Subject: BARREL COMPOSTERS... EFFE

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 01:19:00 +0600

Mark Stephens writes:
References: <[email-masked]> 

MS> Having a bad back is a real bummer when it comes to turning the
MS> compost pile.  So, how good are those Kemp type tumble composters?
MS> Are they worth the bucks and how much compost can they actually
MS> crank out?

Here is a note I posted some time back on the Kemp tumbler.
Maybe some of these suggestions will help. Personally, I find
the small tumblers to be just that - small. They simply do not
hold enough mass to retain heat. The commercial starers do no
harm, but don't expect them to do much good. Try using 30% old
compost, or leaf mould to start the culture. I don't recommend
turning the bin or tumbler more than twice in a week, and then
only one or two revolutions. With a larger tumbler, turning more
often may help. Try to fill it 90% full as well

Kemp's tumbler holds more than twice as much as the "can do" and
other small tumblers. It costs almost four times as much, at
last count just under $400. The Kemp drive gear, which works on
the principle of a gear on an engine fly wheel, is an effective
turning mechanism. When full, the tumbler can be hard to turn,
leading some to wish for an electric drive. I am not sold on the
idea of leaving an extension cord outside for extended periods,
however. 

Agitation does increase decomposition rate over static,
passive piles. Tumblers are no faster, however, than well mixed, active,
self aerating piles made on the batch system. When I tested the
Kemp, I found it easy to assemble and operate. I like the
fiberglass housing better than steel. It is still fairly heavy
to turn and most people will not fill it more than 1/2 full. The
process still requires attention such as carbon to nitrogen
ratio, moisture, bulking material for air, old compost
inoculant, regular addition of fresh material, and removal of
old. 

Some people find the height that you have to lift to fill
the drum a nuisance. Others liked the removable gate that can
fill a wheel barrow. The new screening feature is interesting,
but I am sure that most people will find it only marginally
usefull since fresh compost screens poorly and the Kemp is not
designed for long retention time that leads to a crumbly compost
that can be fine screened. Loading and unloading just to screen
may be more trouble than it is worth. If you have extra money
burning a hole in your pocket and can't or won't learn active
composting, then a tumbler may be just what you are looking for.

Mr Compost~~~

Jim~ McNelly
[email-masked]

 * RM 1.3 02460 * What's all this fuss about endangered feces?

------------------============<>=============-----------------
   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines
   Email: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
------------------============<>=============-----------------