Subject: Dormant Oil Spraying

From: [email-masked] (Dilip Barman)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 11:50:41 -0500

I am going to be dormant oil spraying my fruit trees soon.
Should my flowering weeping cherry be sprayed too?
What other bushes and trees should be sprayed?
Instead of using a pressurized container and having to do
a lot of pumping, could I use one of those plastic fertilizer appliers
that attaches to a hose?  If so, do I still need to mix the spray in
with water in the plastic bottle, or just put it in undiluted?  Thanks!
(Please email responses directly to me.)

        Dilip

P.S.  I'm trying to put together a calenear of what should go on
when in the year for my trees, shrubs, and roses.  I visited the
library, but couldn't find any good books which simply gave this
information.  Is such a file floating around? 

-- 
  Dilip Barman, Dept. of Computer Science
  University of North Carolina, CB 3175
  Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599	
  (919)962-1821, Fax -1799; [email-masked] http://www.cs.unc.edu/~barman

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Mathew)
Date: 16 Mar 1995 00:53:20 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dilip Barman) 
writes: 

<snip>
>information.  Is such a file floating around? 

Hi,
  Sorry I can't help you with the dormant oil spraying question; 
however, I can possibly assist with your postscript.
  If you look in issues of Organic Gardening magazine you will find that 
they always list the various zones and what should be done during the 
month in those areas.  I'm sure other magazines must do this sort of 
thing, as well (in fact, Sunset Magazine does it, too).  In addition, 
you might try gardening books at the library such as The Gardener's Home 
Companion to construct your calendar of information.  I've seen many 
other gardening books that have this sort of information, as well, 
although I don't have their titles here.

Hope this helps,
Joan

---

From: [email-masked] (Neefer)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 22:45:42 GMT

Jen Mayer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>JM> >P.S.  I'm trying to put together a calenear of what should go on
>JM> >when in the year for my trees, shrubs, and roses.  I visited the
>JM> >library, but couldn't find any good books which simply gave this
>JM> >information.  Is such a file floating around?
>
>I noticed Orchard Supply Hardware has free information sheets for what 
>needs to happen in your garden each month - they're available for the 
>whole year right now, but I didn't read enough to find out how extensive 
>the information is.

I get monthly mailings from 2 different nuseries in my area.  They include
a to do list.  I also use Sunset magazines list.

However, the best source I have is _The Year Round Flower Gardener_.
It has instrucitons for warm and cold enviros, and I find it accurate
enough for my Zone 9 USDA, Suanset zone 14, inland valley, of Livermore
CA.  It covers all sorts of flowers, from flowering trees to flowering
moss.  It talks about the flowering plant from seed to compost pile,
indoor and out.  I really like this book and highly recommend it
even if you have only indoor plants in your apartment.

I have a book on Herbs that has month to month instructions, too.
It has one set of instructions for every climate.  I don't know
how useful it is, yet.

Oh, and I have a book called something like The Gardening Year.
I has checklists for every month for USDA Zones 1-11 (I only looked
at 9 so I don't know for sure it goes below 6 or so for sure).
I like this, too.  I use it.

I like to be able to look at a list and say: check, check, check,
...
-- 
Jennifer in California                       [email-masked]
   
Beggars' Blocks and Blind Man's Fancy, Boston Corners and Beacon Light,
Broken Stars and Buckeye Blossoms, Blooming on the Tree of Life