Subject: here's the tall trees list.

From: [email-masked] (tall trees man)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 14:10:50

Coast Redwoods over 340 feet tall(all heights rounded to nearest foot)
by Michael Taylor and Ron Hildebrant

RNP-Redwood National Park
HRSP-Humboldt Redwoods State Park
MSR-Montgomery State Reserve
JSSP- Jedediah Smith State Park

Name		Location	Height	Dbh	Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
National	RNP		366'	13.8'	Now the worlds tallest known
Geographic					tree. Measured at 364.3 in 1963	
Tree						A.K.A. "3rd Tallest Tree"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry		RNP		364'	16.2'	When first discovered, it was	
Cole						367.4' tall, but has since lost
Tree						over 3' due to heavy siltation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Federation	HRSP		364'	15.0'	Measured at 361' in 1967 by
Giant						a UC Berkeley research team
						and has since grown a little.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Giant		HRSP		363'	16.9'	This tree was probably once
Tree						over 400 feet tall.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alice		HRSP		362'	11.0'	Newly discovered by me and Ron
Rhodes						Hildebrant. Has a very thin, 
Tree						whip-like top and is growing fast!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy		HRSP		361'	10.7'	Incredibly tall for its thinness. Named
Stoltmann					after Randy Stoltmann, a big tree hunter,
Tree						who was recently killed in an avalanche.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chevron	HRSP		361'	10.8'		Located near Stoltmann and Rhodes
Tree						trees. Uppermost branches form chevron
						design, hence its name.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Illusion	HRSP		360'	13.7'	Originally we thought this tree was 370+
Tree						but then after much time and effort, we 
						revised height downward.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rockefeller	HRSP		360'	13.3'	Was 359.3' in 1957 and was at that
Tree						time considered the worlds tallest tree
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paradox	HRSP		360' 	12.4		Growing in the magnificent Lower Bull
Tree						Creek Flats.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tall		RNP		358'	14.0' 	Measured at 367.8' in 1963 but has lost 
Tree						almost 9 feet due to die-back and siltation.
						Height verified by 3 different groups with 						one group actually climbing the tree.Despite 						what the the National Park and literature 
						says, this tree is no longer the world's tallest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Montgomery 	MSR		357'	17.2'	Growing in the remote and little known
Giant						Montgomery State Reserve. This place is
						must see. There are other tall trees in this						area which will be added to this list soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harriet E.	HRSP		355'	13.3'	Named after the late Harriet E. Weaver who
Weaver						passed away in 1993. She was a writer,
Tree						park ranger and teacher about the redwoods
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
South		HRSP		355'	12.7'	Tens of thousands drive by this tree each 
Fork Tree					year unaware of its great height.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Founders	HRSP		354'	12.7	Was 364' in 1930's and considered world's
Tree						tallest tree until lightning sheared its top 						and reduced its height down to 346. Has
						since grown back considerably.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bushy		HRSP		353'(?)	16.7'	Located near the Chevron Tree. Extremely 
Toe						difficult tree to measure but we are sure it is
Tree						over 350'. Has a large toe-like structure at its base.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emerald	RNP		351'	15.0'		Growing in a remote and hard to find area of
Springs						redwood creek, but well worth the effort to
Tree						to see. Was probably once over 360' tall.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creaking	HRSP		349'	14.7'	Creaks in a breeze. Was a bear for me to
Bear						measure hence its name.
Tree
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura		HRSP		347'	13.0	Was probably once taller. Located in the
Mahan						Founders Grove.
Tree
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bull		HRSP		346'	18.3	Enormous tree near Bull Creek. Shows
Creek						evidence of great age. Its trunk contains
Giant						almost 30,000 cubic feet of wood!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hill-Davis	RNP		346'	15.4'	Was once 352.3' but has died back.
Tree						Also known as the 6th Tallest Tree but now 
						only ranks as 23rd tallest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stout		JSSP		341'	16.8'	Some literature claim this to be the largest
Tree						coastal redwood or that its dbh is 21', but
						our careful work refutes both claims. It only 
						ranks 9th on our big trees list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is only a partial list. For a more complete list please e-mail your mailing address to me and I'll send you the full list.    Michael