Subject: Re: "Short" camellia?

From: [email-masked] (Brent Dickerson)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 22:15:05 GMT

kathy morgan ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Are there species of camellia that stay small? [ . . . ]
: Kathy

KM:

Some of the Sasanqua group of Camellias stay rather short and compact:  
`Showa-no-Sakae', `Showa Supreme', `Bonanza', `Mine-no-Yuki' all come to 
mind.  I believe that the Rusticana group of Japonica Camellias also has 
plants which tend to be smaller than the typical Japonica Camellias.

Best Wishes,

--BCD

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 22:55:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (kathy morgan) writes:
|> Are there species of camellia that stay small?  I have a beautiful
|> shrub that is blooming right now and I would like to put another
|> below a window, but the one I already have is between 5 and 6 feet
|> tall and would never work under a window.  I don't want to set
|> myself up for a perpetual pruning chore in the future, so if I
|> can't find a small camellia something else will have to do.
|> 
|> Kathy

   I don't remember what the label on my camellia stated it would
ultimately grow to but I've had it for 5 years and it is just
reaching 3 1/2 - 4 feet tall.  Don't know if there is anything shorter.
The camellia I have is a Sasanqua variety 'Yuletide'.  This is a single
flowered camellia, but I chose it for it's ability to tolerate cold
a little better than the japonica's.  It has a nice fragrance, with
red flowers and bright yellow stamens.  It blooms early, this season
mine started before Thanksgiving and finished in early January.
(This was the best flowering I've gotten, extreme cold sometimes
zaps the flower buds in early Dec. (here in Dallas area).  

   I think with a little pruning you could probably hold it around
4 feet tall and have a nice little specimen.

Rich             You mean dig up the soil,
                    pull all the weeds, plant
                    the seeds, pull some more
                    weeds, water the seeds,
                    and pull some more weeds?
                                   - C.B.

---

From: [email-masked] (kathy morgan)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 20:49:33 GMT

Are there species of camellia that stay small?  I have a beautiful
shrub that is blooming right now and I would like to put another
below a window, but the one I already have is between 5 and 6 feet
tall and would never work under a window.  I don't want to set
myself up for a perpetual pruning chore in the future, so if I
can't find a small camellia something else will have to do.

Kathy