Subject: Growing Hops

From: [email-masked] (MstrBrewer)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 17:18:48 -0500

Does anyone have experience growing hops for home brewing??  I like in
Washington, D.C. (which is Zone 7 I think) and need whatever help I can
get - I have a pretty good flower garden going but have never experimented
with hops before.  Any tips, beginners' assistance, etc. would be greatly
appreciated!  e-mail or newsgroup post is fine.  Thanks -  Irene

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary A Davis)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 21:49:45 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(MstrBrewer) wrote:

: Does anyone have experience growing hops for home brewing??  I like in
: Washington, D.C. (which is Zone 7 I think) and need whatever help I can
: get - I have a pretty good flower garden going but have never experimented
: with hops before.  Any tips, beginners' assistance, etc. would be greatly
: appreciated!  e-mail or newsgroup post is fine.  Thanks -  Irene

Once you get it started, look out!  Best to give it plenty of room, and
something to climb on.  Additionally, hops is very, very difficult to
remove if you decide you don't want it.  I spent the better part of the
past summer chopping out the shoots that kept coming up, even after
digging down several feet to remove the majority of the roots.
Other than that, you shouldn't have any trouble in zone 7....

best of luck,
gary
-- 
Gary A. Davis
[email-masked]
Floriculture and Ornamental Horticulture, Cornell University