Subject: dutch iris

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 15:02:17 -0500

i have 2 groups of these bulbs (not the tubers of bearded iris) in
different parts of  my garden. this will be their third full summer. the
foliage that has grown up with winter show that they'll be back! do i ever
have to divide these bulbs? any dutch iris growers input will be welcomed.
tigibson

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Wilson)
Date: 2 Mar 95 19:49:25 -0500

> have to divide these bulbs? any dutch iris growers input will be welcomed.
**
Dutch irises can go undisturbed and make nice little clumps that will
do well for five or ten years under favorable conditions.

If you want to divide them, do it after the tops brown in the summer.
The little bulblets can be broken off.  Choose to treat them with a
fungicide or insecticide or not, according to your beliefs, and replant
them about 3" deep in light or medium-light soil--a good dry baking period 
in the summer helps to keep them healthy.  Or, you can store them in dry 
sand until planting time some time around the first frost in the fall.  
The new ones will bloom maybe the second or third year if all goes well.

                                --Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Wilson)
Date: 2 Mar 95 19:49:25 -0500

**

                                --Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Tania Velinsky (R))
Date: 8 Mar 1995 19:47:29 GMT

Question:

I bought some Dutch Iris bulbs last fall, however, wasn't quick enough
to get them in the ground before the snow fell.  Can I plant them in the
spring/summer and have them bloom in the spring of 96, or do I have to
wait until the fall to plant them?

Please e-mail me,

Tania