Subject: Re: Climate zones

From: [email-masked] (Carpophage)
Date: 10 Apr 1997 06:37:09 GMT

I assume that you are referring to plant hardiness zones, which is what
most climate zone maps I've seen show.  These zones refer only to the
lowest temperature recorded over a period of years within each zone.  A
plant that cannot survive temperatures below 10 degrees Fahrenheit (-12
degrees Celsius) should not be planted in Zone 7 or below (farther north
or inland).  Zone 8 (covering central Texas, northern Louisiana, southern
Mississippi, etc.) would be OK.  Minimum temperature is the only
characteristic these zones represent, so within each zone are in fact many
extremely different climates.

A better treatment of gardening climate in the U. S. is found in the
Western Garden Book by Sunset Books, or even better in Sunset's National
Garden Book, newly released, which now has gardening climate descriptions
for the entire U. S.  Aside from the climate descriptions these books are
classic sources of information on just about any plant you might encounter
in an American plant nursery.  The Western Garden Book, at least, is also
available on CD-ROM.  Their toll-free (in the States) number is
1-800-227-7346 (Sunset Books).  Although it may sound like it, I am not an
employee, just a fan.