Subject: Re: AVOIDING / TREATING������

From: [email-masked] (Martin Zimmerman)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 11:56:49 -0600

Mr. Compost (aka Jim McNelly) writes:

> So the word is:
> 
> Use 1/3 well cured compost in your seedling and starter mix and forget 
> about sterilization and protocol for damping off protection.

Can it be any composted material or do things like composted leaf humus
work better than say horse manure? I've got some horse stall muck that was
piled for about 6 months and has sat in bags in my garage over winter. It
has no smell (other than a faint earthy odor) and appears to be well
composted, though its color is more of a reddish-brown than black. The
thing that makes me wonder if it was done is that the pile was still
giving off some heat when I bagged the manure.

Marty (who is getting a load of lawn thatch from a neighbor today to go
with the load of leaves he gave me last fall and is looking forward to
doing some batch composting as soon as the weather warms up)

-- 
Marty Zimmerman                           [email-masked]
Analex Corp - NASA Lewis Research Center
Cleveland, Ohio USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Zimmerman)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 11:56:49 -0600