Subject: Wanted: Tips for Composting

From: [email-masked] (Bob Grenert)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 06:09:53 GMT

I just started a garden and want to compost. I remember helping my 
grandfather a bit 20 years ago. I just dug a rectangular hole, put a 
plastic tarp on the bottom to hold the water in, then started throwing in 
leaves, grass clippings, etc. I know I need to water it and cover it with 
something dark.  Then what????? Any suggestions appreciated.

---

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 23:53:16 -0500

Hi,

I highly recommend a book called "Let it Rot" by Stu Campbell to cover
some composting basics.  What you describe will probably work after a
while (although I would DEFINITELY skip the plastic tarp -- could keep the
pile too wet, leaving an anaerobic, slimy, stinky mess), but understanding
a few composting concepts may help you to decide what system will work
best for you.

Good luck,
E Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (Topsoil)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 23:53:16 -0500

Hi,

Good luck,
E Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 13:31:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Bob Grenert) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Bob Grenert)
>Subject: Wanted: Tips for Composting
>Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 06:09:53 GMT

>something dark.  Then what????? Any suggestions appreciated.

The cover isn't necessary. I like to keep my compost at ground level where I 
can get to it easily. I think the two keys to composting are: water & air. The 
compost pile should be damp throughout, and it MUST be aerated somehow. I turn 
my pile with a hay fork every few weeks. This would be very difficult to do if 
it was in a hole.
There is a good book called "Let It Rot" by Stu Campbell. Garden Way 
Publishing; Storey Communications, Inc. Schoolhouse Rd, RD # 1; Box 
105; Pownal, VT 05261-9990. ($5.95 US) It will tell you more than you ever 
wanted to know about composting.
Steven