Subject: plant shocks insect

From: [email-masked] (adler)
Date: 8 Sep 1996 16:58:41 GMT

Hi there,

can somebody give me informations or literatur tips about plants or 
plant products which shocks the insects (repelling). I am sure that 
there are some substanzes which can not be tasted by humans.

Thank's

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 8 Sep 1996 18:10:52 -0400

>Can somebody give me information or literature tips >about plants or
plant products which shocks the insects >(repelling). I am sure that there
are some substances >which can not be tasted by humans.

>Thanks.

There are a great number of plants and plant products that repel insects,
but one of the most interesting that has had recent publicity is the Neem
tree (Azadirachta indica), native to India and Burma. Pesticides derived
>from  the tree are safe for people, animals and beneficial insects but
repel over 200 insect species, including mosquitoes and white flies. In
addition the wood is termite resistant, the seeds have antiseptic,
antiviral and antifungal properties and bark extracts prevent tooth decay
and show promise as a male birth control agent! California Rare Fruit
Gardeners's magazine, Fruit Gardener has an article on Neem on p. 6 of the
Feb. 1993 issue (see our Web Site for ordering a photocopy) based on an
article in the magazine, Science (v. 255, p. 275 Jan. 17, 1992) which in
turn was based on a longer report, The Neem Tree Report", published by the
National Science Foundation.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: Seema Sidhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 04:47:30 -0500

Don:

These is a small town of Livingston, CA on highway 99 south of Sacramento
where there are about a couple of dozen Neem trees which are I would guess
atleast 8 years old.

However, I have heard some disturbing news you might be able to clarify. I
have heard that the chemical of the tree has been patented by an American
firm. To use it (I think I mean sell it), we have to get a license from
them. 

 Sidhu
--------
Don wrote ....
[stuff deleted]