Subject: 'Tallhedge' (Rhamnus frangula 'Columnaris')??

From: [email-masked] (Kirby E. Tenhulzen)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 13:18:46

I am planning to use this shrub to create a visual barrier between my home and 
a commercial property next door.  I will be using 3 to 4 foot plants, spaced 4 
feet apart.  I live in southeastern Iowa, Zone 5.   I am interested in 
hearing from fellow gardeners who are familiar with tallhedge.  Everything 
I have read in the catalogs is glowing, as usual.  Are there any 
negatives?  Thanks.

Kirby Tenhulzen
Iowa City, IA

---

From: [email-masked] (erweaver)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 16:06:22 GMT

>I have read in the catalogs is glowing, as usual.  Are there any 

I have planted "Tallhedge" across the front of our property. It went in 
about 9yrs. ago. To date the results are mixed. Some have grown quite 
rapidly while others are still about 3" tall. This could be a problem
with my soil and what was buried in it before we owned the property.
It is also deciduous and in winter affords no visual barrier. I have
also found it to be quite brittle in the winter. You may have better 
luck than I. I have found Lleyland Cypress to be a much better choice.
It is almost as rapid a grower and is evergreen. I have had the best
results with the blue slightly weeping variety. I have 6 that were 
planted about 7 yrs. ago that started as 6 inch babies and are now 
about 18 feet. I did manage to have a discussion with a person on 
another venue about planting distance. She claimed you plant them 3'
apart, I was told by a man who specializes in them 6-8' apart. Looking 
at mine I wouldn't want them any closer than 6'. They would tend to 
damage each other. They are trees after all.
 
                                        Jennifer Weaver

---

From: [email-masked] (erweaver)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 16:06:22 GMT

Jennifer Weaver