Subject: Screen plantings suggestions?

From: [email-masked] (KLMF)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:42:32 -0400

I just bought a new house and we move in the first of May.  The house is a
year old and there is *no* landscaping in the front, which is a southern
exposure.   Would love some ideas for quick growing shade trees.   Also,
very important, on the west  side of the house the neighbors have a great
view of our back yard.   What do you recommend as a fast growing, tall
(20ft min at maturity) preferably evergreen plant to block the view?
Karen F.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:05:37 GMT

>(20ft min at maturity) preferably evergreen plant to block the view?

Poplars and birches grow rapidly; but also have short life spans.  Why
not plant a couple in the front yard, as well as some slower-growing
shade trees?  Then, when the poplars and birches are ready to be
removed, you will have full-grown, long-lived shade trees to replace
them.  You can do the same thing in back.  Plant a row of lombardy
poplars.  They will be 20 feet tall in 3 years.  Then plant a row of
spruces in front of them.  By the time the poplars die in 20 years or
so, the pines will be full grown.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] [Maura O'Neill]
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 06:19:23 GMT

where are you?
maura, zone 9-10, santa cruz county, california

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:05:37 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] [Maura O'Neill]
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 06:19:23 GMT

where are you?

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:05:37 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] [Maura O'Neill]
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 06:19:23 GMT

where are you?

---

From: [email-masked] (John C Pardon)
Date: 19 Apr 1995 12:54:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Christine Owens) writes:
|> In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (KLMF) writes: 
|> 
|> >
|> >I just bought a new house and we move in the first of May.  The house is a
|> >year old and there is *no* landscaping in the front, which is a southern
|> >exposure.   Would love some ideas for quick growing shade trees.   Also,
|> >very important, on the west  side of the house the neighbors have a great
|> >view of our back yard.   What do you recommend as a fast growing, tall
|> >(20ft min at maturity) preferably evergreen plant to block the view?
|> >Karen F.
|> > 
|> >

|> Poplars 
Stay away from Poplars *except* if they can be planted far from a home
and you don't mind voracious, sprouting surface roots! The wood is
susceptible to wind and ice damage which could carry over to your home
and the roots will suck the moisture from your soil! Agh!!! Consider
some nice deep rooted trees such as OAKS. I could suggest some varieties
if I knew your climate zone and location.  

|> and birches 
I'll agree with this one. 
If you don't mind surface roots, European Beech is rather fast growing
and provides tremendous shade. I also recommend thornless Moraine locust
tree.

|> grow rapidly; but also have short life spans.  Why
|> not plant a couple in the front yard, as well as some slower-growing
|> shade trees?  Then, when the poplars and birches are ready to be
|> removed, you will have full-grown, long-lived shade trees to replace
|> them.  You can do the same thing in back. 

Agreed. But not re. poplars. And many "hardwoods" are not that
slow-growing -- especially when they are properly cared for with regular
deep watering, soil preparation, fertilizer and protected. Keep a wide
ring of loosened soil around them so the roots can breath and take in
nutrients. Many trees planted from *seedlings* will outgrow larger
transplants because they put down deep *taproots* and don't rely on
twisted congested transplant rootballs. Oaks and Black Walnut trees
epitomize this situation. Red Oak, Burr Oak, Yellow Chestnut Oak,
Scarlet Oak are all good choices and often available from local Soil and
Water Conservation Service for vitually no cost. 

|> Plant a row of lombardy
|> poplars.  They will be 20 feet tall in 3 years.  Then plant a row of
|> spruces in front of them.  By the time the poplars die in 20 years or
|> so, the pines will be full grown.

Sounds OK if a bit sterile or monotonous. 
|> 
|> Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (John C Pardon)
Date: 19 Apr 1995 12:54:32 GMT

|> Poplars 

|> and birches