Subject: durian in hawaii

From: [email-masked] (Kirt Nieft)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 19:02:59 -0700

Any pointers to finding some info on durian cultivation in Hawaii would be
very appreciated!

Cheers,
Kirt

Kirt Nieft / Melisa Secola
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 24 Sep 1996 00:07:06 -0400

>Any pointers to finding some info on durian cultivation in >Hawaii would
bevery appreciated!

The durian is ultra-tropical and would be somewhat marginal even in
Hawaii. In the New World the tree has fruited with some difficulty in
Dominica, Jamaica, Trinidad and Honduras. The durian is propagated by seed
or grafting. In general seedling plants bloom in about 7 years and grafted
trees in 4 years or earlier. When set out, the trees should be 30 to 40
ft. apart each way. The young plants need regular irrigation depending on
the rains and benefit from occasional feeding with a balanced 6-6-6
fertilizer. Julia Morton's book, Fruits of Warm Climates (1987), contains
additional information on the durian, but no mention of growing in Hawaii.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 11:34:22 GMT

[email-masked] (DGholston) writes:

>The durian is ultra-tropical and [ much good detail deleted ]

Don, you forgot to mention the *smell*.  :-)

When I was in Singapore some years ago, there was a little notice
on the back of the hotel room door near the fire exit map etc.
It said:  "Durians and prostitutes not allowed in rooms."

Cheers,  Ian S.

-- 

Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 26 Sep 1996 13:56:28 -0400

>You forgot to mention the *smell*.  :-)

Ah, yes, the smell! The durian smell has been described as something like
a concoction of ice cream, onions, spices and bananas, all mixed to
gether. My favorite description, though is "like eating vanilla cream in a
sewer.". Seriously, though most peopel quickly get past the odor (many
don't find it particularly objectionable) and soon learn to enjoy durian.
Once you are into them they are almost addictive. The motto should be,
"Try it, you'll like it!"

Don Gholston