Subject: Re: Is tomatilla related to the tomato?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Mar 95 20:23:36 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (sylvia m tou mfen stnt) writes:
> 
> Is tomatilla a tomato?  I thought I was (sort of).  My husbands
> says it's not; it just looks like a green tomato.

Well, you're both right, but he's a bit righter...
Tomatoes and tomatillos are in the same plant family, the Solanaceae,
the potato and tomato and petunia family.  They aren't in the same
genus, however:  tomatoes are _Lycopersicon esculentum_, while
tomatillos (also called "husk tomato" (I told you you were sorta right)))
are _Physalis philadelphicus_.  This is the same genus as "chinese
lantern plant" "ground cherry" and "cape gooseberry": if you look at fresh 
tomatillos, you'll probably notice the papery brown sheath that surrounds the 
green fruit.  That's a sign that it's really a _Physalis_

In a pinch, you can substitute green tomatoes for tomatillos in
many recipes.  Add enough hot peppers, and most people will never
know...

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (sylvia m tou mfen stnt)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 15:39:08 GMT

-- sylvia ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 1995 04:24:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> says it's not; it just looks like a green tomato.

No, the tomitillo (Physalis ixocarpa) is related to the husk tomato, aka
ground cherry, cape gooseberry, strawberry tomato, et al.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 1995 04:24:15 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 23:07:34 GMT

>		-- sylvia ([email-masked])

Tomatillos are members of the genus Physalis.  Tomatoes are in the genus
Lycopersicon.  Both genera are in the family called the Solanaceae,
which also includes potatoes, nightshades, peppers, petunias, jimsonweed,
tobacco, etc. etc. etc.  So- yes, they are related.   -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 16:57:29 GMT

>many recipes.  Add enough hot peppers, and most people will never

...and, of course, substitue parsley for cilantro...

ACK!  I guess I'm not most people, Kay... I would find it hard to mistake
green tomatoes for some of the sharper tasting tomatillos- especially
varieties like purple de milpas.  I suppose it's an aquired distinction,
though.  (This is not to say that tomatoes and tomatillos aren't somewhat 
interchangable- I agree.  Green tomato salsa verde, ripe tomatillos in tossed 
salads, etc. are all things I've tried and enjoyed) -RSW

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 17:49:09 -0600

Both are in the Solanaceae, the nightshade family, but belong to different
genera.
sylvia m tou mfen stnt ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Is tomatilla a tomato?  I thought I was (sort of).  My husbands
: says it's not; it just looks like a green tomato.

: 		-- sylvia ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 17:49:09 -0600