Subject: Daffodils

From: Neil McLaughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Apr 1995 07:15:35 GMT

My girlfriend was wondering if you cut the a flower off a daffodil will
it  *ever* have flowers again? Her sister-in-law told her no, and she
wants to know is that true?
Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 16:27:57 -0400

I cut bouquets from my daffodils all the time.  No problem.  I think maybe
your friend was referring to cutting the leaves.  The previous writer was
right.  You have to let the leaves stay until they turn brown and wither. 
Then you can cut them off so they don't look unsightly in the garden. 
Have to let this happen or bulbs can't feed properly to be ready for next
year.

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Randall)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 04:20:04 GMT

Neil McLaughlin ([email-masked]) wrote:
: My girlfriend was wondering if you cut the a flower off a daffodil will
: it  *ever* have flowers again? Her sister-in-law told her no, and she
: wants to know is that true?
: Thanks

    Yes it WILL have flowers again! Just don't cut off the leaves. Let them
die back (turn brown/yellow) then you can cut them off. If they get too
crowded after a few years they~  will stop blooming. Just dig them up in the
fall, carefully break off the baby bulbs from the mothers and replant 6
inches apart. Fertilize in the spring when you see them starting to come up
through the soil. 

Tom

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 16:27:57 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Randall)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 04:20:04 GMT

Tom