Subject: Re: Can Tomatoes Be Planted on he Same Spot

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Schimmel)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 02:14:21 GMT

It's better to move them, especialy after a few seasons. Aside from any
kinds of wilt that may be harbored in the soil, planting them in the
same spot each year will rob the soil of the same kinds of nutrients.
The usual advice is to follow them with legumes or potato (soil builders
or cleaners), then high nitrogen crops (lettuce/greens/spinach), then
high potassium users (root crops), followed by the high phosphorus ones
(tomatoes, squash, fruiting crops).

On the other hand, if it's working... For me, calculating crop rotation
helps on grey, cold January mornings (lots of drawings on scrap paper).

---

From: "Philip F. Wight" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 18:06:16 GMT

If you plow some manure into the plot, won't that replenish 
allthemisingnutrients?  If you apply a good balanced fertilizer during 
the growing period won't that also provide any missing nutrients?

Cheers,
Phil
----------------------
 Bruce 
Schimmel ([email-masked]) wrote:
: It's better to move them, especialy after a few seasons. Aside from any
: kinds of wilt that may be harbored in the soil, planting them in the
: same spot each year will rob the soil of the same kinds of nutrients.
: The usual advice is to follow them with legumes or potato (soil builders
: or cleaners), then high nitrogen crops (lettuce/greens/spinach), then
: high potassium users (root crops), followed by the high phosphorus ones
: (tomatoes, squash, fruiting crops).

: On the other hand, if it's working... For me, calculating crop rotation
: helps on grey, cold January mornings (lots of drawings on scrap paper).

---

From: "Philip F. Wight" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 18:06:16 GMT

Cheers,
Phil
----------------------
 Bruce