Subject: Asian fruit names

From: Cyrille Waguet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 12:47:05 +0200

Could anyone tell me some names of fruits which are native from
Asia? And more if you know more about them...
Thanks
-- 
C. Waguet	
E-mail : [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ben Sharvy)
Date: 4 Oct 1996 10:05:32 -0700

>Asia? And more if you know more about them...

Uh, dude, just about every fruit you can name is native to Asia. Apple, 
apricot, peach, all citrus, kiwifruit....

Fruits native to Asia not commonly grown in the U.S. or Europe include 
the jujube and Asian pear.
-- 
Eco-Socialist-Libertarian-Capitalism Made Simple:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/dummies.html
Edible Landscaping Database:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 4 Oct 1996 21:16:44 -0400

>Could anyone tell me some names of fruits which are >native fromAsia?

You may be surprised to learn that almost all the familiar fruits are from
some part of Asia:

Apple - Caucasus
Apricot - Turkestan
Banana - Indo-Malaysia
Cherry - Asia Minor and Persia
Wine Grapes - Caucasus
Orange and other Citrus - Southeast Asia
Peach - China
Pear - Caucasus

Even many minor fruits are also from Asia, including Litchi, Loquat,
Mango, Persimmon, Kiwi Fruit and more.

Some fruits form the New World are Avocado, Guava, Papaya, Passion Fruit,
and Pineapple.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (Ben Sharvy)
Date: 5 Oct 1996 11:23:15 -0700

>Some fruits form the New World are Avocado, Guava, Papaya, Passion Fruit,

Many popular names for fruits refer to a genus, at least moreso than to a 
species, and have species represented in more than one continent. For 
example, there is an American persimmon as well as an Oriental ("kaki") 
one. The common strawberry is a hybrid of a native American and Chilean 
species, bred in France of all places. There are also European 
species (alpine and musk). Blackberry species are 
omnipresent. There is an American grape species, as well as a European 
one. There seems to be a species of plum native to just about every 
temperate clime. There is a species of filbert native to Europe (the common 
kind), Asia Minor, eastern US and western US. There is a Persian Walnut, 
and a walnut or two native to North America (the black walnut). I wonder 
if this is evidence for continenetal drift.
-- 
Eco-Socialist-Libertarian-Capitalism Made Simple:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/dummies.html
Edible Landscaping Database:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 5 Oct 1996 19:34:04 -0400

>Many popular names for fruits refer to a genus, at least >more so than to
a species, and have species represented >in more than one continent. For
example, there is an >American persimmon as well as an Oriental
("kaki")...

The writer is right. Technically it is incorrect to refer to the Oriental
persimmon or Kaki as just "persimmon" since that is an Indian word
referring to the native or American species (Diospyros virginiana). If
anyone would like a CRFG Fruit Fact on the culture of the Oriental
Persimmon, let me know and I will send him or her a copy via e-mail.

Don Gholston

---

From: Cyrille Waguet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 11:34:21 +0200

Ben Sharvy and DGholston wrote:
>> one. 
>Technically it is incorrect to refer to the Oriental
>persimmon or Kaki as just "persimmon"

I understand that for each fruit there are different species which grow
in different places. So one has to refer to the particular species,
while talking about a fruit.
Where could I find more names of fruits or species which are not
commonly grown and known in Europe but are in Asia, africa or Australia.
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge about fruit.
-- 
Cyrille Waguet
E-mail : [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ben Sharvy)
Date: 8 Oct 1996 13:36:21 -0700

>Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge about fruit.

If you have a Web browser, you could try the site in my sig, for one. I 
think if you get into Africa, you will find an enormous amount of obscure 
fruit (also South America). Sunset and Ortho put out guides to fruit 
which are pretty comprehensive; they focus on the popular ones, but also 
give info on more obscure plants such as the jujube, etc.
-- 
Eco-Socialist-Libertarian-Capitalism Made Simple:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/dummies.html
Edible Landscaping Database:
   http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 9 Oct 1996 00:19:05 -0400

>Where could I find more names of fruits or species which >are not
commonly grown and known in Europe but are in >Asia, africa or Australia.
Thanks a lot for sharing your >knowledge about fruit.

The two best books on unusual fruits, in my opinion:

Ortho Books. All About Citrus and Subtropical Fruits (1985).

Morton, Julia F. Fruits of Warm Climates (1987).

Also see our Web Site: http://www.crfg.org/

Don Gholston