Subject: Re: Need Advice on Incense Cedar

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Feb 1995 06:09:26 GMT

>   [email-masked] (Jan Cripsin-Little) writes:
>  Has anyone had experience with growing Libocedrus (Red or Incense Cedar).  I 
>  am looking for a columnar tree for a small (44 x 66) yard and I like the 
>  green pencil shape of the incense cedar.  On drawback -- all the literature 
>  I can find indicates it can grow to 150 feet.  
>  
>>>>
We have a beautiful red cedar in our backyard at the end of the lot.
It's magnificent and majestic and NOT PRUNED!  Please don't plant one
of these giants only to "whack" off its top.  If you appreciate their beauty
you will never be satisfied with the result of distorting the scale and
proportion by pruning.  Instead plant something that won't grow as tall
but has the same columnar shape you're looking for.  Weeping Alaska cedars 
and Atlas cedars are some examples.  There are many, many others that when
at full height will give you the splendor and scale you want without the
disfiguration.

Kathryn Payne
[email-masked]