Subject: Re: Shade gardening & books

From: [email-masked] (Wolfgang Arnetzl)
Date: 9 Mar 95 21:47:00 +0200

[email-masked] wrote on 25.02.95
concerning "Re: Shade gardening & books":

s> That's the problem with a shade garden:  most of the plants have small
s> flowers that one cannot see from a distance.    What I need are
s> ideas on design.  Druse's idea that a shade garden should just grow as in
s> nature is not helpful for a person with limited space.

There are also small growing woodplants! If you want to have some   
surrounding a sitting place you may choose rhododendraceae. Younger ones  
are usually about 3 feet, older ones reach 7 feet at the most. In late  
spring/early summer they show so many blossoms that the whole bush is pure  
pink (or white or pale blue or ...). Lower growing shrubs are Anemone  
japonica. They bloom in October with white or pale pink blossoms on stalks  
about 3 feet height. Some years after planting they run wild and cover big  
areas under trees. Combine them with vinca minor or wild strawberries,  
perhaps take a blackberry-bush (if hunger strikes you...).

cheerio, special e-mail guest Steffi (please notice that I'm female and  
I'm not called Wolfgang :-) ...)