Subject: jade plant

From: [email-masked]
Date: 06 Apr 1995 00:08:19 PST

To; [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Re: Jade plants

   If your jade plant's leaves are squishy, then probably underwatering
wasn't the problem. Jades do best if they're allowed to dry out before
watering -- they're better underwatered than overwatered. They don't
need full sun, but the leaves will be small if they don't get enough
light.
   I always take mine outside in spring (after frost is past) and set it
where it will get full sun for a couple of hours in the morning, but
bright light all day -- light shade is good. This always induces a real
growth spurt! Just don't leave it in full sun too long -- jades will
sunburn.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary V. Deutschmann Sr.)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 12:49:39 GMT

Any plant, taken from indoors and placed outside will sunburn, just like
you would, if someone stuck you in the sun.

Jade plants purchased locally, probably came from outdoor fields in
Sunny California, where cutting were taken from large trees.

Unless you overwatered your Jade, to the point that root rot occurred,
withering leaves indicate that the plant has insufficient water in its
system and its drying out.  Although Jade is a succulent, it is still a
very thirsty one, and should be cared for as any regular houseplant.

Just a note, I raise Jade plants in a hydroculture system, where they are
always standing in water.

Gary