Subject: Georgia -Scuppernogs

From: Laura Key <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:19:17 -0700

I am trying to find a source to obtain Scuppernogs.  I would
like to plant these here in my North Texas farm and see if they would
grow as well here as they do in Georgia.  These huge bronze ultrasweet
grapes can get to weigh over 10 pounds per bunch and one grape
can be the size of a plum.  I have not been able to find them since
I left Atlanta.  In any case, since North Texas (near the Red River)
has nearly the same climate and we have nearly the same type of
soil...I would like to plant these here as an experiment.
  
Would appreciate your help please if you know of a source.
 
regards,
--Laura Key

---

From: [email-masked] (DGholston)
Date: 29 Aug 1996 00:11:10 -0400

>I am trying to find a source to obtain Scuppernogs.  I >would like to
plant these here in my North Texas farm and >see if they would grow as
well here as they do in Georgia.

Ison's Nursery and Vineyards, Rt. 1, Box 191, Brooks, GA 30205, (404)
599-6970, is an excellent source of scuppernongs and other muscadine
grapes (they list some 40 different cultivars). Muscadines shoud do just
fine where you now live.

Don Gholston
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://www.crfg.org/

---

From: yccpbmx@a0216124
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 96 10:25:38 PDT

> grapes (they list some 40 different cultivars). Muscadines shoud do just

I too have used Ison's. They were recommended by a local commercial grower 
here in Birmingham, Alabama. The vines I received were in excellent condition. 
They also print a grower's guide that you may find useful.