Subject: Cedar Apple Rust & White Cedar

From: [email-masked] (Jeff M Chambers)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:07:02 GMT

First post, been lurking awhile.

     I am considering planting a American Arborvitae (White Cedar) 
screen along a portion of a gravel road for the purpose of screening 
dust from the house and also from our orchard.  The orchard borders 
the road, (i.e., 50' off of) and I was wondering if the white cedar is
subject to cedar apple rust to the same degree that the state weed of 
Southeast Nebraska, red cedar, is?

     Have also considered using Canadian Hemlock for this screen but 
have not had much success with it in other plantings here I belive due
to the hot summer winds.

     Please post or e-mail any thought you have.

     BTW, really enjoy this group!

Jeff Chambers
Adams, Nebraska

---

From: [email-masked] (RSherry271)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 20:55:08 -0500

The arborvitae is not a juniper. Only junipers share the cedar rust with
apples and their kin - hawthorns, crabapples, apples. The rust is not a
serious problem for the junipers - just Mother Nature's idea of an early
christmas tree ornament! But the disease is more serious for the apples.
It usually will cause premature defoliation thereby weakening the tree
each year and making it susceptible to more problems than the rust.
Eliminating wild apples and junipers can help to control the problem. If
it persists, look for disease resistant apples and crabapples. I'm not
sure if there are resistant hawthorns. If all else fails spray with a
fruit fungicide during bloom or when you see the tree ornaments.

Good luck, 
Rosie in RI
RI State Master Gardener Coordinator (URI CE)
Rosanne Sherry

"Dogs come when called, cats take a message and get back to you".