Subject: Sour cherry trees

From: [email-masked] (Warren Coffin)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:59:30 -0400

Looking for some help on when sour cherry trees are supposed to drop 
their leaves.  A neighbor has two standard sour cherry trees in his front 
yard which produce bountiful crops each year including this year.  
However, by the first week in August, all the leaves have dropped.  We 
have had a surplus of rainfall this year, so insufficient water should 
not be the cause.  Our houses are 100+ feet apart.  In my backyard I have 
a dwarf sour cherry (about 5 y.o.) which produced a small crop, and all 
its leaves were gone about one week before my neighbors.  Looking at the 
trees now, one is given the impression that they are going into winter 
dormancy.  Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks-whpc

---

From: [email-masked] (Graeme Hirst)
Date: 23 Aug 96 17:21:16 GMT

>dormancy.  Can anyone offer some help?

The sour cherries should not be dropping their leaves.  The cause would
probably be a fungal infection.

   Nadia Talent / Botany / University of Toronto
   [email-masked]