Subject: Re: unusual fruit for midwest USA?

From: [email-masked] (J. Meade)
Date: 13 Aug 96 13:12:19 GMT

Check with your local extension office, library or a good nursery and you will
be able to get or see a zone map.  You're probably in 4 or 5.  Then
you can check for the zone tolerance of various fruits,etc.

This is not definitive because a lot depends on micro-climate, but it
will help get you in the ball-park.
--

Jim - Farmer - Iowa City, IA, 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (William A. Grimes)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 02:35:25 GMT

[email-masked] (David R. Lindsey) wrote:

>What varieties of unusual fruit can be safely grown in the midwest?
>Specifically, about 130 miles south of Chicago?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>-Dave Lindsey
>
>-- 
>*****************************************************************
>Free The Paramount Star Trek Web Pages from MSN!
>Boycott Paramount & Microsoft!
>[email-masked]*************************************

Might I recommend the pawpaw?  Perhaps it's not all that unusual in
the Midwest but it is gaining quite a following out here in
California.  Might I also suggest that you check out the California
Rare Fruit Growers WWW home page (http://www.crfg.org)?

P.S. Also like your signature.
William A. Grimes
San Francisco, CA
[email-masked]

---

From: "Libby J. Goldstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Aug 1996 02:24:16 GMT

There's actually a guy in upstate Ill. who grows over 300 different 
kinds of bananas in containers, I think. He cuts them down in the fall 
and stores them in his basement on their sides. He actually gets fruit. 
When he brings them out in early summer, he sprays them with gibberilic 
acid to speed their growth and fruiting.

Libby

---

From: [email-masked] (trex)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 03:15:09 GMT

>acid to speed their growth and fruiting.
Are theydwarf plants?  I live in SE USA and I cant get my banana
plants to grow!!  I'd kill for a foolproof method....HELP!

---

From: [email-masked] (alien spydr)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 23:11:17 GMT

[email-masked] (trex) wrote:

->On 15 Aug 1996 02:24:16 GMT, "Libby J. Goldstein" <[email-masked]>
->wrote:

->>There's actually a guy in upstate Ill. who grows over 300 different 
->>kinds of bananas in containers, I think. He cuts them down in the fall 
->>and stores them in his basement on their sides. He actually gets fruit. 
->>When he brings them out in early summer, he sprays them with gibberilic 
->>acid to speed their growth and fruiting.
->>
->Are theydwarf plants?  I live in SE USA and I cant get my banana
->plants to grow!!  I'd kill for a foolproof method....HELP!

There is (or was) an expiermental farm, in California, that was growing 
 eyery kind of banana they could find.  Some had yellow flesh and
 the taste of vanila ice-cream.

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 27 Aug 1996 12:06:56 -0400

>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

>Check with your local extension office, library or a good >nursery and
you will be able to get or see a zone map.  >You're probably in 4 or 5. 
Then you can check for the zone >tolerance of various fruits,etc.

>This is not definitive because a lot depends on
>micro-climate, but it will help get you in the ball-park.

I suggest you get hold of the book, Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention,
by Lee Reich (Addison-Wesley, 1991). The book discusses some 20 fruits, a
number of which could be grown where you are. If you can't find the book
locally, you can order it from California Rare Fruit Growers, 9872 Aldgate
Avea., Garden Grove, CA 92641 for the special price of $6.50.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers