Subject: Re: Here a chick, there a chick

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:47:33 -0700

This is the first year in several that we haven't bought or 
raised baby chicks and ducklings, although one of our bantams has hatched 
5 and 4 have survived so far.
	We have successfully raised large groups of birds in refrigerator 
cartons using wood shavings as litter. On a small scale, a TV carto would 
probably work fine. We cut one side as the top and suspend a heat lamp 
(250 watts) from a curtain rod. since we have cats, we also have a screen 
covered piece of concrete reinforcing wire. If the temperature is right, 
the birds will roam freely in the box, eating and making a mess. You can 
put water at one end and feed at the other. If it is too hot, the birds 
will stay as far away as they can from the light. If it is too cold, they 
will huddle together beneath the light. You can raise or lower the light 
to meet the birds needs.The waterer will probably 
have to be put above the shavings on a block or the shavings will clog 
the waterer. For a couple of small birds, a quart waterer is OK, but you 
could go ahead and buy the larger gallon plastic waterer. Feed can go 
into almost any bowl. 

	When the birds are fully feathered and strong, hopefully the 
temperature will be warm enough to put them outside.
	Free ranging chickens spread the fertilizer around and it will be 
difficult to see. The best function they provide is scratching for grubs 
and small insects yu never see. Now if you can train them to leave 
beneficials alone, you will have something.
Bruce Moon
Rio Linda, 
ca

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:48:38 -0700

Oh, yeah... misc.rural is the best place.
Bruce Moon
Rio Linda, CA

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Apr 1995 14:33:18 -0500

Hi everyone, I'm not too sure if this entirely appropriate to
rec.gardens, if there is a better spot please direct me to it (and I'm
sure someone will).
My son was hatching chicks in school as a science project. He becane
very attached to them, and at the end of the project, he couldn't bear
to let them go. So he brought them home, and now I have 2 chicks in a
laundry basket in my living room.
I am totally CLUELESS as to what to do with them, but as a gardener,
you know one of my first thoughts was "compost".
Any advice on raising chickens would be gratefully received. Thanks,
JoAnn.   [email-masked]
     P.S. We are in Western Pennsylvania, it's still in the 40's here,
so it's too cold to put them outside. We have a 1/2 acre yard,
bordering on woods. And a German Shepherd who is taking what seems to
be an unhealthy interest in the chicks.

---

From: [email-masked] (go-man)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 17:33:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

> now I have 2 chicks in a

I have kind of a similar story -- we started with three chicks, bantams,
although one turned out to be a rooster, whcih we gave away (too noisy).
I'm not sure what kind you have, but our bantam cochin and silky are
extremely tame and friendly -- like little dogs. We get a lot of enjoyment
out of them, not to mention fresh eggs. We live in the city (San Diego),
so we have a little fenced area for them, but they also run around the
backyard freely. Beware, they love to scratch in flower beds and make
dusting holes, so delicate plants aren't a good idea. As for compost, I
have heard their droppings added directly might have too much acid -- I'm
not sure if a pile needs to sit for a while to decompose a bit. I don't
collect the droppings, though, most of it collects in their pen and just
decomposes.

We have a dog and cat who tolerate the chickens, too. After initial
wariness, they all seem to just tolerate one another, although the cat
still likes to pretend it's hunting them, but never does anything, and the
dog is quite jealous of them...

They can be fun if they're not too ornery -- but they can get messy...

Inigo

-- 
"The little man knows all ..."

---

From: AJD <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 22:21:53 GMT

Most important -- keep them warm.  You can rig up a lightbulb over whatever kind 
of container you have them in.  That will work.  Go to a feedstore for some 
chicken mash (that's their food). As they get older and it gets wamer, you can 
move them outside into a better pen to protect them from the dog.  Or, if one is 
a rooster, you may not have to worry about them taking care of themselves-- 
they're mean.  Anyway, I'm sure you can find a local feedstore and they can 
answer all your questions.

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes: 
>
>be an unhealthy interest in the chicks.>

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:40:20 GMT

>be an unhealthy interest in the chicks.

First, you had better find out if you are zoned for keeping of domestic
livestock.  Then, as soon as the weather is warm enough (consistently
above freezing) turn the chickens loose to forage in the back yard.
Build them a hutch.  Some mixed oats and cracked corn will be
appreciated.  BTW, what are you going to do if he managed to acquire
one of each sex, and they go into production?

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:47:33 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:48:38 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (go-man)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 17:33:12 GMT

Inigo

---

From: AJD <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 22:21:53 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:40:20 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:47:33 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:48:38 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (go-man)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 17:33:12 GMT

Inigo

---

From: AJD <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 22:21:53 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:40:20 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Sheryl Todd)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 05:23:43 GMT

We also have two chickens in the back yard. Actually, they are adult hens,
 and we got them as adults. The two dogs only chase them a little and all 
seem to get along. They really are entertaining, plus they are always 
eating bugs and (I hope) weed seeds. There is a small fence keeping the 
dogs and chickens out of the veggie area (last year the chickens got in 
once and sat all the onions flat!) Also last year I planted summer-squash 
(the flying-saucer-looking ones) in an area where the chickens and dogs 
COULD get to it, and they weren't attracted to it. That's the only squash 
in the yard that didn't get squash bugs - a bad problem here. I attribute 
that to the chickens. And yes, the eggs are a side benefit! Oh, another 
plant I found that they didn't eat was snapdragons.

Sheryl in CO

---

From: [email-masked] (Sheryl Todd)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 05:23:43 GMT

Sheryl in CO

---

From: [email-masked] (Sheryl Todd)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 05:23:43 GMT

Sheryl in CO