Subject: re:pickle

From: [email-masked] (Eric Garcia)
Date: 7 May 1993 03:56:16 GMT

I have a correction of myself.

>From   "The American Heritage Dictionary 2nd College Edition"

    Vegetable Marrow n. Chiefly Brit. an edible squash having very large
 elongated greenish fruit.

    Pickle n. 1. An edible product, such as a cucumber, that has been preserved
 and flavored by brine or vinegar.

    Vegetable n. 1. A plant such as the beet or spinach cultivated for an 
 edible part, such as the root, stem, leaf, or flower.

    Fruit n. 1. a. the ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant,
 together with a wide variety of parts, containing the seeds and occuring in a
 wide variety of forms.

    Vegetable kingdom n. the catagory of living organisms that includes all
 plants.

ie. A fruit is a vegetable, a vegetable is not neccasarily a fruit and A 
Cucumber is a fruit and so is a tomato. A pickle is a Cucumber. Thusly
a Pickle is a Fruit, preserved. BUT, I was right before also because a Fruit 
IS a vegetable.

I don't mind being wrong. It's a learning experience. But as somebody implied 
in a letter to me, I did Not work a Garden I worked 20 acres of Pickle fields
for 3 months at $3.50 an hour. Belive me, I learned all I cared to learn about
cucumbers and had an special NON-interest in learning anything else about
them. That is why I responded so ignorantly. 

A layman would say if its green its a vegetable. And, if it ripens before you
eat it, its a fruit. I was thinking in those terms.

Eric Garcia(would like to think he doesn't really have an ego...?)