Subject: Re: use of dormant spray on plum trees in AZ

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 07:10:56 -0800

BGreen1229 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: i have spoken to two "experts" about using dormant spray and received two
: diametrically oppossed answers.  

: should i or shouldn't i? ( and if so when?)

: thanks for the help.
	I can't imagine any harm being done by it; I did read your 
earlier posting. Dormant spraying can prevent problems with overwintering 
pests and fungus diseases. In your climate, fungus diseases aren't as 
much a problem, I imagine, but there may still be insects, mites, etc. 
that could be curtailed with a dormant spray. 
	Dormant sprays in this region re recommended for three 
applications. With a longer growing season, your spraying schedule could 
be different (or do you have a longer growing season... high desert.... 
hmmm....) We spray with copper when the leaves fall, about Thanksgiving. 
This would be mixed with a spreader sticker and might also include a 
horticultural oil spray. Around Christmas during a dry spell, we'd spray 
with lime sulfur and oil. Our last spray would come around February with 
copper or oil/sulfur  If the buds have begund to break out, everything is 
off until next year. Of course, dormant spraying is for deciduous fruit 
trees.
	Most peiople who advocate growing orgaically go along with some 
dormant spraying. The sprays are relatively harmless and are sprayed when 
there is no fruit on the tree. you avoid the heavier duty spraying you 
might have to do later.
	Your local County Agriculture office/Cooperative Extension should 
be able to give you the authoritative answers for dormant spraying. 
They may have delegated this responsibility to a knowledgeable Master 
Gardener, but the answer would be apropriate to your conditions and 
calendar; something you will probably not find on the Internet.
Bruce Moon 
Rio Linda, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (BGreen1229)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 16:53:36 -0500

thanks alot for your advice. do you have any tips at all about growing
okra in the    tuscon/low desert area?                                    
                                              bert.