Subject: Variegated plants from seed?

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 18:45:43 GMT

Does anyone out there have any expertise regarding sexual propagation
of plants with variegated foliage. Do (all, some, none, any) come true
from seed?  Any help appreciated.  Post reply or e-mail.
Don Martinson				
[email-masked]

"Existing order thrives upon ignorance and lies.  
Objective truth and individual reason are feared above all."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Mar 95 15:01:05 -0600

> from seed?  Any help appreciated.  Post reply or e-mail.

Some do, some don't and most seedlings vary from their parents.  Plants
with variegated foliage like Coleus usually carry variegation in the
succeeding generations, while many other plants (esp. the ones with
white-striped leaves, which are usually chimeric) don't come true
from seed.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Azureus)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 08:59:24 -0500

>Kay Klier  [email-masked]

For chimeras, I've noticed that if the seed pod shows any variegation at
all,
the seeds inside will almost always produce more chimeras.

April

Path:
newsbf01.news.aol.com!newstf01.news.aol.com!newsjunkie.ans.net!howland.res
ton.ans.net!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!uwm.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!hobbes.physics.u
iowa.edu!cobra.uni.edu!klier
From: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Variegated plants from seed?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 95 15:01:05 -0600
References: <[email-masked]>
Organization: University of Northern Iowa
Lines: 13