Subject: 2 Catalog Recommendations

From: "J. Conybeare" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 20:40:20 -0600

On 27 Jan 1995, Simone Rosa-Knight wrote:

> On a slightly diff. subject, the above mentioned mag. [Garden Gate] also 
offers the 
> following catalogs, which I would like this groups enlightened opinion 
> of before I request them.
> 
> Dutch Bulb Catalog from Peter deJager Bulb Co.
> Dutch Gardens catalog
> John Scheepers Flower Bulbs from John Scheepers, Inc.
> Jung's Seed & Nursery Catalog
> Van Engelen Flower Bulbs from Van Engelen, Inc.
> Milaeger's Gardens
> 
> Pls. respond to me directly or post here so that everyone may benefit 
> from your experiences, good or bad.
> 
Simone and others:

I can vouch for 2 of the above.  Dutch Gardens produces a wonderful
catalog full of big glossy photos in spring and fall.  They specialize in
bulbs, but also offer some perennials, which I haven't tried. I have
ordered from them several times over the last two years and their bulbs
always arrive looking fresh, healthy and generous in size.  They describe
the size categories of various offers clearly, which explains why 
prices vary and helps in making choices.  Most of my daffodils and lilies 
are from Dutch Gardens and I look forward each spring to greeting the new 
plantings and watching the older ones get bigger, better and prettier 
year by year.

Dutch Gardens
P.O. Box 200
Adelphia, NJ 07720
Phone:  908-780-2713
Fax:  908-780-7720 

Milaeger's in Wisconsin is another fine outfit.  Their plants are 
usually mailed in pots and always arrive in hearty condition, with 
healthy foliage and good roots.  They are also happy to stay in 
their pots for a while if I can't plant them immediately.  The company 
has been completely accommodating in honoring their liberal guarantee 
and I feel totally confident in ordering from them.  You'll find their 
catalog informative and inspirational.  Although they are not 
as glitzy as White Flower Farm, for example, their selections are every 
bit as interesting.  Milaeger's is definitely one of my mainstays.

Milaeger's Gardens
4838 Douglas Ave.
Racine, WI 53402-2498
1-800-669-9956 (To order)
1-414-639-2371 (Other business)
FAX 1-414-639-1855

Happy Ordering!    

Nancy C. in Southeast Iowa (zone 5)