Subject: How to tell when Limes are ripe?

From: [email-masked] (Glenn Boozer)
Date: 27 Oct 93 18:54:38 GMT

I have a seedless lime tree and my wife and I can't figure out how you can
tell when a lime is still "green" or is ripe.

When we guess right,  it is great!

G. Boozer
Apple Computer, inc
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Horne)
Date: 28 Oct 93 12:04:00 GMT

>When we guess right,  it is great!

Sorry, but another victim of mass fruit marketing.  Ripe limes are
yellow, but they sell them green because everyone would think they were
just small lemons.  You can use them when green, but waiting till they
turn yellow imparts a smoother, less tart taste. My parents had a tree
that was a huge bearer, and we had limes year-round (in So Cal), and
learned to enjoy them yellow.  But most people refused to believe they
were limes.  For a real treat, we'd give people a Rangypur (sp?) lime,
which are orange, and tell them it was a tangerine.  Boy, were they
surprised.   Leave a couple on your tree and see what happens.

Mark
Mark