Subject: Re: Advice for starting a garden club?

From: [email-masked] (GROWIT)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 21:18:34 -0500

>I'm thinking about starting a garden group at my church - using gardening
>as a common bond to help re-establish a sense of community in a church
that
>has had a rough past couple of years, and because I'd just like to have a
>garden club.  I haven't thought through this very far, but it's occurred
>to me that we could combine our excess production and help supply some
>of the local "soup kitchens".  I've never been a part of a gardening
>group, though, so I'd like advice if anyone has some, on how to start it,
>set it up, etc.  How should we structure meetings and such;  what are
>some good programs, how long should they be;  In other words, where do
>I start?  Any and all help appreciated.

Harry; Just start it! I'm a member of a rather large club (160 members),
we have monthly meetings, major plant sale in spring using purchased
plants but a lot donated by members and grown in a greenhouse that gives
us space. In late summer, we have a show that is judged, usually get 1,500
entries; it's very exciting to win a best of class plaque or a blue
ribbon. Also an annual picnic and dinner. If you want to affiliate with a
national, you could contact the Gardeners of America Inc. in Iowa or find
the local Federated State Garden Club and see how to hook into their
national. Regarding giving away excess food, my professional organization,
the Garden Writers Association of America, is sponsoring a program called
Plant a Row for the Hungry which encourages gardeners to contact their
local food pantry and see how to contribute their excess food. Give it a
try! bill in chicago.