Subject: Re: PASSION FRUIT

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 16:06:54 -0400

>According to McGregor "Insect Pollination of Cultivated >Crop Plants,"
passion fruit is self-sterile (must be cross >pollinated).

This depends on the species in question. P. edulis, the common purple
(sometimes yellow) passion fruit sets fruit quite well by itself. I would
also recommend an excellent book by John Vanderplank titled, Passion
Flowers and Passion Fruit (MIT Press 1991), to anyone interested in
passion fruit.

Don Gholston

---

From: [email-masked] (LindsyDeal)
Date: 16 Sep 1996 22:43:37 -0400

I have several two year old passion fruit vines that are full of blooms
but no fruit has set as of yet.  The blooms fall off after about 3 to 4
days.  Last year I had one fruit from approx. 50 blooms.  Any suggestions
to get the fruit to set?

---

From: [email-masked] (Ben Sharvy)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 12:31:31 -0700

>days.  Last year I had one fruit from approx. 50 blooms.  Any suggestions

Try hand pollination with a small paintbrush.
-- 
Eco-Socialist-Libertarian-Capitalism Made Simple:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/dummies.html
Edible Landscaping:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Jose' M. Gallego)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:51:59 GMT

>days.  Last year I had one fruit from approx. 50 blooms.  Any suggestions

What kind do you have?

Jose

From  Fri Sep 27 15:09:25 EDT 1996
Article: 3521 of alt.agriculture.fruit
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!news_server.cs.unc.edu!news-server.ncren.net!newsgate.duke.edu!agate!overload.lbl.gov!news.emf.net!news.uoregon.edu!enews.sgi.com!super.zippo.com!zdc!szdc!szdc-e!news
From: (;))
Newsgroups: alt.agriculture.fruit
Subject: test - do not read
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 01:36:00 GMT
Organization: Zippo
Lines: 5
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.0.82

         :*
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 14:59:57 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(LindsyDeal) writes:

>Subject:	PASSION FRUIT
>From:	[email-masked] (LindsyDeal)
>Date:	16 Sep 1996 22:43:37 -0400
>

    According to McGregor "Insect Pollination of Cultivated Crop Plants,"
passion fruit is self-sterile (must be cross pollinated).

   By having several plants, you take care of the pollinizer problem. 
What have you done to ensure pollinators?

   You may need to get bees, or hand pollinate.

[email-masked]                                   Dave and Janice Green
Practical Pollination Home Page    
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html  
PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554