Subject: Re: tomatoes in container? How deep?

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 16 Feb 1995 08:09:01 GMT

Sounds like root-knot nematodes to me.  Try growing your
tomatoes somewhere else for a couple os seasons.

Good luck.

Chris Owens

True.  However, the SF Bay Area seems to be rife with soil-borne 
>diseases, like Fusarium and Verticilium wilts, Nematodes, etc.  
>
>I have never had any luck at all with tomatoes here.  They grow
>like gangbusters for the first half of the season, set tons of 
>fruit, then sort of wither away from the top down, and the fruit
>are small, hard and tough-skinned.  I grow only varieties that
>are resistant to everything on earth, but they still do 
>badly.  Anyone know what the problem might be?  (I dug up
>the plants at the end of the season, and the roots seemed 
>kind of knotty.  (They knotted up at the base of the stem
>but sent out a few nice, undeformed long roots as well.)
>
>Dawn in Palo Alto, CA
>
>