Subject: Re: When to plant tomatoes

From: [email-masked] (douglas.rhodes)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:29:21 GMT

I live in western Morris county and I planted mine on March 1 and I hope for
decent weather to plant by May 1.  You kind of have to check the weather around
May 1 and see.  Sometimes, I don't plant outside until mid-May or later.  You
have to make sure all chances of frost is over.  By then, the plants will be
getting high, you may have to transplant them once or twice to larger pots.
In any event, you can be putting them outside (most likely) during the day
to condition them by end of April.  Living near Newark airport, you should
have slightly warmer weather than me, and you may be able to put them out
earlier (I live at about 900-1000 feet above sea level).

Don't rush to put them outside before it's time.  One frost will ruin your
whole day!

--Doug Rhodes
([email-masked])

Jeff Stier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>I live in North/Central N.J. (near Newark Airport) and am going to plant 
>>tomatoes from seed.   

>>Burpess says to plant them 6-8 weeks before last frost.

>>I have a great southern exposure indoors....
>>Outside the sunlight is adequate but not great.
>>When should I plant indoors and when should I take them out?
>>Thanks
>>******************************************************************************
>>Jeff Stier
>>[email-masked]
>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 22:38:34 GMT

Here is raleigh nc I have already planted my tomatoes!!!  The last
frost date here is april 15th- check what it is in your zone may
15th if i remember correctly.  I plant them in wall-o-waters and I
lay down black plastic around the plants to warm the soil one week
before planting.  I  leave this plastic down all summer.  i plant
One month before the last frost date. So you can plant yours before
your frost date as well.  The key is the plants have to be tall
enough so that you can plant them deep enough for the roots to
grow and support the plant later on.  In other words i plant mine
about 4-6 inches deep, removing the first set of leaves.  If you
grow them yourself you have to have time for growing - getting
tall enough for planting and hardening off(about a week) outdoors. 
Good luck!!