Subject: Clematis as potted plant?

From: [email-masked] (Ute R.Willmore)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 23:41:19 GMT

I would like a clematis next to my front door to climb up the drain pipe.
Do they do well in a pot? I am in zone 3, BTW.

Ute

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  [email-masked]
OR
  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 16:28:02 GMT

>Do they do well in a pot? I am in zone 3, BTW.

I grow clematis in pots for the patio trellis; but they really need
serious mulching every fall, here in zone 7.  I suspect that
they would not be too happy in zone 3.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (HollyTW)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 08:29:01 -0500

Oh, I don't know - they seem pretty happy here in Zone 6 without
incredible amounts of mulching.  Gave my Martha-in-law a Jackmanii for
Mother's Day last year.  It grew and bloomed very happily in a half-cask
on her deck and is currently sending out small greenies.

Happy gardening!
Holly

---

From: [email-masked] (gowilliams)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 12:15:44 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Ute R.Willmore) wrote:

> Do they do well in a pot?

It depends on the variety, but I have one which does nicely in an oak
half-barrell. Ask the  plant store which ones they would recommend. 
Remember to keep the roots in the shade, but let the plant grow into the
sun. I remember seeing a beautiful delicate blue clematis trailing down
over a huge (5 ft.) urn.  It certainly was thriving.