Subject: Re: Long Blooming Perennials?

From: Libby Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 18:00:20 -0800 (PST)

Don't forget perovskia aka Russian sage. It's violet to lavender
and blooms quite late and long. It's also this year's perennial of
the year.

Libby

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Mar 1995 14:47:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> J. A. Stiller,
[email-masked] writes:
>>Can anyone reccomend their Top-5 choices for perrenials that have the
>>longest blooming period in the summer. (I live in Denver)

I second the vote for Campanula carpatica, especially 'Blue Clips'. 
Other favorite long bloomers include a relatively new dwarf balloon
flower named 'Sentimental Blue' (new to me last year, and I don't think
they were out of flower from the time I planted them til very late
summer) and Dicentra eximia, summer bleeding heart.  I also like
Aubretias, early spring bloomers, low growing rock garden plants that
start blooming very soon after the snow's gone and stay in bloom for
probably about two months.  Look for named varieties to get the best
colors; many of the unnamed ones seem to be just kind of purple (whereas
some of the named forms are pink, red, blue, or two-toned).  I guess my
fifth would be Geranium lancastriense 'Shepherd's Warning', a wonderful
low-growing true geranium that always has at least a few blooms on it
(after an initial big bloom that lasts quite a while) but somehow doesn't
need a lot of bloom to be showy.  And then in the fall the leaves turn
that lovely shade of geranium red, to give you another season of color.  
                        -Sue Sanders

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacqueline S. Biscardi)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 17:23:22 GMT

My phlox maculata "alpha" started blooming in late April and
continued beautifully till it was eaten by rabbits in late
August.  Luckily, it's back this spring, and I will have to be
more careful and use hot pepper spray to keep the bunnies away!

Jacquie 
zone 7 (VA)

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Mar 1995 14:47:51 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacqueline S. Biscardi)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 17:23:22 GMT

Jacquie 
zone 7 (VA)