Subject: Tulip leaf clipping?

From: [email-masked] (Glycett)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:54:21 -0400

Does anyone know about the necessity of clipping back tulip leaves?  Why,
how and when is this done?
   (My apologies if there is a faq on this, I'm new to this group as of 10
minutes ago.)

                       geo.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:06:48 GMT

>   (My apologies if there is a faq on this, I'm new to this group as of 10

Let the tulip leaves (deadhead the flowers) alone until they wither
naturally.  Then remove, or just let them rot in place.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 18:38:48 -0500

>    (My apologies if there is a faq on this, I'm new to this group as of 10
Welcome!  Stick around!

Don't clip back leaves on tulips, daffodils, or other plants that
are past flowering if you can possibly avoid it.  Those leaves are
busy photosynthesizing, making food so the bulbs can be replenished
for flowering next year.  Clip them back, and you starve the plant
to death.  In a couple of years, you get to go out and buy all new
bulbs all over again.

Learn to work those leaves into your landscape planning: they'll be
gone by about June anyhow.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 15:12:18 GMT

Do not cut the GREEN leaves off.  The tulip uses the leaves to
store energy into the bulb.  If you cut them off when green the
bulb will not get enough energy to grow next year.  Cut them when
they are brown and withered.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:06:48 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 18:38:48 -0500

Welcome!  Stick around!

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 15:12:18 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 15:12:18 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Martha Frost)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 21:32:36 PST

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Glycett) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Glycett)
>Subject: Tulip leaf clipping?
>Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:54:21 -0400

>                       geo.
This April issue of Horticulture discusses tulip leaves, trimming. I only 
noticed the comment that some people get dermatitis from the sap. I didnt know 
that this was a practise of tulip culture.
Regards, Martha
[email-masked]