Subject: Re: Horsetails Help Me

From: [email-masked] (John Pedlow)
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 95 12:25:54 EST

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Scott L David) writes:
>We have horsetails (Equisetum arensii) throughout the garden.  Whiile not
>unpleasant looking, they are invasive and pop up in unwanted places.  The
>...
>anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.
 
i've asked garden stores, farm supply stores, etc how to eliminate horsetails.
even the cooperative extension agent had no suggestion.  i tried continual
cutting with a ribbon hoe (kept other weeds at bay but little effect on the
ht.  i tried repeated applications of roundup (using the farm-supply
concentration); i tried adding soap/detergent to roundup & roundup at very
high cncentrations -- it stunted the horsetails.  last year i mentally
blocked them out.  they own the perennial beds.
john pedlow   in western new york state   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott L David)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 16:52:29 GMT

We have horsetails (Equisetum arensii) throughout the garden.  Whiile not
unpleasant looking, they are invasive and pop up in unwanted places.  The
plant has apparently been in existance since the devonian era, and has
therefore demonstrated its adaptability.  I would like to be rid of the
horsetails if possible.  I would prefer organic approaches if possible.  I
have tried high lime treatment and repeated pulling without effect.  Does
anyone have any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.

---

From: Tory Klementsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 01:27:56 GMT

John

I had them all over the yard when we moved into this house two years 
ago. I hated them! I kept pulling and pulling, straight up to get all or 
most of the root. It seemed to do the trick. Last year I had much less 
hanging around, this year I have seen three, and I get them as babies. 
It also seems that the better my soil is, the less they want to hang out 
with my pretty plants.

I dunno, go figure!

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 13:38:39 PDT

>john pedlow   in western new york state   [email-masked]

An infusion made from Equisetum is supposed to be a good fungicide.

Curt Carlson
[email-masked]
Perseverance furthers.
I Ching

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Dickow)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 21:12:32 GMT

> horsetails if possible.  I would prefer organic approaches if possible.  I

"Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

--Ripley

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 13:38:39 PDT

Curt Carlson

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Dickow)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 21:12:32 GMT

--Ripley

---

From: [email-masked] (Alice A. Harman)
Date: 14 Apr 1995 10:03:17 -0700

A Japanese visitor recently spied some horsetails while we were 
out on a walk, and wanted to pick them and take them home to cook them at 
eat them?  She said get them when they're small, steam them, and serve 
with soy sauce and mirin.  Does anyone know if they're really edible?  
I'm afraid there might be some kind of poisonous difference between 
Japanese horsetails to eat and American horsetails to die for.  ;-)
-- 
Alice Harman <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 14 Apr 1995 17:58:58 GMT

>Japanese horsetails to eat and American horsetails to die for.  ;-)

The best advice would be to check with the Horticultural faculty
and be sure, otherwise abstain from eating them.

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Apr 95 12:39:16 -0500

> Japanese horsetails to eat and American horsetails to die for.  ;-)

To the best of my knowledge, horsetails in reasonable quantities are
non-toxic.  And she may have seen the same species she knew at home.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 16 Apr 1995 14:04:39 GMT

I tried to buy some organic Horsetail at the health food store.  It was 
over $14 a pound for the organic kind.The tea must be good for someting.
.

: >>We have horsetails (Equisetum arensii) throughout the garden.  Whiile not
: >>unpleasant looking, they are invasive and pop up in unwanted places.  The

: An infusion made from Equisetum is supposed to be a good fungicide.
:  

: Curt Carlson
: [email-masked]
: Perseverance furthers.
: I Ching

--

Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked]
or check out my homepage:            http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html    .

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 14 Apr 1995 17:58:58 GMT

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Apr 95 12:39:16 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 16 Apr 1995 14:04:39 GMT

: Curt Carlson

--

---

From: [email-masked] (Sue & David Fletcher)
Date: 17 Apr 1995 02:12:32 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Alice A.
Harman) writes: 

>Japanese horsetails to eat and American horsetails to die for.  ;-)

"Some Useful Wild Plants" (Talonbooks, 1972) says:

"The young shoots of the Horsetail can be used in spring as a potherb
but later become too stiff and covered with silica.  The tough outer
tissue of the stem can be peeled away and the sweet pulp eaten raw. 
Horsetail rushes have been known to poison livestock and so should be
eaten sparingly.  Horsetails have thiaminase which reduces thiamine in
the body."

It goes on to say it can reduce swelling of eyelids, heal ulcers,
stimulate kidneys and help menstrual disorders.  The only use I've
tried is to scrub camping pots and pans.

David Fletcher

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 95 13:05:06 PDT

>Japanese horsetails to eat and American horsetails to die for.  ;-)

If by horsetails you mean equisetum arvense, no, they're not poisonous.  A
tea made from the dried plants was used by American Indians to treat urinary
tract infections.

Curt Carlson

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 95 13:05:06 PDT

Curt Carlson