Subject: hardening off seedlings?

From: [email-masked] (Craig Mathew)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 20:28:00 PST

Hello all,
  This is the first year I've ever had a garden, and fortunately I've been 
pretty lucky with starting pepper and tomato seeds indoors on a lighted 
plant rack (used the APS-24 systems from Gardener's Supply Co -- good 
stuff!).  I have a *bunch* of plants that are thriving and looking like 
they're almost ready to go outdoors permanently.  Now for the big question: 
 I've read several books on gardening that discuss "hardening off" but I'm 
interested in getting the opinions of knowledgeable gardeners here in the 
group.  How do YOU do this?
  By the way, I live in the Dallas area where temperatures have been in the 
70s and 80s since last Friday.  My garden has really progressed with all 
this good weather since I've spent lots of time outdoors planting, tilling, 
sprinkling, mulching, etc.!  Now I need to transplant everything from the 
plant rack so I can start some more seeds indoors!

Help?!

Thanks much,
Joan

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 03:48:57 GMT

>plant rack so I can start some more seeds indoors!

In my personal experience, most plants will survive being 
transplanted without hardening off, but there is a real
setback to growth with this method.  On the other hand,
the indoors/outdoors dance can get to be a real pain.

Chris Owens

---

From: "G. Bisco" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 12:17:14 GMT

Oops, I think I sent an empty post--sorry!

I use coldframes to harden off seedlings. The coldframe provides
shelter from wind and precipitation; usually I don't count on
it to keep the seedlings much warmer than the outdoor temperature,
though it does keep them from being hit by frost. I leave the 
sash off during the day unless it is going to rain (or snow), or 
unless it is very windy (in which case I prop the sash up but leave 
it on). I usually put the sash on at night. The coldframes are shaded by a tree
in the afternoon. Seedlings stay in the coldframes
for one to two weeks before setting out.

My coldframes are homemade from scrap wood and old window sashes. 
They are leaky but it is still of utmost importance to have them well
ventilated when the sun is shining. Roasting is more of 
a danger to them than getting chilled.

If you can provide similar conditions (shelter from wind, 
precipitation and frost) without a coldframe, such as on a porch 
or patio, the seedlings will probably be just as happy.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 03:48:57 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: "G. Bisco" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 12:17:14 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Miles)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 20:42:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Craig Mathew <[email-masked]> wrote:
>.... (deleted)
>I have a *bunch* of plants that are thriving and looking like 

Perhaps there's something more complex, but I simply expose the plants to
direct sun, wind, and outside temperatures for an increasing amount of time
over several days.  Even in a warm climate as in Dallas, there's real risk
of sun scald or dessication of tender new plants in the wind.  warning:
my experience is limited to cooler climates.

			-frank