Subject: Re: Male eggplants and

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 15:54:03 EST

There are no male eggplants, they're all dioecious (both sexes).
Generally hot sunlight brings out bitterness in eggplant, and good
flavor in herbs.  Test an eggplant that grew in the shade of the
foliage against one with a little sunburn; the difference is quite
remarkable (at least, among the japanese eggplants I've grown here in
the upper desert).

Richard Shiell          Bakersfield, CA         [email-masked]

IS>I'm not having any luck in alt.rec.cooking...

IS>Someone once told me 'male' eggplants are more bitter than the 'female'.
IS>All I know is that we sometimes get one that is more bitter than usual.
IS>Is there any truth (or sense) at all to this?

IS>Is there a way to know a 'good' eggplant?

IS>Thanks!
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     WWW.KERN.COM
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     TELNET DJ.KERN.COM
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     FTP FTP.KERN.COM