Subject: Re: Seeking "Bittersweet", the plant

From: [email-masked] (Gerald Sacks)
Date: 10 MAR 95 11:48:17

I'd think twice before planting bittersweet -- it's very invasive and
practically impossible to get rid of.  That said, I've seen it some
catalogs, I think those of the several companies that are owned by
Plantron Inc. (Gurney's, Henry Fields, Burgess, etc.).

Gerald Sacks			[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert C. Vaiden)
Date: 10 Mar 1995 21:46:35 GMT

Yes...I remember a favorite fall activity was to go into the
country and cut a few branches of bittersweet...I've always
wanted some myself...the wild populations where I grew up
were plowed under and built over years ago.  Just last fall
I acquired 2 from a friend-he says they are endangered (??)
-at least in Illinois.  Proper name is Celastrus scandens.
They can be invasive...but they're neat plants.  You should
be aware that you need 2 plants...male and female.  (Mine came
with red and blue rubber bands...in case one dies, I know which
one to replace!!).

Bob Vaiden

In a previous article, [email-masked] (BillyZee) says:

>Growing up in the Midwest, there was a plant which grew along the country
>fencerows we called Bittersweet- sorry, I don't know the botanical term.
>It is used as an autumnn decoration and has small bright orange berries
>that bloom out of a tan pod. Branches are 1-2 feet long.  I have been
>searching for plantstock of this for months to plant in Northern
>California. No luck. Does ANYBODY have any information on what this is
>really called and where I can acquire stock or seed? Thanks for any help.
>E-mail   [email-masked]
>

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 1995 21:04:16 GMT

> E-mail   [email-masked]

Here in the midwest (Wisconsin), the common bittersweet is Celastrus
scandens.  Most garden catalogs carry it and it may be offered under 
the name C. orbiculare.  Two named cultivars are Indian Brave (male)
and Indian Maiden (female), so here I should warn you that bittersweet
has male and female flowers. on different plants and if you are 
buying unsexed plants, it's best to buy 3 or 4 just to make sure that
you get the attractive fruit that you seek.
Don Martinson				
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Murray Brain Calvert)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 18:04:39 GMT

BillyZee ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Growing up in the Midwest, there was a plant which grew along the country
: fencerows we called Bittersweet- sorry, I don't know the botanical term.
: It is used as an autumnn decoration and has small bright orange berries
: that bloom out of a tan pod. Branches are 1-2 feet long.  I have been
: searching for plantstock of this for months to plant in Northern
: California. No luck. Does ANYBODY have any information on what this is
: really called and where I can acquire stock or seed? Thanks for any help.
: E-mail   [email-masked]

Sounds like Bittersweet Nightshade (Solanum dulcamera). Related to the 
tomato, but berries are poisonous. It grows wild along the fencerows in
Ontario, with purple and yellow flowers, generally pointing downward.
Berries are egg-shaped, about 1/2 inch long, in clusters of a dozen or more.
It would be hard to find seed now, but I could collect some in the fall
for planting next spring.

Brian Calvert ([email-masked])