Subject: Re: What is the Season for MangoSteens

From: [email-masked] (Bill Dueease)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:46:14 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(DGholston) wrote:

> The Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) is actually native to the tropical
> jungles of Malaysia and Sumatra, but is cultivated in many parts of
> southeast Asia (and other tropical areas suitable to the plant). In Puerto
> Rico, where the fruit is most likely to come from, trees in full sun fruit
> in July and August and shaded trees in November and December. In much of
> southeast Asia the fruit ripens from May to August or September depending
> on the elevation. With luck you might find the fruit in some of the
> upscale markets in New York.
> 
> Don Gholston
> California Rare Fruit Growers
> http://www. crfg.org/

Ok I'll bite. What is this fruit and what does it taste like? I live in
South Florida and grow several different fruit trees, and am interested to
learn more.

Thank you,

-- 
Bill Dueease 
[email-masked]

---

From: patricia thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 19:42:55 -0700

Bill Dueease wrote:
> > http://www crfg.org/

I to am interested in these seeds if available.  Thanks,

Pat

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 13 Sep 1996 12:16:03 -0400

Don Gholston

---

From: [email-masked] (MATCOHEN)
Date: 13 Sep 1996 05:16:21 GMT

I am trying to get my hands on a Thai fruit called a Mangosteen (also 
called the Queen of th Fruits).  Does anyone know what the season is?  
I am particularly interested in a New York source.

Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Vimala Siddalingaiah)
Date: 16 Sep 1996 12:22:47 -0400

Is it the mango that we see in the stores? this is the first time that I
have heard of this Mangosteen!

MATCOHEN ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am trying to get my hands on a Thai fruit called a Mangosteen (also 
: called the Queen of th Fruits).  Does anyone know what the season is?  
: I am particularly interested in a New York source.

: Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Horowitz)
Date: 16 Sep 1996 21:24:31 -0400

Only Puerto Rico & Philippines mangoes have been approved for entry into
the USA. Getting permission takes a lot of money, energy, and about two
years.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 06:03:25 GMT

[email-masked] (Bill Dueease) writes:

>(Don Gholston) wrote:

>> in July and August and shaded trees in November and December. In much of

In the experience of some amateurs here (on the wet tropical coast at
16 to 17 S latitude, 2000 mm rainfall) the tree needs a *lot* of
protection to get it established initially.  Once it gets to 12 or 15 feet
tall it can handle full sun, but needs to be exposed gradually to start
with.  As far as I know, it needs *real* tropical climate (high humidity
and high, relatively uniform temperature).

>South Florida and grow several different fruit trees, and am interested to

To my mind it is a bit over-rated.  People claim it to be the greatest
fruit on earth.  It's certainly nice, but you need a lot to get a 
decent feed, and I wouldn't be distressed if I never saw another one.
(But I *would* be upset if I thought my trees wouldn't produce any
Bowen mangoes this year. :-)

The mangosteen is purplish when ripe and the ones I've tried were about
5 to 8 cm in diameter [sorry for my rather mixed units here -- Oz
"went metric" after I left school :) ].  There is a fleshy outer layer
around the fruit which is not usually eaten.  The edible bit is the
soft flesh immediately around the seeds -- or some of the "segments"
may be sterile so you just get a lump of the yummy stuff.  (In fact
you're really better off with the "quarts" that don't contain a bloody
great hard seed!)

Cheers,  Ian S.

-- 

Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 16 Sep 1996 21:30:47 -0400

>Is it the mango that we see in the stores? this is the >first time that I

No, mangos and mangosteens are entirely different fruits. Mangosteens are
practically never seen in U.S. markets, although this may change a bit as
people become more aware of fruits of the tropics and growers in the
tropics target consumers in other areas.

Don Gholston.

---

From: [email-masked] (Vimala Siddalingaiah)
Date: 18 Sep 1996 07:00:15 -0400

Purpalishe? I no a pupalish fruit with two kinds one is about round
another is about 2-3" long.  Long ones are tastier.  If we are talking
about the same thing magees.  The tree is very tall and narrow if I
remember correctly.  The juice of the fruit will make a very purpalish
stain on the clothes and there is no way to get rid of it.  It is an ok
fruit compare to Jack Fruit.

Ian Staples ([email-masked]) wrote:

: The mangosteen is purplish when ripe and the ones I've tried were about
: 5 to 8 cm in diameter [sorry for my rather mixed units here -- Oz
: "went metric" after I left school :) ].  There is a fleshy outer layer
: around the fruit which is not usually eaten.  The edible bit is the
: soft flesh immediately around the seeds -- or some of the "segments"
: may be sterile so you just get a lump of the yummy stuff.  (In fact
: you're really better off with the "quarts" that don't contain a bloody
: great hard seed!)

: Cheers,  Ian S.

: -- 

: Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
: c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
: Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 00:07:36 -0400

>Only Puerto Rico & Philippines mangoes have been >approved for entry into
the USA. Getting permission takes >a lot of money, energy, and about two
years.

We are talking about mangosteens. Do you mean mangos or mangosteens? If
mangos, do you mean fruit or plants? We get tons of mango fruit from
Mexico.

Don Gholston

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:51:44 GMT

>tropics target consumers in other areas.

Our News link has been a oneway street the past couple of weeks as
far as I can see, so you probably did not see my response to this
thread some days ago.  For what it's worth, here it is again (and
my apology to anyone who *did* see it before -- just think of it
as your favourite TV series in that case ;-).

******** previous attempt appended *********

Cheers,  Ian S.

--

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 13:05:55 -0400

Thanks for some comments from someone who can actually grow a mangosteen.
I have heard various comments about the fruit. Some say it is the greatest
and others say it is O.K. I haven't eaten enough of it to fully make up my
mind. I guess I will just have to make a trip to the East Indes to to
settle the matter. Your posting appeared twice: one dated 15 Sept and
another dated 17 Sept. 

Don Gholston