Subject: Re: Square Foot Gardening (Was: Advice needed on starting a

From: [email-masked] (Sharon E. McDonald)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 17:14:41 GMT

vegetable garden)
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Sharon E. McDonald)
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]

In a previous article, mtiffany (Michael Tiffany) says:

>
>> Do you have any more information on "Square Foot Gardening"?  Any books?  I
>> say a PBS show on it years and years ago, and it really intrigued me.  I have
>> a tiny plot and only two mouths to feed, so it sounds perfect for me.  Also,
>> any advice, seeing as you've already done it?
>> 
>
>There is a book titled Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew, the same
>man who did the PBS show. The book is published by Rodale Press, copyright
>1981. It is still in print, so it should be available in your local
>bookstore (or ask them to order a copy for you).
>It is an excellent book for beginners (like me). I planted my very first
>vegetable garden last year, and used this book as a guide.
>It was so exciting to get REAL FOOD out of my own yard!
>
I just bought this book the other day at Lowes and already have four 
squares of lettuce & arugula planted.

Could someone who has used this technique share their views on its pros & 
cons?  I have three raised beds, each 4' x 8', and am VERY excited as 
this method seems simple, efficient, and like it allows you to be very 
creative in how you design & plant a garden.  I'm looking forward to 
planting lots of veggies, herbs, and colorful annuals. 

Has anyone had success with the vertical frame made from water pipes, as 
described in the book?  

Also, any suggestions on what to use for the square foot grid to separate 
out each space?  The pictures in the book show some type of plastic-looking 
strips that seem connected by bent ends. Anyone know what these are and
where I can buy them?

Thanks in advance.

Sharon
--