Subject: Re: Yellowwood Tree - What is it?

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 19:00:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John
Woodworth) wrote:

> Has anyone any experience with the yellowood tree? ...

John-

There is an article about yellowwood on page 30 of the new (April) Fine
Gardening magazine; also has a picture of the tree in bloom...

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum

---

From: [email-masked] (John Woodworth)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 12:15:59

Has anyone any experience with the yellowood tree? I'm looking for an 
unusual ornamental tree for my front yard. A friend recommended yellowood, but 
I have never seen one. 

Is it easy to grow? If you have one, would you recommend it? 

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Imitation is the sincerest form of parody."

                         Richard Corliss
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 15:00:26 GMT

Woodworth) wrote:

> Has anyone any experience with the yellowood .....

John- 

Cladrastis kentukea, yellowwod, is indeed a beautiful native tree, but in
order to recommend you grow it I would need more information.  What zone
are you in?  Whatt is your soil like?  How big/small an area do you have? 
What kind of tree are you looking for?....Any information would help...

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum

---

From: Sean Callahan <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 1995 06:53:38 GMT

[email-masked] (John Woodworth) wrote:
>
> Has anyone any experience with the yellowood tree?

John,

Point your Web browser to:

http://bigmouth.pathfinder.com/vg/TimeLife/CG/Books/E02/Html/E02066X.html

That's in our online encyclopedia. The tree library hasn't been added
yet (that's a couple of weeks away) but this went in under
another listing earlier this year. There are only about 50 trees in
the encyclopedia at the moment.

Allbest,

Sean Callahan
Time Life Digital

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Huber)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 12:06:22 -0800

I'm growing Cladrastis lutea, the Yellowood, in my Zone 9 garden in a 
cold microclimate of the San Francisco Bay Area.  It's been a very slow 
grower for me (in my case, this is good), and has flowered every spring.  
The flowering display doesn't seem to last very long, though I haven't 
documented my impressions.

It's attractive all year, but I'm disappointed in the fall color in my 
area as I had hoped for the brilliant yellow fall foliage I thought it was 
capable of displaying.  

Jan Mountjoy

John Woodworth ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Has anyone any experience with the yellowood tree? I'm looking for an 
: unusual ornamental tree for my front yard. A friend recommended yellowood, but 
: I have never seen one. 

: Is it easy to grow? If you have one, would you recommend it? 

: John

: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: "Imitation is the sincerest form of parody."

:                          Richard Corliss
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Huber)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 12:06:22 -0800

Jan Mountjoy

: John

:                          Richard Corliss