Subject: Re: Chiltern Seeds Catalogue - Address

From: [email-masked] (Bob Beer)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 02:52:01 GMT

Chiltern Seeds
Bortree Stile
Ulverston
Cumbria
LA12 7PB
ENGLAND

Phone:  (01299) 581137
Fax:	(01229) 584549

---

From: [email-masked] ("Richard Lyon")
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 14:40:51 GMT

I agree with all you say about the Chiltern Seeds catalogue - it is by 
far and away the most comprehensive UK catalogue and invariably much 
cheaper than seedsmen like T&M
I have just received my copy and my only complaint is that I would like 
to get it a little earlier in the year so I can sow some of the seeds in 
October to get the full benefit of the autumn and winter to break 
dormancy :-)

Richard

---

From: [email-masked] (Clarke Brunt)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 19:52:50 +0000

In Article <[email-masked]> Bob Beer writes:
>I just got my Chiltern's catalogue in the mail yesterday -- lots of neat
>new stuff.

I agree. I haven't waded through mine yet, but it is my favourite catalog.
I estimate that they list 4000-5000 items - no pictures at all, but good
descriptions.

I bet the companies who do include pictures find that they never sell any
of the un-pictured items. At least with Chiltern, all the items get a fair
chance.

Chiltern are in the UK, but will take orders from abroad. They take credit
cards, and you can order by phone or fax. Let me know if you want the
address.

-- 
Clarke Brunt ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Clarke Brunt)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 19:52:50 +0000

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Beer)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 06:31:12 GMT

Certainly they do.  I have ordered from them for three years in a row.  
The currency difference is no problem, you just give them a credit card 
number, and they go with the current exchange rate.  You can also order 
by phone, but of course a postage stamp is cheaper.  :)  Usually, I go in 
on an order with lots of friend who also want stuff.

You can bring in 
almost any type of seed legally, and actually you can import plants from 
UK if you have an importer's permit.  (But not Dianthus or Salix, for 
reasons that have little to do with pests and more to do with plant 
patents or something.)  The only hitch is that you have to have them 
completely washed of soil, because soil is the vehicle of many pests.  
Still it can be cheaper for some plants like clematis.  I recently went 
in on an order from a clematis specialty nursery and got a plant of 
"Betty Corning" for about 11 dollars after the shipping and washing 
fees.  The same plant would cost (when available) over 30 dollars here, 
and the plants I got were big and robust.  Definitely worth looking into!

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bob Beer) writes:
>>
>>Does Chiltern Seeds ship to US?
>
>
>Chiltern Seeds
>>Bortree Stile
>>Ulverston
>>Cumbria
>>LA12 7PB
>>ENGLAND
>>
>>Phone:  (01299) 581137
>>Fax:	(01229) 584549
>>
>
>
>+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>|  @@@@   @@@@       @  @@@@   | I'm Warped, alright.                      |
>| @    @ @    @     @  @    @  |                                           |
>| @    @  @@       @      @@   | Dan Simpson                               |
>| @    @    @@    @     @@     | Bainbridge Island, WA                     |
>| @    @ @    @  @     @       |                                           |
>|  @@@@   @@@@  @      @@@@@@  | [email-masked]                       |
>+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>