Subject: Re: Red earthworms

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 21:28:09 -0500

Hi...

Redworms thrive in situations where there is copious organic matter on
which they can feed.  Unfortunately, even in very good garden soil, there
is seldom enough O.M. to keep them going well.  However, redworms are VERY
well suited to composting.  I put them into my compost piles when the
piles have cooled down, and they do a marvelous job of finishing the work!

Good luck,
E Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherman Dorn)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 15:01:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> John Bouck <[email-masked]> writes:

>I just ordered 500 red earthworms from Garden Alive.  I am assuming that
>the worms will really survive to improve my garden.  Do they really
>survive in the garden once released?  Any suggestions for better survival?

Redworms primarily feed on organic matter, which means that most gardens will 
not be able to sustain them.  It's a pretty expensive source of nitrogen to 
just put your worms in the garden.

I'd recommend, instead, starting a worm bin and use the worms to compost 
kitchen waste.  Get Mary Appelhof's book, WORMS EAT MY GARBAGE, for help.

____________
Sherman Dorn
Vanderbilt University 
[email-masked]