Subject: KONGO BLACK Potatos

From: Omega Thoroughbreds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 19:46:50 +1100

Does anyone know anything about  the "Kongo Black" potatos?

I bought some, curiosity more than anything else, and I am considering 
to plant them and see what will come out.
The three pieces I bought are rather small, the size of a golf ball and 
real black.  I have no idea if the potatos I bought are small, medium or 
even large size representatives of the "Kongo Black". 

regards

george

-- 
*********************************************************
**********        Omega   Thoroughbreds        **********
**   Small in size (58ac),  BIG in service and care   ***
*********************************************************
* Major's Line Road, Tooborac, Victoria 3522, Australia *
******      http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~ommega    ******
*********      Phone/Fax: (+61) 054 335132     **********
*********************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Beverly Erlebacher)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:08:27 GMT

>even large size representatives of the "Kongo Black". 

I grew some a few years ago.  They are purple all the way through, although
the colour fades a bit when you cook them.  Mine were up to several times
larger than a golf ball, not huge, but very prolific.  They were flattened
oval in shape. I got mine as "Congo" and was told they were a Swedish variety.
No idea if we both have the same clone.

The plants are very attractive, the vines and flowers are quite purple and 
the leaves are a dark purplish-green.  The potatoes are good flavoured,
just the thing to surprise/amuse your dinner guests.

Btw, potatoes are tubers, not fruits. ;-)

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada