Subject: RE: PoisonOak

From: PATTIBELLE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 95 02:26:11 -0500

Martha, I still have scars on my arms from poison oak last November.
About a week into the reaction I discovered Domeburo (or something like
that spelling).  Then tonight I was thumbing through the Smith & Hawkins
catalog and there was TECNU, which states:  If a rash has already started,
it relieves itching and stops spreading.  Now that I would have to see!
Theyalso have Poison Oak & Ivy Armor, something that's put on the skin
to protect against it.  Never having seen these before, I can't give
first hand advice.  But you have my sympathy!
 
Pat in Napa, CA

---

From: PATTIBELLE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 95 02:50:27 -0500

Charley, don't hold your breath re:  PO!  Although I went for many years
with just a touch or two of the stuff due to being extra cautious, I've
never been immune to the stuff since I was age 10 (50+ yrs. ago).  Never
trust that "immunity."
 
Pat in Napa, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (Charley_Renn)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 00:26:34 GMT

Tecnu is produced next door to us in Albany (I live in Corvallis), OR.
Of my three boys, the middle one, David, is most allergic to PO.  He
uses the Tecnu with some success.  In fact, he will be using the 
resistant lotion this weekend, if the snow holds off, when we clear
the brush from a downed tree in the back lot.  We'll see how well he
does.

I had a sever case of PO in about the third grade.  Then, 20 years ago
I helped a bunch of friends fell and split a couple of oak trees on a
hillside covered with PO. They all came down with fairly serious cases,
I didn't have a spot of it.  I read somewhere that our bodies go
through dramatic changes on a twenty-year cycle and allergies can 
change and even disappear.  Well, I just passed another 20-year mile-
stone, so hold onto your seat!

Charley

---

From: Mary Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 02:41:24 GMT

I grew up on a cattle ranch in California with LOTS of the stuff. I was
very careful to keep away from it after seeing my Mom suffer horribly in
and got near her (she even got sick after eating a deer which has eaten
poison oak). 

The first time I touched it a broken oozing branch of if broke the skin
on my underarm. I was ready for the worst, but NOTHING HAPPENED. 

On other gardening rashes though, I've used baking soda paste and been
very happy.

In article <[email-masked]> Charley_Renn, [email-masked]
writes:

Mary Spencer
Eye on Government

(919) 596-0152 Voice
(919) 596-0081 Fax
[email-masked]
AOL: MarySpence

---

From: Mary Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 02:41:24 GMT

Mary Spencer
Eye on Government

(919) 596-0152 Voice
(919) 596-0081 Fax
[email-masked]
AOL: MarySpence