Subject: Damping off

From: [email-masked] (Frances Whited, 216/569-5291)
Date: 31 Mar 95 14:17:19 -0400

I'm SOOOO excited that my various seedlings are looking good and seem to be
growing well under the artificial light I've provided. They look strong and
are just about ready to put out their first true leaves. 

Should I be doing something in particular to prevent damping off? Is there a
point past which it will no longer be a danger?

Thanks!
Frances

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Maroni)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 01:29:55 GMT

You can sprinkle some **milled** sphagnum moss on the surface of the soil 
up close to the stems.  Dampen the moss by misting it.  This trick was 
suggested to me years ago by a nurseryman, and I haven't had a case of 
damping off since.  Just be careful to buy the milled moss, available at 
garden supply stores.  Otherwise, you get big chunks of stuff that 
doesn't nestle down near the plantlets. 

Frances Whited, 216/569-5291 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm SOOOO excited that my various seedlings are looking good and seem to be
: growing well under the artificial light I've provided. They look strong and
: are just about ready to put out their first true leaves. 

: Should I be doing something in particular to prevent damping off? Is there a
: point past which it will no longer be a danger?

: Thanks!
: Frances

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Maroni)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 01:29:55 GMT

: Thanks!
: Frances