Subject: Re: COMMUNITY GARDENS

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 03:29:00 GMT

PP> who owns the land that you garden on? i have my eye on the vacant
PP> lot next to my building with the hope that i can start a community
PP> garden on it one day. the city (chicago) says that i can't purchase
PP> the lot until it gets

Can't you find out who currently owns the land and ask them for 
permission to plant on it?

 * RM 1.3 01256 * Become a SYSOP and never see the world!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (joyce moty)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 17:45:53 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Simons Fam) 
writes: 

>
>I run a community garden in California.  I would be interested in 
talking
>to any community gardeners out there in order to compare notes on how 
you
>do things.  In particular I would like to get some ideas on how other
>community gardens share composting duties and the resulting compost.  
We
>have one pile and 52 gardeners!!!!!
>
>Thanks,
>Kay Simons
>

I am a member of the Seattle P-Patch Program, a city-sponsored rent a 
garden.  In addition to paying for a garden, each gardener must put in a 
minimum of eight volunteer hours to maintain the garden; this includes 
compost duty.  One of the best ways to spread the compost message is to 
have a regularly scheduled work party:  groups of gardeners chop, pile 
and turn the material on a regular basis.  It is a good time to meet 
other gardeners and share tips as well as enhancing the garden soil.