Subject: Flowers for very sunny, hot area?

From: [email-masked] (Michelle A. Berteig)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:35:49 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations.  I live in southern California, in
the Pasadena area.  I have a long, skinny rectangular house that runs
east/west, with the front of the house facing south.  There are 2 flower
beds running the length of the house on that south side.  They get full
sun ( a lot of sun!) and it is very hot and dry (although we water regularly).

Right now, I have a very large hibiscus, a small orange tree, gladiolas,
and I planted daffodils and ranunculus, which all came up fine.  I've
planted vinca every year, which seems to do pretty well also.  I guess
I'm looking for something a little more showy, that can withstand
the heat, plus a certain amount of neglect.  I like begonias, but I've
heard they are shade only.  Does anyone know anything about cannas?
I've also been thinking about daylilies.  Any advice as to what other
kinds of showy flowers would do well?  I'm also interested in those that
would flower almost year-round (it doesn't get that cold here--my hibiscus
has flowers year-round), or combinations of plants that would have flowers
year-round. 

Thank you very much for any advice!

Sincerely,

Michelle Berteig, [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Sheryl Todd)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 20:30:32 GMT

Our snapdragons did really well in last summer's dry record heat (lots of 
days over 100 deg.) in full sun. In one area on the side-yard they almost 
never got water and amazingly were still alive at the end of summer. Good 
luck!

Sheryl in western Colorado

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 20:19:30 GMT

|> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
|> (Michelle A. Berteig) wrote:
|> 
|> <snip>
|> > I'm looking for something a little more showy, that can withstand
|> > the heat, plus a certain amount of neglect.  I like begonias, but I've
|> > heard they are shade only.  Does anyone know anything about cannas?
|> > I've also been thinking about daylilies.  Any advice as to what other
|> > kinds of showy flowers would do well?  I'm also interested in those that
|> > would flower almost year-round (it doesn't get that cold here--my hibiscus
|> > has flowers year-round), or combinations of plants that would have flowers
|> > year-round. 
|> > 

  If you like begonias you could try the bronze leaf begonias.  They can
take the sun much better than the standard green leaved varieties.
Some by name are Vodka, Gin (and other alcoholic varieties that I can't
remember at present).

   Most daylilies do not have a long bloom period.  So if you go that
route choose carefully.  Stella d' Oro is one that does, amoung a few
others.

   I also like Zinnia augustifolia, an annual that has loads of blooms per
plant.  Although each bloom is not showy itself the overall appearance 
is really nice.  These zinnias have small flowers (around 1/2"-3/4" dia.).
Very long bloom period.

-- 
Rich Campbell, zone 7 (near Dallas)

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 Apr 1995 04:09:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Michelle A. Berteig) wrote:

<snip>
> Michelle Berteig, [email-masked]

Some that I can think of off hand that would do well are gazanias, African
Daisies, Lavender, Santolina, Mexican Sage, roses.  Some other bulbs you
can try are Sparaxis, Mexican Shell Flower, Tuberose.  Hope this helps!

Linda
[email-masked]
Northern San Diego County Inland
Sunset zone 21, USDA zone 9

---

From: Audrey Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Apr 1995 18:27:08 GMT

I have 20 beautiful rose bushes at my place in hot, dry, inland Southern 
California.  I am there one week per month or less.  They get pruned 
once a year.  They get ladybugs for aphids.  They get drip irrigation on 
a timer.  I NEVER do anything to them in between.  They bloom nearly all 
year.  They thrive on my neglect.  They love full sun.  I have had them 
for many years.  Try them--you might fall in love with them like I have.

---

From: "[email-masked]" <Catherine.Calhoun>
Date: 12 Apr 1995 19:35:26 GMT

<Exerpt> 
> |> > Does anyone know anything about cannas?

Cannas are a good choice for a hot VERY sunny area. They are
showy, prolific, and love sun. They generally come up around 
early March here (I straddle zones 8 and 9) and bloom from April 
through the end of September. Your bloom time might be shorter 
depending on where you are (don't remember from the original post).
At the end of the growning season after the blooms are gone and the
leaves start to brown simply mow or weed eat over them and take them
all the way to the ground.

Cannas come back each year and are incredibly prolific. Approximately
the 2nd year after you plant you'll have to thin them like crazy. 
A friend gave me 5 one year. By the third year I had enough to fill
three 4x8 beds. They are give aways after that unless you have 
acres of sunny places!

Catherine