Subject: Re: How do I "grow" (raise?) worms?

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 01:53:41 -0500

Howdy  :)

Raising redworms is a breeze.  I have them growing and breeding in my
classroom at school, and even in two small bins I keep on a dresser in my
bedroom!  Of course, they are very easy to raise in outdoor piles during
mild seasons, or year-round in mild climates.

Basically, you just need appropriate bedding (moist medium in which they
can live) and food.  My suggestion is to get a copy of "Worms Eat My
Garbage" by Mary Appelhof.  This is the simplest intro to how to do worm
composting -- and getting worms as a side benefit if you are interested in
that.  The book is available for about $10 from Flower Press, 10322 Shaver
Road, Kalamazoo, MI  49002.

Once you get one batch of worms (from a friend or bought through the
mail), there is no need to ever get more.  Under ideal growing conditions,
they can double their numbers in about a month!

I am beginning a project to teach local school children about composting
with worms as a way of recycling and reducing the waste stream.  If I can
be of any further assistance, please send email.

--  Eric Johnson
Boulder, Colorado