Subject: Peach leaf curl in Fremont

From: [email-masked] (Steve Klitzing)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 21:00:29 GMT

I'm in Fremont, I've got the same problem!  My nectarine tree is covered
with peach leaf curl and I couldn't effectively spray due to the rains
this winter.  How do I control the peach leaf curl now?  Don, let me know
any responses to your post!

---Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Don R. Stephens)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 17:57:15 PST

Hi folks,

I am in Saratoga, CA, just south of San Francisco by about 45 miles.
I have PEACH LEAF curl. I sprayed with an oil, maybe in November.
I haven't been able to repeat the operation because of rain. Maybe
the rain even washed away my spray and I use that the additive that
makes it stick better.
Too late now, the question is - - What can I do to save the crop.
The peaches, & nectarines all are showing signs of peach leaf curl.
Is there something I can do now to stop it? I tried picking leaves off 
that were showing signs of distress, but to no avail( far too many leaves
in that were in trouble).
Thank you in advance for your help.
Don
[email-masked]

-------------------------------------
Don R. Stephens				[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 19:44:50 -0800

Steve Klitzing ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm in Fremont, I've got the same problem!  My nectarine tree is covered
: with peach leaf curl and I couldn't effectively spray due to the rains
: this winter.  How do I control the peach leaf curl now?  Don, let me know
: any responses to your post!

: ---Steve

>From "IPM Info" a publication of the University of California:  "Once 
leaf curl is visible on the leaves, it is too late to spray.  However, 
trees will produce new healthy leaves and the disease will be arrested 
once warmer temperatures occur."
Jerry Heverly, Instr. of hort, Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA

-- 

Jerry Heverly, Oakland, CA

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:56:59 -0500 (EST)

The problem is you all sprayed with the wrong stuff.

Peach Leaf Curl is a fungus.  Oil won't do the job.  There is little or 
nothing to be done for this year except for cleaning away the leaves at 
the end of the season and disposing of them at the end of the season.  
Next winter you should spray with a fungiside.  The Northwest Plant 
Disease Controll Handbook recomends spraying once in mid December and 
once in mid January with [among other choices] either  Bordeau mix or 
Lime-Sulfur.

Left unchecked the disease will kill in 2 or 3 years.

Dan Huisjen

[email-masked]
opinions expressed are my own, no matter where I got them.
my copy of the NW Plant disease controll handbook is several years 
old.
consult your local Ag. Extension Agent for further details.
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 19:44:50 -0800

: ---Steve

--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:56:59 -0500 (EST)

Dan Huisjen

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:56:59 -0500 (EST)

Dan Huisjen

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 16 Apr 1995 22:17:38 GMT

Don R. Stephens ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I have PEACH LEAF curl. I sprayed with an oil, maybe in November.
: the rain even washed away my spray and I use that the additive that
: makes it stick better.
: Too late now, the question is - - What can I do to save the crop.
: The peaches, & nectarines all are showing signs of peach leaf curl.
: Is there something I can do now to stop it? I tried picking leaves off 
: that were showing signs of distress, but to no avail( far too many leaves
: in that were in trouble).

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  Sorry to say there is NOTHING you can do 
once the leaves come out!  If you spray now, you will make the fruit 
poisonous.  You indicated that you used an oil spray.  Oil sprays control 
insects such as mealybugs, scale and whitefly.  Primarily scale insects.  
To control the PLC, you need to use a Copper of Sulfur spray.  Did you 
use any of those?  You can use the Sulfur or Copper spray in conjunction 
with the oil spray.  The oil spray helps the sulfur or copper spray 
adhere to the dormant branches.  In the meantime, sit back, relax and 
enjoy this season's PLC and plan for next year's erradication.  WARNING: 
read all directions before buying!  Sulfur spray cannot be sprayed on 
Apricot trees, poisons the fruit.  Copper can be used on anything, 
including vegetables (blight on tomatoes).

Good luck!

                 _______________________________________________
                |                                               |
                |    Steven A. Reynolds    Santa Barbara, CA    | 
                |    [email-masked]       Amateur Radio: AA6OT |
                |_______________________________________________|

---

From: Kenneth Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Apr 1995 14:41:54 GMT

Believe it or not but there is a cure for peach leaf curl, but it is not 
likely to be used in Orange County, where I imagine the peach trees are 
much bigger than the ones I grow here in STOCKHOLM SWEDEN. Our climate 
is really cold so we/I prune the peach trees as espaliers against a wall 
and so keep the tree no higher than about 5 feet. I have had the problem 
of leaf curl on both nectarine and peach but read that it is caused by a 
fungus spreading through/by rain. I moved my little greenhouse to cover 
the nectarine and prevent the rain to fall on it and after that (2 years 
now) the nectarine has not had a single leaf curling whereas the peach 
tree, still in open air, has the curling every season. 
Knowing that you don't have much rain, it still rains and maybe that's 
when the fungus comes anyway???...
Put a roof over your peach tree!!???
Kenneth Nilsson
Sweden