Subject: Re: Topiary

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Mar 95 13:27:02 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, Joe Szurek <[email-masked]> writes:
> Can anyone recommend any good books or other sources on topiary?
> I'm looking specifically for info on how to create a "sculpture" by
> building a wire frame, but I need some good advice on what to fill
> it with, what kind of plants to use, how to water (or build in a 
> watering system), etc.

The "topiary" I see today is usually a mesh frame mounted on a post,
and filled with growing medium and sphagnum moss, much like lining
a wire basket for hanging baskets.  Something like _Ficus pumila_,
creeping fig, is planted on the spagnum, and trimmed with scissors
if it gets too out of bounds.

The topiary I'm more familiar with involves many years of training
and selective pruning of a shrub or tree to produce a living 
sculpture.  It's pretty gardener-intensive....  ;-)

I believe Longwood Gardens has an extensive topiary area, but
I've not been there: I've only seen slides from a friend's internship
there.  There was a rather dramatic spirally-pruned Chamaecyparis (?)
that I recall.

Kay Klier   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Kelley)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 20:06:58 -0500

There is a beautiful house and garden about 25 miles northeast-ish of 
Baltimore City called Ladew Gardens.  It has a very extensive collection 
of topiary.  Some of the figures include a hunting scene with a horse and 
rider, hounds and a fox.  During the summer, they have polo matches and 
concerts.  At the Christmas holidays, the house is open for tours. It is a 
fabulous place to visit if you are in Baltimore and interested in topiary.

Happy gardening

meg, not paul

-- 
Paul Kelley at [email-masked]