Subject: Raised garden ???

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 15 Mar 1995 19:33:43 GMT

--
I had a small raised garden a few years ago that I just threw together from
some old 2x12 boards that were 4' long.  I nailed these together, set them
on the grass and filled it with potting soil.  We had the best cucumbers that
year.  Then I disassembled it when the pool was built.  

Now I'd like to build a permanent raised garden in our side yard.  I plan
on using landscaping timbers and an initial size of 4'x8' with a trellis on
the back side (or through the middle) for the cucumbers, and other vines, etc.
How deep should I make this?  I was thinking 6-8" but I'm not sure.  

I'm making this raised for a few reasons:
  1)good drainage BUT my neighbor's yard drains through the side yard and they
    won't adjust their sprinkler schedule even though my yard may be swampy
    on rainy days.

  2)phone lines, cable, etc run up that side of the yard and really aren't
    that deep.

  3)helps to keep tricycles, toys cars etc from "accidentally" rolling into
    it.

Also, what is the best way to make the corners on these landscaping timbers
and how should I anchor them (is this even necessary)?  The timbers I'm 
referring to are the ones that are rounded on 2 sides and flat on the other
sides.

Thanks, 
  Bonnie
[email-masked]
*******************************************************************
    I hate paranoid people, they're everywhere!