Subject: Blue Gramma Grass seedheads???

From: [email-masked] (Nancy Roberts)
Date: 19 Feb 95 21:51:42 MDT

The local extensions agents are suggesting (among others) blue
gramma grass as a good alternative to kentucky bluegrass, for 
both it's wear-ability and drought tolerance.  I've been
considering putting it in at least one area--my dog's run.
I'm a bit concerned about the seedheads, though.  The books
i've read say they are "1/2 inch curved" rather pretty...
I need to know if they're hard and sharp, or soft and
feathery. I'm concerned that if I let the grass get long
enough (12"???) to go to seed, and the seeds are hard/sharp,
I'll have dogs with seeds stuck in their sinuses or in between
the pads of their paws.  Has anyone ever seen/felt these seed 
heads?  Can you describe them for me? (nb I realize that I 
could just keep the stuff mowed and not worry about it, but
the chances of that happening with all the other stuff to
worry about around the yard are kindof slim.)

nancy
Logan, UT Zone 4
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 02:33:38 -0500

Hi Nancy,

They are soft and feathery seedheads.  I started some on a section of my
parents' lawn last year.  It was sown in July, but had flowered and set
seed by the end of the growing season.  Neat stuff!

Good luck!

-- Eric Johnson