Subject: Fellow Butterfly Gardners

From: [email-masked] (CHARLES HERSEY)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 01:04:00 -0500

->  BK> I would like to make up a a nector and host plant list by regions for
->  BK> butterflies and moths in the US and Canada. What I would like is
->  BK> the plants that people have actually seen the leps using, and if 
->  BK> possible what type of butterfly, skipper or moth.
->  BK> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
->  
-> Here in SoCal, I've noticed butterflies, and especially moths, are
-> attrated to lantana.

Here in the Laurentian mountains, we welcome the august visit of 
migrating monarch butterflys. They winter over in Mexico, I believe. 
The only nectar they seem to like is that of the milk weed plant. The 
two together are a sight.

The milkweed grows best in vacant lots, and abandoned fields. In my 
case it grows where lawn meets bush.

Happy Trails,
ÿ
CH

 * 1st 1.11 * Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 14:10:19 GMT

> case it grows where lawn meets bush.

   Here in NC, I occasionally get flights of monarchs coming down to fall
asters and chrys.  I think the secret is a large drift of the same color. 
Maybe they need  to see it from far away.  One year I had them falling
>from  dots in the sky like leaves dumped from an airplane.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney ---Opinions, just opinions---

---

From: Donald Kackman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 21:02:46 GMT

> from dots in the sky like leaves dumped from an airplane.

In Minnesota they seem to like big swaths of Fleece Flower (Polygonium).
At least I think they are Monarchs, could be those darn imposters as well! ;)

On one occassion as I was doing some weeding in a fleece flower bed, there
must have been a cloud of about a hundred around and on me and the flowers.
It was an incredible sight.

Don Kackman

---

From: [email-masked] (Okie Mom)
Date: 31 Dec 1994 02:55:28 -0500

In Oklahoma I enjoy black swallowtails on parsley and dill.  They come to
these, of course, for purposes of egg-laying.  I also found, to my dismay,
that white cabbage butterflies lay their eggs on water cress, and the
results can be devastating.