Subject: Re: Nasturiums

From: [email-masked] (Kezia K)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 11:13:25 -0500

I guess I missed most of this thread. I like nasturiums too, but have
always found them to be aphid magnets.  And the aphids are the nasty
looking black kind, too.  I don't use sprays routinely, so if I don't go
out there and wash off the leaves regularly, goodbye plants.  I lost my
whole planting last year because I was pregnant and not up to washing
nasturiums in 90 degree weather!

KeziaK

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 19 Feb 1995 20:26:15 GMT

Kezia K ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I guess I missed most of this thread. I like nasturiums too, but have
: always found them to be aphid magnets.  And the aphids are the nasty
: looking black kind, too.  I don't use sprays routinely, so if I don't go
: out there and wash off the leaves regularly, goodbye plants.  I lost my
: whole planting last year because I was pregnant and not up to washing
: nasturiums in 90 degree weather!

: KeziaK

Yeah! Last summer I planted them and they were covered completely with those
aphids! I really tried to pick them off but they would come back stronger than
ever. One question, I live in Washington, DC where the summers are hot and humid.
Is this hard on nasturtium. I expected them to take over the planter I had them in,
but they never got past the aphids.

You think I should try again? I grew them once as a child.

Lisa Jeter
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 17:02:06 -0500

i am totally in love with these plants. i've only grown the climbing ones,
but this year i ordered two other kinds of seeds (peaches and cream being
one of them.)
my only problem is leaf miners (these pests like my columbine leaves too.)
last year i planted them around my deck. two vines went under my porch &
up through the slats right next to my back door! my deck was nasturtum
heaven.
i love their blooms (try the bright orange ones with blue forget-me-nots).
but the leaves themselves are the most attractive foliage i've ever grown.
tigibson

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 19:13:34 -0500

Aphids, Huh?  Boy, I guess I've been lucky.  Never had them in all these
years.  Keeping fingers crossed