Subject: Help! gophers? moles?

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 6 Mar 1995 13:59:00 GMT

--------

i hope someone out there in cyberspace can help me.  last summer i bought a
new house.  this fall i planted several hundred bulbs so i've been looking
forward to spring.  spring is here (here is knoxville, tn, usa) and several
(but less than i had expected) things were starting to come up - and a few
to bloom - when disaster struck... the new shoots were eaten below ground
level!  just a few chewed shoots left in a small hole.  the holes range in
size from around an inch to two or three inches in diameter.  there are lots
of mounds in the affected areas.  

i tried flooding them out - put the hose in one of the larger holes - turned 
the water on full blast and waited... for seven hour!  nothing happened!  the 
water never backed up or came out anywhere i could find and no small amimals
came running out.  the next day several more things dissappeared.  

can anyone tell me what's eating my plants and how i can get revenge?  i'd
really like to kill these beasties, but i'd settle for convincing them to
relocate.

watching my spring plants be served for dinner,
ron

Ron Tipton				
Network Engineer				
University of Tennessee

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 9 Mar 1995 01:38:06 GMT

You have gophers.  :(  And from the sound of it, a pretty
heavy infestation.  Trap those suckers -- it may take
a while to clear them out -- but your only other alternative
is to continue to act as the local salad bar.

Chris Owens