Subject: Re: rec.gardens.organic...Opinions??

From: [email-masked] (Fellwalker)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 08:33:30 GMT

Adam Finkelstein ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, Fellwalker <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >
: >   I understand the point you're trying to make, but I've tried to make it
: >clear that this is not the actual in-fact official discussion that will be
: >done once I will submit the rfd. Once I do that, _then_ it will be

: Perhaps these other groups should be aware that you plan to submit an rfd?
: Maybe their input *now* might change what you write in your rfd.

: >The entire purpose of the discussion period is to do what you keep urging me
: >to do now, include the other related newsgroups. 
: >   Yes, indeed, I'm being 'rec.gardensocentric', for as I stated in the 
: >very beginning, I was simply seeking informal opinions from the people 
: >currently reading rec.gardens, _before_ bringing it up for formal discussion.

:  I understand. But even an informal discussion about a newsgroup devoted to
: organic culture in only *rec.gardens*  seems unrealistic. What else do you
: need to discuss? Some want the group, some don't, here. How about giving
: the rest of the groups a chance to voice their opinions *before* you write
: the cfd/rfd. What is unreasonable about that?

   I never said it was unreasonable...I think it would be great to be able
discuss it thoroughly with everyone and anyone. The main reason I brought
it up in rec.gardens was that it directly affected the rec.gardens
hierarchy. I have nothing against mentioning it in other newsgroups, but
there are quite a few newsgroups that would have an interest in organic
gardening, and I just _do not_ have the time to follow every thread of
discussion that arises on every group. (Voicing opnions does no good if
the people you're voicing them to don't hear them. I'm not being
disinterested, I just _cannot_ realistically conduct a huge informal poll
of the Usenet)

   So far today I have spent 6 hours just answering rec.gardens email and
wading through Usenet. I realize you feel strongly that I should solicit
opinions on alt.sustainable.agriculture. I feel that is a valid
concern...I still have your original email from several days ago
(suggesting it) in my 'unanswered mail'. Since that particular group would
have a particular interest in the proposed organic newsgroup, I was
planning on posting there at some point, when I get half a minute together
to do so. However, I stand by my feeling that _Usenet wide_ discussion can
take place during the rfd. At that time any opinions expressed can still
be taken into consideration and changes made to the group proposal, if
necessary. An rfd can go on for up to two months, more than enough time 
for anyone to bring up any points they may have.

   At the moment, the question stands whether rec.gardens.organic will be 
submitted by itself, or as part of the suggested rec.gardens subdivision. 
Until _that_, at least is decided, I won't consider bringing even more 
groups into the discussion. rec.gardens reorganization discussion can 
best take place within rec.gardens.

--Max
   
-- 
--  ...with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes... <[email-masked]>