Subject: help-need to kill brambles

From: [email-masked] (jennifer benger)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 04:42:45 GMT

I need some help with a large bramble (wild rasberries and
blackberries) problem we have in our yard.  The brambles have been
spreading over the last 10 years or so and they are really taking over
the yard now.  We have tried burning the are, digging them all up,
mowing them down and rodertillering them in.  Nothing seems to work -
they just come back stronger every year.  They are located within
20 feet of a natural pond that we have, so we don't want to use
anything that will harm the natural life in the pond. Does anyone have
any ideas on how to get rid of them organicly?  Please e-mail me at
:[email-masked].
Thanks Jen

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 31 Mar 1995 20:14:10 GMT

Has anybody in the New England area (Central Mass. to be specific) had any
success growing artichokes from seed?  If so, can you share any pointers, 
tips, gotchas, etc. that you may have learned about growing them?  There 
seems to be a decided lack of information on growing these wonderful plants
in the gardening guides I have access to.

Thanks,

- Tom

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 9:10:47 PDT

>in the gardening guides I have access to.
Well, I live in Minnesota, where the growing season may be aout the same
length as yours, or even shorter (Zone 4), and I have tried on and off for a
few years with no fruit.  I'm optimistic that I'm getting closer, though -
with aome help from the folks that developed Imperial Star artichokes, which
are supposed to be just what we're looking for: an ANNUAL artichoke.  My
understanding (I hope some artichoke wizard from California will please
correct me as necessary) is that artichokes normally bear the second year;
problem being that since they're not frost-hardy, they never make it to
their second year in our cold climates.  I've started some Imperial Star
seed, and with enough room, sun and food I fully intend to see some results
this year.

Curt

Curt Carlson
[email-masked]
Perseverance furthers.
I Ching

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 31 Mar 1995 20:14:10 GMT

Thanks,

- Tom

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 9:10:47 PDT

Curt

Curt Carlson

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 9:10:47 PDT

Curt

Curt Carlson