Subject: What are the Best Lemon Grass Soil Conditions?

From: [email-masked] (Nartker)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 13:59:58 -0500

Can a soil mix and pot size be recommended for Lemon Grass?  Also, what is
the best way to fertilize it?  Has anyone else had trouble with cat
discipline in the presence of the herb?  Nelson goes nuts for it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 12:49:16 GMT

>discipline in the presence of the herb?  Nelson goes nuts for it.

I grow mine in standard 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 topsoil.
It will grow to fill any pot you choose.  Fertilize with manure tea.
I can't keep my cats out of it either; but at least they don't lay around
acting drunk like when they get into the catnip!  My solution to my
cat's attitude that indoor plants are really designed as a salad bar
for them is to put everything I really want them to stay out of in
a hanging pot.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Mari J Stoddard)
Date: 27 Mar 1995 19:29:09 GMT

Here in Tucson, I grow mine out next to the roses, where they get the
run-off from the neighbor's lawn (zoysia, for those on that thread -- it's
green from March till about October-November).  It's planted in mixed
local clay-potting mix.  The cat likes to lay behind it while waiting for
birds at the feeder (but he hasn't caught any yet).  Perhaps putting a
bird feeder outside the window by the lemon grass will help to distract
your cats?  

-- 
Mari Stoddard                       [email-masked]
Arizona Health Sciences Library, The University of Arizona, Tucson AZ
http://amber.medlib.arizona.edu/homepage.html            520/626-2925

---

From: Libby Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:32:49 -0800 (PST)

I use ordinary potting mix...ProMix by preference and add several
scoops of medium bird grit. To deter cats, I keep it in the cellar
under lights in winter and outdoors or in the community garden in
summer.

Libby

---

From: Camilla Maltas <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Mar 1995 04:57:07 GMT

>Libby

I've planted mine in the rottenest, sandiest soil with no holding
capacity at all for any nutrients or water, and its gone crazy!  I have
to keep cutting it back to foil its plans for world domination!
Camilla Maltas
[email-masked]
"When one burns one's bridges, what a lovely fire it makes!" - author
unknown (to me anyway!)