Subject: Excel Seeds, Good, Bad or Ugly?

From: [email-masked] (Dale Palmer )
Date: 8 Jan 1995 19:44:40 GMT

A retail operation in my town has excel seeds advertised for $.10 per pack.
This being the first year both in a new house and trying to start plants 
>from  seeds, I thought that I would try these and find out if I liked this
method and if it was worth the time and effort.  In the past I went to a
local nursery for all but a few bulbs and live plants that I ordered via 
a catalog.

My question is, will I only be wasting my time with these seeds, or would
this be an inexpensive way to get started in seed propigation?  Realize I
am neither a purist or spend a great amount of time gardening.

Looking forward to your responces.
Dale

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

	"All I know is that the hours are long, under these conditions,
	and constrain us to beguile them with proceedings which ... may at
        first sight seem reasonable, until they become a habit."

					Vladimir, Act Two, Scene One
					While Waiting for Godot
					Samuel Beckett
	Dale A. Palmer
	[email-masked]
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerald Sacks)
Date: 9 JAN 95 09:21:50

There's nothing wrong with 10 cent seed packs.  The varieties might not be
the best for your area, and they're certainly not new or exciting, but they'll
germinate fine (they have to -- the U.S. government has germination standards).
Excel (and others of their ilk) buy inexpensive seeds in bulk and repackage
them.  I've used 10 cent packs for flat-leaf parsley for years and have had
good results.