Subject: Re: sources for electric fences

From: [email-masked] (Lynsey Gedye)
Date: 2 Mar 95 11:55:14 GMT-12

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (douglas.rhodes) writes:
>
>Does anyone have sources for electric fences to keep deer and other
>varmints out of my soon-to-be planted veg beds?  What about the
>cost of these systems?

  Hi Doug

  I guess you've been swamped with elec-trickery.  Here electric
  fences are a way of life because the hills make ordinary fencing
  very expensive (to the point of using helicopters to drop in
  supplies).  I digress.

  Asking the cost of the system is a little like asking what is
  the cost of a ball of string.  In fact it is exactly that because
  the jolt is gently administered thru the string - well, wire.

  We actually concentrate on keeping the deer and other varmits
  inside the fences so we can convert 'em into foreign exchange.
  Bambi burger anyone?  =;)

  Speedrite systems live in the next town and their sm25000 maxima
  unit will power up to 250km of wire through high growth vegetation.
  Costs $NZ960.86.  (You need wire, standards etc etc $$$ etc).

  The sb5000 solar is $NZ1292.46.

  For smaller but ok for large dairy, sheep, deer and beef farms
  requiring max subdivision, 94km of wire, the sm9800, $475.31.

  How long's a piece of string? =:)

  If you need (who knows? even want) more info, drop me a note.
  By the way, Speedrite has just deposited a gazillion dollars
  into my numbered Belize bank account for this fabulous advert.

--
[email-masked]