Subject: Re: BLOOD ORANGES

From: [email-masked] (Pierre Martineau)
Date: 8 Feb 94 00:49:17 GMT

In France, where I am from, we use to find "oranges sanguines" ("bloody oranges")
commonly at fruitstands and supermarkets.  Are mainly grown in Spain.
Good luck with growing them.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Bates)
Date: 8 Feb 94 01:49:00 GMT

HR>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
HR>Newsgroup: alt.agriculture.fruit
HR>Organization: The World Public Access UNIX, Brookline, MA

HR>In Central Florida, where I live, a few people grow blood oranges in
HR>their homes.  I don't think I've ever heard -- hold on,
HR>I just checked the book Citrus Growing in Florida.  "Grown chiefly
HR>for home use and gift-box shipments."  "Demand is small."  You
HR>might have a hard time finding this in the supermarket.  Next time
HR>you visit Florida, buy a blood orange tree at a nursery; take it
HR>home, keep it in a pot, bring it inside to a sunny window during the
HR>winter.

        I grow three varieties in Los Angeles.  Sanguinelli, which gets
the most red color in skin and inside but has a sharpish taste; Moro,
which is burgundy or purple inside, a bit of color on the skin; and
Toraacco, which has no color (no red) outside and a few flecks inside
but tastes delicious.
        One Sanguinelli in a gallon of Valencia juice will turn the
whole thing red.  Mostly, I leave them for the squirrels.  For the
tarocco, I trap the squirrels.  I never understood why squirrels don't
have the sense to eat only what I don't want.
        We don't have enough degree days of heat in L.A. to get good
color in blood oranges.
        Yesterday, I saw some blood oranges at a supermarket for
$1.89/lb.
        I never take them in.  They're in the ground.

        However .... I have about 15 citrus in 15 gal. pots.  They are
going to move with me next summer to the northern Rockies.  Then, I
expect, they'll all spend a whole lot of time indoors.