Subject: How much sun is full/partial/none?

From: [email-masked] (leelab)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 16:59:16 GMT

Hi All!

I'm in the process of planning and planting flowers in my yard.  I'm in my 
first house and I'm so excited about planting in a yard instead of using 
only containers!  So far my crocus, daffodils, jonquils and tulips are 
blooming (I moved in last September and planted these the weekend after I 
moved in).  Wow!  Something worked and I had no idea what I was doing. 

When I plant spring bulbs, seedlings, etc, the directions tell me the 
flowers like full sun, partial sun/shade, or are shade loving plants.  So 
how much sun is full sun?  Never a drop of shade?  How about partial sun?  I 
have part of my house that gets several hours of morning sun (in the shade 
by noon) and then doesn't see the sun again until 5:00pm or so, for the last 
few hours.  So is this for partial sun plants?  Or will shade loving plants 
do okay? How much sun can shade loving plants handle?  

Am I making any sense?  I'm guessing there is no easy answer to this 
question; there never is.  I'm assuming its going to depend on the 
particular flower.  I live in Columbia, MO (middle of the state) and sorry, 
I can't remember my zone.  I want to say 7, but I could be totally wrong!

Thanks for any advice.  This group is really helping me out and I'm hoping 
my yard will look great this year and not just full of weed gardens!

Beth
[email-masked]