Subject: The Catalogs are Coming!

From: "J. Conybeare" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 16:00:58 -0600

Greetings from Southeast Iowa (zone 5)!

Right about now the catalogs that are most important for planning and
planting my garden in zone 5, southeast Iowa are arriving--e.g., White
Flower and Pinetree, which have both just arrived.  It seems too early
this year--does it seem so to anyone else?  I've barely packed up from
last summer, which seemed to extend right into late November.  I won't be
ready to even LOOK at my catalogs for another month.  And what with my
recent initiation into "cybergardening," time is even more scarce!! 

Does anyone know what I mean?

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynn Edwards)
Date: 29 Dec 1994 16:45:05 -0800

J. Conybeare ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Greetings from Southeast Iowa (zone 5)!

: Right about now the catalogs that are most important for planning and
: planting my garden in zone 5, southeast Iowa are arriving--e.g., White
: Flower and Pinetree, which have both just arrived.  It seems too early
: this year--does it seem so to anyone else?  I've barely packed up from
: last summer, which seemed to extend right into late November.  I won't be
: ready to even LOOK at my catalogs for another month.  And what with my
: recent initiation into "cybergardening," time is even more scarce!! 

Actually, we have the opposite problem here in northern california (Zone 
9).  The average last frost date is February 15.  Many of the plants are 
started indoors before that, plus there is time needed to compare 
catalogs, order the seeds, and wait for them to arrive.  December is just 
about right fro catalogs - and frankly, the ones that arrive in January 
are at a disadvantage because I've already ordered elsewhere.

I would think that the seed companies would realize the difference in 
zones and mail the catalogs accordingly.  

---Lynn Edwards

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacqueline S. Biscardi)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 16:31:23 GMT

Hello from Virginia (zone 7)!  I was thrilled to get my
catalogs (Park, White Flower, Wayside) even though I just
(finally) got done mulching everybody a few weeks ago.  Right
now the temperatres have been in the 50's (and 60's!) but
colder weather is on the way.  I miss my garden already, but
yes, it does seem a tad early to be getting these catalogs...at
least let my credit cards recover from Christmas before luring
me with David Austin roses, astilbe (oooh...gonna put in that
shade garden this year!), etc, etc...

Jacquie