Subject: Re: fragrant roses?

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 05:10:30 GMT

On 14 Mar 1995 08:40:25 GMT, 
Hi  <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Could anyone tell me what the most
>fragrant roses are called?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>
There is no specific rose, or group of such, that have all the fragrance.  
It is true that old rose groups generally have more fragrance than many new 
varieties since form/color have become the driving force behind modern 
hybridizing (like shipping/keeping qualities are more important in 
commercial tomato production than flavor).  Damask roses (an old rose type) 
are one of the generally fragrant types (remember hearing references to 
"damask fragrance?").  However, I know of several very fragrant modern 
hybrid teas.  Many other roses (many different types) have fragrance that 
can be described ranging from lemony to spicy.  

I would suggest checking out the catalog from Heirloom Old Garden Roses, 
24062 River Side Drive NE, St. Paul, OR  97137.  They charge $5 for the 
catalog, but it is worth it as it is really almost a reference book.  They 
maintain a list of fragrant roses and other lists of roses for other 
purposes.  Many other catalogs will tell you if an individual rose 
has fragrance.

lah
[email-masked]