Subject: Folklore of Plants

From: lpindzol (lpindzol)
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 1994 20:22:12 -1812

Do any of you plant experts have any folklore about flowers, herbs, or
plants in general which I, as a college student could use in my folklore
paper? I am specifically trying to connect the symbol of LOVE,romance, to
plants. 
			I am interested in superstitions, predictions of finding a mate. 
Anything really would be helpful.  
			Some ideas to guide you, or revive a memory include things such as;
reciting "s/he loves me, s/he loves me not", as one is pulling the petals
off of a daisy,  kissing under the mistletoe, giving a red rose for
passion, the superstision of not bringing violets into the house if they
are covered with dew because the oldest daughter will not marry.
			Thanks for your help.

	Lauren Pindzola
	[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lisa Nunamaker-Orgler)
Date: 14 Dec 1994 17:20:22 GMT

I have a couple of ideas for you --  one book that I just love is written by
Sara Midda.  I      can't remember the exact title right now but it has the
word garden in it.  It is full of folklore and beautiful pictures!

Another book is by Hal Borland and Les Line, called A Countryman's Woods. 
It describes how plants got their names.  the same author also wrote a book
with a similar title -- A Countryman's Flowers or something like that.  Try
-- 
Lisa L Orgler
[email-masked]