Subject: Garden/Lawn Questions..!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 23:48:03 GMT

Two questions:

I am a newbie to gardening, etc, as I have just bought my first house-bear 
with me. :)

1) I have tulips and lilies now coming out from bulbs I planted last fall. 
What should I do after they have bloomed and have run their course? I read in 
a gardening article that I should let them completely die out (above ground),
but do I then dig up and store the bulbs? Do I leave em underground?
Am I just nuts to even think of re-using the bulbs? :)

2) We have a newly planted seed lawn, which was coming up quite nicely, with 
the exception of too many dandelions. :) Lately it's been rather damp here in 
Southern California (Zone 9?) and the lawn has started to show signs of some 
sort of mold/fungus. It's turf type long fescue, btw. It's showing large, 
non-circular  blobs of brown grass with a cottony like fuzz inbetween the 
blades. The grass is still green at the tips, but brown where the fuzz is. Is 
this 'brown patch'? I bought a bottle of something (will have to check the 
label for the name) that is supposed to kill lawn fungi, but I want to make 
sure the ailment is on the list of diseases this stuff will kill. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is treatment necessary? our gardener 
thinks it's just due to overwatering (rain) and will clear up, but the large 
amounts of white fuzz are worrying me..

Any help appreciated!

Heather