Subject: Re: desperately need lawn advice

From: Charles Herrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 15:06:59 GMT

[email-masked] (Debra Gordon) wrote:
>
> OK, here's the story; neither hubby nor myself have any experience getting
> grass to grow, consequently, our yard is a mess of weeds and dead grass.
> This year, we want to do it right. We live in Norfolk, Va., very hot, steamy
> summers, cool/cold winters; small yard. What do we do? Dig up the whole
> thing? What's the best to plant for grass in the summer that won't burn up
> in mid-June, and that doesn't need lots of watering. What do we (and when do
> we ) fertilize.

First, you might want to question whether you want grass or not.
For example, here in Austin, Texas, after leveling one side
of my front yard, I planted a ground cover called Asian Jasmine.
Asian Jasmine get's cut once a year after it's fully grown in,
never gets watered, and holds its rich, dark green color year
around. The downside? It's not what you'd picnic or play on.
So, we have St Augustine grass on the other half of the front
yard.

Since you have a small yard, you might think about partitioning
the front yard into separate areas, some of which would be 
dedicated to grass, and others which could be dedicated to gardens.

We used a strip 4' wide along our curb to plant an East Austin Curb
Garden, which we populated mostly with native Salvia. The advantage, 
aside from the delicate flowers in mixed colors, include low
maintenance and little need for water.

If you're going to plant some grass, contact a local nursery and
try to find a specie which requires little water.

As for how to start the grass, since the yard is small, dig up 
what's there and plant squares of grass. Water and weed
like the dickens at first until well established.

Then, enjoy.

	cnh

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 07:56:05 GMT

>we ) fertilize. Help!!

>--
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Debra Gordon     [email-masked]
>Staff Writer     The Virginian-Pilot/The Ledger-Star
>307 County St.   Portsmouth, VA 23704   fax: 804-446-2607
>This is my opinion only.
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Sorry I think your out of luck.  You want a grass that can only live in 
Florida.  In your area you can only grow a cool weather grass.  That means 
that if it doesn't get enough water in the summer it will go dormant.  As for 
a replacing the grass you have some options.  You can resod the area.  Check 
your area for a sod farm or call a landscaper if you don't want to do the 
work.  Or you can kill what you have now and reseed. In the fall is the best 
time to reseed but in the spring will work too. You will just get more weeds 
that is all.  Then you can spray to kill the existing weeds after the second 
cut.  If you want to work with what you have now then spray for weeds in the 
spring, take a power rake to the area and reseed after three weeks.
If you want a great lawn you need three things.  Sun, Water and Fertilizer.  A 
healthy lawn is the best way to keep out the weeds and stop it from going 
dormant in the summer.

Sun - the lawn would like to get about 6 hours of sunlight a day if possible.  
If not then you should plant grass seed that likes the shade( but even that 
needs some sunlight)

Water - a lawn need 2.5 cm (1 inch) of water a week.  It should get it all at 
once if possible.  I water my lawn once every three weeks in the summer. I 
turn my sprinkler on when I go to bed and turn it off when I get up.  The next 
day I move the sprinkler to a new spot until the whole area is done.  Then I 
watch the grass until it starts to turn a dull green and the leaves start to 
curl.  This shows that the grass needs some water.  I then water all night 
long again.  If you do this regularly your lawn should not go dormant.  By 
watering this way you encourage the grass roots to grow deep into the soil and 
they won't dry up in the hot weather as quickly.  DON'T

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 08:03:44 GMT

>they won't dry up in the hot weather as quickly.  DON'T water your lawn for 
1/2 hour each night. Your asking for a number of messy problems.

(Something happened so I had to repost this)

Fertilizer - I fertilize my lawn twice a year.  Early spring and in September. 
You can use what every the garden center near you is selling at that 
particular time.  You should use a slow release fertilizer in a granular form. 
The ones you spray from your hose only last two weeks at best.

That's about it.  If you need anymore advise you can e-mail me or post in here.
Good Luck!

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 15:56:50 GMT

I don't particularly like the stuff, but if you want grass that stays green 
during the summer, consider Zoysia. It is very tolerant of hot weather and 
will probably do just fine with whatever water is supplied by rain. 
BUT BEWARE!!!!!
	Find out about Zoysia before you take the plunge! It is the last grass to 
come out of dormancy in the spring and the first to go dormant in the fall. In 
Penna. most Zoysia lawns are straw yellow 8 months out of the year. Also, once 
you plant it, it's almost impossible to get rid of if you change your mind. 
	It is soft to the touch, bright green when active, tenacious and very, very 
invasive. If you can live with all that, then Zoysia might be that right grass 
for you, but consider the downside very, very carefully!
	Steven