Subject: Help! Attacked by rabbits!

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bohall)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 00:03:50 GMT

help...we just put new garden in northern VA (zone 7) last fall and family
of rabbits have adopted us already!! they sit in the bed nibbling on the
pansies, licking their chops in anticipation.  we are in a rental, can't
have dogs, the property is 1.5 acres not fenced.  the bulbs are ready to
start pushing up and we can just imagine the teeth marks of destruction.
do we dare invest in seeds for a cutting flower bed much less expensive
herb seedlings?  the humane traps around here start at $50.00 and we
don't own a gun....help!!!!!!!

--
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Grahame Rumsby)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 01:39:42 UNDEFINED

Brian:
	Just got in at 1:30 am and reading this and started laughing...
I have a rabbit problem .. It is devouring my heather and perennials in a rock 
garden by my pond.. I set a humane trap with lettuce in it last week..
Came in just now and low and behold theres old Peter Cottontail chowing down 
on the salad bar I left in the trap...
	I'll leave him overnight and take him over to the woods on the other side of 
the highway from here.. I think the humane trap is the way to go.. I know u 
can rent them from our local humane society (SPCA?)

Grahame

---

From: Bryce Grevemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 17:31:49 GMT

[email-masked] (Grahame Rumsby) wrote:
>
>help...we just put new garden in northern VA (zone 7) last fall and
>a family of rabbits have adopted us already!! they sit in the bed 
>nibbling on the pansies, licking their chops in anticipation.  

Buy a pound or two of mothballs. (The balls, not the powered crystals). 
Spread these in the garden and in nearby areas that give them 
cover. (I have a nice thick hedge that goes right up to my 
garden).  The balls will stick around for a couple of months,
which is usually enough time for your familly of bunnies to find
and adopt someone elses garden.  If not, there's more mothballs 
where those came from.

I have also used blood meal, (which is also a nice fertlizer) 
with limited success.

And then again, there's always rabbit stew.   :-)

Bryce Grevemeyer
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Grahame Rumsby)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 01:39:42 UNDEFINED

Brian:

Grahame

---

From: Bryce Grevemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 17:31:49 GMT

Bryce Grevemeyer

---

From: [email-masked] (Kopal Barnouin-Jha)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 04:58:58 GMT

>>nibbling on the pansies, licking their chops in anticipation.  

Adopt a greyhound!  If your garden is all fenced in (for the dog), you can 
be sure the rabbits will find another grazing ground!  Our greyhounds tear 
around the tiny yard like crazy, but respect very well the little 1' fence
around the veggies!  It's funny, cause their legs are longer than the fence,
but they don't step over, ever!  When their toys accidentally get over into 
the veggies, they stand around and whine till I retrieve for them.

I'm not advocating rabbit coursing, rather the instilling of proper fear into
those veggie chompers.  Their territory marking around the yard helps too, 
I'm sure.

For more information on greyhound adoption, email [email-masked]

Good luck!

Kopal