Subject: Mole attack ?

From: [email-masked] (J�lio Quadros)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 14:50:52 GMT

Hi everybody !

In the last couple of weeks my garden has turned a bunch of small 
mountains and I believe plants are being damaged because of a mole 
attack! I think the whole family is really enjoying the place which on 
one hand flatters me but on the other hand, gets on my nerves.
The idea of fighting back with chemicals and pesticides is completely out 
of question.

Are there any of you with a previous experience on this subject ?
How did you (if you did) get rid of those animals ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Julio

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:01:01 GMT

>Any help would be much appreciated

Well, I use poison; but my grandfather always swore by a
roller.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy D. Buckley)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 22:37:12 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> How did you (if you did) get rid of those animals ?

I've had similar problems.  My only success so far is with a device called
the Nash mole trap.  It works on a similar principal as the spear-type
trap mentioned by a previous poster, but instead of blades that spring
down, it's got wire loops that spring up.   In order for the trap to be
effective, you need to be able to locate an active tunnel near the
surface.  This has been a little difficult for me, since my lawn is so
chewed up it's hard to tell which tunnels/mounds are active.  The trap is
also a little difficult to set, but not too bad, once you get the hang of
it.  I did trap a mole the first night I set the trap, and haven't seen
any fresh damage since.

>From what I've read, moles are very territorial, and one or two may defend
a pretty large area.  Of course, it often doesn't take long after you get
rid of them for others to move into their tunnels.  Next time they come,
at least I'll be prepared.   

I have not heard any positive results from windmills, solar powered
vibrators, or other "deterrants".  Eliminating the grubs is a good idea,
but moles also eat earthworms.  Some people have suggested Juicy Fruit
chewing gum, which the rodents evidently can't resist and is supposed to
"gum" up their digestive tracts.  I'm skeptical.  The Nash trap is the
only thing that's worked for me.  I got mine from Mellinger's for $14.95. 
I've also seen it in Henry Field's and a few other catalogs.  You might
check around at  garden centers and nurseries in your area.

-- 
Jeremy Buckley                               [email-masked]
BTG, Inc., Vienna, VA                        (703) 734-6863

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:01:01 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy D. Buckley)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 22:37:12 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Gentle)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 20:15:24 GMT

I know of several things that might help.

First, moles don't care for ground vibrations.  Sometimes putting up
those little windmills that look like sunflowers will vibrate the
ground enough to drive them out.

Second, they don't like the smell of mothballs.  Try poking some
mothballs down into their tunnels.

Third, a roller to flatten the tunnels.

Finally, there is such a thing as a mole trap.  I worked in a
hardware store when I was in high school and we actually sold them.
Here's how they work.  First you step on their tunnel and make a flat
area.  The trap fits down over the flat area.  When the mole comes
through and begins re-digging that spot, the trap is triggered and sharp
spikes are forced down into the tunnel, killing the mole.  I don't
remember how much they sold for, it seems like they were around
$20.  Haven't seen one in quite a while.

Chris
<[email-masked]>