Subject: Greenhouse/Sunroom Recc'd

From: Craig Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 19:57:50 GMT

I have a concrete deck (flush with the ground) adjacent to west-facing 
sliding glass doors.  I'm interested in putting in a lean-to sunroom, and 
solicit your opinions on design, sources for kits, and estimated costs.
Size - about ten by twenty.  I'd hope to install the walls right on 
the slab instead of pouring footers, and insulate around the slab and use it 
for whatever heat storage it'll accomplish.  I assume a kit is the most 
cost-effective for a professional-looking unit; probably using glass or 
UV-resistant plastic.  

I'm aware that, being west-facing, it will overheat badly in summer.  I 
live in the Seattle area, and overheating isn't a huge problem most of 
the year.  I expect to put in automatic (temperature-activated) vents.  
I'm not inclined to plant a deciduous tree south of the site, but vines 
might do.  I also do not expect to heat it the rest of the year.  Thus, I 
will not take out the sliders, but just close it down when it's too cold. 

I'm just hoping for early starts for the garden in Spring and being able to 
enjoy the warmth when the sun breaks through in the Fall and Winter (and 
Spring, for that matter!).  

Plenty of room here for opinions - kit vs site-built, dealers, cost, 
glass vs plastic, use of slab, shading, venting, installation ease, thermal 
storage, etc.  If you've been there, I'm listening.

Thanks in advance.