Subject: Re: Camellias

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 95 11:12:38 EST

Contact a local garden center to find out where you can have a soil
text done.  Dig out a sample of soil by the camellias as directed, and
see what they tell you.

Chances are the soil is too alkaline, or lacking in some trace
element.  If you haven't been fertilizing the soil, it could even be
a nutrient deficiency.

If the flower buds you mentioned are as big as hazelnuts, they're
flower buds.  If the buds are elongated, about the size of half an
almond meat (cut lengthwise), they're just leaf buds.

IJ>I've had my camellia for about 2 years now and each winter it produces
IJ>buds which never bloom.  I don't know if the location is too shady or if
IJ>it is the soil (which I plan to check soon).  I would appreciate any
IJ>information to help my camellia produce flowers!

Richard Shiell, ASLA    Bakersfield, CA         [email-masked]
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Running MajorBBS and Internet!
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     Desert Jewel BBS & OnLine Mall
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     Discounted Hardware & Software
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     BBS == 805-397-2063 14.4 n-8-1

---

From: [email-masked] (JCannoy)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 17:38:28 -0500

Richard,

Thanks for the camellia tips!   I do have flower buds that look like
hazelnuts, so at least I'm on the right track.  Now all I need to do is
check the soil, which is a gray-blue clay.  The cooperative extension
nearby would probably do a test.  

Thanks again!

Sherrie