Subject: How to kill weeds?

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Pelletier)
Date: 22 Mar 95 12:23:18 PST

Can anybody give me some suggestions on how to kill all the weeds on a lot @
25'x40'? There are no ornamental plants to protect and the lot will be used to
park cars, or it will be paved over or built on so I'm not concerned if I
sterilize the soil or whatever. 

The problem is the size of the lot and how to apply the herbicide. Will Roundup
work from a hose-end sprayer? Another herbicide recommends a watering can! What
would you suggest? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan K Poulsen)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 04:34:41 GMT

Daniel Pelletier ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Can anybody give me some suggestions on how to kill all the weeds on a lot @
: 25'x40'? There are no ornamental plants to protect and the lot will be used to
: park cars, or it will be paved over or built on so I'm not concerned if I
: sterilize the soil or whatever. 

: The problem is the size of the lot and how to apply the herbicide. Will Roundup
: work from a hose-end sprayer? Another herbicide recommends a watering can! What
: would you suggest? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

The easiest way that I can think of is to mow everything very short 
(1"). Come summer, the weeds will not be able to handle to the sun and 
hot temperatures and will die out.
If you plan to use round-up (glyphosate), which would do a nice job, wear 
proper safety equipment i.e. rubber boots, gloves, pants, etc. to ensure 
your own well being. It might be just as easy to find someone who will do 
it cheaply. 
				good luck
						  Jonathan

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 14:06:30 GMT

>would you suggest? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

If you are planning on paving over, or building on, the lot, why bother
with killing off the weeds?  Just mow the sucker once a month.
If you kill of this batch of weeds, you will either have to venture
into the expensive and time-consuming porcess of establishing
grass, or will have the whole thing to do over again when new weeds
volunteer.  Save your wallet and the environment, and just keep the
lot mowed down.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 13:41:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Daniel Pelletier) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Daniel Pelletier)
>Subject: How to kill weeds?
>Date: 22 Mar 95 12:23:18 PST

>would you suggest? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

The label on Round-Up specifically says to NOT us a hose end sprayer. I don't 
know why, but there it is. A 25 x 40 lot is not that large that using a tank 
sprayer would be too cumbersome. If you are going topark cars, why don't you 
just mow it once in a while? A cover crop of low weeds would help hold the 
ground and look better than bare earth. 
If you have your heart set on wiping it clean, Try Ortho Triox. You apply it 
with a watering can. Also, you could use Amchem Amitrol or Amizine (Amizine 
lasts longer). Pratt also has a chemical out but I don't recall what it's 
called. Get anything labeled for spraying driveways & such. All of these 
chemicals are effective, but costly. I think Triox goes for about $12-$15 per 
gallon and treats about 400 sq. ft. (I'm working from memory so don't quote me)
Good luck.
Steven