Subject: Peaches from China

From: marcos@pdx047 (Marcos O. Camargo)
Date: 15 Apr 93 16:06:07 GMT

I am looking for two peach varieties that were developed in the province
of Sichuan, China.  I have contacted a local university in Chong Qing, China
(Southwest Agricultural University) and they told me that these varieties
were quite resistant to peach leaf curl and brown rot.  Fungal diseases
are a major problem for peaches in Oregon.

A Chinese friend of mine said that a nursery in San Jose, CA was offering
something similar to what I described.

The name and description of the varieties are:

"White Flower Fragrant" - originated in Sichuan.  The fruit is very large,
    on the average 250g per fruit, light green or white color.  The fruit
    ripens in late June in the province of Sichuan.

"Duan Yang" - similar to White Flower Fragrant" but with smaller fruit and
    it ripens earlier.

I have grown the "Frost" variety and it seems somewhat resistant to peach
leaf curl.  Any help in locating varieties that have good fruit quality and
resistance to fungal diseases would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-- 
Marcos O. Camargo             |  e-mail:  [email-masked]
Intel Corp.  JF1-19           |  phone :  (503) 696-4273
5200 N.E. Elam Young Parkway  |  FAX   :  (503) 681-9017
Hillsboro, Oregon  97124      |