Subject: Exotic Fruit via Canada & Mexico when Cross boarded pact is signed?

From: [email-masked] (DICK / Lightning)
Date: 6 Jul 93 13:50:55 GMT

As Canada can import tropical fruit fresh, but USA can not, what will hapen
when the agreement between or boarder countries is signed? Will we finally
have access to fresh tropical fruit? Will states throw up import barriers
such as California and Florida did? I have all along believed the excuse of
pest and desease was for the most part political excuse to keep out fresh
tropical fruit from the US! This is even with knowledge as to what the US
did to Eastern Europe's pear crops severalk years ago and likely they still
are suffering from it. 
There is just no excuse! The irridation of fruit was prefected over 20
years ago. This is one of many ways to be safe from foreign fruit imports.
There are several other strategys to accomplish this. Do we have to settle
for frozen, canned and dried tropical fruits? The taste is NOT the same!
Lets hope this trade agreement puts some sanity into our fruit plates here
at home. Florida / Miami area now grows many of the good varities, but is
not readily available to the consumer. Kiwi and star fruit (Carambola) has
shown the way of the future, but will we live long enough to out live the
domestic growers fruit lobby? Dick