Subject: Perennials in Containers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 23:35:47 GMT

Relatively new rooftop gardener seeks advice on what perennials might
be happy in Zone 6 container garden... gotta be able to overwinter!

So far, cranesbill, achillea, nepeta, coreopsis seem to have lived through
two winters... but they need friends!

Thanks for your wisdom...

Nancy C.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:36:36 GMT

>Thanks for your wisdom...

Any kind of lilly should do well also.  Plus, if you are willing
to put in the effort, roses make lovely container plants; especially
when you train them into tree shapes.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:36:36 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Apr 95 12:58:11 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (TIGIBSON) writes:
> could someone please tell me how to overwinter perennials in containers
> (zone5)? i haven't found a book yet that deals with temp and light
> requirements specifically.

I've done it quite successfully in the northern parts of zone 5, by
digging a trench and putting the pots in there, and filling it up
with leaves, compost, and what-have-you.  Tender-er perennials got
overwintered in an unheated garage or in the basement.  No light
if possible... the object is to keep them dormant.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 13:07:02 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (TIGIBSON) writes: 

>ti
>tigibson

The basic problem is that their roots are likely to freeze and dry out.
I handle this problem by putting all my containerized plants on 
a corner of the patio, watering well, then covering the with a heap
of mulch -- that I also water well -- shortly after the frosts have
caused them to die off above ground.  Come spring, I excavate
them from the mulch, and they are just fine.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Apr 95 12:58:11 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 13:07:02 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Apr 95 12:58:11 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 13:07:02 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (TIGIBSON)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 01:00:52 -0400

tigibson