Subject: rollinia mucosa/biriba

From: [email-masked] (Daniel K. Duprey)
Date: 20 Sep 1996 20:33:20 -0400

I planted a rollinia a couple years ago, and this year it has produced a
nice crop of large fruit.  It was my first chance to taste the fruit,
though, and I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't very sweet at all,
even if I waited till the fruit was completely yellow.  The fruit I picked
partially yellow were even more bland, though less snot-like in texture.
I don't really object to the texture, though.

Since the tree has grown and fruited more robustly than my sugar apples
(sweetsop), I don't necessarily want to give up on it entirely.

Is there a lot of seedling variation in this type of rollinia?  Are there
selected cultivars that are grafted?
I'm in south Florida, in the U.S.  and I haven't run across any selected
varieties around here.

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 21 Sep 1996 17:08:30 -0400

Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

>I planted a rollinia a couple years ago, and this year it >has produced a
nice crop of large fruit.  It was my first >chance to taste the fruit,
though, and I was a bit >disappointed that it wasn't very sweet at all,
even if I >waited till the fruit was completely yellow.  The fruit I
>picked partially yellow were even more bland, though less >snot-like in
texture.

The Biriba is Rollinia deliciosa, not R. mucosa. It sounds like you have
the latter, which is described as "yellow with a white, mucilaginous,
sweet pulp." R. deliciosa on the other hand is described as "yellow fruits
with a juicy, melting flesh of very pleasing flavor, reminiscent of lemon
meringue pie." This description sounds more like the Rollinias I ate in
Australia. Two Florida sources of Rollinia plants that I am aware of are:
Hopkins Citrus and Tropical Fruit Nursery, 5200 SW 160th Ave., Fort
Lauderdale FL 33331, Tel. (305) 434-5558 and Ed Kraujalis,1311 SE 14
Terrace, Cape Coral FL 33990. Tel. (941) 458-1879.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/