Subject: Re: Tulip leaf clipping?

From: [email-masked] (Glenn T. Welsh)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:30:23 GMT

In message <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Glycett) 
writes:

>Does anyone know about the necessity of clipping back tulip leaves?  Why,
>how and when is this done?
>   (My apologies if there is a faq on this, I'm new to this group as of 10
>minutes ago.)
>
>                       geo.

>After they are finished blooming, and the leaves turn brown (let them die back 
naturally) you can cut them off. But don't cut them back while still green. The 
bulb must get it's strength for the next years bloom. One thing I recommend, is 
that you make sure you don't let them go to seed. Nip flower stem, once the 
flowers start to drop their petals. If the plant starts to spend it's strength 
on producing seed, it won't bloom the next year. As an aside, your best bet to 
ensure that you'll get big strong blooming tulips every year, is to plant fresh
healthy bulbs each fall. 

Glenn