Subject: Re: Dragon Fruit

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 1 Oct 1996 14:02:29 -0400

Dragon Fruit appears to be another name for Strawberry Pear, Hylocerus
undatus. They are not native to Asia. The seed should be sown in pots or
trays of sandy loam and just covered with soil, watered and covered with a
pane of glass or clear plastic.  They will germinate best in a temperature
of 60 deg - 70 deg F.  The seedlings should be kept lightly shaded from
strong sunlight and carefully watered until large enough to prick out and
plant about an inch apart in trays of porous soil.  Later they can be
transferred singly to small pots.  The plants should probably be kept in a
greenhouse during cool weather until you have a better idea of how they
will react to your climate.  Getting fruit from the plants could be more
tricky. and may require hand pollination or even cross pollination.   

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 1 Oct 1996 18:55:55 -0400

Don Gholston