Subject: Re: Prairie Grass Research??

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey A. Del Col)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 13:13:27 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Craig Mathew) wrote:
>
>> >> Is anyone doing any research on prairie grasses and tall grass/short
>> >> grass prairie ecosystems? I'm looking for a good horticulture or
>> >> botany department that might into this sort of thing.
>

Fermilab--yes, that's right, the atomic particle accelerator-- maintains
a tall grass prarie inside the 1 mile diameter circle of the proton
acclerator.  It's worth a visit to Batavia, Illinois.

J. Del Col
-- 
Jeff Del Col   * "Sleeplessness is like metaphysics.
A-B College    *  Be there."
Philippi, WV   * 
               * ----Charles Simic----

---

From: [email-masked] (Craig Mathew)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 20:03:10 PST

>> Or, does anyone know of anyone?  Please e-mail (preferably) or post.
>> 
>> Thanks, in advance,
>> 
>> Brian ([email-masked])
>
>
>The Cleveland, Ohio area metroparks has planted / burned / maintained a 
small
>tall grass area for the last ?? years. I have visited many times and it 
is
>quite impressive. 

Hi,
  When I lived in Kansas City a couple of years ago I remember seeing 
signs 
along the roadsides that indicated there were native prairie grasses 
being 
grown there.  I don't remember what the "fine print" on the signs said, 
but I think it indicated some sort of study and preservation of these 
native grasses.  I think some university or perhaps the Agricultural 
Extension Service in the Kansas City area would be able to tell you more 
about studies like that in the K.C. area.

Hope this helps,
Joan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Mar 95 14:44:42 EST

In article <[email-masked]>, "Brian P. Wallick -- LM03 (x5177)" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hi out there!

The Cleveland, Ohio area metroparks has planted / burned / maintained a small
tall grass area for the last ?? years. I have visited many times and it is
quite impressive. 

You might give them a call. Good luck.

Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Naylor)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 04:10:15 -0600

> >> botany department that might into this sort of thing.

You might try Kansas State University. I believe they maintain a large
research prairie (Konza?) in the Kansas Flint hills area.

-- 
Jim Naylor    (Lurkers Anonymous)

---

From: [email-masked] (Glenn M. Berntson)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 09:59:23 -0400

I recommend posting this request on the sci.bio.ecology newsgroup - you
would undoubtedly get a few responses there.

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey A. Del Col)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 13:13:27 GMT

J. Del Col

---

From: [email-masked] (Craig Mathew)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 20:03:10 PST

small
is

Hi,

Hope this helps,
Joan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Mar 95 14:44:42 EST

Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Naylor)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 04:10:15 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Glenn M. Berntson)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 09:59:23 -0400

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 09:19:41 EST

In article <[email-masked]>
Bill Terrill <[email-masked]> writes:
 
> You might also contact the Nature Conservancy. Prairie restoration is one of
>their MAJOR projects along with wetlands preservation. I am sure they will be
>happy to share their resources.
 
Also contact the Oklahoma National Wildlife Federation in Oklahoma City,
OK.  A few years ago they worked to establish a Tall Grass Praire National
Park and had an impressive research base.  And it wouldn't hurt to check
out the results of their efforts.
 
Dave Vanderhoof

---

From: Bill Terrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 23:17:13 -0500