Subject: RE:horsetails Help Me

From: [email-masked] (Terry L. Lauver)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:19:44 UNDEFINED

To: [email-masked] (Denise Henry)
From: [email-masked] (Terry L. Lauver)
Subject: Re: Horsetails Help Me
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:25:36 UNDEFINED

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Denise Henry) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Denise Henry)
>Subject: Re: Horsetails Help Me
>Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:47:00 +0000

>curt carlson ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: [email-masked] (John Pedlow) wrote:

>: >In article <[email-masked]>
>: >[email-masked] (Scott L David) writes:
>: >We have horsetails(Equisetum arensii) throughout the garden. While not
>: >unpleasant looking, they are invasive and pop up in unwanted places.
>: >anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.
>: > 
>: >i've asked garden stores, farm supply stores, etc how to eliminate them
>: >even the cooperative extension agent had no suggestion.  i tried continual
>: >cutting with a ribbon hoe (kept other weeds at bay but little effect on the
>: >ht.  i tried repeated applications of roundup (using the farm-supply
>: >concentration); i tried adding soap/detergent to roundup & roundup at very
>: >high cncentrations -- it stunted the horsetails.  last year i mentally
>: >blocked them out.  they own the perennial beds.
>: >john pedlow   in western new york state   [email-masked]

> I live in New York State (USA) and also have had experiences with 
invasive horsetails (Equisetum spp.), however, I have had little difficulty in 
controlling their growth.  You cannot totally eliminate them.  It is immune 
to Glyphosate (Roundup).  Fortunately, it is sensitive to 2,4-D. I routinely 
control weeds around my garden area with a mixture of Glyphosate and 2,4-D 
(Ortho Weed-B-Gone).  I realize that the Glyphosate (Roundup) won't have any 
effect on the Equisetum, but it is useful for other plants, e.g., Dandelions.  
I can assure you that within a few weeks of spraying, the Equisetum foliage 
will turn brown. From time to time, new shoots of Equisetum will sprout up 
from underground rhizomes...just "zap'em" with the herbicide.  Good Luck!