Subject: Martha-bashing

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Dumych)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 15:26:41 GMT

Martha offers us a wealth of useful if not stimulating information
in readily accessable sources.  She makes no secret of the fact that
she AND HER STAFF complete the wide range of projects she presents.
If people would use this information as a tool instead of feeling as
though they need to compete with her there wouldn't be such a need to
put her down. When you read the articles in this forum I am sure you
don't feel you have to achieve each and every tip listed. The same goes
for Martha.  Quit feeling inadequate and just enjoy the benefits of her
(and her staff's) hard work!

Laurel Dumych
--
=================================================================
Daniel M. Dumych          | "The whole earth is full of monuments
[email-masked] | to nameless inventors."  Otis T. Mann

---

From: Neil McLaughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 18:48:36 GMT

Here, here I feel the same way. Martha is cool:)
I have a question to ask those who don't like Martha. If you can't stand
her why do you bother to seek her out, and don't say you were channel
surfing and she just happened to be on,(no one had a gun to your head,
and the controls weren't misplaced or the pages to the magazine got stuck
and that was all I could read at the doctors office).Has she ever been
discredited by a repected authority in the field of gardening? I have
used many of her gardening tip and have found her information accurate
and useful. 
Why waste your time being negative? Martha's e-mail address is:
([email-masked]) I'm sure she or her staff would appreciate any
constructive critisism you send their way.
Samantha McLaughlin

---

From: Neil McLaughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 18:48:36 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Meliva)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 11:50:08 -0500

[email-masked] writes:

>>And frankly, I *do* detect a note of contempt from her if you don't do
>>things exactly the way she proposes, in other words, no shortcuts. 

How many times has she gotten out that glue gun rather than a needle and
thread?  Maybe I'm an over-functioner, but I see her taking lots of
shortcuts.

KT Lyons

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 95 13:00:57 -0500

>surfing and she just happened to be on,(no one had a gun to your head,
 
I watched her show on a recommendation from someone else.  To her credit,
she does show *how* to do things.  But whether those things are useful
or not is a whole other subject.  I have never ever read the magazine.
 
Let's face it, to do most of her projects requires both lots of time and
lots of money.  Most of us who have to work for a living sometimes have
the money but hardly ever the time.  Heck, most of the time those of
us who have to work for a living don't have the money either!
 
And frankly, I *do* detect a note of contempt from her if you don't do
things exactly the way she proposes, in other words, no shortcuts.  Now,
compare Martha to hmmm.... let's say Nathalie Dupree (PBS - Nathalie
Dupree Cooks).  Martha says "If you don't do this project in this
exceptionally time-consuming manner, it will be worthless even if it
looks exactly right".  Nathalie says "Of course you could buy this
ingredient from the store already prepared.  It is better if you
prepare it yourself but you can use the store bought one as long
as you don't tell me".  So, I continue to watch Nathalie's show when
I have the time (ha!).
 
Of course, Martha's gardens are fabulous.  Mine would be too if I had
an entire staff slaving over them.  Hmmm... come to think of it, mind
(ARRRGH -- typo) make that "mine" don't look too shabby, either,
despite the lack of professional staff doting over them ;-).  I guess
Nature does a pretty good job by herself with minimal help (read
"hindering") from me.
 
ObGarden:  I got my seed order from Park's yesterday.  Can spring be
far behind?  :-)
 
Mary McHugh