Subject: Re: PARTIAL SUN? Whats's it REALLY mean?

From: "E. Gilding" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Mar 1995 21:25:19 GMT

Brian Galvin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I know that full sun means 6 or more hours per day. Is only 2 hours
> partial sun?  Then what is partial shade? Why don't the catalogs say
> the exact number of sun hours needed for a perenial to bloom. Eg. -
> "this plant needs a minimum of 3.5 hours to bloom profusely".

partial sun and full sun isn't really measured in the hours, I think its
measured in the intensity.  The trick is to buy a plant and use
the "full/partial sun" "guide" as just that, a guide.

Place the plant in the shade (very little direct sun) and let it get
accustomed to the lighting level.

twoo weeks usually works, sometimes less.  them move it to someplace
that has a bit more light.  Beware of direct sun and sudden exposure
to bright light, this is the key, watch the plant closely every time 
you move it,  It'll tell you that its in the right sopt by growing
, if somethings wrong, the plant will be the first to tell ya.  if
the sun or light is too bright youll see that the leaves may frost over, get blisters
turn color to yellow or red (note that when suffering from sunburn
plants' leaves will change color, If the leaf and the stem (petiole) holding the
leaf cganges color and falls off you got another problem, not light).
thgezse are signs of sunburn.  However, some plants (hoyas included)
and their growers are not healty and happy unless the plants ARE sunburnt
get a book on the specific plant your growing for m0ore info.
if the plant does get sunburn, move it back to someplace with less light untill
it grows and appears to be happy.

---

From: Brian Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Mar 1995 23:23:17 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 13:51:18 -0500

generally partial means 2 - 6 hrs. i use the following breakdown:
full 6+
mostly sun (some shade tolerated) 4-6
partial sun 4 (give or take a 1/2 hour)
mostly shade 2
shade 0

then try the plant in a spot and see how it works. i find plants generally
more accepting than their cultivation tips allow, so experiment.
tigibson

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 19:02:29 GMT

>"this plant needs a minimum of 3.5 hours to bloom profusely".

Shady Oaks Nursery does exactly that.  Their description of the various
levels of "partial shade" is educational, and each plant description
gives a number indicating which level of "partial shade" that plant
requires.  (It seems to me that Mileager's does something similar, though
less detailed).          -Sue Sanders

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 13:51:18 -0500

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 19:02:29 GMT