Subject: RESPIRATION OF OLIVE FRUITS

From: Jan Czekajewski Ph.D. <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 1996 20:25:57 GMT

Large quantities of olives are produced in the Mediterraean area, 
California, South America, Australia, etc.. About 85% of the 
cultivated olives are processed for olive oil extraction and 15% 
are used as table olives. The product quality is strongly 
dependent on appropriate maturity at picking time. Respiration in 
olives has an important effect on weight loss, shriveling, and 
availability of fermentable substrates. These changes may affect 
the subsequent storage of fruits in brine. !n 1995, a report was 
published by Gracia et. al. in the Journal of Horticultural 
Science and they have studied the physiochemical changes along 
with respiration in harvested olive fruits using the Micro-oxymax 
O2/CO2 respirometer. They have shown that the respiration rate 
declined rapidly during the first day and the respiratory 
quotient also declined parallel to the respiration rate for 2 
days. They have also observed increased respiratory activity in 
more mature olives with erratic water loss and loss in firmness. 
Thus, the respirometer can be used in monitoring the harvesting 
time, processing and storage of fruits. Your ideas and comments 
are requested. If you have any interest and need more 
information, please send your address and fax number.

GHOSH
Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 May 1996 17:52:13 GMT

Very interesting.  I just signed on and am getting used to this system.