Subject: Re: Small Fruit Trees??

From: [email-masked] (Fimble)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 21:37:19 -0500

I'm not sure this is the right place for my query, but... I'm looking for
a low impact way of protecting my fruit trees from insect damage - apples,
peaches & plums. The yard is filled with birds, so their well being is
crucial. Any suggestions? Short lived chemicals is a last resort, I pride
myself in being an organic gardener. I'm tied of working so hard for the
meek.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 23:47:38 -0400

[email-masked] responding to  [email-masked] (Fimble)
>>A last resort in some commercial growing areas is to put fine netting 
around the trees, doesn't look good, but if the insects are a problem 
might be necessary. Worst case spraying a liquid systemic insect 
killer might be necessary. This would be absorbed through the roots 
and leaves and not be a problem in the air. 

   Please note that you should never spray insecticides during fruit
bloom, as you will kill your pollinators.  This would be a label violation
as well.
Using a systemic poison during bloom would be a worst case scenario, as
the nectar would be poisoned. There was a problem with this in commercial
orange groves until the label on the systemic was changed to  prohibit use
during bloom.

   If you get control prior to bloom, you'll be in much better shape for
the rest of the season.  Then wait until no bees are visiting bloom for
petal fall sprays.  Some "authorities" recommend petal fall sprays at 75%
petal fall, which is a recommendation of pesticide MISuse.

[email-masked]                               Dave Green
PO Box 1215, Hemingway, SC   29554

---

From: [email-masked] (Werner Stern)
Date: 9 Apr 95 19:31:00 GMT

TO: [email-masked]

FROM: [email-masked]

F>.@SUBJECT:Re: Small Fruit Trees??
F>.@N FROM   :[email-masked]
F>.@N MSGID  :<[email-masked]>
F>N Path:
F>uupsi!psinntp!news.intercon.com!uhog.mit.edu!news.kei.com!newshost.m
ar
F>cam.com!zip.eecs.umich.e From: [email-masked] (Fimble)
F>Newsgroups: rec.gardens
F>Subject: Re: Small Fruit Trees??
F>Date: 25 Mar 1995 21:37:19 -0500
F>Sender: [email-masked]
F>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
F>Reply-To: [email-masked] (Fimble)

F>I'm not sure this is the right place for my query, but... I'm
F>looking for a low impact way of protecting my fruit trees from
F>insect damage - apples, peaches & plums. The yard is filled with
F>birds, so their well being is crucial. Any suggestions? Short lived
F>chemicals is a last resort, I pride myself in being an organic
F>gardener. I'm tied of working so hard for the meek.

I'm both a birder and a gardener. My first concern is the birds and I 
avoid using any chemicals in the yard. I have a small city lot no real 
size. My recommendation is if you are going to spray the trees do so 
before the birds arrive, the so called dormant sprays. If the insects 
are a problem then try to attract insect eating birds, again I would 
check with a local arboretum or birding group. They will have 
recommendations for your area.

Regards,

Werner

Internet Addr: [email-masked]