Subject: Re: Ponds

From: [email-masked] (Arnold Chamove)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 14:31:21

I intend to put in a few Koi and a selection 
>of goldfish etc. Comments would be welcome.

Koi are quite flighty unless in a pond where they cannot hide and with 
goldfish; then they are a joy.

 but how to transport fish by car from there is a bit of
>a worry. 

Most fish suppliers will post them to you.  They travel well in water with 
pure oxygen in a plastic bag (in a box), and can handle that for 36 hours 
anyway.  Even fry can be posted this way.  

In a car, you need to have about twice the water per volume of fish.   Keep 
the fish water cool (with ice if necessary), and a bubbler is beneficial. Most 
acquarioum stores can supply you with loan of a pump that will run off the car 
lighter.  If necessary you can transport goldfish and carp in damp moss (the 
Chinese do) for about 24 hours--just keep it real damp.
Arnold Chamove
Massey University Psychology Dept
Palmerston North, New Zealand
[email-masked]