Subject: Mold invasion

From: [email-masked] (Glenn T. Welsh)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 18:37:32 GMT

I beleive all your 'mold' problems are a thing called 'dappening off' !  Try 
this; be sure your planting medium has super drainage (add lots of 
vermiculite). The ready to use plant/seed starter mediums are not recommended. 
Use one part peat to four parts vermiculite. The top layer of your flat/pot or 
whatever your going to plant your seeds in should be 100% vermiculite (1/4
inch for seeds that do not need light to germinate) . You will have to water 
more often, because the mixture will not hold moisture for long perids, but
the fungi have a difficult time starting. The top layer will dry quickly 
preventing the mold from starting.  The above mix is good for plastic pots, 
where you don't have the natural evaporation like you get with clay pots. If 
you're using clay pots to start seeds, then, a little more peat will do. 

If you're starting under lights, cover with plastic to hold moisture until the 
little beggers sprout. Then remove the plastic. Don't let them dry out, but 
don't drown them either. Start feeding a soluable plant food mixed at one
tenth the recommended solution. As they grow larger, water from the bottom if 
possible, misting the top layer of soil (vermiculite) every few days (again, 
don't over do it! For some reason folks have a tendency to overwater seeds
started indoors. 
GTW