Subject: Terracing Hillside Orchard?

From: [email-masked] (Mszaller)
Date: 15 Jan 1996 11:18:20 -0500

I want to lay out a 3 acre organic orchard on our South facing hillside in
the Sierra Foothils near Yosemite (2200 ft elev.). I have some questions I
am hoping someone on the net can help me with:

The slope is 20-40% (10-20 degrees). Should I have a tractor create level
terraces  going East-West? Or is better to have the rows go North-South,
and always drive steeply down hill to service the trees?

If terracing is right, then should the trees be planted on the outside
edge of the terrace, or the inside (I want to reserve the center for a
lightweight vehicle to access the trees)? We plan to use drip irrigation.

Does anyone know of consultant that can help with the lay out of an
orchard?

We plan to grow a large variety of trees, much of which we want to use for
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). We will also sell at a fruit stand
what we don't eat.

Any help would be appreciated,
-Mark Zaller
 415-938-1430