Subject: Re: Botanical Software???

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 18 Feb 1995 16:54:34 GMT

I believe the new and soon-to-be-released DCROM version of Sunset's 
Garden Book meets most if not all of your criteria, however it covers 
plants most suitable for the US West. 

In addition, I have found these products, looking since ~August/94:

     Hort-A-Sort ($69.95) from Birdbrain Software easily wins the 
silliest name award, but its 2,000 plant encyclopedia shows an 
intelligent mind under the humor. Hort-A-Sort is divided into nine 
databases, but they seem more logical than Flower Finder's three -- 
flowering plants, for example, are lumped together, with separate 
categories for cacti and succulents, alpine and rock plants, herbs and 
everlastings, etc. No plants can be added, and the biggest drawback is 
you can only search by one criterion at a time. This is laborious (and 
searches are slow even in the small-sized demo version I reviewed), but 
help menus are onscreen to list choices. Herb information was especially 
good, and there are plant sources for all entries.
Hort-A-Sort
Birdbrain Software
S74 W20800 Field Dr.
Muskego, WI 53150

===

     Plant-finder programs are enormously useful, integrating lots of 
encyclopedic information, a definite advantage over paging through 
scattered books and catalogs, and good systems make searches fast and 
efficient. The Cadillac of the plant-finders is Hortis Opis ($250). Only 
Volume I is available, with 5,000 trees, shrubs, vines, bamboos and 
grasses. Complete with cultivars and vendor sources, it's a computerized 
catalog. (Unfortunately, Volume II -- annuals, perennials, bulbs, roses, 
ferns -- may be awhile, and vegetables aren't even planned.) Easy and 
well designed, Hortis Opis has 18 search criteria with pop-up help menus, 
a gratifying feature. Plant information is meticulous and exhaustive, 
with a pop-up journal for notes. If you could add plants to this 
magnificent encyclopedia, Hortis Opis would be perfect.  
Hortis Opis
J. Mendoza Gardens
18 E. 16th St.
New York City, NY 10003
212-989-4253

*************

If you receive other inforomation directly, would you repost it or 
forward it to me as well? Thanx.

In article <[email-masked]>,
Grahame Rumsby <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Does anyone know of either CD or regular software that has photos, 
>descriptions, latin as well as common plant names that are searchable and able 
>to be cross referenced???
>Have been looking 4 some time but not 2 lucky as of yet..
>
>Thanx,
>
>Grahame

---

From: [email-masked] (HPMINC)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 20:26:28 -0500

Grahame,  I have GARDEN COMPANION on CD-Rom by Lifestyle Software group. 
It has a lot of material on it with a wealth of photos , Latin names,
growing conditions, and a plant encyclopedia.  You can customize it for
your own area of the counrty.  I'm not sure of the price because it was a
gift, but it seems to be a good value whatever the cost.  Hope this helps
your search. Pauline