Subject: Re: Dear K. Klier

From: [email-masked] (Shannon Smith)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 07:04:10 GMT

Yes, please keep line length to 70 or fewer characters.  This allows for 
quoting and accommodates different displays.  For example, a 78-character 
line will be fine on my screen, and *one* quote of it might make it.  A 
re-quote will run all over my screen.

YMMV, but 70 chars/line could be termed the "community standard."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Mar 95 10:23:10 CST

Carol,

> This is kind of off topic, but I was noticing in one of Kay's posts that she 
> suggested keeping the characters per line to around 70, and as this has been 
> something that I've been wondering about myself, I was wondering if this was 
> a universally agreed upon thing that I didn't know about.

78 characters per line should keep your messages from wandering off
the page.  The point of doing 70 characters person line is that it
allows for the adding of ">" type marks at the front of a line without
pushing the line off the edge of the screen.

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc Riou)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 02:50:08 GMT

The original thread was: Dear Mr Klier.

> YMMV, but 70 chars/line could be termed the "community standard."

Yes, by all means, if you have the option to set your line
length, number of columns, set it to 70. 

Unfortunately, some posters can't do it or don't know how to.

Marc

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynsey Gedye)
Date: 5 Mar 95 14:55:33 GMT-12

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Carol M. Lively) writes:
>Really, this post is to one and all.  I just mentioned K. Klier 
>because her posting prompted this posting.

>This is kind of off topic, but I was noticing in one of Kay's posts 
>that she suggested keeping the characters per line to around 70, and 
>as this has been something that I've been wondering about myself, I 
>was wondering if this was a universally agreed upon thing that I didn't
>know about.

>So, Kay, and those of you who have been around and know the *right and 
>proper* way, please enlighten me.

  My old typography tutor (see that Hazel, a cheap shot about your
  age =;) always said, "Depending on type style and size, the
  length of line should be between 35 and 70 characters per line.
  This includes characters, punctuation and spaces.  This maximises
  readability for BODY TEXT.  45 characters per line is ideal."

  So, there you go Carol, not only gut for you, but gut for
  Gutenberg. =:)  Course, Frau Gamec is such a stroppy witch,
  you may choose (at your peril) to ignore her.  The answer to
  forestall her wrath is to say, "I don't care, I LIKE it like this and I'll hang type anywhere I want to and I don't care if no-one can read it! Avant Garde typefaces rule in metric!!!"

--
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc Riou)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 02:50:08 GMT

Marc

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynsey Gedye)
Date: 5 Mar 95 14:55:33 GMT-12

--
[email-masked]