Subject: "natural" selection of violets?

From: [email-masked] (teresa m. esch)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 00:58:50 GMT

I love violets and always have hated cutting the lawn and
having them all disappear :( .  This year for the first time I
have noticed a bunch of really short violets in the yard - 1.5"
tall rather than 4".  Do you suppose this is a kind of natural
selection for shorter flowers that aren't chopped by the
mower?  Or is it just something boring having to do with maybe
violets don't grow as tall in the early spring as they do in
later summer (which is when I usually notice violets).

teresa
--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 95 21:04:53 -0500

>mower?  Or is it just something boring having to do with maybe
 
Gee, I envy you.  I checked out this newsgroup tonight with the
express purpose of finding or asking about violets.  I want them in my
lawn too.
Some months ago I read a newspaper column that mentionned eco-lawn and
fleur de lawn grass seed mixtures.  Of course I cannot find them.  So I
will have to find mowable, semi-tough flowers that can survive in a lawn.
You give me hope.  Now all I have to do is find a generous supply of
violet seeds, plant them around my lawn, and pray for a few short mutants.