Subject: tractors in general you pay for what you get!

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 16:48:00 GMT

When you look at the different features of garden tractors the
biggest differences are going to be mechanical type of differences.

Type of transmission the tractor has hydro or non hydro

size of engine

type of oil system - most tractors use a splash type oil protection
while the more expensive have an oil pump ie john deere.

Mowing deck and how the deck floats on the tractor is a
significant difference in most tractors.  

size and power of altenator 

Removal and addition of components 

PTO or power take off is it available?

Resale or trade in value if you want to trade up or sell.

Local dealer for parts and service

Different safety features - dead man switch, governer, safe gas
storage etc.
 
 All of these features add up to a different type of tractor.  My
dad has a 20 yr old wheel horse with 8hp that still runs fine.  He
does take care of it changes oil frequently etc. 

Some of the best are John Deere and Honda they are also some of
the most expensive.  However if you buy the tractor and it does
exactly what you need it to do then what does it matter what the
brand name is???  A tool is a tool if it does the job then it is
the right tool if it doesn't do the job it is the wrong tool
regardless of price!!!!