Subject: Re: poppy planting

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 23:18:45 GMT

The poppies we have are perrenials, so if you sow the seed it will be slow
growing. My husband tried this and it took several years to get blooms but
it was worth the wait.  Once a poppy blooms andd sets seed they develop a
liitle pod. When the seed is ripe the pod bursts open along the top like a
little salt shaker.  It's so neat to see.  Also the dried seed pods can be
used for dried flower arrangements.
Gwen
In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(El Puerco Loco) wrote:

> just discovered that the 2 ounce jar of poppy seed in my spice 
> rack is viable seed. since this seems to be much cheaper than 
> the seeds they sell ant the plant store, i thought i'd try planting some.
> what kinda soil prep. is necessary to make them grow, can they just
> be scattered in a field? also, are they self seeding?
> 
> doug

---

From: [email-masked] (El Puerco Loco)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 21:42:39 GMT

doug

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 15:22:46 GMT

[email-masked] (El Puerco Loco) wrote:
> rack is viable seed...

Traditionally, the type of poppy seed used in baking is the annual
poppy, Papaver somniferum, also known as the opium poppy.  The poppy
you grow from this could be quite variable in form and color but
certainly worth a try.  Just scatter the seed where you want the plant
to grow (this type of poppy does not transplant at all well) then
thin the plants after they sprout.  You might want to rake the soil
slightly after you scatter the seeds.  The plants re-seed themselves
(do they ever!!) easily, so good luck and enjoy

Don Martinson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 12:17:58 -0700

> (do they ever!!) easily, so good luck and enjoy

p. somniferum is availible from shepards seeds as well. danish flag and
bread seed poppies. the danish flag (red petals with white inside) make a
very nice contrast to the standard oriental poppy (red petals with black/dk
brown inside).

last year i tried to buy some nepalese poppies from a small canadian seed
company - they ran out quickly, so i never got mine. reportedly difficult
to grow (as they generally grow in 10000 ft altitudes) and a lovely
blue-purple. i had to borrow the catalog, so i don't have it anymore. does
anybody know what these really are (are they papaver *something*) and where
i might find another source? i'm slowly acquiring a slew of different types
of poppies and am still interested in getting some of these if i can only
ever find them again.

-- 
like the forest's fight for sunlight, it takes root in every tree
pulled upwards by the magnet, believing they are free
         -- genesis

sonny hays-eberts
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 10:03:45 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>

> of poppies and am still interested in getting some of these if i can only

I think I recognise your description as Meconopsis Grandis from the 
Himalayas upto 15000' altitude, beautiful blue/purple flowers to 5" across.

If so then Chiltern Seeds list it in the UK - 
	Tel +44 (1229) 581137   Fax: +44 (1229) 584549

Quite a few other Meconopsis species are offered as well, they are supposed
to grow OK in the UK, US Pacific NW and other damp summer climates.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 15:22:46 GMT

Don Martinson

---

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 12:17:58 -0700

sonny hays-eberts

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 10:03:45 +0000

Hope this helps.

Regards,

---

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 12:17:58 -0700

sonny hays-eberts

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 10:03:45 +0000

Hope this helps.

Regards,

---

From: [email-masked] (Mbwa Baka)
Date: 12 Apr 1995 16:50:20 -0400

I think Thomson & Morgan carry them also.  Amy

---

From: [email-masked] (K C DUNN)
Date: 15 Apr 1995 15:21:49 -0400

Will the flowers bloom the same season you plant the seeds?  I am
relatively new to gardening and some of the seed packets and books I've
read have conflicting information.  I have started annuals, perennials,
and herbs in humidomes from seeds; I am so excited and will be bummed if I
don't see the fruits of my labor this year !  I have just transplanted the
oriental poppies and they are growing rapidly in the peat pots.  How tall,
or what month should I plant them outdoors ?  I live in coastal New
England.  Forgive any stupid statements/questions, as I said, I'm new to
gardening!!

---

From: [email-masked] (K C DUNN)
Date: 15 Apr 1995 15:21:49 -0400