Subject: Re: Dianthus - Common name?

From: "James Ware" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 09:48:56 CST

Scott,

You're obliviously a man after my own heart! I love Dianthus and use 
several differant varities in my own garden for a variety of useful roles. 
I've heard Dianthus refurred to as "Pinks" and I think they are related in 
some way to carnations. Although your seedlings won't bloom this year, they 
will the next. They make sturdy, durable sunloving groundcovers. I like to 
use them to fill in the gaps between other things. My favorites are the 
reds, maroons, whites and bicolors in that order. In my area, only the 
dianthus with leaves favoring the blue-green or gray tints will 
perennialize. The true greens will look good for a while but won't come 
back.

I grow alot of bearded Iris, hybrid yarrow, crocosmia, crinium and other 
deep South regional favorites. Dianthus makes a wonderfully useful 
"filler" plant and is tough enough to be dug up and moved if you want it 
elsewhere.

One of my favorite attractions in my yard is a small "hill-lette" topped 
with a flowering dogwood COVERED in red blooming dianthus. Both dogwood 
and dianthus are in full bloom now and are really stopping traffic! 

>S. Plunkett  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have planted some Dianthus from seed this spring, and the seedlings
>are doing wonderfully.  I picked it almost randomly from a selection
>of seed packets, and would like to know some more about it.
>=============================================================================
>Scott J. Plunkett:                                   [email-masked]
>=============================================================================

============================================================================
                                _______  
                               /       |
   James R. Ware              /        |
                             /         |   [email-masked]
   MS Dept. of Archives      |         |   
   Systems Administrator     \         |
   100 S. State St.           |        |   PHONE: (601) 359-6888     
   P.O. Box 571               /        |   FAX:   (601) 359-6905        
   Jackson, MS 39205-0571    /         |
                            |______    |   "We work our computers until
                                  /    |    they die. Then we put in a new
                                  \____|    motherboard."
============================================================================