Subject: Looking for the perfect strawberry

From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Leach)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 03:20:43 GMT

>From reading the catalogs, it appears that what's mostly for sale is 
a giant berry that will survive being run over by a tank.  Anyone
know of a source for a falvorful berry that will survive being moved
from hand to mouth?

-- 
Geoffrey Leach          C/C++/X11/Motif/OpenLook Implementation
[email-masked]        Mountain Ranch Software
                        3351 Alma St., Suite 113
                        Palo Alto  94306
                        415-855-9788

---

From: [email-masked] (Beverly Erlebacher)
Date: 15 Oct 93 21:02:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>know of a source for a falvorful berry that will survive being moved

I've often felt that each strawberry gets the same amount of flavour,
so the bigger they are, the less taste per mouthful! :-)

I like alpine strawberries.  This is the European wild strawberry.
You can get seeds from many seed companies and there are several
named varieties.  If you start the seed indoors in the spring, you'll
have berries from midsummer onwards the first year.  In the following
years they are everbearing from spring into late fall here.  The plants
don't make runners, they multiply at the crown.  The berries are small
and tastiest when they are almost too soft to pick (but they do survive
from hand to mouth).

Another advantage is that by growing from seed you avoid many diseases,
as well as getting a lot of plants for a small price.  I've found them
quite easy to grow, I just sprinkle the seed onto moist sterile seed
starting mix, cover to keep moist, and transplant when they are big
enough to handle.  They may germinate irregularly over a period of a
few weeks, starting 2 or 3 weeks after sowing.  Unlike many plants, the
seeds should not be kept warm, cool room temperature is about right.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada

---

From: [email-masked] (News Administrator)
Date: 16 Oct 93 20:49:34 GMT

>seeds should not be kept warm, cool room temperature is about right.

Here From Davis1:47PM  10/16/93