Subject: Soil PH

From: [email-masked] (Steve Graf)
Date: 27 Mar 1995 18:33:32 -0600

I would appreciate it if someone could share their thoughts  and/or 
experiences with those inexpensive home soil PH testing kits.  I 
purchased one recently which indicated my soil's PH was 7.0, however, 
I've rhododendrons and conifers growing inthe area of the tested soil and 
they are doing just fine.  Just HOW accruate are these kits?  TIA.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:50:34 -0700

TIGIBSON ([email-masked]) wrote:
: in my master gardening class we have been told by almost every speaker
: that the home kits are unreliable enough to not bother with them.
: getting it tested through your county extension agency or a land grant
: university is inexpensive and you get a pretty good analysis.

: tigibson
	We've tested with cheap home kits in my hort classes for over a 
decade and found them quite adequate.  You might not be able to 
distinguish between 6.7 and 6.8 but in most cases there's no practical 
need for such accuracy.  For a bit more money you can get a very good 
home test from LaMotte Chemical.
Jerry Heverly, Inst. of hort., Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA
-- 

Jerry Heverly, Oakland, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 14:38:16 -0400

in my master gardening class we have been told by almost every speaker
that the home kits are unreliable enough to not bother with them.
getting it tested through your county extension agency or a land grant
university is inexpensive and you get a pretty good analysis.

tigibson

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:50:34 -0700

: tigibson

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 14:38:16 -0400

tigibson

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 14:38:16 -0400

tigibson