Subject: Re: Rosemary Plant Is Dying!

From: [email-masked] (Meliva)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 13:11:34 -0500

I confess to murdering a beautiful rosemary plant this winter by allowing
it to develop a white powder-like mildew all over it's leaves and stems. 
The plant was gone in a week.  Would a fungicide have helped or was it too
late at that point?  (Of course, it's a moot point now but you never know
when the fungus will return to kill again.)

KT Lyons

---

From: mark <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Mar 1995 03:24:52 GMT

Have you checked for the plant being pot-bound?  You didn't say if the
plant is still inside.  If so, has it been moved lately?  Could it be
drying up from being near a heat source?

I have a rosemary plant that I planted in my raised vegetable beds 
three years ago.  We have had both COLD and mild winters since (I'm
in zone 4) and it sometimes dies back a little but always comes back
bigger than ever each spring and summer.  It is not about 4 FEET in 
diameter.  I give away 3 foot branches of it to anyone who will take
it.  (I know this is not much help to your current problem but I
think I'm trying to suggest you plant it outside if possible).

Good luck!

~Laura (not Mark)

[email-masked] (Donna Hill) wrote:
>
> My rosemary plant is approx. 2 years old, is planted in a large (16 in. 
> diameter)  clay pot.  It lives outside in the summer but inside in the 
> winter.  It recently sent up a whole slew of new shoots, all the older 
> leaves died; now the new shoots are falling off and plant appears to be 
> dying.  No obvious pest infestations or mold/rot problems.  Anyone know 
> what the problem could be?
> -
>   DONNA HILL  [email-masked]
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 12:18:15 +0000

> what the problem could be?

I have seen a fungal infection with almost no visible external signs kill
a fairly large rosemary bush last summer. Look for very fine hairs in
the leaf/stem joints. You could try taking cuttings and/or treat with a
suitable fungicide. If there are seeds on it you could try growing them on.
Any herb experts know what the (specific?) fungus is that does this?

Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: Mary Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 02:45:03 GMT

I know this is going to sound bad: I just got away from an area
frequented by drunk college students and this sounds like a case of over
fertilization. In other words, maybe a pet or child (or drunken college
student, who knows) urinated on it a few times?

Mary Spencer
Eye on Government

(919) 596-0152 Voice
(919) 596-0081 Fax
[email-masked]
AOL: MarySpence

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 12:18:15 +0000

Regards,

---

From: Mary Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 02:45:03 GMT

Mary Spencer
Eye on Government

(919) 596-0152 Voice
(919) 596-0081 Fax
[email-masked]
AOL: MarySpence