Subject: Re: Ground cover for ditch banks?

From: [email-masked] (Anita Ford)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 12:55:41 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (David R Givers) 
writes: 

>
>Christine Owens ([email-masked]) wrote:
>
>: Have you considered concocting a mix of local, low-growing
>: wild-flowers?
>
>: Chris Owens
>
>: >
>: >There is a drainage ditch that runs along side the road in front of 
my
>house : >and I would like to put some type of ground cover on it's
>edges/banks.  
>: >John Kuhn
>
>John-there is probably not a quick fix but there are good solutions.  
>Christine Owens(above) has pointed you in the right direction.  Native 
>species can do the job if carefully selected and properly planted.  
>
>But -- this is going to take some effort on your part to learn your 
local 
>prairie ecotype.  I would suggest for your application not to concoct 
until 
>you have read some books.  For a quick start send $3 to Prairie Nursery 
>PO bOx 306 Westfield WI 53946.  They will send their catalog which
>will help you get started learning.  No one I knowm owns it or works 
there; 
>standard discalimer applies.
>
>I would stay away from the wildflower idea as wildflowers.  The base 
for 
>solving your problem is in selecting the right grasses and adding some 
>flowers for color and diversity.  Your planting might have to be as 
much 
>as 90 percent grass, as a guess.
>
>DO the right thing and you will feel right; so will the earth.
>good luck
>David Givers
>
>

I'm dealing with the same problem.  I moved into a new house in May '94 
and got the bank in the bargin.  I put lots of different things on the 
bank to see what would live with very little effort.  So far I'm pleased 
with the following:

sedum (different varieties), St. John's Wort, heather, vincia, mint, 
hens & chicks, barberry bushes.  

In an effort to help establish some of the plants, I places old bricks 
and rocks in the bank.

I'm considering the pros/cons of crown vetch and am planning to add 
creeping tyme.

Most of my bank is in full sun.  I live in Manassas, VA

Happy planting

Anita