Subject: Lavender cultivation

From: [email-masked] (Gary L. Popa)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 17:59:23 GMT

Can anyone give me some insight on how to grow lavender 
(LAVANDULA OFFICINALIS)?  Is it difficult to grow?  Does
it need full sun?  Is it a perennial?
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Doelle)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 14:02:43 GMT

Gary L. Popa ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Can anyone give me some insight on how to grow lavender 
: (LAVANDULA OFFICINALIS)?  Is it difficult to grow?  Does
: it need full sun?  Is it a perennial?
: -- 
I planted a raised bed full of lavender and harvested it all year.  We 
didn't have much of a winter here on the Texas Gulf Coast (Houston) so it 
didn't die in the winter.  I pulled most of them to turn the bed under 
but I left one just too see if it would go all year...it is doing fine 
and shooting out flower buds like crazy right now.  The raised bed gets 
sun in the morning through early afternoon.  I am planning another large 
bed of it this year.  (A handful of fresh cut lavender in a sandwich bag 
is guaranteed to stop a headache within minutes after a few deep whiffs)
Good luck.

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Doelle)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 14:02:43 GMT

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Braid/Mandale)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 18:05:50 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

-- 
Lavender is really quite easy to grow - they do not like to have wet feet
though, and prefer slightly sandy and sweetish soil - if you buy a pot of
lavender (or a 6-pack) they may not do too much the first year - but the
second and third year they really explode - especially if you trim them
back in the fall.....I was at the Norfolk Lavender Farm in England last
summer standing in the middle of a 50 acre field of 35 year old lavender
plants - stunning experience - buzzing bees and the scent of lavender -
wow....so I've got 1500 plants growing here in Chester....good luck....
Elizabeth Braid

Goodbye from 
Braid/Mandale Household, Chester Nova Scotia