Subject: Re: How to get ride of Cactus?

From: [email-masked] (Harold Slater)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 01:51:29 GMT

Alinda Privitt ([email-masked]) wrote:
: We are currently looking to purchase property in Central Texas along
: the I-35 corridor.  A great deal of the land to the west of the highway
: supports a large population of cactus (cacti?).  Is there anyway to 
: permanently remove cactus from the landscape.  I know if you just knock
: them over they will grow back.  Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

: Alinda

Why don't you offer them "free for the taking". Cactus habitat is getting
scarce (or will) and native cacti need all the help they can get. I'm sure
there are lots of cactiphiles who would love to dig up large specimens for
free!

Harold

---

From: [email-masked] (Alinda Privitt)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 22:11:16 GMT

We are currently looking to purchase property in Central Texas along
the I-35 corridor.  A great deal of the land to the west of the highway
supports a large population of cactus (cacti?).  Is there anyway to 
permanently remove cactus from the landscape.  I know if you just knock
them over they will grow back.  Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Alinda

A

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:21:04 GMT

>them over they will grow back.  Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

If you can get a burn permit, burning off the land can work.  Otherwise,
dig them up; their root systems are (mostly) fairly shallow.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Harold Slater)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 01:51:29 GMT

: Alinda

Harold

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:21:04 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:21:04 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 23:02:35 -0500

There is no scarcity of habitat for Opuntia engelmannii!  The fruit is quite
edible though seedy, and makes excellent jelly.  The flower petals are edible
too.  Maybe you should start a cactus jelly business instead of getting rid
of them.

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 23:02:35 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 23:02:35 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 23:02:35 -0500