Subject: Re: Bougainvillea

From: [email-masked] (Neefer)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 17:52:19 GMT

<[email-masked]> wrote:
>  I planted 6 bougainvillea last year and it look like I have lost 4 to 
>frost or something. They lost all of their leaves. Can they be revived?

You don't say where you are, but I don't know if a cold winter
like zone 8 (hee, hee) is harder on  a bougainvillea than a mild
winter like zone 9.

This is my experience.  I live in Livermore, CA, USDA zone 9,
Sunset zone 14.  I have 2 bougainvilleas in pots.  Every year,
when I have just about given up on them because they have lost
all thier leaves and they look kinda dried and tired, THEY LEAF
OUT!  So I keep them for another year.  Mine are not big bloomers.

Since I don't know you are (but I think rain.org is in S. CA(?))
I would recommend waiting until it is midspring before making a
decision.  Unless they are prominately positioned, that is.  Then
you might want to take them out because they are gonna do this
every year.

Someday, I will have my dream garden with a greenhouse (and a lot
of other things), and I will put my potted bougainvilleas in
there for the winter. 

>  Also, a neighbor has some large, established plants that they just 
>trimmed. I can get cuttings, but I don't know if they can be rooted. They 
>are not as easy to propogate as grapes, for example, I am sure. Does 
>anyone know how it's done ?

Heck, it's almost free.  Try it.  You might want to invest in
rooting hormone.  I have a friend who bonsai's, and he swears
it makes creating a little tree from a cutting easy.  I bought
some, but I haven't used it.

Good luck,
-- 
Jennifer in California                       [email-masked]
   
Beggars' Blocks and Blind Man's Fancy, Boston Corners and Beacon Light,
Broken Stars and Buckeye Blossoms, Blooming on the Tree of Life

---

From: [email-masked] (WEIR ANDREW L)
Date: 23 Mar 95 21:28:23 GMT

[email-masked] (Mary Panza) writes:

>Much stuff about bougainvillea deleted.... 

>Does anyone have any thoughts on keeping bougainvillea indoors? 
>I leave in the Seattle area and would love to a have 1 or a few potted for
>outdoors on the porch in summer (all 3 weeks of it) and bring it in for
>the winter. Is it possible to keep the plants small enough so that they
>won't take over my living room? Lighting and temperature control won't be
>a problem.

>Your opinions are appreciated... 

>-Mary Panza

>-- 
>Mary Panza                                           [email-masked]
>Adobe Systems, Inc.,Prepress Group,411 First Ave. S,Seattle,WA  98104

Well mine seem to have survived our winter indoors, and are leafing out
ready to be moved outside soon. They (two plants) are in a 12 inch pot
in front of a south facing window in sunny Colorado. Even then, they lost
virtually all of their leaves and looked like dead twigs most of the winter.
I don't know if you'll have enough light in Seattle (or maybe it was the
temperature?). Mind you, mine are the variegated variety which need more sun.

As for keeping them to size, once established you can prune away. Just watch outfor those thorns - they are sharp!

Good luck

Andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Mary Panza)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 18:20:04 GMT

-Mary Panza

-- 
Mary Panza                                           [email-masked]
Adobe Systems, Inc.,Prepress Group,411 First Ave. S,Seattle,WA  98104
Disclaimer: If I'm talking about our products, I'm probably speaking officially. If it's anything else, my opinions do not necessarily reflect those of Adobe Systems, Inc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Neefer)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 17:52:19 GMT

Good luck,

---

From: [email-masked] (WEIR ANDREW L)
Date: 23 Mar 95 21:28:23 GMT

Good luck

Andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Mary Panza)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 18:20:04 GMT

-Mary Panza

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy D. Buckley)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 22:44:01 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mary

> Your opinions are appreciated... 

I seem to remember an article in Southern Living a few months ago about a
woman (I think she lived in the Atlanta area) who lets hers go completely
dormant and puts them in the basement for the winter.  They evidently
start pretty slowly in the springtime, but put on a great show around
August and September.  I thought it was interesting because everything
else I've read about bougainvillea indoors says they need bright sunlight
all winter.  Now, the Atlanta winters are probably not as long as those in
Seattle, but if you have a cool, dry basement it might be worth a try.

-- 
Jeremy Buckley                               [email-masked]
BTG, Inc., Vienna, VA                        (703) 734-6863

---

From: [email-masked] (Clark Jones)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 00:47:00 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
:   I planted 6 bougainvillea last year and it look like I have lost 4 to 
: frost or something. They lost all of their leaves. Can they be revived?
:   Also, a neighbor has some large, established plants that they just 
: trimmed. I can get cuttings, but I don't know if they can be rooted. They 
: are not as easy to propogate as grapes, for example, I am sure. Does 
: anyone know how it's done ?
: 					thanks,
: 					Larry Ayres

The $#%$%# thing in my back yard has, several times, been taken back by the
frost to the point of appearing dead, but, alas, has always come back.

Trim the things back until you get to the point where you start seeing a bit
of green under the bark, and you'll have the misfortune of still having a
living bouganvilla plant.  In a few weeks, it will spring forth with more
growth than ever.

Getting the idea that I don't like these things?  In my opinion, the only
good use for them is to test herbicides - they make almost as good a test
as bamboo - i.e., if it'll kill one of these plants, it'll kill durn near
anything.

						Clark

--
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are mine and not those of Schlumberger
because they are NOT covered by the patent agreement!

Phone: (602) 345-3638        		Internet: [email-masked]
Packet: [email-masked]		RF: KI7TU
Snail: Clark Jones, Schlumberger Technologies, 7855 S. River Pkwy #116, Tempe,
       AZ  85284-1825

---

From: [email-masked] (Heather Bean)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 13:00:22 -0700

>won't take over my living room? Lighting and temperature control won't be

I've had a bougainvillea indoors year round for about two years now and have
had very good luck with it.  Right now, it's branching out and blooming like 
crazy.  I have it in a (partially blocked by the house next door) south window
here in sunny Ft. Collins, CO.  I'm amazed I've never had any trouble with
leaf dropping in the winter because it's next to a fairly cold uninsulated
window all winter every winter.  From my (very small) sample size of one, they
seem to be rather forgiving plants.  I had trouble a while back with leaves 
yellowing and little new growth, but thanks to some good advice I got here
in rec.gardens, I found that my problem was due to not using enough
fertilizer.  I'm still stunned at how much fertilizer it seems to like -- I
keep thinking I'm giving it so much I'm going to burn it, but it just keeps
getting happier.  

Good Luck!
Heather

---

From: [email-masked] (Darrell Dixon)
Date: 27 Mar 1995 09:36:20 -0700

>-Mary Panza

I have done exactly what you suggest for 2 years now, in the Salt Lake City
area.  Last fall I left it out till the leafs were getting affected by the 
cold.  When I brought it in, it lost those leafs, put out an entire new batch
and has been growing great all winter.  I have read that it is OK to 
drastically prune them, which I did the first year when I brought it in.

One problem, it didn't bloom last year outside.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Darrell ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (PINERYJIM)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 18:00:08 -0500

I have been doing the same thing here in Denver. I have no problem getting
it to bloom; in fact the little bugger blooms all winter long. Won't take
a rest. I think what these things need is a high phosphorous fertilizer. I
have been using Miracle-Gro mixed at the rate of about 1 tablespoon per
gallon of water almost every time I water.

My problem is the doggone aphids. Every time some new growth appears, so
do the aphids. I spray with pyrethrins, the aphids go away and the new
growth dies off. Then we start the cycle all over again. Once I can put
the ting outside for the summer, the aphid problem seems to go away and
the plant does fine.

Irritating.

Jim Harger
Jim Harger

---

From: [email-masked] (PINERYJIM)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 18:00:08 -0500

Irritating.

Jim Harger
Jim Harger

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Apr 1995 11:00:10 -0800

re harsh winters: zone 9 (Hehehe).  We're in zone 11 (in theory- as it doesn't
EVER reach 40 degrees).  Our bougenvillias grow like weeds-- literally.  I
have some which have climbed 20 feet in a single (winter) season- to the
tops of koa, avocado and hala trees.  They do not go dormant- and seem to
have a lot of active vegetative growth during the winter.  i suspect that
it's high humidity and LOTS of water (4-12 inces a day).  try raising the
humidity and watering a lot-- also use a very rich soil.  They seem to
thrive in our heavy clay- and layer naturally.  They will probably root
without hormones in a very rich medium, like fresh compost.  Out here, if
I stick them in the ground, 2 out of 3 will root.
Aloha,
	Elise Swope

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Apr 1995 11:00:10 -0800