Subject: Re: Riding mowers - which one is best?

From: [email-masked] (Robert C. Vaiden)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 14:49:57 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] (Ross Margach) says:

<snip>
>>>In a previous posting
>>>> Glenna Feir <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> My husband has reluctantly admitted that he will have to buy a
>>>>> riding type mower, (rather than a walk-behind type) as we have
>
><snip>
>
>Glenna
>
>I forgot to mention the other things to watch for....
>
>Can you get off and on bothsides of the cart.  Some units have so much
>stuff under your feet that it is impossible to use both side easily.
>
>Also avoid the standard gear shift if possible.   A (or is that an)
>Hydrostatic gearshift is much better than the conventional gearbox>
>........<snip>

...And I'd like to add (without mentioning any brand names)
to pay attention to the mower deck controls.  My mower works
well...BUT... it takes a LOT of arm AND BACK strength to
lift it up to disengage it.  Try out any machine you buy
to make sure you can easily operate it!

Bob Vaiden

---

From: [email-masked] (Ross Margach)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:08:44 GMT

In a previous posting, Roger Keyser ([email-masked]) writes:
> In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ross 
> Margach) writes: 
> 
>>
>>In a previous posting, George Slade ([email-masked]) 
> writes:

<snip>

Glenna

Also avoid the standard gear shift if possible.   A (or is that an)
Hydrostatic gearshift is much better than the conventional gear box - 
particularly if you have flower beds with fussy edges.

Last but most important for me is the ability to put a trailer hitch
on the cart (mower) and be able to move stuff around.   Most of the stuff
relates to the garden so my wife gets the blame.

Good luck

Ross

---

From: [email-masked] (Dawn Burgess)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 02:21:00 GMT

Well, my datum is 15 years old, but it is still going strong.  My parents
bought a Sears lawn and garden tractor (don't know the model, but
NOT top of the line) about 15 years ago, and it is still the only mower
they have.  This machine has seen HEAVY use; my parents live on a 
small farm, and the tractor has been used to mow pastures, mow their 
very hilly yard, haul stuff, and teach two children how to steer.  The 
mower has hit stumps and rocks buried in weeds and has sideswiped a building
or two that I know of (don't tell!).  I won't say it hasn't needed repairs,
but they were mostly things my dad could do himself.  

I think Sears has, in general, excellent lawn and garden equipment,
especially for the money.

Dawn

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bailey)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:46:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Roger Keyser) writes:
|> 
|> I bought a Honda Harmony 1011 rider 2 years ago.  I hated spending twice 
|> as much, but now I appreciate the value.  I've done nothing but change 
|> the oil, add gas, and mow a rough yard in the Geogia sun with it.  I've 
|> had no trouble at all.  I bet that in two more years I'll still be happy 
|> with it, and that guy on the Sears will be on his third engine.  Then 
|> who's ahead?  Time is money.
|> 
|> By the way, last week I received a recall letter from Honda.  It seems 
|> that the clutch shaft isn't strong enough, so they want to do a free 
|> replacement of it.  I called my local dealer to arrange for the service, 
|> and he offered to pick it up at my house (15 miles from town).  Can you 
|> imagine Sears doing that?  I love it!
|> -- 
|> Roger Keyser_____________________________________________________________
|>                                                           Interactive
|>                                                           -------------->
|> [email-masked]                                        Engineering
|>                                                           <--------------

Flame ON !

Well. I bought a Sears three years ago with the 14HP Kohler engine. Yup I changed
the oil and filled it with gas, driven it hard, hauled tons of dirty around in
a trailer and its still going fine. I have not had any recalls, although it did
have a minor problem when it first arrived. I called Sears and explained the
problem. They came 30 miles to me the next day and fixed the problem on the spot.
I guess Honda can't do that. I think you are looking for excuses for having
paid twice as much !

Flame OFF

To the others. I have been very happy with my machine. I would probably buy from
them again, but do not expect to for some time. Your milage may vary, but the
same goes for all manufacturers. Make sure they fix any problems when you first
make the purchase.

-- 
Brian Bailey
Oregon City. Zone 7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts are sometimes my own. Other times someone says they own them,
			    and I have no rights.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Dineen)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 02:22:22 GMT

Roger Keyser ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I bought a Honda Harmony 1011 rider 2 years ago.
...

: By the way, last week I received a recall letter from Honda.  It seems 
: that the clutch shaft isn't strong enough, so they want to do a free 
: replacement of it.

  I bought one of these last Spring, but don't remember getting such a
  notice.  Was it for models older than mine?

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert C. Vaiden)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 14:49:57 GMT

<snip>

Bob Vaiden

---

From: [email-masked] (Ross Margach)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:08:44 GMT

<snip>

Glenna

Good luck

Ross

---

From: [email-masked] (Dawn Burgess)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 02:21:00 GMT

Dawn

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bailey)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:46:33 GMT

Flame ON !

Flame OFF

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Dineen)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 02:22:22 GMT