Subject: Summer Squash that *vines*?

From: [email-masked] (Kate Wrightson)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 19:48:06 GMT

I'm seeking a yellow crookneck summer squash that is a _vine_, not a 
bush.  I can't seem to find non-bush squash anywhere, whether in stores 
or in catalogs (Park's and Burpee's, to be exact).  Can anyone help?

--
*****************************************************************************
[email-masked]            Kate Wrightson        [email-masked]
                       Will grovel for R.E.M. tickets!
      "Mine is a life fairly teeming with little elves." -- Henry Alford
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerald Sacks)
Date: 3 MAR 95 09:55:35

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Kate Wrightson) writes...
>or in catalogs (Park's and Burpee's, to be exact).  Can anyone help?

Let me guess.  You read in "Square Foot Gardening" that such a thing exists.
I haven't found it, but I grow a pale green vining summer squash called
"zucchetta rampicante," "tromboncino," or "Italian trombone squash."  It's
available from a number of sources, including Pinetree and Shepherd's.
Most summer squashes are Cucurbita pepo, but I believe this one is Cucurbita
moschata, which is the same species as butternut squash.

There are also a number of gourds that when picked young can be used like
summer squash.  Among them are several oriental varieties (available from
seed companies that specialize in oriental seeds) and the Italian varieties
"cucuzzi" and "lagenaria" (I'm not sure if these are the same or different).
I've never grown any of these edible gourds.  

There are a couple of other possibilities that I'm pursuing.  If I'm successful,
I'll post to the group.

Gerald Sacks			[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Kate Wrightson)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 20:49:09 GMT

Gerald Sacks ([email-masked]) wrote:

: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Kate Wrightson) writes...
: >I'm seeking a yellow crookneck summer squash that is a _vine_, not a 
: >bush.  I can't seem to find non-bush squash anywhere, whether in stores 
: >or in catalogs (Park's and Burpee's, to be exact).  Can anyone help?

: Let me guess.  You read in "Square Foot Gardening" that such a thing exists.

Nope.  My mother grew it, but she's dead now and can't tell me where she 
got it.

: I haven't found it, but I grow a pale green vining summer squash called
: "zucchetta rampicante," "tromboncino," or "Italian trombone squash."  It's

Someone sent me a tip that such a thing is available from Gurney's.  I'm 
calling them today to pursue, and will post results as soon as I can.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kate Wrightson)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 20:49:09 GMT