Subject: Re: crabgrass preventer

From: [email-masked] (RSherry271)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 20:37:27 -0500

Look for a crabgrass preventer or preemergent crabgrass killer that
contains TUPERSAN also known by SIDURON. These herbicides are to be used
when you want to seed about the same time. Stay away from Scott's Halts
and other crabgrass preventers that do not contain the above chemicals.
Otherwise, forget about controlling crabgrass this year, plant you new
seed and treat for crabgrass with a liquid weedkiller in the summer when
the crabgrass is in full swing and then treat with the preemergent the
following spring when forsythias are in bloom.

Or, do what I'm working on - get rid of the lawn!!!

Good luck, Rosie in RI
Zone 6
RI State Master Gardener Coordinator (URI CE)
Rosanne Sherry

"Dogs come when called, cats take a message and get back to you".

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 02:11:39 GMT

Rosie is right. Tupersan is specifically formulated to use with new grass 
seed. BUT.....
It is frightfully expensive. If you have a little bit to do, okay. Otherwise, 
be prepared to spend BIG bucks to treat any significant area with Tupersan.

As far as Crabgrass killer goes. Take some advice from one who has been there. 
Grabgrass is relatively easy to kill because it is very tender, but read and 
follow the instructions with excruciating care! You use crabgrass killer in 
VERY low concentrations! A little works good, a lot DOES NOT work better!!!

Crabgrass killer is, essentially, a broad spectrum, non selective herbicide 
like Amitrol. Used in the proper dosage, it will kill the tender grab crass 
plants with one or (usually)  two applications, while leaving the hardier turf 
crass relatively undamaged. In stronger doses, it kills the crabgrass, and the 
turf grass as well. If you use crabgrass killer, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

Steven

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 02:11:39 GMT

Steven