Subject: Clematis Problems, help!

From: [email-masked] (VS Studio)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 00:26:49 GMT

I have 4 clematis growing in close proximity. All have spurted 4 to 6 feet in
the last two months. Now 3 of them are showing pale white sections on their
formerly burgundy colored new wood, almost as if a vegetable peeler were
drawn down their length. In addition, one of these clematis has started
producing new branches that end as little stubs without leaves. This plant is
still growing but no longer looks as green as it did and is now not clinging
to the guidline it was growing along. Is this "Clematis Wilt"? What can be
done to treat whatever is afflicting these plants?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Apr 1995 00:58:28 GMT

Hi!

I just logged on to take up the question of Clematis Wilt.
What you are describing seems very different.  Clematis
Wilt as I have experienced it shows no signs until one day
all of a sudden all leaves and blooms on a specific vine
are hanging as if "the stem had popped out of the water vase".

The debate here has been whether or not Clematis Wilt
actually is a virus.  I want to know what you folks over in
the U.S. of A. know about Clematis Wilt.  

Sandra
Stockholm, Sweden

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Apr 1995 00:58:28 GMT

Hi!

Sandra
Stockholm, Sweden

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 17 Apr 1995 12:02:08 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

>...  Clematis
   I don't know if this will help, but I've not seen this disease down
here in sunny, hot, acid North Carolina.  Growing Clematis here is
something of a struggle, but none have died as aburptly as you describe.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney ---Opinions, just opinions---