Subject: Is there a tissue culture expert in the house?

From: [email-masked] (Lynsey Gedye)
Date: 20 Feb 95 22:45:21 GMT-12

Just back from crushing an african violet under the heel
  of my sabot...

  Pray tell, gentle netoids, is it true that tissue culture
  of plants can be carried out at the kitchen table using care,
  simple, household chemicals and a certain amount of expertise;
  or is it strictly for mega-sterile lab conditions filled with
  white-coated genius types who've never actually seen dirt?

  Please, share your experience.

--
[email-masked]

---

From: Jennifer Costello <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Feb 1995 18:12:20 GMT

Re:Is there a tissue culture expert in the house?

I'm not a tissue culture expert but if you have access to the WWW, there
is an address you can access:

aggie.horticulture.tamu.edu/tisscult/tcintro.html

This subgroup is under the Texas A & M Horticulture page.

Good luck.

J.Costello
(The worst Texas has to offer - Phil Gramm)

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory Koob)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 15:41:12 GMT

Lynsey Gedye ([email-masked]) wrote:
:   Just back from crushing an african violet under the heel
:   of my sabot...

:   Pray tell, gentle netoids, is it true that tissue culture
:   of plants can be carried out at the kitchen table using care,
:   simple, household chemicals and a certain amount of expertise;
:   or is it strictly for mega-sterile lab conditions filled with
:   white-coated genius types who've never actually seen dirt?

:   Please, share your experience.

: --
: [email-masked]

Hey, I run a tissue culture lab here in Hawaii set up to propagate
endangered hawaiian plants and I work in a converted cottage, don't
even own a white coat, am hardly a genius, and have seen plenty of
dirt in my time. :P

Yes you can do tissue culture in your kitchen as you described.  Pototo
farmers in the midwest U.S. started out that way when producing disease
free plants for "seed" production.  But why do you want to.  Tissue culture
produces a lot of plants (potentially) and even when done in the kitchen
is a lot more work than taking a cutting or planting a seed.  I haven't done
it in a kitchen myself but there are references out there on the methods
and materials needed.

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynsey Gedye)
Date: 4 Mar 95 18:21:53 GMT-12

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Christine Owens) writes:
>Just what are you trying to culture? 

  Aquatic plants, emphasising nuphar and nymphaea species.

>I would suggest doing a literature
>search for specific methods appropriate to the species of 
>plant you are trying to propagate.

  Whew-ee, Chris, them's big words for us country folks.
  Does that mean, go to the library and shake loose a
  book or two, or something more complex like global grep?

  Thanks for your encouragment either way.

--
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynsey Gedye)
Date: 4 Mar 95 18:21:53 GMT-12

--
[email-masked]