Subject: plants for dry shade - please comment on

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 1995 17:44:55 GMT

Below is a list I have composed for flowers/plants that supposedly
do well in dry shade.  I have had problems locating and seeing
what these plants are like.  If someone could also list seed/plant
sources for these it would be appreciated.  Most local garden
centers carry popular plants but ask for something different and
they just stare at you!!!  The locals carry stock but not night
stock!!!  

shrimp plants - acanthaceae/justicia brandegeana/j. tomentosa - I
planted these last year and was told they need full sun they did
not do anything they basically sat there.

Mexican petunia - ruellia malacosperma/r brittoniana(katy)

siberia carpet cypress - microbiota decussata 

soapwort - saponaria officinalis

turks cap - malvaviscus drummondii

rock rose - pavonia lasiopetala

salvias - salvia regla/salvia coccinea comment was that various
ones do well.  Is the above strain the ones that do well in the
shade??? 

canyon sage - sage lycioides

mexican oregano - poliomintha longiflora

Yellow flowered columbines - aquilegia longissima and a.
hinckleyana - a. canadensis

falsw gromwells - onosmodium bejarense - o. helleri

Comfrey - symphytum officinale

texas asters - aster texanus

frost weed - verbesina virginica 

Any help as to type of plant - what catalogs carry them comments,
suggestions, when to plant etc etc etc ..   would be appreciated.  
Plus any help on other plants that are dry shade plants would be
helpful!!!!