Subject: Welcome to the new sci.agriculture.fruit

From: [email-masked] (Joel Clark)
Date: 20 Aug 1996 15:32:44 GMT

Here is the Charter and Rationale for this new newsgroup:

CHARTER: sci.agriculture.fruit
 
The proposed unmoderated newsgroup sci.agriculture.fruit will be
open to discussions on all topics related to growing fruit, berries
and nuts commercially or in home garderns, such as:
    - agriculture characteristics of fruit, berry, and nut varieties
    - agriculture production techniques for fruit, berries and nuts,
      including cultivation, pollination, pruning, fertilizing,
      spraying etc.
    - announcements of educational events or "fairs" relating to
      fruit, berry, and nut growing.
    - rules and regulations related to agriculture practices.
    - requests for advice related to fruit, berry, and nut growing.
    - requests for sources of fruit, berry, and nut varieties, or
      growing supplies and tools.
 
  This newsgroup will not be an appropriate forum for advertising,
  or announcements of product availability by persons or organizations
  whose purpose to to make a profit from the sale of those products.
 
END CHARTER.

RATIONALE: sci.agriculture.fruit
 
There currently exists a newsgroup on this subject,
 "alt.agriculture.fruit".  But since it is in the "alt" branch it is
frequently subjected to voluminous inappropriate postings (HOT SEX,
MAKE MONEY FAST, PHONE CARDS!) Postings related to fruit growing are
generally informative, articulate and high value content (very little
to no flaming). But as much as 50% of postings are totally
off-topic. It is hoped that by moving the group to the "sci" branch
the number of off-topic postings would be greatly reduced.  The
proponent of this move <[email-masked]> promises to make regular
announcements in alt.agriculture.fruit for at least 6 months
suggesting on-topic posts be moved to the new group
sci.agriculture.fruit if it is created. It is hoped that a FAQ will be
developed.

joel clark