Subject: American Chesnut Cooperators Foundation Information

From: Ben A. Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 95 16:16:44 -0500

A note on the American Chesnut Cooperators Foundation.....

The American Chesnut Cooperators' Foundation is a nonprofit
scientific and educational foundation dedicated to restoring the
American chesnut to its former place in our Eastern hardwood
forests. Priorities include the development of blight-resistant
all-American chesnuts and economical biological control measures
against chesnut blight in the forest enviroment.

The foundation distributes seed nuts (in October) and seedlings (in
November) to members who agree to report each September on their
trees' progress. Report forms are printed in the fall newsletter
for this purpose. An annual donation of $20 is suggested for
membership; otherwisw, a sum sufficient to cover our costs.

ACCF distributions are very large scale trials of the early
products of open pollination in our breeding orchards. Blight
resistance of parent trees is inherited by only some of their
offspring. More generations of breeding are necessary to produce
American chesnuts with blight resistance that is regularly
inheritable. When ACCF stock is planted within this area infested
by blight, natural selection will reveal the resistant individuals.

Other projects for cooperators include managing selected aging
clearcuts for American chesnut revival and spring grafting clinics.
To receive more information or to join our work, please write to
ACCF, 2667 Forest Service Road 708, Newport Virginia 24128. 

......................................................

As a member of ACCF, I have taken the task of answering periodic
inquiries which appear on rec.gardens. If there are specific
questions about American chesnut revival, I can provide e mail
reply within the limits of my knowledge. I am a cooperator
dedicated to helping out on the long term project. 

........................................................
BEN A HARRIS       615 239 0526     fax 615 239 0526
E MAIL [email-masked]              Kingsport Tennessee
........................................................