Subject: Recycle Hot Tub Water ???

From: [email-masked] (Joe Zimmerman)
Date: 30 Mar 95 13:10:41

I have a 350+ gallon hot tub which needs changing periodically.  Can I
recycle the water by:

1. Putting it on the grass?
2. Putting it around trees?
3. Watering the vegetable garden?

For me changing the water is a 2 hour syphoning process which would
lend itself to a slow watering system. The chemical agent is a
bromide and also a descaler.

I live in centeral Texas where the Ph of my soil is 7.4.  What are
your thoughts??

Regards Joe.

... When the chip's are down, the buffalo's empty.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 14:52:11 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, Paula M Craft <[email-masked]> writes:
> We drain our tub with a sprinkler attached to the end of the hose and put 
> it on the lawn.  We do this to avoid contaminating the stream that runs 
> near the tub.  The lawn soaks it up and we have not noticed any bad 
> effects but we only use minimal chlorine.  By the way, you can try not 
> using chemicals or continue lowering the recommended amount and get away 
> with it.  We think the hot tub dealers just want you to buy that stuff so 
> they say you must use this every week and so on but if you have good waer 
> alot of chemicals are not necessary.  And the less you use, the greater 
> your chance of success using it as gray water will be.  And we're not 
> without credentials, hubby is an aquatic biologist.  I'd try lowering the 
> chemical content first and then don't put it on anything you really love 
> till you're sure it won't zap it.

I hear there's also a silver electrode that can be used to clean up
bacteriological pathogens in hot tubs.  Of course the silver ion is
also toxic...

You might also want to check on if some of the nastier amoebae are
likely to move into an insufficiently chlorinated/brominated hot
tub.  As I recall, there's some Acanthamoebae that can cause
meningitis in swimming pools...  Don't know the temperature range
or the amount of halogenation they can stand, though.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: Paula M Craft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:49:29 -0600

- Paula M. Craft

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 14:52:11 -0600

---

From: Paula M Craft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:49:29 -0600

- Paula M. Craft

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 14:52:11 -0600

---

From: Paula M Craft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:49:29 -0600

- Paula M. Craft

---

From: [email-masked] (LynnDHop)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 17:37:19 -0400

Aren't there solar units intended to reduce/eliminate chlorine use in
pools, too?  I'd check with the folks at the Real Goods Catalog.
[email-masked] (Lynn D. Warner)