Subject: HELP: Overrun with Ladybugs!

From: [email-masked] (Chris Gentle)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 19:02:18 GMT

For some reason, we have been flooded with ladybugs in the last
several months.  They seem to be everywhere, even in the house.  They
seemed to group up in the house during the cold weather.  Beats me
how they got in.  Anybody know a good way to get rid of them besides
using bug bombs in the house?

Thanks,

Chris
<[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Griffin)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 07:14:49 -0500 (EST)

>using bug bombs in the house?

Kill ladybugs? You animal! <g> Not a gardener, I see....

Open the doors and windows and shush them out; the remainder will die
of starvation (pore thangs....).

Bring lots of potted plants, infested with ladybug-dinners, into the
house. Whilst they feast, carry the plants out....

Get a net and collect and sell them - gardeners pay big bucks for
them.

Let loose your bird collection in the house.

Pyrethrin spray.

Wait, and watch them s-l-o-o-o-l-y die of starvation.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carol Brandt)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 15:16:00 GMT

I am wondering if you have boxelder bugs and not ladybugs.  Boxelders
are larger and red on black.  They have a tendency to emerge around the
foundations of our house when the weather in late winter gets warmer
and have a knack for finding a way into your warm house.  They are
totally harmless, but their numbers can be annoying.  I simply sweep
them up and toss them outside.  Have patience and wait, within a week
or two their numbers will naturally decrease.  By poisoning these guys,
you will probably do more harm to yourself.  My father was annoyed by
these bugs and he sprayed them with all sorts of nasty Ortho products
(shudder), only to have them continue marching into his house. I say
let nature take its own course; for your own health, don't spray.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Griffin)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 07:14:49 -0500 (EST)

Pyrethrin spray.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carol Brandt)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 15:16:00 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 04:44:50 GMT

><[email-masked]>

If you tell them that their house is on fire and their children are alone, 
they will fly away home.

However if you harm one spot on their pretty round bodies, every gardener who 
has been plagued by aphids will hate you forever.

I would think that given time they will leave you because your house does not 
offer the food they are looking for.

Don

*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 17:16:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Chris Gentle) says:
>several months.  They seem to be everywhere
a good way to get rid of them besides using bug bombs in the house?

Open the windows! You have a win win situation. You help them, they'll
help you. CT

---

From: [email-masked] (Laurie L. Robertson)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 17:22:04 -0400

I don't know if they're the same species that are plaguing you, but the 
Washington Post recently had and article about parts of Northwestern Maryland
that have been experiencing a winter infestation of Asian ladybugs.  Apparently,
the species was (1) released in the south to control pests or (2) came in on
a shipment of Asian produce (does this sound like a familiar liet motif).
Anyways, you might try contacting the Maryland Department of Natural Resources
or the Garrett and Allegheney County Extension agents.  I think the article
said that once spring arrives they move on (until next winter).

Laurie
    [email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:29:56 -0500 (EST)

Asian ladybugs are on the west coast too.  Your options are:

1. wait for spring.  They will go away on their own

2.  get a vacuum cleaner with a hose - one that sucks stuff into the 
bag without sending it through the impeller.  Suck 'em up and let them 
go outside. [ or better yet: inside your favorite gardening store when 
no one is looking!!   :-)  ]

Dan

huisjen @teleport.com
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Sanny)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:53:37 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Chris Gentle) writes:

>how they got in.  

If nothing else, you now know you have a hole or crack in your house that
you must fill.  That's letting in bugs as well as cold air.  But
seriously, check a recent back issue (within the last year) of Organic
Gardening.  There was a whole thing on them and how to get them out of the
house.  You are not the only one, it seems.

Alice  < -- is desparate for lady bugs in her yard

---

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 17:16:13 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Laurie L. Robertson)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 17:22:04 -0400

Laurie
    [email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:29:56 -0500 (EST)

Dan

huisjen @teleport.com
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Sanny)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:53:37 -0400

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:29:56 -0500 (EST)

Dan

huisjen @teleport.com
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Sanny)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:53:37 -0400