Subject: Spruce trees - old age & bugs

From: [email-masked] (Wayne S. Mery)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 10:20:03 -0500

My large spruce trees are loosing needles due to age and bugs such 
as spider mites.  Can I treat these trees myself with a spray, and if
so what chemical or alternative is recommended?

-- 

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Wayne S. Mery         [email-masked]    Lehigh University Computing Ctr
Systems Programmer    (610) 758-3983     8B E. Packer Ave  Bethlehem PA 
VSE/ESA 1.2, VM/HPO 5

---

From: [email-masked] (Banoo Parpia)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 14:16:42

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Wayne S. Mery) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Wayne S. Mery)
>Subject: Spruce trees - old age & bugs
>Date: 8 Mar 1995 10:20:03 -0500

Are you sure that the problem is spider mites ?  Do the needles look 
brown and the branches generally upturned with small clusters of brown 
needles (almost like mini-cones) ?? If yes, then it could be "adelgids" at 
work and this could spread to other evergreens. This would mean cutting off 
all the infested area and disposing of it (burning ?) effectively.  In 
anycase, the best solution would be dormant oil spray in early spring ... 
spraying it yourself is possible if the tree is not too large and you can 
ensure coverage of all the branches that are alive.

B.J. Parpia
[email-masked]