Subject: Re: Deer vs Fruit trees..help

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 19:59:49 -0800

I have fruit trees in my sheep pastureI've veen hoping that when 
the trees get older (they are only a couple of years old) I wouldn't have 
the problem you are describing, so your post is disturbing to me.
	What is working for me for the most part is encircling trees with 
3 t-posts and 2x2 wire. At $2-3 a post and $3 for the fencing, this is 
getting expensive!. I tried 4/x4 wire, but the sheep put their heads 
through. i bought some of my posts from a guy that had surrounded his 
trees to keep his horses out and had even electrified some of the fencing.
	A New Zealander answered a similar post saying that they had 
developed a spray using eggs and water that worked. Another poster got a 
recipe for a similar spray somewhere like the National Gardening magazine.
	For new plantings this year I am going to use Tree shelters. 
These are plastic sleeves that come in heights up to 5 ft. and attach to 
a stake with a cable tie. However, they won't work for old trees as you 
need a straight, unbranched tree to slide the Tree shelter over. 
	Of course, I do have the consolation of putting some of my pests 
in the freezer from time to time....
Bruce Moon
Rio Linda, CA