Subject: Re: Japanese Climbing Hydrangea Q

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 14:38:35 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Linda M. French) wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with a vine called
> schizophragma hydrangeoides ...
> 
> 
Linda-

We have been growing several different selections of Schizophragma here at
the arboretum (Zone 6) including the cultivars 'Moonlight' and 'Rosea' for
years and I have been growing the cultivar 'Moonlight' at home for 4 years.
 All are handsome plants, but I am particularly fond of 'Moonlight' because
of its glowing white venation, and in my humble opinion is far superior to
the species.  But both the species and selections should do well for you;
they are rather slow at the start, but not as slow a Hydrangea petiolaris. 
They don't protrude from the wall/fence or whatever else you are growing
them on like H. petiolaris has a tendency to do, but lay more flat.

Forestfarm Nursery, 990 Tethrow Road, Williams, OR 97544-9599 has several
selections of Schizophragma including 'Moonlight'; I've ordered from them
before--they are prompt, with good quality and nice-sized plants.

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum