Subject: Peppercorns

From: [email-masked] (Paul Reeves)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 14:22:22 GMT

Hello,

	I seen here in the group last week someone asking about growing
peppercorns in a windowbox.  At the time I thought that it would be interesting
to do this too.  However, I found out through the "Farmer's Almanac" some
of the information that the individual wanted to know.

	First off, true peppercorns, according to the "Farmer's Almanac", only
will grow 20 degrees from the Equator, so I suppose it means that they can not
grow around here.  But there seem to be other types that are not "true" peppercorns
that will grow in various areas here in the United States.  There was a listing
of them, but I can not remember them.

	Just wanted to pass this along,

Gazmuth

---

From: "E. Gilding" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 1995 01:10:55 GMT

> 	Just wanted to pass this along,
Peppercorns, or black pepper is one of the many Piper sp. used for
narcotic and seasoning purposes.  Piper nigrum is the black pepper
used to put on just about everything.  I have a piper nigrum
growing, Its not a cheap plant but you CAN grow it from seed.
the plant is also brittle.

However heres the good thing for you indor gardeners:

* It likes shade and low light levels, that means it'll do good
next to a window with no extra lighting

*It doesn't need to grow within the 20 degree line of the equator, it
does need warm tempuatures and moist soil.

Mines is doing great outside here at 21 degrees north and its sprouting
roots from the stem meaning it likes to climb on trees with thick bark.

I collected some seeds from Forter Botanical Gardens in Honolulu and their
vine is healthy but it naturally looks like a straggly frail thing
crawling up a tree, I think its just the clone we have in hawaii.
If someone imported a stroger clone maybe people would farm it here
but like many things in hawaii, everyone just doesn't care until
you can make money off of it.

---

From: "E. Gilding" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 1995 01:10:55 GMT