Subject: planting a tree on a mound

From: [email-masked] (Judith Welsh)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 01:47:34 GMT

Many thanks to those of you who responded to my questions about japanese 
gardens.

I'd like to plant a japanese maple tree on a mound and would like any 
advice or comments regarding such a project.  Specifically, I'm thinking 
about building a double mound with one side higher and wider than the 
other.  I'm wondering if it would be best to plant the tree on or near 
the smaller mound?  If on the mound, would off-center be best?  Should 
the mound be flat on top?  What about drainage?

Thanks very much in advance --

Judy 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 16:08:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Judith Welsh) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Judith Welsh)
>Subject: planting a tree on a mound
>Date: 2 Mar 1995 01:47:34 GMT

Judith, 
	Make sure the mound is large enough, and the sides are shallow enough, so the 
soil doesn't wash away from the root ball. I do this kind of planting all the 
time. Usually, with a serious specimen, I'll retain the "front" of the mound 
with boulders, that plant the specimen immediately behind the boulders and 
then let the back of the mound slope gradually back to grade.
	Also, you can retain 2, 3, or all sides with boulders if it fits you planting 
design.
	If you are into "Japanese" gardens, you should see my back yard. The dog pen 
is paterned after a classic Zen garden (gravel and 5 stones). The dog house is 
patterned after an Ukimi (Snow Lantern) and the gate is Shinto. My wife 
thought I was nuts when I said I was going to do it but now she admits it's 
really something! It your going to do it, do it with STYLE!
	Steven