Subject: Re: clay soil help

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 10:56:33 GMT

Creeping phlox will grow almost anywhere, including compacted
clay, in my experience.  But, you could get much better results
with anything by amending the soil a little.

Chris Owens
>
>I have a section of my yard that consists of dense clay soil.  I've been 
>unable to get anything much to grow there.  I'm wondering if there are 
>any (flowering) hardy ground covers that might grow well in clay soil?
>
>Thanks!
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Wayne Weichel)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 13:05:27

>any (flowering) hardy ground covers that might grow well in clay soil?

I've had good success with verbena.  You'll have to break the clay up some to 
get it started, but the plant seems plenty hardy once established.

---

From: [email-masked] (CMac)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 12:17:15 -0600

> In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950227171924.22897B-100000@morpheus> Lisa

> get it started, but the plant seems plenty hardy once established.

What's your take on using a little top soil mixed in?  It worked great for
vegs and flowers in the red clay of Northern Virginia.--------------CMac

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 15:01:42 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950227171924.22897B-100000@morpheus> Lisa Landow <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: Lisa Landow <[email-masked]>
>Subject: clay soil help
>Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 17:25:04 -0500

>Thanks!

Lisa-
	My garden near Phila. PA is mostly dense clay. We're working to improve it 
but...
	We have had considerable success with all of the Thyme varieties we have 
tried. Of course. Thyme wants to grow in full sun and you didn't mention if 
the area gets sun or not. 
	I have one measely little Sweet Woodruff growing under a Pin Oak in full 
shade in soil that has a lot in common with concrete. I'm looking for more 
Sweet Woodruff for that spot. (See my post)
	Good luck!
	Steven