Subject: Hanging basket question

From: [email-masked] (MMA)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 13:30:49 -0500

Before it gets to be growing season here, (I jealous of those of you who
already have flowers, but my early tulips have started to sprout) I
thought I would see if anyone has any advice about growing hanging baskets
outside. My "problem" seems to be that they grow too well!

They get pot-bound _very_ quickly. I can't afford to keep repotting them!
It seems to happen with every plant I have tried, if I don't repot them
every couple of weeks (2" larger pot) they get dry out too fast, etc. Full
sun, southern exposure, back yard. Please help! Thank you.

Missy Allemang             [email-masked]
Butternut Ski Repair       Gt. Barrington, MA USA
Ski Mechanics Workshop     Underhill Ctr., VT USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 12:50:58 GMT

>Ski Mechanics Workshop     Underhill Ctr., VT USA

Put fewer plants into a larger pot to start with.  For the drying-out
problem, put the hanging basket in a 1-2 inch deep tray, and keep
it filled with water.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 95 20:30:54 PDT

I have several hanging baskets, some with moss linings and some plastic.  The 
best way to water them is to dunk them into a garbage can full of water and 
let them sit there for 15 or 20 minutes.  This way you can be sure they are 
wet all the way through, and the moss lining the basket is also wet.  I see 
nurseries water their hanging baskets this way too.

---

From: [email-masked] (APepera)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 14:32:33 -0400

Missy,

One suggestion for your hanging baskets... if you use a large wire basket,
you can line it with moss (the dried variety that you can get at garden
stores). Layer the moss about three inches deep (it'll be packed tight, so
kind of loosen it as you work with it) and set an old saucer in the
bottom, then add potting soil and your plants, etc...

The moss will help retain some moisture, but you'll still need to water
frequently, even once or twice a day (yup, you read that right)  during
really hot spells in the summer... however, you should be able to get
through the summer without having to repot the whole basket arrangement! 

Hope the suggestion helps!

Annie