Subject: Tomato tree

From: [email-masked] (Polar)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 09:13:49 GMT

Anybody ever try these?  I saw an ad in a magazine that had this 
immaculate-looking tomato tree, with HUGE fruits on it.  Seemed a lot 
better than sprawling vines on ground or in cages, but I'm cagey..

I'm in Zone ? So.Calif.   

Any advice appreciated.

Polar

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 09:19:02 -0600

> better than sprawling vines on ground or in cages, but I'm cagey..

The plant in question is _Cyphomandra betacea_, not true tomato, _Lycopersicon
esculentum_.  Both are in the Solanaceae (potato/tomato/petunia family),
and both plants have stinky leaves.  There, I think, the resemblance
ends.

You may be able to get a crop off of Cyphomandra in southern California,
but these will not be tomatoes, nor do they strongly resemble tomatoes
in flavor.

"Tree tomatoes" have been a great gimmick for companies like Michigan
Bulb, selling out of the backs of the Sunday supplements... (Ever wonder
why there's only drawings in these ads, not photos?  There's a reason...)

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 09:19:02 -0600

---

From: Kathy
Date: 30 Mar 1995 20:48:21 GMT

> better than sprawling vines on ground or in cages, but I'm cagey..

Polar,
My friend and I also bought one of those neat tomato trees. We both live  
in So CAL (beach). Her's died (she had it growing in a pot), but mine is  
still growing (in ground). It is about  3-4 feet tall and has about 6  
large umbrella like leaves on it. I bought it a year ago and have not seen  
any fruit on it. ONly leaves, no flowers, etc... It has a pretty thick  
stalk. I am hoping that maybe some day it will reward me with a tomato. I  
have decided though that it will prob not look like the picture.

Good luck.

KATHY

---

From: [email-masked] (Brent Barmore)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 01:16:29 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]  
Ive seen tomato trees advertised, Im not sure they are actually a tree. 
I am sure that if you purchase a standard indeterminate type tomato and 
prune the leaves and branches that form on the lower part of the stem, 
leaving the growing tip untill you have reached the desired height 
(4 feet or more) you will have a tree like plant with a stem about 1 1/2"
thick. Initially, you may have to stake the plant untill the trunk catches
up with its height. Fertilize well and step back....Also to set fruit
you will have to pollinate the flowers, you can simply do this my tunking
the trunk lightly daily. Remember tomatos like lots of sun.

---

From: [email-masked] (Roderick Carr)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 17:42:58 GMT

: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]  
: (Polar) writes:
: > Anybody ever try these?  I saw an ad in a magazine that had this 
: > immaculate-looking tomato tree, with HUGE fruits on it.  Seemed a lot 
: > better than sprawling vines on ground or in cages, but I'm cagey..

These might be "tree tomatoes" or tamarillos, as we in NZ call them - the 
fruits are not tomatoes at all, but a tart fruit that is really good 
peeled (pour over boiling water. leave a couple of minutes then remove 
skin) with sugar or in some casseroles eg beef types.  It would not, not, 
not make a good pasta sauce or be appealing in a salad :-)

There is a thread in the newsgroup about 20 above this one about them.

Good luck

Jenny Carr
kiwi in exile

---

From: [email-masked] (Brent Barmore)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 01:16:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Roderick Carr)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 17:42:58 GMT

Good luck

Jenny Carr
kiwi in exile

---

From: [email-masked] (Brent Barmore)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 01:16:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Roderick Carr)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 17:42:58 GMT

Good luck

Jenny Carr
kiwi in exile