Subject: HOW ABOUT ARTICHOKES�����

From: [email-masked] (BOURRET)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 11:33:00 -0500

References: <[email-masked]> 

EE> [email-masked] (MarlaP1041) wrote:

EE> >I saw artichokes growing at the county fair on Cape Cod

Two years ago I decided to try and grow Globe Artichokes (not 
Jerusalem). That year there was only perennial Artichoke seed 
available.  Last year someone came out with an annual Artichoke:
variety 'Imperial Star'.  The seeds are available from Park Seed.
On April 1st I (2 months before my last frost date) I sowed the seeds in 
4"peat pots/jiffy pots. In 10 days, at 70 degrees, my seeds germinated.
On May 30th I put the peat pots in very large terracotta pots. The 
reason for planting them in pots and not in the ground was because 
Artichokes like the soil warm. My soil up here in Maine takes too long 
to warm up to accomodate the temp. needed for vigorous growth. I used a 
soil mixture of 2 parts topsoil, 1 part compost/manure and 1 part sand 
for drainage. For fertilizer I used fish emulsion. The plants need to be 
grown in full sun with the Ph around 7.5 - 8.5 (slightly alkaline soil).
Lastly, they like to be on the moist side. I harvested my first 
Artichoke on August 15th, 135 days from sowing.  

Best of all they were indescribably delicious!

 * RM 1.3 02833 * Gone Skiing!