Subject: Re: Artichokes and Ants... :-(

From: [email-masked] (Nick Maclaren)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 11:49:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Anke Kamrath) writes:
|> 
|> Everytime I've planted artichokes they get invested with ants.
|> Any advice on how to deal with this problem in an organic
|> (safe) way?

The ants are almost certainly there because the artichokes are
infested by sap-suckers on the roots.  Ants, per se, will not
harm artichokes.  I know of no safe and organic way to kill the
sap-suckers.  Soaking the area to a depth of 3 feet with soapy
water is organic but not safe, and using malathion is safe but
not organic :-(

I eventually gave up, and grubbed the lot.

|> Does planting chives near or around them help?

I doubt it.

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  [email-masked]
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679

---

From: [email-masked] (MarlaP1041)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 18:56:45 -0500

What are sap-suckers? Lots of times I get what I thought were root maggots
on broccoli and cabbage plants and there were usually small ants hanging
with them. Are these the same thing?

---

From: [email-masked] (MarlaP1041)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 18:56:45 -0500