Subject: Cold Frames - Glass or Plastic

From: [email-masked] (Nadine Leenders)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 17:29:38 GMT

It is finally getting warm enough here for me to try constructing
my first cold frame.  I'm going to use my kids' large sandbox for
the base.  My question is, can I get away with using some kind of
plastic (preferably cheap stuff) instead of glass for the top?

--

Nadine Leenders                    | [email-masked]
Computing and Network Services     | (403) 492-9349
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada   T6G 2H1

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Crader)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 21:54:44 -0500

> > plastic (preferably cheap stuff) instead of glass for the top?

Several books on propagation I've looked at suggest using Bubble pack
plastic in place of glass! I haven't tried this, but I would think you'd
have to put some support under it (such as dog wire) to keep it from
collapse under snow, squirrel, or cat weight. I intend to build a test
frame this year to try it out (and use 2 layers for my Zone 6 climate).

BTW bubble pack makes great internal insulation for the walls of the
frame, and you can put it between any pots in the frame for added
insulation.

The Arnold Arboretum sticks it (using plain old rubber cement) onto the
lower parts of their glass greenhouse panels for extra winter protection.
Transmits light, insulates, cheap...now why didn't I think of that!

Kevin

---

From: [email-masked] (Nadine Leenders)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 16:53:03 GMT

Thanks for all the great ideas.  Just realized, I forgot to ask,
just how do I know when it is warm enough to put the plants in the
frame?

(BTW - I think my boys would hate me forever if I replaced their
sand with manure !!! :).  I was planning on removing the plants
once they can be transplanted as the boys are still young enough
to want to play in sand occasionally.)

--