Subject: Help selecting small ornamental tree

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 15:57:34 GMT

I posted this a few days ago but saw no responses.  I thought
that I'd post again hoping the lack of response was due to the fact that
my original post was never actually posted.  Maybe I should make the
subject: Favorite ornamental tree; those 'favorite' subject posts 
always draw quite a bit of response.  ;^)

   I live in zone 7 and want to plant a small ornamental tree in my back
yard.  It's an easterly exposure with sun from early morning until around
2:00 PM.  From the back of my house to the back fence is approximately
18 feet (small yard, I know), so you can see my need for a small tree.

   What I would like is a single tree growing to about 20 ft. tall that
can be trimmed into a single trunk with a thin spreading canopy
that will partially cover my deck and a walkway around the side
of the house.

   My ideas so far are:

Cercis canadensis - Redbud 'Oklahoma' or 'Texas'
Ungnatia speciosa - Mexican buckeye
Cornus species - Dogwood (is this a finicky tree)
Diospyros species - Japanese persimmon (don't know best variety for area)
Acer buergerianum - Trident Maple

   Anybody have experience with one or more of these trees?
Do you like/dislike them?
Any other ideas?

-- 
Rich Campbell in Plano, TX (near Dallas)
[email-masked]