Subject: Re: *** Herbs under roses? ***

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 13:44:45

>I love to grow violets beneath my roses.  In fact, I grow
>violets wherever anything else doesn't grow.  Monday night I
>made my first violet jelly.  It is a beautiful rasberry color
>but my violets are not "odorata" and have no scent.  Still, the
>color is lovely and lemon is a nice taste too.  Anyway, the
>violets are swarming all over the place in my yard...I only
>hope they'll help choke out the wire grass!

>Bess Haile
>smacking her lips in her zone 7 garden in tidewater VA

This gives me an idea...maybe I can transplant those buggers in my lawn
to under the roses.  Sounds pretty too!

Ruth
     __             ___        __
__  ////\  /\/\  /\/ _//\ __  /// | Anne McCaffrey: Master Word Crafter|
\\\//// '\/    \/ / /\/ '\\\\///  | Princess:  Cutest Wiggle Tail Ever!|
 \XX/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\__/\/\/ \XX/   | [email-masked] or [email-masked] |

---

From: [email-masked] (Bess Haile)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 22:30:46 GMT

It IS pretty! That's why I began moving them from the yard to
the garden.  Now they are spreading all over the pathways.  I
hope soon I won't have any grass to mow, just violets to walk
on.  And right now, with them blooming, it is breathtaking! The
ones beneath the roses are tall and mounded clumps of fat
blooms and the ones on the paths, which get tromped on, are low
and the blossoms have tiny short stems.  But the effect is
fantastic.  

Bess Haile
pretending in her garden in Tidewater VA

---

From: [email-masked] (Bess Haile)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 22:30:46 GMT

Bess Haile