Subject: Re: invasive plants

From: [email-masked] (Amy Forsberg)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 15:25:07 -0600

AIRD    MELANIE DAWN ([email-masked]) wrote:

: please make sure that invasive plants are either native, or containable.

: i'm in new brunswick (canada) and we're having a massive problem with an 
: invasive plant that is not native, but is taking over huge areas.  i can't 
: remember the name (does anyone here?), but they are tall, bright purple, and 
: so beautiful that people are transplanting them from ditches to their 
: yards.  the problem is that each of these guys produces about a million 
: seeds... :(

: mda

Sounds like purple loosestrife.  It's a terrible problem in upstate NY
where it has crowded out the native plants.

Amy

---

From: [email-masked] (AIRD MELANIE DAWN)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 14:33:49 GMT

i'm sure someone has brought this up, but i haven't seen it in the last 
couple of weeks, so here goes.

please make sure that invasive plants are either native, or containable.

i'm in new brunswick (canada) and we're having a massive problem with an 
invasive plant that is not native, but is taking over huge areas.  i can't 
remember the name (does anyone here?), but they are tall, bright purple, and 
so beautiful that people are transplanting them from ditches to their 
yards.  the problem is that each of these guys produces about a million 
seeds... :(

mda

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet Malowany)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 23:08:36 GMT

> yards.  the problem is that each of these guys produces about a million 

Is the plant Purple Loosestrife?  There is an article about it in Canadian
Gardener this month.

-Janet

--
                   *-*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*-*
                   \      - Janet Malowany -       /
                   /   [email-masked]   \
                   *-*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*-*

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet Malowany)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 23:08:36 GMT

-Janet