Subject: Re: Rotate Tomatoes?

From: [email-masked] (Reginald Jack Osborne)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 20:50:04 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Karen Kolling" writes:

> In article <[email-masked]> JNORTHAM <[email-masked]>
>  writes:
> >Sarah Turner <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> >>my small garden.  Since I particularly love growing tomatoes, I grow
> >>them every year in grow-bags against the wall of the house.  I buy new
> >>grow-bags every year, and dig the peat from the old grow-bags into the
> >>soil IF I'm not going to be growing tomatoes in the soil that year.
> > 
> >Could you please tell me more abou these grow bags?  I`m unfamiliar with them
> >and I also like to grow tomotos.  I would like to purchase grow bags or the
> >materials to make them

In the UK, all nurseries and garden centres sell grobags.  These are the size 
and shape of say a pillow.  You lay it down and cut about 3 holes in it to 
insert your tomato or other plants.  It usually contains a peat based compost.  
Cost is about a .

The problem with these items I have found is that, the plants grow like mad to 
start with - but soon run out of steam - the fertilizer in the grobag is soon 
used up.  You then need to apply great quantities of liquid fertilizer to have 
any chance of success.

I prefer to use a 10 inch pot for tomatoes (aubergines etc) with the bottom cut 
out so that it does not become pot bound - the root can continue into a bed of 
stones on which I place the pots.  I make up my own mix - half of garden soil 
and moss peat and John Innes base fertilizer.

Yours

Reg
- 
R J Osborne

---

From: [email-masked] (Reginald Jack Osborne)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 20:50:04 +0000

Yours

Reg
- 
R J Osborne