Subject: Cyclamen

From: [email-masked] (Fred Simmank)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 02:23:15 GMT

I am currently growing quite a few Cylemen (planted them in November) 
just North of Houston, Texas with fantastic results.  Unfortunately, 
these plants are unable to survive our hot and damp Summers.  A plant 
expert told me that it is possible to store the corms in a dormant state 
during the Summer, and then replant them once cooler weather arrives 
next Fall.  I plan to lift them in late May and let them dry out and 
loose their foliage.  Once the foliage is gone, I will hang the corms in 
potato sacks in my garage for the duration of the hot weather.

Another person I talked to said that once I plant them this fall, it 
will be difficult to get the plants to bloom.  He said that these plants 
require a certain number of hours of light in order to begin blooming.  
I belive he said they need exactly 12 hours of light per day (reminds of 
X-mas Cactus).

Has anyone successfully stored/replanted their Cyclamen, and if so did 
you encounter any difficulties in getting them to bloom?  Did you have a 
fairly high percentage of plants that came out of dormacy and bloomed?  
What procedures did you use to store them?  Their constant blooming 
makes these plants fantastic for Winter landscaping in shady areas, but 
as costly as they are, it would be nice to be able to "reuse" them year 
after year.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.