Subject: Re: Herb questions???

From: [email-masked] (-engels s.m.)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 21:34:05 GMT

I grow piccolo verde basil, genovese basil, chocolate mint, spearmint,
rosemary, chives & parsley in containers in a greenhouse window(New
Hampshire zone 5). They go outside in the summer - some on the deck
and some in the garden.  The basil gets planted from seed every year.

Most herbs will grow in containers. You can group them in nice-looking
easy-to-care-for arrangements.  A good kitchen mix is parsley, chives
and basil.  I've read that bay & rosemary do well combined with a low
growing carpet of thyme or chamomile.  Keeps the soil shaded.  I haven't
tried it, but these sound like great aromatic combinations. 

Good luck -- herbs are pretty easy to grow and once you start, you can't
stop.  I started 10 years ago with a couple of rosemarys & mints from
seed.  I now have a full greenhouse kitchen window and a 8'X10'
herb garden!  And I'm a very lazy gardener.

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 6 Jan 1995 22:58:30 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (-engels
> rosemary, chives & parsley in containers in a greenhouse window(New

Basil, while easy to grow, produces a VERY large root system as it gets
older.  So, either plant it in a large pot, or plan to start it from seed
several times during the year.

Sara Sunden
[email-masked]