Subject: Wanted: Horticultural database for individual trees

From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 00:16:02 GMT

A colleague has asked me to post this request for him.  If you have
a suggestion that he might consider, please respond by e-mail to
be sure I receive it.  If you post your response as well, please
note that followups are set to sci.agriculture.fruit.

The problem:
An orchard of tropical fruit trees [longans in fact] originally
established from seed, hence highly variable trees.

The genetic variation is such that records need to be kept on 
individual trees for both production stats and applied management.

The horticultural databases that we're aware of treat blocks of
trees as the units of recording (rather like ordinary farm records
for individual paddocks) so these are not suitable for the present
purpose.  [In some ways herd recording systems based on individual
animals would be more appropriate for this job. :-) ]

Solutions?
At this stage, my colleague would prefer a developed application 
which had this sort of thing in mind, rather than simple suggestions 
as to what sort of database program he could use to develop his own.

Solutions could range from compiled stand-alone applications to
template-style applications which could be run under MS-ACCESS
(he has MS Office95 Pro installed).  I would guess it would be
better to have something with a bit of flexibility in things
like naming fields in a record etc.; but that needn't preclude
a well-designed pre-determined structure built for this sort of
job, if it's good enough.  (I expect that, over time, he will
want to modify things and build his own system under something
like ms-access, but that could be a few years down the track.)

Thank you for taking an interest in this matter.

Cheers,  Ian S.

-- 

Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

---

From: "David McKechnie" <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 1996 05:04:33 GMT

Ian 

In reference to your enquiry, if you vist your local golf club and enquire
about there record system you would most likely find that they need a data
base along similar lines. As yet I am not aware of one .
David McKechnie
University of Sydney
[email-masked]

---

From: Ken Livermore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:38:11 +0000

Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

I think I know what your talking about because I worked with 
populations of seedlings in a breeding program.  Iused three different 
programs I used Microsoft Excel the most, but also used Claris 
filemaker pro, also Foxbase pro which is the best but requires a bit 
of training and is a little complex, other word I often was getting 
lost in it.  Excel was a spreadsheet which you could work your way 
around in quite easy after working it a short while and it has a 
database in it. I often used Excel for my raw data and transported it 
to filemaker for making different layouts for different reports.  I 
hope this was of some help.  Good Luck.
Ken.Livermore   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:17:03 GMT

In Article<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> write:
> Xref: actcom sci.agriculture.fruit:147 sci.agriculture:13004 comp.databases:32839 comp.databases.ms-access:106022
> Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.fruit,sci.agriculture,aus.computers.ibm-pc,comp.databases,comp.databases.ms-access
> Path: actcom!news.new-york.net!news.ingress.net!imci3!newsfeed.internetmci.com!www.nntp.primenet.com!nntp.primenet.com!newspump.sol.net!spool.mu.edu!munnari.OZ.AU!bunyip.cc.uq.oz.au!planet.mh.dpi.qld.gov.au!staplei
> From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
> Subject: Wanted: Horticultural database for individual trees
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Followup-To: sci.agriculture.fruit
> Summary: Needed to maintain records on individual trees in orchard
> Keywords: horticulture,database,software,ms_access
> Organization: Qld Department of Primary Industries
> X-Newsreader: NN version 6.5.0 #2 (NOV)
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 00:16:02 GMT
> Lines: 42
> 
call Dansoft technologies in Israel 972-8-9492031 fax:972-8-9492595

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:48:26 -0500

It sounds like a simple application. I could write one and send it to him.
Send me what, specifics,  and how he wants to track them.

Sidhu