Subject: tomato seeds

From: [email-masked] (Eileen Margerum)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 07:14:36 GMT

i have never attempted to plant tomatoes from seed before.  How long before 
one intends to set the plants out should one plant the seeds?  I don't want tobegin too early lest I end up with leggy plants.

Ed margerum

---

From: gracie!agrawal (Nisheeth Agrawal)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 15:51:57 GMT

>one intends to set the plants out should one plant the seeds?  I don't want tobegin too early lest I end up with leggy plants.

It all depends on what zone you are in! And what tomato variety you choose. The
only reason you will get leggy palnts is if you set the seedlings/young plants
too far from the light. Normally I keep my seedlings about 2 inches below the
light.
 
Nisheeth

All opinions are mine and not my employer or anybody else!!

---

From: [email-masked] (teresa m. esch)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 18:44:19 GMT

> one intends to set the plants out should one plant the seeds?  I don't want tobegin too early lest I end up with leggy plants.

I am planting my seeds 6 weeks before last frost date, which is
what is recommended in "Square Foot Gardening".

teresa
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Kopal Barnouin-Jha)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 22:19:11 GMT

>one intends to set the plants out should one plant the seeds?  I don't want tobegin too early lest I end up with leggy plants.

I have read that one usually plants tomatoes 8 weeks before last frost date.
To avoid seedlings being leggy, other than heat and light issues, one can 
create air currents using a little fan.  I think Organic Gardening proposed 
this as a way to strengthen seedlings.

Kopal

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Mar 95 12:16:46 -0600

> too far from the light. Normally I keep my seedlings about 2 inches below the
Too high a soil or air temperature or too much nitrogen in the planting
mix (don't fertilize young seedlings in soil!) or not enough mechanical
disturbace can also create leggy plants.

BTW, plant tomato transplants very deeply... it will encourage
adventitious root formation.  I usually plant an 8" tall seedling so
only the top 2" of stem peek out.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: gracie!agrawal (Nisheeth Agrawal)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 15:51:57 GMT

Nisheeth

---

From: [email-masked] (teresa m. esch)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 18:44:19 GMT

teresa
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Kopal Barnouin-Jha)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 22:19:11 GMT

Kopal

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Mar 95 12:16:46 -0600

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Mar 95 08:28:35 CST

> one intends to set the plants out should one plant the seeds?  I don't want tobegin too early lest I end up with leggy plants.

I start mine 10 to 12 weeks before setting out for early tomatoes. Legginess
can be "treated" with tomatoes by replanting seedlings and burying most of the
stem. This promotes root growth as well I am told. When you plant out you can
plant most of the stem horizontally and bury it. Some people leave only the top
leaves.
   Cheers, Ken Hanly Zone 2 to 3