Subject: Re: Japanese Loquat

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 17:57:58 GMT

Peter Trask ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have obtained some seeds for a Japanese Loquat tree. I don't know the
: latin name or anything else other than it is a tropical tree similar to the
: Orange tree. The seeds are round and about the size of a filbert nut. Any
: advice on how to germinate them? Also (provided that I have success), any
: advice on care for the trees?

: -Peter-

Be glad I don't flame you.  If you tell us where you are, we might be
able to help you.  This is a common tree in the Houston area.  In fact,
I've grown several myself.  Here the tree self-seeds readily.  Drop
the seed onto soft earth and it will sprout.  Here are some facts:
Height--about 20', and it will reach that in several years.  Gets to
20' diameter but it is easy to keep it narrower than that; it fact it
could probably be espaliered.  The leaves are evergreen and large (up to
10" long).  In January, the tree is covered with fragrant, white blossoms.
In March, the tree is filled with golden fruit clusters, the individual
fruits being half the size of my thumb.  The nut takes up much of the 
fruit.  The pulp is usually a bit tart.  I got a gallon out of my tree
Sunday.  A couple were inedibly sour, most were okay but on the tart side.
A few, I must have picked just right, because they were very tasty.  The
last few mornings and evenings, cedar waxwings have been raiding the tree.
It's showy season will last a few more days at most.

This year, we have a bumper crop.  Some years, with heavy frosts, we might
have half a crop.  North of the middle of zone 8, this tree probably won't
set any fruit.  Two years (1989 and I think 1974), it was cold enough to
kill the trees down to their roots.  They are root-hardy here, however.

The tree seems to do better, if given some compost.  However, it doesn't
do much worse without it.  It grows very easily in many different types
of soils and varying amounts of moisture.

Well, perhaps I've helped you anyway.  Next time let us know where you are,
unless you are going to container-grow this thing.  My advice is either
to be where you can grow this nice tree in the ground, or forget it.  It's 
not 
worth container-growing, in my opinion, since there are better things one
can grow for food, and the fragrant season doesn't last long.

Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 23:46:47 -0500

Hi,

The latin name is _Eriobotria japonica_, and the plant is in the rose
family.  In fact, structurally the fruit remind me much more of pears than
of oranges.  We'd eat lots of them at the garden I worked for in Santa
Cruz, CA, because they would ripen at a time of year when there were very
few other fruits (late spring).

Seeds sprout readily, and they aren't too hard to transplant.  I
transplanted several a couple of years ago that had self-sown in the soil
underneath a tree in the garden.  I agree that they are not worth
container cultivation if you are interested in the fruit, but they might
be worth growing in a container just for curiosity's sake.  They are a
very nice outdoor tree in locations where the climate is mild.

Good luck,
E Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Trask)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:36:38

I have obtained some seeds for a Japanese Loquat tree. I don't know the
latin name or anything else other than it is a tropical tree similar to the
Orange tree. The seeds are round and about the size of a filbert nut. Any
advice on how to germinate them? Also (provided that I have success), any
advice on care for the trees?

-Peter-

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Trask)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 20:39:34

not 
>can grow for food, and the fragrant season doesn't last long.
 
Chad, thanks for the advice. It will be helpful. Sorry about not including
zone info. I live in the Boston area (Zone 6-to minus 10 supposedly) and I
consider it a personal challenge to grow plants that don't "belong" in my
area. I already keep an 8 foot tall avocado tree raised from seed (I use an
industrial two-wheeler to move it in and out with the seasons), three
different types of jasmine, an orange tree, some camelias.... I think a
loquat tree may be a nice addition to my collection. I'll keep the group
posted on my progress.

-Peter-

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 17:57:58 GMT

: -Peter-

Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 23:46:47 -0500

Hi,

Good luck,
E Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Trask)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 20:39:34

not 

-Peter-

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Korbelik)
Date: 14 Apr 1995 21:54:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Ben Sharvy <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Pasted from Fruits & Nuts 2.2...
>
>Loquat
>Harvest & Use
<stuff deleted>

>As far as I can tell, loquats don't grow true from seed, meaning that 
>even if your seeds came from a cultivated variety you aren't likely to 
>get high-quality fruit from them. USDA zone 8 is the coldest it can handle.
>

That's interesting, I have a loquat tree that is a little over
six years old and I got it as a seedling from a friend and it bears
delicious fruit. 

Brian Korbelik
Pasadena, Ca