Subject: Re: Natl Arbor Foundation Trees

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 23:15:47 -0500

Hi --

The story is a wonderful one -- I read it to students in my Environmental
Education class every quarter.  The story is called "The Man Who Planted
Trees and Grew Happiness" by Jean Giono.  It's actually fiction, as I
understand it -- somewhere I read about the story some years ago and the
same question was raised, but the answer was that it was not a true story.
 It IS a story with a great message, though, and it speaks to the power
that one person can have in the world.  Let's all keep planting trees!

Sincerely,
Eric Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:29:15 -0600

They won't bloom for several years yet.  Redbuds have to be small trees
before they bloom.  I have one seven years old that has yet to bloom.  
Plant them in the ground!  They will not grow in pots.  They like at least 
some sun.  Once established they are quite drought resistant.  After many
years they develope lots of character, with picturesque knobs on the trunk 
and larger branches that produce flowers!  Some have attractive chocolate
seedpods; others drab geyish black.  The flowers are edible, but not the 
rest of the plant.  They take a while but are worth the wait.

---

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 23:15:47 -0500

Hi --

Sincerely,
Eric Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:29:15 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (John C Pardon)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 21:32:47 GMT

Good idea to pot them up for a year or two. No reason not to replicate
the same container grown process that nurseries follow. Just make sure
the pot is large enough and loosen the roots or lightly cut before
transplanting to a permanent location. Especially with taprooted trees
such as oaks. I've grown several hundred oak seedlings from acorns in
large pots -- and found happy takers. If you want to plant trees there
are a number of inexpensive sources of really nice and unusual stock.
Oikos Tree Crops, Musser Forest and Windrose are excellent sources. I
like oaks; they're underplanted and it's too bad. Not much posted on
oaks in this group and I'm surprised. 

John Pardon
e-mail with questions or comments

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Martha Frost) writes:
|> I had joined the Natl Arbor Foundation and was promised 10 trees which arrived 
|> mid last week, and I potted them up Sunday. These were bare-root Cercis 
|> canadensis (Redbud). The small accompaning planting guide said to plant them a 
|> foot apart in a temporary bed. I am always plagued by gophers, so I just put 
|> them 1 per 1 gal pot. They do look like "little dead sticks" as one poster 
|> said, but they had that cold supple feel of a bareroot plant. I wonder if they 
|> will bloom this year? It may seem over-sentimental, but I have always liked 
|> trees and felt badly whenever I saw any "removed", whether for a good reason 
|> or not. I have decided to try to plant a tree for each one that I have 
|> personally seen cut down. Not necessarily the same genus in the same place, 
|> obviously, just a new tree. Guess that makes me a good candidate for the NAF.
|> On PBS tv (KCET here)a few years ago, there was a pastel/crayon animated story 
|> of a man who single-handedly replanted an oak forest in the area of 
|> French/Spanish border. Apparently, this was about a real person. Does anyone 
|> know who this was?
|> Regards, Martha
|> [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon LaBadie)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:21:00 GMT

My parents joined several years ago and were rewarded with
their ten trees.  We were then rewarded with the same twigs.

In order to humor my parents, we planted them in a perennial
bed.  Survival rate was low, the blue spruce hung on for
about two years.  Only one that has survived is the red bud.
It is now a nice tree, about 6 years later.

Worked out well, but only by coincidence.  We planted them in
a bed near an old dogwood.  The dogwood has since been removed
and the red bud is taking its place.

Don't expect much from their ten tree offer.

jl
-- 
Jon H. LaBadie                  [email-masked]
 JG Computing                   [email-masked]
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

---

From: Bob Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 23:50:34 GMT

>Don't expect much from their ten tree offer. 
 
  We had success with some of their trees, especially a nice weeping 
willow.  Some of the lilacs look like they may turn out well also (some   
day). 
Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon LaBadie)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:21:00 GMT

jl

---

From: Bob Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 23:50:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon LaBadie)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:21:00 GMT

jl

---

From: Bob Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 23:50:34 GMT

---

From: Bob Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 04:07:49 GMT

[email-masked] (Mike Noeske x4143) wrote: 
>In article <[email-masked]>, Bob Ray   
<[email-masked]> writes: 
>|>   We had success with some of their trees, especially a nice weeping  
>|> willow.  Some of the lilacs look like they may turn out well also   
>|>(some day).  

>I have had good luck with the things I bought from them out 
>of their catalog, (78 out of 80 hedge plants are going strong, 
>and the free red maple that came with them is going also). The 
>stuff in the catalog is larger than the 10 trees for 10 dollars. 
>The maple was 4-5 feet (a big twig with roots) the 10 trees for 
>10 dollars are usually 1 foot (average). I have had about a 
>50 percent survival rate with them. 
> 
 
I just looked at the lilacs this morning and, although they are still   
small, 10 out of 10 are still alive. 
Bob