Subject: Re: Need [Osage] Orange Trees
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 94 12:43:05 PDT
Newsgroups: rec.gardens,alt.agriculture.fruit

> From: [email-masked] (Perry R. Cheatham)
> Newsgroups: triangle.gardens,rec.gardens,alt.agriculture.fruit
> Subject: Need Orange Trees
> Date: 28 Jul 1994 23:38:24 -0400
> Looking for a source for a particular Orange Tree.
> Botanical name: Maclura Pomifria or Osage Orange
> This is taken from a hand written note and may be misspelled. 
> 65 trees, approx 4 yr./2-3ft tall are needed. Our local power company
> killed the originals with a herbacide and are paying for these
> replacements.
> Please respond via email or call Susan Cheatham, Raleigh NC (919)834-7095.
 
Susan - 

You are close on the name, but this is not a true Orange, the fruit just
kinda looks like an orange.  Here is what Forestfarm (990 Tetherow Rd., 
Williams OR 97544-9599, (503) 846-6963 - PST hours!) has to say in their
catalog ($3):

"Maclura pomifera - Osage Orange - A medium sized spiny tree tolerant of
extremes in environment & producing large, curious, yellow-orange fruits
(non-edible) and yellow fall color.  Sun/Medium moisture, deciduous, Zone 5,
Eastern North America."

Tell Ray & Peg Prag hi from me if you talk with them - nice folks and a very
reputable operation.  I believe they have a wholesale operation as well.

           Sean A. O'Hara, 710 Jean St., Oakland, Ca. 94610-1459
               [email-masked] or [email-masked]