Subject: Help using driftwood

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 95 14:33:45 -0500

i just got some beautiful specimens of driftwood which i would like to
use as totems for some climbing indoor plants (philodendron, jasmine).
Is it ok for me to just stick them in the potting soil as is, or will
i have to do something to prevent them from rotting? The pieces are about
3 feet tall and are wonderfully gnarled, so i am also a bit concerned that
the whole thing might become really top heavy when the pot is dry and would
tip over very easily.
 
Any advice about using these pieces would be greatly appreciated.
 
Thanks all.
 
Robert

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 12:53:19 GMT

>Any advice about using these pieces would be greatly appreciated.

Cover the part of the driftwood that will be in contact with the soil
with several coats of clear lacquer; in fact, you can do this to the
entire piece with a matte lacquer.

To keep the pots from getting top heavy, pick deep pots, and put
a large rock, or a several-inch layer of stones in the bottom
before planting.

Chris Owens