Subject: Crab Grass -- how to grow??

From: [email-masked] (NadiaI)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 20:21:32 -0500

I would like to grow crab grass for a high traffic/dog area.  Any ideas
how
I could go about this?

---

From: [email-masked] (Grahame Rumsby)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 20:33:26 UNDEFINED

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (NadiaI) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (NadiaI)
>Subject: Crab Grass -- how to grow??
>Date: 12 Mar 1995 20:21:32 -0500

>I would like to grow crab grass for a high traffic/dog area.  Any ideas

Well the way I usually grow it is to lay good quality sod down, water and 
fertilize and within a year I have a good lawn full of crab grass and very 
little normal grass!!!

Sorry Nadial couldn't resist..

Grahame

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 19:01:33 -0800

NadiaI ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I would like to grow crab grass for a high traffic/dog area.  Any ideas
: how
: I could go about this?
	You gotta help us here.  There are several plants that people 
call crabgrass.  The 'true' plant is *Digitaria*, an annual that comes 
back each spring.  It grows in a kind of circle from a central stolon.  
The base of each stem is purplish.
	Then there's bermuda grass, *Cynodon*, a wiry perennial grass 
that creeps along the ground.
	Or *Poa annua*, annual bluegrass, a little plant with a 
distinctive seedhead.
	And there are probably others.  Can you ID it from these?
Jerry Heverly, Instr. of hort, Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA
-- 

Jerry Heverly, Oakland, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 16:18:10 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (NadiaI)

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 21:12:34 GMT

> I would like to grow crab grass for a high traffic/dog area.  Any ideas

I would recommend trying a turf-type tall fescue instead of crab grass. 
Turf-type tall fescues stand up to heavy traffic, can be mowed higher and
less frequently than bluegrass and other lawn grasses, require a lot less
fertilizer and are perennial.  Crabgrass is an annual, so you would have to
reseed every year.  Tall fescues are naturally clump-forming grasses, but
the turf-types have been bred to spread and form a uniform lawn.  We use
them here at the Arboretum which is a college campus, too, with great
results.  Turf-type tall fescues are cool season grasses, so they won't do
well in the deep South ( I can't tell where you are from your posting), but
do well in most other areas of the U.S. They are becoming more popular, so
you shouldn't have problems locating seed.  If you need tips for getting
turf started, give me a yell--

Happy gardening--
Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Clark)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:59:52

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
>Subject: Re: Crab Grass -- how to grow??
>Date: 13 Mar 1995 16:18:10 GMT

>> I would like to grow crab grass for a high traffic/dog area.  Any ideas

Wow.  First time I ever heard of anyone wanting to grow crab grass.  I have 
good luck not doing anything.  If I till the soil I get grab grass.  If I 
don't take care of the lawn I get crab grass.  I have a green thumb when it 
comes to crabgrass.  But I've never seen anyone selling the seeds.  Mine 
usually goes to seed in late July or August.  You are welcome to take all you 
want.  
--------------------
Dave Clark - Data General Corp. Westboro, MA
[email-masked]

Opinions expressed are my own.  Any resemblance to other opinions
living or dead are purely coincidental.
--------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 06:13:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik) writes:
>Date: 13 Mar 1995 21:12:34 GMT

>> I would like to grow crab grass for a high traffic/dog area. 

>fertilizer and are perennial.  

>Kris Benarcik

Nadial-
	Listen to Kris. He (she?) speaks rightly! Tall fescue sounds like what you 
want if it will grow in your area.

Steven

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 06:26:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (David Nmi Vales) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (David Nmi Vales)
>Subject: Hedges for southern New Jersey
>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 18:58:33 GMT

>I live in Southern New Jersey Near Philly.  The Soil
>here is basically 3" of topsoil on top of clay.  Due
>to town zoning rules I cannot put up a fence on one side
>of by backyard.  And would like to plant hedges on that side

Privet is a fast grower and should do fine in south Jersey, IF you have full 
sun. I guess it tops out about 12 feet, but most people shear it from 3'-8'. 
For taller hedging, consider arbor vitae, or even one of the hybrid poplars if 
you want something 30 feet or more tall and their 20 - 30 year life span is 
okay with you. Both privet and poplars are available bare root from mail 
order. Watch the Sunday papers this spring for ads.
Steven