Subject: Re: WORM COMPOSTING HELP�����

From: [email-masked] (Pat and George Kiewicz)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 15:22:13 GMT

Theman ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have noticed some
: liquid forming on the bottom of the bin.  The compost itself is beginning to
: get a bit soggy so I'll mix in some potting soil?  

My bins have drainage holes and are set on trays which catch any drips.  If 
the bedding seems too soggy (not usually a problem for me), leaving the bin
uncovered will help to dry it out, or you could add some shredded paper
(I'd recommend pushing back the bedding and putting the dry paper on the
bottom.)

: Might it be beneficial to add wood ash to the compost to
: absorb moisture and improve the texture of the compost, or would I kill off my
: worms?  

Wood ashes + water = lye.  I wouldn't expose worms to wood ashes.  

Pat in Plymouth MI

-- 
                           ====================
        We do not speak for the Suburban Communications Corporation.
	The Suburban Communications Corporation does not speak for us.

---

From: [email-masked] (JMWhite)
Date: 6 Mar 95 20:31:49 GMT

>: get a bit soggy so I'll mix in some potting soil?  

If the bin is small, you can put some absorbant material on top (like 
newspaper or whatever) and flip the bin upside-down.  Once the absorbant media 
is saturated, remove and repeat if nec.

James White
e-mail:  [email-masked]  (or [email-masked])

			Don't blame me, I voted for Tsongas.

---

From: [email-masked] (JMWhite)
Date: 6 Mar 95 20:31:49 GMT

James White