Subject: Re: Dianthus - Common name?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Mar 95 20:44:55 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (S. Plunkett) writes:
> I have planted some Dianthus from seed this spring, and the seedlings
> are doing wonderfully.  I picked it almost randomly from a selection
> of seed packets, and would like to know some more about it.

Various species of Dianthus are annuals, biennials or perennials, and
range from upright plants to cushion-y plants to low groundcover
types.  The genus is among my favorites* because of the variety
of colors and patterns of the flowers, and because of the fragrance of
many of the species and cultivars...  sort of clove-ish.

Dianthus caryophyllus is the florist's and garden carnation, also
called the clove pink (pink because of the ragged edge of the
petals, from which we get "pinking shears" in sewing).
True clove pink, D. plumarius is also involved in the breeding of
garden carnations, and D. x allwoodii is a hybrid carnation.

Dianthus barbatus is Sweet William, a biennial, that has delighted
me for 35+ years with its endless variety of patterns on the flowers.

D. chinensis (Chinese pink) and D. chinensis cv. Heddwigii (Japanese
pink) are low growers that will flower the same year from seed.

There are about 300 species of Dianthus, so you'll have fun trying
as many as you can!

Kay Klier  [email-masked]
   *would someone care to explain to my non-gardening SO the
    ramifications of buying a house with a gardener who
    can rarely think of a plant she truly totally hates?
    But be gentle when you tell him... try not to make
    comparisons with Butchart Gardens, etc, please!

Dianthus armeria, beloved in rock gardens, is Deptford pink.