Subject: Peony Tree

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 18:51:53 GMT

Does anyone have an opinion on this "new" plant?  Does it droop when in
full bloom like a plant does?  Any feed-back welcomed.

Thanks
Lori

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 20:22:57 GMT

> full bloom like a plant does?  Any feed-back welcomed.
  If you're talking about "tree peonies", they grow slowly as small
hardwood trees.  They are of Japanese origin and not particularly suited
to my area in NC because the heat wilts the blossoms too quickly.  I have
tried a couple however, and the blossoms are similar to those of an
ordinary peony, but while the blossom might hang down a bit, the whole
plant is tree-like and will not sag.   This is not a new type of plant,
just slow growing, and not often sold.  I'm told that people sometimes
confuse them with the tuber types and cut them down each year.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney ---Opinions, just opinions---

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Slenk)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 15:40:39 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: Does anyone have an opinion on this "new" plant?  Does it droop when in
: full bloom like a plant does?  Any feed-back welcomed.

: Lori

Peony trees are wonderful plants.  Mine are absolutely maintenance free.  
I just deadhead them when they finish blooming.  The stems are woody, so 
there is no flopping.  They bloom in May with the tulips and daffs, and 
make a spectacular display.  They grow slowly but noticeably.  The first 
year I had three blooms, second seven, third thirteen, fourth 27, and 
I'll probably have thirty or forty blooms this year.  Someday, the tree 
will be too large for my border, but think of all the years of 
enjoyment.  Mine is a beautiful Japanese pink.  I also have a magenta one 
that I started two years ago.  I buy mine locally for about ten to fifteen 
dollars.  None of this 60 dollar White Flower Farm stuff.

The only thing one could possibly say against them is that they do not 
make good cut flowers.  I have done absolutely nothing to mine and they 
are spectacular.  My kind of flower.  I am a no fertilize, no spray, no 
stake, no protect perennial border man.
 
MAKE THE WORLD A GARDEN

Howard

---

From: [email-masked] (Elena A Christofides)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 00:54:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

>stake, no protect perennial border man.

What zone are you in? How big are the plants when you buy them? If you bought a
larger plant, would it bloom more? How much do they grow? If I wanted to use 
them elsewhere, not in a border, would they be too small? Or could they grow 
into a nice sized shrub? Are they very fragrant?

Thanks, Elena

---

From: [email-masked] (Elena A Christofides)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 00:54:49 GMT

Thanks, Elena