Subject: Re: Jewelweed

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 19 Feb 1995 10:17:34 GMT

David R Givers ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Bess Haile ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : I have a lot of jewelweeds growing in my marsh and along the
: : streams.  Last year I collected some for soneone on the net.
: :  I will
: : gather seeds for anyone interested in me sending them

:  There are two concerns I would like folks to consider regarding the 
: harvest of wild species.  Most books that (reponsibly IMO) promote native 
: species propogation caution against gathering from  wild populations on 
: general principles of conservation.  Most/many ecologists will also 
: caution shipping or transfering species outside their own ecotype or 
: phenotype.  In other words there is some concern for human activity 
: altering natural selection of what should be wild populations.

I would agree with this comment for any invasive type of plant such as 
purple loosestrife.  But jewelweed is a rather mundane plant, not 
invasive, and it grows well with other wetland species, doesn't choke 
them out.  So I doubt that offering jewelweed seeds is going to have any 
impact on any environment whatsoever.

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 95 18:28:05 GMT

>impact on any environment whatsoever.

  Native Americans used jewelweed to cure poison Ivy.  My husband used it and it worked fair (for mild
poison ivy)  also when I was a kid if we got into nettles we would use jewel weed to kill the pain.  Only
 works if you use it right away though.   It's a neat plant, and in the late summer it's fun to play with the
pods, the seeds ejest if you touch the pod!!!
                                                             Kay Hanson

---

From: [email-masked] (David R Givers)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 03:42:21 GMT

Bess Haile ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have a lot of jewelweeds growing in my marsh and along the
: streams.  Last year I collected some for soneone on the net.

:  I will
: gather seeds for anyone interested in me sending them

 There are two concerns I would like folks to consider regarding the 
harvest of wild species.  Most books that (reponsibly IMO) promote native 
species propogation caution against gathering from  wild populations on 
general principles of conservation.  Most/many ecologists will also 
caution shipping or transfering species outside their own ecotype or 
phenotype.  In other words there is some concern for human activity 
altering natural selection of what should be wild populations.

Human population is after all at 5 billion and growing. Mother Earth 
could use some breathing space, dear netters.