Subject: Re: HELP - Lawn Decimated by My 8 Dogs!!!

From: WALKEM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:54:21 GMT

>==========Dick Gilman, 3/17/95==========
>
>
>In article <[email-masked]>, WALKEM 
>([email-masked]) writes:
>>This is a last gasp for help...
>
>Gasp!!  Well we have two large dogs a setter and golden.  Fescue
>grass will NOT repeat NOT work for these type animals.  Fescue
>grows from a single seed and produces a single plant.  Mr dog runs
>by and tears up mr single fescue grass!! So growing fescue is an
>act in futility!!!.  So in my heavy run areas like around corners
>and stuff I put centipede,  yes it is brown in winter yes it will
>take over the fescue but it is a HIGH traffic grass.  The warm
>weather grasses like centipede put out stolons and "grow" by
>themselves they fill in any area over time.  So they will fill any
>area in by themselves.  So unless you want to put wood chips down
>or pave the yard warm weather grasses are your only hope!! 
>
>

Hey, thanks!  What you say makes sense, even though all the garden (nursery)
experts tell me that tall fescue is high-traffic and is even used on football
fields.  My dogs don't need cleats!  

But I thought I heard somewhere that centipede grass is a weed(!?)  Can it be
replaced relatively easily by someone who (a few years from now) might
consider buying my house?

Also, can centipede grass grow in zone 6-7?  I neglected to mention where I
lived (OH) in my original post.

Thanks much,

Matt

==================================================
All opinions expressed here have nothing whatsoever to do 
with anything espoused by AT&T!

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 17:10:35 GMT

Well centipede is an example of a warm weather grass, zoysia is
another one.  The key is warm weather grasses produce mats instead
of single blades.  They are invasive so they continue to spread
into flower beds driveways etc.  They do turn brown in the winter,
but then again you have mud which is brown isn't it?   As far as
resale value some people love warm weather grasses becuase of the
low maintenance some people do not like them becuase of the brown
color.  I think if you had a mud lawn or straw that would be alot
worse than a brown lawn!!! Besides sell it in the late spring when
it is green!!  Yes it will grow in zone 6/7 it just means that it
will turn brown earlier, first frost and green up later.   

  In article <[email-masked]>,
WALKEM ([email-masked]) writes: >

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 17:10:35 GMT