Subject: Re: After daffodils - what to plant? Help!

From: [email-masked] (C. Richard Wrathall)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 12:55:09 EST

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Joe Barretta) writes:
 
>
>Does anyone have ideas of what will grow well in a daffodil bed after
>the daffodils bloom?  My problem is that I like to leave the daffodil
>leaves intact so they will fertilize next year's bloom. I am looking for
>ideas on what to plant for summer without disturbing the soil too much.
>I've tried cosmos with a little success. It's a pretty sunny spot, but
>the soil isn't great. I don't want to dig up the bulbs. Any suggestions?
 
I have had good success with perennial Chrysanthemums in a plot with at
least 50 daffodils. As the leaves of the daffodils start to die back,
the mums are starting to come up. The only thing that I do to this plot
is to pinch the mums to keep them low and bushy. I usually fertilize with
a high potassium fertilizer at the end of the daffodil flowering, and with
relatively high organic nitrogen fertilizer (compost, etc. in the very late
fall. This has given me a flowering bed in both spring and fall, and with
very little work.
                        Dick Wrathall

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Cheung)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 16:03:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Joe Barretta) writes:
>the daffodils bloom?

Daylilies !

In my case I planted Stella D'Oro daylilies among my daffies.  Highly
reccomendable since they bloom from late spring till frost.

I am in zone 7, clay soil with peat and compost, west facing bed.

+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|          Edward Cheung, Ph.D.         |  The opinions expressed herein    |
|Satellite Servicing Robotics Laboratory|    do not necessarily reflect     |
|    NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   |       those of my employers'      |
|         Code 714.1, Bldg T11B         |                                   |
|          Greenbelt, MD 20771          |                                   |
|   301-286-1269(office) 286-1717(fax)  |  My next book:                    |
| Internet: [email-masked] | Statistics, Demos and Other Lies  |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Kirby W. Fong)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 18:51:27 GMT

Although I have not tried it myself, I have heard from other daffodil growers
that an overplanting of marigolds is appropriate.  Marigolds do two beneficial
things.  One is that they shade the soil so it doesn't get so hot.  The other
is that they can be grown relatively dry so that they pull water away from
the daffodil bulbs.  Bulbs that are warm and moist are more likely to rot.
I suppose you could use any other annual that does not require much moisture.

     Kirby Fong      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sullivan)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 10:01:37 GMT

>Does anyone have ideas of what will grow well in a daffodil bed after 

Daylillies.  It's all perennial that way.

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Woodka)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 19:56:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Daylillies.  It's all perennial that way.

In the gardening section of the San Diego Union this week there was a blurb
about a product from White Swan Ltd. called "Flowering Companions for Bulbs".
It's a shake-and-scatter mixture of annuals that grows as the bulbs start to 
die back and covers them up. The mix includes dianthus and Shirley poppies
and is supposed to retail for $7.99. You might ask your local nursery about it
and see if they carry it or could order it for you.

Donna Woodka       | "Our deepest fears are like dragons guarding
[email-masked]    |  our deepest treasure."  --Ranier Maria Rilke

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sullivan)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 10:01:37 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Woodka)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 19:56:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Schroeder)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 15:35:42 GMT

I am just now starting shasta daisies and coreopsis (double yellow)
under growing lights to place out in my new entrance garden where the
daffodils are beginning to poke up.

My hope is that these perennials will fill in during the late spring and
early summer... maybe even flower later in the summer.  I plan to set
them out at the end of April or early May (zone 6/7).

Am I making a mistake?

--
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ray Schroeder		    Associate Professor of Communication
    Sangamon State University	    Director of Television Office
    Springfield, Illinois 62794     217-786-6799  fax=217-786-6542
      	           Internet=[email-masked] 
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=T=

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 20:32:38 -0500

Yes, Daylillies are good.  Also, what about Iris?

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 09:54:01 -0500

japanese anemones work well in my garden. the leaves start to get big
about the time you need to hide your daff foliage.

tigibson

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 21:27:41 -0500

Your coreopsis should flower all summer.  My Shasta Daisies flower in mid
June and again in August.