Subject: Re: Germination time for tall fescue

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 05:15:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (lynn vavra) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (lynn vavra)
>Subject: Re: Germination time for tall fescue
>Date: 10 Mar 1995 09:24:29 GMT

>I sowed tall fescue recently, too, & had to wait about min. 2 weeks before
>I saw anything, & I'm in So. Cal.!  I realize also I might've been better
>off seeding in the Fall, but the seeds have germinated & are going bananas
>now 5 weeks later.  I'm glad I did, they have ample cool weather & rain to
>bide their time until the unrelenting heat of summer here.  Hopefully,
>they'll have had enough lead time to take the heat...               Lynn

Here in Zone 6 (if that has anything to do with anything) K-31and Trophy 
both take about 2 weeks of warm weather and regular watering to see anything 
at all, and 3 weeks before you actually see "grass" growing. 
Remember, when you seed tall fescue, you have to sow a LOT of it. Tall fescue 
(at least, the ones I'm familiar with) don't spread with runners & such the 
way other turf grasses do. I like to use 10 lbs/1000 sowing tall fescue on 
bare ground. Thank goodness it's cheap!

Steven