Subject: Holly and pollination

From: [email-masked] (Samme Orwig)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 12:52:52 GMT

When planting different varieties
of ilex, must one buy the male
pollinator to match each type
of female shrub or tree?

Thanks.

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 16:36:26 GMT

> pollinator to match each type
In most cases, the answer is yes. First, I don't know the degree to
which different species of Ilex cross pollinate.  Unless you know specifically
that they do, assume that they don't.  Second, even within a species, such
as Ilex verticellata, there are early bloomers and late bloomers, so you
must make sure that you have the female and male of the same type otherwise
you'll one will be blooming and the other "won't be ready yet" or it
will already have done its thing - a frustrating situation for any sexually 
reproducing species!
Don Martinson				
[email-masked]

"Existing order thrives upon ignoranceand lies.  
Objective truth and individual reason are feared above all."

---

From: [email-masked] (JWINSTORY)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 18:10:57 -0500

Don Martinson is correct but you also need to plant them close and cover
them with a blanket at night so the won't be embaressed and can do their
thing in private!  

  With tongue in cheek, I said that to a friend years ago and he bit on
it!!  We all had a good laugh!