Subject: Herbs that grow in shade

From: [email-masked] (Maryanne Todd)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 01:39:14 GMT

We are the brand new owners of a house with a garden - absolute bliss
after a flat with a balcony!  In the back garden is this marvellous 
piece of ground about 4 1/2 metres diameter sorrounded by bluestone -
a rim and wall, meaning the entire region is about 15cm sunken.  This
would make a perfect circular herb garden.  I've had my eye on it for
this ever since we first saw the place.

Unfortunately, I've discovered it actually gets very little direct
sunlight each day - about 1 hour direct, about 5 hours filtered (through
the leaves of a silky oak) and the rest of the time rather dense shade.
I'm not getting rid of the silky oak - a beautiful tree! - so, the
question is - do any herbs grow well in shade, and if so, which ones!

A list of herbs that are shade lovers or shade tolerant would be greatly
appreciated.  Any herb list would be appreciated, and if it isn't
suited to our area I can find out.  I'm in Melbourne, Australia, so
please don't ask me for my zone, we don't have any!

Much thanks                 Maryanne     ([email-masked])
.

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Fletcher)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 14:25:05 GMT

Maryanne Todd ([email-masked]) wrote:
: A list of herbs that are shade lovers or shade tolerant would be greatly
: appreciated.  Any herb list would be appreciated, and if it isn't
: suited to our area I can find out.  I'm in Melbourne, Australia, so
: please don't ask me for my zone, we don't have any!

Sadly, most common herbs are of Mediterranean origin and will be 
disappointing if grown in anything less than full sun. 

If you can redirect your ambitions, though, it sounds like you have a 
lovely spot for a shade garden - and there are LOTS of wonderful plants 
to choose from for that.

Karen Fletcher                                     [email-masked]
==========================================================================
The Garden Gate            http://www.prairienet.org/ag/garden/homepage.htm
The Garden Gate at SunSITE  http://sunsite.unc.edu/garden-gate/homepage.htm
The Garden Spider's Web    http://mirror.wwa.com/mirror/garden/spdrsweb.htm

---

From: [email-masked] (Wendy Taylor)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 12:38:34 -0500

>Unfortunately, I've discovered it actually gets very little direct
sunlight  
>each day - about 1 hour direct, about 5 hours filtered (through the leaves
of a  
>silky oak) and the rest of the time rather dense shade. I'm not getting
rid of  
>the silky oak - a beautiful tree! - so, the question is - do any herbs
grow  
>well in shade, and if so, which ones! 
> 
>appreciated.  Any herb list would be appreciated, 
 
Don't give up on your dream! 
 
Two herbs that should thrive in the conditions you describe are 
sweet woodruff and lungwort. Both like shade and moist soil. 
 
Some other shade tolerant herbs that you could try in brighter 
parts of the garden include: 
     Angelica           Chervil             Ginseng 
     Sweet Cicily      Sweet Violets    Scented Geraniums 
     Most members of the Mint family (invasive) 
 
Perhaps you could trim some of the branches on the silky oak 
tree to thin it out a little and let in more light?  :-) 
-- 
Wendy                  |Free email herb plant & 
Harbor View Garden Co. |seed catalog available  
[email-masked]  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:26:50 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Nita
Richard) wrote:

> Parsley does fairly well in partial shade. 

i've had great luck with woodruff in the shade. feverfew will tolerate (and
perhaps not spread as much).

-- 
there is no sign of warning in the sirens call
welcome, we are the lamia  -- genesis

sonny hays-eberts
[email-masked]

---

From: James Michael Kocher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 16:20:16 -0500

Also remember:  When planting in shade, give plants more room, to
increase the available light.  Do not plant them as close together as
you might in sunnier locations.

---

From: [email-masked] (Calendula7)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 19:15:20 -0500

>>well in shade, and if so, which ones! 

sweet woodruff, motherwort, comfrey will tolerate shade, foxglove seems to
tolerate some shade also
Sharon Lee

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Nita Richard)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 13:01:23 -0500

>>well in shade, and if so, which ones! 

Parsley does fairly well in partial shade.  I planted some last year
in the Atlanta Georgia area in a spot that gets about 4 or so hours
of sun a day and it thrived. In fact it even made it through the 
winter...I've had fresh parsley (Italian variety) all winter, and I'm
still harvesting it.

-- 
Nita Richard 
Georgia Institute of Technology, "Home of the 1996 Olympic Village"             Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0181
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!nr5
Internet: [email-masked] (404)853-0050

---

From: Wayne Weichel <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 15:59:35 GMT

[email-masked] (Conrad Richter) wrote:
 There are quite a few medicinal herbs that grow in shade, so if those
> herbs are of interest, I can post a listing.  
> 

Please do.

Thanks,

Wayne Weichel

---

From: Wayne Weichel <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 15:59:35 GMT

[email-masked] (Conrad Richter) wrote:

Please do.

Thanks,

Wayne Weichel