Subject: Re: How do I deal with slugs?

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 01:37:05 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Hi) writes: 

>
>Please can someone tell me how I get rid of slugs?
>

Tell us all, and win a Nobel Prize!  :)  You can fight slugs to
a standstill, but you will never get rid of them.  Some organic
solutions include beer traps, diatamaceous earth (not a good
choice if you have pets / small children sharing the yard), and
environment traps (a piece of rock, pottery, etc. that you pick
up every morning and remove the slugs underneath).  You
can also try making your garden friendly for toads and snakes,
which love slugs for dinner.  And, of course, there is the eternal
chore of early-morning picking.  Personally, I have found toads,
beer traps, and picking to be the best combination.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 01:55:14 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Wham108550) writes: 

>One word  - SALT

The problem with salt is that too much of it is bad for the soil.
If you are going out and salting individual slugs, it is just as
easy to pick them, pitch them into a bucket of bleach water,
and enhance the compost pile.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Packer)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 12:29:48 GMT

>Please can someone tell me how I get rid of slugs?

A noted authority, who happens to be my girlfriend looking over
my shoulder, says: put out a cup of beer...clean the slugs out
daily and refill.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 01:37:05 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 01:55:14 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Packer)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 12:29:48 GMT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Mar 95 14:53:56 -0500

> Please can someone tell me how I get rid of slugs?

Take some mayo jar lids, put in a little beer then place them around the
outside of the garden area which you want to protect.  This will get rid of the
slugs.  I don't know why....