Subject: Re: Where's a good place to get 'Hosta's' (mail order)

From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 95 15:53:29 PDT

> Testbed ([email-masked]) wrote:
> : Anyone out there have any recomendations?
> 
> : 	please post to this group since my reader won't accept e-mail.
> 
> : 	Thanks.

This is not in Mass (as the original post requested), but if you really
want Hostas, I'd certainly get ahold of the following catalog:

Plant Delights Nursery, 9241 Sauls Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603; (919)772-4794

Their current catalog, entitled 'America Held Hosta', lists 150 different
Hostas as well as a dizzying array of other wonderful plants in its 110
pages.  The prices of the catalog is (accroding to the cover) $2000 or
10 stamps.  There is also a disclaimer on the cover: 'Warning:  The
Horticultural General has determined that opening this catalog may cause
anxiety, hysteria, and excessive drooling' - which has been all too true in
my own case!!

(As you can probably see, these folks are true plant nuts, and their
selection of plants certainly attests to this fact.  I strongly suggest that
if you have tendancies towards plant lunacy, definitely order this catalog!)
 
 H O R T U L U S   A P T U S  ('gardens', 'suited to their purpose')
 Sean A. O'Hara
 710 Jean Street, Oakland, CA  94610-1459        [email-masked]
 (510) 987-0577

---

From: [email-masked] (D416B/Dave Daulton/X4410/D/B)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 23:19:16 GMT

A good mail order source for hostas is Handy Hatfields, in Circleville,
Ohio.  I don't have his address, but his number is (614) 474-5719.
I believe his catlog is $3.

He has always given me good-sized divisions, and his selection is
extensive, ranging from cheapies, to $300 specimens.  I buy the cheapies,
although I did splurge and spend (I think it was) $28 on Regal Splendor--which
resembles its name.  It is my favorite hosta.

I espcially like shopping at his gardens in person, although I
always feel rather like a vandal, since his stock beds are incorporated into
his landscape, so what I buy comes straight out of his well arranged
plantings.

Dave Daulton, Columbus, Ohio