Subject: The 'Ubileen' pear from Bulgaria - info needed

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Postman)
Date: 6 Dec 1994 07:23:37 GMT

I would like some help from pomologists in Eastern Europe, or
elsewhere, who might know something about the Pear cultivar "Ubileen". 
This is a European Pear that was imported into the United States from
Bulgaria about 30 years ago, and is growing in our temperate fruit
germplasm collection in Corvallis, Oregon.  We have no information,
other than a name, to go with this cultivar.  It is an early ripening
pear, several weeks before Bartlett (or Williams), and even ripens before
Clapp Favorite or Butirra Precoce Morettini.  The fruit is especially
large for this early season, pyriform in shape, ripens to green/yellow
with a red blush on the sunny side. 

   Does anyone know the Ubileen pear?  I would like to know where and 
when it originated, the pedigree (if it is from a deliberate cross) and 
the name of the breeder, other names or synonyms, and any other 
historical information.

Please respond by email - It's hard to keep up with this very active group!

Thanks,  

 =============================================================================
       Joseph D. Postman	|	N ational	       /
      -PLANT PATHOLOGIST-	|	C lonal		     / \   Eat More
     [email-masked]	|	G ermplasm	    /   \   Fruit!
     [email-masked]	|	R epository	    \ _ /
 =============================================================================
	USDA/Agricultural Research Service, Corvallis, Oregon, USA