Subject: BEES IN MULCH

From: [email-masked] (Marge Pritchett)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 15:01:47 GMT

During this past summer and now this spring I have noticed bees
building small hives in the leaf mulch in my gardens.  I try to
carefully move them to another part of the yard but they always
return.  In the 22 years I have lived here I have never had
this problem until now.  I also noticed them drilling holes
under the railing of my deck! These are the black and yellow
bumble bees.  Any ideas? 
I don't want to spray them as I really do appreciate what they
do for my garden, but I don't want to get stung one day while
poking around the mulch either. 
Thanks.
-- 
(: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (:
Marge C. Pritchett		  U.S. 3rd District Court of Appeals
[email-masked]  				  (804)771-2219 x226
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

---

From: [email-masked] (MiKe Griggs)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 12:00:37 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Marge Pritchett) wrote:
It sounds like you have attracted Carpenter Bees.  They look very similar
to bumble bees.  They can be very destructive because of there habit of
cutting galleries in unfinished wood.  To stop them from mining your
railing you should fill the existing holes and then stain, paint or
varnish the surfaces.  This will repulse them (if not divert them to
another suitable surface).  They can be real troublesome.  Hope this
helps  Mike

PS they are fun to watch as they provide there galleries with food for brood.

---

From: [email-masked] (Nance A. Lempinen-Leedy)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 15:38:25 GMT

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nance Lempinen-Leedy				Alachua Co. Library District
Reference, Headquarters Library			401 E. University Avenue
[email-masked]				Gainesville, FL 32601