Subject: Re: The Split

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Mar 95 22:07:25 -0600

Sherry Bailey asked:
> Kay Klier, if you have the stomach to be following this, Goddess of > Gardening,
> which groups would YOU bother with?

Huh? Wha?  Who me?  (oh, didn't recognize the description!).

I'd probably only read rec.gardens.misc, because that's where the
really strange stuff I'm always intrigued by is likely to be.
I'd probably give a quick scan to some of the other groups, 
but probably rarely read beyond the header unless it had an
interesting title.  Truthfully, I wrote things like the fertilizer, 
bulb, tomato disease FAQs because I was tired of seeing the same
questions over and over again.  Give me an easy way to skip the 
mealybug, lettuce, tomato, compost and philodendron posts, and 
I'll probably take it.  :-(  (see: slob gardener: bone lazy!)
(all right, all right, I'll probably still follow the opium 
poppy posts, but that's because the Papaveraceae is one of my 
favorite plant families.)

I know I read more posts on orchids and bonsai and roses when 
they didn't have their own groups: now I just scan the headers, 
and unless I see something really special, I move on.  
It isn't that I'm less interested than I was, but that I don't 
enjoy the discussions of cultivars and same old pests.  That 
information I can fairly readily find in a book or three.  I 
can't find a good discussion on how freesias smell of Earl 
Grey tea, and what bergamot has to do with it, and... all 
the marvelous directions that our threads take in this group.

As for the "too many posts to this group" plaint, well... rec.gardens
isn't anywhere NEAR the top of the usenet hit parade.

Kay            [email-masked]