Subject: How to pick out a weeping cherry tree

From: [email-masked] (sylvia m tou mfen stnt)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 01:07:36 GMT

I am planning on buying a snow fountain weeping cherry at the
local nursery.  What should I look for in a tree?  The tree comes
in a pot (~18"), what is the best way to get it out of the pot?
Please send responses to [email-masked].

Thanks.

		-- sylvia

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Mar 1995 18:58:08 GMT

[email-masked] (sylvia m tou mfen stnt) wrote:
>
> 
> I am planning on buying a snow fountain weeping cherry ...

I have had a snow fountain weeping cherry for about 2 years now.  I
purchased it mail order from Northwoods Nursery in Oregon.  I guess
the way to chose one of these is to look for one whose form YOU like.  
I would look for a fairly straight standard (main trunk) and a balanced
form for the weeping stems.  Mine didn't bloom well last year but we 
had -20F, so that was not unexpected.  There was no branch die-back tho.
I assume (?) you'll be buying a dormant plant, so just carefully remove
it from the pot with as much dirt as possible and straighten out any
badly curled roots.  Otherwise, no special care is needed other than 
keeping it well watered the first year.  Also, if you're buying a dormant
plant, you might already be able to see the fattened flower buds on it.
So if you find one that has a lot of buds, that might be a good one to
chose.  P.S. I garden in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Don Martinson
[email-masked]