Subject: Growing mimosa

From: [email-masked] (Voorlichter WP medische informatica)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 15:22:10 GMT

Hello,

Last sunday I saw at the local gardencenter mimosa, it was blooming very 
nicely.
I know this plant of hollidays in the south of France and Spain and was 
asking myself if it is possible to keep this plant in the north in a much 
colder climat like The Netherlands, Germany or Belgium (I live near the 
crossingpoint of these countries in Maastricht, The Netherlands) because it 
is really beautiful.
I think you have keep it at a cool place in winter but still how is growing?
If somebody keeps them in a colder climat has any information (also about 
its origin, etc.), I am very curious.
Other subtropic plants like oleander, hibiscus do grow here.

Thanks in advance,

Danielle

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 11:49:58 GMT

>Other subtropic plants like oleander, hibiscus do grow here.

I have never seen a mimosa grow where they had serious winter.  A
few degrees of frost, yes; but not winter.  BTW, before you plant
one -- each of those lovely, fluffy, pink-and-white blooms will
produce 15 - 20 seeds; which are very, very happy to sprout.  Owning
a mimosa means weeding out all of the volunteers each summer.

Chris Owens