Subject: borers in apricot trees...what to do?
From: [email-masked] (Thomas R Rocek)
Date: 9 Jun 94 16:08:40 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.agriculture.fruit

I have several small apricot trees, the largest of which just started 
bearing fruit last year for the first time.  This spring, I noticed a
large mass of sap oozing out of the largest tree; after several weeks
the amount decreased, but the area of bark remains darkened and damp.

Meanwhile, the tree is happily producing a crop.  I have two questions:

1) Am I correct that this sounds like a borer infestation?

2) What should I do?  Can a tree simply "fight off" the infestation, 
   should I cut out the infested part (this would involve about half
   of the tree), is there some other treatment, etc.  Also, how fast
   does the damage spread...if I need to do something, can I wait till
   fall, or do I have to do something as quickly as possible?

Thanks a lot for any information!  Tom Rocek

-- 
 Tom Rocek                        Bitnet:   fjh00383@udelvm                   
 Department of Anthropology       Internet: [email-masked]      
 University of Delaware           Fax:      (302) 831-4002                    
 Newark, DE  19716                Voice:    (302) 831-3695