Subject: "Why We Garden" Lecture

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 19:39:59 GMT

The Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College cordially invites you to "Why We
Garden" a lecture by J.C. Raulston, Sunday, Feb. 5, 1995, at 2 p.m. in the
Lang Performing Arts Center, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania.

J.C. will examine the motives and rewards of gardening.  He'll also analyze
the reasons we garden including:  necessity, pleasure, fear, control and
creative expresson.

Dr. Raulston is Professor of Horticulture and Director of the North
Carolina State University Arboretum in Raleigh.  He has traveled to over
700 public gardens in 50 states and 56 countries.  He has taught over 14
different horticulture courses and has driven over 50,000 miles to bring
courses to industry professionals in North Carolina and has written for
over 150 publications. 

This is a rare opportunity to hear J.C. present a philosophical lecture.
There will be a dessert reception following this event (a great chance to
get to know other gardeners).  Cost for the afternoon is $16 for Arboretum
members and $20 for nonmembers.  If you are interested in this event,
please e-mail me your name and MAILING address and I'll send you an
invitation.   

(I also want to apologize for sending this announcement to the entire list
since only nearby folks would be likely to participate, but  have no way of
doing so.)

Kris Benarcik
Scott Arboretum

---

From: [email-masked] (Lubomir Dolezel)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 01:46:16 GMT

I know JC Raulston, and would enjoy hearing this particular talk. But
since 9/10 of us on the net won't be anywhere nearby, wouldn't
someone (the original poster, for instance) like to give us a summary
of this interesting lecture?

Nancy Traill (email:[email-masked])
York University, Toronto