Subject: seashells in garden?

From: [email-masked] (teresa m. esch)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 19:31:24 GMT

I was wondering if poutting seashells in the garden would be a
good way to buffer the soil instead of using lime.  LImestone
is made from seashells isn't it?  I was thinking that seashells
would provide a slow-release liming.  I have quite a few sea
shells but would have to buy lime....

Any opinions?

teresa
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Boyd Zenner)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 19:54:14 GMT

> shells but would have to buy lime....
When I lived in the Northern Neck of Virginia I used crushed
oyster shells to emend the soil around plants like dianthus,
peonies, columbine, etc., that wouldn't be happy with an acid
soil.  Seemed to work okay.

Boyd