Subject: Can't plant!!???

From: [email-masked] (Don R. Stephens)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 15:31:47 PST

Hi folks,
I am in the South San Fransico Bay Area. 
temperature usually warm (?zone 15?). My problem is that I usually start
my seeds in February in a wee little hot house. I did so this year. The
seeds have sprouted and growing superbly well. the tomatoes are up about
3 inches, the beans 8 or 10 inches, lettuce up maybe 5 inches, so far so
good. HOWEVER, I have a problem; I haven't been able to rototill the ground
and so the beds aren't made, the drip system isn't in!!!!, all because
of the continuous rains.  
What are your recommendations, junk everything and start all over?, hold
my seedlings as long as possible and maybe - feed them????.
Help gratefully accepted.
Don

-------------------------------------
Don R. Stephens				[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kemp)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 08:45:03 -0800

>Help gratefully accepted.

The beans may be a problem -- they can't stay in pots too long.  I always 
start them in the ground.  The tomatos should be okay, though.  3 inches 
isn't very big, yet.  If they outgrow their pots, just transplant them 
into larger pots.  If they get leggy, just strip off the bottom leaves 
and plant them deep. 
Give them enough weak fertilizer to keep them growing, but not too much.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Kemp)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 08:45:03 -0800