Subject: Bunch of ??? about starting seeds

From: [email-masked] (Frances Whited, 216/569-5291)
Date: 6 Mar 95 16:24:39 -0400

I'm about to attempt my first foray into starting seeds indoors and have
a couple of questions.

1. I don't have lots of $$$ to invest in heating mats, so what are some
suggestions for other ways to keep the flats warm until the seeds germinate.
For example, I have an electric oil-filled radiator that I could position near
the flats. (It gives off pretty low, even heat.)

2. I have some sterile seed starting mixture left over from last year (OK,
I did successfully start some herb seeds last year. The fact that my husband
let them fry one day while I was trying to harden them off is immaterial!) Is
the sterile mixture still sterile or should I buy new? Also should I/how can
I sterilize last year's plastic pots I was hoping to reuse.

3. I have read that nasturtiums don't transplant well, but I was hoping I
could either A) start them in peat pots that could be planted without
distrubing the roots, or B) bring the window boxes that I was going to
plant them in inside and go ahead and start them in there. What do you
think?

Thanks for any advice you have for me.

Frances