Subject: Caring For Evergreen Trees

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 1 Apr 1995 03:27:59 GMT

Last year, I planted 5 Canadian Hemlocks, 2 Norway Spruces, and 2 
Frazier Firs in eastern PA zone 6.  Do I need to fertilize them
this spring?  If not, when?  I saw some evergreen fertilization 
spikes in the local nursery that you stick in the ground around the
base of the tree.  Are these adequate for fertilization?  While I'm
asking these novice questions, would it benefit these trees to be
pruned?  They are in wide open areas, so space limitations do not
necessitate that they be trimmed.  Thank you for any advice as I
am in "Gardening Kindergarden" (hoping to graduate :) ).

					Dan Coronell
					[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:58:09 GMT

>am in "Gardening Kindergarden" (hoping to graduate :) ).

Give the trees a few years before pruning them, then remove any
dead, broken, or crossing branches.  This will keep the tree happier.
Evergreens are as fond of compost and cow manure as any other
plant.  The tree spikes do work but:  a)  they are VERY hard to
pound into the soil properly, b) they are more expensive than
compost or manure, and c) they may cause a ring of local die-off
from the concentration of chemicals in the soil at one spot.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:58:09 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:58:09 GMT

Chris Owens