Subject: Re: Fruiting Banana Trees

From: [email-masked] (STBEADS)
Date: 13 Sep 1996 22:23:48 -0400

It IS normal for the bananas to dry up with only a few bananas on the
stalk.  The bananas are formed in the first 3-4 months of growth,  So if
you aren't fertilizing heavily, they won't put on many fruit. The bananas
will fruit around the 27 leaf( yes, that's after 27 leaves have grown on,
count them..)

We don't cover our fruit here, in So. FL. I think it's to keep them
blemish free for commercial sales.

Fertilize with a heavy nutrient fertilizer. One grower recommened
31-31-31, straight urea.You can't over fertilize, but you can burn the
plant. Keep it in good soil, lots of mulch, fairly moist( try a drip hose)
and reap the fruit in about 14 months.
Eve

---

From: [email-masked] (MEM&GWM)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:40:55 GMT

We live in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California and have
been growing bananas in containers for about 4 years.We have 6
different drawf varieties. This summer is the first time we have
bananas growing and the trees flowering.

We have questions that we would like this newsgroup to try to answer.

1. Why do the commercial growers cover their flowers and bananas?
2. Is it normal for the flowers to dry up after putting on just a few
bananas?
3. Do banana trees do the best in full sun or partial sun or shade?

Thanx for the help in advance,

Mike