Subject: Squirrels in the garden

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 12:07:50

>The only effective way to prevent Squirrel theft in vegetable gardens o
>backyard orchards is to reduce the population to a level where there is
>enough natural food to go around. I use a HAVAHART trap baited with pea
>butter to catch the squirrels. You must release them at least 5 miles f
>your garden to prevent a quick return. I trap at least 20 per year. Not
>there may be laws preventing transport and release in your area.

I hate to say this, but wouldn't it be more humane to just kill the
squirrels?  Taking any animal out of its territory usually results in
death.  It has a hard time finding food or is killed by the animals that
"own" the territory it was released into.

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Kruschel)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 19:34:53 GMT

[Stuff about trapping and releasing squirrels elsewhere at least 5 miles away]

>"own" the territory it was released into.

I usually let the squirrel go in a well-wooded area more than 5 miles away
so he will have another home and meet some of his buddies.  I think that
as long as they are in a natural environment, they will do fine.  Putting
them in another forested area will not kill any of the squirrels I have
encountered.  Only tires have any deleterious effect on the squirrel
population IMHO.
...Brian...
-- 
Brian Kruschel, Scientist
Ontario Ministry of Environment & Energy
Science & Technology Branch
Toronto Canada

The thoughts, opinions and comments contained herein do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer... but they should!
________________________________________________________________________
"It may be mandatory to grow old, but growing up is optional!"
...Ralph Drabble...