Subject: digging up grass-bound pl

From: [email-masked] (Werner Stern)
Date: 12 Mar 95 22:40:00 GMT

TO: [email-masked]

K>.@N FROM   :[email-masked]
K>.@N MSGID  :<[email-masked]>
K>N Path:
K>uupsi!psinntp!cmcl2!panix!bloom-
beacon.mit.edu!gatech!swrinde!cs.utexa
K>s.edu!news.sprintlink.ne From: [email-masked]
K>Newsgroups: rec.gardens
K>Subject: digging up grass-bound plants
K>Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 17:36:08
K>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

K>I have a clematis growing on a fence. Grass has moved in completely
K>around the  base of the plant, which is not all that old (maybe 5
K>years). Is it wise to  dig it up so I can make a little bed for it,
K>or should I just leave it alone?  If I dig, how do I do so without
K>damaging the roots? Any other options?  Thanks much!

One of the most important things about growing clematis is to keep the
roots cool, so, having another plant growing over the root area is 
perfect. I grow my plants intermixed with shrubs and they grow through
them. When you start a clematis all the manuals advise to cover the 
root area with stone to keep the sun off. You're doing fine.

Regards

Werner

Internet Addr: [email-masked]