Subject: amaryllis question

From: Paula M Craft <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 21:22:47 -0700

I received an amaryllis in a box kit as a get well gift and it bloomed 
nicely but now I don't know what is going on.  It never got leaves, just 
two stalks with four or five flowers on each.  Now they are wilting and a 
new something is sprouting from the bulb.  Is that the leaves?  Should I 
cut the flower stalks off?  Can I repot this now in a nicer pot with real 
soil?  It was from the mom-in-law so I would like to keep it.  Are they 
mostly houseplants or could I put it in its pot on the patio this 
summer?  Help, help, help.

- Paula M. Craft
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (StanfordLG)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 11:13:35 -0500

> - Paula M. Craft

What part of the country are you in?  The following are directions for
Zone 5.  If the Amaryllis was forced in soil, then it is entirely possible
to save the bulb for another blossom next year.  Since you did not seem to
get too much foliage during the blossoming cycle, we will assume that the
new growth you see is in fact leafy.  Allow the flowers to wither
completely before cutting back the stems.  Continue to water the plant
regularly, until mid April.  The foliage will be quite bushy by now, and
the plant should be transplanted outside.  Amaryllis thrive in warm
weather - but not hot - and will begin to die back in late June or July. 
After they have died back, remove them from the ground and cut off the
foliage.  Store them in your basement until next winter when you want to
force the bulb again.

Stanford

 Stanford L. Gnagy - [email-masked] - FAX.303.321.0591
 1272 Columbine Street Unit B, Denver, Colorado 80206-3109

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Mar 95 00:09:49 -0600

> summer?  Help, help, help.

Yes, those are the leaves coming on, and yes, you can put it in real
soil in a real pot.  Just be gentle if you're not used to repotting....
the usual time to repot is when the bulb is dormant, not when it's
entering a growth spurt.  But with care, nothing bad should happen.

Are the old flowers showing signs of seeds forming?  If so, cut the
young fruits off now.  Leave the flower stalk until the plant has
more foliage... right now, it's photosynthesis from the flower stalk
that's probably doing most of the work for the bulb.

You can indeed put it out on the patio this summer, and if you intend
to do that, you probably do need to put the bulb into soil that holds
moisture better than the usual "kit soil".  Or you can sink the pot
into a larger pot, and let the soil in the big pot "buffer" the
soil moisture for the bulb.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Okie Mom)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 01:41:01 -0500

Glad you enjoyed your amaryllis.  I'm no expert, but have had mine bloom
for years now.  I would guess what is coming up from your bulbs now is the
leaves.  I would cut off the old bloom and re-pot the bulb (or not,
depending on whether you like the container it is in).  I "plant" mine,
pot and all, after danger of frost is past in a flower bed where I will be
using fertilizer -- I use Miracle Grow as directed for flowers.  In the
fall I dig up the pots and put them into a dark cabinet indoors and
withold water until the leaves are dried up.  Then I begin watering again.
 When the bud is beginning to emerge, I bring it out into the light for a
new set of blossoms.  I have not personally had success in controlling
when mine bloom, but they always bloom for me.

Good luck,
Norma Jane

---

From: [email-masked] (DTDerekson)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 20:22:55 -0500

Mine seems to only bloom every other year.  Any way to make this an annual
event? I put them outside and fertilize heavily until fall when I bring
them in, cut off the leaves and let them rest in the dark for six weeks,
after which I take them out and hope for blooms for Christmas.  Maybe my
pot is too big (10")? (Can I take off the side shoots and make new bulbs?)

---

From: [email-masked] (DTDerekson)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 20:22:55 -0500