Subject: Green Gage Plum

From: [email-masked] (Mark Evangelisto)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:27:09 GMT

Hi,

I am posting this question for a friend. She says that she has a tree called
a green gage plum on her property that she planted about 3 years ago. She
swears that it is a sel polinating variety, but each year she gets flowers
but no fruit. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Mark

--
-- 
Mark Evangelisto                 e-mail: [email-masked]
Cadence Design Systems           v-mail: (508) 446-6269
270 Billerica Road                 
Chelmsford, Mass. 01824-4140       

		This space for rent.....

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Cline)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:45:32 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Gloria
Sheen) wrote:

> Mark Evangelisto ([email-masked]) wrote:
> : I am posting this question for a friend. She says that she has a tree called
> : a green gage plum on her property that she planted about 3 years ago. She
> : swears that it is a sel polinating variety, but each year she gets flowers
> : but no fruit. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
> 
> Hi,
> I have a greengage plum that is about 15 years old.  It didn't fruit the 
> first couple of years.  Now it fruits very heavily in alternate years.  
--------snip

My greengage is a fairly reliable fruit producer.  There are other plums
nearby so pollination is not a problem.  A couple comments about the fruit
- The fruit is quite sweet without a strong plum taste.  Its biggest
advantage is that a ripe fruit can remain on the tree for a couple weeks
until you pick it.  By contrast, a ripe Satsuma plum will fall almost
immediately.  When the Greengage flowers it produces an attractive show.

____________________________________________
[email-masked]
My words mean exactly what I choose them to mean.  Humpty Dumpty
____________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Gloria Sheen)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:58:23 GMT

Hi,
I have a greengage plum that is about 15 years old.  It didn't fruit the 
first couple of years.  Now it fruits very heavily in alternate years.  
They are supposed to be self pollinating, but I got less fruit, until I 
planted another plum nearby.  It must be a European plum ie.Stanley Prune 
Plum, to pollinate the gg.  When my tree does fruit, I thin it quite 
severely to get larger fruit.  The gg is not grown much commercially in 
North America, because of its unreliable fruiting.  I also find that the 
fruits ripen over a period of 3 or 4 weeks.  All of my fruit trees get 
about 1/2 cup of bone meal every year, sprinkled on the ground, inside 
the drip line and are mulched with compost.  In the "good" years we get 
well over 100 pounds of fruit. I hope this helps.
gloria
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 03:40:43 GMT

[email-masked] (Gloria Sheen) wrote:

>Plum, to pollinate the gg. 
.. we also have stanley nearby.. my dwarf gg is 5 feet and fruited
second year planted.. will see this year, if it ever warms up...
Ingrid

Ingrid Buxton, PhD
Marquette University
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Shugart)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:47:56 -0800

We can buy the Green Gage in markets around here (southern California). 
Ever since I was a kid, it has been one of my favorites.  I do not know
where it is grown commercially, but obviously is it grown.

I think the ones I know are the European Green Gage; however, there is
also a Japanese Green Gage.

---

From: Courtney Plater <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 17:48:36 -0500

> also a Japanese Green Gage.

If you want to try mail order, I've had good luck with Miller Nurseries
5060 West Lake Road, Canandiagua, NY 14424.  They list both dwarf and 
standard varieties ( DF 408 & SF 510 ).  You can call them at
1-800-836-9630.  Theirs' is the european type and does not need a 
pollinator.  Starks also has one but I don't know it's heritage offhand.
I perfer Millers to Starks, the trees are bigger and come from a climate
more like here( Far Norther Illinois ) but both companies seem to be 
reputable.

Courtney Plater

---

From: [email-masked] (Ingrid K. Buxton)
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 02:39:55 GMT

Courtney Plater <[email-masked]> wrote:
>reputable. Courtney Plater

...Miller uses incompatible rootstocks.. I ordered 2 dwarf peach trees that
at 2 years old promply rejected/died .. in addition, the grapes I got from
them were mislabeled..... the Green Gage I have fruiting aftr 2 years was
>from  New York Fruit Testing.. now? someone know the name?... Ingrid