Subject: Re: Rooting hormones ? Why are certain ones "for pro. use only" ???

From: [email-masked] (Cathy E Beyer)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 00:03:56 GMT

Farooq Butt ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I would like to know where I can get hold of the real stuff.  I would 
: like my cuttings to get the best chance possible ! [the guy 
: mentioned HORMODIN ??] 

Hormodin II is being taken off the market.  Perhaps the best ever rooting 
product is a liquid called Dip-N-Grow.  It is sometimes available at 
local nurseries, and I believe Primary Products will be carrying it 
mail-order.  The cost ranges from $9-11 for a small bottle that lasts a 
long time.  I have bought one of those childrens medicine measurers that 
consists of a syringe and a special rubber stopper.  This enables me to 
accurately measure out 1/4 teaspoon of Dip-N-Grow to mix with 2 1/2 
teaspoons of warm water.  I put the solution in a used prescription 
bottle, dip cuttings for 3 - 10 seconds, then stick them in a rooting 
medium.  Solution should be thrown away after use.

My rose study group did an experiment on rooting last summer.  Rootone 
was only a little better than using nothing at all.  Hormodin II and 
Dip-M-Grow both had very good results.  The Dip-N-Grow cuttings, however, 
had slightly stronger roots with better branching.

Primary Products has many unusual items for rose growers.  They cater to 
the rosarian who has gone overboard, like those into showing or like 
those who get so carried away that they put lights in their basement to 
have roses during winter ;)

	Primary Products
	100E Tower Office Park
	Woburn, MA   01801

Best of luck with your propagating!

Cathy in MA z/5

P.S.  Anyone in the New England area who is interested in propagation of 
roses can attend a workshop at the New England Rose Society in August.