Subject: Cover newly seeded lawn with straw or peat??

From: [email-masked] (Scott Brian Moore)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 05:39:16 GMT

I'm seeding a new lawn and want to know which is better to cover the lawn
with, straw or peat moss?  I realize that peat moss is more expensive and I
need coverage for 10K sq/ft but which is better for holding moisture and
preventing the seeds from blowing away, etc??  Thanks in advance

Scott
[email-masked]
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 22:01:30 GMT

Definetley straw get the second cutting as the first will have the
seed heads still.  Peat is extremely acidic and that is the exact
opposite of what grass likes!!!  So the peat may be good for
retaining moisture but it hinders the growing of the grass as
grass likes a limey soil.

good luck - martin

  In article <[email-masked]>, Scott Brian Moore
([email-masked]) writes: >I'm seeding a new lawn and want to know
which is better to cover the lawn >with, straw or peat moss?  I
realize that peat moss is more expensive and I >need coverage for 10K
sq/ft but which is better for holding moisture and >preventing the
seeds from blowing away, etc??  Thanks in advance >

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 06:45:26 GMT

>[email-masked]

Straw should be fine.  However it is not really needed.  When you prep your 
lawn area you will be using a rake to scratch the soil and loosen up the top 
1/2 inch of soil.  You will then put down your fertilizer and grass seed and 
then use an empty roller to flatten out the soil and thereby setting the seed 
into the soil.  The seed will now not be blown away and you can water the area 
as needed.  Keep an eye out for when the seed germinates because if the soil 
dries out completely before the grass is established it can die.
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************