Subject: Need help, can't get grass to grow under my maple trees

From: [email-masked] (KNUTE44345)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 20:32:26 -0500

It might as well be the Gobi desert under my Norway maple trees. I can't
get grass to grow! We live in Michigan, the rest of the lawn is fairly
healthy, but it is dirt under the maples. How do I get grass to grow under
these trees? Is it a shade problem?, is it a chemical problem?, please,
any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Tom Knudtson, dead grass under the maples.

---

From: [email-masked] (LMCostich)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 21:33:55 -0500

Give up.  In addition to lack of light, the tree is sucking all the
moisture out of the top few inches of soil.  Try growing hostas instead. 
They actually LIKE dry shade, and you don't have to mow them!

Lisa

---

From: [email-masked] (Lianne Barre)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 15:24:40 GMT

We have the same problem, and discussed it with a consultant
at a local garden supply store. She explained that grass won't
grow under maples not so much because of the shade, but because
of the extensive root system. The roots are close to the surface,
and they draw away any moisture that the grass (and other plants)
would need. 

She suggested hostas or daylilies, both of which come in a 
wide variety of sizes and colours. We're going to have a more
extensive consultation next week; if I find out more, I'll
post again.

-- 
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| Lianne Barre // Bell-Northern Research // Ottawa, ON, Canada |
|         My employer does not share my opinions.              | 
+--------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 18:46:58 GMT

No it is a competition problem.  The roots of the maple tree are
surface located.  While not right on the surface they are very
close to it.  They suck up the water and nutrients needed by the
grass to grow.  If you water enough and fertilize enough then the
tree grows and sucks up more water and more nutrients!!!  A tough
nut to crack.  The easiest way to get grass to grow like that is
to grow tree and grass together.  Plant a small tree and then plant
grass and grow both of them at the same time.  Competing root
systems force themselves to look in other places for nutrion.  You
can put a thin 1-2" layer of soil on top and grow the grass. 
But this is a temporary solution as the tree roots will eventually
grow into that soil as well.  The thing is to grow shade and
draught tolerant plants in that area!!!  At least thats what I
do!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Lianne Barre)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 15:24:40 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 18:46:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 18:46:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 00:37:29 GMT

Don't feel bad, nobody can!