Subject: Re: Old Oranges??
From: [email-masked] (Paul Harvey)
Date: 1 Mar 1994 21:34:14 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Here is some info from Cornucopia, Stephen Facciola, 
Kampong Publications, 
Vista, CA, 1990, 
ISBN:0-9628087-0-9:

Navel Oranges:

Atwood: deep orange red, earlier than Wash., bud sport of Wash. from
Lemon Cove, CA by Frank Atwood. 1945

Cluster Navel: medium-sized, similar to Valencia, variable, Jan., dwarf
tree, bud sport of Wash. from UC Riverside

Earli Beck: very early, Valencia type.

Fisher: very early, high sugar/acid ratio, most common cultivar in Kern
County, CA

Frost Washington: nucellar budline of Wash., widely planted in CA, AZ,
Morocco. from UC Riverside by H.B. Frost.

Gillete: large, very early (10 days prior to Wash.), bud sport of Wash.,
from Hemet, CA by A.F. Gillette. 1940

Lane Late: from Australia, late. Holds on tree as late as June (N. Hemis.)

Leng: very early, limb sport of Wash. at Irymple, N. S. Wales, Australia.

Newhall: earlier than Wash., limb sport from Duarte, CA

Robertson: virtually indistinguishable from Wash. except for
medium-large size, slightly lower quality, and earlier maturity.
Precocious. Bud sport of Wash., from Redlands, CA by Roy Robertson, 1925

Skaggs Bonanza: early, prococious, smaller than Wash., bud sport of
Wash. from Strathmore, CA by Everett Skaggs, 1964.

Summernavel: large, smooth rind easily separates from flesh, late. bud
sport of Wash. discovered about 1934 in Riverside, CA by John Albert
Workman.

Thomson: very early, holds on tree poorly, limb sport of Wash., from
Duarte, CA, 1891

Washington: fruit holds well but processes poorly, orig. perhaps as a
mutant in Bahia, Brazil before 1820. The most popular orange in the
world for eating out-of-hand.