Subject: Re: Least liked plant

From: [email-masked] (KATHY FLORITTO)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 08:52:00 -0800

SM|>In article <19950208.7AEA3B0.1337B#msbbs.com>, [email-masked] (Ruth
  |>Evans) wrote:
  |>
  |>> This may be a strange topic, but what is your least liked plant?  What
  |>> plant that with the mere mention of it makes you want to head for the
  |>> round-up or wish that you could add every last one of them to the
  |>> compost pile?

     Comfrey.  I used to think it was "runaway mint" (you know - the 
kind you forget to put a header around when you stick it in the 
ground), but Comfrey beats that by a country mile.

                              KATHY

 * 1st 2.00b #3640 * [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (richard ploch)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 16:18:38 GMT

Those hitch hiker seed things. BLAST!

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Beer)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 09:31:46 GMT

This sounds like Brugmannsia, or "angel's trumpet."  It used to be 
classified as a Datura but the woody species have reclassified.  There 
are many species, from the white to yellow to orange and red.  Great 
plants.  I wish they were hardy here....

bob

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>with respect to least liked plants, sdb writes:
> <...and for a week after trimming barberry, any kind of barberry,
> >little thorns would fester out of my skin.
>
>Sounds like my hands, when I once tripped and fell into stinging nettle.
>Interesting, vigorous plant-- gruesome effect!
>
>Which leads me to another plant and a question:
>
>I manage two apartment buildings in West Los Angeles, and next door to
>one of my buildings is a flowering tree of some kind that overhangs my
>building's walkway.  It's a weedy kind of tree, not very full in
>foliage, however once every one and a half months or so in this mild
>climate, the tree bursts (almost literally) into six to ten inch long
>white trumpet shaped flowers.  It has a faint heady scent, kind of like
>a watered down version of a Casablanca lily grown from a bulb.
>
>What *is* this tree?  I haven't any objections to the tree, quite the
>contrary-- I'd just like to know!
>
>Thanks....
>
>k. jolley-williams
>
>
>--
>    [*]   Message Origin:  KBBS Los Angeles!  74 Access Lines   [*]
>    [*]   (818) 886-0872 or Telnet 204.96.25.7  [email-masked]   [*]
>
>
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Beer)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 01:24:04 GMT

You know people who intentionally plant it?  I know many who have it and 
leave it there (like my two next-door neighbors...:(  ), but never knew 
anyone to actually bring the stuff in.  I am surprised that it isn't on 
the list of noxious weeds that are illegal to grow.  Maybe because 
getting people to eradicate it would be too difficult.  

Broom on the other hand...there are some really nice brooms out there, 
and not all are nasty.  Weaver's broom (Spartium juncaeum) comes to mind 
- non invasive, delicious sweet smell, (not the choking smell of scotch 
broom), and brilliant yellow flowers.  I not only grow it, I propagate 
it!  :)

bob

In article <[email-masked]>,
sonny hays-eberts <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>convulvus sepium. hedge bindweed. i would be happy if it were endangered,
>nay extinct. and that people intentionally plant it amazes me to no end.
>it's a step below finding broom for sale at a nursery even.
>
>-- 
>albert einstein nailed space-time
>but the wild thing had him stumped
>al baby, two and two make five and a quarter
>that's why people fall in love
>            -- t. dolby
>
>sonny hays-eberts
>[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 95 12:30:14

>Here's another plant for your least-liked category - yews. Yews is
>yucky! They also sprawl and everyone in the suburban midwest seems to
>have them growing in front of their houses. Ugly, ugly, ugly. To me, th
>only good shrub is a flowering shrub!

Isn't it funny how one man's pest is another one's treasured memory?  My
grandma from Germany always used to send us a small branch from a tree
with Christmas ribbon around it at Christmas time.  We always put it up
as a Christmas decoration.  Later as an adult, I moved into a rental
house that had the same kind of plant at the back door.  After several
inquiries, I found out it was a yew.  As a result of early childhood
memories, a yew has WONDERFUL memories for me!

Ruth Evans
     __             ___        __
__  ////\  /\/\  /\/ _//\ __  /// | Anne McCaffrey: Master Word Crafter|
\\\//// '\/    \/ / /\/ '\\\\///  | Princess:  Cutest Wiggle Tail Ever!|
 \XX/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\__/\/\/ \XX/   | [email-masked] or [email-masked] |

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott shy)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 95 15:10:10 EST

Here's another plant for your least-liked category - yews. Yews is
yucky! They also sprawl and everyone in the suburban midwest seems to
have them growing in front of their houses. Ugly, ugly, ugly. To me, the
only good shrub is a flowering shrub!

Gateway Online ... 38 Line Multi-user Interactive Information System
Taylor, Michigan - (313)291-5571 2400 baud (313)291-5571 9600 baud
Sysops: Bill Mullen - Jeff Breitner

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott shy)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 95 15:10:10 EST