Subject: Re: Hydrangeas- Pac NW

From: [email-masked] (Howard Slenk)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 03:43:05 GMT

Richard Ness ([email-masked]) wrote:
: We planted one on the south side of our house, about 6 feet from house. It
: dies back every winter so it never gets any bigger and of course it never
: blooms.  Any suggestions? Climate mild, soil acidic. 
:  
: thanks! 
:  
: Chris  ([email-masked])

I have terrific luck with hydrangeas, but it took me a while to figure 
them out.  For starters, do not prune your hydrangea for a few years.  
Feed it weak Miracid once per week from the start of its growing season 
until it blooms.  Mine are in the shade, by the way, on the northside, 
protected from the strong winter winds we have.

MAKE THE WORLD A GARDEN

Howard

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:44:10 GMT

My family had about 10 plants each about 5 feet around.  We only cut out
the dead wood each sring.  Apparently they bloom on two plus year old wood.
We had masses of wonderful blue flowers.  My dad put the ashes from a coal
furnace on them. When the State of Ohio bought the house to tear down for a
road.  The neighbors all came by to dig up some root stock.  The soil under
them was so light and fluffy.  The only thing was the roots had spread so
far and were hard to cut through.  My dad died 10 years ago and nothing had
really been done to the garden since, so he must have done a wonderful job
when he took care of it.
Gwen

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Slenk)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 03:43:05 GMT

MAKE THE WORLD A GARDEN

Howard

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:44:10 GMT