Subject: Re: Growing Herbs Indoors

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 23:38:43 EST

[email-masked] (Melissa C. Hicks) writes:

>   I want to have fresh herbs on hand for cooking.  Can I grow herbs indoors
>  year round?  What do I need to do?  I really like oregano, basil, and thyme.

Yes, it is possible to grow indoors year round, but it takes work and 
it requires the right conditions.  Herbs need *lots* of light.  If you 
don't have four hours of direct sunlight, forget it.  The more the 
better; if necessary, position your herbs next to your brightest window
and supplement with artficial light.  Next point, make sure drainage 
is excellent, and soil is reasonably fertile.  The larger the container 
the better because the extra room for the roots will give you stronger 
plants and better yields.  And don't overharvest; indoor plants cannot 
yield anything like the amounts you might be accustomed to getting from 
outdoor grown plants. 

I hope I haven't discouraged you!  Having fresh herbs ready at hand 
is wonderful.  

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]