Subject: Re: Pronunciation of FEIJOA

From: [email-masked] (Peter Benjamin Sharvy)
Date: 19 Jun 1995 16:01:11 -0700

[email-masked] (Pollinator) writes:

>   We have a complete crop failure due to lack of pollination.  The bloom
>this year was the best yet, but the solitary bees I normally see were
>completely absent. We had honeybees, and a few did visit, but apparently
>were ineffective. Does feijoa need buzz pollination?

>   Soltary bees are almost completely absent in the cotton growing areas
>this year, and bumblebees are very rare (pesticide misuse???)  I got out
>of the cotton area the other day, looked at some blooming melons, and
>spotted five different types of solitary bees in one minute.

You're talking about the pineapple guava, right? It's my understanding 
that most cultivars are self-fertile, and so easily pollinated by wind. 
Is this incorrect? One reason I ask is that I planted one in my yard last 
year.
-- 
DEFINITIONS
Dumb Bird.  An entity incapable of surviving without old growth forest.
Logger.  A kind of dumb bird.