Subject: Re: Using Epsom salts in in plant soil?

From: [email-masked] (Patricia Turner)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 12:16:31 -0500

In rec.gardens [email-masked] (Gary Cooper) said: 

>In article <[email-masked]> 
>           [email-masked] "David Lyle Robinson" writes: 
> 
>> I recently looked at a booklett written by Jerry Baker 
>> that suggests using epsom salts as a spring soil preparation. 
>> It even suggests using it in potting soil for starting 
>> transplants.  In other places, the booklett suggests using 
>> dish soap and instant tea as a fertilizer. 
>>  
>> Has anyone ever heard of this, and if so what is in 
>> these that makes it work?  Sounds like a bunch of 
>> unfounded hocus-pocus claims to me, but I'm open 
>> to learning new tricks. 
> 
>Epsom salts are no problem at all - in fact they're magnesium sulphate
which  
>ends-up as magnesium, as far as your plants are concerned. Magnesium  
>deficiencies are quite common and certain plants (roses, tomatoes and  
>chrysanthemums for example) are particularly prone to this. 
> 
>I'd suggest, however, that this author is simply wrong in suggesting that
it be  
>used universally. It's normally included in sufficient quantities in  
>commercially prepared potting mixtures and is present in all good compound
 
>fertilisers, including seed-starting and potting bases. I can't see why he
 
>really thinks it is necessary unless you have a proven Mg deficiency. 
> 
>Meanwhile, I haven't a *clue* what he thinks is in instant tea (being
English,  
>the very notion of it makes me shudder <g>) and I am highly suspicious of
"dish  
>soap". My *guess* would be that he might be suggesting soap as a form of  
>wetting agent, but, even then, I find it hard to believe it would be the
best  
>choice. 
>Hope that's some help, 
>--  
>Gary Cooper 
- 
I recently saw Martha Stewart pant a whole bed of bare root roses feeding
them Epsom salts. Then-presto-thanks to the magic of TV, she showed them
all in magnificent bloom only 5 weeks later! 
P.S.-I agree with you on the tea issue.My great grandfather always said he
liked his tea like a good woman-hot and strong and sweet :-)  
 
Trish 
Patricia Turner     or        Ted Turner 
-the garden grifter-       -not married to Jane!-

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary Cooper)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 16:36:12 +0000

Epsom salts are no problem at all - in fact they're magnesium sulphate
which ends-up as magnesium, as far as your plants are concerned. 
Magnesium deficiencies are quite common and certain plants (roses, 
tomatoes and chrysanthemums for example) are particularly prone to 
this.

I'd suggest, however, that this author is simply wrong in suggesting
that it be used universally. It's normally included in sufficient
quantities in commercially prepared potting mixtures and is present in
all good compound fertilisers, including seed-starting and potting
bases. I can't see why he really thinks it is necessary unless you have 
a proven Mg deficiency.

Meanwhile, I haven't a *clue* what he thinks is in instant tea 
(being English, the very notion of it makes me shudder <g>) and I am
highly suspicious of "dish soap". My *guess* would be that 
he might be suggesting soap as a form of wetting agent, but,
even then, I find it hard to believe it would be the best choice.

Hope that's some help,

-- 
Gary Cooper