Subject: Diseases Of Apples---Bitter Pit / Cork?

From: [email-masked] (Welland High School Stn 17)
Date: 14 May 1996 01:13:04 GMT

In trying to find a cure for a trouble in the fruit from my Ida Red apple tree 
 I am told to use a spray containing calcium chloride. My problem is that 
there appears to be no supply of this product in local garden suppliers. Any 
advise would be appreciated.Also i am trying a slurry made out of 
eggshells-any comments?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 15:02:44 GMT

Take a look at that stuff people throw on their walks for ice/snow.. I
believe it is calcium chloride... it is used because it does not burn
grass.. also, I take it you need the calcium?... lime (or dolomite) is
calcium carbonate and will sweeten the soil  (increase the pH).. Ingrid

---

From: [email-masked] (MarcMon)
Date: 14 May 1996 11:15:20 -0400

Without commenting on the advisability of using calcium chloride, I think
that's what the non-halite ice melters are made from.  Check to see if
your hardware store or other supplier still has any left from this rotten
winter, and check the label.  Good luck!

Marc Montefusco
New World Cider