Subject: Re: tomatoes in container? How deep?

From: [email-masked] (Arnold Polikoff)
Date: 18 Feb 1995 16:01:53 GMT

When tomatos are planted in a garden the roots go down about 14 feet. YES
fourteen feet.

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:49:49 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] "Joann M. Hnat" writes:

> Martin -- When you say that you let them climb up ropes hung from above, 
> I'm unclear exactly what you mean.  Do you just attach single lines of 
> rope on the ceiling (or wherever) and let the tomatoes climb these?  Do 
> you tie them in any way?  BTW, thanks a lot for this posting -- I've been 
> trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my tomatoes this year, 
> since I am loathe to give up any of my small sunny garden space to 
> vegetables.  (I prefer to grow flowers.)

Usually you have a horizontal support (part of the greenhouse roof or a
strong wire tied between two vertical posts). It has to be strong enough
to carry the weight of the full grown tomato plants and crop.
You hang down a length of stout garden rope (4-6mm diameter) for each plant.
As the plant grows you wrap the rope around the main stem leaving plenty of 
slack. If you tie them you may strangle the plant. Friction holds them in.
Also to get the best tomatoes you usually take out all the side shoots, and
lastly take out the growing tip when they reach 6' or so. The only problem
is making sure they stay properly watered or you lose fruit(ie not too dry).

Children can enjoy growing on the sideshoots outside to have their own
tomato plants to look after. A good way to foster interest in gardening...

Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:49:49 +0000

Regards,