Subject: Re: Elephant bulbs

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 11:12:18 -0500

info trading for free here on the net.
i've grown these bulbs for two years now. the pointy end is up. the end
that probably has a few root-like things growing out of it is bottom.
sometimes on bulbs it's really hard to tell, but they're shaped like alot
of other bulbs - daffs, tulips.
in zome 5 i take out of basement (stored in brown bag, no peat) in april
and start in a pot. late may (this plant does not like ANY frost!) i plant
in ground with the top of the bulb barely covered (1/4" - 1/2" soil).
they do indeed grow elephant ears. huge gorgeous green elephant ears. my
plants got to 6' last year, leaves 3'x3'. best in shade. sun = smaller
from my experience. 
good luck, ti
tigibson

---

From: [email-masked] (GregS77833)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 16:35:30 -0500

My wife bought some elephant bulbs.  Rather large things, think they grow
into elephant plants (pretty astute, heh?).
Q1: Which end is up?
Q2: How deep?
Assistance is greatly appreciated.  She's pretty knowledgeable in alot of
these things.  Maybe trade info?

---

From: "E. Gilding" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 1995 01:19:34 GMT

> these things.  Maybe trade info?
elephant bulbs are related to the taro plant, a local food source
however elephant bulbs are not good fro eating as they are poisonous.

the top end is the end thats pointed, thje rounded end is usually
the root end, if your not sure, plant it on its side in a well drained medium
keept the soil moist but not wet and warm, fertilize onnce it starts growing

we had one that wouldn't die, we would dig it up but it would keep 
sprouting up babies.

---

From: "E. Gilding" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 1995 01:19:34 GMT