Subject: Re: Need Dogwood Advice

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 11:44:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (steve
defreese) wrote:

>... My question is when is the time to transplant the young
> dogwoods that I am finding on my property.  The dogwoods are in the 
> back of the property and I would like to transplant some in the front
> of the house where I don't have much vegetation. ...

   The best time to transplant deciduous trees is in the fall so their
roots can grow and establish overwinter before they start to evaporate
water through their leaves.  A good method for transplanting trees or
large shrubs is to use a shovel to cut around half or the tree now...about
12-18" away from the trunk (the size of the root you intend to keep with
the tree).  I'm assumming you're talking about fairly small trees, less
than 10' tall.  About mid summer, cut around the other half.  By fall the
tree will have developed new feeder roots on the cut roots and will not so
much feel the loss of the other roots.  Keep as much soil on the roots as
possible, but most will survive if you just move the root without a ball
of soil.  If you expose the roots, get them back into the soil as quickly
as possible and don't let them dry out or stay in direct sunlight. 
Dogwoods are shallow rooted so are fairly easy to move, but you may need
to provide a support if you're in a windy location.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney ---Opinions, just opinions---

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 16:16:15 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (steve
defreese) wrote:
>We live in north Louisiana and about six months ago built a house on 
>five acres of land.  The dogwoods are in bloom and are really quite 
>beautiful.  My question is when is the time to transplant the young
>dogwoods that I am finding on my property.  

Hi Kay, Merdeith in East Tenn here.  I found that the most successful
transplanting of Dogwoods is the Fall, usually mid-late October when the hot
days are gone.  I dig up all around the tree's outside branches, and haul as
much of the "native" dirt with me as I possibily can.  The hole I dig for
new placement is twice and wide as what I am bringing and about six inches
deeper.  I fill it with pine bark mulch - the really fine kind.  Then lots
of water.

I do not add any more fertilizer until the following spring after it has
bloomed.  Be sure to check your trees for signs of disease, tree worms, etc
before mobving it.  Native trees seem to be holding up better against the
diseases attacking the hybrid kinds.

Good Luck.

Meredith

---

From: [email-masked] (Wheeler Sandra C)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 21:27:08 GMT

We are in southern Louisiana, and have moved into a house which already had
six dogwood trees of perhaps 5 years growth.  My question is not how to
transplant, but what is wrong with these poor trees?  They hardly bloom, and
the ones at the front of the house look like brittle sticks by late summer.
The ones in the back, where there is tons of shade, look fairly healthy, but
do not have any bloom to speak of.  The shade is all deciduous trees--water
oaks and sweet gums--so they get sun in winter and early spring.  The ones
at the front of the house get sun until noon, then shade.  

I was told dogwood are not native to southern Louisiana--is this true?  Maybe
that is the problem.

---

From: [email-masked] (steve defreese)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 21:57:35 GMT

We live in north Louisiana and about six months ago built a house on 
five acres of land.  The dogwoods are in bloom and are really quite 
beautiful.  My question is when is the time to transplant the young
dogwoods that I am finding on my property.  The dogwoods are in the 
back of the property and I would like to transplant some in the front
of the house where I don't have much vegetation.  Do I need to wait 
until the Fall to do this and how do I prepare the soil for the trans-
planting and how about fertilizing?  Any info would be helpful 
especially from those of you living in the South and are familiar with
the type of weather we have here.

Thanks,    Kay DeFreese

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:19:23 GMT

>Thanks,    Kay DeFreese
 
You should wait until the late fall to do this.  I could move my dogwoods 
now because they don't even have leaves on them yet :-{ . They majority of 
dedicious trees have to be moved when their leaves are gone.  Late fall until 
early spring.  What you should do now is root prune the trees you want to 
move.  If the diameter of the trunk is about 1.5 inches take a spade and push 
it into the ground about 1 foot from the tree and circle the tree in this 
manner.  That way you will cut to long roots and force the tree to grow roots 
closer to the tree.  when you dig up the plants in the fall there will be more 
roots around the trunk to hold the root ball together.

Don
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 11:44:38 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 16:16:15 GMT

Good Luck.

Meredith

---

From: [email-masked] (Wheeler Sandra C)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 21:27:08 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:19:23 GMT

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 11:44:38 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 16:16:15 GMT

Good Luck.

Meredith

---

From: [email-masked] (Wheeler Sandra C)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 21:27:08 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:19:23 GMT

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 07:21:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (steve defreese) says:
> Do I need to wait 
HI Kay; the question is are we talking dogwood shrubs or trees??

The fact that they are already blooming does make it tough
as a spring project. :-) ( They bloom about July up calgary way :-).

But, I presume that the leaves fall off in the fall, as it is with 
our dogwoods ( Native to banff and Waterton Park ) I would suggest
waiting til spring Before the leaves pop, and do it then.  

Take as much of the rootball as possible, and handle gently.

The soil could probably use peat moss.  Plant them at the same 
depth they were in the woods.  if we are talking trees, stake
them for a year.  Other wise water and feed them hi Phosphate
10 50 10 fertilizer.

That should do the trick Email me at [email-masked] and 
let ne know how things went.

Derryl Killan