Subject: Info needed on "Devil's Backbone" houseplant

From: [email-masked] (Kashmir761)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 23:54:24 -0500

My mother-in-law recently gave me a strange looking plant she called
"Devil's Backbone".  The plant has twisted green "zig-zag" stems, and the
leaves are white with green and pink "splotches" (although the new growth
is totally green).  I have been unable to find information about this
plant, and would like to know about the cultural requirements (amount of
sunlight, water, etc.).  

Thanks in advance,

Sherry

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerald W. Roe)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 18:41:49 GMT

The plant you describe is almost surely Pedilanthus tithymaioides
variegata, aka Diablo's Spine or Redbird Flower. It is in the 
Euphorbia family, a succulent. As such, it wants sun and not much
water, although like other succulents it should be watered more
in late spring/early summer when it is growing rapidly. Potting
mix or soil should be well-drained. 
-- 
Trans-Pacific Nursery        Rare and Exotic Plants
Email catalog available      Timber Press books discounted