Subject: Re: Help - propagating rhodadendrons

From: Karen Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 18:02:59 -0800

Dave, the easiest way to propagate rhodies is by layering.  Bend a branch 
down to touch the ground, wound it on the underside and make sure it has 
excellent contact with the soil.  I put a rock on mine, but other people 
use bent wire like hairpins to hold it down.  Come back two years later 
and dig up your new plant.  If you wish to take cuttings, you might look 
for a copy of The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Michael 
Dirr and Charles Heuser which goes into rooting hormones etc.  He states 
that the best time to take cuttings for rhodies is between Aug and Nov in 
New Jersey, so you have time...
Karen 

On 28 Mar 1995, HassMfgCo wrote:

> I wish to propagate our rhodadendrons.  The sections in our gardening
> books are very brief.  I will appreciate any advice.  We live in upstate
> New York near Albany.  Thanks.
> 
> Dave Hass
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked] (HassMfgCo)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 10:06:04 -0500

Dave Hass

---

From: [email-masked] (Brent Barmore)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:01:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Karen Russell <[email-masked]> says:
Rhodies are kinda hard to propagate A-sexually. However if you can 
give bottom heat to the containerised soil (about 10-15 degrees higher
than the surrounding air) and keep under a mist system or keep very
humide, you may have some luck if the molds and like dont get them. 

Air layering comes with pretty good sucess. Go for it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Brent Barmore)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:01:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Karen Russell <[email-masked]> says:

---

From: [email-masked] (Brent Barmore)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:01:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Karen Russell <[email-masked]> says: