Subject: Re: Robot Lawnmower

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 95 20:08:00

>At last! As a hayfever sufferer my worst job is cutting the lawn.
>I noticed on a Web page (http://mmm.wwa.com/elux/elt4.html) that a robo
>lawnmower has been invented
>that cruises your lawn all summer powered by solar energy. I wonder if
>will ever
>see the light of day :-)

Yes, it is available for sale and was last summer.  A local (Boise, ID)
company bought one more as a gimic than figuring they'd sell it.  They
made the local news and newspaper.  I don't know if they sold any.  It
seems the cost was in the thousand dollar range.   I don't know about
you, but I can HIRE someone to mow my lawn for years and years and years
for that price!

Ruth
     __             ___        __
__  ////\  /\/\  /\/ _//\ __  /// | Anne McCaffrey: Master Word Crafter|
\\\//// '\/    \/ / /\/ '\\\\///  | Princess:  Cutest Wiggle Tail Ever!|
 \XX/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\__/\/\/ \XX/   | [email-masked] or [email-masked] |

---

From: [email-masked] (KHARP)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 22:25:29 -0500

/>At last! As a hayfever sufferer my worst job is cutting the lawn.
/>I noticed on a Web page (http://mmm.wwa.com/elux/elt4.html) that a robo
/>lawnmower has been invented
/>that cruises your lawn all summer powered by solar energy. I wonder if
/>will ever
/>see the light of day :-)

/Yes, it is available for sale and was last summer.  A local (Boise, ID)
/company bought one more as a gimic than figuring they'd sell it.  They
/made the local news and newspaper.  I don't know if they sold any.  It
/seems the cost was in the thousand dollar range.   I don't know about
/you, but I can HIRE someone to mow my lawn for years and years and years
/for that price!

/Ruth

Here, here!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (KHARP)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 22:25:29 -0500

/Ruth

Here, here!!!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Mar 95 20:17:43 CST

>/you, but I can HIRE someone to mow my lawn for years and years and years

They were selling it at the Walmart here for around $2000 US.
It's big selling points are:  It's automatic, it mulches the grass very
finely, it will make your next door neighbors very jealous.  It is
made by some company that's pretty big in the home lawn stuff.
I couldn't see any practical reason to spend that much on a mower.
It also looked ridiculously easy to steal.

-iain
                                                        
***************************************************     
* Iain Shigeoka:  [email-masked]         *     
*                 http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~ion *     
***************************************************     
                                                        
 Time, with it's stealthy gliding, cheats us all        
 and nothing passes more quickly than the years...      
                                                        
 -Ovid (metamorphoses)