Subject: Re: SIBERIAN ELMS THRIVE IN SHADE???????

From: [email-masked] (KATHY FLORITTO)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 09:02:00 -0800

MG|In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
  |(Delacorte) wrote:

MG|>    I would like to plant a hedge in a fairly shady location, that will
  |> grow as quickly as possible.  A seed catalog I have from the Burgess
  |> company claims that their Siberian Elm will thrive even in the shade. The
  |> Gurney catalog I have claims the Chinese Elm (which I'm told is simply
  |> another name for the Siberian) needs full sunlight.  Which is correct?  Is

MG|Siberian Elms and Chinese Elms are names applied by people to a group of
  |Elms from S.E. Asia.  Unfortunately I see alot of intermixing of these

MG|experience they can survive diffuse shade but certainly not complete
  |shading.  They will do best in good sunlight.  Check with your local

     Is Siberian Elm susceptible to the same disease as is the Chinese 
Elm?  This nasty piece of work has nearly wiped out the entire C. Elm 
population of several areas in N. America - and although I heard that a 
new variety of the Chinese type that is resistant to the problem, I'm 
guessing that the easily defeated type is still plentiful from 
nurseries and neighbors with cuttings.

                              KATHY

 * 1st 2.00b #3640 * [email-masked]