Subject: Scott Arboretum Schedule of Events

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 24 Feb 1995 16:08:28 GMT

SPRING-SUMMER 1995
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

THE SCOTT ARBORETUM 
OF SWARTHMORE COLLEGE
610-328-8025

The Scott Arboretum strives to offer a wide range of educational topics for
both the beginning and experienced gardener.  In this schedule, events
relating to perennials and their care are being highlighted; look for the
** in the margin.  We hope you'll join us for many of these events.  Unless
otherwise noted, these events are free and open to the public.

LECTURES AND SPECIAL EVENTS

Lotusland:  Madame Ganna Walska's Horticultural Extravaganza
Monday, April 10
7:30 p.m., Lang Performing Arts Center

Combining outstanding botanical collections with spectacular landscape
design, the late Polish diva Ganna Walska created a series of gardens on
her 37-acre Santa Barbara estate that evoke her sense of theater and love
of whimsy.  Join Steven Timbrook for this look at Lotusland's extraordinary
and artfully designed collection of cycads, palms, bromeliads, cacti,
succulents and other unusual plants.

Arbor Day Celebration
Saturday, April 29
9 a.m.-noon, Scott Offices

Plan to bring the whole family to this festival celebrating trees.  This
celebration will feature special tours and demonstrations, a variety of
children's activities and experts to answer your gardening questions. 
Additional information mailed to members; interested nonmembers should
check the registration form to receive the flyer.

The Tender Trap:  Gardening with Half-Hardy Perennials
Thursday, May 4
7:30 p.m., Lang Performing Arts Center

There are hundreds of ways to use tender perennials, a group of plants
displaying a wealth of flower, foliage and form.  Andrew Bunting will
tantalize novice and experienced gardeners alike with a synopsis of this
fascinating, yet under used group of plants and the exciting ways they can
extend your gardening palette.   

New Zealand:  Plants and Places
Thursday, May 18
7:30 p.m., Lang Performing Arts Center

Join Gordon Collier for a look at some of New Zealand's beautiful and
distinctive indigenous plants.  He will show the landscapes where these
plants occur naturally and show them used with some familiar exotics in a
variety of "down under" gardens.

Scott Associates' Spring Festival
Sunday, May 21
7:30 p.m., Lang Performing Arts Center

Join us for this special evening for the presentation of the 1995 Scott
Medal.  A reception and distribution of the spring plant dividend to
members will follow.  Members and guests will receive  invitations; please
call for more information.

Scott Associates' Garden Day
Sunday, June 18
1-5 p.m.
This year eight remarkable private gardens in the Swarthmore-Springfield
area will be featured.  Tickets, garden descriptions and directions will be
mailed to all Scott Associates in May.  Individual memberships will receive
one ticket; all other membership categories will receive three.  Additional
tickets may be purchased at the Scott Offices or by mail ($6 for adults and
$1 for children 12 years of age and under).  Please call for more
information.  

An Evening in the Arboretum 
Saturdays:  June 24, July 15 and August 12
5-8 p.m., Scott Amphitheater

This is the third year we are delighted to present this concert series,
sponsored by the Friends of Music and Dance and the Associates of the Scott
Arboretum.  These festive evenings begin with a leisurely stroll about the
Arboretum followed by time to picnic and an outdoor concert in our
magnificent amphitheater.   (These concerts will move to Lang Music
Building in the event of rain.)


A Peek at the '95 Plant Sale
Thursday, September 7
7:30 p.m., Lang Performing Arts Center Cinema

Get a sneak preview of the outstanding plants featured at the upcoming
Scott Associates' Plant Sale.  The Arboretum staff will discuss the
ornamental attributes, growing conditions and garden uses for this
outstanding group of plants.  

Scott Associates' Plant Sale
Friday, September 15, 3-7 p.m.
and Saturday, September 16, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.  
DuPont Playing Field, Swarthmore College 

Join us for our biennial Plant Sale, our biggest educational event which
also serves as a fund raiser for many of our educational programs.  This
year's sale will feature many hard-to-find and unusual trees, shrubs,
vines, perennials and houseplants.

GUIDED TOURS

Join us for these opportunities to explore the Scott Arboretum's wonderful
plant collections.  These tours are led by Arboretum staff and begin at the
Arboretum Offices.  The tours are free for members and $3 for nonmembers 
In case of inclement weather, the walk is canceled; to confirm
cancellations, please call the Arboretum Offices that morning for a
recorded message.

Early Spring at the Arboretum - Jeff Jabco
Saturday, March 25, 10 a.m.-noon 

The Structure and Design of 
the Scott Arboretum - Ethan Cramer
Saturday, April 22, 10 a.m.-noon

Highlights of the 1995 Plant Sale - Andrew Bunting
Sunday, May 28, 1-3 p.m.

The Blooms of Late Spring - Claire Sawyers
Saturday, June 10, 10 a.m.-noon

Additional Highlights of the 1995 Plant Sale - Kris Benarcik
Saturday, September 9, 10 a.m.-noon


SHORT COURSE

Three Seasons of Perennials
Wednesdays: March 15, 10-11 a.m.; May 17, July 19 and September 20, 10
a.m.-noon  
Chanticleer Foundation, Wayne, Pennsylvania

This course will give you an in-depth, three-season look at perennials. The
first session is a scintillating illustrated lecture introducing the
perennials we will cover.  The following three sessions are out-of-doors
for hands-on exposure; covering the specifics of identification,
propagation, maintenance and pest management.  Suggestions for planting
combinations will give you the confidence to successfully garden with
perennials.  Limited to 20 participants; directions and instructions mailed
upon registration.

Instructors:  Melissa Grubb and Chris Woods
Members:  $40			Nonmembers: $50 

WORKSHOPS

Trough Making
Tuesday, May 2, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Scott Offices
(Rain Date: May 9)

Have you admired handsome, handmade troughs?  In this workshop, Joyce
Fingerut will help each participant  construct a 12 inch square hypertufa
trough from form to finish, to be taken home.  These troughs will cure in
time so you can fill them with rock garden plants featured at the upcoming
Plant Sale.  Trough aftercare and planting tips--including suggestions for
planting medium and a palette of plants to choose from--will also be
discussed.  Each participant should bring a pair of heavy rubber gloves. 
Please bring a bag lunch; we'll provide beverages and dessert.  Limited to
12 participants.
Members:	$45		Nonmembers:  $56


Water Gardening Basics
Saturday, May 13, 9:30 a.m.-noon, Scott Offices

Join us for this workshop where Tim Jennings will introduce you to the
basics of water gardening including site selection and construction
materials.  We'll discuss a variety of water plants, both hardy and
tropical, suitable for gardens in this area.  The workshop begins with a
slide lecture indoors followed by a propagation and potting up
demonstration out-of-doors and a look at the Arboretum's water garden. 
Limited to 20 participants.
Members:  $25 		Nonmembers:  $30

Containers for Connoisseurs
Friday, May 26, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Scott Offices

This workshop met with such enthusiasm last year that we've added to it. 
The lectures and demonstrations will begin with Richard Hartlage showing
you how to create stunning hanging baskets, followed by Dan Benarcik
showing you some of the tropical plants that do wonderfully in containers. 
During lunch, Kris Benarcik will demonstrate ways to spice-up ordinary
containers with faux and verdigris finishes, and  Andrew Bunting will then
show you some exciting ways to use containers in the garden.  Each
participant will select several plants and plant their own terra cotta
container to take home.  All workshop materials, including  container and 
lunch provided.   Limited to 25 participants.   
Members:  $55  			Nonmembers:  $68


TRIPS 

The Academy of Natural Sciences and Historic Bartram's Garden
Tuesday, May 23, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
Van Trip, Depart from Scott Offices 
Our first stop will be the Academy of Natural Sciences for a specially
arranged behind-the-scenes tour.  This tour, led by  Academy staff, will
feature a look at their herbarium, which includes over one half million
plants collected in Pennsylvania and New Jersey beginning in 1780, and
plants collected by Lewis and Clark and Thomas Jefferson.
We'll then travel to Historic Bartram's Garden.  After a catered lunch,
we'll have a guided tour of the house and garden.  Historic Bartram's
Garden, designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965, includes 44 acres
of the original Bartram farm, which was established over 250 years ago. 
John Bartram was America's first great botanist and he and his son William
are credited with introducing into cultivation more than 200 native plants.
 Many of the magnificent specimens in the garden are native plants
including a yellowwood said to have been collected in the 1780s.  
Members:  $53			Nonmembers:  $66

England's Herb Farm and David Culp's Home Garden
Wednesday, May 31, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 
Van Trip, Depart from Scott Offices

The day will begin with a guided tour of England's Herb Farm.  On a little
less than three acres, Yvonne England has created a garden overflowing with
herbs and other perennials.  The garden includes a pond, bog, vegetable
garden, meadow, terraces and many garden ornaments.  After the tour, you'll
be able to enjoy lunch in your favorite part of the garden.
	After lunch, we'll visit the garden of David Culp.  This garden shows the
owner's enthusiasm for plants--he's past President of the Hardy Plant
Society and currently works for Sunny Border, a wholesale perennial
grower--expect to see the newest cultivars as well as some old favorites.  
Please bring a bag lunch; we'll provide beverages and dessert.
Members:  $38			Nonmembers:  $48

Watnong Terrace and Frelinghuysen Arboretum  
Wednesday, August 23, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
Bus Trip, Depart from DuPont Parking Lot

Our first stop will be Watnong Terrace, the private garden of Helen and
Frank Donn.  This two and one-half acre garden includes the former Watnong
Nursery and contains dazzling collections of dwarf conifers, perennials,
several rock gardens, heaths and heathers and a pond. 
We will then travel to Frelinghuysen Arboretum, where after a catered
lunch,  Richard Hartlage will give us a guided tour of this ever-changing
display garden which will include a look at their vegetable garden, myriad
containers and hanging baskets and an overview of their many programs.
Members:  $65		Nonmembers:  $80


INSTRUCTORS

Dan Benarcik received his degree in Plant and Soil Sciences from the
University of Delaware.  He is currently a horticulturist at the
Chanticleer Foundation in Wayne, Pennsylvania where he leads workshops on a
variety of subjects.

Kris Benarcik is Education Coordinator at the Scott Arboretum.

Andrew Bunting is Curator at the Scott Arboretum.  

Gordon Collier is the owner of Titoki Point Garden and Nursery in Taihape,
New Zealand.  He is the New Zealand Vice-President of the International
Dendrology Society and the author of several books including The New
Zealander's Garden, published in 1984.

Ethan Cramer is Assistant to the Director at the Scott Arboretum.  

Joyce Fingerut is Past President of the Delaware Valley Rock Garden
Society.  She frequently leads trough-making workshops; in 1991, her
exhibit at the Philadelphia Flower Show showed how to create troughs. 

Melissa Grubb is a graduate of the Professional Gardener Training Program
at Longwood Gardens.  She currently works at the Chanticleer Foundation in
Wayne, Pennsylvania where she is responsible for the Pond Garden and the
Asian Woods.

Richard Hartlage received his degree in Horticulture from the North
Carolina State University.  He is Superintendent of Horticulture for the
Morris County Parks Department in New Jersey.

Jeff Jabco is Assistant Director of Horticulture at the Scott Arboretum.

Tim Jennings is a graduate of the Professional Gardener Training Program at
Longwood Gardens.  He is a Senior Gardener at Longwood Gardens where his
duties include working in their aquatic gardens; he is a teacher and lab
instructor for Longwood's education programs.

Claire Sawyers is Director of the Scott Arboretum.

Steven Timbrook, Director of Ganna Walska Lotusland since 1987, is a
botanist with special interest in desert plants, bromeliads and cycads.

Chris Woods is Executive Director of the Chanticleer Foundation, a public
garden in Wayne, Pennsylvania.  His horticultural training includes
experience at The Royal Botanic Garden at Kew and he is author of Facts on
File Encyclopedia of Perennials.  


CALENDAR OF EVENTS

MARCH
  15	Three Seasons of Herbaceous Perennials
	10-11 a.m., Chanticleer
  25	Early Spring at the Arboretum 
	10 a.m.-noon, Guided Tour, Scott Offices
APRIL
  10	Lotusland
	7:30 p.m., Lecture, Lang Performing Arts Center Cinema
  22	The Structure and Design of the Scott Arboretum
	10 a.m.-noon, Guided Tour, Scott Offices
  29	Arbor Day Celebration
	9 a.m.-noon, Scott Offices  
MAY
   2	Trough Making 
	10 a.m.-2 p.m., Workshop, Scott Offices
   4	The Tender Trap:  Gardening with Half-Hardy Perennials
	7:30 p.m., Lecture, Lang Performing Arts Center Cinema
  13	Water Gardening Basics
	9:30 a.m.-noon, Workshop, Scott Offices
  17	Three Seasons of Herbaceous Perennials
	10 a.m.-noon, Chanticleer
  18	New Zealand:  Plants and Places
	7:30 p.m., Lecture, Lang Performing Arts Center Cinema
  21	Scott Associates' Spring Festival
	7:30 p.m., Lecture, Lang Performing Arts Center
  23	The Academy of Natural Sciences and Bartram's Garden
	9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Van Trip, Depart from Scott Offices
  26 Containers for Connoisseurs
	10 a.m.- 2:30 p.m., Workshop, Scott Offices
  28	Highlights of the 1995 Plant Sale
	1-3 p.m., Guided Tour, Scott Offices
  31	England's Herb Farm and David Culp's Garden
	8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Van Trip, Depart from Scott Offices
JUNE
  10	The Blooms of Late Spring
	10 a.m.-noon, Guided Tour, Scott Offices
  18	Scott Associates' Garden Day
	1-5 p.m.
  24	An Evening in the Arboretum 
	5-8 p.m., Tour and Concert, Scott Amphitheater 
JULY
  15	An Evening in the Arboretum 
	5-8 p.m., Tour and Concert, Scott Amphitheater
  19	Three Seasons of Herbaceous Perennials
	10 a.m.-noon, Chanticleer
AUGUST 
  12 An Evening in the Arboretum 
	5-8 p.m., Tour and Concert, Scott Amphitheater
  23	Watnong Terrace and Frelinghuysen Arboretum
	7:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Bus Trip, Depart from DuPont Parking Lot
SEPTEMBER
   7	A Peek at the '95 Plant Sale
	7:30 p.m., Lecture, Lang Performing Arts Center Cinema 
   9	Highlights of the 1995 Plant Sale
	10 a.m.-noon, Guided Tour, Scott Offices
  15	Scott Associates' Plant Sale
  	3-7 p.m., DuPont Playing Field
  16	Scott Associates' Plant Sale
  	9 a.m.-3 p.m., DuPont Playing Field
  20	Three Seasons of Herbaceous Perennials
	10 a.m.-noon, Chanticleer

To register:  Return to the Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College, 500
College Avenue, Swarthmore, PA 19081-1397.  Include this form with payment.
 Registration fees are fully refundable only if notification is received no
later than seven days prior to the event.  Please send separate checks for
membership and courses.  No telephone registrations will be accepted.

								Fee $
						Members		Nonmember		
MARCH
  15	Three Seasons of 
	Herbaceous 
	Perennials (also meets 
	May 17, July 19 and 
	Sept. 20) - Short Course $40______		$50______

  25	Early Spring 
	at the 
	Arboretum - Guided Tour	Free_____		$ 3______	

APRIL
  22	The Structure and 
	Design of the Scott 
	Arboretum - Guided Tour	Free______	$ 3______

  29	Arbor Day Celebration
	nonmembers check 
	to receive information				______
MAY
   2	Trough Making Workshop	$45______		$56______

  13 Water Gardening 
	Basics - Workshop		$25______		$30______

  23	The Academy of 
	Natural Sciences and 
	Historic Bartram's 
	Garden - Van Trip		$53______		$66______

  26	Containers for 
	Connoisseurs - Workshop	$55______		$68______

  28	Highlights of the 1995 
	Plant Sale - Guided Tour	Free_____		$ 3______

  31	England's Herb Farm and 
	David Culp's Garden - Van
	Trip					$38______		$48______
			
JUNE
  10	The Blooms of Late 
	Spring - Guided Tour	Free______	$ 3______

  24	An Evening in 
	the Arboretum - 
	Tour and Concert
	nonmembers check to 
	receive information					________
	(Also includes information for July 15 and August 12 	tours and concerts.)
				
AUGUST
  23	Watnong Terrace and 
	Frelinghuysen Arboretum 
	Bus Trip 				$65______		$80______

SEPTEMBER
   9	Highlights of the 1995 
	Plant Sale - Guided Tour	Free_____		$ 3______

The Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College is a garden of suggestion. 
Covering 300 acres of the Swarthmore College campus, the Arboretum Contains
over 3,000 different kinds of plants.  The mission of the Arboretum is to
grow and display the best hardy ornamental trees, shrubs and perennials for
home gardens in the Delaware Valley.  

The Scott Arboretum is open year-round, free of charge, from dawn to dusk. 
For more information call 610-328-8025.

The Scott Arboretum shall not be liable in any way for any damage, injury
or loss of life or property incurred by any person in connections with
these programs beyond funds for cancellation by said date.

Spring-Summer 1995
Schedule of Events
© 1995 The Scott Arboretum