Subject: Re: Dogtooth

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Mar 95 20:47:44 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Tony Kingsbury) writes:
> Hi!
>    Could anyone tell me, please, what dogtooth violets are, and what
> soil/conditions they like? I've been given some bulbs.....& they are
> obviously no relation of ordinary violets. Any information would be much
> appreciated.
>            
Sounds like you've got some _Erythronium_ (air-eh-THRONE-ih-um) bulbs,
also known as fawn lily, trout lily, and several other names depending
on species.  These are members of the lily family, spring blooming
mostly, and have white, yellow or pink flowers and rather fleshy,
speckled leaves-- hence the names "trout" or "fawn".  Most of them
are smallish... 6-8" tall, and like rich organic soils in semi-shade to
full shade.  These are typically woodland plants.

When they bloom for you, try matching the pictures in Phillips and Rix's
_Bulbs_ (Random House).  There'll be some good information in there.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Kingsbury)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 23:33:25 GMT

Hi!
            Thanks