Subject: Re: Alberta gardens

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Mar 1995 21:59:34 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] () writes:
>I have retired and am looking to upgrade my garden this year.  We have a 
>short hot growing season here in Alberta.  Are there any gardeners in 
>similar hot/cold zones where I could ask a question and receive advice.  I am 
>quite a novice apart from cutting grass and planting the occasional bedding 
>plant.  
>Perhaps there are books the more experienced gardener could 
>recommend.  Hope you can help me...I feel spring in the air already 
>despite the fact the temperature this morning is minus 20 degrees Centigrade!
>
>Hi Ted!  There are a series of books put out about gardening in the Prairies here
in Alberta that are excellent.  The titles include "Perennials for the Prairies", 
"Annuals for the Prairies" and "Woody Ornamentals for the Prairies".  You can
pick these up at most book stores. In addition, the U of A puts out a home
gardening course which includes a text book also available at most bookstores.
It also has a great deal of useful info ranging from turf to veggies to fruit trees,
etc.      

There used to be a help line anyone in Alta could call at the Alberta Horticultural
Centre (Alberta Agriculture), but funding cuts saw its demise. However, there
are a number of good souls there that would likely help, as there are as the
Muttart Conservatory in Edmonton, etc. 

If I can be of help, please feel free to email me. I am not a horticulturalist but I
am a Master Gardener and have lots of books...

Any other Alta gardeners out there waiting with baited breath for spring????

Dawn Campbell, St. Albert, AB, Canada

---

From: [email-masked] (KRAMER)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 15:32:49 GMT

>Dawn Campbell, St. Albert, AB, Canada

I'm not a master gardener. Probably more of a farmer than anything else, but I
am the field manager for our community garden project and sustainable living
centre here in Lethbridge, Alberta!

---

From: [email-masked] (Nadine Leenders)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 18:55:18 GMT

: >Any other Alta gardeners out there waiting with baited breath for spring????
: >
: >Dawn Campbell, St. Albert, AB, Canada

Yup, me.

Another publication to look at is the magazine "Gardening in Alberta" which
recently got renamed for wider western distribution.  It is available at
the Southgate library in Edmonton and at the London Drugs on 51st.  No doubt
it can be found at other locations, but these are places I go to.

Looks like spring is finally arriving!!!

--

Nadine Leenders                    | [email-masked]
Computing and Network Services     | (403) 492-9349
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada   T6G 2H1