Subject: Any experience w/ Stainless spades?

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 15:40:21 GMT

I live near Dallas, TX.  The soil here is very heavy clay.  Actually I've
never seen anything like it.  You could probably take this stuff straight
and make up ceramics.  Anyway as I dig to amend the 'soil' my spade
gunks up with the stuff.  After about 5-10 shovelfuls I have a layer of
clay 1 inch thick on the blade.  Plunging the blade into the ground
at this point is a pain so I  have to stop digging and clean the
blade before I continue.  So I've heard that stainless steel 
spades are a lot less prone to soil sticking to them.

   Does anyone have any experience with the stainless steel tools?
I know that they are expensive but to help prevent this problem and
for good quality I'd probably pay it.  Any good places to order good
ones from?  Phone numbers would be helpful.  The only one I've seen
so far is in a Walter Nicke's catalog for $120(?).  I have two other
catalogs on the way from companies that sell them, don't remember 
the names right now.
-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]