Subject: Has anyone ever heard of a fruit called "marang"

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Howey)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 20:59:15 GMT

I recently returned from a trip to the Philippines and while I was
there, I got to sample a fruit that the Filipinos call "marang"
//stress on the first syllable//.  I don't know whether it has an
English name or not.  The fruit is about the size of a large
grapefruit or cantalope.  It has a brownish rind that splits pretty
easily when ripe.  Inside, the flesh is divided into sections and
attached to a central "core".  Each section is about the size of grape
and contains a largish seed.  You just pop the section into your
mouth, squeeze out the seed and dispose of it and enjoy.  I liked it
better than jackfruit or just about any other kind of fruit that I
tried while I was there.  If anyone has heard of it, do you know if it
is available in the U.S., specifically in the central coast region of
California?

Andrew Howey
[email-masked]

---

From: Omega Thoroughbreds <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:06:55 +1100

> is available in the U.S., specifically in the central coast region of

MARANG is the only name (it is also used in English).
It is very closely related to Jackfruit and Chempedak.
The scientific name is ARTOCARPUS ODORATISSIMA (Blanco).
The fruit is 15-17 cm in diameter.
It is very sensitive to cold (temperatures below 6 degrees Celsius)

I hope that you will find it in USA.

regards

george

-- 
*********************************************************
**********        Omega   Thoroughbreds        **********
**   Small in size (58ac),  BIG in service and care   ***
*********************************************************
* Major's Line Road, Tooborac, Victoria 3522, Australia *
******      http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~ommega    ******
*********      Phone/Fax: (+61) 054 335132     **********
*********************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 20 Sep 1996 00:17:04 -0400

The ripe fruit of the Marang (Artocarpus odoratissimus) is described as
"fleshy, aromatic, sweet and juicy, similar to the jackfrjuit but much
better quality. Usually eaten as a dessert fruit. Unripe fruits are eaten
as a boiled vegetable. Seeds are roasted and eaten" I doubt that you would
be able to find it in the U.S., but you might try the ethnic markets that
cater to Phillippine natives or Indonesians. Look at our Web Page:
http://www. crfg.org/ and select the 20 year index to see references to
the Marang. Photocopies of these articles can be ordered if you wish.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers