Subject: New Homeowner Needs Advice

From: [email-masked] (Anthony James Lowery)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 22:48:25 -0600

Be very wary of designers who work strictly with one nursery.  Many times 
your plant selection is limited to what the nursery typically carries in 
stock. This is the reason you
get a "discount" on the design work. 

Also unless you and your wife are comfortable with design decisions and 
plant materials, I caution against checking out books from the library on 
landscape design and doing it yourself. Many times things that look good 
in a book or magazine turn out to be inappropiate or maintence nightmares 
for your particular site. I'm not saying don't look at books and 
magazines because they're great for ideas. I'm saying be careful about 
simply lifting an idea straight out and plopping it into the back yard.  

I suggest that you consider hiring a Landscape Architect (LA) licensed by 
the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA). Anyone can call 
him/herself a landscape designer. A licensed landscape architect has 
graduated from an nationally accreditated program, worked under an 
already licensed LA and has passed a licensing exam. 

I agree with a previous post that you should contact past clients and 
look over portfolios. You should also find out how the LA approaches the 
design process.  A good one will ask a lot of questions. Questions like 
what your hobbies are, how much and what type of entertaining  you do, 
what ammenties you'd like (pool, patio, etc.) and what a typical week is 
like for your family. A good LA will also consider your lot as a whole, 
how it fits into the neighborhood, the architectural style of the house, 
etc. All these factors will be weighed in during the design process.

If construction and installation costs are a factor (and when aren't 
they!), tell the LA that you want to see how the design would be 
implemented over time. Any good LA will be happy to help you decide what 
parts of the dAny good LA will be happy to help you decide what parts of 
the design should be started first and what can wait until next year or 
in five years. Also ask how long before you can expect a preliminary 
design. If the answer is "Tomorrow or the next day at the latest."  DON'T 
hired them. Theywhat can wait until next year or in five years. Also ask 
how long before you can expect a preliminary design. If the answer is 
"Tomorrow or the next day at the latest."  DON'T hired them. They have 
not taken the time to do a good job. 

An LA can help you make good decisions about your property by guiding 
your wants and needs with design principles. While the cost involved in 
hiring an LA may seem to be an unnessecary expense, you can spend alot of 
money on your landscape over the course of five to ten years.  Check the 
phone book for a licensed Landscape Architect.  Their name will be 
followed by ASLA. If you have trouble finding one in your area e-mail me 
and get some names of LA's in your area together for you.

Toney Lowery--A Landscape Architect (as soon as I finish my thesis, 
graduate, serve my apprenticeship and pass the two day test that 90% fail 
the first time out) 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Linda M. French)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 03:27:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Anthony James Lowery <[email-masked]> wrote:
[much deleted]
>him/herself a landscape designer. A licensed landscape architect has 
[much deleted]
> Also ask 

I agree with much of what Toney has written, but feel this part might be
a little unfair.  When getting started on my first garden, I consulted a
wonderful garden designer who was establishing her business.  Within 24
hours she had delivered a 15 page prospectus for the entire property, 
including sketches and ideas for completing the work in stages.  Even 
now I look back at that piece of work and wonder. I guess the moral is
don't dismiss quick work out of hand, without analyzing it.

Linda French
Westwood, MA
zone 6