Subject: Re: Air layering

From: [email-masked] (Craig Mathew)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 07:33:18 PST

Hello all,
  Kay, that was an *excellent* description of the air-layering process!  
Thanks for sharing that...
  As a testimonial to the technique, I have done it very successfully on 
rubber plants.  I started out with one, rather tall, rubber plant my mother 
had given me and now I have 2 shorter (more pleasing in appearance) plants 
plus another one that's being air-layered.  Pretty soon my foyer, living 
room, and dining room will be filled with these lovely plants by using this 
method!
  I also found that after I air-layered my rubber plant the remaining piece 
(the bottom piece that was the "original") started branching out nicely 
because the growing tip had been interrupted from its usual straight-up 
direction.
  Probably the only addition I would make to the procedure outlined in Kay's 
message below is that after sticking the toothpicks into the slits I would 
probably cut them off bluntly near the stem so that the sphagnum ball would 
fit around it more easily and so the picks won't puncture the plastic wrap 
that goes 'round that whole area.
  Also, I read somewhere that the *only* watering that should be done during 
this whole period is to the sphagnum ball, NOT the mother plant.  This was 
supposed to encourage the root growth for the division by causing the plant 
to grow roots where the only water source is located...does anyone have 
comments on this step in the procedure?
  For my dieffenbachia I found that just whacking off a piece of the stem 
and sticking it in soil would result in a nice, new plant.  In fact, I had 
an old stalk that I was given by a colleague and I chopped it into several 
4" pieces, stuck them in dirt in separate pots, and now I have numerous 
lovely plants around the house.  But...obviously that's not the air-layering 
method.
  Now for my question:  What kinds of plants should be divided with 
air-layering, what kinds can be chopped up, etc.?  Can you suggest a good, 
basic-level book (for neophytes such as myself) that will clearly describe 
the processes and which is used for different plants?

Thanks much,
Joan

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 00:45:19 GMT

>Joan
Hi Joan; you can air layer most plants with a thicker "trunk".  Phillodendrond, Dreaceana
and Ficus spp.

( I did a propgation demo in College when I studied Horticultural 
technology. )

As far as good books on tropicals go, I would suggest going
to you library and brows.  The time life series was good 
and the Sunset books are excellent for introductory levels.

I Hope that helps!

Derryl

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 00:45:19 GMT

I Hope that helps!

Derryl

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 00:45:19 GMT

I Hope that helps!

Derryl