Subject: Re: Central Texas Summer - What Survives?

From: [email-masked] (Kate Cherry Kassen)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:15:16 GMT

I saw Bonnie's advice and thought it sound.  I'd just like to add on
a few things.  A lot of tropicals do well in Texas, especially further
south of Dallas.  But I don't tend to plant anything that wants
tons of water.  Of course, you usually end up watering a lot anyway,
because of the heat!  The following have been successful:  nicotiana,
moss rose (also known as portulaca), impatiens (need shade for sure!),
geraniums, four o'clocks, roses, and others.  Obviously, I've stuck with
the better known plants.

Two places to try for more information are you local Agricultural
Extension Office and a book--Neil Sperry's Texas Gardening. Sperry
is the Tx gardening god and highly respected out here.  He has a
radio show and newspaper column up here in Dallas and has been 
around for quite a while.

Good luck to you!

Kate

---

From: [email-masked] (Kate Cherry Kassen)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:15:16 GMT

Good luck to you!

Kate