Subject: peony

From: [email-masked] (MirthLW)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 22:21:37 -0500

hi, I live in Michigan and hope to have an extensive collection of Tree
Peony someday.  Any helpful tips?  Any mailing lists for Peony (in
general)????

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:59:23 GMT

>Peony someday.  Any helpful tips?  Any mailing lists for Peony (in

Keep them fed; and, once they are planted, leave the soil around
their roots alone -- they hate to be disturbed.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:59:23 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:59:23 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (BillsDone)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 10:51:21 -0400

a good general rule,in general, i think, is never to argue with ANY
wive/wife...or for that matter, woman, in general...

bill in tennessee

---

From: [email-masked] (Beluga)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 04:34:43 GMT

>Various old wives have told me that you don't disturb Tree Peonies (Peonia 
>suffruticosa, in case you're interested) AT ALL! You don't dead head the 
>flowers, wait 'till the leaves drop to the ground in the fall and then blow or 
>vacuum them up, or rake very carefully, so as not to disturb the soil, etc. 
>Just fertilize them once in a while and  leave them alone and watch them grow. 
>I don't know if all this is true, but that's how I care (or DON"T care) for 
>mine and they seem to be very happy. I NEVER argue with old wives.

>Steven

	I  split up a a four year old tree peony last fall into two pieces and
replanted them in deep, loose soil. They are doing great. Deadhead
them at will. They are quite hearty plants. I recommend splurging on
named japanese varieties as these are much more elegant looking than
the the typical nursery plants. I have a white one with scarlet blush
in the center which is one of the highlights of my garden. Can't
remember the name. I have a pink one that's nearly five feet tall
after five years. 
Jim Nollman
Interspecies Communication Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Beluga)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 04:34:43 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 23:02:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Beluga) says:

>I have a white one with scarlet blush
Your White Peony with the Scarlet Blush in the Centre:  'Festiva maxima'

My sister and I found a clump of this in some loam in Maine. We didn't know 
what variety.  We split it in two, natch.  First year I planted it too deep;
Fixed problem.  2nd year: L-o-v-e-l-y flowers.  ct [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 03:13:33 GMT

Steven