Subject: Re: Peach tree

From: [email-masked] (Zzang)
Date: 28 May 1995 18:07:07 -0400

It sounds like your peach trees were hit by frost sometime this spring.
Better luck next year. Apply for a state disaster grant

---

From: [email-masked] (Ernest Taylor )
Date: 28 May 1995 08:00:33 GMT

I have a peach tree that look very healthy, had full blooms.  90% of
buds have dried up and following off the tree. This has happened for
the last two years even though it is well fed and watered. Any idea
why?

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 28 May 1995 10:12:38 -0400

>Subject: Peach tree
>From: [email-masked] (Ernest Taylor )
>Date: 28 May 1995 08:00:33 GMT
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

  Do you have bees?

  There is a myth about - that peaches self-pollinate.  They are self
fertile, which makes them easier to pollinate than apples, but it is not
the same.  You still need something to transfer the pollen, even if it is
within the same flower.

   So your problem could be lack of pollinators.  In many areas bees are
gone.

   You do not need a pollinizer (a different variety to provide compatible
pollen) but it might help.  Although self fertile, peaches are receptive
to cross pollination, and will be more vigorous then.  In other words
there is a probability of larger and sweeter fruit.
[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Dave's Pollination Service         Eastern Pollinator Newsletter
PO Box 1215, Hemingway, SC    29554