Subject: jack in the pulpits

From: [email-masked] (Lebzelter, Susan )
Date: 2 Mar 1995 22:29:49 GMT

I am trying to start jack-in-the-pulpit seeds inside, and it has been two
weeks with no results yet.  I collected the seeds in the fall and kept them
moist in the refrigerator over the winter.  Has anyone tried growing these
indoors?  I know it is a long process to get them to mature plants.

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 95 14:59:21 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>indoors?  I know it is a long process to get them to mature plants.

Susan - In my experience, JINTP stay dormant a long time.  The ones I have
in the garden don"t begin shopwing their tops until April.  All I can
suggest is a litle more patience.  BTW, I am in East N, zone 6 or 7
depending on which chart.

meredith
Meredith Morris-Babb
"Those aren't typos - its a new language."

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Kruschel)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 14:00:27 GMT

>indoors?  I know it is a long process to get them to mature plants.

Hi there,  I tried growing from seeds as well.  In the spring, very small
plants came up.  Unfortunately they died after about two months.  I think
they have to be kept very moist and not allowed to dry out.  If they
receive too much sun or the soil gets too dry, I believe that will do them
in.  My JITP do very well year after year at the (shaded) side of the house.
...Brian...
-- 
Brian Kruschel, Scientist
Ontario Ministry of Environment & Energy
Science & Technology Branch
Toronto Canada

The thoughts, opinions and comments contained herein do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer... but they should!
________________________________________________________________________
"It may be mandatory to grow old, but growing up is optional!"
...Ralph Drabble...

---

From: Paula M Craft <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 16:33:59 -0700

Where did you get the seeds?  My family's woods was full of JITP and we 
were always cautioned not to pick those because they were endangered.
Is there a commercial source to buy them from?  Please, please, please 
send me information!!!!  They are a fond childhood memory.

- Paula M. Craft
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (SunGardens)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 21:22:07 -0500

Jack in the pulpit seeds need 6 weeks of a cold moist period.  You can
either sow them on flats in the winter and put outside for that time, or
you can put clean and dry seeds into a baggie of moist peat moss and put
it into the refrigerator for at least 6 weeks.  And then they come up
slowly starting in 40 days or so.  But do not throw out your flat thinking
all is lost.  Keep it around outside and let it get watered naturally and
over time, maybe a year or so, the seeds will germinate.  When the
seedlings do appear, they do not resemble Jacks at all.  They have one
broadly ovate leaf.  Next year there will be one small 3-parted leaf and
probably the next year also.  In general, it takes 4+ years to get
flowering size plants.  Good luck.

---

From: Paula M Craft <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 16:33:59 -0700

- Paula M. Craft
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (SunGardens)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 21:22:07 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 09:51:52 -0500

my plant has come up for 2 years, but no flower. it's in total shade -
northside of white garage, so it get's strong indirect light. moist soil
usually. enriched soil.
any input?
ti

tigibson