Subject: FAQ: Beans

From: Brian Lo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 09:12:20 -0800

BEANS - GREEN, YELLOW WAX AND ROMANO (ITALIAN)
                                 Phaseolus vulgaris

                 (see also seperate files on FAVA BEAN and LIMA BEANS)

VARIETIES (snap beans require approximately 60-75 days to harvest, depending
on season, planting date and variety).

      Processing:  Consult processors.   Green-podded varieties commonly grown
are:
      Western Oregon:  OSU 91-G (the primary variety), others are OSU l604,
and the Italian bean varieties Romano FM 14, Roma II.  Small-sieve green
beans: Minuette, Dandy, Tesseo, 76-110.  Yellow-podded:  Goldie, Goldrush,
Sunrae.
      Eastern Oregon; green podded:  Wondergreen and Apollo both are curly top
resistant (only use curly top resistant varieties east of the Cascades).

      Fresh market, Western Oregon, Bush types for hand picking:  Oregon
Trail, Tendergreen, Contender; OSU 91-G (for machine harvest or hand picking). 
Small-sieve (French types):  Minuette, 76-110, Dandy, Tesseo (the latter two
have lighter green pods).  Italian type:  Roma II.  Pole types:  Kentucky Blue
and FM-1K (Blue Lake types), Cascade Giant (Oregon Giant type, except it is
round-podded instead of flat-podded).  Eastern Oregon, bush types:  Wonder-
green and Apollo, both are curly top resistant.  Bush yellow pod:  Puregold,
Sunrae.  Bush Romano types: RomaII, Romano FM 14.  Bush yellow Romano:  Wax
Romano 264

SEED COMPANIES

Abbott & Cobb Inc. POB F307, Feasterville, PA 19047
Asgrow Seed Company, POB 5038, Salinas CA 93915
Crookham Co. Caldwell, ID 83606
Ferry-Morse Seed Co. POB 4938, 555 Codoni Ave. Modesto, CA 95352
Harris Moran Seed Co. 3670 Buffalo Rd. Rochester, NY 14624
Johnny's Select Seeds, Foss Hill Road, Albion, Maine 04910
Rogers NK Seed Co. POB 4272 Boise, ID 83711
Sunseeds, 2320 Technology Pkwy. Hollister, CA 95023
W. Osborne Seed Co. Int'l. 1679 Highway 99 South, Mount Vernon, WA 98273 
Territorial Seed Co.  POB 27, Lorane, OR 97451
Zenner Bros. Seed Co., Inc.  1311 S.E. Gideon St. Portland, OR 97202

SOILS

      Beans do best on well-drained silt loam soils.  Sandy loams are satis-
factory but require more frequent irrigation.  Avoid soils that crust badly
and those with high salt content.  Beans produce best on soils which are
neutral or slightly acidic.  Lime should be applied if pH levels are below
5.8.  Follow soil test recommendations.

      Rotate beans with grains or other crops to reduce damage from soil-
borne diseases.  Crop residues of lettuce, carrots, cabbage, parsnips, and
cucurbits may harbor white mold sclerotia.   

SEED TREATMENT
     
      Use fungicide and insecticide treated seed.  Processors may have reco-
mmendations specific to their needs.  Consult with individual companies.  

SOIL TEMPERATURE

      Good germination is obtained at soil temperatures of 60 F to 84 F. Seed
rot is a serious problem at lower temperatures, and seedling injury from soil
incorporated herbicides may be increased due to longer exposure 
times for slow germination.

SEEDING AND SPACING

      In western Oregon, green beans are planted from about the end of April
to the end of June.  Planting of wax beans and Romano beans starts a week
later and ends a week earlier.

      In eastern Oregon, beans are planted from about the first of May to
about mid June.  The small number of acres grown in eastern Oregon, allows
planting to be limited to the optimum period.

      Green and wax beans number approximately 100-125 per ounce.  Always
handle bean seed with care.  Rough handling lowers the percentage of germi-
nation and increases numbers of crippled seedlings.

      Seed 6 to l0 seeds per foot of row l8 to 30 inches apart or as required
to fit available cultivating, spraying and harvesting equipment.  Although
close spacings have been thought to increase probability of infections from
gray and white mold, experience with close row spacings and high plant
populations since the 1970's suggest that this might not be the case, espe-
cially when close spacings are coupled with increasing the distance between
plants in the row, and the availablity of effective fungicides. 

      Reducing the distance between rows AND increasing the distance between
plants, increases the number of pods (yield) per acre and reduces the number
of beans per plant.  This results in pods being born closer to the stem and
higher in the plant canopy and plants being more upright. These factors tend
to compensate for the reduced air drainage resulting from closer rows, and may
result in such plantings being no more susceptible (but probably no more
resistant) to gray and white mold than conventionally spaced beans under
normal conditions.

      Aim for a final plant stand of l20,000-l75,000 (depending on between row
spacing) plants per acre.  This is usually 65 to 130 lb./acre of seed depend-
ing upon seed size and germination percentage.  Use the high seeding rates
with reduced spacing between rows.  This allows increased distance between
plants in the row (5 plants per foot at 15 inch spacing between rows equals 10
plants per foot at 30 inches between rows).  Appropriate spacings between rows
at the higher plant populations would be 12-20 inches.   Spacings under 12
inches between rows are difficult to accomplish with current planters.

      Romano types should be planted at lower populations of 90,000-100,000 to
reduce problems from mold.

      Plant at a uniform depth and spacing of l - l l/2 inches. Use shallow
depths with early planting dates.  Plant deeper when soil surface is dry. 

      For garden pole beans, seed 4 to 6 seeds per foot of row and space rows
5 l/2 feet apart.

FERTILIZER

      In the production of vegetable crops, good fertilizer usage is only one
of the important management practices, including proper seeding, pest control,
adequate irrigation, and timely harvest.  Because of the influence of soil
type, climatic conditions, and other cultural practices, crop response from
fertilizer may not always be accurately predicted.  Soil test results, field
experience, and knowledge of specific crop requirements help determine the
nutrients needed and the rate of application.  

      Fertilizer applications for beans should insure adequate levels of all
nutrients.  Optimum fertilization is intended to result in for top quality and
yield, commensurate with maximum returns.  

      Recommended soil sampling procedures should be followed in order to
estimate fertilizer needs.  The Oregon State University Extension Service
agent in your county can provide you with soil sampling instructions and soil
sample bags and information sheets.  

      Recommendations are based on a row spacing of 30".  With decreased row
spacings fertilizer rates should be increased.  Use the following recommended
guidelines:

For WESTERN OREGON:

                               NITROGEN (N)

      Rates of 50 to 80 lbs of N/A are generally recommended where beans are
grown on fields having a history of heavy fertilization and intensive culture. 
Rates of 80 to 110 lbs of N/A are recommended where forage legumes or heavily
fertilized vegetable crops were not grown the preceding year.  

      N plus potash (K2 O) applications should not exceed 90 lbs./A when
between row spacings are 36 inches, or 108 lbs./acre for 30 inch spacing. 
There is danger of seedling injury from the concentration of salt when
fertilizer in excess of the above rates is banded at planting time, also:  

      *  There is less danger if the row application is split into two bands. 
      *  The danger is aggravated as the band comes closer to the seed.  The
danger is greater with sandy than with finer textured soil.
      *  Immediate irrigation at the first sign of burn should reduce further
injury.  
      *  There is more possibility of damage to seedlings on acid soils where
the pH is below 5.5.

                              PHOSPHORUS (P)

      Phosphorus fertilizer should be banded at planting for vigorous early
seedling growth.  Bands should be located 2 to 3 inches to the side and 2 to 3
inches below the seed.  

      Response is greatest from bands properly placed at 2 x 2 inches.  

          If the OSU soil test             Apply this amount of 
          for P reads (ppm):            phosphate (P2 O5) lb/A:

                     0 - 15                  120 - 150
                    15 - 60                   90 - 120
                     Over 60                   60 - 90

                               POTASSIUM (K)

      Potassium should be applied before planting or banded at planting time. 
Amounts above 60 lbs K2 O per acre should be broadcast and worked into the
seed bed.  

      See statements on fertilizer banding under "NITROGEN."

               If the OSU soil test    Apply this amount of
               for K reads (ppm):      potassium(K2 O) (lb/A)

                     0 - 75                  90 - 120
                    75 - 150                 60 - 90
                   150 - 200                 40 - 60
                    Over 200                   None

      In Western Oregon, avoid using chloride forms of potassium for that
which maybe put in the band.  There is some research evidence that indicates
that these forms may increase manganese solubility and cause manganese
toxicity.

                                SULFUR (S)

      Include 20-30 lbs/A of S in the fertilizer program for bush beans.  S is
sometimes contained in fertilizers used to supply other nutrients such as N,
P, and K, but may not be present in sufficient quantity.  

      Plants absorb S in the form of sulfate.  Fertilizer materials supply S
in the form of sulfate and elemental S.  

      Elemental S must convert to sulfate in the soil before the S becomes
available to plants.  The conversion of elemental S to sulfate is usually
rapid for fine ground (less than 40 mesh) material in warm moist soil.  

      S in the sulfate form can be applied at planting time.  Some S fertili-
zer materials such as elemental S and ammonium sulfate have an acidifying
effect on soil.  

      The S requirements of Bush beans can be provided by:
      1.  The application of 20-30 lbs S/A in the form of sulfate at or prior
to seeding.  
      2.  Applying 30-40 lbs S/A as fine ground (finer than 40 mesh) elemental
S the preceding year.  
      3.  Applying coarser ground elemental S at higher rates and less fre-
quently.  

                              MAGNESIUM (Mg)

      When the soil test value is below 1.5 meq Mg/100g of soil or when cal-
cium (Ca) is ten times more than the Mg, apply 10 to 15 lb Mg/A banded at
planting.  If deficiency symptoms appear, spray with 10 lbs Epsom salts in 100
gals of water/A.  

      Mg can also be supplied in dolomite, which is a liming material and
reduces soil acidity to about the same degree as ground limestone.  Dolomite
should be mixed into the seed bed several weeks in advance of seeding.  

                                 BORON (B)

      Responses of bush beans to B applications have not been observed in
experiments on growers' fields in western Oregon.  

      Fields which have received recent heavy B applications should be soil
tested for B.  If the soil test indicates 2.0 ppm B or above, there is danger
of injury to beans.  

                                 ZINC (Zn)

      The application of Zn has increased the yields of bush beans in the
Stayton area especially on the gravelly, dark colored soils.  

            If the OSU soil test             Apply this amount
            for Zn reads (ppm):                 of Zn (lb/A):
 
             Less than 1                 3-4 banded or10 broadcast
               Over 1                              None

      When the soil test is below 1 ppm Zn, a response to Zn is expected on
all soils.  
      When the soil test is between 1 and 1 1/2 ppm Zn, a response to Zn is
expected on most soils in the Stayton area.  

      Where Zn is required, either 10 lb/A of Zn should be broadcast and
worked into the soil prior to planting or 3 to 4 lbs/A of Zn should be banded
with the fertilizer at planting time.  
    
      A broadcast application of 10 lb Zn/A should supply Zn needs for 2 or 3
years.  
                                   LIME

      Lime applications should be made when the soil pH is 5.8 or below, or
when calcium (Ca) levels are below 5 meq Ca/100g of soil.  

      Possible seedling injury from the band application of fertilizer is less
when the soil pH is 5.5 or above.  Some Willamette Valley experiments with
beans have shown decreased uptake of phosphorus from band applications of
phosphorus when the pH approaches 5.0.  

             If the OSU SMP Buffer          Apply this amount
             test for lime reads:             of lime (T/A):

                     Below 5.2                  4 - 5
                     5.2 - 5.6                  3 - 4
                     5.6 - 5.9                  2 - 3
                     5.9 - 6.2                  1 - 2
                      Over 6.2                     0

      The liming rate is based on 100-score lime.  Lime should be mixed into
the seed bed at least several weeks before seeding.  A lime application is
effective over several years.  

      Do not apply lime when the soil pH is above 6.0.  Yields were reduced in
Willamette Valley experiments when lime raised the soil pH to 6.5.  
      Phosphorus, K, Mg, Zn, B, and lime recommendations are based on soil
test values from the Soil Testing Laboratory, OSU, Corvallis, Oregon.  

      This guide is largely based on the results of experiments conducted by
Horticulture and Soils Department researchers of the OSU Agricultural Expe-
riment Station, and is quoted from OSU Fertilizer Guide FG28.

EASTERN OREGON, east of the Cascades:

                                             lbs. per acre
    
                   Nitrogen (N):                 50-80
                   Phosphorus (P2 O5):           50-100
                   Potassium (K2 O):             up to 50
                   Sulfur (S):                   20-30

Garden Pole beans  

      At time of seeding, band 60 - 80 lb./acre of nitrogen and ll0 to l50
lb./acre of phosphate (P205) 2 inches to the side of the seed and 3 to 4
inches deep.  Broadcast and disc in up to 90 lb./acre potash (K20) before
planting.  Just prior to blossoming, side-dress with 35 lb./acre of nitrogen.

IRRIGATION

      Irrigation is not recommended until about 2 weeks after planting.  Too
much water at seeding slows growth and may increase root rots.  

      During the rest of the season, keep moisture levels in the top foot of
soil at or above 50% of available water.  To avoid any water stress the two
critical times during bean development are during bloom and pod set.  It is
advisable to irrigate in the early morning hours so the plants may dry off
before the night.  A total of 10" - 16" may be needed in western Oregon
depending on location planting date, seasonal variation and variety.

      Approximate summer irrigation needs for the Hermiston area have been
found to be: 3.5 inches in May, 5.0 in June, 7.5 in July, and 7.0 in August.

      Soil type does not affect the amount of total water needed, but does
dictate frequency of water application.  Lighter soils need more frequent
water applications, but less water applied per application.

HARVESTING AND HANDLING

      In western Oregon, green bean harvest is generally from about July 10 to
the end of September.  Wax bean harvest is from about mid July to mid Septem-
ber, and Romano beans from the first of August to mid September. The prime
harvest season for the Willamette valley is between July 25 and the end of
August for green and wax beans, and between August 1 and 25 for Romano beans.

      In eastern Oregon, grean beans are harvested from about late July to mid
September.

      Yields of snap beans for processing average approximately 6 tons/acre,
with good yields at 8 tons/acre, in the Willamette Valley.  Fresh market bean
yields are reported as averaging approximately 35 cwt./acre with good yields
at 100 cwt./acre.  

      All beans for processing and some fresh market beans are machine har-
vested.  Bean fields intended for processing are picked with self-propelled
machines that pick 3 or more rows at a time.  Fresh market beans are either
picked by hand or with tractor-pulled single, or self-propelled multiple row
machines.  When fresh market beans are machine harvested, they are further
hand-sorted and graded before packaging for market.

      Harvest is started when a graded sample contains about 50% No. 4 sieve
size and under.  The actual sieve size percentage will vary depending on
processor needs and the bean variety.  Protect harvested beans from heat and
sun and deliver to processor or buyer as soon as possible.

STORAGE (quoted from USDA Ag. Handbook #66):

      Store at 40 to 45 F. and relative humidity of 95%.  Green beans should
be stored for only a short period (7 to 10 days) between 40 and 45 F.  Even
these temperatures cause some chilling injury but are best for short storage. 
Snap beans are cold sensitive and may be severely chill-injured in a few days
at temperatures of 38 F. and below.  Chilled beans develop surface pitting and
russeting a day or two after removal to warm temperatures for marketing. 
Tendergreen beans can be held for about 2 days at  31 F., 4 days at 35 F., or
12 days at 42 F. before chilling injury is induced.  Cultivars differ signifi-
cantly in their sensitivity to chilling.

      Russeting is aggravated by free moisture and is especially noticeable in
the centers of containers, where condensed moisture remains.  Beans should not
be top iced if they are to be held at higher temperatures later.  Snap beans
are highly perishable and should be cooled rapidly after harvest, preferably
to 40-43 F.  They can be effectively vacuum cooled or forced-air cooled, but
hydrocooling is preferable not only because cold water cools rapidly but also
because the free moisture helps prevent wilting or shriveling.  Snap beans
lose moisture rapidly if not properly protected by packaging or by a relative
humidity of 95% or above.  When the relative humidity approaches saturation,
as in consumer packages, temperatures above 45 F. must be avoided or decay is
likely to be serious within a few days.

      Beans can be held about 10 days at 40 F. if they are utilized immedia-
tely after storage, as for processing.  Longer storage or holding at tempe-
ratures above 45 F. will hasten yellowing and the development of fiber.

      Containers of beans should be stacked to allow abundant air circulation. 
If containers are packed close together, the temperature may rise because of
the heat of respiration, and the beans will deteriorate rapidly.  When beans
are stored in large bins or pallet boxes, provision should be made for rapid
cooling.  Beans stored too long or at too high a storage temperature are
subject to various decays, including water soft rot (Sclerotinia spp.),
cottony leak (Pythium butleri), gray mold (Botrytis cinerea), and rhizopus rot
(Rhizopus spp.).

      Beans principally benefit from use of a controlled atmosphere (2 to 3%
oxygen and 5 to 10% carbon dioxide) because it retards yellowing.  Also, the
discoloration of broken ends of beans awaiting processing can be controlled by
holding them in 20 or 30 % carbon dioxide for 24 hours.

PACKAGING

      Beans are commonly packaged in 26-3l lb. bushel wirebound crates and
bushel hampers; or 20-30 lb. cartons.

ENTERPRISE BUDGET

      The following summary information has been taken from the bush bean
enterprise budget for bush beans for processing, developed in 1993 by Bob
Lisec, Dan Mc Grath, and Tim Cross, Oregon State University Extension Service: 
The bush bean budget estimates total variable costs of $568.81 per acre and
total fixed costs of $238.54 per acre, resulting in $807.35 per acre for total
cost of production.  The break even price needed to cover variable costs is
$87.50 per ton, and the break even price needed to cover all costs is $124.20
per ton, based on a normal yield of 6.5 tons net per acre.  For the complete
budget and assumptions used contact one of the above-mentioned authors.

                             PEST CONTROL FOR BEANS

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW, TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST PEST
CONTROL HANDBOOKS, ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY, AND ARE REVISED ONLY ANNUALLY. 
BECAUSE OF CONSTANTLY CHANGING LABELS, LAWS, AND REGULATIONS, OREGON STATE
UNIVERSITY CAN ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF USE OF CHEMICALS
SUGGESTED HERE.  IN ALL CASES, READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND PRECAUTION-
ARY STATEMENTS ON THE SPECIFIC PESTICIDE PRODUCT LABEL.

                          USE PESTICIDES SAFELY!

Wear protective clothing and safety devices as recommended on the label. 
Bathe or shower after each use.

Read the pesticide label--even if you've used the pesticide before.  Follow
closely the instructions on the label (and any other directions you have).

Be cautious when you apply pesticides.  Know your legal responsibility as a
pesticide applicator.  You may be liable for injury or damage resulting from
pesticide use.

WEED CONTROL

     Cultivate as often as necessary when weeds are small.  Proper cultivation
on field selection and rotations can reduce or eliminate the need for chemical
weed control.  

ACTIVATED CHARCOAL SEED PROTECTION

Several Pacific Northwest grass seed crops are protected from herbicide injury
with the use of activated charcoal which adsorbs and detoxifies or inactivates
the herbicide.  In vegetables, activated charcoal can be mixed with horticul-
tural grade vermiculite and applied as an anticrustant/seed protectant.  The
activated charcoal vermiculite mix is placed within the seed furrow using a
positive feed device.  Herbicides must not leach excessively or move readily
from crop roots into the plant.  Although crop safety can be enhanced, weeds
emerging from within the treated area also are protected.

Another use for activated charcoal involves seed protection from herbicides
that leach into the seed zone from excessive rainfall. Seed coatings of
activated charcoal would reduce the active concentration of herbicide at or
very near the seed during the germination process.

Activated charcoal/vermiculite mix:  Thoroughly mix 1 lb activated char-
                  coal/ft3 of number 2 or 3 grade horticultural vermiculite.  
                  If severe dustiness is a problem, add a small amount of
                  water.  Apply 1 ft3  of mixture/600 ft. of seeded row or
                  approximately 15 cu.ft/A.  Fill the seed furrow using a
                  positive feed applicator and press with a press wheel.

     THE WEED TREATMENTS LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST
WEED CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS
FOR CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES, AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

WEED MANAGEMENT GENERAL STRATEGY

According to USDA standards and processor quality, harvested beans must be
free of nightshade berries, Canada thistle buds, pigweed stems, or mustard
pods.  Crop rotations, close row spacings, early season weed control, and
cultivation (except in rocky or clod soils) are combined with herbicides to
minimize weed competition and contamination of product.
___________________________________________________________________________

STALE SEEDBEDS FOR VEGETABLE PRODUCTION

Stale seedbeds are sometimes used for vegetable production when other selec-
tive weed control practices are limited or unavailable.  The concept depends
on controlling the first flush of emerged weeds before planting or emergence
of the crop followed by minimal soil disturbance which reduces subsequent weed
flushes during establishment of the crop.  Following establishment, other weed
control practices including cultivation or use of other herbicides can be
used.

1.    Prepare a seedbed, preferably 2 to 3 weeks before planting to achieve    
      maximum weed seed germination near the soil surface.  Soil temperatures  
      and moisture must be reasonable or results will be erratic.

2.    Plant the crop with minimum soil disturbance.  Otherwise, new weed seed  
      will be exposed to favorable germinating conditions.

3.    Just before or after planting but before crop emergence, treat the    
      field by flaming or with herbicide to kill all germinated or exposed    
      weeds.

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flaming                                      

      Use liquid propane or similar fuel-burning equipment to quickly sear the
      weeds, but not consume them with flame. 
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
paraquat                              0.625 to 0.94 lb ai/A     
  Gramoxone Extra     
  (see remarks)                                

      Restricted-use pesticide.  Do not ingest or inhale spray mist.  Wearing
      protective face shields, respirators, and clothing is advised.  Apply    
      during or after planting, but before crop emergence.  Add a nonionic
      surfactant or crop oil concentrate according to label specifications,
      taking care to  avoid anionic formulations that react in the tank to
      form insoluble precipitates.  Exposed crop plants will be killed. Do not
      apply preplant or pre-emergence to soils lacking clay minerals, such as
      peat, muck, pure sand, or artificial planting media.  (Acts as contact;
      absorbs energy produced by photosynthesis forming peroxides that disrupt
      living cells.) 
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------
glyphosate              Consult Labels            
  Roundup                                      
  Roundup RT                                   
  (E. Washington     
  and Idaho only)                              
  or Honcho +                                  
  nonionic surfactant                          

      Apply to actively growing weeds either preplant in conjunction with site
      preparation or preemergence crops listed on the label.  Consult label
      for specific rates, times of application, and perennial species control-
      led.  Generally 1 to 1.5 lbs ai/A should be used for annual weeds, while
      perennial weeds require higher rates.  Addition of a surfactant or
      ammonium sulfate improves activity when weeds are stressed.  Do not
      apply more than 8 lbs. ai/A per year, nor plant non-labeled crops within 
      12 months following application. (Inhibits production of 3 amino acids
      and protein synthesis.)
______________________________________________________________________________

PREPLANT INCORPORATED 

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EPTC                                            3 to 4 lb ai/A             
  Eptam                                         
  (not adzuki, cowpeas,
  lima beans and flat                                
  podded beans, except Romano)                                

      Apply preplant to soil dry enough for thorough mixing and incorporate 2
      to 3 inches deep immediately by cross-disking, rototilling, or sub-
      surface application beans can be planted immediately.  Suppresses growth
      of yellow nutsedge, but does not kill tubers.  In the Willamette Valley,
      experience suggests that rates may be reduced to as low as 1.5 lb ai/A
      when mixed with trifluralin.  (Inhibits shoot growth). 
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
trifluralin                     0.5 to 0.75 lb ai/A           
  Treflan                                       

      Apply preplant and incorporate 2 to 3 inches deep within 24 hours or
      less by cross-disking or using a PTO rotary tiller.  Spray only once and
      avoid overlapping.  Erratic plant growth, enlarged stems below the soil
      surface, and poor root growth have been observed when maximum labeled   
      rates were applied uniformly in fields with slight variations in soil
      type.  Consult label for planting sensitive crops within 12 to 20
      months.  (Inhibits mitosis in both shoots and roots).       
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
pendimethalin                                        0.5 to 1.5 lb ai/A        
  Prowl                                         
  
      Label describes preplant incorporation, but crop injury and yield losses
      have been observed under cool, wet conditions.  Adjust rates depending
      on soil texture and organic matter.  Do not feed bean vines or graze
      livestock in treated fields.  Weak on mustard and composite (sunflower)
      weeds.  (Inhibits mitosis in both shoots and roots.) 
______________________________________________________________________________

PREEMERGENCE SOIL-APPLIED (PRE TO CROP AND WEEDS) 
 
Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
metolachlor                     1.5 to 3.0 lb ai/A        
  Dual                                          

      Apply either preplant within 14 days of planting and mechanically
      incorporate in top 2 inches of soil, or apply preemergence behind the
      planter and activate with 1 inch overhead irrigation or rainfall.  May
      delay maturity and/or reduce yield if cold, wet soil conditions occur
      after planting.  Weak on mustard weeds.  Do not graze crop residue or
      feed canning wastes to livestock for 6 weeks following treatment.
      (Inhibits roots and shoots.)                         
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
DCPA                                4.5 to 10.5 lb ai/A   
  Dacthal                                       

      Often performs erratically in western Oregon.  Elsewhere, apply immedi-
      ately after planting and activate with ample irrigation or rainfall. Do
      not graze treated areas or feed plant parts to livestock.  Consult label
      for replanting sensitive crops within 8 months.  See Dry Bean section  
      for additional information.  (Inhibits mitosis).          
______________________________________________________________________________

POSTEMERGENCE 

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bentazon                              0.75 to 1.0 lb ai/A      
  Basagran                                      

      Apply to small, rapidly growing annual broadleaf weeds after first
      trifoliate bean leaf is fully expanded.  Temperatures below 75 F day or
      55 F night and require newly emerged weeds and may provide only partial
      control or suppression.  Temporary yellowing, bronzing, speckling, or
      burning of leaves may occur, but beans usually continue growth with
      minimal delays in pod maturity.  Addition of crop oil concentrate may
      increase injury and reduce or delay yields.  Do not tank-mix with other
      pesticides, apply within 30 days of snap bean harvest, not exceed 4
      pints/A per season.  (Inhibits photosynthesis.)
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
sethoxydim                    0.19 to 0.28 lb. ai/A
 Poast             

      Identify susceptible grasses and apply at optimum growth stage listed on
      the label.  Add 2 pints/A nonphytotoxic crop oil concentrate to improve
      leaf absorption. Erratic control often occurs when grasses are stunted
      or stressed from drought, high temperatures, or low fertility.  Resis-
      tant grasses include annual bluegrass and all fine fescues, whereas
      quackgrass can be suppressed.  Do not apply within 15 days of harvest,
      nor exceed 4 pints/A per year.  (Inhibits fatty acid production, cell
      membranes, and new growth.) 
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

INSECT CONTROL

     Proper rotations and field selection can minimize problems with insects. 

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST INSECT
CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS FOR
CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

Insect and Description                 Control, Active Ingredients Per Acre
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aphids, including                           malathion - 1.0 to 1.5 lb      
Bean aphid                                          
                                            diazinon - 0.5 to 0.75 lb 
Aphis fabae                                         
                                            Phorate or Thimet 20G -      
Black plant louse that colonizes             0.9 to 1.4 oz ai/1000 row ft.
leaves and pods. May occur                            
early in season, but most com-              Phosdrin - 0.25 lb           
monly found later in summer.                          
                                            Di-Syston - 1 to 2 lb        
                                              Do not feed vines.         
            
                                            dimethoate - 0.25 to 0.5 lb   
 
                                            endosulfan - 0.5 to 1 lb      
                                                                          
                                            Dibrom - 1 lb     
                                            Do not feed treated vines.
                                            By-product waste at processing
                                            plants may be fed to livestock.    
       
                                            Orthene - 0.5 to 1.0 lb
                                            Do not feed treated vines.
                                            By-product waste at processing
                                            plants may be fed to livestock.

                                            Pyrellin - 1 to 2 pt
                                            Pyrethrins and Rotenone

                                            Diatect - 1 to 3 lb formulation.
                                            Diatomaceous earth and 
                                            Pyrethrins
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armyworms and                               carbaryl - 1.5 lb
Cutworms                                                                
                                            Lannate - 0.45 to 0.9 lb
Full-grown larva 1 inch long,                                           
greenish with a broad, dark,                Orthene - 0.75 to 1.0 lb     
lateral band, edged with a nar-             Do not feed treated vines.
row white line.  Larvae tend to             By-produce waste at processing
defoliate pigweed and later mi-             plants may be fed to livestock.
grate to vegetable crops.
                                            Bacillus thuringiensis -
                                            1 to 2 qt Armyworms only.          
                                            Add an appropriate spreader- 
                                            sticker to enhance control.  
                                            Most effective on small      
                                            larvae.                      
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garden symphylan                            Dyfonate - 2 lb 
Scutigerella immaculata                     
                                            Mocap - 2 to 3 lb    
Small, white, centipede-like                                        
animals active in soil.                     Telone II - preplant    
                                                                    
                                            Telone C-17 - preplant  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grasshoppers                                dimethoate - 0.25 to 0.5 lb  
                                                                         
                                            Phosdrin - 0.5 lb            
                                                                         
                                            malathion - 1 lb             
                                                                         
                                            carbaryl - 0.5 to 1.5 lb     
                                                                         
                                            Orthene - 0.25 to 0.5 lb     
                                            By-produce waste at processing
                                            plants may be fed to livestock.

                                            Nosema locustae - use as 
                                            manufacturer directs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lygus bugs                                  dimethoate - 0.5 lb           
Lygus spp.                                                        
                                            Phorate 0.9 to 1.4 oz ai/1000
Adults 3/16 inch long with a                  row ft.
light yellow "V" on backs. Feed                
on pods and beans. Can cause                Lannate - 0.45 to 0.9 lb     
blemishes on developed bean                                               
seed. Damage is only of con-                carbaryl - 1.0 to 1.5 lb          
cern to fresh market beans.                                               
Blanching of processed beans                Orthene - 0.5 to 1.0 lb       
removes discoloration.                      Do not feed treated vines.
                                            By-product waste at processing
                                            plants may be fed to livestock.

                                            Malathion - 1.25 lb   
                                                                         
                                            Dibrom - 1 lb     
                                            Do not feed treated vines.
                                            By-product waste at processing
                                            plants may be fed to livestock.
                                                                        
                                            Pyrellin - 1 to 2 pt
                                            Pyrethrins and rotenone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nitidulid beetle                            Most insecticides used    
Meligethes nigrescens                       for aphids or other
                                            pests of beans reduce  
Small, black beetle that infests            nitidulid populations. 
blossoms from mid-July to mid-
August. May cause blossom drop, 
but control is unnecessary unless 
population is very high.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pea leaf weevil                             No products currently 
Sitona lineata                              registered for this use.

Adults small, grayish-brown weevils 
about 1/6 inch long.  May appear on 
beans in late summer in Willamette Valley.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seedcorn maggot                             Phorate 0.9 to 1.4 oz
Delia platura                                ai/1000 row ft.
                                                                           
White larvae of fly, similar to             Dyfonate 4E, 10G - 2 to 4 lb   
the cabbage maggot. Attack
germinating seeds and may de-               Lorsban 50-SC - 1 oz ai/100 lb
stroy planting. Damage most                                 of seed.
serious during cool, wet                    
weather.                                    diazinon 50W - 0.25 oz ai/bu

                                            Germate Plus - 1.8 oz. of
                                             formulation/50 lb. seed.  
                                             Use planter box treatment. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slugs                                       metaldehyde baits.  Do not 
Gray garden slug                            contaminate edible plant parts.
Agriolimax reticulatus                      Use as needed, but not more often
                                            than once per week.  See supple-
Damage mostly to germinating                ment, Slug Control.
seeds and seedling plants.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spider mites                                Dicofol or Kelthane - 
Tetranychus spp.                             0.33 to 1.5 lb

Tiny spiderlike animals located             Comite - 1.6 to 2.4 lb
on undersides of foliage. Feed                             
on plant juices and cause yel-              Dibrom - 1 lb                
lowing and browning of leaves.              At least 2 applications at 7 to    
Not usually a problem in Western            10 days intervals necessary.  Do
Oregon.                                     not feed vines.  By-product waste
                                            at processing plants may be fed
                                            to livestock.

                                            Di-Syston - 1 to 2 lb 
                                                                        
                                            Metasystox-R - 0.5 lb       
                                            
                                            dimethoate - 0.5 lb         
                                                                        
                                            Phosdrin - 0.5 lb                  
          
                                            Phorate 20G - 0.9 to 1.4
                                              oz ai/1000 row ft.    
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stick bugs                                  carbaryl - 2 lb
Different species                                         
                                            endosulfan - 0.5 to 1 lb
Brown or green bugs that feed on 
blossoms and beans with piercing,           Orthene - 0.5 to 1.0 lb
sucking mouthparts. Damage similar          Do not feed treated vines.
to that caused by lygus bugs.               By-product waste at processing
                                            plants may be fed to livestock.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cucumber beetles                           carbaryl - 1 to 1.5 lb            
including                                                             
Diabrotica                                 endosulfan - 0.5 to 1.0 lb 
undecimpunctata                                                       
                                           Lannate - 0.23 to 0.45 lb 
Yellowish-green, black-spot-                                          
ted beetle common to western               diazinon - 0.375  
Oregon. Adults attack and feed                                        
on seedlings, foliage, and pods.           malathion - 1.75 lb        

                                           methoxychlor - 1 to 3 lb   

                                           Pyrellin - 1.5 to 2 pt
                                            Pyrethrins and rotenone

                                           Diatect - 1 to 3 lb
                                            Diatomaceous earth and
                                            pyrethrins
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireworms                                  diazinon - 3 to 4 lb
Ctenicera and                                                      
Limonius spp.                              Dyfonate 4EC - 4 lb     
                                                                   
Brown, jointed larvae of click             Telone II - preplant    
beetles. Kill young plants,     
weaken older ones.                         Telone C-17 - preplant

                                           Germate Plus - 1.8 oz. of
                                           formulation/50 lb. seed.  
                                           Use planter box treatment.
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

DISEASE CONTROL

     Proper rotations, field selection, sanitation, spacings, fertilizer and
irrigation practices can reduce the risk of many diseases.  Fields can be
tested for presence of harmful nematodes.  Using seed from reputable seed
sources reduces risk from seed born diseases.

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST DISEASE
CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS FOR
CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

BEAN COMMON MOSAIC AND BEAN YELLOW MOSAIC

Cause:  Viruses carried by aphids--fairly widespread in their distribution. 
Bean Common Mosaic Virus (BCMV) (Bean Virus 1) is seed transmitted.  Bean
Yellow Mosaic Virus (BYMV) (Bean Virus 2) is not transmitted.  

Symptoms:  BCMV infection causes systemic mosaic symptoms consisting of a
green to bluish-green mottled or mosaic pattern on leaves which usually
exhibit a downward curling or cupping and general malformation. The mosaic
symptom is often associated with and follows the network of leaf veins which
become slightly darker than the interveinal area.  Another symptom of infec-
tion is venial necrosis or `road mapping' of leaves.  Systemic necrosis (black
root reaction), characterized by black vascular tissue in the stems and pods,
and death of plant, may occur in some varieties with a specific type of
resistance gene to BCMV.  These varieties are actually resistant to all
strains of BCMV under most conditions, but under high temperatures, infections
result in the black root reaction and death of the plant.  Plants arising from
BCMV-infected seed or plants infected very early in the season are dwarfed and
spindly, and the crop is often reduced.  BYMV typically causes a yellow and
green mottling, but different strains may also cause venial necrosis.  Leaves
are often brittle, glass, cupped downward, and may be malformed.  Both viruses
cause deformed pods, and the pod surfaces may be rough and shiny.

Control:  The only satisfactory control for bean common mosaic and some of its
variant strains is to use resistant varieties such as `Oregon 91G', `Oregon
54', `Roma II', `BB 110', and `Goldrush'.  Few good bean varieties have been
developed that are resistant to bean yellow mosaic.  Avoid planting beans near
sweet cover, crimson clover, red clover, or gladioli as bean yellow mosaic may
be transmitted from these plants to the beans.  Most varieties of commercial
dry edible and many snap bean varieties are resistant to one or more strains
of BCMV, but are susceptible to other stains which are newly reported.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CURLY TOP

Cause:  A virus spread by the beet leafhopper.  Other hosts include sugar
beets, watermelon, tomatoes, and cucurbits.  The disease is not uncommon in
the Columbia Basin, Idaho and central Oregon.  The virus overwinters in wild
perennial or winter annual host plants and is not seedborne.

Symptoms:  On young plants the trifoliate leaves develop a puckering and
downward curl.  This is followed by general chlorosis and death.  When older
plants are affected, they become chlorotic, dwarfed, bunchy, and the pods are
stunted.  All leaves become thicker than normal and, being very brittle, break
off easily at the stem.  Infected plants yield few or no pods. 

Control:  Use resistant varieties.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HALO BLIGHT

Cause:  Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicola (Pseudomonas phaseolicola, a
bacterium.  The bacteria may overwinter in the seed or infected plant parts
(trash) and is spread by rain, irrigation water, tools, humans, or equipment. 
Most lima beans are susceptible to the disease, but `OSU 91G' has moderate
resistance.  `Blue Lake' pole beans are not resistant but seldom become
naturally infected when field grown.

Symptoms:  

1.  The first symptom of the disease on the leaves is water soaked spots
followed by irregular brown spots on undersides of leaves.  Later the spot
shows through the upper surface and a yellow halo usually occurs around it.  A
bacterial sheen over the surface of the spot is often present.  Defoliation
occurs in severe infections.  Leaves on systemically infected plants may show
yellowing (chlorosis) and malformation without the appearance of much external
infection.  Systemically infected plants are often stunted.

2.  On the pods, sunken water-soaked spots appear, often with a bacterial ooze
on the surface.  The spots extend through the pod.  Later the spots become dry
and brown.

3.  On the stems, reddish waxy cankers develop, often girdling and killing the
plants.  

4.  On the seeds, sunken brown spots cause the seed to shrivel.

Control:

1.  Plant disease-free seed.  This is very important since all outbreaks of
the disease in the Pacific Northwest have resulted from the planting of
infected seed.

2.  Sprays with 1-3 lb/A of Kocide 101, or 1.5 to 4.0 pt/a Champ flowable at
7-10 day intervals will slow the spread of the disease if it is present in the
field.

3.  Use a 2- to 3-year crop rotation.  The bacteria overwinter in the undecom-
posed plant debris from the previous year's crop, and the longer beans are
kept out of a field that previously produced a diseased crop, the less chance
there is of contaminating the newly planted crop.

4.  Plow under plant debris as soon as possible after harvest to allow plenty
of time for the debris to disintegrate during the winter.  The usual practice
of plowing under the trash and then sowing a cover crop is good, except for
the trash that is along the edges of fields, along fence lines, etc.  Careful
flaming of these areas is suggested.

5.  If you cannot obtain disease-free seed, delay planting if possible.  The
frequent wet weather that occurs in the Willamette Valley in June is conducive
to the development and spread of halo blight.  Possible severe outbreaks of
halo blight will depend on whether or not the June weather is wet or dry. 
Planting late to miss the wet periods will reduce the inci-dence and spread of
halo blight.

6.  Avoid overirrigation with sprinklers.

7.  Do not work in infested fields that are wet with rain or irrigation water.

8.  Idaho law prohibits the importation of infected seed for increase.

Residues:  Copper exempt.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SEED ROT AND SEEDLING BLIGHT

Cause:  Pythium and Rhizoctonia sp. (fungi).  Both seed rot and seedling
blight result from fungi that persist indefinitely in the soil.

Symptoms:  Seed decay or a rotting and damping off may occur in the young
seedling plants.  This is followed by wilting and death.

Control:  Seed treatment, or where Pythium sp. are a problem, apply Ridomil 2E
at the rate of 1 pt./13,000 lin ft of row in furrow or in a 7-inch band at the
time of planting or treat seed with 2 oz Apron 25 W/cwt of seed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEED TREATMENT

Apply one of the following chemicals according to label directions:  Apron,
captan, thiram, PCNB, or carboxin.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAN (Snap) -- BROWN SPOT

Cause: A bacterium, Pseudomonas syringae, which has been shown to be
seed-transmissible but is normally not found in seed grown in western states.
The disease is usually more of a problem in lima beans than in snap green
beans.

Symptoms: On the leaves small, round to oval, brownish-red spots appear,
normally more restricted than halo blight lesions. Under most conditions there
is a small amount of water soaking in the leaf, but under highly humid condi-
tions larger amounts of water soaking occur. The lesions normally have a small
indistinct yellowish margin.

On the pods the lesions are small oval spots, brownish red in color, preceded
by small water-soaked spots. The lesions are much more restricted than those
of halo blight. At times the bean pods seem to grow to avoid the spots causing
a zigzag appearance in the bean pods.

Control: This disease has been found only once and is not a serious problem in
Oregon's Willamette Valley but does cause problems in the Midwestern bean pro-
ducing areas. In the Midwest, the organism overwinters on vetch. Only
legume-specific strains of bacterium cause brown spot. Strains of Pseudomonas
syringae that cause diseases of stone fruits and pomaceous plants will not
cause brown spot on beans.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAN (Snap) -- GRAY MOLD

Cause: Botrytis cinerea, a fungus. This fungus lives on organic matter.  Its
spores are present in the air all through the growing season.  Cool,moist
conditions favor development of the disease.

Symptoms: All above-ground portions of the bean plant are attacked.  The
fungus attacks old blossom parts that have fallen or remained on the plant.
The fungus moves from these infected blossom parts into the healthy tissue.  

The symptom of the disease is water-soaked lesions, which later become covered
with gray spore masses. 

Gray mold is known to occur in southern Idaho at trace levels but is not known
to cause any significant losses.

Control:

1.  Gray mold is usually more severe when beans follow beans. Rotate out of
beans for at least 2 years when possible.

2.  Place the bean rows so prevailing winds blow along, rather than across
them. This reduces humidity and makes conditions less favorable for the
infection.  

3.  Proper spacing of the rows and the beans within the rows is important.
Overcrowding increases humidity, which favors infection.  

4.  In cooler areas irrigate heavily prior to bloom and as little as possible
thereafter.  Irrigation has less impact on the disease if plants dry within 12
hours.  This can be regulated by the time of day irrigation is applied. 

Fungicides: Apply Rovral 50 WP at 2.0/A - apply at 1 to 10 percent bloom and
again 5 to 7 days later in at least 40 gal water/A.  See rotation crop
restrictions on label and under residues.

Bravo 720 at 3 pt/a also has a registration.  Bravo does not control gray mold
as well as Rovral but may be only choice if Rovral resistance is a problem. 
Bravo-treated bean waste may not be fed to livestock.

Residues:

Rovral--The following crops may be rotated after harvest: garlic and leafy
vegetables.  The following crops may be rotated the year following treatment:
root crops, cereal grains, soybeans, and tomatoes.  Do not allow foraging for
14 days after last application of Rovral.  Do not feed snap bean hay to
livestock.  Do not feed dry bean hay to livestock until 45 days after last
application.  Do not feed succulent bean hay to livestock.

Bravo 720--Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.  Do not graze treated areas
or feed treated plant parts to livestock.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAN (Snap) -- NECROSIS DISEASE
(Sudden Death)

Cause: Clover yellow vein virus transmitted by the green peach aphid, the pea
aphid, the black bean aphid, and the clover aphid. Two or three subspecies of
Trifolium repens (white clover) are the principal reservoirs of the virus in
western Oregon.  Both clover yellow vein virus and strains of bean yellow
mosaic virus often occur in the same field.

Symptoms: First, the terminal leaf rolls downward and turns brownish in color.
Following terminal death, stem and leaf tissues die from the terminal down-
ward. Within 4 to 7 days the upper part or the entire plant may turn dark
brown and die.

Control: Management practices by the bean grower can substantially reduce this
disease in beans.

1.  Where feasible, eradicate white clover varieties from border or pasture
areas near fields used for bean production. Instead, grow red clover, alsike
clover, other hardy clovers, birdsfoot trefoil, or other agronomically
suitable legume species.

2.  Where white clover eradication is not feasible, select fields for bean
production that are separated from white clover stands by at least 100 meters.
This small degree of isolation will substantially reduce losses caused by the
bean necrosis disease.

3.  When possible, locate bean fields upwind (toward the prevailing summer
breeze) from clover fields or pastures containing clover. This further
minimizes infection due to aphid flights from clover to beans.

4.  Avoid planting beans in fields that contained white clover varieties the
previous year. Surviving or volunteer clover plants, particularly those in
border areas or within bean rows, may serve as a virus reservoir.

5.  Should aphicide application to beans be necessary during June or July for
black bean aphid or other species, spray should also be applied to field
border areas containing numerous white clover plants.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAN (Snap) -- ROOT ROT

Cause: Fusarium sp., fungi. Species of Fusarium live in the soil formany
years. They are spread on infected bean straw and by soil water.

Symptoms: The plants are stunted and the leaves are yellowish and often drop
early. At ground level and below, the main root may show a red dis-coloration
later turning black and decaying. The infection seldom spreads into tissues
above the ground level. Small side roots are killed, and, above them, second-
ary roots are developed which may also become infected and die. These second-
ary roots help maintain the plant and assist in crop development.

Control: Plant in well-drained soil practicing a long rotation with grass or
grain crops intervening for 5 to 6 years. Shallow cultivation may be helpful.
Hilling of vines is helpful because it promotes adventitious root production.

Research in Washington and Oregon has shown that subsoiling to a depth of 18
inches below the drill row just prior to planting increases bean yield under
severe root rot. Root rot is not decreased, but better root formation develops
to offset the disease's effect on the plant. This treatment is especially
effective on heavy soils or in soils which have a "plow pan."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAN (Snap) -- RUST

Cause: Uromyces phaseoli, a fungus.  Rust has been of minor importance for
many years. The disease, when present, is generally widespread in the major
bean-growing area, the Willamette Valley.   

Symptoms: Early (June)--white blisters develop on the upper sides of the
leaves. In 2 to 3 weeks the lower side of the blister turns white and produces
a white "powder," the spores.

Summer (July)--brown powdery spots on both upper and lower leaf surfaces and
petioles. When infection is severe, many leaves are killed and the crop
reduced.
Late summer (August-September)--black powdery spots on both upper and lower
leaf surfaces and petioles. Killing of the leaves and a reduced crop.

Control:

A.  Plant resistant varieties.

B.  Prevent fungus carryover.

C.  Prevent infection in the field.

    1.  Dust with a finely divided sulfur (325 mesh or finer) containing       
        at least 80 percent sulfur. Make the first application as soon         
        as the first lesions or spots appear. Apply the dust at 20 to 40       
        lb/A, depending on size of plants at time of application. Continue     
        dusting at 7-day intervals until blossom time. The early applica-      
        tions of dust are especially important--they should be applied         
        before any rust is noticed. Control of rust by dusting is difficult    
        if the disease becomes established in a planting.

    2.  Chlorothalonil 1.04 to 2.21 lb ai/A. Do not apply within 7 days of     
        harvest.
   
    3.  Several wettable and flowable sulfur formulations have registrations   
        for this disease.

Residue:  Chlorothalonil. Do not graze treated area or feed treated plant
parts to livestock. Tolerance 5 ppm.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAN (Snap) -- SCLEROTINIA DISEASE (White Mold)

Cause: Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, a fungus. This organism lives during winter
as sclerotia, attached to old bean stems or directly in the soil.  
Sclerotia are moved about on plant materials, and farm implements.  Sclerotia
in the top 0.5 inch of soil develop into muchroomlike growths which produce
spores.  These spores most frequently infect blossoms under cool, moist
weather conditions, and the infected blossoms fall on the plant structure,
spreading the disease.  Irrigation practices that keep the plants moist
overnight or keep the soil surface wet for extended periods (e.g., overnight)
are conducive to the development of white mold.

Other host plants include lettuce, dandelion, carrots, parsnips, cabbage,
peas, crucifers, potatoes, and cucurbits.

Symptoms: Young infected plants show water-soaked spots on the leaves,
petioles, and stems.  Older plants develop water-soaked spots and/or white,
creamy growths of the fungus anywhere on stems, petioles, leaves, or pods.
Most infections occur near the ground as a result of fallen, infected blos-
soms.  The fungus may also invade the pith of the main stem and cause most
leaves to turn yellow and to wilt.  Embedded in the external fungus growth are
compact sclerotia that are at first white, later darkening until they become
black.  
Control: (1) Provide adequate aeration between rows and within rows by
increased planting distance. (2) Deep plowing to bury sclerotia is beneficial.
(3) Rotate crops where land permits for at least 2 years out of beans or other
hosts of the fungus.  (4) Varieties that do not produce excessive foliage near
the ground level (open base types) tend to escape early-season infections.

Chemical Control:
Fungicides: In fields with a history of white mold, fungicide should be
applied at 10 to 25 percent bloom (10 to 25 percent of the plants in the field
have at least one open bloom).  A second application of fungicide 7 to 10 days
later is necessary with highly susceptible varieties or under heavy disease
pressure.  

Spray Materials:  Benlate 50 WP 2 lb/A. One application at 10 to 25 percent
bloom usually is sufficient. Under heavy disease pressure, two applications
should be applied, one at 25 percent bloom and one at full bloom.  Benlate may
be applied through sprinklers (Oregon and Idaho only).

Thiophante-Methyl (Topsin M)--apply 1.05 to 1.4 lb ai/A once at 50 to 70
percent bloom or 0.7 to 1.05 lb ai. Apply twice, once at 10 to 30 percent
bloom and the second 4 to 7 days later.

Rovral 50 WP 2.0/A--apply at 1 to 10 percent bloom and again 5 to 7 days later
in at least 40 gal water/A.  See rotation crop restrictions on label and under
residues.

Residues: Benomyl--tolerance 2.0 ppm in or on beans 50.0 ppm in or on vines
(forage). Limits 1.0 lb actual/A. Do not apply to snap or dry beans within 14 
days of harvest, or to lima beans within 28 days of harvest. Do not use where
crop is grown only for forage purposes.

Thiophante-Methyl--Tolerance 2.0 ppm in beans and 50 ppm in hay or forage. Do
not apply to beans within 14 days of harvest or lima beans within 28 days of
harvest.

Rovral--Garlic and leafy vegetables may be rotated after harvest.  Root crops,
cereal grains, soybeans, and tomatoes may be rotated the year following
treatment.  

Do not allow foraging for 14 days after last application of Rovral.  Do not
feed snap bean hay to livestock.  Do not feed dry bean hay to livestock until
45 days after last application.  Do not feed succulent bean hay to livestock.

Strategies for Control White and Gray Mold in the Same Field:

In the western valleys of the Pacific Northwest, both diseases at time occur
in one field.  In the last several years these problems have been controlled
by the use of Ronilan under a Section 18 label.  Since it is unlikely that
another Section 18 label will be obtained, other methods must be used to
control the diseases.  The facts that affect possible strategies are: Benlate
and Thiophanate-methyl control white mold well but slightly increase gray mold
because many gray mold strains are resistant to these fungicides.  Rovral
controls gray mold but is weak in the control of white mold.  Gray mold
strains resistant to Rovral do not survive well in the field.  Rovral has
plant-back restrictions.  Bravo controls gray mold poorly and does not control
white mold.  Bean waste treated with Bravo cannot be used as feed.

These facts suggest three possible programs for mold control, which are listed
with their pros and cons below.

1.    Use only Rovral for mold control.  Good control of gray mold but white
      mold, usually the more important problem, may not be controlled ade-
      quately.  Plant-back regulations apply.

2.    Use only Benlate or Thiophanate-methyl.  This program would work well
      unless an extended period of cool, moist weather occurred during the
      season.  Then, gray mold could cause large losses.

3.    Tank-mix or apply consecutively Rovral with either Benlate or
      Thiophanate-methyl.  These combinations should control both white and
      gray mold.  The full rate of each material in the combination certainly
      will give good control.  Mixtures with as little as a half rate of
      Rovral combined with a half rate of Benlate or Thiophanate-methyl should
      be adequate under moderate disease pressure.  Plant-back regulations
      apply.

In any of the above programs, control can be increased by reducing irrigation
during and after bloom and by selecting the times of day for irrigation that
limit plant wetness to less than 12 hours.
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

         ---------------------------------------------------
         ---------------------------------------------------    
         This  information was prepared by the Oregon  State 
         University   Extension  Service  from  Oregon   and 
         Pacific  NW publications as well as other vegetable 
         production  guidelines  from  public   institutions 
         in the  U.S.  and  Canada.   These  guidelines  are 
         intended  as a general guide for Oregon  commercial 
         vegetable producers.  Address comments or questions 
         to  your  County  Extension  Agent  or  Dr.  N.  S. 
         Mansour,  Department of Horticulture,  Oregon State 
         University, Corvallis, OR 97331. 
         ---------------------------------------------------