Subject: Garlic great, lettuce limp...

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 95 17:24:18 GMT

Here is a progress report on my *first* veggie garden in ten years  (yea!),
and a plea for help.

The cool weather crops went in on March 3.  They were garlic, romaine
lettuce, spinach, texas sweet onions and sugar snap peas.  All but the
onions were from seed.  Soil was tested conditioned mulched, tilled and just
right.  It is river bottom soil, as our house sits on the two hundred year
fllod plain.  Oh yea, i am in Knoxville, East Tennessee, elev. 1200.

Good news:  spinach and garlic are thriving!  The garlic is already about
twelve inchs high and the spinach about one inch, soon to be thinned.

The lettuce is ssllloowwly starting to sprout, but rather nonchalently.  The
sugar sanps never sprouted and the onoins are just sitting there.

Any advice?  I understood garlic was difficult to grow and expected problems
with it, but it looks like my gardening thumb is on backwards!

Christine Owen, are you out there ? <grin> ;-)

Meredith, zone six or seven depending on the map.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerald Sacks)
Date: 28 MAR 95 11:59:42

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Steve Rehrauer) writes...

>The April edition of National Gardening magazine has an article on
>snap peas.  According to them, the original "Sugar Snap" variety is
>plagued by poor germination rates.  And here I just thought all along
>it was me! :-/  I've always had spotty luck with this variety.

I planted my sugar snaps indoors in 2' sections of plastic gutter on March 12.
I had over 90% germination.  They're now 4-5" tall and hardening off.  I hope
to put them in the garden by Sunday at the latest.  Most books say peas don't
transplant well, but George Van Patten recommends starting them indoors.

Gerald Sacks			[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 18:27:47 -0800

I'd like to hear more about this plant if you ever find out what it is...

-Willow     ([email-masked])
---------------------------------------------------
I'm back!!!!! YIPEE!!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Batson)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 02:03:29 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: Last year establishing an herb garden we purchased something
: call water pepper.  It grew well, getting 3 feet tall and bushy
: with green leaves 3 or more inches long.  The leaves added a
: sharp mild "hot" flavor to our salads.  I enjoyed cooking with
: but didn't know what it was and don't recall comming upon it
: during my readings.  Stems were firm and woody & I don't remember
: any flowering or seed pods.
:  
: I cut it back last Fall but see no signs of life now after a
: mild winter.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  And where
: can I get it?
:  
: PS  It never did did produce any peppers.

The botanical name for your plant is Persicaria hydropiper and also goes 
by the common name of Smartweed. The seeds are called Yanagi-tade.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Batson				L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
[email-masked]			Kansas City
[email-masked]			USDA zone 5
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.