Subject: COMPOSTING FOR MOUNTAINOU

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 01:19:00 +0600

Brad Bush writes:
References: <[email-masked]> 

BB> Our soil is essentially mountainous (we've cleared the rocks, etc)
BB> where Evergreens used to grow. We are composting in order to grow
BB> vegetables. We been adding peat moss and any black earth that we can
BB> find. Can you give us any hints?

Hi Brad,

I have "created" instant topsoil in mountainous areas before, but 
basically on the raised bed theory. We hauled in hundreds of cubic 
yards of "potting soil siftings" from my bagging operation. It was very 
coarse, but was sold cheap, since it is a byproduct that would need 
additional shredding and processing.

At one home, we built soil on top of solid rock, forming it in with 
concrete and blocks. The fellow put sod on top and had instant grass 
where there was granite only days before.

When you say "mountainous", do you mean decomposed granite, shale, rock, 
or what? Soils that can be worked can be improved by adding compost, 
which will make your organic matter go further. In large jobs, it is 
less costly to have the organic matter hauled in using 40 yd3 
truckloads, then spread it with a skid steer loader.

It sounds like you have quite a challenge on your hands.

Mr Compost~~~

Jim~ McNelly
[email-masked]

 * RM 1.3 02460 * What's that light in the sky!?...ITS A %$@*NO CARRIER

------------------============<>=============-----------------
   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines
   Email: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
------------------============<>=============-----------------