Subject: Re: Beverly Nichols

From: [email-masked] (Boyd Zenner)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 22:36:29 GMT

[email-masked]  writes:
> Crummy old day (weatherwise) and I was consoling myself reading PLANT
> DREAMING DEEP by May Sarton and for some reason thought of a book I read
> by Beverly Nichols about transforming a dull suburban lot into a wonderful
> garden (of course).  Anyone know the title of this book and if the garden
> still exists?  Anyone else reading books of this ilk or only technical
> information?  Andrea.

I love Bevley Nichols.  I think the book you're talking about
is _Merry Hall_. I have it, and another of his called _A
Village in a Valley_: I'm always looking for others at re and
out-of-print book stores.  I think the Common Reader catalogue
now lists one Nichols title in , but otherwise his works are
out of print as far I know.

(Hope this turns out to be readable--the line noise is terrible
today.

Boyd

---

From: [email-masked] (AndreaK803)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 12:28:41 -0500

---

From: George <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 01:04:28 GMT

Beverly Nichols wrote quite a few books on gardening (as well as 
other topics).  His last garden was in Ham Common near London.  He 
died in the mid-80's (84, I think) a week after a fall down the 
stairs.  During a visit to England in 1987, I checked with the RHS 
to see if his garden survived.  It did and was open only one day 
that year,  the following Sunday.  Needless to say, I went to the 
garden and spent about 3 hours there, talking to the current 
resident and taking pictures.  (I took about one-and-a-half rolls of
film).  In contrast to many of the British gardens which have a 
'formal' feel to them, his felt very informal.  You just wanted to 
grab a good book and lie down and read.  

You can reed about this garden in _Garden Open Today_ and _Garden 
Open Tomarrow_.  Both are excellant.

The only book of his that I know is available new is _A Village In A
Valley_ which is in paper for about $20.  Try Capabilities for it.

Address any e-mail to me at [email-masked]

-- 
...................George

---

From: George <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 01:04:28 GMT