Subject: Re: Bamboo Shoots-edible?

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:05:26 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Susan Battle" writes:

> Does anyone know if all bamboo shoots are edible. Or how you can tell 
> which ones are? Also, and most important, how do you pick and prepare 
> them (how long should the shoot be that you pick and what to do before 
> cooking)

The bamboo shoot is edible after careful soaking and boiling pretreatment 
to remove the *cyanide* from it. Check carefully for instructions about
how to cook it safely. Some species may have rather high levels of toxins.
Shoots for eating are cut when about 6" long and 3-4" diameter.
Don't eat it unless you find an accurate reference on how to cook it!!

Sorry I don't know how you cook it safely. Boil in open pan I think?
Hope this helps.

Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:05:26 +0000

Regards,