Subject: Re: Bay tree information needed

From: [email-masked] (Tom Atkinson (Toronto, Ontario))
Date: 1 Mar 1995 17:49:55 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Dan Wagner) writes:
>I want to plant or grow a Bay tree.  I live in Zone 4 is this possible and if 
>so where can I find one?

----------------------------------------------------. 
|                                                      
| Tom Atkinson (woody plant afficionado, and grower)   
|    Zone 6b                                           
|  (Metropolitan) Toronto, Ontario, Canada (eh!)       
|                                                      
----------------------------------------------------. 

 Dan, do you want a Bayberry shrub? It sure as the dickens will be
hardy in N. Ohio. We Great Lakes types have no trouble with it.
The Latin binomial is 'Myrica pensylvanica'. Try the Holden 
Arboretum in Kirtland, Ohio (east of Cleveland) for precise
identification of "Bay tree".

---

From: [email-masked] (Boyd Zenner)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 19:42:28 GMT

Are you looking for a supplier of bay (laurus nobilis)? 

White Flower Farms carries the best-sized ones I've seen (if
you're willing to pay whatever it costs--c. $30.00, I think).

Boyd

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Atkinson (Toronto, Ontario))
Date: 1 Mar 1995 17:49:55 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Boyd Zenner)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 19:42:28 GMT

Boyd

---

From: [email-masked] (Pearce)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 10:38:37 -0500

>>I want to plant or grow a Bay tree.  I live in Zone 4 is this possible and if 
 
Dan,
I've purchased a Bay tree, (laural Nobius) from a nursery catalog
here in the USA. I'm in zone 5 and I bring the tree (2-3 feet) in,
in the winter. Just check the nursery catalogues under herbs.
If you have problems send me e-mail and I'll try to find it
in my current catalogues.

Mike Pearce	[email-masked]