Subject: Aug/Sept PERENNIALS

From: [email-masked] (BUKTOP)
Date: 9 Mar 1995 19:33:15 -0500

I am looking for some perennials that would do well in one half day
afternoon sun, would be about three feet tall and red or bright pink in
color that would do well in Illinois in clay soil and bloom for a good
part of Aug. and Sept.  I have thought of Firefly Phlox or perhaps some
Cleome which is not a perennial but booms at this time.  My garden really
looks too green in Aug. and Sept. and I need to liven up the color.
Any suggestions?

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 14:46:12 GMT

>part of Aug. and Sept.  I have thought of Firefly Phlox or perhaps some

Japanese anemone meets all of your criteria and is an absolutely carefree
plant.  There are varieties in a number of shades of pink.  It would like
a little soil improvement but would probably do OK even without it.  I
have one (actually this one is the closely-related Anemone vitifolia) in
a particularly favorable spot that I planted there about 6 years ago is
now about 4' wide, that had about 500 flowers on it last year (I'm
serious).  Truly gorgeous.  It's especially nice to have this form of
flower (that is, not a composite, i.e. chrysanthemum) at this time of
year.          -Sue Sanders

---

From: Libby Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 17:53:47 -0800 (PST)

I think wayside Gardens also has pink and yellow aconites.

You won't need to buy many. The blue ones spread like mad.

Libby

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:11:06 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley) writes: 

>
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Howard Slenk) writes:
>>From: [email-masked] (Howard Slenk)
>>Subject: Re: Aug/Sept PERENNIALS
>>Date: 14 Mar 1995 19:53:17 GMT
>
>>BUKTOP ([email-masked]) wrote:
>>: I am looking for some perennials that would do well in one half day
>>: afternoon sun, would be about three feet tall and red or bright pink in
>>: color that would do well in Illinois in clay soil and bloom for a good
>>: part of Aug. and Sept.
>
>If you like the color blue, consider Aconitum (Monk's Hood). It meets all of 
>your criteria.
>
>Steven
>

Don't plant this if you have "grazing" pets or small children.  It is VERY
poisonous.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:11:06 GMT

Chris Owens