Subject: Vine-to-Wine Questions

From: [email-masked] (Jim Hollister)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 12:51:39 GMT

My friend Fred is planning to retire from his CFO job in a few years and
wants to start his own vineyard and winery here in Texas. Does anyone know
where Fred can find answers to questions like the following?:

1. What is the average size of a commercial vineyard?
2. What grapes produce what types of wines?
3. What are the average operating costs of a vineyard (fertilizer, labor,
etc.)? How many full time laborers are required?
4. What is the average yield in pounds per vine and how many 24 ounce
bottles of wine will this produce?
5. What is the cost of a commercial winery and what are the individual
components? What is the capacity? How many square feet of building
(including storage) are required?
6. What are the distribution channels for wine? What percentage of retail
price can a winery expect to get for it's wine?
7. What are the spoilage factors?
8. What is the best source of information for "vine-to-wine" topics?

As you can see Fred is planning ahead.

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Martz)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 20:29:36 GMT

>where Fred can find answers to questions like the following?:

Please post any answers you receive !!!