Subject: Help - Violets

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 95 12:35:00

I like violets, but when they are growing in the middle of my lawn, I
DON'T LIKE VIOLETS!  I'm not handy with a shovel (I tend to dig deep
holes!) so I'm afraid to dig them out.  I've tried hand weeding them and
that didn't work.  Any ideas how to get rid of violets before I do some
violence to my lawn!  (I wish they were in a flower bed because they ARE
gorgeous, but I've got about 4 spots approaching 3 feet in diameter
filled with 'em.!)

Ruth
     __             ___        __
__  ////\  /\/\  /\/ _//\ __  /// | Anne McCaffrey: Master Word Crafter|
\\\//// '\/    \/ / /\/ '\\\\///  | Princess:  Cutest Wiggle Tail Ever!|
 \XX/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\__/\/\/ \XX/   | [email-masked] or [email-masked] |

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 12:57:05 GMT

> \XX/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\__/\/\/ \XX/   | [email-masked] or [email-masked] |

You can dig them out with a dandelion fork.  They keep coming
back because you haven't gotten the roots.

Of course, if you have patches that large, you might want to do a 
localized dig-out. (See if there is some insane person like me who 
likes violets, and will cheerfully do all the work just to get the plants.)  
Dig out the violets, replace the soil, seed with grass, cover with salt hay,
water.

Or, you can kill them by painting them with RoundUp.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (DTDerekson)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 00:57:15 -0500

I have had success with ortho weed-be-gone on small patches. I don't know
how well it would work on larger patches.