a weed", and you want it smaller, do your pruning in summer rather
than winter.  Several sources seem to advise that method.  But whenever
you prune, remmeber that you need to retain enough of last season's growth
to produce fruit in the coming season.

Does anyone out there have experience with a peach variety called
'Shanghai'?  It comes well recommended in a few books, but is hard to
obtain.  Supposed to be low chill (~300 hours), like Babcock.

What about a very late-season peach called 'Last Chance'?

Thanks for any information anyone can share.

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (dick) wrote:

> 
> I live in the SF bay area, so conditions are a little different than
> yours, but I put in a bare-root Babcock peach tree 2 years ago.  It is
> doing very well.  The first summer it had abundant, delicious fruit.
> That winter I pruned it somewhat to get good shape and trunk.  Next
> summer it had good fruit, but maybe less abundant.  That summer, it
> grew like a weed.  This past winter I had to prune pretty extensively
> because of the amazing growth.  It is now growing well, but has only a
> handfull of fruit.  I think the severe pruning took away most of the
> good fruit-growing wood.  With regard to foilage growth, it is again
> off to a strong start.  Since it now has a pretty good shape, I think
> I can retain a lot of this new growth and will again get abundant
> fruit next year.
> 
> Good luck,
> Dick J.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 02:51:18 GMT

"M. Counides" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  Pruning does involve a very complex set of decisions does 
>it not.  And it is easier to say than do.  Naomi Counides

..... amen.... Ingrid

---

From: [email-masked] (BRateaver)
Date: 3 May 1996 14:01:47 -0400

Dr. Shugart, would you give me a piece of the babcock, so I can ask a
friend to graft it onto one of my peach trees?  I would make it easy for
you, so you would not have to travel for it.

B. Rateaver

---

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 02:29:12 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
>I have read that fruit on peaches grows on two year old wood.
>I planted my first babcock peach last week and a strawberry peach.
>I also planted a Gravensten apple and a Fuji
>I live in Dublin Calif

QUICK REFERENCE
Peaches/Nectarines

Average years to bearing:4 years

Average yield per tree:	2 to 2 1/2 bushels

Space needed per tree:	15 foot circle

Average mature height:	15 feet

Days from bloom to harvest: 60 to 120 depending on variety

Pollination requirements:Self-fruitful

Most common pruning system: Open center

Commonly used rootstock:Halford or Lovell

Common insect pests:Oriental fruit moth, tarnished plant bug, curculio

Common diseases:Leaf curl, valsa canker, brown rot,bacterial spot

Popular varieties & best use: Redhaven - eating, canning 
				Redskin - eating, canning
Useful Life:12 years

Number of trees for a family of four: 2 to 3 trees

Bears fruit on one year old wood

FROM THE BACKYARD ORCHARDIST, STELLA OTTO