Subject: Re: Veggie gardens

From: mark <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 1995 04:53:38 GMT

[email-masked] (Guru C Prakash) wrote:
>
> 
> Hi all:
> Wanted to report on the status of a veggie garden i started 3 weeks
> ago and ask  for suggestions for more bountiful growth. All plants
> were started from seed and included - white icicle radish, okra, 
> snowball(early) cauliflower and Japanese eggplant.
> I planted the radish and okra out in pots 8" deep 2 weeks and 2 days ago.
> All were germinated indoors in a greenhouse flat.
> Today's status:
> Radish: 3-4" in height. Some have sprouted their real leaves. Stems
> are reddish purple. 
> Okra: 1-2". No real leaves yet.
> Cauli: 2", very spindly and still in the flat.
> eggplant: 1" in height in flat.
> 
> Fertilizer: Inorganic (20-27-5) granules and organic (fish emulsion)
> 
> I wish i could make them grow faster. Any suggestions?
> 
> 
> I live in the MD area.
> 
> Phani
> 
> 
> 
I don't know what your weather has been like but here in the Pacific
Northwest it has still been frosting at night which can slow growth 
a little.  You could cover the plants with a crop cover like Reemay 
which does not even need any support, just lay it over the row of 
plants and secure it on the sides so it doesn't blow away.  You can 
leave it on the plants at all times because the light and water pass
through the material. 
  You can also cover individual plants with something like a 2-liter
plastic pop bottle with a few small ventilation holes cut into it.
  Hope this helps!
  ~Laura
   zone 8

---

From: [email-masked] (Guru C Prakash)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 11:37:26 -0500

Hi all:

I live in the MD area.

Phani

---

From: [email-masked] (Susan Ives)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 21:40:35 -0600 (CST)

>I live in the MD area.

I think you might be a little early with the eggplant and the okra.
Here in South Central Texas (the lower part of zone 8; we've had one
day in the 90s already) I won't put the eggplant out until next week
or so, and the okra doesn't go in until the end of the month.  Unless
you have them in some sort of cold frame I don't think they'll really
take off  until the warmer weather arrives.