Subject: Bugs, bugs, bugs!

From: [email-masked] (Jim Smith)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 16:15:47 GMT

Newsgroups: ncf.sigs.gardening
Subject: Bugs, bugs and more bugs!
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Jim Smith)
References: 
Organization: The National Capital FreeNet

We have six raised garden beds in which we raise vegetables, herbs and
flowers.  Although we had an excellent crop last year, we lost a lot of it to
the local bugs.  They were really invasive and did a lot of damage,
especially to the tomates, peppers, beans and basil. I would like some
help identifying them and ideas for controlling them.  We till and compost
our soil each year.  We do not use mulch.  We are reluctant to use
pesticides but have used retenone (spelling?) which does not seem to help
much.

All the plants seem to be affected by the same culprit which leaves round
holes in the fruit or vegetable.  The leaves may also be affected, but not
usually.  I suspect earwigs, slugs or caterpillars. We have two types of
caterpillars.  One is a slate gray color; the other is brown with yellow
stripes and fuzzy.

Our flowers were invaded by small, black flying insects. They were shiny, 
about a 1/4 inch long and seemed to have a hard shell.  They particuly
liked the blossoms on the basil and yarrow but were generally everywhere. 

Any ideas or solutions?

Barbara (not Jim)
--
.