Subject: Need some plant advice

From: [email-masked] (Chris Stanhope)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 03:23:51 GMT

I live in New Jersey and just put up lattice on my deck to try to get 
some shade during the summer months. my deck is high off the ground about 
12 feet so anything i grow will be in flower boxes by the lattice. I'm 
looking for some plant advice that will grow from the flower boxes onto 
the lattice and maybe even flower. I get all day sun and hope this will 
provide some shade. I just don't know what type of plants that would fix 
my problem? someone sugested (clymattis) any other  suggestions??

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 03:27:50 GMT

>my problem? someone sugested (clymattis) any other  suggestions??

You might want to try grapes, which grow well in planter boxes;
but you won't get many flowers.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (LynnDHop)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 11:31:16 -0500

Subject: Need some plant advice
From: [email-masked] (Chris  Stanhope)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 03:23:51 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

>the lattice and maybe even flower.

How about planting some annual vines in your windowboxes?  They're likely
to love the sun you describe.  You might try morning glory, cardinal
climber, sweet pea, or my favorite - hyacinth bean.
[email-masked] (Lynn D. Warner)

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 03:27:50 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (LynnDHop)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 11:31:16 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Pat and George Kiewicz)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 15:47:03 GMT

Chris  Stanhope ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I live in New Jersey and just put up lattice on my deck to try to get 
: some shade during the summer months. my deck is high off the ground about 
: 12 feet so anything i grow will be in flower boxes by the lattice. I'm 
: looking for some plant advice that will grow from the flower boxes onto 
: the lattice and maybe even flower. I get all day sun and hope this will 
: provide some shade. I just don't know what type of plants that would fix 
: my problem? someone sugested (clymattis) any other  suggestions??

For flower boxes, I'd suggest morning glories, or their close relatives
white moonflower and scarlet cypress vine, all annuals.  You might also
consider scarlet runner beans, hyancinth bean, and balloon vine (Love-in-
a-puff).  Pinetre Garden Seeds has a nice slection of flowering vines
in their catalog.  (address:  Box 300, New Gloucester, ME 04260 tel:
207-926-3400)

I think that as you a planting in flower-boxes, you might have trouble
with clematis, as they like cool roots, and being perennials, might 
have trouble wintering over in elevated planters.
-- 
                           ====================
        We do not speak for the Suburban Communications Corporation.
	The Suburban Communications Corporation does not speak for us.