Subject: Re: Gardening Book For New England Area?

From: [email-masked] (Mike Gravel)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:44:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
|> I'm located in SoCalif.  A friend -- also located here -- is looking for 
|> a Xmas gift for her children, who are JUST BEGINNING to garden.  THEY are 
|> located outside of Boston, so gardening books for our SoCalif. climate 
|> wouldn't work for them!  
|> Any recommendations would be appreciated.  NEEDED:  A good, all-round, 
|> basic gardening book for the Massachusetts/New England area!  Please post 
|> here, OR e-mail to:	[email-masked]
|> Jeri Collari

WGBH, Boston's public television station, produces a show called the Victory
Garden. One of the two demonstration gardens they use in just outside Boston.
There are several books from this show that are good solid basic gardening
books for the Boston area (zone 5 and 6). The books all have "Victory
Garden" in their title. The titles that I am familiar with are:

	Crockett's Victory Garden
	The Victory Garden
	The New Victory Garden (or something similar)
	The Victory Garden Landscape Guide

-Michael

---

From: [email-masked] (John Vitale)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 04:39:30 GMT

>|> 
>Garden...
>. The books all have "Victory
I agree with these recommendations and the series on PBS.  Excellent material.

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 20:57:26 -0500

I'm a newbie, so please forgive any errors.  Lewis and Nancy Hill have
written numerous gardening books, including *Cold Climate Gardening*,
another on perennials, another called, I think, *Fruits and Berries for the Home
Garden* all put out by Storey Communications' Garden Way Publishing, in
Pownal, VT.  They live and have gardened fanatically for more than
50 years in Northern Vermont, and write in a very entertaining and informative
style.  I know that these books can also be purchased at the Brooklyn
Botanical Garden.  I hope you can read this and that it's of some
help! --Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (Guy Washburn)
Date: 1 Dec 1994 03:39:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> I'm located in SoCalif.  A friend -- also located here -- is looking for 
> a Xmas gift for her children, who are JUST BEGINNING to garden.  THEY are 
> located outside of Boston, so gardening books for our SoCalif. climate 
> wouldn't work for them!  
> Any recommendations would be appreciated.  NEEDED:  A good, all-round, 
> basic gardening book for the Massachusetts/New England area!  Please post 
> here, OR e-mail to:	[email-masked]
> Jeri Collari

I highly recommend: The Harrowsmith Northern Gardener, by Jennifer Bennett 
(Camden House, 1982, ISBN 0-920656-22-6).  This book went out of print and
was reprinted a few years ago.  It has everything a beginning vegetable 
gardener needs to know.  Good for all cold-weather regions up into Canada.
Includes instructions for each type of vegetable, commonly-found insects
(good and bad), diseases...

A great companion book is The Healthy Garden Handbook: An Illustrated
Guide to Combating Insects, Garden Pests, and Plant Diseases. By the
Editors of Mother Earth News. (Simon & Schuster/Fireside. 1989. ISBN
0-671-65788-7).  This book is terrific for all regions -- photos and
detailed descriptions of pests, helpful insects, and diseases, with
biological (i.e., non-toxic) solutions to the problem.

Hope this helps!

Laura Reiner from the cyberdesk of Guy Washburn