Subject: Re: Growing Celery

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:24:37 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ed Walter) writes: 

>
>
>I've been watching this newsgroup for a while in hopes of some info on what
>it takes to grow celery properly. My wife and I tried growing some for the
>first time last year and didn't have any luck. It grew alright, but it grew
>almost all leaf and no stalk. Something tells me that there must be something
>akin to pruning or some other such *controlling* technique which forces
>stalk growth rather than leaf growth. I haven't been able to find this info
>anywhere so far though. I know it's a basic sort of question but then most
>questions are aren't they ;-).
>
>Thanks in advance for any information,
>Ed.
>--
>
>
>
>Ed Walter - Software Analyst -      OSSHE  Information Technology Services
>Oregon State University  Ads B211k  P.O. Box 488  Corvallis, Or 97339-0488
>E-mail - [email-masked]     Phone:(503) 737-3346     Fax:(503) 737-0850
>Disclaimer: My opinions 'cause I wouldn't let THEM have 'em.
>

You need to bury the stalks of celery as they grow.  This will make
them lighter in color, milder in flavor, and taller.  If you don't
like cleaning out the dirt, wrapping a piece of newspaper around
the stalks before mounding up dirt around them helps a lot.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Walter)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 20:31:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:24:37 GMT

Chris Owens