Subject: Re: What tree/plant is this?

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 09:49:24 -0800

Michelle A. Berteig ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi,

: I live in the southern CA area, Pasadena area to be more precise.
: In the evenings this time of year (I've just started to notice it),
: you can smell a very good-smelling fragrance in the air, and I
: would love to know what kind of plant is doing it!  I think it may
: be a tree, but I am not sure.  I also believe the fragrance is
: in the air in fall evenings as well.  I've only ever noticed it
: after dark.  It smells so good, like perfume almost, and I'd love
: to have one in my garden! 
	At first I was going to guess that your fragrance was *Cestrum 
nocturnum*, Night-Blooming Jasmine.  My neighbor has one and I enjoy 
night walks past the place to smell it.  But Cestrum ain't bloomin' 
now(summer) so maybe you are smelling *Pittosporum undulatum*, Victorian 
Box.  It's a small-to-medium tree from Australia that blooms all day but 
might seem more fragrant when the off-shore evening breezes catch the 
scent.  It has dark green, wavy leaves and small white flowers.  You 
should find some ugly little capsules underneath the tree, fruit left 
over from last summer.

: Also, my neighbor has a fruit tree of a type I have never seen
: before.  He says the fruits are called sapote, that is a Spanish
: name.  They are round and yellow, about the size of an apple or orange.
: Can anyone tell me more about these?  Can you eat them?  Are they
: good for anything in particular? (except dropping all over my
: back porch??!?! haha)
	We got educated about this tree a couple weeks ago.  (I'd never 
heard of it).  Here's what *Sunset* says:  "*Casimiroa edulis*,  White 
Sapote.  Evergreen, or erratically behaves as deciduous tree.  Zones 15, 
16-24.  Beautiful tropical tree that will withstand more cold than most 
avocadoes, and seems to do well wherever lemons are grown.  To 50ft.
	Tree bears heavy crop of 3-4-in, round fruits, pale green to 
yellow.  Flavor is described in many ways--similar to peach but more 
bland, banana only sweeter, ripe pear in rich syrup, custard with 
banana-peach flavor.  Consistency of papaya.  Fruit ripens August through 
November.  Overripe fruit becomes slightly bitter.....
	{N}eeds ample water and consistent feeding.  Budded trees give 
best fruit, and are grown in limited quantities.  'Coleman', 'Pike', 
'Wilson', and 'Suebelle' are all good varieties."
	I've been wandering the nurseries looking for one, but so far, no luck.
Jerry Heverly, Instr. of Hort, Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA

: Thanks for any information.

: -Michelle

-- 

Jerry Heverly, Oakland, CA