Subject: Re: Buying from a catalog

From: [email-masked] (I wish people would use email)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 23:41:02 GMT

I tried catalog buying through the MICHIGAN BULB company.  I got a 50 percent 
yield between plants and bulbs, and they put me on every 
mailing list they could find.  BEWARE.  They guaranteed all 
plants, but 2 letters later, I've received no 
satisfatction...

>In article <[email-masked]> Susan Sanders
><[email-masked]> writes:
>>From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
>>Subject: Re: Buying from a catalog
>>Date: 13 Feb 1995 15:12:34 GMT

>>In article <[email-masked]> , [email-masked] writes:
>>>IJ> What has been your experience in this?  Do you prefer buying from a
>>>IJ>catalog or buying from a store and why? What advice can you offer in
>>this
>>>IJ>area?

>>The real advantages to catalog buying are: 
>>1)  you're more likely to get things that are appropriate for your yard
>>(since you have time to think about it in advance, dig out your books,
>>ask questions on the and make rational decisions); 2) you're less likely
>>to just get things that are in bloom the day you walk into the garden
>>center (too many people have gardens that only bloom in May because
>>that's when they're shopping for plants [or whatever month spring arrives
>>in your part of the country]); 3) you have a much greater selection of
>>plants to choose from; 4) the time spent shopping is done while the snow
>>is on the ground so that once it's gone you can spend time planting!           
>                
>>                                                        -Sue Sanders

>I use catalogue BUYING as a last resort. The selection is usually spectacular, 
>but what youo pay for what you get is a burn!Catalogues are a great reference 
>resource, however.

>Example: I was in the market for big leaf Hosta last fall. A local grower has 
>several dozen varieties (all dormant). I checked Wayside to learn about as 
>many of the varieties as I could and then purchased the plants I wanted from 
>the local grower. Result: I got Sum 'n' Substance in 2 gt containers for $4.50 
>instead of 2" pots @ $8.00 or so from the catalogue.

>The post from Susan Sanders is correct in that by using the catalogue, you 
>have an opportunity to select plants at your leisure and plan for year-round 
>enjoyment. (Or as close to year round as you can get in your area.)

>Take your time, select what you want, and then see if you can find it at a 
>local grower. If not, then you can opt to settle for something close or, if 
>you MUST have it, order from the catalogue.

>Do make it a point, however, to order SOMETHING from a catalogue every couple 
>of years to stay on everyone's mailing list. Lots of catalogue companies share 
>lists. I know that a purchase from either Wayside or Parks keeps BOTH 
>catalogues coming for several years.