Subject: Early Spring Report: East Central Minnesota

From: [email-masked] (John Woodworth)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 07:48:23

Twin Cities Metro - USDA Zone 4

Right now the weather is highly variable: Sunday it was 64, this morning 5. 
Very high winds and dry conditions are fanning the seasonal grass fires in 
prarie and brushy areas. Most lakes are now free of ice, or will be within a 
week.

Migratory waterfowl and songbirds have returned. Raptors and wading birds are 
making their appearance. The swallows and martins should arrive by month's end.

What's blooming in our part of the world? I've noticed catkins on aspens and 
pussy willows. Maples (silver, red and boxelder) are ready to flower. Woodland 
perrenials are pushing through the leaf mold but none are flowering yet. And I 
saw a fully leafed American viburnum. This just made my day.

Lawns are still dormant. Bulbs (tulips, daffodils, crocus) are out of the 
ground and ready to burst into flower once the weather resumes its warmup. 
Magnolia buds are showing some pink at the seams. Coniferous evergreens have 
regained their summer color and their candles are starting to grow.

Oh, and the snowbirds are returning from their Arizonzan, Floridian and Texan 
feeding areas. Not a day goes by where I don't pass a (huge) RV lumbering 
along on the freeway. Grandpa and Grandma are back!

John

"Epater les bourgeois"