Subject: Problem with earwigs

From: [email-masked] (John C. Sinues)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 12:23:08 GMT

I have earwigs in and around my home.  What are the purpose of earwigs?
Do they pose a potential problem for me?  How can I get rid of them?
Comments and information on these little insects would greatly be
appreciated.

============================================================================
     _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/                          John C. Sinues
    _/     _/  _/     _/  _/
   _/     _/  _/     _/  _/      Inc.
  _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/   _/             eMail:  [email-masked]
 _/         _/   _/    _/              Phone:  (804) 498-5666
_/         _/    _/    _/_/_/_/        Fax:    (804) 498-5670
                                     =======================================
                                     | "...life is robust and meant to be
                                     |  lived, joyfully...but not perfectly-
                                     |  except by accident."
============================================================================

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Mar 1995 16:59:38 GMT

> Comments and information on these little insects would greatly be

As disgusting as these creatures look, they really don't seem to do
a great deal of harm since they feed on decaying organic material.
Unfortunately, it is my understanding that spraying for them with malathion
etc. will also kill crickets, although if you have them in your house,
you might want to use this.  Maybe some other gardeners have a better
solution.

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Mar 1995 16:59:38 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Fellwalker)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 06:07:59 GMT

Don Martinson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (John C. Sinues) wrote:
: > 
: > I have earwigs in and around my home.  What are the purpose of earwigs?
: > Do they pose a potential problem for me?  How can I get rid of them?
: > Comments and information on these little insects would greatly be
: > appreciated.

: As disgusting as these creatures look, they really don't seem to do
: a great deal of harm since they feed on decaying organic material.

    Earwigs can do a great deal of damage...especially to young seedlings 
(and my Napa Cabbages are eaten full of holes from them). 
    I heard from an Ag. Extension man that if you put a dish of vegetable 
oil with a little Tabasco sauce in it out in your garden (like a beer 
trap for slugs) you'll find it full of drowned earwigs the next morning 
(and slugs, too). 
    I haven't been able to try this yet because of all the rain we're 
getting in Southern California, so I can't say how well it works. When it 
warms up enough I'll probably try to scrounge up some frogs and toads to 
assist the garden lizards with eating them all up.  :)

--Max

-- 
--  ...with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes... <[email-masked]>

---

From: Leslie Troutman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 12:25:19 -0600

Given enough of 'em, earwigs *do* cause problems!  I watched them
defoliate a patch of marigolds in a couple of days . . . Organic methods:
if the affected area is small enough, hand pick late evening when they
seem to be at their most active.  You can also use an organic insecticidal
soap (e.g., Safers or Concern are two brands that are available in home
and garden stores).  Two years ago, I was fanatical about hand picking and
using Safers and last year there weren't enough earwigs to be a problem. 
And, please, don't use malathion . . .  Leslie

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Leslie Troutman					EMAIL:	[email-masked]
Music User-Services Coordinator			PHONE:	217-244-4071
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign	FAX:	217-244-9097
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=