Subject: Re: Too much sun for Impatiens???

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 21:01:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Molly Waterman) writes:
|> I'm in a new home this summer and finally have some flower beds that aren't
|> in full sun all day.  I had hoped to plant Impatiens in a bed on the 
|> northeast side of the house.  However, I've been noticing that this
|> bed is in the sun until about 1:00 p.m.  It is shaded by some trees from
|> the very early morning sun, but is probably in full sun by about 8:00 a.m.
|> 
|> Is this too much sun for Impatiens??  I'm in zone 8.

   You should be OK.  I live near Dallas and have used Impatiens successfully
with morning sun (no shade at all) until 1:00-2:00 PM.  The only problem
here is a tendency to wilt, although I attribute that to the hot, dry conditions
in summer here rather than the sun.  Just insure that you don't let the
surrounding soil dry out and they'll do fine.  In fact I planted some
in another area that received moderate morning shade and afternoon shade
from the house (just like the others) and the ones that got morning sun did
better! 

-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:22:23 -0700

We plant Impatiens on the northside of our house every year and 
they do just fine, with sun similar to what you describe.
Bruce Moon
Rio Linda, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (Molly Waterman)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:44:38 GMT

I'm in a new home this summer and finally have some flower beds that aren't
in full sun all day.  I had hoped to plant Impatiens in a bed on the 
northeast side of the house.  However, I've been noticing that this
bed is in the sun until about 1:00 p.m.  It is shaded by some trees from
the very early morning sun, but is probably in full sun by about 8:00 a.m.

Is this too much sun for Impatiens??  I'm in zone 8.

Molly

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:09:28 GMT

>Is this too much sun for Impatiens??  I'm in zone 8.

Probably.  However, the best way to tell is to try a few and see
what happens.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 21:01:21 GMT

-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:22:23 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:09:28 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (William Schnellinger)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 06:42:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Is this too much sun for Impatiens??  I'm in zone 8.

	in the same zone ( Dallas ), I planted impatients on what I thought 
was a shaded north side, but as summer approached, it became clear that the 
plants were to be in full sun durning the afternoon. I kept them watered and
fed them well. They became quit huge ( 18-24 inches ) and were delightfull. I 
do believe that at one time they did show a little sunburn, but they quickly
recovered. So as long as they are not in the late afternoon sun ( it is the 
hottest then) you should have no problem.

	Bill

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Schnellinger                     | ...only driftwood goes with the flow..
[email-masked]                    |  	       - Domestic Science Club
http://www.surfin.com/schnell/schnell.html |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 04:09:28 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (William Schnellinger)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 06:42:32 GMT

Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (CLNichols)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 00:44:22 -0400

Molly wrote:

|> in full sun all day.  I had hoped to plant Impatiens in a bed on the 
|> northeast side of the house.  However, I've been noticing that this
|> bed is in the sun until about 1:00 p.m.  It is shaded by some trees
from
|> the very early morning sun, but is probably in full sun by about 8:00
a.m.
|> 
|> Is this too much sun for Impatiens??  I'm in zone 8.

I have successfully grown impatiens in similar conditions and they were
beautiful.  They did need regular watering, preferably every day when the
weather was hot.

Cindy
Indianapolis, zone 5

---

From: [email-masked] (Polar)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 04:07:02 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Richard 

from
>from the house (just like the others) and the ones that got morning sun 
did
I concur.  Impatiens is one tough cookie!

Polar

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 03:17:21 -0400

I'm in zone 5, very humid and hot summers, so don't know if it translates,
but the conditions you are describing are exactly where my Impatiens do
best.  I had one plant last year on the deck that was humungous!!  It also
managed to drop a seed which showed up midwinter in my bay tree pot (which
was brought indoors for the winter) and has been blooming merrily since
about February!!