Subject: Passion Fruit

From: [email-masked] (LindsyDeal)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 00:03:35 -0400

I have several two year old passion fruit vines that are full of blooms
but no fruit has set as of yet.  The blooms fall off after about 3 to 4
days.  Last year I had one fruit from approx. 50 blooms.  Any suggestions
to get the fruit to set?

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:48:28 GMT

[email-masked] (Timothy A. Skimina) writes:

>[email-masked] (LindsyDeal) wrote:

>> but no fruit has set as of yet.  ...

>What Passiflora sp. do you have?  You might try to cross pollinate (by
>hand) two different clones or seedlings.  Most Passiflora sp. are self
>incompatible.  ...

Even ones which are apparently *not* self-incompatible often benefit
>from  hand pollination in the absence of appropriate pollen vectors.
It's quite easy to do on freshly-opened flowers: rub your finger on
the anther where the pollen is shedding and transfer it gently to the
stigma.  If you've got two or more vines, then certainly take the
trouble to transfer pollen from the flowers of one to another.

Cheers,  Ian S.

-- 

Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy A. Skimina)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 11:29:12 -0500

What Passiflora sp. do you have?  You might try to cross pollinate (by
hand) two different clones or seedlings.  Most Passiflora sp. are self
incompatible.  Do you have the plants outdoors where bees or other
pollinators can get to the flowers?  Let me know if this helps.

Tim...

-- 
Timothy A. Skimina
Northwestern University
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (LindsyDeal)
Date: 18 Sep 1996 19:12:33 -0400

I have been hand pollinating between plants but all the vines are from the
same fruit or are clones - is this a problem?