Subject: Identify apple problem

From: [email-masked] (Richard Cline)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:24:24 -0800

I have a problem with some apples.  They have a disease or insect which
attacks the apple.  From the outside the apple seems to have some
freckles.  Inside the apple the flesh has numerous small discolored or
corky spots.  I cannot find any insect.  

The problem occurs on Mutsu apples.  The Mutsu is grafted onto a
Pettingill and the Pettingill apples on the same tree do not show this
problem.  Other nearby apples trees of different varieties are also free
of the problem.

I would appreciate any help in identifying the problem and suggestions for
trteatment.

Thanks

Dick

____________________________________________
[email-masked]
"My words mean exactly what I choose them to mean."  Humpty Dumpty
____________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Graeme Hirst)
Date: 23 Aug 96 17:24:27 GMT

>I would appreciate any help in identifying the problem and suggestions for

This problem sounds like a sucking insect that did the damage while the
fruit were small, and then went on its way.  The reason that one
variety would be affected while others are okay, which I have seen in
the past, is related to the timing of development: at the time the
insect struck, the little green Mutsu apples tasted better than the
other ones.

== Nadia Talent / Botany / University of Toronto
== [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Bishop)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 23:48:21 GMT

>Dick

Dick,

Mutsu are susceptible to a disease called Pseudomonis (I'm not sure I
spelled that right).

It causes a dark speckling/freckling of the fruit like you describe.
It can be controlled with Agristrep(streptomyacin). I'm not sure of
the timing of the sprays, but as I recall it was shortly after petal
fall that you need to start.(best to check with your local fruit
specialist, or University people). 

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

Jonathan Bishop                       Bishop's Orchards
B.W. Bishop & Sons, Inc.              Growers of Fine Fruit
Guilford, Connecticut                 since 1871
E-Mail:[email-masked]

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

---

From: [email-masked] (TaLeeBell)
Date: 25 Aug 1996 23:46:30 -0400

Sounds like corkspot, a physilogical disorder associated with calcium
deficiency.

---

From: [email-masked] (CropDoc)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 02:14:37 GMT

>Jonathan
Sounds a bit like bitter pit...calcium deficiency.
Just a suggestion
Dave