Subject: organic farmers

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 5 Mar 1995 18:46:40 GMT

I guess you don't want to split the group and give organic farmers and
gardners their own group.  They give everyone a group but when it comes to
organic they always say nooo to split off stay on this group.  ok there is
a lot going on in organic farming these days. to that I would think others
in thses different news groups will say ok ok give thime their own group
Orgainc Program Standards Development Paper
  To me the first line I read in the USDA Published paper dated Sept
26,1994 says it all:  "We acknowledge and honor the consumer expectation
that organic goods will be produced without the use of
synthetic,substances.  " 
 Another line I like is :  "We recognize that the goal of each organic
production unit will be a healthy soil environment that uses only natural
substance to produce food.  We expect that the livestock environment will
be such that organic feed and attentive care are sufficient to support the
animals without medications.  We assume and prefer that all organically
processed foods will be handled without synthetic processing
aids,additives or ingredients.  I have never heard it put a better way. 
They really seem to know what consumers expect and say they will honor
this. 
 I don't understand the rest of the paper.They go on to say that this
(production unit) or that (production unit) :>> can use this synthetic
substance or that synthetic substance and that they would become an
accepted organic agricultural input that unequivocally could be
incoorporated into the management system of the organic production unit.
Things like treated seed (fungicides)treated cows(synthetic medications
and parasiticides) treated organic processed foods like non label
incidental food additives and non agricultural ingredients and non-organic
agricultural ingreadients.Rembember when organic use to mean someting? 
I'm I missing someting here. If this is what the gov. wants to call
organic what do you call a producer (a organic unit):>>> that really does
honor the consumer expectation that organic goods will be produced without
the use of synthetic substances.  Seems like we can't use organic because
we wouldn't be honoring what the consumers expects.  Is this what is
really going to happen.  It's getting to be a joke.  Did someone say foxes
watching the hen house. Wise ol fox got the job.  Sal Schettino,Organic
Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked] or check out my homepage: 
http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html .