Subject: Re: "natural" selection of violets?

From: [email-masked] (Gerald W. Roe)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 05:54:02 GMT

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that it could be either. There
is a way to find out: don't mow them and see if they grow taller.
-- 
Trans-Pacific Nursery        Rare and Exotic Plants
Email catalog available      Timber Press books discounted

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert C. Vaiden)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 16:08:43 GMT

I love violets-they get mowed in much of the yard, but I mow
around them in some areas (and have vast numbers of them in
my wildflower gardens!).  I'm not sure I've notice any change
in behavior in the mowed violets-just that the only leaves left
are the short ones......Now the UNmowed ones exhibit some
behavior....very aggressive behavior!  THese unmowed patches
have spread, and there is nothing else growing within them-
even Creeping Charlie does poorly there (ha!...maybe I'll
just let violets take over everything-no more weeding!)

Bob Vaiden