Subject: Heating mat for seed starting

From: [email-masked] ( Melissa )
Date: 2 Mar 1995 18:40:42 GMT

I'm using a heating mat beneath my flats of peppers, tomatoes,
and flowers that need warmth (~70) to develop.  Problem is, I don't have
a thermostat for the mat, and it's at ~85 degrees (give or take a few).
Is this bad for my seeds?  I'm wondering if I put it on a timer (10 min
on, 10 off or whatever) to decrease the intensity of the heat would help,
or if it would stress the seeds further.  I just planted the seeds 
yesterday, so I'd appreciate advice ASAP.
						Thank you!

							Melissa,
							anticipating the
							first sprouts :)

---

From: PATTIBELLE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 95 00:50:28 -0500

Since PG&E has "voice mail" now and it's nearly impossible to talk to a
human, I'd write to them at their headquarters on Market St. in San
Francisco and ask for compensation for the damaged plants.  Or stop a
PG&E man when you see a truck and ask HIM where to write!  There's no
excuse for them tromping your plants like that, but be reasonable when
you talk to them.  Hope you get your plants replaced!
 
Pat in Napa, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Cook)
Date: 03 Mar 1995 23:22:47 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950302162542.16166A-100000@dale> D Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:

>Today 3/2, PG&E tree trimmers trampled my garden to pieces- (the local 
>power company clearing my trees from the wires)....
>
>3. WHERE THE HELL DO I GO TO FLAME PG+E???!?!!?
>
>Any other garden disaster survivors? Please commiserate and tell me how 
>to protect the garden in the future. 

Just one point you might not have considered:  There may be an easement
on your property where the power company has a legal right-of-way.  I
know that there is an area around the perimeter of my property that the
utilities have free access to.  If your garden is in their right-of-way,
you might want to consider moving the garden a little.

On the other hand, if it was just a bunch of bumbling boobs senselessly
stomping on your salvia, then by all means, go get 'em!  The problem is,
they'll soon forget about their little tiff with you (a mere homeowner),
and there's no telling when they'll be back, so it might make sense for
you to consider planting your garden somewhere else in your yard anyway,
if that would be at all possible.

Otherwise, you might try planting some land mines.  That'll get their
attention...
--

Jeff Cook                                 [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 16:28:11 GMT

Brett,
	I have just the opposite to report.
	I live outsde of Phila. PA.
	One day a rep from Phila Electric & Gas came to the door. (On a Sunday!) He 
explained they wanted to put in a new pole and move some wires. He explained 
what they wanted to accomplish and showed me three locations they could put 
the pole to accomplish the objective. The final location was my choice 
depending on what location was least offesive to me!
	Then he explained they had to top four out of seven Colorado Blue Spruce I 
had at the edge of the property, because thay were interfering with other 
wires. He appologized but it had to be done. Even though some had to be topped 
harder than others, he offered to instruct his grew to make them all the 
same and to even top the ones that were not interfering, to keep the stand 
uniform, if I wanted them to.
	I wish they didn't have to top the trees at all, but failing that, they 
treated my house, my trees and yard like they cared. When they were done, 
they cleaned up EVERYTHING, and the guy came back a few days later to ask if I 
had any conplaints.
	I've never told this story to anyone but ow I realize how very different 
things could have been
	Thank you, PECO!
	Steven

---

From: [email-masked] (GARDEN 7)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 18:12:30 -0500

I put a towel on mine.  Experiment with the thickness till you get the
right temp.  My peppers and tomatoes are coming up nicely, so it must not
hurt.  Cheaper than a timer too.                             T. Taylor

---

From: D Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:36:08 -0800

Today 3/2, PG&E tree trimmers trampled my garden to pieces- (the local 
power company clearing my trees from the wires).  Now I've lost half my 
second year foxgloves and some unusual golden lupines, but worst -- they 
CRUSHED my Salvia guaranitica, (was) 4 feet, full of new growth, some 
flowers.  Most of the side stems are almost off and the main trunk is 
split.  I rescued it immediately with some masking tape and duct tape but 
what can I do now?  It's rare and very hard to replace!!

Questions: 
1. What do I do with a broken salvia - don't tell me to rip it out!
	Can I root the broken parts?  Will it live?	
2. How can I fix it and make it happier?
	Are there treatments/antibacterials/wound sealants? 
3. WHERE THE HELL DO I GO TO FLAME PG+E???!?!!?

Brett Thomas (trying out a few new frownies)	 >>8-[   8~{  	>:-O

---

From: [email-masked] (Number 6)
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 06:11:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Jeff Cook) writes:
>In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950302162542.16166A100000@dale> D Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>Today 3/2, PG&E tree trimmers trampled my garden to pieces (the local 
>on your property where the power company has a legal rightofway.  I
>utilities have free access to.  If your garden is in their rightofway,

Yes, virtually all properties with aerial feed for power/telephone and
underground have a utility easement.  On my property, it is the 5 ft.
from the property line in back.  (I'm aerial and there is a pole on my
property.)  Check your deed/title and see what the easement is for
access to the property.  If they tromped something outside of the
easement, go get 'em.  If they tramped on the easement...you really
won't get far.

One thing to note, that I find interesting...GTE, our local (terrible)
telco has aerial to my house.  They are *not allowed* to trim trees
without explicit owner consent as long as the tree has not caused a
service *outage*!  My neighbor's oak tree once infiltrated the lines to
our neighborhood and I curiously asked "why don't you do preventive
maintenance on trees?"  They replied "we're not allowed to anymore, we
used to to do it, about 7 years ago, but not now."

Since I used to work in the title insurance industry, I'll also note
that many counties have HUGE (wide) easements on many people's
properties for "road improvements" or "access roads".  Don't plant in
a growing area where there is an easement for that, or you'll lose it
someday, unfortunately.

***********************************************************************
Nathan D. Lane, Second Foundation. Lompoc, CA   
NaN != 6, 6 == 1.  I am not a number, I am a free list!
I'm a programmer  my computers are more valuable than my cars.

---

From: D Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:36:08 -0800

Questions:

---

From: [email-masked] (Number 6)
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 06:11:03 GMT

---

From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 95 16:06:31 PDT

> From: D Thomas <[email-masked]>
> Newsgroups: rec.gardens
> Subject: HELP! Garden damaged!Plants crushed!
> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:36:08 -0800
> Organization: University of California, Davis

Brett - 

> 	Can I root the broken parts?  Will it live?	

Cut down the broken stems (hopefully leaving some significant stubs at the
base, and it should resprout easily.  When this plant get out of bounds, I
often have clients cut them down to 'rejuvenate' them into a nicer shape.
It will probably also sprout from the roots (eventually this plant suckers
a bit and you'll have it coming up in various places).

Yes, the broken stems will root - probably best indoors at this time of
year, in a cool bright (but not sunny) window.  Will root in water, but its
best to root cuttings (stripped of lower leaves) in some sort of sand/
perlite/vermiculite mixture, after being dipped in a powdered rooting
hormone (see you local nursery), covered in a plastic bag or other clear
covering (changed frequently to prevent fungal growth).

> 	Are there treatments/antibacterials/wound sealants? 

Not necessary - just follow above 'pruning' directions.

> 3. WHERE THE HELL DO I GO TO FLAME PG+E???!?!!?

You're on your own here.

Good Luck.  (If by some strange reason you fail miserably, when you are in
Oakland next, come by and get some from me).
 
 H O R T U L U S   A P T U S  ('gardens', 'suited to their purpose')
 Sean A. O'Hara
 710 Jean Street, Oakland, CA  94610-1459        [email-masked]
 (510) 987-0577