Subject: Two types of clematis apparently?

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 17:02:37 GMT

Jackmani - type which bloom on new wood so you cut this type back to
the ground.

Lanuginosa - type which bloom on old wood.  These type you just cut
back the dead wood not any living wood.   Cutting this one back to
the ground will not kill it but it will not get as many blooms nor
get as big as you want it to. 

If anyone has any other types let me know!

---

From: [email-masked] (DavidR2441)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 22:01:46 -0500

There are 3 types of clematis, as I recall from an article I read in Fine
Gardening magazine sometime in the last couple of years.  I've loaned that
particular issue to a friend, so cannot elaborate, sorry!  I know the
article was written by a woman who grows and sells clematis from Ipswich,
MA, -- The Compleat Garden Clematis Nursery, 217 Argilla Rd., Ipswich, MA,
01938-2614.

---

From: [email-masked] (CLNichols)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 08:25:52 -0500

[email-masked] (DavidR2441) said:

>particular issue to a friend, so cannot elaborate, sorry!  I know the....

Wayside Gardens says about the culture of clematis:

"For pruning purposes, clematis can be divided into 3 groups.  Group I
blooms in the spring and, when shaping is desired, should be cut back
after bloom.  Group II blooms in early summer and, if shaping is desired,
should be cut back 6 to 8 inches to a pair of strong buds in March.  Group
III blooms during summer and fall.  These should be pruned yearly in March
to 12 inches from the ground.  Groups I and II may seldom need pruning,
however group III should be pruned yearly for best performances."

Wayside conveniently lists the group each of their clematis belongs in. 
Unfortunately many other suppliers do not.

Cindy
Indianapolis, zone 5

And so it grows.