Subject: Chain link fence

From: [email-masked] (Margaret Pereyra)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 10:18:42 -0800

Hi there,
I'd like to plant something that would help cover a chain link fence.  I
live in Southern California - I'd like to plant something that is easy to
grow and maintain. Flowering/not flowering, either one, as long as it
covers the fence (which is about 4ft tall BTW, southern exposure).  I'd
appreciate any ideas....

Thanks,
Maggie

---

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 10:59:53 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Margaret

> covers the fence (which is about 4ft tall BTW, southern exposure).  I'd

morning glories. they'll climb the fence and are easy to establish. purple
trumpet-like flowers.

-- 
...there is no warning in the sirens call -- genesis

sonny hays-eberts
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Martha Frost)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 21:42:36 PST

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
>Subject: Re: Chain link fence
>Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 10:59:53 -0700

>[email-masked]

Passion flowers are successful. Also, Fejoa sellowiana makes a kind of tall 
hedge-not a vine but rather fast. Several kinds of honeysuckle, jasmine would 
work. What ever you do, dont use ivy unless you plan to live behind a wall of 
it forever.
Regards, Martha
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Piddipat)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 19:50:15 -0500

how 'bout scarlet runner pole beans? i bought some seeds because i heard
that this type of vine grows vigorously and can cover a chain-link fence
quickly.

--pat murray

---

From: Roz Garland <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Mar 1995 18:32:53 GMT

I like the morning glory idea---- you might also want to consider 
planting some moonflowers in with the morning glories!  They are 
similar in habit, and open by the light of the moon, and smell 
great!  They are fairly large, trumpet-like flowers, and the 
seeds are easy to find.
Good Luck!
Roz

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 95 19:39:40 PDT

I have a chain link fence covered in ivy.  It does a good job but I am 
constantly pulling it out because it wants to grow over the fence, down along 
the ground and up the house.  Not low maintnance.  I saw some scented 
geraniums growing along a chain link.  In fact I took alot of cutting from it 
to get some going in my yard.  I believe it is the rose scented one and it 
grows fast here in So CA.  Also has a great scent when you brush it and nice 
lavender flowers.  If I had the energy I would take out all the ivy and use 
this geranium.  But I have too much else to plant for now.

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Herrick)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:34:56 GMT

I bought 4 X 8 sheets of lattice, stood them on the 4' end, and wired them
to my chain link fence. Then, along the fence, I've planted an assortment
of climbing, flowering vines, including Lady Banks Rose (yellow, and white),
PassionFlower, Coral Honey Suckle, etc. It's a work in progress, but
should profide much privacy and color, and obscure the chain link.