Subject: Re: My crabapple needs birth control

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Mar 1995 17:24:08 GMT

[email-masked] (Robin Netherton) wrote:
>
> We have just moved into a townhouse with a HUGE healthy crabapple tree in 
> front. 

One of my reference books says that one method of chemical thinning of
apple trees is to spray with the insecticide Sevin, about 14 days after
blooming.  If you have a country horticultural/agricultural agent, I'm sure
they can give you some better information.

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Mar 1995 17:24:08 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 16:16:45 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Robin Netherton) writes: 

>front. However, each summer/fall it drops massive loads of fruit on the 
>porch, walk, neighbor's porch, etc. (a mess tracked on white carpets, and 
>dangerous when squashed/slippery on the sidewalk). Any suggestions on 
>curbing the tide? One of the tree people I've consulted has heard of a 
>"growth regulator" (called "Floral" or something like that) used on the 
>West Coast, relatively new, not readily available here yet, but maybe 
>soon. Has anyone had any experience with such sprays? I believe they are 
>applied annually, when tree is in full bloom. I intend to grow 
>herbs/edibles in the front yard, so I don't want to poison the area! Any 
>alternative approaches would be welcome too.
>

How could you possibly let that wonderful bounty go to waste?
Harvest those crabapples for jelly, jam, sauces, butters and
chutneys.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Robin Netherton)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 02:45:20 GMT