Subject: Re: Pruning Crepe Myrtles

From: Roz Garland <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Feb 1995 05:45:20 GMT

Regarding the pruning and mildew problems of crepe myrtles:
   According to our local gardening guru (Dallas, Tx area----Neil 
Sperry and Howard Garrett) you really should not cut any limbs or 
branches that are bigger than a pencil.  But I have seen people 
do so with no harm to the crepe.
    I had two quite large cm's next to my house, and couldn't 
figure out why they got powdery mildew so badly----the leaves 
would turn white, then black, and no blooms.  So I asked the 
county extension agent.  Problem was that they were in the drip 
line of the house, and the place that they were planted did not 
provide enough air circulation for them.  So if their roots stay 
relatively wet, you probably will have a problem with powdery 
mildew.  I dug them up 2 weeks ago and transplanted them to a new 
location with good drainage.  I hope they SURVIVE!  Everyone 
assures me that they are very hardy and tough!
Good luck!
Roz Garland