Subject: Re: specialty catalogs for shade gardening ?

From: [email-masked] (LIZABETH F. HENDERSON)
Date: 10 Apr 94 18:34:22 -0500

[email-masked] (Karen Fletcher) writes:
> Can anyone recommend catalogs specializing in plants for shade gardening?  I 
> have the Shady Oaks Nursery catalog (hosta lovers, get this one!) and 
> wondered if there were any other good ones out there.    
> ================================================== 

Karen - I haven't seen anyone recommend Andre Viette on this newsgroup yet. 
His nursery is one of my favorites.  I don't have experience with their mail
order service as the nursery is about an hour and a half drive from me (and a
visit is worth every minute of the drive - they have extensive display gardens
and are very helpful with growing info), but if you are looking for perennials,
write for their catalog.  There is an extensive listing of shade loving
perennials.  No pictures and plants are listed by their botanical name, so you
have to know what you're looking for or have a good illustrated book to refer
to, but at least you can be sure of what you're getting.  Ya want Hostas?  how
'bout over 100 hostas species and varieties.  The biggest problem i have with
them is trying to make up my mind.  My entire backyard is medium to deep shade
and I've found very few annuals that like those conditions, so I'm becoming a
perennial gardener.  Anyway the address is:

Andre Viette Farm & Nursery 
Star Route 608
Rt 1 Box 16
Fisherville, VA 22939

(Alittle bit north of I-64, half way between Charlottesville & Staunton for any
"new Virginians" like myself on the group)

Lizabeth Henderson  - Lynchburg, Virginia
[email-masked]

.