Subject: Wanted:Advice on Remote Temperature Loggers

From: [email-masked] (COLIN STEVENSON)
Date: 22 Sep 1996 08:03:55 GMT

Background We have an 88 acre kiwi fruit orchard in New Zealand and are
new to the industry. We face a frost problem 1: 5 year 1/3 loss, 1:20 year
80% loss with no intervention. Our current intervention strategy is to use
a helicopter and we have a wireless analog alarm set at 2 c some 1/2 mile
>from  the house.

Temperature Logger Recommendation
 Can some one recommend suitable remote temperature loggers so that we can
systematically assemble data to plot the iso therms for the orchard. These
would be be accurate in the -5c to +20 c range with an accuracy of .2 c
reasonable storage capability. We would think of hourly reading but people
with more experiece may have a view on this. Software should be PC DOS or
Windows. 

Advice would also be usefull on the smoothing lag compromise with using a
weather proof case. Total crop loss is linear and occurs after 1 hour at
-1.5c

We think we may need about 5 units plus software and would like to know
approx prices, ordering details. 

Ross Stevenson

---

From: Francis Greenslade <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Sep 1996 21:19:57 GMT

Hi 

There are various companies in New Zealand specialising in Telemetry and 
Scada. 

Qtech do work for councils and local bodies monitoring ground water.

NIWA at Stuarts Gully,Christchurch do remote monitoring systems for river 
levels.

Jenlogix might have what you want.

Dove Electronics sell various Advantech data acquistion products which are 
Taiwanese and quite cheap. 

You can pay a lot for a complete system off the shelf or buy the 
components and get a skilled electronics technician to put something 
together for nuch cheaper.

Hope this helps

Francis Greenslade
Christchurch 
New Zealand

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 04:53:21 -0500

Also, look into companies selling weather station equipment. The remote
loggers are called data loggers and can be programmed to handle various
sensors in differing resolutions. They also come with phone line options
including direct modem type. 
Sidhu
-----

> There are various companies in New Zealand specialising in Telemetry and 
[stuff deleted]
> together for nuch cheaper.
[stuff deleted]