Subject: Is "Roundup" Safe Way To Kill A Lawn

From: [email-masked] (Bill Dill)
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 17:52:22 -0800

I got an estimate from a a landscaper for replacing my lawn.  I was
surprised to learn that the major part of the job was killing and removing
the old lawn.  He said that he would use a product called "Roundup".  I
have 2 children so I'm concerned about the possible health problems I've
heard associated with using herbicides and pesticides.  

Can anyone tell me anything about Roundup?  Is there any truly safe way to
kill off a lawn?

Thanks for the info.

           + ------------------------------------------------ +
           |    Home Page: http://www.primenet.com/~wdill/    |
           |         PGP public key available at:             |  
           |         finger://[email-masked]              |
           |          PGP Public Key ID E69DA38D              |
           |         PGP Encrypted Mail Preferred             |
           + ------------------------------------------------ +

---

From: [email-masked] (John Tusciuk)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 10:14:38 -0500

Bill Dill ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I got an estimate from a a landscaper for replacing my lawn.  I was
: surprised to learn that the major part of the job was killing and removing
: the old lawn.  He said that he would use a product called "Roundup".  I
: have 2 children so I'm concerned about the possible health problems I've
: heard associated with using herbicides and pesticides.  

: Can anyone tell me anything about Roundup?  Is there any truly safe way to
: kill off a lawn?

: Thanks for the info.

I've never heard of Roundup causing any problems, but if you are
worried about it, ask the landscaper for the chemical data sheets
(there's some acronym for these, but I can't remember it).  These list
all of the possible hazards associated with use of a given chemical
and employers (at least in Michigan) have to have these someplace
accessible to any employees that may be exposed to the chemical, so
I'm sure he's at least got a copy.

John Tusciuk
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey S. Ertel)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 17:42:56 GMT

Round-up is a relatively safe and easy way to kill a lawn.  It
will only kill actively growing plants and will do nothing for
the resident weed seed population.  I say relatively safe
because it is still a pesticide and should be treated with
great respect.  Keep people and pets off the area for a day or
two after spraying.  Many people will tell you that this advice
is overly cautious but as one who is around and uses pesticides
frequently, I like being overly cautious.  People used to be
lax with DDT.

After killing the yard, you have to decide how you are going to
proceed with the renovation.  If the soil is not too bad it
might be cheaper (and much easier) to rent an overseeder or
contract with someone to overseed the lawn.  This will
eliminate the rototilling, raking, etc.. involved in a
full-blown renovation.  I have overseeded as little as two days
after spraying round-up and only had a couple of day period
with a brown lawn.  (seeded with improved perennial ryegrass).
Some of the bigger rental companies are carrying walk-behind
overseeders now.

Depending on your current lawn composition and what you are
going to seed, you may skip the round-up and just overseed.
Renovation of any type releases many dormant weed seeds in your
lawn and in springtime seedings you may need to use Tupersan as
a preemergent weed control.  It is easier to get by without
chemicals in a fall seeding.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jeff Ertel
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wade)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 17:44:15 GMT

> heard associated with using herbicides and pesticides.  

For a herbicide, it's perfectly safe and healthy.  There's some argument
as to just what "For a herbicide" means :-)  I've used it for small areas
and it certaintly works well, so I wouldn't worry about that half of it.

I recently needed to remove the lawn from a section of my back yard 16x40
feet.  It wasn't a lot of work just to rototill it, wait a couple of
weeks, and till again to bury anything that was able to re-sprout (not
much).  I'm not sure how much it costs to rent a tiller (I was able to
borrow one) but you might want to consider doing that part yourself and
saving some money.  Ask the landscaper what the drawbacks are, if any.

---
Doug Wade / [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Offiler)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:22:39

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John Tusciuk) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (John Tusciuk)
>Subject: Re: Is "Roundup" Safe Way To Kill A Lawn
>Date: 8 Mar 1995 10:14:38 -0500

>Bill Dill ([email-masked]) wrote:

(clip)

>[email-masked]

The chemical data sheets you're talking about are called MSDS's, which stands 
for Material Safety Data Sheet.  Agreed, OSHA and state agencies require 
employers to have these things, which are called "Right to Know" laws so 
anyone who works with chemicals can see just what he/she's into.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Braymen)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 19:13:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John Tusciuk)  
> I'm sure he's at least got a copy.

The acronym you are looking for is MSDS, which stands for the Material  
Safety Data Sheet.  These are availble on demand by anybody who purchases  
a chemical product.  Even Kmarts, Walmarts, etc. MUST provide these on  
request if they sell the product.  If not they are in violation of the  
Federal Right To Know Law.

I have used Round Up and have never had a problem with it.  It becomes  
inactive when it comes into contact with soil and leaves no residue.  It  
can, however, kill any plant that it comes in contact with and should  
never be used around streams and ponds.  I am not sure how long the  
chemical stays active on the leaves after application.

In general its a fairly safe chemical.
sdb