Subject: Re: How are Pommelo's grown?

From: [email-masked] (MMMavocado)
Date: 14 Dec 1996 16:28:35 GMT

Sean, I'm not sure what you mean by "pommelo" -- there are two different
fruits you could be referring to:

Pomelo (with an "o" and one "m") is an old-fashioned name for the
grapefruit, Citrus paradisi.  Pummelo (with a "u" and 2 "m"'s ) is also
known as the shaddock, Citrus grandis.  Shaddocks are believed to be
ancestors of grapefruit.

In either case, culture is similar.  Grow them like any other citrus, but
be aware that they are not as cold-hardy as some other citrus.  Grapefruit
trees will be damaged in the mid- 20's F, and pummelo will be damaged in
the high 20's F.  Fruit of either will be ruined in the high 20's.  

Citrus trees need a well-drained soil, preferably with a pH of between 6
and 7.  A lot depends on what rootstock you bud them to.  If you have
other specific cultural questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

Malcolm M. Manners, Ph.D.
Chairman, Department of 
Citrus and Environmental Horticulture
Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL

---

From: "Patty C" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Dec 1996 09:01:18 GMT

Same culture as any citrus. Just leave more room between the trees. They
get really big. Generally, water about once a week and water deeply.
Fertilize several times a year. There are places where you can get
schedules and amounts of fertilizer. Use a 6-6-6 fertilizer. 

[email-masked] wrote in article <[email-masked]>...
> I am just about to try and grow Pommelos in SE Queensland Australia. Can
anybody assist in advising the ideal growing conditions and any other
useful information or addresses on the Net about growing this delicious
fruit.
> 
> Thanks - Sean
> -------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet
>