Subject: Mining worm on orange tree

From: [email-masked] (Fenrir)
Date: 16 Oct 1996 10:50:49 GMT

I'm looking for the cure for the mining worm on the oranges
trees. Can anyone help me?

			thanx, Fenrir
			[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Diane Chamberlain)
Date: 18 Oct 1996 08:04:44 GMT

Dear Fenrir,

The Citrus Leafminer is a relatively new problem for us here in Florida.  
So far, there are no adequate controls.  Not much is effective because 
the leafminer is inside the leaf and is protected by the leaf.

The current advice is to take no action for this pest.  My trees have 
been thriving in spite of it.  The early spring flush of growth is 
usually unaffected so if you have good growth at that time you're in luck.
  It is mostly a severe problem on young trees since they have so few 
leaves.  I have had good luck by excluding access to baby trees by 
covering them with very fine mesh so the adult leafminer (very small and 
flying) cannot lay eggs on the tree.

Above all, keep your trees in the best shape possible so that they can 
fend off this pest through health.  DO NOT get into a cycle of sprays etc.
, since you will kill off any natural controls for this insect.  I use 
organic methods and have only moderate damage.  Some varieties seem much 
more affected than others.

---

From: Bill Lady <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 14:29:55 -0400

I have been having some success by spraying my citrus trees with a
mixture of 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and 2 tablespoons of diswashing
detergent in one gal. of water. It is especially important to spray the
young leaves (from underneath), since the leaf miners do not bother the
mature leaves. About once a week seems to give pretty good control.
Ultra Fine Oil is normally recommended, but it is expensive, and cooking
oil seems to do just as well.

It is a good idea to occasionally add a tablespoon of one of the foliar
nutrients with trace elements, especially if you are located in Florida,
since the soils are low in several necessary micro nutrients. The plant
will absorb whatever it needs through the underside of the leaves, and
reject what it doesn't need. This is especially important if you see any
signs of chlorosis in the leaves.

Bill Lady