Subject: SCREENING WORM COMPOST

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 23:34:00 +0600

"Theman" writes:

References: <[email-masked]> 

TT> Anyone out there who knows what a good size mesh might be for
TT> screening worm compost?

If you are talking about getting worms out of the vermicompost, I 
suggest making small mounds, about as much as two hands can hold, in the 
sun or under lights on a table. Every few minutes, rake off the top 
layer with your hands and let the worms concentrate into a ball at the 
bottom of the mound. Occasionally merging smaller piles with others 
helps keep the worms from drying out or heating up in the sun.

The castings are then concentrated, use a can under the edge of the 
table, and are ready for use.

In the garden, I only screen at 1". For potting soils, I screen at 
1/2".  As a top dressing for lawns or houseplants, I screen at 1/4".

When castings are wet, they are hard to screen. The process of 
harvesting the worms tends to dry the castings, however. Material at 
70%+ moisture (muddy, water drips when squeezed) is nearly impossible to 
screen under 3/4". You need to get to at least 50% moisture (no drips, 
but holds a ball when squeezed) to screen at 1/2". For finer screening, 
the compost should be dried to 40% or less (still crumbles when 
squeezed).

Hope this helps

Mr Compost~~~

Jim~ McNelly
[email-masked]

 * RM 1.3 02460 * Reunite Gondwanaland!

------------------============<>=============-----------------
   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines
   Email: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
------------------============<>=============-----------------