Subject: Re: tulip planting question

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Mar 95 20:31:12 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (YEN YEN CHIN) writes:
> I am confused about how far apart the tulips should be planted. The instruction
> says that they should be planted four inches apart but also says that they will
> glow better if they are planted in closter. Well, four inches apart is really 
> not in closter. Any one has answers?

I try to put about 2-3 bulb diameters between any outdoor bulbs. So for
a bulb that's about 2" across, 4-6" apart is about right.  When the leaves
come up this time of year, they'll be clustered closely enough!

I don't quite understand the remark about growing best if clustered.  To
my eye, they LOOK best if clustered, instead of being strung out in a
single, sad row along the front of someone's house.  I'd take the same
number of bulbs, and plant them in a few "bunches".  It looks like
you've actually got a bigger show that way.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (YEN YEN CHIN)
Date: 28 Mar 95 16:15:42 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:14:22 GMT

Tulips are high feeders.  They need alot food to keep blooming and
reproduce.  That is why they recommend that they keep them apart
so that they dont starve and get smaller.  They need to be well
fertilized well drained as well.  down here in the south zone 7
north carolina they recommend spacing of 12" !!!!  and digging the
hole 12" deep filling the bottom with compost and the placing the
tulip 6" deep.  I just planted mine like normal and figured on
when i fertilized the beds they would get it as well.  The tulips
are doing well this year!!!  So who can say??   

  In article <[email-masked]>, YEN
YEN CHIN ([email-masked]) writes: >I am confused about how far
apart the tulips should be planted. The instruction >says that they
should be planted four inches apart but also says that they will

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:14:22 GMT