Subject: Re: I need nitrogen?!?

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 1995 08:06:49 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, bajones@astro (Ebeth Jones) wrote:

>  Well, I have a couple of
> inches of shredded pine mulch piled around in various places,
> but I think it would be nice if someday they became soil.  But
> do I really need to add nitrogen, and how do I go about doing this?

manure one of the best sources of nitrogen around. and since i have
chickens, that's the one i use. you can purchase bags of composted chicken
or steer manure at most gardening places. you don't truly need it - wood
products rob the soil of nitrogen as they decay, but it is eventually
replaced. it might help the process speed along though.

be aware that pine needles are pretty acidic. once it does break down into
soil you may either want to plant acid loving plants there or maybe lime it
to make it more neutral. you can have the soil pH tested at an extension
office or with a diy soil test kit.

-- 
there is no sign of warning in the sirens call
welcome, we are the lamia  -- genesis

sonny hays-eberts
[email-masked]

---

From: Bryce Grevemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Mar 1995 17:48:32 GMT

bajones@astro (Ebeth Jones) wrote:
>
> .......guy on a gardening show talking about mulch.  He
> said that mulch made from shredded bark is not an especially
> good thing to put around your plants because it doesn't break
> down on its own, .........
> ...................................  Well, I have a couple of
> but I think it would be nice if someday they became soil.  
> -- 
> Elizabeth Jones         E-MAIL: [email-masked]

The pine mulch will eventually break down.  Because it is
high in carbon, and low in nitrogen, the bacteria that break things
down are not very happy, and thus do not respond in an enthusiastic
manner.

If you are in a hurry, you can mix in some green grass clippings,
or green weeds that you have pulled up, or you can buy some high
nitrogen fertilizer.  If you are not in a hurry, just relax and 
let nature take care of it.

"Mature" compost is a stage in the process of decomposition.
The "final" stage of the compost is when it reaches carbon dioxide,
and blows away.  It would seem that material that takes a long time
to reach the "mature" stage, will also take a long time to move on
to the CO2 stage.

If you turn bark chips into the soil, ( ie  with a spade) at worst, 
they cause your plants no more aggravation than pebbles of the 
same size.  However, unlike pebbles, the bark DOES hold water,  
releasing it slowly to the soil.  It does provide channels in clay
soil for water (and air) to get below the surface rather than running 
off, and does provide a large surface area (relative to the pebble) 
for bacterial action.  

Left on top it prevents erosion, and helps keep the water in one 
place long enough for it to sink in.

Relax and enjoy, nature will take care of it in time 

                                     (her time, not your)      :-)

        Cheers

			Bryce