Subject: Re: Growing Western Sagebrush

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Mar 95 21:47:27 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Seth Pybas) writes:
> This may or may not be an appropriate newsgroup for this post, so if I 
> transgress, my apologies.
> 
> My problem is this.  I live in the New York area, but have managed to get 
> a hold of some artemisia tridentata (Big Sagebrush) seeds and would like 
> to get them to sprout, but I'm having difficulty.
> 
> The soil should be moderately alkaline and have great drainage, as this
> is typical of the desert climate in which it grows best.  I think if I 
> can get over this hurdle I can get them to sprout.  How do I increase 
> alkalinity?
> 
You've come to the right spot.  And lime is probably the answer.  You
probably should have a pH test or use pH paper to see how much you need.

As to germination, the book you want to get is Young and Young, Collecting,
Processing and Germinating Seeds of Wildland Plants, from Timber Press.
(title may be a bit off, but Young and Young and Timber Press are right).
They've got some good information on germinating various species of
Artemesia.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Seth Pybas)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 20:47:54 GMT

Any suggestions?  Thanks very much.