Subject: FIRE BLIGHT?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 06:46:54 EST

IN>> As you know, we've had an exceptionally rainy period lately.
IN>> I have some Indian Hawthornes, still in their nursery.  They
IN>> are in various stages of bloom.
IN>>
IN>> I looked out the window Saturday and saw a bunch of bronze
IN>> leaves in the middle of one plant.  The leaves die back from the
IN>> base of the stem, and the blossom-to-be is blotched red.
IN>>
IN>> The "books" on fire blight say to prune back infected wood.
IN>> This would be virtually the whole plant in this case.  I
IN>> removed the affected leaves and sprayed every IH and Rose
IN>> with streptomycin, which is more a preventive than a cure.
IN>> I understand Triple Action 20 gives control, but the warning
IN>> label on that stuff scared me off.
IN>>
IN>> Is anyone else having problems?  I've set the followup
IN>> to rec.gardens since fire blight occurs over a wide area
IN>> of the US.
IN>> --
IN>> Amy Moseley Rupp                     "Amy-Mama" to Elizabeth "Be-Ba" Ann
IN>> [email-masked]               born 11/4/92, 16 teeth and >100 w
IN>> (512) 329-7117                           Granddaughter of EJSM, loved fo
IN>>

      Hello Amy...

  here are some suggestions and questions.......

   what are you feding them?
  are they in containers or in the ground?

   some organic controls :
      spray year round with fine horticultural oil
  add a dash of garlic oil and a dash of any kind of liquid seaweed.
follow instructions for the oil.
   also spraying with a compost tea solution several times per year
(especially during dormancy) will control Fire Blight.
  In my natural tree care service, I control fire blight in any kind of
tree by:
    1:  feeding it rock dust sprinkled lightly from the base extending
20 feet out from the drip line. Use solorized , spring, rain, or
filtered water to water in(city water kills natural bacteria)
    2: compost and mulch area   don't worry about turning over the soil,
just layer the compost and then the mulch on top of it.
     3: I install what I call "tree vents" four around each tree about
twice the dia of the trunk out. These tree vents are clay drain pipes
about 4 inches wide and 12 inches deep available at most construction
centers, cost aboy $3-$5 ea. Inside plave 1 pound of good rich compostto
which additional rock dust has been added. make sure that a drip line is
placed to water them. control above ground watering.

  P.S. Did I tell you that fire blight is a soil borne disease?
     4: I spray the tree with Nitron A-35 (1-800-835-0123) a bacterial
activator, Superseaweed(1-800-354-9296) a microbiological seaweed
concentrate, Shure crop( 1-916-272-GROW) a molasses based fermented
product, a dash of natural soap such as shaklees Basic H and a dash of
garlic, and last but not least compost tea.

  hmmmmmm smells great! works great!

  Hope this helps you.....

  |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
  |   Andrew Lopez                                                  |
  |  The Invisible Gardener (rm)                                    |
  |  [email-masked]       Don't          |
  |  Operating TOBBS                                 Panic          |
  |  Home of The Organic BBS(tm)                      it's          |
  |  The Invisible Gardeners of America(tm)          Organic!       |
  |  1-310-457-4268.....2400                                        |
  |  1-310-457-4879.....14,400                                      |
  |  for more info call 1=310-457-4438                              |
  |_________________________________________________________________|

---
^[37mSent via WorldLink on ^[35m03/20/95 ^[37mat ^[35m17:52:22^[37m.
^[32mFrom: ^[33mThe Invisible Gardener
      Malibu, CA
      ^[36mInformation on organics.