Subject: Garden travel spots???

From: [email-masked] (Chris Doelle)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 14:19:56 GMT

Does anyone know of any good public gardens worth travelling to?  I would 
prefer some in Texas - but am interested in hearing about others.  Thanks

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Carol Brandt)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 16:57:09 GMT

I just returned from a trip to Tucson where I visited the Tohono Chul
Garden for the first time. I think it will become one of my favorite
places in Tucson.  Although not as spectacular as the Arizona-Sonoran
Desert Museum, it does not have the hoards of visitors marching through
it.

Like the ASDM it emphasises native plants and arid garden landscaping. 
As I strolled the paths, I saw new plant compositions that took my
breath away.  They have a wonderful bookstore that is one of the best
in Tucson, covering literature of the SW.  They also have a tea house
in a stately old brick summer home that serves high tea and Sunday
brunch in a wonderful patio setting.  I enjoyed the children's garden
as much as the kids and loved that they had a demonstration garden of
traditional crops that are adapted to the low desert environment.  They
also have evening concerts and a lecture series that includes not only
botanical topics, but talks on local history and culture as well.  This
garden is one of the many "gems" in Tucson, don't miss it if you visit.

---

From: [email-masked] (RODRIGUEZ_CHRISTINE)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 13:20:53 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Desert Museum, it does not have the hoards of visitors marching through

Carol and others:

Thought I haven't been to Tohono Chul Garden, I have seen the Sonoran 
Desert Museum and loved it.  Another great place to visit is the Boyce 
Thompson Arboretum in Chandler, AZ not far from Phoenix.  I just took the 
virtual tour this morning in one of the www pages.  I'd have to backtrack 
to find it again, but would be glad to if anyone wants that URL.

---

From: [email-masked] (RODRIGUEZ_CHRISTINE)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 13:20:53 -0700

Carol and others:

---

From: [email-masked] (Quilson)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 11:49:26 -0400

>Does anyone know of any good public gardens worth traveling to? I would
prefer some in Texas.

The National Wildflower Research Center in Austin has a great public
garden.  It features native plants in very formal to naturalistic
landscapes.  It is a great place to get ideas for your own home; with home
comparison gardens, demonstration gardens, xeric and shade gardens.

Admission to the garden is $3.50, but a year membership is only $25.  The
also have a good bookstore and a clearinghouse for specific questions. 
It's opening April 8th.  The plantings are new this year so it's still a
bit straggly looking, but still great.

I volunteer at the NWCR, so I'm a great fan.  It's a wonderful resource,
particularly for the central Texas gardener.  But they do have information
on stuff all over the country, and a national scope.

Karen Marquardt

---

From: [email-masked] (Quilson)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 11:49:26 -0400

prefer some in Texas.

Karen Marquardt

---

From: [email-masked] (Quilson)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 11:49:26 -0400

prefer some in Texas.

Karen Marquardt

---

From: [email-masked] (Quilson)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 11:49:26 -0400

prefer some in Texas.

Karen Marquardt

---

From: John J. McGeough <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 1995 01:19:08 GMT

Hi Karen:

Could you possibly E-Mail or post the address for the Center?

Thanks,

John McGeough

-- 
John J. McGeough
Raised bed veggies or bust!