Subject: What to do w/ NE side of House?

From: [email-masked] (Theo D)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 07:15:34 -0500

Hello all. An amatuer gardener/landscaper here seeking assistance.

I've got a patch of land, approx. 7x12 ft, on the NE side of my home that
needs sprucing up.

I'm in zone 4-5, and would like to plant a mix of evergreen and deciduous
shrubs that grow to approx. 5' high. I was thinking of viburnum and some
type of yew - but I'm not sure about compatability of the 2.

I'd like some opinions from the experienced out there - What successes
have you had with north facing plantings? 

Please E-mail me - or post, I'm sure many others have the same dilemma.

Advance thx,

T.

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Mar 1995 15:51:52 GMT

>type of yew - but I'm not sure about compatability of the 2.

Most viburnums get a lot taller than 5' and most would probably flower
sparsely without more sun.  Yews would probably do fine there but are
fairly boring--but if you like them and they suit the spot, go for it.

I personally would try something with more interest.  Shade gardens can
be beautiful.  If the spot isn't too exposed and the soil is somewhat
acidic, you could try some rhodendrons.  The selection hardy enough for
your zone isn't really large but there are some nice ones available
(what's your low temp?  -25 degrees?)  Again if the soil is acid, high
bush blueberries would work and would give you the added benefit of
fruit.  (They make very attractive ornamentals; flowers, attractive
summer foliage, fruit, good fall color).  Ferns are good, too; royal fern
(reportedly) actually gets up to about 5', but smaller ones, along with
wildflowers, would be great planted under and around your shrubs.  						
										-Sue Sanders