Subject: Re: Pigeons on my terrace !!!

From: [email-masked] (Lynsey Gedye)
Date: 2 Mar 95 12:27:39 GMT-12

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (David Gurzynski) writes:
>I had this problem last spring and again this spring.  A Pigeon has made
>a nest on my terrace and the nest now has an egg in it.  My wife is VERY
>soft hearted when it comes to animals and cannot bear the thought of
>destroying the egg.

  I had the same problem when I was in the UK.  Never solved it.

  Since then I've been in China.  What was a problem would now
  be seen as an opportunity for a crispy skin roast with five
  spice powder and salt for dipping.

--
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Ischay)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 03:50:56 GMT

David Gurzynski ([email-masked]) wrote:

: If anyone can give me some info on pigeons, and particularly what I can
: put on my terrace to scare them away from now on, I'd really appreciate
: it!

David, I see you made mention of owl statues in reply to someone's
following up this topic.  I lived in an apartment in the city a few years
back that constantly had pigeons in the eves.  Their cooing bothered the
landlord and he put up an owl statue.  They didn't come around anymore.
I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but ...  No more pigeons.

Chris Ischay
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Micah Brandon)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 95 14:04:55 GMT

>I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but ...  No more pigeons.
	Yeah, birds are one of nature's creatures that are born with the 
imprint of their enemies.  That's why even in NY, a pigeon that's never seen 
an owl will still fear it.  The owl statue's a pretty cool idea...

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Fraenkel)
Date: 05 Mar 1995 15:53:19 GMT

>>>>> "brandon" == Micah Brandon <[email-masked]> writes:
 brandon> Yeah, birds are one of nature's creatures that are born with
 brandon> the imprint of their enemies.  That's why even in NY, a
 brandon> pigeon that's never seen an owl will still fear it.  The owl
 brandon> statue's a pretty cool idea...
But it doesn't work.  I have seen countless pigeons in this city
comfortably fluffing themselves on ledges and windowsills, not giving a
damn about owlequins in plain view.  Once I saw a pigeon perched on
the head of one of these statues.

It's not clear whether the NY pigeons are too stupid to recognize
their natural predators or too clever to be fooled by dangling plastic
imitations.

-pnf