Subject: re: catepillars on sago

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 95 17:49:42 EST

Try spraying with BT (Bacillus thuringiensis), a material available at
garden centers. It consists of a bacterial suspension that messes up the
bacterial symbiotes in caterpillars' guts, preventing them from
digesting cellulose (so they starve and die).  BT is non-toxic to
non-caterpillars.

IL>I have two sago palms (cycas ruhmii (sp?)) which have a big problem with
IL>catepillars.  A friend told me to use diluted soap solution which works for
IL>some of the other plants.  Unfortunately, it also caused the new leaves to
IL>wilt.  I don't want to use insecticide if I can help it.
IL>Can any one offer a more earth-friendly method?
IL>LBK

Richard Shiell, ASLA        Bakersfield, CA        [email-masked]
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Online Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     Telnet to 204.212.36.4
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     FTP to 204.212.36.4
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     WWW to http:\\[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 95 17:49:42 EST