Subject: Re: I.D THESE SUMMER BULBS PLEASE

From: Steve Hoskins <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Mar 1995 06:04:24 GMT

Mary Spencer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I just bought two kinds of bulbs, corms actually, and I can't find them
> in any of my books. They are both summer flowering and one is called
> Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid) and the other is called Liatris (Blazing
> Star). They ar sold by Better Homes and Gardens/ Walmart. Can someone
> tell me about them? Especially how they tolerate clay.
> 
>

Mary,
  I would definately ammend the clay soil with plenty of peat and mulch,
as your bulbs should be in soil that has good drainage. If the soil is to
heavy it will retain moisture and the bulbs may become diseased or rot.

Good luck,
Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 20:04:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Steve Hoskins <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: Steve Hoskins <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: I.D THESE SUMMER BULBS PLEASE
>Date: 1 Mar 1995 06:04:24 GMT

>> tell me about them? Especially how they tolerate clay.

Mary-
	I have Liatris (both the Purple and the white) in my garden. They seem to 
tolerate the particular brand of concrete that passes for soil here just north 
of Phila. PA just fine. I have worked compost and such into the soil for the 
past seven years as a normal function of gardening so it's not too bad, but 
clay is clay!
	Both Liatris varieties are sassy little raskels. I let the last flowers go to 
seed and then, next year, bingo!... Lots more Liatris! They are easy to 
control though. (Not like, say, Coreopsis) 
	The white ones seem to be more boisterous than the purple. The plants are a 
little larger and they multiply more (Maybe that's just a function of more 
flowers.) Where I live we get serious thunderstorms so I usually end up 
staking the plants about July 4th.
	You'll enjoy them.
	Steven

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 20:04:04 GMT

Mary-

---

From: [email-masked] (TS HOUSTON )
Date: 8 Mar 1995 11:36:18 GMT

Hmm,  I've grown Acidanthera for the past couple of years,  (A. bicolor
murieale)  but as I've got a fairly cold wet climate here in Northern Ireland,
I've tended to grow them as greenhouse (glasshouse) plants.  All the books
I've checked say they need a free draining soil,  and a sheltered aspect,  so
maybe that's bad news on the clay.  My plants stay in pots in the greenhouse
in a mix of 90% peat,  10% grit.  I find it's important to get them dried off
before (what we regard as) the really hard frosts (-5C) arrive,  though as
they're in pots this just means I stopp watering them from about November
through to about now.  I guess I could chance the pots outside during our
short cool Summer.

As for Liatris,  I'm araid I've never tried it,  nor could I find a mention of
Blazing Star,  though a couple of books have L. pycnostachya (Kansas Gay 
Feather) listed as being hardy to -15C,  though again,'prefers sunny position
and well drained soil'.  

Maybe you could plant them in pots?
Hope this helps,  Tom
 
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are mine and not those of my employer,
 they're mine! Mine I tell you! mine! all mine. hahahahah.....

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 09:58:04 -0500

acidenthera are wonderful plants! in zone 5 i plant early and protect, i
even have a pot of dormant ones in my basement that i bring up in april.
they are the most fragrant flowers i have in my garden. they get 3' tall
in my garden, like full sun and bloom in late august.
hope you enjoy them.
tigibson

---

From: D Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 08:16:42 -0800

Oh, don't get me started! Nandina, mock orange, ivy, ash, locust, oxalis, 
cannas, lungwort, etc., etc.