Subject: Re: What's this beautiful flower? Volunteer or wilding...

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:50:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Chas Brown) writes:
|> Hi folks...
|> 
|> [snipped]
|> 
|> The plant's form is like a very small iris, about 4" long leaves arranged
|> in a fan shape. The leaves color is a light bluish green, and they come to
|> a point (althouth not like a knife point; almost rounded). There is a
|> single slightly prounced ridge in each leaf.
|> 
|> 2 - 4 flowers have come from a single stalk in each plant, arranged not in
|> an umbrel, but more branched, again as in an iris. They are erect.
|> 
|> The flowers themselves have 6 petals which fuse at the base, the whole
|> flower being about an inch wide. The outer part of the petals are deep red
|> blotched with white, turning suddenly to yellow. There are three stamens,
|> and the central pistil has three stigmas.
|> 
|> [snipped]

   Well, reading through your description I was set to say its a
Sisyrinchium sp. until I got to the red flowers.  I have little volunteers
in my lawn that are similar to what you describe but with 1/2" dia.
blue flowers.  I too mow around them.  They bloom for around
4 weeks in spring and go dormant in late summer.  I still think they
are a possibility.  Sisyrinchiums are related to iris.  They reseed
freely and form small bulbs underground.  I'm about ready to try to
move some into my flower beds.  I've not heard of a red sisyrinchium
but maybe your area has them?  I live in the Dallas area.

-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:50:19 GMT

-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Chas Brown)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 22:56:58 -0800

Hi folks...

I didn't do much with my small 'front lawn' in the Oakland hills last
year, thinking I'd just dig it up in the spring or summer. One day as I
was walking from my car, I saw that there was this small plant growing in
the grass which looked a little like a native iris.

I carefully trimmed the grasses around it, and noticed several others
which I also kept clear. It flowered wonderfully this week, but I still
have no idea what it was.

The plant's form is like a very small iris, about 4" long leaves arranged
in a fan shape. The leaves color is a light bluish green, and they come to
a point (althouth not like a knife point; almost rounded). There is a
single slightly prounced ridge in each leaf.

2 - 4 flowers have come from a single stalk in each plant, arranged not in
an umbrel, but more branched, again as in an iris. They are erect.

The flowers themselves have 6 petals which fuse at the base, the whole
flower being about an inch wide. The outer part of the petals are deep red
blotched with white, turning suddenly to yellow. There are three stamens,
and the central pistil has three stigmas.

I know it's tough to identify flowers in text, but if anyone has any idea
what it is, please let me know!

Thanks - Chas

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:50:19 GMT

-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]