Subject: Re: china dol

From: [email-masked] (Only Jules)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 09:19:46 -0500

Hey!  I've have the same question!  Any tips on growing this plant?  I
bought mine at a discount store for 1.99, and it is green and full.  I
believe partial sun, plenty of water.  So far, I feed it the same as I
feed my African violets.  I'll keep watching for an answer.

---

From: [email-masked] (WEIR ANDREW L)
Date: 15 Mar 95 18:33:15 GMT

>feed my African violets.  I'll keep watching for an answer.

This is a lovely plant and yet details on care seem to be hard to find.
Many houseplant guides I've looked at don't even mention it. I did find
it in one book yesterday however - they said good light, regular water,
and feeding biweekly during the growing season. My own plant is positively
thriving in a 14 inch pot in bright shade in  a warm room (about 50 at night,
70 in the day). I don't know about the fertilizer - I followed the instructions
on the Miracle gro plant spikes, and seemed to burn the plant last year. My
suspicion is that it doesn't like a lot of feeding - probably does well in a 
poor soil. Also it is possible to overwater. I tend to wait until the stems
start to droop. I'd appreciate hearing from anybody with more experience
dealing with this plant. Its one of my favourite indoor plants and I'd like
to keep it healthy. By the way, mine is now about 3 feet tall and 4 feet across.How large do they get?

Andy

---

From: [email-masked] (WEIR ANDREW L)
Date: 15 Mar 95 18:33:15 GMT

Andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Ann Diehm)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 02:38:47 GMT

Andy,

I have a China doll, purchased in a garden shop.  I have it in a north 
window, feed every week as I do African Violets (same fertilizer) water 
frequently but allow excess to drain off and mist about every other day.  
It has been growing vigorously for over a year.  It does NOT like heat 
and in the summer I put it outside in the shade and spray/water 
frequently.  It is beautiful and full.  I keep it pinched back to about 
two and a half feet.

Ann