Subject: Re: paper pots

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Mar 1995 18:21:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Marina C. Blomberg) writes:
>Forget the $17 gadget. Simply tear strips of nespaper about 3 inches wide 
>(experiment - you'll see that newspaper tear easier and straight the long 
>way than from the top of the page to the bottom) and wrap around your 
>three of four fingers of one hand. Set them carefully on a seed flat or 
>tray with drainage holes - place closely side by side - and fill with 
>your seed-starting mix. If you've got kids, this is a fun project. And 
>yes, the newspaper decomposes rapidly in the soil. If you make them extra 
>tick, they are sturdier, but break down just as quickly when they become 
>soggy. Don't worry about the ink - most used in the U.S. today are soy 
>based. The slick inserts have a lot of clay, but break down eventually, 
>too. Good luck! Marina B. in Gainesville, FLA

I, too, make my own paper pots this way--but I wrap the paper around my four
fingers once, fold the "tail" at a diagonal, wrap around the bottom, bring it
up and tuck over the top edge of the pot (hard to explain, but not hard to do). 
A staple or tape holds the flap down.  They need to to be scrunched down a
little to help them stand upright, but work fine.  Learned this trick from some
cub scouts working on recycling.    Lily L.

---

From: [email-masked] (Marina C. Blomberg)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 22:11:45 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandra Hoffman)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 12:48:50 -0500

I use a narrow glass. Roll the strip of paper around the glass. I let 
about an inch of the paperhang off the bottom of the glass. I fold the 
overhang in to form a bottom for the pot, and then press the bottom of 
the glass down on a hard flat surface to make sure the folds are tight.

I think I read this technique in this group sometime last year.

sph
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandra Hoffman)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 12:48:50 -0500

sph

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 21:09:59 -0500

This is a terrific idea!