Subject: Re: CALIFORNIA STORM

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 23:43:00 GMT

ES> Anyone out there have anything to say about the storm this week and
ES> their gardening efforts?  We had a fence blown down the other nite,
ES> but other than that, no real garden damage.  I was worried about
ES> some herb

Heck of a storm! We were on Hwy 99 north when the Eucalyptus trees were 
falling across the freeway. almost no damage to our gardens back home in 
Pasadena, though.

 * RM 1.3 01256 * In the immortal words of Quasimoto, "Call it a Hunch."

---

From: PATTIBELLE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 95 23:53:49 -0500

Storm damage in downtown Napa was not as great as in January, but the
river was higher.  Reason:  the creeks had been cleared of their brush
and debris by the January flood.
 
I've a stash of plants just waiting for some nicer weather.  Bought a
15 gal. prunus Vesuvious today for $32.90, plus some trellises for
star jasmine.  Is the sun ever going to shine again on sunny CA?
 
Pat in Napa, CA

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 14 Mar 1995 06:44:03 GMT

No damage to my garden but the nursery I manage got flooded for the 
second time this year!  I'm sure getting sick and tired of cleaning up!  
The second flood (or "The Flood II" as my employees call it) was not as 
bad as January, only 4" of water and mud instead of 16" in Jan.  My 
Citrus are under about 3" of water now but they're young and can handle 
it.  I worry when it gets so windy because the soil is so saturated and 
the citrus are easily uprooted.  They're hanging in there!

--

                 _______________________________________________
                |                                               |
                |    Steven A. Reynolds    Santa Barbara, CA    | 
                |    [email-masked]       Amateur Radio: AA6OT |
                |_______________________________________________|

---

From: [email-masked] (Fellwalker)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 00:45:48 GMT

elaine shanahan ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Anyone out there have anything to say about the storm this week and 
: their gardening efforts?  We had a fence blown down the other nite, but 
: other than that, no real garden damage.  I was worried about some herb 
: plants I had just planted three days before, and I also thought my baby 
: apple tree would be uprooted and blown away (as our patio furniture 
: was).  

: Elaine in San Francisco

    I've had to put off clearing the side of my garden for tomatoes, 
peppers and corn until the ground drys out (luckily, that part of my yard 
is 4 ft. above my neighbors, so the standing water drains away in a day 
or so...the other side of my yard is still underwater). My window 
greenhouse is overflowing with too-large seedlings and the ones already 
outside are under mud.
   We were supposed to get most of the rain down here, but it bypassed us 
and went north instead, so you got our share too. 

 --Max...in San Diego
-- 
--  ...with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes... <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephan C. Barr)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 20:51:19 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (elaine shanahan) writes:

>Anyone out there have anything to say about the storm this week and 
>their gardening efforts?  We had a fence blown down the other nite, but 

Santa Barbara county farmers sustained $3 million damage.  I had one
tobacco plant fall over, which I pushed right back up when the sun
came out.  ;)

Steve.
------
--
+---- Stephan C. Barr : [email-masked] ----------------------------+
| Rush Limbaugh calling himself a "conservative" is like a high school |
| football player calling himself a "viking" because his team mascot   |
| is a viking.   - S. Barr, 1995                                       |