Subject: invasive plants

From: [email-masked] (AIRD MELANIE DAWN)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 14:33:49 GMT

i'm sure someone has brought this up, but i haven't seen it in the last 
couple of weeks, so here goes.

please make sure that invasive plants are either native, or containable.

i'm in new brunswick (canada) and we're having a massive problem with an 
invasive plant that is not native, but is taking over huge areas.  i can't 
remember the name (does anyone here?), but they are tall, bright purple, and 
so beautiful that people are transplanting them from ditches to their 
yards.  the problem is that each of these guys produces about a million 
seeds... :(

mda

---

From: [email-masked] (Moira Carlson)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 17:11:03 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (AIRD MELANIE DAWN) writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Posted: 20 Mar 1995 14:33:49 GMT
>
> Org.  : St.Thomas University
>

I suspect that you are referring to Purple Loosestrife.  It is a real
threat (particularly to wetlands) and in most places it is now illegal to
sell it.  Unfortunately that doesn't stop people from doing what you are
talking about without understanding the dangers.

Cheers,
Moira