Subject: Troy-bilt wide cut mower vs. rider?

From: [email-masked] (CLNichols)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 21:57:09 -0500

My husband and I are deciding between a wide-cut walk behind mower and a
riding mower for our new home.  We have about 1/3 acre of lawn (much of it
sloped) and are attracted to an ad for a Troy-bilt Wide-Cut Mower - a walk
behind style mower.  Features that are attractive to us are its greater
width than an ordinary mower, its greater maneuverability than a rider and
its smaller consumption of garage space.  We sent for literature just
yesterday so don't know its price, but we would like to know what others
think about the relative merits of this style of mower relative to a
rider, and this specific mower relative to others of its type.  

Cindy

---

From: [email-masked] (Pearce)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 10:23:36 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>rider, and this specific mower relative to others of its type.  

Well, now you've done it. You'll get Troy-bilt wide-cut mower junk
mail for the rest of you're life, whether you buy one or not.
I requested the information and price last year, I recall the price
was around $1300 - a little more than I wanted to pay to mow my yard.
Now I get inundated with junk mail from Troy-bilt about this and that
special offer for the wide-cut mower, e.g. we'll through one of these
and one of those if you buy the mower from us. I guess there not selling
as many as they expected. Also they offer financing at a not so great deal,
only $XX per month.

As a side note I also noticed that a local store was selling this mower,
and the local price was less than what Troy-bilt wanted for a direct sale.
I just had to ask when I saw it for sale locally :-)

Mike Pearce.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Offiler)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:44:20

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (CLNichols) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (CLNichols)
>Subject: Troy-bilt wide cut mower vs. rider?
>Date: 20 Mar 1995 21:57:09 -0500

>Cindy

You've listed some advantages of the mower over the rider, which I agree with.

How about the advantages of a rider over a mower?  More toward the "garden 
tractor" end of the spectrum, you've got a large choice of attachments 
available, such as snowthrowers, plows, rototillers, utility trailers, 
spreader, dethatchers, aerators,....  I bet the price of a Troy Bilt mower 
will purchase an excellent secondhand garden tractor, if you have any use for 
the accessories.  If not, sounds like you're probably busy selling yourself on 
the mower anyway.  IMHO Troy-Bilt in general makes top-shelf stuff.

Steve O.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pearce)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 10:23:36 -0500

Mike Pearce.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Offiler)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:44:20

Steve O.