Subject: Bunch of ??? about starting seeds

From: [email-masked] (Frances Whited, 216/569-5291)
Date: 6 Mar 95 16:24:39 -0400

I'm about to attempt my first foray into starting seeds indoors and have
a couple of questions.

1. I don't have lots of $$$ to invest in heating mats, so what are some
suggestions for other ways to keep the flats warm until the seeds germinate.
For example, I have an electric oil-filled radiator that I could position near
the flats. (It gives off pretty low, even heat.)

2. I have some sterile seed starting mixture left over from last year (OK,
I did successfully start some herb seeds last year. The fact that my husband
let them fry one day while I was trying to harden them off is immaterial!) Is
the sterile mixture still sterile or should I buy new? Also should I/how can
I sterilize last year's plastic pots I was hoping to reuse.

3. I have read that nasturtiums don't transplant well, but I was hoping I
could either A) start them in peat pots that could be planted without
distrubing the roots, or B) bring the window boxes that I was going to
plant them in inside and go ahead and start them in there. What do you
think?

Thanks for any advice you have for me.

Frances

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Mar 95 17:04:49 -0600

> the flats. (It gives off pretty low, even heat.)
I use the top of my refrigerator as a seed starting spot.  Try putting
a piece of plywood over your radiator and checking the temperature of
the flats placed on that.  70oF is about right for most common garden
seeds.  The plywood will help spread and even the heat.  And don't
forget to watch the soil moisture and humidity... heat will dry the
seeds/seedlings out more quickly.

> I sterilize last year's plastic pots I was hoping to reuse.

Your sterile soil is no longer sterile after you opened the bag.  If
it's a regular seed starting mix with lots of milled sphagnum (like
Jiffy Mix) it should work fine.  I usually use "Sams Best Potting Soil"
from Walmart with a thin layer of jiffy mix or plain sand over the top,
covering the seeds.

To clean your plastic pots (or clay pots) make a mixture of 1 part
commercial chlorine bleach (like Chlorox; 10% sodium hypochlorite
solution) to 9 parts of water, and soak the clean pots in it for
5 minutes.  Rinse in plain water (several rinses) and air dry until
no trace of the chlorine smell remains.  If you prefer to follow
my lead, fill a bucket or garbage can with your pots, add enough water
to almost cover them, add a good glug of chlorine bleach, and let them
sit for a few hours.  Rinse and air dry.

> plant them in inside and go ahead and start them in there. What do you
Sure, you can do either.  I don't have a whole lot of luck with peat
pots, though.  I can, however, transplant many plants that are supposed
to be difficult to transplant by growing them in good-sized pots, and
then digging a *big* hole, upending the pot, and popping the undisturbed
root mass in the predug hole, and filling it.  Work quickly, and don't
try to mess with the roots.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Mar 95 17:04:49 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Leon W. Browder)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 21:54:32 GMT

> > suggestions for other ways to keep the flats warm until the seeds germinate.
I use the molded plastic containers that grocery in-store bakeries put
cookies, etc. in.  They snap shut, which keeps them from drying out.  Put
in a soil mixture (I mix it with perlite), add water, put your seeds on
top and sprinkle No-Damp Sphagnum over top to prevent damping off.  I
place the containers on top of my hot water heater (warm and dark
environment).  Excellent germination conditions.

-- 
Leon W. Browder, Ph.D.
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta  Canada  T2N 1N4
(403) 220-6787 (Office)
(403) 289-9311 (FAX)
email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Leon W. Browder)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 21:56:30 GMT