Subject: Moonflower seeds

From: [email-masked] (Administrator)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 19:39:24 GMT

Hi!
 
My packet of moonflower seeds calls for my striking the seeds somehow and
soaking them. Tried a nail file last year but obviously that wasn't the
trick. Any suggestions on how do this? Should I use a nutcracker?

 Wendy in STillwater

Sent via the Newsbytes BBS On The Internet at 199.86.32.158 3004

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 95 23:28:37 -0600

> trick. Any suggestions on how do this? Should I use a nutcracker?

I use a single edged razor blade on most seeds that need nicking, but
we used to use a Dremel Moto-Tool with a fine sanding disk on hard
seeded cotton species.  A coarser file, like a mechanic's file would
probably work better than a nail file.

Some people have reported good results from using acid or straight
chlorine bleach to "chew through" the outer tough layers, but you
do need to know when to stop.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 18:01:26 -0800

> trick. Any suggestions on how do this? Should I use a nutcracker?

Just soak 'em for about 6 hours, just to soften up the seed coat. That
should do it!

-Willow     ([email-masked])
---------------------------------------------------
I'm back!!!!! YIPEE!!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Gingras)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 15:57:54 GMT

Someone just suggested to me that I clip the end off with a nail clipper,
then soak for 6 hours.  I've also read to soak them for up to 48 hours.

I bought another packet last night (I gave up on the first batch), and tried
the nail clipper method, but the clipper kept slipping off, so I sanded off
the pointy end with a sanding block while holding the seed gently with pliers.
Right now, they're soaking and I'll plant them tonight when I get home from
work.  I'll post to let people know if this works any better, because in the
last batch where I didn't clip or soak, two out of 17 came up.

- Bill G

Administrator ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi!
:  
: My packet of moonflower seeds calls for my striking the seeds somehow and
: soaking them. Tried a nail file last year but obviously that wasn't the
: trick. Any suggestions on how do this? Should I use a nutcracker?

:  Wendy in STillwater

: Sent via the Newsbytes BBS On The Internet at 199.86.32.158 3004

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 17:53:52 -0600

I soak them overnight in tepid water and get good results.

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 17:53:52 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Baroness I)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 11:30:18 -0400

Hi! I've tried Moonflower seeds for the first time, and they've done
great.  This is what I did.  I put seeds in glass of warm water for about
a half hour, then took a sharp knife and cut off the little tips.  They
germinated in four days, and within two weeks they are big enough to
transplant outside (Zone 5/6).

---

From: [email-masked] (Baroness I)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 11:30:18 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Baroness I)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 11:30:18 -0400

---

From: Emily Dashiell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:45:06 -0700

Get yourself a piece of fairly gross sandpaper, carefully "scrub" the 
seed a little bit; one spot should do.  Then, get on with the germinating. 

                                                         Pogo was right..
                                                           [email-masked]
                                                           Emily Dashiell

---

From: Emily Dashiell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:45:06 -0700

Pogo was right..
                                                           [email-masked]
                                                           Emily Dashiell

---

From: Emily Dashiell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:45:06 -0700

Pogo was right..
                                                           [email-masked]
                                                           Emily Dashiell