Subject: Tropicals

From: ElJefe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:47:50 -0500

Does anyone know what a "mamey" is? The word is originally spanish.
Just curious!

El Jefe

---

From: Jim Nunnallee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:18:09 +0000

> Does anyone know what a "mamey" is? The word is originally spanish.
If you're looking for a translation of the word "mamey", sorry, no habla
Espanol.  However, mamey sapote (Calocarpum sapota) is a tropical fruit
that is very popular with the Cuban-Americans in south Florida. It is a
large fruit with orange-red pulp and reportedly tastes like sweet
potato.

===============================
James B. Nunnallee (Jim)
300 N.E. Third St.
Ft. Meade, FL 33841
PROMISE KEEPER
Voice:   941-285-8478
Fax:      941-285-9433

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 10 Apr 1997 16:28:20 GMT

>Does anyone know what a "mamey" is? The word is >originally spanish. Just
curious!

"Mamey" is the common name for Mamea americana, a fruit that is native to
the West Indies and northern South America. Ther ripe flesh is
surprisingly fragrant and, in the best varieties, pleasantly subacid,
resembling the apricot or red raspberry in flavor. A little too tropical,
thought, even for southern Florida.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 12 Apr 1997 03:57:58 GMT

>>Does anyone know what a "mamey" is? The word is >>originally spanish.
Justcurious!

>"Mamey" is the common name for Mamea americana, a >fruit that is native
to the West Indies and northern South >America. Ther ripe flesh is
surprisingly fragrant and, in >the best varieties, pleasantly subacid,
resembling the >apricot or red raspberry in flavor. A little too tropical,
>thought, even for southern Florida.

A better reply would be to say that there are actually two unrelated
tropical fruits that are called "mamey". In addition to Mamea americana,
Calocarpum sapota is often referred to as mamey, particularly in Florida
and Cuba. Other common names for C. sapota are mamey sapote, mamey
colorado and sapote. M. americana is also called mamey apple or mamey de
Santo Domingo. The fruit of C. sapota is described as having salmon-pink
to deep red, soft flesh that is sweet and pumpkin-like in flavor. The
fruit is extremely popular among Cubans.

Don Gholston