Subject: Garden Planning software

From: [email-masked] (Matt Brunton)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 10:17:13

I'm posting this on behalf of a colleague who doesn't have news access.
She is looking into some software that will help her plan a garden and 
give some idea of what it will look like in a few years time (which
suggests some sort of graphical interface)

Here are all the details she gave me:

The program was designed by Ian Shooter, landscape designer, of The
Garden Centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK, in collaboration with
FCG Computers of Berkhamstead.  It was mentioned in 'The Mail On Sunday'
June 26 1994

Not a lot to go on, I know, but hopefully it will ring a few bells with
someone!!

Matt

---

From: [email-masked] (SuzAllison)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 19:01:16 -0500

Matt --

The particular software you mentioned isn't familiar to me, but I work
with two applications that more or less fit the bill -- though I don't
know if they're available in the U.K.or if special U.K. versions exist
(the American versions are entirely geared towards the North American
gardening environment):

FLOWERscape by Voudette Inc.
LandDesigner by Green Thumb Software, Inc. (now on CD ROM)

Flowerscape allows garden planning in an elevation view, while
LandDesigner offers only a groundplan view.  Both offer "growth"
scenarios.  Both are also, alas, rather clumsy and laden with drawbacks. 
The Perfect Gardening Software has yet to be designed -- as far as I know.
 In fact, if anyone is familiar with a program superior to the ones I've
described, please tell me!

---

From: [email-masked] (SuzAllison)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 19:01:16 -0500

Matt --