Subject: Re: Glads

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:31:49 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Desmond L. Cook) writes: 

>
>  I just  bought some glad bulbs but know hardly anything about planting, 
>care, etc. Any help appreciated. would help to e-mail response to 
>[email-masked]
>

Dig a bed.  Moderately rich, very well draining soil will make
your glads happiest.  Plant the bulbs, pointy side up, after
the last frost.  Multiple plantings will extend the flowering
period.  Bury them about 4-6 inches down.  Water, but
not to the point of soggy soil.  Plant cages of some type
help the stalks stay upright, but usually aren't absolutely
necessary.  If you live where the ground freezes in
winter, you will need to dig the bulbs up each fall

Glads are actually one of the easiest and most forgiving
of plants to grow.  I hope you enjoy them.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Desmond L. Cook)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 21:17:42 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Bess Haile)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 23:45:22 GMT

I never dig my glads.  Some rot, some come back.  They're so
cheap I usually add new ones anyway
Bess Haile

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:31:49 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Bess Haile)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 23:45:22 GMT

---

From: Patti Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 19:04:59 GMT

hi there -

i thought that in areas where it did not get consistently cold
in the winter (Dallas Zone 7/8) you had to pull out the glad
bulbs or they wouldn't bloom the  next year?  Not true?

thanks,

Patti

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 15:58:38 GMT

>bulbs or they wouldn't bloom the  next year?  Not true?

Glads are actually a tropical plant.  That is why they are
called tender bulbs -- they don't survive freezing.  If you
live in zone 7/8 you could probably leave them in the ground
forever, with a good layer of mulch.  (I do this all the time
in Maryland.)  It only backfires in winters like that of '93-4,
when everything froze into a solid block of ice.)

You are thinking of bulbs like tulips, daffodils, etc.; which
need a period of cold to stimulate rebloom.

Chris Owens