Subject: Re: compost bins made of pallets

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 16:19:23 GMT

We just leave them open, or use a piece of chicken wire in front. that can
be worked like a gate.  We had really good luck with this process last
year.  We emptied and refilled several times.  Once decomposition had
slowed using it to mulch around the flowers. 

the leaves went in in the fall and are getting ready to become mulch who
knows where.  and its almost time to start filling it up with the weeds and
chopped branches.
-- 
Gwen Baker
Victorian Scented Beads
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (CRMc)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 16:30:49 GMT

Salvia (both blue and red) from last year produced tons of seeds -- I 
saved lots of 'em to plant this year.  I'm planning to try to direct 
seed a flower bed with them (as opposed to starting the salvia inside). 
 Am I wasting my time, or has someone else had success with this?

While I'm at it, what about the same direct seeding technique for:
--marigolds
--asters
--impatiens
--zinnia
--cosmos
?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

CRMc ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 09:39

I saw descriptions of a couple of compost bin "recipes" made from
wood pallets and chicken wire.  What wasn't mentioned was what to
use for the front and tops of the bins to allow access.  Could one of
you avid composters out there tell me what you're using?  Thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:28:58 GMT

>you avid composters out there tell me what you're using?  Thanks!

I use bins made of chicken wire stapled to 2x4 squares, the squares
held together with hooks.  No top.  (I am a very lazy composter --
I use the "let it rot for a year" method.)  You could do the same
thing with pallets; and, if you really want a top, a tarp works well.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 16:19:23 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (CRMc)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 16:30:49 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:28:58 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 16:19:23 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (CRMc)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 16:30:49 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:28:58 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 20:45:03 -0600

> you avid composters out there tell me what you're using?  Thanks!

Hm.  My favorite compost bins were made of 5 pallets, rather crudely
nailed together into a shape that looked like an E from above.

The pallets were spiked to the ground with some scrap re-rod and
conduit (yep, the town junk yard was about a block away, how did
you guess?) at each "corner" of the E, and the front of each arm 
of the E.  There were no "tops" or "fronts" to these bins...
When I wanted to turn my compost, I'd use a rake to pull it out of
one bin into a heap in front of me, give it a good stir, and
rake it back into the bin.  The twin bins gave me a chance to have
a couple of piles working at once... one pretty well rotted, and
one "just being loaded".

That composter lasted about 5 years.  Before and since, I've simply
built "haystacks with depressions in the middle" on bare ground.

Why didn't I build another pallet composter?  Too lazy to scrounge
pallets.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 20:45:03 -0600