Subject: clay soil help

From: [email-masked] (Scott shy)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 95 16:24:30 EST

Why not try to improve the soil instead of just giving up on other
plant possibilities. Even if you decide to grow just ground cover, there
are a lot of plant that will grow much better and be happier and
healthier in "good" if not "better" soil than hard clay soils.
     One way to improve it is to dump compost/manure/peatmoss/sand in
piles on top of the ground you want to work, mix it all up good and
spread it evenly. Then either borrow a couple neighborhood boys($5 an
hour is always a good place to start), or a neighbor's rototiller, or
rent a rototiller and till all that good stuff into your bad stuff. Once
it's tilled under, water it it well and let it sit for about a week to
level itself out. Then plant away. Even if you don't get a soil test,
adding organic matter to the soil you have can hardly ever hyrt - only
help.
Good luck!
Tam
[email-masked]
Ferndale, MI(near Detroit)

Gateway Online ... 38 Line Multi-user Interactive Information System
Taylor, Michigan - (313)291-5571 2400 baud (313)291-5571 9600 baud
Sysops: Bill Mullen - Jeff Breitner