Subject: Desert Tomatoes

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 26 Mar 1995 05:30:04 GMT

I am seeking information about varieties and techniques to extend
the growing season for tomatoes in summer desert conditions.
Zone 10.

Thankyou.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 95 23:57:46 EST

Establish deep roots by watering deeply and not too often.  When the
fruit is growing don't let the plants dry out, lest when you water the
fruit will swell up so much the skin splits.  If your soil is sandy,
mix organic matter and clay topsoil in to improve water retention;
nothing spoils tomatoes in the desert like alternating wet and dry
soil.  Most varieties accept all kinds of hot sun if their roots are
happy.

Richard Shiell          [email-masked]

IM>I am seeking information about varieties and techniques to extend
IM>the growing season for tomatoes in summer desert conditions.
IM>Zone 10.

IM>Thankyou.
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     WWW.KERN.COM
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     TELNET DJ.KERN.COM
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     FTP FTP.KERN.COM