Subject: Re: Gardening book for colder climates

From: Nicholas Wiley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 12:04:00 -0800

I agree with Don.  You just need to look harder.  There must be a local 
community extension with such info.  I know of at least one book called 
"Organic Gardening in Colder Climates" but can't remember the author's 
name.  Keep looking and good luck!
Kathleen

On 22 Dec 1994 [email-masked] wrote:

> G Mcclelland ([email-masked]) wrote:
> : I live in zone 4-5; does anyone know of a garden book that is not loaded 
> : with subtropical and tender plants.  Sure, I like the Sunset Garden book, 
> : but sorting out the hardy plants is tedious.
> 
> You just have to look harder :-)  I'm in Edmonton, Alberta (zone 3) and 
> there is lots of info available.  Seriously, you should try looking at 
> some regions with colder climates than California and try adapting their 
> suggestions to your climate.
> 
> Don
> 
>

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 DEC 94 12:09:49 -0500

Taylor's book on perennials (widely available) has a wonderful chart in
it, so that you can look up plants by zone, light, color, height, etc.
You might find it helpful as a quick way to filter out the tropical stuff.
Hope this was of help, and Happy New Year.
 
Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Goos)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 12:57:37

In article <[email-masked]> ettings <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: ettings <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Gardening book for colder climates
>Date: Sat, 31 DEC 94 12:09:49 -0500

>Hope this was of help, and Happy New Year.

I'd like to recommend my favorite reference:

           "Ornamental SHRUBS for Canada" by Lawrence C.Sherk and Arthur R. 
Buckley   of the Ornamental Plant Section , Plant Research Institute, Research 
Branch, Canada Department of Agriculture , Ottawa, Ontario,1968.
            I have two copies garnered, from used bkstrs(One from 
Bellingham,Wa.) as a defense against over reaching garden enthusiasts who 
have failed to return earlier copies to my shelves!
           Another useful title might be 'The Annotated Checklist of Woody 
Plants of California, Oregon, and Washington, authored by Dr.E.Mc Clintlock 
and Prof.A.T.Leiser and published by the University of California.,1979.

            BTW, UCDavis has an excellent agricultural page available on the 
Web. 
            Good Luck and Happy New Year to all.

      Dennis

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 2 Jan 1995 20:03:24 GMT

I'm another Zone 3 gardener (Edmonton, Alberta).  My favorite books are 
as follows:
Andrews, Brian. _Northern Gardens_. Lone Pine Publishing, 1987. ISBN 
0-919433-35-9
Bennett, Jennifer. _The Harrowsmith Northern Gardener_. My copy is 1982 
but there is a newer edition.
Toop, Edgar. _Annuals for the Prairies_. Lone Pine Publishing, the 
University of Alberta and the University of Saskatchewan, 1993. ISBN 
1-555105-034-X
Toop, Edgar W. and Sara Williams. _Perennials for the Prairies_.  
Publisher as above, ISBN 1-555091-005-1
Hole, Lois. _Northern Flower Gardening_. Lone Pine, 1994. ISBN 1-55105-039-0
Hole, Lois. _Northern Vegetable Gardening_. Lone Pine, 1993 I think, 
can't locate my copy.
Harp, H.F. _The Prairie Gardener_. Hurtig, 1970. ISBN 0-88830-093-X 
(probably out of print, but ask your local library).
Vick, Roger. _Gardening on the Prairies : a guide to Canadian Home 
Gardening_. Western Producer Prairie Books, 1987. ISBN 0-88833-119-3

I know there are others as well.  There's one on trees and shrubs for the 
prairies that we have at work.  I work for Alberta Agriculture, Food and 
Rural Development Library, so if anyone wants to email me direct I can 
look it up.

Jane Starr
[email-masked] or [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John Woodworth)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 07:35:38

I recommend *anything* by Leon Snyder, especially:

_Trees and Shrubs for Northern Gardens_
_Gardening in the Upper Midwest_
_Flowers for Northern Gardens_

Dr. Snyder founded the MN Landscape Arboretum and lead research into the 
development of successful, hardy hybrids (Northern Lights azaleas come to 
mind) for USDA zones 5-2.

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Imitation is the sincerest form of parody."

                         Richard Corliss
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (John Woodworth)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 07:35:38

John

                         Richard Corliss