Subject: Re: Any experience w/ tuberoses?

From: [email-masked] (Bob Dickow)
Date: 27 Feb 1995 07:26:36 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience growing tuberoses?  It is one of my 
> all-time favorite flowers, and after looking for bulbs all over the 
> place, i finally find them at Gurney's (of all places!).  But i am having 
> some problems growing them.  I need some input.

I grow the double tuberoses in pots (8-10" pots) with about three
clumps to a pot. In my area (zone 5) I find that it is best to get
them in the pot early and grow them indoors until it warms a bit
outside, then they go into full sun. Lots of water and food. They
bloom late, and this last season we got a frost just before my
buds opened |-(

When cold weather comes I unpot them and dump them in a pile in
the basement until I think it's time to pot them up again. They
always make a big clump so I have to break them into smaller
pieces--several 'bulbs' to a clump. 

These plants look a little dumpy, and frankly so do the flowers,
but I can't think of a more fragrant plant. Maybe gardenias.
--

--Bob Dickow ([email-masked])