Subject: water gardens

From: [email-masked] (Amarnold)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 11:16:34 -0500

please help with how to winter small garden pool with waterlillies and koi
in new england climate zone 5.  Leave them in? take them out? what to do?.
thanks. amarnold @aol.com

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Mar 1995 16:43:44 GMT

> thanks. amarnold @aol.com

Bringing them in is always the safest.  I just wrap the pots of lilies
in a plastic bag and stick them in the coolest part of my basement and set
them back out in April.  I did leave a few in the pond this winter just
 to see if they will survive.  The crucial factor is how deep your pond is
and whether it risks freezing all the way to the bottom.  My pond here
in Milwaukee (Zone 5) is 24 inches deep and I keep an air stone bubbling
throughout the winter.  I only have goldfish and not Koi, but this seems
to keep them alive all winter.  If its too much trouble to take the Koi out
you may wish to invest in what is called a stock tank heater available 
at farm supply stores.  This is simply a submersible heating element.  
I have one but only use it briefly when the temperatures dip below zero.
These things draw around 1000 watts, so I don't leave it on all the time.
If you need more information, particularly regarding the Koi, you might
post your question to:  rec.ponds

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Mar 1995 16:43:44 GMT