Subject: Advise/first aid needed

From: [email-masked] (Frank Tomany)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 05:47:56 GMT

I have had an umbrella plant for 3-4 years.  The clay pot is developing
white powder on the outside surface and the plant is wilting.  I read
somewhere in the past that it could be the type of water I am using.  I
moved six months ago and am not sure how to address the problem. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 17:11:57 -0600

> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

Sounds like mineral deposits on the outside of the pot, often due to
accumulated salts in the soil from fertilization or water.  I'd
suggest repotting the plant in new soil (washing off as much from
the roots as possible) in a new pot, and watering with demineralized
water (deionized or distilled).

You can probably salvage the pot with a brisk scrubbing using vinegar
to remove the deposit.

If this were a plant that had been repotted recently, I'd suggest 
trying to leach the excess salts out of the soil by overwatering.  But
if you're like many folks, your plant is overdue for repotting anyhow...

One of the best indoor gardening rules I ever learned was from my
old major prof:  If you can't figure out what is ailing a plant, 
unpot it, wash all the soil off the roots, and repot it in fresh
soil and a clean pot.  90% of the time, that's what it needs.

Kay Klier   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 17:11:57 -0600