Subject: Re: How high to raise bamboo for safe containment?

From: [email-masked] (Rob Gould)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 06:00:20 GMT

>At least how high should the soil line of the planter be above the normal
>ground level?
>
>The planter's sides will be stone, should I isolate the soil from the 
>ground too?
>
>Thanks!

 Edward,

I assume you are worried about losing control of bamboo.
 I have just discovered there is a new non-running variety
 of bamboo called Blue Fountain  (Sinarundinaria nitida)
 that ease your mind about bamboo.

Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Debbie DeNeese)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 21:26:07 -1812

In article
<[email-masked]>, helen
ruth etters <[email-masked]> wrote:

  > Will it grow in Zone 7? (North Carolina)

How 'bout Zone 10?  (South Florida)...and where does one obtain it?

---------= http://inca.gate.net:80/~d_swartz/ =--------------
 Debbie DeNeese                     Email:  [email-masked]
 Neurodisc Records, Inc.            (finger for pgp public key)             
 450 N. Park Road  Suite 700             (305) 963-0555 [voice]
 Hollywood, FL   33021                   (305) 964-1117 [fax]

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Cheung)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 13:35:55 GMT

>Will it grow in Zone 7? (North Carolina)

I originally started this thread a few weeks ago.  Since then I have gotten
a few catalogs on bamboo, and a mini education.

>From what I can tell, if you want a clumping bamboo that is winter hardy
(to me that is zone 6) you generally want to go with Fargesias.  Unfortunately
for me, they are supposed to like some shade and also grow slowly.  This latter
trait makes them a little more expensive than others.

In the end I decided on a Phyllostachys decora due to my sun exposure (full),
and winter conditions (zone 6).  They will be in a 2 foot high planter for
containment (per recommendations from people participating in this thread).

+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|          Edward Cheung, Ph.D.         |  The opinions expressed herein    |
|Satellite Servicing Robotics Laboratory|    do not necessarily reflect     |
|    NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   |       those of my employers'      |
|         Code 714.1, Bldg T11B         |                                   |
|          Greenbelt, MD 20771          |                                   |
|   301-286-1269(office) 286-1717(fax)  |  My next book:                    |
| Internet: [email-masked] | Statistics, Demos and Other Lies  |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Debbie DeNeese)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 21:26:07 -1812

In article

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Cheung)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 13:35:55 GMT