Subject: Re: Rhubarb

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 10:51:22 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Erica A. Rose) wrote:

> 
> I live in Austin, Texas and am wondering if rhubarb will grow here.
> My husband lived in Iowa, and they grew it in their backyard.  I am starting my
> first garden and am wondering if it will grow.  If so is it like growing celery
> or more like asparagus?  

erica,
   i'm not sure if it will grow in texas, but it is a fairly hardy plant. i
think it's closer to asparagus - both are perenials and heavy feeders. it
likes well drained soil and i think your big problem will be getting it
enough water - if your climate is anything like my folks in new mexico. i
mulch mine heavily with chicken manure in the late fall and it's just
starting to come up the last week. once it does get established it's hard
to remove. good luck. i'm already dreaming of that lovely
pecan-peach-rhubarbn crisp. :)

-- 
...there is no warning in the sirens call -- genesis

sonny hays-eberts
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Erica A. Rose)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 20:34:33 -0600

Thanks in advance.
Erica

---

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 01:51:00 GMT

ER> My husband lived in Iowa, and they grew it in their backyard.  I am
ER> starting my first garden and am wondering if it will grow.  If so is
ER> it like growing celery

Depends what part of Texas. It won't survive summer in hot climates, but 
I'm trying to grow it anyway myself (in southern cal!). I fell in love 
with it growing up in PA, and the stuff that's available in the grocery 
store is woody.

 * RM 1.3 01256 * If it ain't broke yet, let me have a shot at it.

---

From: [email-masked] (kathy morgan)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 16:53:39 GMT

sonny hays-eberts ([email-masked]) wrote:
: i'm already dreaming of that lovely
: pecan-peach-rhubarbn crisp. :)

Post the recipe!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Mar 95 14:47:45 -0500

Thanks to all who gave tips, hints and advice in response to my query about
growing banana trees indoors.  The long and short of it is that we now have
a 2-footer and will see what develops.  Thanks again!

Lynn Willis
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 01:51:00 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (kathy morgan)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 16:53:39 GMT

Post the recipe!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Mar 95 14:47:45 -0500

Lynn Willis

---

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 07:51:02 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (kathy morgan)

> : pecan-peach-rhubarbn crisp. :)

from april 1994 bon appetit, slightly modified

topping
2/3 c oats
2/3 c dk brown sugar, packed
1/2 c all purpose flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, cut in pieces
1/2 c pecans, chopped

filling
4 c (1 1/2 lbs) 3/4 inch sliced rhubarb
6 peaches, pitted and sliced
1 c sugar
2 tbsp quick cooking tapioca
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg

combine 1st 5 topping ingredients, cut in butter until mixture begins to
clump together, mix in pecans. can prepare up to 3 hours in advance. cover
and chill.

combine filling ingredients in bowl, let sit 1 to 3 hours.

preheat oven to 375. butter 8x8x2 glass dish. transfer filling to dish.
sprinkle topping over filling, covering totally. bake until fruit is
tender, juices bubble and topping begins to brown - about 40 mins.

remove from oven. if desired you can broil an additional two minutes to
make the topping crisp and golden, though i never have the patience to....
:)

best served warm with vanilla ice cream.

-- 
there is no sign of warning in the sirens call
welcome, we are the lamia  -- genesis

sonny hays-eberts