Subject: Rhubarb

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 95 12:33:36

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>(Erica A. Rose) wrote:

>>
>> I live in Austin, Texas and am wondering if rhubarb will grow here.
[snip]
>mulch mine heavily with chicken manure in the late fall and it's just
>starting to come up the last week.

I talked to an old-timer farmer (he's been farming for about 60 years!)
friend of mine.  He says NOT to put manure on rhubarb.  I had tried for
2 years putting manure near the root to get it started.  When I followed
his advice, the third plant is now in its second year.  He suggests
using just fertilizer and NOT manure.  He's got yummy rhubarb.  In fact,
his recently deceased (God rest her soul!) wife, gave me my first
introduction to rhubarb with a jam made with rhubarb and jello.  I can
hardly wait to harvest some and make the jam!

Ruth Evans
     __             ___        __
__  ////\  /\/\  /\/ _//\ __  /// | Anne McCaffrey: Master Word Crafter|
\\\//// '\/    \/ / /\/ '\\\\///  | Princess:  Cutest Wiggle Tail Ever!|
 \XX/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\__/\/\/ \XX/   | [email-masked] or [email-masked] |