Subject: Re: Getting rid of yarrow

From: [email-masked] (Bob Dickow)
Date: 27 Feb 1995 07:31:53 GMT

B. Poulsen ([email-masked]) wrote:
> Our neighbor told us we'd be sorry after we planted that yarrow, and
> now we know why!  Any tips on erradication this?

> Specifically, its called Pearl Yarrow.

Dig up and divide the fillipendula types annually. (or monthly
if you can find the time 8-)

I discovered that the backhoe that dug up my yarrow clump last
summer to put in a new sewer line effectively eliminated all
traces of the plant.

Do you mean yarrow 'The Pearl'? This is a different type that
for me at least is a fast spreader but tends to stay more
confined than the ferny leaved types. My soil is a medium
but friable loess clay, which may help deter spreaders. 

--

--Bob Dickow ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 19:54:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (B.
Poulsen) wrote:

> It has roots like morning glory, and it propagates profusely.
> Thanks,
> -B+B

Your "yarrow" most likely isn't yarrow (Achillea) at all but one of the
weedy artemisias, sometimes called wormwood.  Depending on where you live,
it is probably either Artemisia vulgaris or A. absinthium.

Does your "yarrow" have rather woody stems, alternate leaves that are
green-gray above and wooly-silver beneath?  Lots of small
grayish-tannish-white flowers in a spike or spikes (rather than a
flat-topped cluster like yarrow)? Long, horizontal roots that run rather
than a yellowish taproot?  Then it is wormwood.  

Wormwood is a common weed for us and because of its roots, re-propagates
itself when you try to pull it.  We have had to used repeat applications of
herbacide on it; these have been more effective early in the season before
the plant becomes too woody.  Try chopping it to the ground and when it
resprouts, start the war.  Good luck and remember to follow label
directions....

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum