Subject: 2nd CFV: rec.ponds

From: [email-masked] (Mark James)
Date: 2 Dec 1994 12:14:08 -0500

2nd CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
 
                     Unmoderated group rec.ponds
 
Newsgroups line:
rec.ponds		Pond issues:  plants, fish, design, maintenance.

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 12 December 1994.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  For voting
questions only, contact Mark James <[email-masked]>.  For 
questions about the proposed group, contact Janette Wallis 
<[email-masked]>.

CHARTER
-------

Rec.ponds is an unmoderated newsgroup to provide a forum for the
discussion of all aspects of ponds or water gardens.   

The rec.ponds newsgroup will appeal to a wide range of people 
involved in both the recreational and professional aspects of establishing
and maintaining a pond or water garden.  We'll have novices to water
gardening as well as experts, the hobbyist as well as genuine botanists
and ichthyologists.  Even students wishing to find help with science
projects may decide to read rec.ponds.  All of these people will be 
welcomed to share ideas, ask questions, or simply lurk and learn.

Examples of discussion topics might include:

* Building a pond/water garden:  
Details will be shared regarding best materials to use, procedures for
making the pond secure, and appropriate placement of the pond.  Or, in
the case of a naturally occurring pond, what can be done to make it more
"user friendly"?  We'll have tips on building a waterfall, installing a
fountain, whether to use a filter, and how to install a biological
filter.  Also, we may give information on lighting and how to safely run
electrical lines to the pool area. 

* Establishing a perfect ecosystem:
Where else can you create your own ecosystem and watch it evolve?  
We'll have discussions on water quality; ratio of plant life to animal life;
plant/animal interactions, etc.

* Plant life:
We'll discuss which plants are best suited for our water gardens.  Which
plants need a lot of sunlight, which will survive in the pond over
winter, which need to be taken indoors, etc?    The rec.ponds 
newsgroup will serve as a forum for discussing plant diseases and cures, 
when to divide, and how to propagate our plants.   We'll also share 
information on establishing an area for bog plants.

* Fish:
We'll share information on fish behavior, biology, and health.   For
example: Which fish are compatible?  What's the maximum number of fish
for the size of a pond?   What conditions should exist in the pond so
the fish will breed?  How do we protect the fry from danger and see that
they grow into healthy adults?   Which diseases are likely to affect
pond fish?   How much should we feed the fish, and how often?

* Amphibians and reptiles:
We'll discuss the biology, health, and behavior of frogs, newts,
salamanders, turtles, etc. that either come naturally to the pond or are
placed there by us.  Which ones get along?

* Other environmental concerns:
In rec.ponds, we'll discuss how to make certain the pond is
not a safety hazard for small children or pets.   How can we attract 
butterflies?  Should we attract snails?   Also, how do we guard against 
unwanted visitors (raccoons, cats, snakes, herons) that may prey on the 
fish and/or plants in a pond?    What about the use of fertilizers or
insecticides near the pond?   Rec.ponds can be a place to 
exchange information on (non-political) conservation issues.

* Miscellaneous:  
Students can use rec.ponds as a place for learning more about plant and
animal life in and around water.  We may exchange information regarding
suppliers of equipment, literature regarding water garden techniques,
location of other electronic resources, etc.  (However, rec.ponds is
*not* intended as a forum for commercial transactions with respect to
sale of plants, fish, or pond equipment.)

* In the future, rec.ponds may develop FAQ's that address each of
the above topics.

RATIONALE
---------

Because most water gardeners have both plant and animal life in their
pond, discussions on development and care of ponds has previously been
split between rec.gardens, rec.aquaria, and rec.pets.herp.   There is no
newsgroup dedicated only to the interests of water gardeners.

HOW TO VOTE
-----------

You should send E-MAIL (posts to a group are invalid) to:

      [email-masked]

Just replying by E-MAIL to this message should work, assuming you are
reading this using standard newsreader software.  Your mail message 
should contain one and only one of the following statements:

      I vote YES on rec.ponds
      I vote NO on rec.ponds
      I ABSTAIN on rec.ponds
      I CANCEL my vote on rec.ponds

You may add a comment, or use other wording, but only a definite, 
unconditional, unambiguous statement for or against the creation of 
rec.ponds will count as a vote.

Neither ABSTAIN nor CANCEL messages are counted as votes; they serve
only to cancel any previous vote.  Abstentions are noted in the final
vote list, whereas CANCEL removes your vote from that list entirely.
(This is the only difference between the two.)

If you later change your mind you may vote again; only your last valid
vote will count.

All votes will be acknowledged by E-mail.  If you don't receive an
acknowledgment within a few days of your vote, vote again.  It is your
responsibility to make sure your vote is registered correctly.

Standard Guidelines for voting apply: no more than one vote per person,
no more than one vote per account.  If you attempt multiple votes or 
other vote fraud, all your votes may be canceled and your name published.

RESULT
------

The complete vote list will be posted with the vote result, including
how each person voted.  Note that Usenet votes are not done by secret 
ballot.

There will then be a five-day period during which the published vote
list may be corrected and any irregularities addressed.  The 
requirements for group creation are 100 more YES votes than NO votes,
and 2/3 of all counted votes being YES. 

BOUNCED VOTE ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
----------------------------

Vote acknowledgment messages to the following address have bounced.
(The vote has been counted.)

[email-masked] (Steven Warthan) 

-- 
Mark James  <[email-masked]>    
Dialogic Corporation, 3307 Northland Dr  | "We must believe in free will.
Suite 270, Austin TX 78731 U.S.A.        |  We have no choice."
+1 512 459 7766 ext 110                  |  -- I. B. Singer

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark James)
Date: 2 Dec 1994 12:14:08 -0500

Newsgroups line:

CHARTER
-------

* Plant life:

* Fish:

* Miscellaneous:  

RATIONALE
---------

HOW TO VOTE
-----------

      [email-masked]

      I vote YES on rec.ponds
      I vote NO on rec.ponds
      I ABSTAIN on rec.ponds

RESULT
------