Subject: Re: cacti catalogs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 95 15:33:47 EST

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] writes:
>
>Looking for catalogs to order cacti and succulents from within
>the USA.  ALso looking for books or magazines that deal with
>cacti and succulents.
>
 
I have found that the best place to mail order cactus plants and seeds is:
         Mesa Garden
         Box 72
         Belen, NM 87002
 
         catalog sent in return for 2 stamps.
 
Their plants are always correctly labeled and in beautiful condition, and their
prices are the lowest around.  Their selection is HUGE!!  Their catalog can
be somewhat intimidating, though - it has no illustrations or common names,
just latin binomials, collection data, and a very brief descriptions.  So it
is helpful to have some illustrated books to look through when you order....
"Cacti" by Clive Innes and Charles Glass is a good place to start.  "Lexicon of
Succulent Plants" by Herman Jacobsen is a classic reference on the non-cactus
succulents, though its illustrations leave something to be desired.
"Succulents: the Illustrated Dictionary" by Sajeva and Costanzo is supposed to
be good, but I haven't seen it yet.  Anyway, you should be able to pick these
up at:
        Rainbow Gardens Bookshop
        1444 E. Taylor st
        Vista, Ca 92084
        catalog = $2.00
 
Finally, you might think about joining the Cactus and Succulent Society of
America  (Box 35034;  DesMoines, Ia 50315-0301)  The society's bi-monthly
journal contains a nice mix of articles on cultivation, taxonomy, conservation,
and ecology.  Membership is ridiculously cheap at 30.00 per year.
 
I hope this helps!
 
                  -Tsunami
                   "Kono you no naka wa sonna ni amakunai!"