Subject: Re: Garden drainage

From: PATTIBELLE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 00:15:36 -0500

Re:  drainage tiles.  When our house was built 18 yrs. ago on a steep
hillside, the only part excavated was for the garage.  Drains were put
around 3 sides thus:  4" French drain tile laid on a bed of chunky
gravel with a hay layer on top to prevent dirt from washing into the pipe
the first year.  Gravel atop th hay, then backfilled with dirt.  BUT
you might also consider this:  when our lot was contoured, the backhoe
man put a tiny ditch at the base of the hill which he warned me never
to concrete in or let get silted up.  I've done as he said.  Kept the
little ditch open and clear.  Even this winter, the wettest in 100 yrs.
the water drains like mad off the hill and into the ditch which then
leads to each side of the house and connects with plastic drainage
hoses from each downspout.  The whole thing drains water from the back
of the lot down to the street.  Drainage can be complicated.  Sorry I
don't remember the gradient on the French drain around the garage, but
it still works--and how!  Hope this gives yousome ideas.
 
Pat in Napa, CA

---

From: PATTIBELLE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 00:15:36 -0500

Pat in Napa, CA