Subject: How do I start a community garden...?

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: 25 Nov 1994 20:29:04 -0800

Hi, I have recently started a new job with a housing development
company(non-profit) as a support services director. The position is
new so my job description is vague but I have the flexiility to
exercise ny creativity.

I am working with the residents of 4 low-rent housing complexes. 
One of them has a small community garden that is about 50 ft X 50ft.
It seems to be used and I guess the residents have just done fine
as far as peacefully sharing the limited space. Question one- should
I even interfere here(such as trying to involve the kids in growing,
vegetables, to start composting?)?

Second question: has anyone had the experience of the city donating
a piece of land to be used for a community garden, if so was it a long,
drawn out process?

 and is there a book that someone highly recommends
that explains the details of community gardens?

---

From: [email-masked] (David Gurzynski)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 16:44:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] ([email-masked]) wrote:

{ Second question: has anyone had the experience of the city donating
{ a piece of land to be used for a community garden, if so was it a long,
{ drawn out process?
{
{  and is there a book that someone highly recommends
{ that explains the details of community gardens?

There are two organizations in New York City; The Green Guerillas, and
Operation Green Thumb, that you might want to get in touch with.

Operation Greenthumb  49 Chambers St NY NY   (212)233-2926
The Green Guerillas 625 Broadway NY NY 10012 (212) 674-8124

David Gurzynski  * Oh, some like trips in Luxury shops, and some
[email-masked] * in gasoline wagons, and others swear by the
Brooklyn NYC     * upper air and the wings of flying dragons...O Nash

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 27 Nov 1994 23:05:35 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>The Green Guerillas 625 Broadway NY NY 10012 (212) 674-8124
 Check out _Seasonal News_, a quarterly Community Supported Agriculture
Newsletter. Indian Line Farm, RR3, Box 85, Great Barrington, MA,  01230
-- 
 _________________________________________________________________________
  Adam Finkelstein    [email-masked] | (awaiting my muse...)
 ___________________________________________|_____________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (tne)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 01:09:36 GMT

> that explains the details of community gardens?

There's an article in the November edition of The New Environmentalist
that touches on many of these issues.  There's also some contact
information.

On WWW try http://manning.cais.com/ and on gopher, just
manning.cais.com

Good luck with your efforts.