Subject: Pear trees

From: jonnie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 10:55:38 -0800

I have a pear tree that was pruned last year by a tree-pruning company. 
 They left it with a diamond shape, very tall branches going up int he 
center.  Should it be more champagne glass shaped, like I see apple 
trees pruned?  When is the best time to prune?  I live in zone 8.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:36:53 GMT

>trees pruned?  When is the best time to prune?  I live in zone 8.

.... most pears natural habit is with a "central leader" going up the
center and it doesnt work well to go against their natural habit....
however, starting at the bottom branch, the branches should come out in a
whorl around the center and once they are long enough, nipping the tip will
make the branches assume a more U shape that is a stronger crotch. If it
doesnt look like this is happening, or to make sure this is happening,
place a spacer between the branch and the trunk to gently force the branch
outward.  OR, bend the branch down and tie it to a very large concrete
block and each year pull it down a bit more. If you dont want water
suckers, prune in summer, if you want new growth in late fall... I have
used this technique to get a ginko to spread a bit more and they are very
columnar normally... Ingrid

---

From: John Lobingier <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 1996 04:02:39 GMT

The thing with pear trees is that they naturally like to send up very 
vertical branches.  Use some limb spreaders to off-set this.  You don't 
want to prune pears too much because the new growth is very susceptable to 
fireblight.  You want to prune very little, very lightly.

John

---

From: [email-masked] (shelcs)
Date: 16 May 1996 18:26:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>trees pruned?  When is the best time to prune?  I live in zone 8.
I would like to know what time of year is best to prune trees also. I 
live in central Saskatchewan.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 03:41:29 GMT

John Lobingier <[email-masked]> wrote:

>fireblight.  You want to prune very little, very lightly.  John

.. and only in summer.... Ingrid

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 20:24:48 -0800

How old are the pears?  Most pear trees won't bear until they are at least
6 years old.  Have you spread the limbs.  During the summer months is the
center open enough to allow lots of sunlight into the center of the tree
unobstructed?  if not cut the center limbs out and place 1x2 inch sticks
between opposite limbs or the central leader to create limb crotch angles
at about 60 degrees. ( 10 and 2 o"clock with straight up being 12:00)

   Also do you know the variety.  some varieties need a pollinizer.  My
guess is that you have packham or bartlet which are self fertile.

  Hope this helps.  I'm a consultant to the pear industry in the
ssssssssHood River Oregon/central Washington area.   Reply E-mail
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 23:27:36 -0800

Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 14:48:16 -0800
To: [email-masked] (Stephen Ball)
From: [email-masked] (Don Dixon)
Subject: Re: pears

Steve,

        Pears in general (including quince) are MORE tolerant to both the
limited dissolved oxygen and high levels of the water mold fungii
(Phytophora, pythium, etc) present in wet soils. Pears will grow in areas
which are too wet for any other tree fruit.  Seriously if it is too we for
pears try cranberries or asparagus.

        Can you install a drain pipe or plant the trees on mounds so that
the water can be kept off  the root?  Also the material alliette and/or
ridomil can be an effective treatment for the water molds.  I prefer
alliette.  Are you a commercial grower?  Where are these trees
planted....geographical region..... not your back yard!  Comice in wet
sites are also susepible to non-calcium related cork spot.  This condition
is best handled with applications of potassium, either as elemental
potassium of wood ash from fireplaces.

        Hope that helps.

p.s. name is dondient  not "don dient"