Subject: Re: amaryllis question

From: [email-masked] (Arthur J. Bieker)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 04:55:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (DTDerekson) 
writes: > Mine seems to only bloom every other year.  Any way to make this an
annual > event? I put them outside and fertilize heavily until fall when I
bring > them in, cut off the leaves and let them rest in the dark for six
weeks, > after which I take them out and hope for blooms for Christmas.  Maybe 
my > pot is too big (10")? (Can I take off the side shoots and make new
bulbs?) > 

I allow the bloom to die and then fertlize with one of the water solubile
fertlizer and then withdraw water and allow the leaves to die off.  During
this process the plant is absorbing the nutrients.  I stick the dry bulb in
the garage where it is mostly cool and dark for a time and then take it out. 
Mine is just coming back after being put up last fall (I forgot it!) I am
watering it now and it is sending out a flower stalk so all is well.  I would
never cut off the leaves until they have shriveled. 

Arthur J. Bieker
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 04:36:48 GMT

Hey Chris - I heard it a little differently;  I agree with
everything you wrote except for when it came to getting it
ready to bloom again.

I've read you cut off the leaves aprox 1" from bulb; allow it
to sit in a dim lighted location with no water/no fertilizer
for about a month to rest.  Then bring it out, give it a good
dose of bone meal and start watering/fertilizing again.

I made the *mistake* or unpotting mine after the rest; took
it probably half again as long to bloom this time round;  I
am thinking that this year I'm not going to uproot it after summer,
just cut it back, rest it and then try to get it to bloom
again.

I've got 3 red ones going right now - they are a pain in the
neck, but those flowers are glorious, aren't they?

Julie

---

From: [email-masked] (Arthur J. Bieker)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 04:55:50 GMT

Arthur J. Bieker
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 04:36:48 GMT

Julie