Subject: dog doo for the garden?

From: [email-masked] (Sylvia Fuller)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 15:57:34 GMT

I presently have nineteen siberian huskies visiting-my partner's dad is
a sled-dog racer and is visiting on his way back to Utah from racing in
Montreal.  As would be expected, the dogs are producing prodigious
quantities of poop.  So, can I add this material to my compost pile, or
should I just chuck it in the garbage?  I apologize if this is a stupid
question but I am planning to start a veggie garden for the first time
in my life and I'm new to composting as well.  I know the droppings of
omniverous animals are supposed to be good for gardens, but I don't
know about carnivores.  Thanks.

Sylvia Fuller

---

From: Deb Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 16:21:11 GMT

Sylvia,

Don't put it in your compost, but don't send it to the dump either.  Dig
a big hole and bury it.  A flower garden in that space would really take
off in a while; but don't use dog shit for vegetable compost.

Deb (Mom to Great Danes --the dukes of poop)

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:05:43 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Chad James Segura) writes: 

>
>Christine Owens ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Sylvia Fuller) writes: 
>
>: >
>: >I presently have nineteen siberian huskies visiting-my partner's dad is
>: >a sled-dog racer and is visiting on his way back to Utah from racing in
>: >Montreal.  As would be expected, the dogs are producing prodigious
>: >quantities of poop.  So, can I add this material to my compost pile, or
>: >should I just chuck it in the garbage?  I apologize if this is a stupid
>: >question but I am planning to start a veggie garden for the first time
>: >in my life and I'm new to composting as well.  I know the droppings of
>: >omniverous animals are supposed to be good for gardens, but I don't
>: >know about carnivores.  Thanks.
>: >
>: >Sylvia Fuller
>: >
>
>: Compost it.  Do not use it directly in the garden, especially on
>: food plants, as humans and dogs share several enteric viruses.
>
>This isn't right.  Do not compost it either.  Do not compost
>carnivore wastes.  Composting won't get rid of some of the dangerous
>microorganisms.
>
>Chad
>
>
>: Chris Owens
>

If you are doing your composting the right way, the pile should
get hot enough to kill anything (at least 160 degrees).  However,
if you are not certain about the temperature in your pile, do not
use this as compost for food plants.  You might want to try two
compost piles, one for food plants, one for veggies.  I have been
successfully composting dog feces for years without any ill effects.
(I always test the compost before using it, but then, I have full
access to the facilities of a major biological laboratory.)

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:05:43 GMT

Chris Owens