Subject: TB iris

From: [email-masked] (Roderick McConchie)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 08:20:53 GMT

How severe a winter will TB iris tolerate? Whgich varieties are best in
conditions which can drop to -25? Thanks, Rod McConchie.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Wilson)
Date: 1 Apr 95 23:30:31 -0500

> conditions which can drop to -25? Thanks, Rod McConchie.
**
That is not unreasonable for many bearded irises.  In general, more
damage is done by repeated freeze/thaw cycles than by low temperatures.
However, those in cold areas do often make a practice of mounding the
soil up over the rhizomes in the fall and uncovering them in the spring,
so as to provide some protection.  Any other growers in your area might
have the best advice as to which varieties do well.

Another iris you might try is I. setosa.  It's beardless, but naturally
adapted to near-arctic as well as temperate conditions.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Wilson)
Date: 1 Apr 95 23:30:31 -0500

**

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Wilson)
Date: 1 Apr 95 23:30:31 -0500

**