Subject: Re: composted pine needles?

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 13:15:04 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Jeanne Colin) writes: 

>
>i live in pine woods in georgia. my yard waste is mostly pine needles and 
>the detritus from sweetgum (those pesky seed balls and some leaves). this 
>is the basis of my compost pile (mulching mower means no grass to 
>compost). i'm fairly religious about adding coffee grounds and food 
>waste, also stick in the cat litter and ex-weeds. the bottom of the pile 
>is beginning to rot after its first winter, but that might just be from 
>the weight of the stuff over it. am i flogging a dead compost pile? pine 
>needles are made of iron for all they break down...
>

Keep the pile wet, and give it some more time.  When you don't
have a significant "green" component, it takes a little longer
for the compost to break down.  Also, try adding a packet of
proofed yeast.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanne Colin)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 03:33:40 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 06:38:15 GMT

>Chris Owens

You should also put thin layers of soil in your composter. (2 to 3 inches)  
This introduces much needed bacteria and insects for your composter.  It's 
also cheaper than buying store bought compost additives.
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Donald P Kackman)
Date: 9 May 1995 12:20:51 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>I'm no expert on composting but I've read in Organic Gardening that aimal
>wastes are not good for composting piles.  Animals eat meat, meat by-products 
>and thir wastes aren't good for the pile.  Anyone else have thoughts?

The only animal by-product I add to my compost are egg shells (a good
source of calcium). Feces and meat contain bacteria which can be harmful
to humans, and need to be composted for a much longer time and in a much
more consistant manner (alas I only turn my compost every couple of
months) before that bacteria is killed off. 

They also stink to high heaven while rotting and attract even more 
scavanging critters (raccoons and such) than the odd apple or orange 
peel. 

Don Kackman

---

From: Melanie Eckhart <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 May 1995 23:10:30 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> , [email-masked] writes:
>Jeanne Colin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 

I just attended a local gardening workshop and the horticulturist said
NOT to compost meat or by-products or dog or cat feces.  He did mention
that you could pick up bagged manure to use on your garden.

Also, make sure the pine needles that are composted are not diseased. 
With the wet weather throughout the midwest in the past 2-3 years, there
is a lot of evergreen diseases and those needles are to be burned to
prevent the spreading of the different diseases.

Melanie