Subject: Double Digging Question

From: [email-masked] (JMWhite)
Date: 31 Mar 95 18:05:43 GMT

O.K. all you double digging (DD) fanatics, I have a question regarding soil 
mixing as a result of DD'ing.

I live in an area which has heavy clay soil.  I have usually just roto-tilled 
in the past but this year I am giving double digging a go.  In Jeavons book, 
he discusses the desire to NOT mix the soil layers (if possible).  The idea 
being that you should loosen the soil but maintain the soil strata in its 
original condition.  Well, when you dig in clay, the soil usually tends to 
stick together (which is the reason I am going thru all the work of DD'ing in 
the first place).  The result is that, at least for the top 12 inches of soil, 
mixing does occur.

My question is:  Why does Jeavons suggest this mixing be avoided?  Is it just 
a touchy-feely organic thing or is there a factual reason why this is bad?  A 
friend suggests that perhaps the desire is to avoid bringing 
nutrient-deficient soil to the top (where you will be planting) and that with 
deep soils (such as my clay) this is not really a problem.  Anybody out there 
know any better?

My newsfeed only picks up about 1/4 of the posts to rec.gardens so e-mail 
responses would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance and sorry for the 
verbosity!

James White
e-mail:  [email-masked]  (or [email-masked])

			Don't blame me, I voted for Tsongas.