Subject: PNW gardens/Wade Hooker

From: Toni Haun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 08:58:29 -0800

On 3 Jan 1995, Wade Hooker wrote:

> I am planning a trip to the Northwest of the US in June and would like to
> hear of the names of some public botanical/ornamental gardens in that area.
> I will be traveling through Washington from the Corvallis area on up to
> Vancouver, B.C. with side trips to the Olympic Peninsula and whatever else
> I can squeeze in.  Of particular interest are displays of perennial flwring
> plants (paeonies, poppies) and evergreens.  Any suggestions as to where to
> go would be appreciated.  Thanks.

there is a private garden and mail-order nursery in kingston washington 
that should not be missed. in fact, in early june there is usually a 
friday/saturday open to the public with plant sales and conscripts in the 
garden to help identify the plants. please write to them to find out the 
open days or to schedule a private appointment at some other time. they 
grow a wide variety of perennial plants as well trees and shrubs, both 
evergreen and deciduous. usda zone 8a as far as i know, and truly awe 
inspiring. the mailing address is 

heronswood nursery
7530 288th st ne
kingston, wa  98346

a catalog will run about $3, but it's full of plants to die for. they're 
very cool folks, but as usual overwhelmed by people stopping in and 
dropping in (which they are not zoned for and the neighbors complain 
long and loud and stoop to retaliation), so don't do it without being 
invited. this is truly a garden for the plantsperson.

-t

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Beer)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 08:47:00 GMT

>> go would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Be sure to visit the University of British Columbia Botanical Gardens.  
They have some very unusual rarely-seen things there, including beautiful 
stands of Meconopsis (himalayan blue poppies).  

Also go to Butchart gardens.

In Seattle:

You will be coming on the tail end of the Rhododendron season, but a trip to the Rhododendron 
Species Foundation is still worth it.  It is in Federal Way (south of 
Seattle), 2525 S 336th St. 

In South Seattle, you will want to go to the Kubota Gardens, in the 
Rainier Beach area.  Very interesting and beautiful plantings.  

The Washington Park Arboretum is the region's largest collection of woody 
plants and trees, and is also a great place.  You can get a map and guide 
to the whole place at the visitors center there.  Besides the trees and 
shrubs, there is a rock garden and a well-known Japanese garden.  

Besides the Arboretum, the University of Washington Campus itself is very 
beautifully planted and has many unusual trees.  You can get a walking 
tour guide at the bus stop shelters at the south end of Stevens Way, the 
loop that circles the campus.  While there, stop at the U.W. Medicinal 
Herb Garden.  If you are interested, the U.W. Botany Greenhouse is also 
open to the public, and is right beside the herb garden.  

One of my favorite places, and one that is often overlooked even by lots
of Seattleites, is the Tilth Garden at Good Shepherd Center, on 50th and
Meridian (well, that is the NW edge of the grounds) in the Wallingford
district.  It is not a huge place, but has beautiful and fascinating
borders, mainly due to the work of Gil Schieber, a well-known local
plantsman who makes frequent trips to England to bring back stock and
introduce new plant material to cultivation.  You should also call him and
see if you can arrange to see his place - he has two annual sales but I
believe you can also go by appointment.  He lives in Ballard (northwest
neighborhood). 

While in Ballard, you can also go to the gardens at the Hiram Chittenden 
locks.  It is not huge either but it is especially known for its 
extensive collection of Fuschias, both hardy and non-hardy species and 
hybrids.  

Another place that you *must* go to is the Bellevue Botanical Garden.  It 
is rather new, so it doesn't have the huge collection of old mature 
exotic trees that the Washington Park Arboretum, but it has an incredible 
mixed border that is maintained by the members of the Northwest Perennial 
Alliance.  (N.P.A., Box 45574, Seattle, WA  98145-0574)  You should 
contact them and find out when their next garden tour is, and also the 
Arboretum Foundation (Washington Park Arboretum, XD-10, University of 
Washington, Seattle, WA  98195).  Besides the public gardens, some of the 
most beautiful gardens here are private ones.  Because of the climate, 
Seattle is a very gardening city, and I heard recently that there is more 
diverse plant material here than any other city in the U.S.  Sounds 
right.  :)  Anyway, enjoy, and feel free to call if you come.

Bob Beer

 ============================================================================== 
| Bob Beer                 | "A troubled mind is a trouble maker."             |
| [email-masked]   |                         - Edna St. Vincent Millay |
 ==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Beer)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 08:47:00 GMT

In Seattle:

Bob Beer