Subject: Re: another definition. What is dirt/soil?

From: [email-masked] (Paul R. Schanbacher)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 20:54:11 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] (Dick Gilman) says:

>My wife and I argue about what is really dirt vs other stuff>

Interestingly, I just read this definition of soil today in a 
book by Raymond Birdwell called "Hydroponic Gardening"

"What does soil mean after all?  It simply means a growing medium
for plants.  Rich soil would mean one that has good particle size 
with a lot of good nutrients in it."

The American Heritage Dictionary also supports this definition in
part by stating "A place or condition favorable to growth."

I thought this was interesting.  Birdwell even says growing rocks
used in hydroponics is "soil"

Like I said interesting.!
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Jorobb)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 17:46:40 -0500

Well, it seems you received enough serious answers here so I can safely
pass this clarification along:

"Dirt" is what you find under your bed, in your carpet, or under the
television set when you finally move it.

"Soil" is what's in the garden.