Subject: Going NATIVE

From: [email-masked] (Steve Graf)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 20:58:42 -0600

I have recently developed an interest in species azaleas of which I have 
2 that grow very well in my garden.  I would be interested if anyone could 
tell me where I might purchase native "species" azaleas suitable for USDA 
zone 4/5.  Lots of nurseries seem to have hybrids but not species azaleas :(.
Especially great would be locations in Quebec, Vermont, or New York State.
Thanks in advance.  Steve

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Mar 1995 15:22:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
>zone 4/5.  Lots of nurseries seem to have hybrids but not species
azaleas :(.

Greer Garden in Oregon (Eugene, I think) has probably the biggest
selection of rhodies and azaleas in the country (maybe the world!)  I
don't have their catalog handy but I know they do carry species azaleas,
at least some of them natives (along with a lot of nice Japanese
species).  Rosyln Nursery on Long Island is a big east coast
rhodie/azalea supplier, but I remember even less about what they offer in
the way of native azaleas.  Both are excellent mail order suppliers, and
both offer a wide variety of other plant materials as well.  Greer in
particular has an incredible selection of woody plant varieties.         
                               -Sue Sanders