Subject: Mulch and termites

From: [email-masked] (Chris Ischay)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 14:10:38 GMT

I am wondering if anyone has any direct experience of finding that mulch
made from wood can wind up harboring termites?  I never really thought
about this until someone mentioned it the other day in the rose newsgroup.
But it makes sense to me that wet wood is the ideal home for termites.
On the other hand, in this part of the country pine bark is probably
the most commonly used mulching material.  We just had a lot of tree work
done and we have a lovely and BIG pile of chipped up pine and hardwood.  
I now have second thoughts about laying it down in flower beds around the
foundation.  Anyone have any experiences to recount?  Thanks.

Chris Ischay
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 20:58:03 +1000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Chris Ischay) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Chris Ischay)
>Subject: Mulch and termites
>Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 14:10:38 GMT

>[email-masked]

I have had problems with termites in the mulch that I put down, but I pretty 
sure it is because the termites were in the soil to begin with due to a rotted 
tree roots from my neighbor's yard.

If you are sure that termites do not exist to begin with, I don't think there 
is much to worry about as far as attracting termites.