Subject: FAQ: Herbs

From: Brian Lo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:43:51 -0800

Herbs

      Herb production may be for culinary purposes (food flavoring), for
scents and fragrances (potpourris), for medicinal uses or others (dyes, dried
floral arrangements etc).  Herb producers often grow for all these markets,
and some herbs may be used for all these purposes.

      Some of the most popular culinary herbs grown commercially and by home
gardeners and hobbyists are:  Basil, cilantro (coriander), chervil, dill,
oregano, mint, parsley, rosemary, sage, tarragon and thyme. 

      Information on herbs may be obtained from library references, seed
catalogues, special garden books and some public bulletins.  Because of the
highly special nature of herb production, public bulletins are minimal and the
information contained in them is very general.  For these reasons, this
document will only give a limited amount of general information on culinary
herbs or those that may be used for culinary and other uses.  Medicinal herbs
are so specialized and often controversial that mention of their use will be
ancillary, and only if the herb is also used for culinary purposes.

      Herbs most commonly grown in the Pacific Northwest are mostly adapted to
sunny or occasionally mostly sunny, warm locations.  Those listed are general-
ly adapted to a wide range of soil types.  Herbs need minimal irrigation,
particularly as they mature and their aromatic and flavor compounds are
developing.  

      Fertilizer requirements are basic, usually being limited to N, P, and K. 
In some cases lime is needed to maintain soil pH near neutral, but most are
adapted to a wide range of soil pH. (5.5-7.5).  Nitrogen is usually applied at
75-150 lbs./acre depending on the harvested product (leaves or seeds).  Timing
of nitrogen applications is dependent on whether the species is annual,
biennial or perennial.  Phosphorous is applied at 50-200 lbs./acre and
potassium at 0-150 lbs./acre depending on the above-mentioned characteristics
of the crop and soil test.

      Few pesticides are registered for use in herb production.  In some cases
special restrictions apply to the use of pesticides in products that will be
concentrated (distilled or processed in certain ways.

      Harvest timing and equipment are also specific to the herbs being
produced.  Often, considerable hand labor is required in production and
harvest operations, particularly when the marketable leafy portions of some
must be separated from stems, or where only the floral parts are required. 
Small motorized clippers are often used as harvester aids.  Sometimes, when
seeds are the marketable product, combines, often specially adapted, are used. 
Where the distilled oil is the marketable product, there are those who provide
custom distillation using portable or stationary stills.

      The harvested product often requires immediate special handling such as
drying, separation of leaves or seed, and temporary packaging storage to best
preserve its color, aroma, flavor, the integrity of its appearance and
sanitary condition.  

      The following is a tabular listing of some of the herbs that may be
produced in the Pacific Northwest, a brief description, their taxonomic
classification, common synonyms, general uses, and production considerations. 

      Five characteristics or cultural practices considerations are coded and
separated by backslash (/).  The codes are represented as follows:

   Life cycle: annual (a)/ biennial (b)/ perennial (p).
   Established by: Seed (s)/ divisions (d)/ cuttings (c)/ or transplants (t).
   Planting time: Spring (sp)/ after frost danger (af)/ fall (fa).
   Plant size: as listed next.
   Preferred site: Full sun (fs)/ part shade (ps)/ also a potted plant (pot).

      Uses are represented by the column headings:

   Flavorings (FLA), tea (TEA), fragrances (FRA), ornamental (ORN) and folk
medicine (MED):

NAME/SYNONYMS Latin name                                    USES
      (cycle/establishment/time/size/location)  FLA   TEA   FRA   ORN   MED

Angelica  Angelica spp.  
      an herbacious aromatic herb.
      about 50 spp.  Sometimes planted for 
      bold ornamental effects.

   Angelica Angelica archangelica                  
      (b/s/fa/6-7'/ps, fs)                       x           x     x     x

Anise Pipinella spp.  Herbacious perennials
      and sometimes annuals numbering about
      75 species of which only anise is cul-
      tivated. 

   Anise Pimpinella anisum 
      (a/s/sp/1.5'/ms, fs)                       x           x           x

   Anise-hyssop/anise mint, Korean mint
      Agastache foeniculum
      (p/s/sp,fa/3-4'/fs)                        x     x     x     x     x

Balm (see lemon balm)

NAME/SYNONYMS Latin name                                    USES
      (cycle/establishment/time/size/location)* FLA   TEA   FRA   ORN   MED

Basil Ocimum spp.  About 60, little-known
      species of which only basil is im-
      portant.  More than a dozen types are
      grown for seasoning and their pleasing
      fragrance. Only the mored common ones 
      are listed.  Frost sensitive.

   Basil, bush O. bascilicum                    
      (a/s/sp-af/1'/fs)                          x                 x

   Basil, cinnamon O. basilicum      
      (a/s/sp-af/2'/fs)                          x           x     x

   Basil, Genovese/sweet Italian O. basilicum
      (a/s/sp-af/2'/fs)                          x           x     x

   Basil, purple ruffles O. basilicum      
      (a/s/sp-af/1.5'/fs)                              x                 x

   Basil, licorice O. basilicum                       
      (a/s/sp-af/2'/fs)                                x                 x

   Basil, sweet  Ocimum basilicum (main basil used)
      (a/s/sp-af/2'/fs)                          x           x     x

   Basil, lemon O. basilicum citrodorum    
      (Sweet Dani - new, true breeding variety
      from Purdue University New Crops Center)
      (a/s/sp-af/2'/fs)                          x     x     x     x

   Basil, dark opal O. basilicum purpurescence
      (a/s/sp-af/1'/fs)                          x           x     x

   Basil, sacred O. basilicum sanctum      
      (a/s/sp-af/2'/fs)                                x     x     x     x

   Basil, spicy globe O. basilicum minimum       
      (a/s/sp-af/6"/fs, pot)                     x           x     x

Bee Balm (see Bergamot)

Bergamot/beebalm  Monarda didyma           
      (p/d,s/sp/2'-4'/fs,ps)                           x           x     x

Borage Borago officinalis
      (a/s,t/sp-af/2'/fs)                        x                 x     x

NAME/SYNONYMS Latin name                                    USES
      (cycle/establishment/time/size/location)  FLA   TEA   FRA   ORN   MED

Burnet salad  Sanguisobia minor
      (p/s/sp/1'/fs)                             x                 x

Calamintha (see Savory)

Calendula, pot marigold Calendula officinalis    
      both orange and yellow types available.
      (a/s/sp/1'-2'/fs)                          x                 x     x

Caraway  Carum carvi
      (a,b/s/sp,fa/2'-3'/fs)                     x                       x

Catnip Nepeta cataria
      (p/s,t/sp/2'-5'/fs)                        x     x     x     x     x

Chamomile Matricaria recutita an important
      medicinal plant.

   Chamomile/German chamomile Matricaria recutita
      (a/s,d/sp/2'-3'/fs)                              x     x     x     x

   Chamomile/Roman chamomile Chamaemelum nobile 
      (p/s,d/sp,fa/1'/fs)                              x     x     x     x

Chervil Anthriscus cerefolium
      (a/s/sp/1'-2'/ps,fs) bolts easily          x           x     x     x

Chives Allium schoenoprasum
      (p/s,d/sp/1'/fs,pot)                       x                 x

Chives/Chinese garlic/garlic chives
      Allium tuberosum (p/s,d/sp,fa/1'/fs,pot)   x                       x

Citronella (see lemongrass)

Cilantro Coriandrum sativum (the Spanish name 
      for coriander, grown for the fresh leaves);
      bolts at high temperatures. Use bolting
      resistant varieties, or grow during cool
      weather.
      (a/s/sp,af/1'-2'/fs,ps,pot)                x           x           x

Coriander Coriandrum sativum (same as cilantro 
      but grown for its seed) 
      (a/s/sp/3'/fs)                             x           x           x

Cress, curly, garden, pepper-grass Lepidium sativum
       (b/s/sp/6"/fs,pot)                        x

NAME/SYNONYMS Latin name                                    USES
      (cycle/establishment/time/size/location)  FLA   TEA   FRA   ORN   MED

Cress, water Nasturtium officinale
      (p/s/sp/6"/fs)                             x

Cress, winter/upland, Barbarea vulgaris 
      (b,s/sp,6"/fs,pot)                         x

Cumin Cuminum cyminum
      (a/s/sp/1'-2'/fs) like coriander           x                       x

Dill Anethum graveolens
      (a/s/sp/2'-3'/fs)                          x           x           x

Fennel, Florence Foeniculum vulgare dulce 
      (perennial, but grown as an annual) Grown 
      for its bulb.  Zefa fino (Royal Sluis) 
      best root type evaluated, and resistance 
      to bolting (Indiana).  Days from seeding 
      to harvest range from 100 to 120. 
      (p,a/s/sp/3'-4'/fs)                        x           x           x

Fenugreek Trigonella foenum-graecum                                           
      (a/s/sp/1'-3'/fs)                          x           x           x

Geranium, scented Pelargonium spp. Warm areas.
      Several forms and hybrids include:  Rose-
      scented P. capitatum, nutmeg P. fragrans,
      apple P. odoratissimum, lemon P. crispum,
      pine-scented P. denticulatum, mint P. 
      tomentosum and others!
      (p/c/sp/1'-3'/fs,pot)                      x           x     x     x

Horehound, white Marrubium vulgare
      (p/s/sp/2'-3'/fs)                          x     x     x           x

Hyssop, blue Hyssopus officinalis
      (p/s,c,d/sp/2'-3'/fs)                      x     x           x     x

Lavender, true Lavandula vera, and more than 28 
      other species. Two main species, Lavandula 
      latifolia (spike, sweet,  lavender) and 
      L. angustifolia (English/French lavender)
      and their hybrids (some sterile) are used
      in commerce.
      (p/c,s/sp/2'-3'/fs)                        x     x     x     x     x

NAME/SYNONYMS Latin name                                    USES
      (cycle/establishment/time/size/location)  FLA   TEA   FRA   ORN   MED

Lemongrass/citronella Cymbopogon sp., primarily
      East Indian Cymbopogon flexusus, and West
      Indian Cymbopogon citratus 

Lemongrass
      (p/d/sp/3'/fs,pot) not winter-hardy        x     x     x           x

Lemon Balm Melissa officinalis
      (p/s,c,d/sp/1 1/2'-2'/fs)                  x     x     x     x     x

Lemon verbena Aloysia triphylla
      (p/c/sp/1'-2'/fs)                          x     x     x     x     x

Licorice Glycyrrhiza glabra
      (p/c,d,/3'-5'/fs)                          x                       x

Lovage Levisticum officinale
      (p/s,d/sp/3'-4'/fs,ps)                     x                       x

Marjoram, sweet Origanum majorana (see also 
      Oregano)
      (p/s,t/sp/1'-2'/fs)                        x           x     x     x

Mint Mentha sp.
   Japanese mint M. arvensis var. piperescens    x     x     x     x     x
   Peppermint M.x M. piperita var. vulgaris      x     x     x     x     x
       or M. x M. piperita var. officinalis      x     x     x     x     x
   Bergamot mint M.x M. piperita var. citrata    x     x     x     x     x
   Pennyroyal, European M. pulegium              x           x           x
       or American Hedeoma pulegioides           x           x           x
   Corsican mint M. requienii                    x     x     x     x     x
   Spearmint M. spicata                          x     x     x     x     x
   Apple mint M. suaveolens                      x     x     x     x     x
   Pineapple mint M. suaveolens var. variegata   x     x     x     x     x
      (p/s,c,d/sp,fa/1'-2'/fs,pot)

Mustard, condiment Brassica sp. 
   black B. nigra                                x                       x
   brown B. juncea                               x                       x
   white B. alba                                 x                       x
   yellow mustard B. hirta                       x                       x
      (a,b/s/sp/2'-5'/fs)                        x                       x

Nasturtium Tropaeolum majus
      (p,a/s/sp/1'-2'/fs, pot)                   x                 x

NAME/SYNONYMS Latin name                                    USES
      (cycle/establishment/time/size/location)  FLA   TEA   FRA   ORN   MED

Oregano is of primarily two unrelated genera,
      Origanum and Lippia.  European oregano is
      also call wild marjoram, winter marjoram, 
      oregano and organy, and is Origanum 
      vulgare.  Greek oregano, also called winter 
      sweet marjoram, or pot marjoram is 
      Origanum heracleoticum (formaly O. hirtum).
      Mexican oregano, also called Mexican sage, 
      origan, oregamon, wild marjoram, Mexican 
      marjoram or Mexican wild sage is Lippia 
      graveolens.

   Oregano, European Origanum vulgare
      (a/s/sp/1'-2'/fs,pot)                      x                 x     x

   Oregano, Greek Origanum heracleoticum 
      (p/c/sp/1'-2'/fs,pot)                      x                 x     x

   Oregano, Mexican Lippia graveolens (not in the 
      Labiatae family)
      (a/s/sp/1'-2'/fs,pot)                      x                 x     x

Parsley, curly and Italian Petroselinum hortense
      (b/s,t/sp/12"-18"/fs)                      x                 x     x

Pennyroyal (see "mint" above)

Poppy Papaver somniferum seed and opium poppy; 
      P. orientale morphine-free medicinal poppy.
      (a/s/sp/1'-3'/fs)                          x                 x     x

Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis
      (p/c,d,s,t/sp/2'-4'/fs,pot)                x           x     x     x

Saffron Crocus sativus
      (p/d/sp/12"-18"/fs,ps)                     x                 x

Sage Salvia officinales, several types including 
      dwarf, mammoth, purple, golden, and tricolor.  
      Others are: Pineapple S. elegans, Mexican 
      S. leucantha, scarlet S. splendens, and 
      Clary S. sclarea (a biennial).
      (p/d,c,s,t/sp/1'-3'/fs)                    x                 x     x

NAME/SYNONYMS Latin name                                    USES
      (cycle/establishment/time/size/location)  FLA   TEA   FRA   ORN   MED

Savory Satureja sp.  About 180 species. Aromatic 
      herbs and shrubs, border or pot-herb plants.  
      Warm regions. Two main types: Summer savory, 
      Satureja hortensis an annual and Winter or 
      creeping winter savory Satureja montana a 
      perennial.  An evergreen perennial used 
      mainly for tea is Satureja douglasii. 
      (a,p/s,c,t/sp/12"-18"/fs,pot)              x     x                 x

Sesame Sesamum indicum. (for warm areas only)
      (a/s/sp/1'-3'/fs)                          x                       x

Spearmint (see "mint" above)

Tarragone, French Artemisia dracunculus var. sativa
      Not winter-hardy.  The related Russian
      tarragon is more winter-hardy, but of 
      inferior quality.
      (p/c/sp,fa/1'-2'/fs,pot)                   x

Thyme, common, English, French, garden 
      Thymus vulgaris. Over 300 species
      and their hybrids such as lemon thyme 
      T. x citriodorus.
      (p/s,t/sp/2"-12"/fs,ps)                    x           x     x     x

   thyme, creeping T. serpyllum
      (p/s,t/sp/2"-4/fs)                                     x     x 

Valerian, garden heliotrope Valeriana officinalis
      (p/c,d,s,t/fa/3'-4'/fs)                    x     x           x     x

Wintergreen Gaultheria procumbens
      (p/c,d,s/sp/4"-6"/ps,pot)                  x                       x

Woodruff, sweet Galium odoratum
      (p/t/6"-12"/ps)                            x     x     x     x     x

HERBS BY MAIL

Seed and/or plants of the above-mentioned herbs are available from one or more
of the companies listed:

Abundant Life Seed Foundation, Box 772, Port Townsend, WA 98368
W. Atlee Burpee Co. 300 Park Avenue, Warminster, PA 18974
Comstock, Ferre & Co. P O Box 125, 263 Main Street, Wethersfield, CT 06109
Gurney Seed & Nursery Co. 1448 Page Street, Yankton, SD 57079
Johnny's Selected Seeds, Albion, ME 04910
J. W. Jung Seed Co. 335 S. High Street, Box H81, Randolph, WI 53956
Nichols Garden Nursery, 1190 North Pacific Highway, Albany, OR 97321
George W. Park Seed Co. P O Box 31, 398 Cokesbury Rd. Greenwood, SC 29647
Redwood City Seed Co. P O Box 361, Redwood City, CA 94064
Taylor's Herb Gardens.  1535 Lone Oak Road, Vista, CA 92084. 619/727-3485
Thompson & Moran Inc. P O Box 100, Farmingdale, NJ 07727

                         PEST CONTROL FOR HERBS

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW, TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST PEST
CONTROL HANDBOOKS, ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY, AND ARE REVISED ONLY ANNUALLY. 
BECAUSE OF CONSTANTLY CHANGING LABELS, LAWS, AND REGULATIONS, OREGON STATE
UNIVERSITY CAN ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF USE OF CHEMICALS
SUGGESTED HERE.  IN ALL CASES, READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND PRECAUTION-
ARY STATEMENTS ON THE SPECIFIC PESTICIDE PRODUCT LABEL.

                          USE PESTICIDES SAFELY!

Wear protective clothing and safety devices as recommended on the label. 
Bathe or shower after each use.

Read the pesticide label--even if you've used the pesticide before.  Follow
closely the instructions on the label (and any other directions you have).

Be cautious when you apply pesticides.  Know your legal responsibility as a
pesticide applicator.  You may be liable for injury or damage resulting from
pesticide use.

WEED CONTROL

     The Pacific Northwest Weed Control Handbook has no control entries for
this crop.  

     Cultivate as often as necessary when weeds are small.  Proper culti-
vation, field selection and rotations can reduce or eliminate the need for
chemical weed control.  

INSECT CONTROL

     The Pacific Northwest Insect Control Handbook has no control entries for
this crop.  

     Proper rotations and field selection can minimize problems with insects.

DISEASE CONTROL

     The Pacific Northwest Disease Control Handbook has no control entries for
this crop.  

     Proper rotations, field selection, sanitation, spacings, fertilizer and
irrigation practices can reduce the risk of many diseases.  Fields can be
tested for presence of harmful nematodes.  Using seed from reputable sources
reduces risk from "seed born" diseases.

         ---------------------------------------------------
         --------------------------------------------------- 
         This  information was prepared by the Oregon  State 
         University   Extension  Service  from  Oregon   and 
         Pacific  NW publications as well as other vegetable 
         production guidelines  from public institutions  in
         the U.S. and Canada.  These guidelines are intended
         as a general guide for Oregon  commercial vegetable
         producers.  Address  comments or questions  to your
         County  Extension   Agent  or  Dr.  N.  S. Mansour,
         Department of Horticulture, Oregon State University
         Corvallis, OR 9733l 
         --------------------------------------------------- 
         ---------------------------------------------------