Subject: organic farmers

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 5 Mar 1995 18:49:43 GMT

P A N U P S
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North
America***=====================================
                       Updates Service U.S. EPA Starts Special Review of
Triazine Pesticides November 29, 1994 The U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) announced on ===================================== November
10, 1994, that it has begun a Special Review of three of the most widely
used herbicides in the U.S. -- atrazine, cyanazine and simazine -- because
of concerns that they may present serious health risks. Between 90-120
million pounds of these herbicides, known collectively as triazines, are
applied to U.S. crops each year. The EPA cited concerns that long-term
exposure to these pesticides in food and drinking water may pose a risk of
cancer to the U.S.  population. The Special Review will examine the risks
and benefits of the pesticides, estimate the costs of shifting to
alternatives, and determine whether the pesticides should be canceled,
further restricted or allowed to be used as before.  In the November press
release, the EPA stated that recently- published human epidemiological
studies provide "conflicting but, in some cases, suggestive evidence" that
exposure to environmental toxins such as pesticides may contribute to the
increasing rates of breast cancer in U.S. women. The press release further
states that "while EPA does not have information which supports a link
between exposure to the triazine herbicides and human breast cancer, the
Agency cannot dismiss the possibility that such an association could
exist."  According to "Tap Water Blues," a report released recently by the
Environmental Working Group (EWG) and Physicians for Social Responsibility
(PSR), more than 14 million people in the U.S. routinely drink water that
is contaminated with five major agricultural herbicides, including the
triazine pesticides. The authors of "Tap Water Blues" argue that the
triazines can cause cancer in animals and may pose other health risks as
well, especially to infants and children.  Because of these risks, the EWG
and PSR demanded that the U.S. EPA and U.S. Department of Agriculture
phase-out the use of triazines within two years. (See PANUPS, Nov. 10,
1994.) The triazine pesticides being reviewed by the EPA are primarily
used as pre-emergent herbicides on field corn, but are also used on
sorghum as well as other crops.  The EPA has taken actions previously to
restrict use of triazine products.  In 1990, for example, use of atrazine
was restricted to certified applicators (except for certain home turf
products), application rates were reduced, protective clothing for
agricultural workers was added as a label requirement, and application
near wells was prohibited.  Ciba-Geigy of Greensboro, N.C. is the
principal registrant and manufacturer of atrazine (first registered in
1959) and simazine (first registered in 1957). Du Pont Agricultural
Products of Wilmington, Delaware and Ciba-Geigy are principal registrants
of cyanazine (registered in 1971 under the trade name Bladex).  Sources:
U.S. EPA Press Release, November 10, 1994: "EPA Begins Special Review of
Triazine Pesticides"; Wall Street Journal, November 11, 1994; Pesticide &
Toxic Chemical News, November 16, 1994.  Contact:  Environmental Working
Group, 1718 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 600, Washington DC 20009; phone
(202) 667- 6982; fax (202) 232-2592; email [email-masked].  | PANNA | for
standard information | | Phone:(415) 541-9140 | about PANNA send a short
|=========================================================== | Fax:(415)
541-9253 | email message to | | email: [email-masked] |
[email-masked] | | gopher: gopher.econet.apc.org| | | To
subscribe to PANUPS send email to [email-masked]|| | with the
following text on one line:  subscribe panups |___ | | To unsubscibe send
the following: unsubscribe panups |
    ===========================================================