Subject: HELP WITH TOMATO PROBLEM!!!!

From: [email-masked] (Billybob)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 14:44:45 GMT

I have been growing tomatoes on my deck in containers for the last three 
years.  Every year the same thing happens.  About the time the plants begin 
to bloom, the leaves on the bottom branches begin to turn yellow, 
eventually with black spots at the ends.
  
These branches die off and the problem progresses up the plant until there 
are very few green leaves left by mid summer.  The plants continue to live 
and bear tomatoes, but they are significantly impaired (the tomatoes do 
taste great).

I originally thought that this was a fungus (I live about four blocks 
from the ocean in Southern California, so the evenings are damp), so I 
bought fungus resistant strains this year.  Well...the same thing is 
beginning to happen. 

What Is going on here?  Could this be tobacco mosaic virus?  I am a 
smoker and smoke Indonesian cigarettes.  If so what can I do????

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Bill Amend ([email-masked])