Subject: Re: Azaleas hate me-Planting Tips

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 20:39:17 GMT

Bonnie,
Some possible answers to your azalea problems--
If you are planting in a raised bed, have you considered the fact a raised
bed dries out fast than one that isn't raised?  Also, sometimes when peat
is added to soil, if it isn't adequately hydrated, or if it dries out too
much, the peat actually starts to repel water.

Also, if the azaleas you transplanted were purchased in containers, did you
remove most of the mix before you planted them?  Did you make sure there
were no circling roots?   Many nurseries and growers are now growing plants
in soil-less mediums.  If you don't remove this soil-less medium and make
sure the plants roots aren't growing in a circle before you plant it into
your garden, two problems can occur.  One, the soil-less medium dries out
faster than soil and acts as a "wick", pulling moisture out of the soil and
the plants roots dry out. And two, the plants roots find it easier to
continue to grow in the soil-less mix and they never venture out into the
garden; eventually they may strangle themselves or run out of moisture.

Just some random thoughts---

Happy gardening--

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 20:39:17 GMT

Bonnie,

Happy gardening--

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum