Subject: Mexican Heathers survived the winter

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 6 Apr 1995 13:34:28 GMT

--
I was sure I'd lost them during that last freeze (probably the only freeze this
winter).  They had been green with many flower up until that last cold snap
then turned brown right to the ground.  I trimmed them back to about 3" stubs
as that is where I started finding green branches.  I left them this way for
about 2 weeks when I noticed new leaves starting at ground level.  I removed
the stubs and essentially cut off everything above the ground except for the
new leaves.  Then we had a few days in the mid 70's and 4 out of 6 of them 
took off and are about 2" tall now.  The other 2 are just starting to put out
leaves.  These things grow like weeds, hate it when you water them and love
the full Texas sun.  I have these planted in the sunniest part of the rock
garden surrounding my pool.  They get little water and get full sun from 10am
to sundown about 8pm.  I have lots of small bees that love these little 
flowers.  I don't know where these bees have taken up housekeeping but they
tried to get in behind the little bit of siding on the back of the house.  I
fixed the gap in the siding but have no idea where the bees went.  These
bees are friendly - unlike those nasty wasps that don't like sharing the pool.

Regards, Bonnie
  Mama to Bobby 9/5/91 and Aunt Bonnie to Hayden 3/7/95
*******************************************************************
Email: [email-masked]