Subject: Re: An organic Iron Supplement for Soil?

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 15 Sep 1996 13:23:50 -0400

>What is a good way to add Iron to Soil?

There are a number of liquid iron preprations available in garden centers
and such, most of which contain other valuable minor nutrients--copper,
manganese, etc. These preparations are typically diluted and sprayed
directly on plants or used as a drench in the soil around them. One of the
best iron preparation for adding to the soil, in my opinion, is Ironite.
This is a granular product that is lightly scratched into the soil around
the plant in question. It slowly releases iron into the soil and is
nonburning even when over-applied. Also, remember that alkaline soils tend
to tie up iron and make it unavailable to the plant. Treating the soil
with agricultural sulfur (to make the soil more acid) will often help
correct iron deficiency. 

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael H. Woodill)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 05:35:54 GMT

Organics, like blood meal, hoof and horn and cottonseed meal, will usually move
the Ph of the soil making iron more available.  The problem is that they are
expensive.  

[email-masked] (Nartker) wrote:

:What is a good way to add Iron to Soil?
:
:
:Nartker @ AOL.com
:72262,1502 @ Compuserve.com
:
:
:

-- 
M.H. Woodill       [email-masked]
Kestrel Systems
Santa Barbara CA