Subject: tips for sourcing for composted manure in any area.

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 1995 17:20:39 GMT

I do not know of anyone but here are some tips.

Most farmers do not have composted manure lying around.  They let
it sit in a pile and spread it at the end of summer or after they
have cut the fields.  Most people just do not have room to let the
stuff lie around all the time!!!  They spread it when they can.  So
your chances of getting composted manure from a farmer is slim.   

The easiest time to get someone is winter and middle of summer. 
Most of the lawn people are looking for something to do with their
vehicles.  This gives you time to compost it yourself.

Look in local adds for handymen looking to make a couple of bucks.  

Uhual and rent a wreck rent pickups for 20$ a day plus gas.

Most farmers if asked will let you have some for free unless you
are going to take truck load after truck load out.

Most farmers are not reading these newsgroups, go to the local
seed store, not the flower stores, like Agway or southern states and
ask the people there if they can help.

I always mix my manure with two forks of manure to a wheel barrow
of leaves, run this through the shredder and it reduces the
freshness of the manure down to something usabll right away.

State fairgrounds is also a good source.  Ours locally has a
giant-huge-tremondous mound of compost taken from the barns
floors.  If you go on weekends there is a guy there that has a
loader and truck and delivers a 6 cubic truck for 60$.  I am sure
your town has the same thing or somebody who does this.  Just hang
around the pile for a couple of hours and ask the people showing
up!!!

good luck