Subject: Re: What plants thrive under Pine Trees

From: [email-masked] (Hal Skurnick)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 00:26:48 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Virginia Boehm) writes: 

>
>In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] 
>(thirlwak) writes: 
>
>>
>>Hi, I just moved in to a house with three pine trees in the front yard.
>>
>>I have cut off the lower branches about three feet above ground.  
>>Now I am looking for some flowers, plants, etc. that will grow in 
>>the acidic soil that is underneath the trees.
>>
>>The plot faces south and will get the sun most of the day.  
>>Central Alberta, Canada climate.  Warm dry winds.  Elevation 3000 ft.
>>Growing season of 100 to 110 days. 
>>
>
>The key consideration is soil ph.  Pines make the soil very acid.  Pick 
>stuff that likes acid soil.
>
>      Gini
>

I've found that hardy cyclamens will flourish right up to the tree
trunk. Planted the corms and it took about 3 - 4 months before
even a hint of a shoot appeared last spring/summer. But they did
well and were evergreen to zone 5. Just bought some more for 
additional pine trees on the property..