Subject: Apple Trees in Northern California

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Smith)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1993 01:28:56 GMT

I have several apple trees in my back yard and they produce WONDERFUL
fruit. Yellow delicious and others.  The problem is that before the fruit
is ripe it starts falling off the tree and has worms or some such in the
core of nearly every apple.  This causes thems to rot before they ripen. 
I was told that I need to spray the trees when they are dormant,
thanksgiving, new years and easter.  I can do that but it seems that the
problem happens when the blossoms appear and after.

Any advise would be appreciated.

-- 
                                             [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Arthur Woods)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1993 02:30:16 GMT

You have the pest "codling moth" as the worm in your apples.  An oil
spray will do you no good.  Either you will need to use a vigorous
pesticide program or

Use codling moth pheromone traps and careful sanitation; i.e., pick up
and burn all tree prunings and destroy all infested fruit.  Get rid of
any places for the moths to overwinter as the pupa.

Personally I'd use both pesticides and traps with sanitation for a 
couple of years to get rid of the infestation and then use traps and
culling the fruit only.

If you have neighbors with untreated apples, crabapples, or even at
times pears, all your work will be for nothing.  If your neighbors
have been treating theirs, they should be very happy you are also.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Smith)
Date: 2 Nov 93 02:58:09 GMT

Jay Arthur Woods ([email-masked]) wrote:

: You have the pest "codling moth" as the worm in your apples.  An oil

Thanks you very much for your information (even though it is rather
discourageing).  I think you are probably 100% correct as last year I
remember many very small white incects (moth like but very small).  This
year seemed better but then I did a better job of keeping the fallen
apples picked up.  You hear much in the news about the MEDFLY in our area.
 Is there any relation?  How would I recoginaize such.

Thanks again for the advise.
-- 
                                             [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Arthur Woods)
Date: 3 Nov 93 01:23:51 GMT

A codling moth is a small gray moth about 2 cm head to tail.  Its larva
will be found burrowing into the apple and up to 1 cm in length.  The 
med fly is very unlikely in your area; however, the apple maggot is 
possible.  The adult of the apple maggot (as well as the mediterranean
fruit fly) looks like your ordinary fruit fly (about 3 mm with clear
wings and black stripes on the wings).  The larvae of the fruit fly stay
much smaller than the codling moth larva and always looked a little 
translucent to me.