Subject: Re: Bay Tree

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 08:59:28 PDT

The bay laurel is not hardy here in Akron. However we have a 4 ft. tall tree
in a large container that we bring in the house for the winter. It is quite
sucessful and Sunnybrook Farms in Chesterland etc. often have them in stock.

Jerry

In article <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> 
writes:
> I'm interested in growing a Bay tree.  Can't find any info does anyone know 
if 
> i can grow it in Northern Ohio and if so where can I find one?
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Mar 95 23:08:36 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (B GOOGLE) writes:
> I have the start of a Bay Tree - a full 10 inches tall.  I bought it last
> year (I'm in northern part of zone 5) and brought it in this winter.  It
> just sits there.  I haven't had any new growth on it, either last summer
> or this winter  - in spite of the fact that it is sitting by a patio door
> in a room that has many windows and skylights.  Does anyone know about the
> habits of these things?  Is it a lost cause, or is this normal?

Which bay?  _Laurus nobilis_ or _Umbellularia californica_?  Both
are trees of mediterranean climates.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David A. Verbil)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 95 13:01:37 GMT

>habits of these things?  Is it a lost cause, or is this normal?

I'm growing a bay tree (Lauris nobilis)  outside (Zone 9, eastern exposure, overhang above) and
it doesn't do anything all winter ... spring comes and so does its new leaves ...
So, don't give up until spring is well on its way in your neighborhood  ...

			DAVe

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 22:21:05 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 20:17:35 -0500

I have no idea what kind of bay it was.  That's all the tag said, "Bay
Tree".  I wonder if there is a difference between the two kinds of bay
trees as to when they show their growth?  Actually, if I'd been patient I
would have answered my own question.  It being March and getting close to
spring, and, like most trees will soon be doing, it is budding.  Several
people had emailed me to tell me to expect buds in the spring.  So I went
to look at it and, there they were!  I hadn't ever thought of it really in
terms of being a "tree" and having tree growth habits!