Subject: Acid-rain tolerant shrubs?

From: [email-masked] (James F. Strasma)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 10:37:48 -0600

Our Bristlecone Pine, the one that was supposed to outlast me by 1,900 
years, just died. It grew well for several years, but began to fail soon 
after a new furnace was installed with a side vent for its exhaust near 
the Bristlecone. Once I figured out the problem, I extended the vent up 4 
more feet away from the Bristlecone, but winds often still carry the 
exhaust back down around the Bristlecone.

Now I need a replacement shrub that can tolerate the exhaust. It will go 
on the South side of our mid-Illinois home, under the eaves where rain is 
limited and the soil sandy/clay (in order words, bad). It can't end up 
more than about 10' tall, and we'd rather have something more colorful 
than the Bristlecone. An Armstrong Juniper next to it (upwind) is doing well 
despite the exhaust, but my wife doesn't want another of those.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.
Jim Strasma
Network Planner
Western Illinois University
[email-masked]

-- 
Jim Strasma, Network Planner, Western Illinois University
[email-masked]