Subject: Aging horse manure to perfection

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Mar 95 14:56:22 EST

I have read many different opinions regarding the length of time horse manure
must "age" before it can be used for compost. Can anyone bottom line this for
me. I have horses and have a manure pile that I started in November. Is the
stuff from November ready? Is "straight" manure (no shavings) better? I read
the urine and the bedding is also good stuff. Theres a local nursery that will
take it all away soon, so I want to know what (if any of it) I should save.
Thanks in advance. 
           
Denise Ryder
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 19:30:12 -0500

Hi...

I think the key is the degree of decomposition, rather than a particular
amount of time.  For adding to garden beds in which you will immediately
plant, you ought to have manure that has decomposed fairly well.  Well
decomposed manure will be dark, crumbly, and neutral-smelling (earthy
smell).  Identifiable chunks of manure won't be very prevalent.

In a cold winter climate, a pile started in November will not likely be
done by now, unless it has been very well insulated so that it can stay
warm.  In warmer regions (coastal California, for instance), it's possible
that the manure could be in good enough shape to apply to beds.

Decomposition doesn't occur quickly in even the best weather if the
following conditions aren't met....

1.  the manure should be moistened (garden hose, etc.).  Ideally it will
be the just-moist consistency of a wrung-out sponge.

2.  the manure needs air.  If the pile is sealed up in plastic, for
instance, the decomposition rate is seriously slowed, and you may end up
with stinky anaerobic compost that needs to air out for a while longer
before use.

A pile I started in August in Colorado is nearly done, thanks to a warm
Fall, mild winter, and an abundance of redworms that I added after the
pile had cooled down a bit.  Those redworms really accelerate the
decomposition process!

Good luck,
Eric Johnson