Subject: Temp Mapping

From: [email-masked] (COLIN STEVENSON)
Date: 26 Sep 1996 06:19:39 GMT

Background 

We have an 88 acre kiwi fruit orchard in New Zealand and are new to the
industry. We face a frost problem 1: 5 year 1/3 loss, 1:20 year 80% loss
with no intervention. Our current intervention strategy is to use a
helicopter and we have a wireless analog alarm set at 2 c some 1/2 mile
>from  the house. 

Temperature Logger Recommendation Can some one recommend suitable remote
temperature loggers so that we can systematically plot the iso therms for
the orchard. These would be be accurate in the -5c to +20 c range with an
accuracy of .2 c reasonable storage capability. We would think of ho urly
reading but people with more experiece may have a view on this. Software
should be PC DOS or Windows. 

Advice would also be usefull on the smoothing lag compromise with using a
weather proof case. Total crop loss is linear and occurs after 1 hour at
-1.5c

We think we may need about 5 units plus software and would like to know
approx prices, ordering details. 

Ross Stevenson