Subject: Re: Safe to plant a tree in Northern Ohio?

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 19:32:30 GMT

[email-masked] (Dan Wagner) wrote:
>
> I want to plant a tree in Northern Ohio ( American Redbud).  The temps have 
> been in the high 60's and lows around 35-40.  Is it safe to plant a tree or 
> should I wait a little longer.

Hi Dan-  Here in Milwaukee, we've had temperatures in the 70's for the
past 3 days, and if you don't think that was a temptation to go and
work in the garden!  However, there are 2 important things to consider.
First, we could still have some nasty weather ahead until at least 
mid-April. Second, in most cases, the soil is really too wet to be worked
this early.  I don't know what type of soil you have, but if it has much 
clay in it, working the soil when it's too moist will cause it to compact
and it will be difficult to firm around the roots without air pockets.
The way to test this is to take a handful of dirt and squeeze it in your
hand.  If it breaks apart fairly easily when you open your hand, the soil
can be worked, but it holds together in a tight lump, it still needs to day
out.  I don't know if you're transplanting a tree or holding one that is
dormant,or whether it's bare-root or potted.  Unless there is a reason
that you must plant it now, I'd be inclined to wait 3 or 4 weeks.  If
you need to plant earlier, you could pre-dig the hole and pile up the
soil next to it and allow the whole thing to dry out for a few days.
Good luck with your Cercis.
Don Martinson
[email-masked]

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 19:55:00 GMT

>been in the high 60's and lows around 35-40.  Is it safe to plant a tree
or 

If the tree's dormant and the ground's sufficiently dried out to work,
this would be an ideal time.                                        Sue
Sanders

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy Hostetler)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 20:20:24 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Susan Sanders 
<[email-masked]> writes: 

>>been in the high 60's and lows around 35-40.  Is it safe to plant a 
tree
>this would be an ideal time.                                        Sue

NO!  wait a couple of weeks.  this was addressed on a program here in 
columbus a day or two ago.  -Tim-

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Wagner)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:19:39