Subject: Re: How about artichokes in Zone 7?

From: [email-masked] (MarlaP1041)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 20:01:59 -0500

I started my artichokes without chilling the seeds and they came up fine.
About a month old, they are almost 6 inches tall and are developing spines
on the leaves. Can't wait!

---

From: [email-masked] (StanfordLG)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 00:16:53 -0500

I tried growing some artichokes up here in Zone 5.  I heard it was
possible....  The plants were very successful last summer and were quite
impressive, but of course did not provide any "fruit."  I wasn't sure how
to keep them over the winter, and unfortunately let them get burried in
the snow last October.  I would like to try again, and need some guidance:

Will last years plants come up on their own this spring, or do I need to
get new ones?

If I start some new ones how can I keep them alive through next winter?

Will they ever provide food in Zone 5?

Any information would be helpful........

Stanford

PS - Did anyone see this months Gardens Illustrated?  How 'bout them
Himalayan Blue Poppies?  I found a local supplier for these seeds, but I
have been told that they do not germinate very well.  Anyone know of any
stock that I can get my hands on?  Are they hardy in Zone 5 (I am assuming
they are)?
 Stanford L. Gnagy - [email-masked] - FAX.303.321.0591
 1272 Columbine Street Unit B, Denver, Colorado 80206-3109