Subject: Heat & Light for Seeds

From: "J. Conybeare" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 11:46:31 -0600

Am I naive to think that old fashioned rubber heating pads filled with hot
water a few times a day would aid germination?  All I've ever done till
now has been given them all some time on top of the water heater or
operating clothes dryer.  After germination they go under fluorescent
lights.  No pampering.  No thermostats or timers.  They
all seem to germinate eventually.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Mar 95 20:16:01 -0600

> all seem to germinate eventually. 

Seeds have an optimum temperature for germination, and what the optimum
is depends on the species of the plant.  One of the common temps for 
germination of common vegetable garden plants and annuals is 25oC, 77o,
or 20/30oC, 68oF night, 86oF day.  In general, seeds will germinate
more slowly at lower temperatures, but they will indeed grow.  Too warm
a temp may cause the seed not to germinate at all.

Actually, at home, I start seedlings on top of the refrigerator.  The
heat from the motor seems to be about right for most common seeds.  
After they germinate, they move to the dining room table, about 15oF
cooler, and after they've got a couple of sets of true leaves, out to
the sunporch (unheated).

Kay Klier   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Mar 95 20:16:01 -0600