Subject: Re: Pele played for Accrington Stanley ?

From: "Adam Cody Coggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 93 22:04:48 -0400

On newsgroups alt.evil,rec.sport.soccer,alt.sex.bondage,soc.culture.nepal, 
rec.music.funky, etc., Colin Douthwaite <[email-masked]> writes:

>[email-masked] wrote:
>: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Frank Wilson) writes:
>: >From: [email-masked] (Frank Wilson)
>: >Subject: Re: Pele played for Accrington Stanley ?
>
>I think that Pele ( who from memory was _not_ a goalkeeper ) might well have

Obviously it was not a position he played often, but, in the book "Learning
Soccer with Pele" (1974) he wrote:

 "Whenever I am given the chance, I like to play goalkeeper and enjoy 
 taking my turn in goal when training.  I have even played goalkeeper 
 officially four times.  The first time was in a match against the 
 Commercial Futebol Clube in Santos on November 4, 1959.  I also played 
 goalie for the first few minutes of a game against Greme^io Porto-Alegrense
 in the Brazilian Cup Final in Sao Paulo on January 19, 1964.  The third 
 time was for about a quarter of an hour in Joa~o Pessoa in a friendly 
 match in 1969, and the fourth, in Baltimore, U.S.A., on June 19, 1973, 
 was against the Baltimore Bays."

(any typos are mine)

>played for Accrington Stanley Football Club at the end of Pele's
>professional career.
>
>It was common for players at the end of their League Football playing days
>to spend their last year or two at a lowly placed club, like the 4th
>Division of the English Football League or in the Lancashire Combination (
>non-league ).
>
>Accrington Stanley did have both a 4th Division team and a reserve team in
>the Lancashire Combination.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mr N.W. Bishop)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1993 14:17:45 GMT

What I do know is the Brzilian player Jarzhino (Sp ?), the one who scored a
goal in every match in the 1970 world cup finals in Mexico played a few guest
matches with non league side Cheadle about 2 years ago.

As for Pele ?

Neil.
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Bishop                     Leeds United F.C.
Computing Services Dept.        Warrington R.L.F.C.
Liverpool University            A great Combination.
Room 4.09
Chadwick Tower                  E-MAIL: [email-masked]
Liverpool.                      
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Lightning Bolt)
Date: 9 Sep 1993 12:08:04 GMT

What the H are you smoking? You seem to have missed your target by miles!
Is he some kind of FRUIT?
In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mr N.W. 

> matches with non league side Cheadle about 2 years ago.

ARS W1DGA on HF and VHF / UHF
Researching Family Names:Fathers Side of OHIO, Canada, & England:
BOLT,BALKWILL/BARKWELL/BALKWELL/BARKWILL,CROSS,GARROW/GARREAU/GARRAH,GANYON/GAGNON,ROCKEY,FISHLEIGH,BOWMAN.
Mothers
Side:CLARK,BUXTON,PRATT,PADDLEFED/PADDLEFORD,WALKER,FRENCH,GOULDING,
BRIGHAM,BROOKS,CLISBORN/CLISBEE, PRENTICE. All of New England.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Warrick)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 16:33:41 GMT

Colin Douthwaite wrote.....
> 
> Unfortunately no one from Accrington contributed to confirm or deny 
> the statement that "Pele never played for Accrington Stanley" - but 
> Pele would know :-)
> 
> My thanks to all who joined in this thread, (including those who were 
> not amused by the imaginative cross-postings), for a refreshing 
> change from the usual run of articles in the "serious" newsgroups.  
> 
> How are Accrington Stanley doing in the Northern Premier League ??

Okay, Okay

I'll confirm that Pele did not play for Accrington Stanley.

The reason....I am from Accrington and use to go and watch them train and play
most  weeks,  because  my  mates  dad use to be  there  manager  (Don  Bramley
ex-Burnley 60s' star) during the mid/late 70s'.

The nearest the  Accrington  district  has had to having a world  sports  star
playing  for a team is, Viv  Richards.  He did a season at a very small  local
cricket team in the mid 80s'.  From my house which was about 30 yards from the
Enfield  Cricket  Club  pitch  (and 1/4 of mile  from the  Accrington  Stanley
ground).I  could see Viv play in some Sunday games in the North East Lancshire
League.

RAP
(Ex-Accringtonian now living in Bristol)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard A. Preugschat
Computer Peripherals Bristol
Hewlett-Packard Company
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address:        Email:                  Phone:                  Fax:
Filton Road     [email-masked]  (44) 272 228452         (44) 272 236194
Stoke Gifford                           Telnet:
Bristol                                      312 8542
BS12 6QZ
UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------