Subject: Re: Using Epsom salts in in plant soil?

From: martin j. chiaverini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 11:20:07 EST

Jerry Baker does seem to have some unorthodox ideas.  In his houseplant book
he also suggests using Epsom salts, teas, and liquid soap.  Apparently, Epsom
salts (magnesium sulfate) contain two of the important secondary  nutrients
plants need, magnesium and sulfur.  The third is calcium.  Liquid soap is
recommened as a wetting agent to help water penetrate the soil.  Also, the
tannic acid in tea is supposed to help plants' "digestive system", which I
take to mean their uptake of nutrients.  "First Aid for Plants" by Jack
Kramer suggests that a solution of weak tea may be useful for cleansing
soil of fertilizer salts and products of hard water.  Hope this helps.

---

From: [email-masked] (Debbie DeNeese)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 14:15:03 -1812

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Don Burns) wrote:

  > Epsom salt is also known as magnesium sulfate.  Here in south Florida we
  > have many palms that demand magnesium in their diets lest their fronds
  > will begin to turn yellow.  It can be dissolved in water with a drop or
  > two of dishwash detergent as a wetting agent and sprayed on the fronds, or
  > the epsom salts can be applied to the soil. The latter is a much slower
  > means to get the nutrient to the plant.  On the other hand not all palms
  > can absorb nutrients through their fronds.

Hi Don...got a question for you...how 'bout my Malayan Golden hybrid,
which has a gold cast to the fronds and orange coconuts?  I feed it
regularly with palm food, but darned if I can tell if the fronds are
yellow to the extent of the variety or as a sign of distress. It's a
vigorous growing and fruiting tree, but always the worrier I want to be
sure it's getting everything it needs...

BTW, what is the ratio of epsom salt to water for the foliar feeding?

I sure hope the owners of many of the Canary Isle Date Palms in this So.
Fla. area are reading this, as most of them look like they could use a
good shot of micro's esp. magnesium.

Thanks in advance for your help...

=http://inca.gate.net:80/~d_swartz/neurodisc/html/neurodisc.html=
 Debbie DeNeese                     Email:  [email-masked]
 Neurodisc Records, Inc.            (finger for pgp public key)             
 450 N. Park Road  Suite 700             (305) 963-0555 [voice]
 Hollywood, FL   33021                   (305) 964-1117 [fax]
-= http://dswartz.dffl.gate.net/neurodisc/html/neurodisc.html =-