Subject: Re: What to do w/ NE side of house?

From: [email-masked] (Linda M. French)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 23:25:19 GMT

[email-masked] (Theo D) wrote:

>Hello all. An amatuer gardener/landscaper here seeking assistance.

>I've got a patch of land, approx. 7x12 ft, on the NE side of my home
that
>needs sprucing up.

>I'm in zone 4-5, and would like to plant a mix of evergreen and
deciduous
>shrubs that grow to approx. 5' high. I was thinking of viburnum and some
>type of yew - but I'm not sure about compatability of the 2.

>I'd like some opinions from the experienced out there - What successes
>have you had with north facing plantings?

I made a really nice north-side path, almost by accident, in my old
garden.  The side next to the house had several "Nikko Blue" hydrangeas,
although now I would use lacecaps.  For perennials, I used aruncus
(goatsbeard)--looks like a giant astilbe 5' tall!, hostas of all colors,
astilbes, alchemilla (lady's mantle), and a low edging boxwood.  A
clematis "Nelly Moser" that was stuck in the ground temporarily decided
there was enough light and prospered.  It was really quite lovely!  I
have checked the zone information and most of these are claimed to be
hardy to zone 4.  Viburnums are wonderful plants--let us know what you 
decide to do.

Linda French
Westwood, MA
zone 6

---

From: [email-masked] (Enter Your Name Here)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:17:57

>Hello all. An amatuer gardener/landscaper here seeking assistance.

another amatuer seeking assisstance...

>I've got a patch of land, approx. 7x12 ft, on the NE side of my home that
>needs sprucing up.

i've got something slightly larger, that i want to put a veggie garden in.
i'm not sure what zone, but central new brunswick--warm summers, good water 
supply.

the house borders one side of this plot, (south) there is a row of lilacs on 
one narrow end, (west), rose bushes, chokecherries, lilacs, raspberries, 
rhubarb, asparagus and chives on the north.  
its very nice, but mowing is a real pain because the ground is so uneven.

what kind of veggies don't need massive amounts of sun?  or can i just expect 
them to grow slower?  i was thinking of lettuces, cauliflower, tomatoes, maybe 
corn.  
has anyone grown much in a fairly shaded spot?  it gets good sun in the 
morning, then cools off around noon.

many thanx, please e-mail to the address below.

mel aird

[email-masked]