Subject: Any advice for a good plant book?

From: [email-masked] (Brian R. Churm)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 19:04:12 GMT

Hi there,

My better half and I have just placed our orders with Burpee and others for 
the spring collection of seeds and plants. However, there are many 
seeds/plants in these catalogues that we both are not familiar with but would 
like to give a shot at growing.

What I am curious in finding out, is there any book out there (probably like 
an encyclopedia) that lists all the seeds/plants and what their needs are. 
Things like soil PH, light, moisture, the works. The little paragraphs they 
give in the seed catalogues don't do much good and most of the books I have 
found in the bookstore (like Sunset ) usually only deal with the mainstream 
plants.

Any recommendations are welcome. 

Brian Churm
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregg Psky)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 12:24:04 -0500

Take a look at:
Wyman's Garden Encyclopedia, Donald Wyman
Hardy Herbaceous Perennials, Leo Jellitto et. al.
Perennials for American Gardens, Ruth Rogers Clausen et. al.
Herbaceous Perennial Plants, Allan M. Armitage
Encyclopedia of Perennials, Christopher Woods
Encylopedia of Ornamental Grasses, John Greenlee
The Color Dictionary of Flowers and Plants, Roy Hay et. al.
Landscape Plants for Western Regions, Bob Perry
Cooking from the Garden, Rosalind Creasy
All these duplicate information.  Each is unique in it's own way.
Happy gardening.
Gregg Polubinsky
Landscape Architect
Bakersfield, California

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Slenk)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 01:31:07 GMT

Don't do any gardening in California without Sunset's Book.  My son lives 
there, and I saw his copy of The Sunset Book of Western Gardening.  
Approximate title.  There's a new edition coming out in a month or two.  
Don't be without this Bible.  I was very impressed by it.

Howard

MAKE LOVE TO MOTHER EARTH