Subject: AOSA seed germination manual

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Mar 95 09:24:37 -0600

The book I've mentioned in previous posts as having lots of good information
on germinating most commercially available seeds is:

Association of Official Seed Analysts of North America.  Rules for 
Testing Seeds (looseleaf, last edition was 1988). 

This is a special number of the AOSA/SCST's journal, Journal of Seed
Technology.

The section on germination consists of tables of what seed to test
by what method, at what temperature(s), and notes of little peculiarities
like whether prechilling is needed, and if KNO3 solution helps break
dormancy (useful for some grasses).  Most of the discussion in the
germination chapter, beyond the table, is discussion of what 
constitutes a normal or abnormal seedling, what germination media
can be used (the default medium, the one to which all others are
compared, is plain sand box sand), and statistical tests.

The germination table is, in my opinion, the best thing I've seen
for summarizing enormous amounts of data in a small place.
Alas, my copy is somewhere in the mass of books being packed for 
a move...

Kay Klier  [email-masked]