Subject: Seed Catalogs for Indigenous Long Island Flowers??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 95 09:52:31 EST

IJ>I want to have a flower garden that is made up of indigenous plants that wil
IJ>be naturally hardy.
IJ> I prefer to grow from organic seeds, if possible.
IJ> Does anybody know of a catalogue or a nursery where I can buy seeds for
IJ>flowers (especially perennials) native to Long Island?
IJ>Is there a listserv that would be pertinent for me?

Would you like to try plants instead of seeds? Some indigenous plants
are hard to germinate and/or raise indoors until that magic day when
they go outside.Trust me-I've tried! <VBG>.

As for what is native to Long Island, check with your local sources.
The Planting Fields Arboretum, Oyster Bay, LI is listed by Vicki
Ferreniea in "Wildflowers in Your Garden" as a place for you to see
native plants.Bear Mountain State Park and The New York Botanical Garden
in the Bronx might also be worth checking out. Your Cooperative
Extension Service might be able to reccomend more sites to check.

Some of the best indigenous plant sources are in the Southeast. I have
personally ordered from Gardens of The Blue Ridge and Eco Gardens, and
had excellent results. Others include Niche Gardens, Holbrook, Plant
Delights, and Woodlanders. The Vermont Wildflower Farm specializes in
seeds.
---
 þ OLX 2.1 TD þ 1¾