Subject: RFD: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Majka)
Date: 24 Jul 1994 23:09:21 -0400

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION
  
              Group Name:  sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
                  Status:  unmoderated          
            Distribution:  world wide 
                 Summary:  Discussions related to the study of lepidoptera
			   (butterflies and moths)
           Proposed by:  Christopher Majka <[email-masked]>
			 Julie Kozaczka Stahlhut <[email-masked]>

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) on the creation of an   
unmoderated newsgroup, sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera.            

PROPOSED CHARTER OF SCI.BIO.LEPIDOPTERA

Preamble
-------- 

Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is an unmoderated newsgroup to provide a forum 
for the discussion of all aspects of lepidoptera (butterflies and moths) and
topics pertaining to them both on a recreational and professional level.

It is *not* intended as a forum for commercial transactions with respect
to lepidoptera.

Sphere of Interest
------------------

Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is dedicated to the observation, study, history, 
art, photography, conservation, rearing, and responsible collecting of 
butterflies and moths. It also welcomes discussions and inquires which pertain 
to the ecology, behaviour, systematics, taxonomy, evolution and other spheres of the biology of lepidoptera. Examples of the above might include:

* Observation:  If you enjoy watching butterflies and moths, this group 
is a place where you can share your observations, and find out about 
butterfly-watching sites and museum exhibits.  

* Study:  Whether you're a junior high school science student making a 
poster presentation for your science fair, an entomology graduate 
student specializing in Lepidoptera, or a farmer or gardener concerned 
about caterpillars eating your crops, sci.bio.lepidoptera can be a resource 
for learning.

* History:  The history of the study of lepidoptera includes many interesting
personalities, debates, books, theories, etc. If you are interested in this
sphere of the history of science this forum can be a place where you
can share some of your knowledge and make inquires on topics which interest 
you.

* Art:  Many cultures have appreciated the beauty of butterflies 
and moths.  If you have an interest in butterfly images in art, music, 
literature, or any other human endeavour, this is a place where you can 
discuss your interests.

* Photography: The photography of butterflies and moths is an area which
is growing ever more popular. If you have ideas or inquiries about cameras,
lenses, films and other photographic techniques as they pertain to 
lepidoptera sci.bio.lepidoptera can be a forum to discuss these.

* Conservation:  Many species of butterflies and moths have become 
threatened by habitat destruction.  Conservation can include 
everything from legislative efforts to the simple expedient of growing 
caterpillar food plants in your garden. This newsgroup is not a 
political vehicle, but discussions of conservation policy are welcome.   

* Rearing:  Butterfly-gardening and caterpillar-rearing are hobbies 
which are becoming more popular every year. Books on the subject 
appear regularly in bookstores and garden shops. The help of 
someone experienced in rearing can make the difference between 
winding up with a jarful of dead caterpillars and releasing beautiful 
butterflies and moths into the wild. Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is a place 
to learn rearing techniques from other hobbyists.

* Responsible collecting:  When made for educational or research 
purposes, insect collections have an important place. Collecting sites 
and techniques can be discussed on this newsgroup.  We encourage 
participating collectors to obey wildlife regulations, to be aware of which 
species in their areas are threatened or endangered, and to avoid 
collecting on private property or in restricted areas without prior 
permission. Efforts to encourage trespassing or to subvert 
conservation laws are emphatically NOT welcome on this newsgroup.   
All participants are expected to respect the environment and the law.

Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is not intended as a forum to for the buying and 
selling of insect specimens nor as a venue for commercial collectors to 
advertise their wares. Collectors who wish to do so should communicate
through private EMail.

* The Biology of Lepidoptera: while clearly not intended as a substitute for
professional entomological journals, sci.bio.lepidoptera does encourage 
scientific discussions which deal with aspects of the ecology, behaviour, 
systematics, taxonomy, genetics, evolution and other areas of lepidopteran 
biology. We hope that sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera can be a place where 
amateur and professional lepidopterists can rub electronic shoulders to their 
mutual benefit.

* In order to facilitate access to this newsgroup to as broad an Internet 
constituency as possible, arrangements are underway to provide a gated mailing 
list for the group so that interested parties who do not have Usenet access
can also participate. It is our hope that such a facility might also have
archiving and indexing capabilites. Final details of this arrangement should
be in place by the time that the CFV is issued.

* If participants are so inclined sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera may in the 
future develop FAQ's which address topics in different spheres of the study of 
lepidoptera.Examples might include:

* Design of butterfly gardens and plants which attract lepidoptera.
* Techniques of collecting preparing, preserving and photographing lepidoptera.
* Suppliers of equipment related to the study of butterflies and moths.
* Lists of books and journals related to lepidoptera.
* Electronic resources (WWW servers, FTP archives, Listservers, etc.) related 
  to the study of lepidoptera.
* Environmental and other regulations pertaining to the collecting of
  lepidoptera.
* Information on the rearing of lepidoptera.

RATIONALE
---------

At present, there are no other newsgroups where discussion pertaining to this topic can properly occur. The pre-existing entomology Listervers, 
<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> & <[email-masked]>
are general in their entomological interest and do not focus specifically on 
lepidoptera. This Usenet group would be a natural outgrowth of the recently 
established Lepidopetera Listserver <[email-masked]>.

Over the past few months there has been a considerable degree of interest 
expressed by professional and amateur lepiopterists in creating a forum for the
discussion of all manner of topics which pertain top the study of lepidoptera
(butterflies and moths). The growing view seems to be that a Usenet Group would 
be the preferred approach in terms of continuing this effort, and so bearing 
that in mind, we the proponents, are calling a formal Request For Discussion 
(RFD) with respect to the creation of sci.bio.lepidoptera.

CROSS POSTINGS
--------------    
        
This RFD is being posted to bionet.biology.tropical, bionet.general, 
news.groups, news.announce.newgroups, rec.backcountry, rec.birds,
rec.gardens, rec.photo, sci.agriculture,  sci.bio, sci.bio.ecology,
sci.bio.ethology.

Discussion will take place in the group "news.groups".
A Call For Votes will be posted after approximately 21 days, after which an independent third party will conduct the vote.

DISCUSSION  
----------           

Any objections to this RFD will be considered and, if determined to
be appropriate, incorporated. The discussion will last for 21 days.
If no major changes are required to the proposed charter, then      
a Call for Votes (CFV) will then be issued.     

This RFD is being posted in concordance with the guidelines set   
in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup". Please refer to this
document if you have question about the newsgroup creation process.