Subject: Help My Backyard!

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 13:45:17

>I moved to my current house few months ago.  At that time, my backyard
>was covered with a layer of snow, so I did nothing for it.  Now it is
>time to do some gardening work, right?  However, I didn't have thorough
>knowledge of doing it.

>At my backyard, there are five fruit trees (3 pears and 2 apples), each
>of 8 feet tall.  What should I do now?   Add appropriate fertilizers or

>And, on one side of my backyard, there is a very small farmland which i
>about 10ft.x 18ft. in size.  As I was told that the land was used to gr
>tomatoes, peas, and brocculi.  If I want to keep the land for planting
>vegetable, then what things that I should do now?
>
>Your advice will be greatly appreciated!
>Thanks!

When I first moved into my home I read a lot of gardening books (I'm a
newby in the gardening field).  Almost every single one suggested living
with your new property for a full year before you start making changes.
That way you will get to know what already may be planted there and can
find out what the area is REALLY like.  I'm glad I did.  I discovered
that the south edge of my property is really the most shaded part of my
yard!  You may want to chat with the previous owner about what s/he
had planted where if you're in a hurry.  I'm sure few house owners keep
detailed records about what they plant where.

Ruth