Subject: Re: Fellow Butterfly Gardners

From: [email-masked] (Rob King)
Date: 26 Dec 1994 07:41:11 -0600

T>Brian Korbelik ([email-masked]) wrote:
 >: Hello,

T>: I would like to make up a a nector and host plant list by regions for
 >: butterflies and moths in the US and Canada. What I would like is
 >: the plants that people have actually seen the leps using, and if
 >: possible what type of butterfly, skipper or moth.
 >: Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There's a fairly new newsgroup: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera  which
deals with this... it has much discussion on butterfy gardening too, so
don't let the name of the group scare you away.

Rob.

---
 * QMPro 1.53 * ------>---->--->-->->> [email-masked] <<-<--<---<-----

---

From: [email-masked] (Riley Foster)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 23:59:55 GMT

It's great to see butterfly gardening again on rec.gdns. There's a 
new file (sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera) just for butterfly fanciers
& I'm encouraging butterfly gardeners to cross post there also. Lloyd
Fortney is correct in that a large sweep or bed of a single flower species
will attract better. I have a several page packet on butterfly gardening
which I will send FREE to anyone who will e-mail me their snail mail 
address. On Prairienet's Garden Gate is a very good list of butterfly-
attracting plants & Karen Fletcher would probalbly be happy to post it
here (again). Park's Seed catalog has a small butterfly next to each
plant (which they claim) will attract butterflies. Plant more habitat
for butterflies & they will prosper.
-- 

          "The more necessary anything appears to my mind, the more
           certain it is that I only assert a limitation."

---

From: [email-masked] (Riley Foster)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 23:59:55 GMT

---

From: Bill Terrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 22:42:21 -0500

Just returned from Callaway Gardens and the Day Butterfly Center-Marvelous
trip for our 2nd visit. I would like to suggest for all of you that can not
get enough butterflys that you send to them for their Butterfly Screen Saver
You need 256 color capable and Windows. It is 12 beautiful pictures that
alternate every few seconds. There is also data on each butterfly that is
easily accessed. It is $9.95 in their Gift shop. I am sure there is probably
some shipping and handling charge for mail order. Their address is:
Callaway Gardens
P.O. Box 2000
Pine Mountain, Ga. 31822-2000
 For what it is worth, it is a hell of lot cooler than flying toasters-These
are actual photos with great color.