Subject: Seed Companies - Who's Who?

From: "David E. Bradford" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Dec 1994 18:06:30 GMT

I know that Park's and Wayside must be either sister companies or the
same company. However, I was suprised last year when my order from
Cook's Garden came to me with a South Carolina return address (or
was it the charge card billing address?).Anyway, this got me wondering
if Cook's Garden wasn't somehow associated with Park/Wayside.
Cook's Garden is supposedly out of Vermont, I think, and a family
business. Does Park/Wayside just handle their shipping or something?

And while we are at it, are there other seed companies which operate
under several names?

No problem with either Park, Wayside, or Cook's Garden mind you. I
happen to like them a lot. But I am wondering just how many players
are really in the seed business.

Thanks.

Dave Bradford
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Winstead Farms)
Date: 20 Dec 1994 14:07:47 GMT

Some larger seed companies use growers in various parts of the country to 
produce their seeds and plants.  In order to save on shipping costs your 
order may have been direct shipped from a contract grower.  We are an 
herb and novelty plant nursery in North Central Florida, and do mail 
order for live plants.  We also contract grow for other nurseries.  
Because we specialize in herbs, we can produce plants for them cheaper 
than they could grow themselves.

		Lise, Winstead Farms "herbs for all seasons"

---

From: [email-masked] (Winstead Farms)
Date: 20 Dec 1994 14:07:47 GMT