Subject: Re: Flower Press?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 18:30:51 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael Turner) writes:
> I am certainly out of my league here.  However, my wife would like to 
> preserve some flowers, and would like some information on a flower press 
> or something like that.  Inquiries at local florists resulted in 
> questionable stares.  The only positive response I received was at an 
> antique store, which was "I haven't seen one of those in years."

If she just wants to press some flowers (for flower notecards, for
instance), a phone book does fine.

Place the flowers in the position you want in the phone book,
shut it, and weight it.  Wait a few days.  If the flowers don't
lift off easily, let them dry a few more days.

If you want to "press plants like the professionals", you need
a couple of 12 x 18" pieces of 1/2" thick plywood (exterior grade,
preferably), a bunch of cardboard boxes you can cut up into 12 x
18" sheets (the corrugations should run parallel to the 12" direction),
a bunch of old tabloid newspapers, and a couple of ropes or load straps (I
use ANCRA brand load straps).

Lay out the press this way:

Put the two ropes or load straps on the floor or table, parallel
to each other, about 8" apart, and put one of the plywood sheets 
on top of the straps or ropes, with the 12" direction of the plywood
parallel with the rope.

Put a sheet of cardboard on top of the plywood, and open a single
sheet of a tabloid newspaper out, and place half of it on the 
cardboard.  Arrange the plant on the sheet of newspaper, using
wet newspaper strips to hold down recalcitrant parts.  Don't use
tape, you'll never get it off!

Close the newspaper fold, and put a complete newspaper section
on top of the closed paper.  Add another corrugate. Then a
specimen in a single sheet of newspaper, a section of newspaper...
continue until you're done, or your stack is over 3 ft tall...

Finish the stack with a final sheet of corrugated cardboard, and
the other piece of plywood.  Tighten the load straps or ropes
around the plant press (you may want a friend to sit on it or
kneel on it while you are tightening straps).

If you are using ropes, plain clothesline rope works the best.
Take a couple of 10-12 ft lengths of rope.  Tie a loop in one
end of each rope.

To make a herbarium press knot (alright, I know there's an
official name for it, I just don't remember!), take the
unknotted end of the rope, and pass it through the eye
that you made by tying the loop in the other end.
           :::::
          :     :
:::::::::::   __:___________>continues around stack of plywood and        
           :   \:___                specimens
            ::::
                    ^
^^^^^^^^^^          | loose end of rope.  Pull to tighten.
end of same
rope, with loop

When you've got the rope tight, put your thumb on the crossing point
of loop and free end.  

Take the free end of the rope, and make another loop around the
tightened rope.
       :::      ___
      :  _:____|__|_________________  rope around press
::::::   \:____|  |
       :::         \--- free end of rope

Take a loop of the free end again, and pull that new loop
through the loop you;d formed in the previous step, like you
were making a chain of crochet stitches.

Pull that loop firmly, and the rope should stay taut on the press.
To open this knot, just yank on the free end of the rope.

OK... you've got the press together, and the ropes or straps 
tight.

Put the press someplace where you can get good air flow through the
ridges of corrugated cardboard.  Traditionally, we set these
presses over low temperature sources of heat, like a light bulb,
or tie them to the roof of the car and let the breeze blow 
though.  An oven is too hot, an air conditioning duct (with
dehumidified air) is wonderful.  You want to remove moisture
as fast as possible, without cooking the specimens.

After the specimens have been in the press a couple of hours, 
the ropes or straps have probably loosened a bit from shrinkage
of the specimens.  If you want to check for wrinkles in the
flowers, do it now.  Retighten the press straps and continue
to dry.  Continue to tighten the straps every 8-12 hours.

At the end of a few days, the flowers should be dry.  If they
aren't dry in three days, you need to increase the heat, increase
the circulation of dry air, or change the entire newspaper section
that you put on top of each specimen. (swap these out for dry
newspapers every day).

White flowers inevitably turn beige, red and pink flowers usually
turn purply-black, blue flowers usually go lavender, and yellow
and orange flowers usually hold their color the best.

If your flowers are wrinkly or crinkly, the straps weren't tight 
enough in the drying process.  If the flowers (even the yellow
ones!) are brown or moldy, you're drying them too slowly.  If
your press catches fire, you've definitely got it too hot!

Experiment to see what methods work best for you.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 23:41:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Les Gainous) says:
>
>I have a relatively small lawn to mow. It's small enough for a manual, 
>"reel" type of mower (which I use) but that is getting old, fast.
>
>I want to "upgrade" to a regular mower, either electric or gas. I'm 
>leaning toward electric because I don't want to deal with buying, 
>storing, pouring gasoline. I could do without the noise of a gas mower, 
>too. Also, I would prefer a rear-bagging system.
>
>What are the advantages/disadvantages with an electric mower?

Hi Les, the newer mowers are usually double insulated and safe to use.

You would need a heavy duty extension cord and a three prong outlet to
plug it into.

Go shopping at a a store like SEars where you get customer service.
You should find a mower which should have what you want and be light 
to push.

Also, We can still buy push mowers here in Calgary, AB and maybe you can too.

Happy gardening

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked] (Rebecca Harper)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 00:38:42 GMT

Les Gainous ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have a relatively small lawn to mow. It's small enough for a manual, 
: "reel" type of mower (which I use) but that is getting old, fast.

: I want to "upgrade" to a regular mower, either electric or gas. I'm 
: leaning toward electric because I don't want to deal with buying, 
: storing, pouring gasoline. I could do without the noise of a gas mower, 
: too. Also, I would prefer a rear-bagging system.

why not upgrade to a newer better reel mower. The new ones are 
lightweight and non poluting and you get excercise as well!  (but i'm 
biased towards alternatives to fossil fuel consumption!)

happy mowing,
becky lee

--
****									****
* Rebecca Harper			    "Lead Paint, Delicious..       * 
* Historic Preservation Consultant  	    		                   *
* (503) 249-1379			     but DEADLY!"- Troy McClure    *
* [email-masked]							   * 
****									****

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Turner)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 16:38:03 GMT

Thanks,

Mike Turner

-- 
Michael R. Turner

---

From: [email-masked] (John T. Wu)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 22:50:30 GMT

: What are the advantages/disadvantages with an electric mower?

: Does it need a special extension cord (other than a common outdoor type)? 
: Is it safe when the lawn is damp? Etc...

: A big factor in my decision is I don't want to spend a whole lot of money!

: -- 
:                   _                        
:    /  __   _     /   _   . _  _       _    Les Gainous 
:  _/  (/_ _/_)_  /_  (_(_/_/|_(_)_(_)_/_)_  Voice: 714.218.0663
: (/\__          (__)              

I recently addressed this dilemma and decided to buy an electric 
rechargable mower.  I have only used it once, so I can't comment
on longevity.  But so far it has performed very well and it was
much easier to use than my neighbor's corded machine.

It does seem to have less power than the corded version, and 
you need to leave it plugged in between mowings.  But it provides
90 mins of cutting time.  My BD model was under $200.

John

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 03:51:26 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John T. Wu) 

>90 mins of cutting time.  My BD model was under $200.

John,

Where would I find a cordless mower? I've been to Sears and to Home 
Depot and didn't see any.

-- 
                  _                        
   /  __   _     /   _   . _  _       _    Les Gainous 
 _/  (/_ _/_)_  /_  (_(_/_/|_(_)_(_)_/_)_  Voice: 714.218.0663
(/\__          (__)                         

EMail: [email-masked] (business hrs, U.S. Pacific time)
       [email-masked]        (evenings/weekends)
            
"This message may not reflect the views of anyone or any
 organization, other than myself."

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Smits)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 20:02:00 PST

>What are the advantages/disadvantages with an electric mower?
The main disadvantage of the electric mower is the lack of power. Mine 
does very poorly on long, wet grass, even with a freshly sharpened blade. 
The cord is a minor sort of nuisance in a small yard, but gets to be real 
pain when you have lots of trees or bushes to cut around, or the yard is 
rather large.

>Does it need a special extension cord (other than a common outdoor type)? 
>Is it safe when the lawn is damp? Etc...
>            
No, but the thicker the wires in the cord, the less voltage drop will be 
caused by the cord itself. This probably isn't a problem with short cords 
- say 20 or 30 metres, but can be noticed with really long ones. Your 
mower is safe when sold even for wet lawns, but you do have a GFI breaker 
on your outdoor plugs, right?

>A big factor in my decision is I don't want to spend a whole lot of money!
>
>--                          

Electric mowers and small gas jobs are about the same price around here. 
There's more maintenance on a gas one, but the cord is a nuisance, and the
gas mowers generally are more powerful. 

If you have small yard, and don't mind the cord, buy the electric. If you 
have a large yard, or long or wet grass to cut, get the gas one.

YMMV.

Bob.
-- 
[email-masked] (Robert Smits)

"After first ascertaining that in the current recession the ratio
 between the blue-collar and the white-collar unemployed stands at one
 to one, the augurs produced a slight amendment of the general theory -
 among members of the lower classes, failure was a property of
 individuals; among members of the middle classes, failure was a
 property of the state.  A poor man failed because he was lazy or stupid
 or criminal.  A rich man failed because of a tax policy or the Clean
 Air Act.  Nobody knew why this was so.  It was a great mystery, like
 the mystery of existence, but nobody, at least nobody important,
 doubted the truth of so sublime a paradox."
 - Lewis Lapham

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:12:23 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Teresa7777) writes:

My $0.02 worth and not much more: you don 't really need to buy a flower
press,  I think many people just rig one up from scraps and some cheap
purchases. At least I did and the one's I used at the agricultural college I
went to weren't bought ready made either.

Still, I've seen flower presses of various sizes and types at Science/Nature
gift shops, gardening shops and department stores. I think they're not
so hard to find.

Dave
Vancouver BC

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:14:55 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Robert Smits) 

>gas mowers generally are more powerful. 

Bob,

  ............................=          LEGEND
 .............................=    . lawn
 .....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=    x continuous hedges (4' high)
 .....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=    = wall around courtyard (6' high)
 .....xx......................=    * electrical outlet
 .....xx......................=
 .....xx......................=
 .....xx......=================
 .....xx......=
 .....xx......=
 .....xx......=
 .....xx......=               *
 .....xx......=
 .....xx......=
 .....xx......=
 .....xx......=

A potential nuisance with my landscaping is that, from the electrical 
outlet to the outer lawn, the cord has to go up and over the courtyard 
wall AND up and over the hedges.

BTW, each of the two "bands" of lawn (inside and outside of the hedges) 
is ranges from 13-feet to 16-feet wide.

Any feedback?

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:16:17 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Allen R. 
Goldstein) writes: 

>
>While we are on the subject.
>
>I have not seen a good electric "mulching mower".

Allen,

I've seen some in Home Depot and at Sears. I guess there's a difference 
between stocking some and stocking "good" ones.

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 15:21:58 GMT

Speaking of the "reel" type of mower, I need to ask a few questions.

The previous owner left a fairly new Sears Craftsman 18" reel mower, but 
he didn't leave the manual. I need to know the following:

1) Does the mower need regular lubrication? If so, WD-40?, 3-In-1 oil?, 
grease? Also, where on the mower do I lube it?

2) How does the height adjustment work? If I lower the "rolling pin", 
does that also lower the blade? or does it work the opposite way and 
raises the blade?

3) How do I sharpen the blade? Do I need a special blade-sharpening tool? 
Do I need to remove the blade to sharpen it?

4) What about the clippings? Is it okay to let them fall back onto the 
lawn? Do I need to rake them?

I know I sound ignorant, but any help would be appreciated...thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Kruschel)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 13:08:50 GMT

>biased towards alternatives to fossil fuel consumption!)

Good for you Becky!

As an environmental Scientist, I know that the average gasoline lawnmower
puts out more than **EIGHT TIMES THE POLLUTION OF THE AVERAGE NEW MODEL
CAR** which is no mean feat for such a small engine.  

Go for the electric model.  cheaper, less maintenance and less costly and
less polluting.

...Brian...
-- 
Brian Kruschel, Scientist
Ontario Ministry of Environment & Energy
Science & Technology Branch
Toronto Canada

The thoughts, opinions and comments contained herein do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer... but they should!
________________________________________________________________________
"It may be mandatory to grow old, but growing up is optional!"
...Ralph Drabble...

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Confalone)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 16:52:32 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Les

> A big factor in my decision is I don't want to spend a whole lot of money!

Under 100 ft. go with the electric. Just watch out for the cord. I have
250 ft and use gas . I don't want to lug a cord that far. Price is about
the same.You could look into a rechargable lawn mower. Their is no cord
with them.

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 16:29:05 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Bogren)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 16:57:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Les Gainous) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
>Subject: 'Mowers: Electric or Gas?
>Date: 3 Apr 1995 16:29:05 GMT

I've been using electric mowers for 20 years now, and I'll buy another when 
the one I have now needs to be replaced.  I agree with your concerns about 
gasoline, and I'd add something about the cost of maintaining a gasoline 
engine, too.  The extension cord can be any sort of outdoor rated, grounded 
model.

My newest mower is a Black & Decker. It's mostly plastic, so it won't rust 
out like my first mower did.  It's also very light weight.  Last summer I 
mowed the lawn for a neighbor who was undergoing chemotherapy and couldn't 
take care of her own lawn.  I was able to comfortably *lift* the B&D over 
the fence each time (about 36"). 

My advice:  go electric, for all the reasons you enumerated and more.

Rick

****************************************************************************
Rick Bogren                                      e-mail: [email-masked]
Media/Communications Specialist                  voice:  (217)333-9439
College of Agriculture
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

---

From: [email-masked] (Isadore Harris)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 15:09:28 -0400

> My advice:  go electric, for all the reasons you enumerated and more.
I have used an electric mower for over 30 years on about a 7500 sq ft lawn
and haven't cut the cord yet ( though I have cut the cord useing an
electric hedge clipper ). At present I own a Toro, but have previoulsy
owned Black and Decker mowers. I preferred the Tora. I use a 100 foot 14
gauge two wire cord with it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Teresa7777)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 15:18:50 -0400

I got my flower press at a craft store. If you can't find one at a local
craft store (which seems rather unlikely), you could also check out the
ads in the back of a craft magazine. (Also note that craft stores usually
sell booklets telling you how to make various projects out of pressed
flowers; these might provide sources from which you could order a flower
press.) Good luck!

---

From: [email-masked] (Carol Brandt)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 17:39:29 GMT

You can order small versions that fit into a backpack from the Nature
Company.  Larger presses can be purchased from Forestry Supply, a
company that has a large mail order catalogue.  I can give you an
800-number for it tomorrow.

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Robinson)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 17:31:03 GMT

Rebecca Harper ([email-masked]) wrote:
> : [...]

--
Ditto here.  I was given a Scott 20" reel mower as a house-warming gift
and it is great!  It can easily be pushed with one had even.
=TR=
____________________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]

{sig under construction, Merge Left}

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen R. Goldstein)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 05:43:43 GMT

I have not seen a good electric "mulching mower".  Is this because it takes more power to 
properly mulch the cuttings?

-Allen

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:36:17 GMT

>I know I sound ignorant, but any help would be appreciated...thanks!

If you write to Sears, or call your local Sears store, they will
be glad to send you a manual for your particular model
of mower.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Rockwell)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 12:25:59 GMT

>properly mulch the cuttings?

I have a Black & Decker mulching electric, and it works
great.  Where are you looking?
-- 
Dennis Rockwell			[email-masked]
Open Software Foundation
Research Institute		+1-617-621-7268
Cambridge, MA			+1-617-621-8696 (fax)

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Apr 1995 21:14:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Les Gainous,
[email-masked] writes:
>Does the cut grass that falls back onto the lawn help or hurt the lawn?

As long as the cut grass doesn't sit on top of and smother the lawn, it
helps it.  As it breaks down it releases nitrogen which then acts as a
steady weak fertilizer.  It's been a long time since I used a reel mower
so I don't know how it deposits the grass, but with a power mower you
look for either a mulching mower, which cuts the grass very finely, or
you look for one which distributes the grass over a wide area (Consumer
Reports, for instance, actually rates mowers for precisely this
characteristic); the mowers which distribute best are almost always
side-discharge rather than rear-discharge; the rear discharge mowers tend
to just plunk the cut grass straight down behind the mower.  The
side-discharge ones tend to throw the cuttings up and out so they can
sift back down into the lawn without clumping.

As for the discussion above about all the maintenance you have to do on a
gas mower, in my experience the only real maintenance I've had to do is
remember to add gas stabilizer (Stabil) to the gas tank before putting
the mower away for the winter so the gas doesn't varnish and gunk up the
carbuerator.  As long as you treat the gas, the mower starts right up in
the spring.  The only other minor things are occasionally adding oil and
changing the air filter, and very rarely changing the one spark plug. 
That's not to dismiss the fast that gas mowers are noisy and polluters. 
But they are more powerful (better able to handle long grass and lawns
with heavy weed growth) and they're much faster and simpler for larger
lawns.  I had an electric mower when I used to live on a corner lot
(which meant mowing outside the hedge and fence) and a lot of
obstructions, flower beds and such, and I couldn't believe how much
faster and easier it became when I switched to a gas mower and no longer
had to work that cord around all the obstacles.  I'm certainly not
advising anyone to buy a gas mower, just to consider your own situation
as you choose.  (And we really need to somehow let the manufacturers know
that we want them to make gas mowers *less polluting*!)
													-Sue Sanders

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Smits)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 20:51:00 PST

[email-masked] (John Tusciuk) writes:

>
>You also don't have to worry about an electric mower running out of
>gas!
>

At least with a gas mower you've got something to do when the power goes 
off......a frequent occurence around here...:-)

Of course, if a rider is of the mechanically declined persuasion, this sort 
of modification is best left to professionals - Chuck Rogers

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 14:53:30 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rebecca Harper) 

>biased towards alternatives to fossil fuel consumption!)

The reel mower I do have is a fairly recent one (Sears 18", about a year 
old) and is lightweight. I'm now considering not "upgrading" to a power 
mower.

Thanks...

---

From: [email-masked] (John Tusciuk)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 19:12:53 -0400

I've used both and the only inconveniences I've noticed involve the
cord.  If your lawn is big enough, it can be unwieldy dealing with the
cord across the lawn (getting caught, etc.).  It is also a danger
running over the cord, but the only people I've known to do that
(myself included) are people who are used to using gas mowers.  Every
time I've done it it's been one of the situations where I would back
up a mower and go over a spot a few times, like around a tree.

John Tusciuk
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 23:50:04 GMT

>antique store, which was "I haven't seen one of those in years."

HI Mike, the first thing that comes to mind is an ag or Hort College where Plant Taxonom,y is
taught.  The institution would be able to help quite easily as they
do the same thing for their Herbarium.

Otherwise, some hwavy sheets of blotting paper, end rolls of news print as 
well as 2 3/4" sheets of plywood with some all thread 3/8 ".

Build the press acording to the specimen sizes.

Keep in touch.

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 15:30:33 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked]  [Maura O'Neill] writes:
 
>try a childs toy store ........
 
>In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Michael Turner) writes:
 
Mike
You've got a number of good suggestions.  Last year I had the same
request and made a flower press with 1/2 plywood as has been described.
However I drilled holes neach corner and used bolts, large washers and
wing nuts to secure the press and add pressure.  It worked well.
 
It was my 5 year old grand daughter who started us off.  Visiting her
we took her newly acquired press for an "adventure" found flowers
and other treasures and pressed them.  A few days later we uncovered
beautiful pressed flowers.  At home it was determined that we needed
a flower press.  A child's toy wouldn't do so I created a LARGE press.
They both worked well.  And who said you don't learn at a child's knee?
 
Dave Vanderhoof

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:59:54 GMT

>A big factor in my decision is I don't want to spend a whole lot of money!

Well, you do have this great, long extension cord to deal with.  However,
you don't have nearly the upkeep that a gas mower requires.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:02:22 GMT

>antique store, which was "I haven't seen one of those in years."

I have seen several in the "domestics" type catalogues recently.
However, this will work just fine, too:  Buy some heavy white
construction or blotter paper.  Arrange the flowers, face down and
not touching on one piece.  Place another piece over them, and
press down gently.  Place a heavy book on top of the top piece
of paper, and let sit for two weeks.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 18:30:51 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 23:41:24 GMT

Happy gardening

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked] (Rebecca Harper)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 00:38:42 GMT

happy mowing,
becky lee

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Turner)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 16:38:03 GMT

Thanks,

Mike Turner

-- 
Michael R. Turner

---

From: [email-masked] (John T. Wu)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 22:50:30 GMT

: -- 
:                   _                        

John

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 03:51:26 GMT

John,

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Smits)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 20:02:00 PST

YMMV.

Bob.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:12:23 GMT

Dave
Vancouver BC

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:14:55 GMT

Bob,

Any feedback?

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:16:17 GMT

Allen,

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 15:21:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Kruschel)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 13:08:50 GMT

Good for you Becky!

...Brian...

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Confalone)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 16:52:32 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Bogren)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 16:57:34 GMT

Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Isadore Harris)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 15:09:28 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Teresa7777)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 15:18:50 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Carol Brandt)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 17:39:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Robinson)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 17:31:03 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen R. Goldstein)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 05:43:43 GMT

-Allen

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:36:17 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Rockwell)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 12:25:59 GMT

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Apr 1995 21:14:17 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Smits)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 20:51:00 PST

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 14:53:30 GMT

Thanks...

---

From: [email-masked] (John Tusciuk)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 19:12:53 -0400

John Tusciuk
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 23:50:04 GMT

Keep in touch.

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 15:30:33 EDT

Mike

Dave Vanderhoof

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:59:54 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:02:22 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: "Stephen J. Aud" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Apr 1995 15:39:07 GMT

> > biased towards alternatives to fossil fuel consumption!)

This thread seems to be lively, maybe someone can help me.

I currently have a small yard and an 18 inch American reel mower.
Last year, my lawn was devastated by drought, which I'm blaming on
the grass being cut too short (roots too short, not enough 
evaporative cooling capability, ...).  The reel mower I've got
has a maximum cutting height of 2 1/4 inches, which doesn't seem to
be a good match for the tall fescue/bluegrass mix lawn which
does well here in zone 7.

I enjoy cutting with the reel mower.  There's practically zero
maintenance, it causes no noticeable pollution (BO perhaps) as
will be the case with both gas and electric mowers, and I can
mow in my bare feet without too much concern that I'll lop off
a toe or two.

American mower/Great States (800 663-1501) distributes a manual
reel mower under the Scotts brand name with a maximum cutting
height of 3 inches.  Ransom/Cushman's  mowers have a maximum
cutting height of 2 1/2 inches.

Can anyone direct me to a manual reel mower source with a cutting
height which exceeds 3 inches?  What did people do before power
and electric mowers became available, completely reseed each fall?

Others have suggested getting/creating larger diameter wheels,
but this falls short of being a reliable long-term solution.

Please continue this thread or email [email-masked]

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 03:51:26 GMT

John,

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Smits)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 20:02:00 PST

YMMV.

Bob.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:12:23 GMT

Dave
Vancouver BC

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:14:55 GMT

Bob,

Any feedback?

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:16:17 GMT

Allen,

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 15:21:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Kruschel)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 13:08:50 GMT

Good for you Becky!

...Brian...

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Confalone)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 16:52:32 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Bogren)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 16:57:34 GMT

Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Isadore Harris)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 15:09:28 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Teresa7777)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 15:18:50 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Carol Brandt)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 17:39:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Robinson)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 17:31:03 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen R. Goldstein)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 05:43:43 GMT

-Allen

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:36:17 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Rockwell)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 12:25:59 GMT

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Apr 1995 21:14:17 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Smits)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 20:51:00 PST

---

From: [email-masked] (Les Gainous)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 14:53:30 GMT

Thanks...

---

From: [email-masked] (John Tusciuk)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 19:12:53 -0400

John Tusciuk
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 23:50:04 GMT

Keep in touch.

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 15:30:33 EDT

Mike

Dave Vanderhoof

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:59:54 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:02:22 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: "Stephen J. Aud" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Apr 1995 15:39:07 GMT

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Topher Eliot)
Date: 6 Apr 95 08:50:27

When deciding how heavy-duty a cord you need, be sure to read both the
manual that comes with the mower and the label on the cord.  They won't
give the same ratings.  The reason is that the cord's label tells you what
amperage the cord can carry without endangering the cord; the mower's manual
tells you what length/guage cord you can use without endangering the mower.
A too-light cord can cause the motor to burn out.  My neighbor just did
that with his 16-guage cord.  He asked to borrow my mower, and I told him
fine, but he had to use my 12-guage cord.

12-guage (100') is probably overkill; 14 should do.  12 is *heavy*.  I
ameliorate that by having a 15' 16-guage cord plugged into the end of the
100' 12-guage.  Think of it as cache on the heavy cord :-).  It allows me
to move back and forth in 25' strips without moving the heavy 12-guage
cord, but is short enough that it doesn't present significant resistance.
I recommend this technique highly.  Just keep in mind, with extension cords,
longer is NOT necessarily better.

I like my electric mower.  Aside from sharpening the blade, the only
maintainance is refraining from  running over the cord.  I also like my
manual (reel).  I've used it exclusively this year, since completely
renovating my lawn last fall.

Topher Eliot                           Data General Unix Core Development
(919) 248-6371                                        [email-masked]
Obviously, I speak for myself, not for DG.
misc.consumers.house archivist.  Send mail to [email-masked]
Keep a wet edge.

---

From: [email-masked] (Falun)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 22:34:52 -0400

Hi- I started pressing flowers a few years ago.  Good presses are hard to
find. I did end up making my own, but if your just starting out, you can
get them at L.L.Bean, (Freeport Maine) or at the Nature Store or any new
creative earthy crunchy kids toy store.  Last year beginner kits were
quite popular.  Just remember if you want your flowers to last, you have
to press them for about a month before gluing them etc or they shrivel up!
 I learned the hard way!  Good luck!  Wendy

---

From: [email-masked] (Falun)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 22:34:52 -0400

---

From: Jane Jorgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 06:06:33 GMT

My husband and son built a rechargeable electric mower out of an
old lawn mower deck, an old electric DC motor and various other
parts they assembled.  It was a great project.  Some of the
neighbors think it's very strange that we push a lawn mower that's
obviously not working (because it makes no noise) across the lawn.
Yet the grass is mysteriously cut.  "Tangy" (the mower) is still
undergoing development, and earning its keep in the meantime.

Jane

---

From: [email-masked] (Janice Mosher)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 15:42:57 GMT

I haven't been following this thread very closely,
so excuse me if this has been mentioned already.

When I decided I wanted a flower press, I copied a model
used by the biology department at my University.

Basically, it is two pieces of plywood cut to about
12 inches square.  Cut up any corragated cardboard boxes
you have into the same size squares.

To hold the press together, we used 2 leather, or canvas belts.

To press the flowers, place the flowers between 2 sheets
of newspaper.  Place the newspaper between 2 pieces of
the cardboard.  Put in between the plywood squares, and
tighten the belts firmly around. (preferably, both belts
in the same direction, other the pressure is not as 
equalized)

The whole thing took me less that an hour to make, and 
cost me about $10 for the scrap wood and the belts.

Good Luck,  and happy pressing!

Janice

---

From: [email-masked] (Falun)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 22:34:52 -0400

---

From: Jane Jorgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 06:06:33 GMT

Jane

---

From: [email-masked] (Janice Mosher)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 15:42:57 GMT

Janice

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 14:40:10 GMT

Just saw a wooden flower press in the Smith & Hawkin catalog
(sorry don't have the phone number at present).  I don't remember
much about it, seems like it had capability to do multiple layers 
of flowers at once, had one large wooden screw top center which
lowers a bar across the layers.  Priced around $65-$75.

-- 
Rich Campbell, zone 7 (near Dallas)

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 14:40:10 GMT

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] [Maura O'Neill]
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 06:08:33 GMT

try a childs toy store -not a plastic kind-but one that has real toys, i got a 
beautiful one for my 8year old stepdaughters birthday last year (she loves it)
good luck, maura
 p.s. or you could make her one, you just need two hard covers(wood 
prefereably), with four screws
with wing nuts at each corner, and filler paper/cardboard (and make the top 
cover as pretty/fancy as you can contrive....)

---

From: [email-masked] (Kenneth Leong)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 13:25:26 GMT

I wouldn't even bother with an electric mower. Just the idea of walking
around the yard with this extension cord trailing around all over the
place is silly. With electric, you have to bother with safety, having long
enough cord, the inconvenience of going around trees, garden beds,
through fences, over rough surfaces etc. And then you have to wind up
the cord after you finished. 

With petrol (gas) mowers, put on a pair of ear muffs (if you don't like
noise), start her up, do your job, then roll it back into the shed/house
- no trouble at all. 

If there were a way of making powerful and practical cordless vacuum
cleaners for normal household use, I'd get one of them quick smart as
well. I have a petrol one for vacuuming the garage etc - extremely
excellent but produces a lot of exhaust fumes so strictly for well
ventilated areas only.

Kenny L.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 20:15:44 GMT

>What about two heavy sheets of glass, perhaps hinged with glued-on 
>velcro or? Advantage:  simplicity and the beauty of seeing the flowers 
>change as they dry.
>
>Polar

Would the flowers dry?  Have you actually done this?  The disadvantages seem
to be problems in drying and the limitiation of how many flowers can be
pressed at once. The problem with pressing flowers is often drying them
quickly enough: this is why corrugated cardboard is used between flower layers, it
allows air to get in.  Likewise, a lot of blotting paper/newspaper is often necessary.
The other problem is that when pressing flowers or plants you never seem to have
enough space in the press to press what you've collected. I'd say 10 layers per press
is what I end up doing.

But if the above method has actually been used with success.... well.

Dave
Vancouver BC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Apr 95 08:38:19 -0500

> lowers a bar across the layers.  Priced around $65-$75.

AARGH!  (Sorry, Rich, that was my cheap gene kicking in)...

If a phone book won't do, or an old issue of Computer Shopper (use
the non-slick pages for pressing), at least don't pay Smith and
Hawken-type prices for one.  Either make it yourself, or order an
"official" one from some place like Forestry suppliers, where it's
a slightly more reasonable $34 for a plywood press with corrugates,
blotters, and a couple of 60" straps.

---

From: Steve Roys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 10:03:07 -0400

> lowers a bar across the layers.  Priced around $65-$75.

I have two small store-bought presses and they're really simple...just 
two pieces of plywood for the top and bottom, four bolts w/wing nuts in 
the corners of the plywood to press everything togther, and some sheets of 
cardboard in the middle with tissue paper to put the flowers on.  And 
yes, you can do multiple layers of flowers.  If you know which end of a 
saw to hold, you could make one that would be much larger than most of 
the ones you could buy for practically nothing.

---

From: Laura Dolson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 16:07:44 GMT

> > biased towards alternatives to fossil fuel consumption!)

Here's a reel question :-) :  We have a reel mower that worked
fine on our old lawn, which was mostly grass.  Now we've moved
to a new area and are renting for a few months before buying.
This lawn is COVERED with weeds, especially dandilions.  Those
suckers just bend right down as the power passes over and then
bob back up again!

We are trying to decide whether it's worth it for a short term
to buy a power mower.  (We are certainly not going to landscape.)
This reel mower is sort of "medium-grade" (not the cheapest nor
most expensive) one.  Would a better grade reel mower deal with
the dandilions?  Or should we upgrade to electric?

How much was that rechargable electric mulching mower?

Thanks-

Laura Dolson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jennifer Fruhbauer)
Date: 12 Apr 1995 01:43:55 GMT

Whilst humming merrily, Michael Turner ([email-masked]) wrote:
: or something like that.  Inquiries at local florists resulted in 
: questionable stares.  The only positive response I received was at an 
: antique store, which was "I haven't seen one of those in years."

i have seen some (awhile ago) in either the cat. pottery barn or gardners
eden, i remember them being somewhat expensive....lost the
catalogues...number anyone?

jennifer

--
[email-masked]
--
...and I'm so scared in case I'll fall off my chair,
and I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs...
clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
here I am...stuck in the middle with you,
yes I'm stuck in the middle with you...
-Stealer's Wheel

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Clark)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:28:10

>the dandilions?  Or should we upgrade to electric?

I have mowed damnthelions with rotary mowers and a riding mower (also rotary). 
 My experience is that these plants have a genetic sensor that tells them to 
duck when a mower passes overhead.  Everytime I mow the lawn I look out to see 
damnthelion stems sitting up an laughing at me.  I thought going to a reel 
mower would resolve this as it would (should) shear the stems.

One other note about reel vs. rotary.  A sharpened reel mower cuts the grass 
with a clean cut which is healthier for the grass.  Rotary mowers tear the top 
of the grass off leaving a more jaggered edge and leaving the plant more 
openly accessable to disease.  Powered reel mowers used to be much more 
readily available.  I don't know where to buy one now.  My lawn is a little 
over 40,000 sq ft and my weekend is too short to use a push reel mower.  If I 
had a smaller 1/4 acre or so lawn I think that would be the way I would go.  
The newer reel mowers are much easier to push, they are less expensive, and 
except for sharpening there is very little maintainance.  
--------------------
Dave Clark - Data General Corp. Westboro, MA
[email-masked]

Opinions expressed are my own.  Any resemblance to other opinions
living or dead are purely coincidental.
--------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Robinson)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 16:05:21 GMT

--
I currently have some weeds in my yard also.  I doubt that there exists 
a reel mower that will not simply push them over [ever].
=TR=
____________________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <Catherine.Calhoun>
Date: 14 Apr 1995 15:06:56 GMT

> the cord after you finished. 

True, however, there are some killer no-cord electric mowers on
the market that are just as powerful as the gas powered kind, and
no loud engine noise. My next door neighbor got one and graciously
lets me use it when he's not using it. Beats the heck out of my old
mower and I can mow early mornings and not piss off the neighborhood.

Catherine

---

From: [email-masked] (Jennifer Fruhbauer)
Date: 12 Apr 1995 01:43:55 GMT

jennifer

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Clark)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:28:10

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Robinson)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 16:05:21 GMT

---

From: "[email-masked]" <Catherine.Calhoun>
Date: 14 Apr 1995 15:06:56 GMT

Catherine

---

From: [email-masked] (erika)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 12:39:01 -0700 (PDT)

>> suckers just bend right down as the power passes over and then

Even if the mower did cut the dandelions, they would grow right back.
To get rid of dandelions you MUST remove the tap root, which goes
to amazing depths. Even a small part of the root left in the ground
will grow back. Use a shovel to take the plant out. It's good exercise!
Better than running around in the gym or lifting weights. 

- erika

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce H. McIntosh)
Date: 17 Apr 1995 17:13:00 GMT

>Better than running around in the gym or lifting weights. 

My mother had a gizmo she called a weed-digger.  It was a square steel
rod about 15" long, with a small (1/2" across or so) two-prointed spade
at the end of it.  Its sole apparent purpose in life appeared to be the
efficient (if hard on the back from all the bending over) eradication
of dandelion tap roots.  Nifty gizmo that seemed to work around 2/3 of
the time.  Failing that, Scotts Weed and Feed did 'em in just fine :-).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce H. McIntosh                              [email-masked]
Systems Programmer   **   University of Florida   **   Division of Housing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
parental unit(Amanda Marie 1/5/94), minstrel(guitar), ferroequinologist(HO)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** NOTE:  Due to current interpretation of Florida's government-in- ***
***        the-sunshine law, any email sent to this account may be   ***
***        considered a public record.                               ***

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark J. Dumic)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 08:40:25 -0400

Can anyone with experience speak about how well cordless electrics work? 
The batteries make them pretty heavy (about 75 lbs) but the gas mowers
I've looked at feel prety heavy also.  So, how are they to push around? 
I've been told they have more torque than gas mowers meaning, I think,
that they are better able to deal with high and/or wet grass?  Can anyone
comment on this?  How well have the batteries held up?  I've had trickle
charge flashlights that I've paid big bucks for in order to have a working
flashlight in an emergency...6 months after I bought it the batteries were
dead!

In particular, I'm looking at a Ryobi BMM2400 18" mmulching mower rated to
run for 90 minutes between recharging which takes 16 hours.  Anyone have
any experiences to share with Ryobi?

-- 

--------------------------------------------------------------
Mark J. Dumic
Manager of Networking and Systems
Swarthmore College
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore, PA 19081
(610) 328-8511

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Paul Herbert)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 15:37:02 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, Susan Sanders
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>Thus you end up throwing
> out otherwise perfectly good DustBusters, cordless drills, etc. just
> because of the spent batteries. 
Sue,

The batteries in dustbusters *are* replacable, as are all of the other
Black and Decker cordless products. When I lived in the San Jose area, I
could go to the Black and Decker service center and get their proprietary
batteries as replacement parts. They were quite reasonably priced;
comparable to buying the same capacity in NiCd's. I've replaced batteries
on my dustbuster and spotlighter.

You can probably get this stuff from a B&D service center by mail. I don't
know; I haven't tried yet, since I've moved away from the service center. 

Kevin

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 1995 14:22:50 GMT

>no loud engine noise. My next door neighbor got one and graciously

So (inquiring of those who own one or who are in the market and have
looked at them) do the cordless electric mowers have replaceable battery
packs?  The trouble with so many of the battery-powered appliances that
have come out recently is that once the batteries lose their ability to
hold a charge, the appliances are worthless.  Thus you end up throwing
out otherwise perfectly good DustBusters, cordless drills, etc. just
because of the spent batteries.  Please tell me that the battery packs in
the cordless mowers are replaceable!                  -Sue Sanders

---

From: [email-masked] (Sally Trude)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 19:32:38 -0500

I recently purchased the Husqvarna cordless electric mulching mower.  I
chose this brand because it discharges the battery completely before
recharging which is supposed to increase battery life.  Also, I was told
the Ryobi is harder to recharge--the transformer is built into the mower
rather than provided as a separate attachment.  (I've also heard that the
Ryobi is apt to require repairs in the first year.)

This one is much lighter than my gas mower, and I have no problem pushing
it up the hill in my front yard.  But the best part, is that it is very
quiet.  In fact, I have a hard time believing I'm actually cutting
anything without the noise and fumes (kind of feels like a toy).  But yes,
it does the job.  I have thick grass that it manages just fine.  (If not,
it lets you know.  And its ridiculously simple to restart.)  It is also
extremely easy to adjust the height of the mower.  On the negative side is
its small width and no bag attachment (for shredding leaves in the fall
and collecting some grass for the compost pile).  

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I can't tell you how it will
hold up over the long run.  Hope this helps,

Sally

---

From: Carla Ann Hass <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 21:30:13 EDT

I have a Ryobi (don't know the model number offhand) and I really like it -
quiet, quick (it mulches), and easy to use.  I have about 4000 sq ft., totally
flat, and can mow twice before recharging. I do not follow the company's
instructions but let it discharge completely before recharging.  NiCad
batteries do have a memory and don't hold as much charge if they are always
topped off.  I have had it a year and so far no maintenance problems. However,
if you keep it in an outdoor garage and you have cold winters you do have to
bring the mower in for the winter [ours hibernates in the basement :-)].

Carla Hass

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark J. Dumic)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 13:07:25 -0400

Sally -

Thanks for your post.  The Husqvarna does sound better designed.  I
haven't heard of this manufacturer before.  Can you tell me where you
bought it or can you provide an 800 number that I could call to find out
about dealers?

--

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Havemann)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 14:34:15 GMT

Kevin Paul Herbert ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, Susan Sanders
: <[email-masked]> wrote:

: >Thus you end up throwing
: > out otherwise perfectly good DustBusters, cordless drills, etc. just
: > because of the spent batteries. 
: Sue,

: The batteries in dustbusters *are* replacable, as are all of the other
: Black and Decker cordless products. When I lived in the San Jose area, I
: could go to the Black and Decker service center and get their proprietary
: batteries as replacement parts. They were quite reasonably priced;
: comparable to buying the same capacity in NiCd's. I've replaced batteries
: on my dustbuster and spotlighter.

: You can probably get this stuff from a B&D service center by mail. I don't
: know; I haven't tried yet, since I've moved away from the service center. 

You can salvage 'most any cordless appliance, I've found, not just B&D.
Those batteries aren't 'proprietary' at all; they're available
commercially as "sub-C" nicads, so called because they're a wee bit
smaller than standard C cells.

Radio Shack sells them, but they are not cheap -- about nine bucks, if
I recall. (Even at RS prices, that's likely cheaper than a new
appliance.)  If B&D sells them for less, good for them.  Surplus houses
(like American Science & Surplus or Edmund Scientific) sometimes carry
them for less.

Armed with a new sub-C, you can revive _many_ cordless appliances, if
you're the least bit handy with a soldering iron.  I have revived
several cordless screwdrivers and flashlights, and happily saved a
small fortune for a few minutes' work.  The old nicads are recyclable,
too, in many areas.

Last time I took a Dustbuster(tm) apart, BTW, it didn't have sub-Cs; it
had three smaller (and lighter) cells wired together.  Given the very
short life of a Dustbuster charge, they could very well have been
capacitors. ;)

=-=-=-=-=-=

Paul Havemann ([email-masked])