Subject: Re: using crocks for patio containers

From: [email-masked] (Patty Schwalm)
Date: 16 Feb 1995 02:08:57 GMT

Paula M Craft ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I got some large crocks at an auction a few years back and I've been 
: using them for patio plants but I have some problems.  

Lucky you, Paula! I'm an antique dealer and a gardener and have
dozens of crocks (all sizes) I use as containers.

Drainage is the main problem (the crocks will *aways* weigh a lot).

I put my plants in those large black plastic containers new
tree/shrubs come in (they have drainage holes in the bottom).
Only enough gravel to keep the drainage holes from leaking *all*
of the soil out (or some mulch; gravel for drainage is overrated).

I ease the plant/plastic container inside the crock,

 *important points*
with a brick or two in the bottom of the crock to elevate it off
the bottom, AND a large saucer of some sort (pottery or tupperware)
under the plastic container to keep some of the overflow water
in the pot plastic container, just as you would with smaller
houseplants.

Now, if you get a lot of rain, you will have to pull the plant
out of the crock and empty it (a pain in the *ss). But if you 
just get a small amount of rain, the brick should keep the container 
elevated enough to prevent becoming oversaturated by being immersed.

In the winter, you can pull the plants/plastic containers inside, 
if you want to maintain them. Be *sure* not to leave the crocks
out in freezing weather (plants are replaceable, but the
crocks will crack, or even explode, under the right 
circumstances of freezing/thawing with water inside).

"double potting" (?) is the basic concept. Great for maintaining
fertizer/water. I've won ribbons for my roses grown in crocks.

Patty, who up until recently had a tiny garden.
*Now* I've got 10 acres  <grin>