Subject: Oozing Grapefruit Tree

From: [email-masked] (John Roland Elliott)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 23:39:51 GMT

We have a grapefruit tree that we started from seed about eight years ago 
and grow in a pot, bringing it in when the harsh New England weather 
appears.  It has started to ooze a sticky substance which coats many of 
the leaves and some of the branches.  What are we doing wrong?  Think it 
would help or hurt to try and clean the stuff off?  If it would help, 
what should we use?  Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 13:03:55 GMT

>what should we use?  Thanks.

First, find out what is eating your tree.  Kill it.  Then, using a mild
soap solution, you can clean off the tree.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (John Roland Elliott)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 21:07:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>soap solution, you can clean off the tree.

Thanks, Chris,

There is no evidence of anything eating the leaves and no remnants of 
spiderweb-looking stuff that sometimes appears with caterpillars.  Could 
it be that I have fertilized it too much or watered it too much to cause 
its sap to seep out through the pores in its leaves?  Except for this 
sticky coating on the leaves it is apparently healthy ... nice bright 
green shiny leaves that it doesn't drop any faster than it replaces with 
healty-looking new growth.