Subject: GARDEN CARTS - 2-wheel

From: Glenna Feir <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Mar 1995 02:39:12 GMT

We need to buy some kind of cart to use when we transplant shrubs and
small trees. We have a wheelbarrow, but to use it we'd have to lift
the balled-and-burlapped root ball into the wheelbarrow.
I went looking for the kind I remember seeing in nurseries....they 
had two large wheels at the front,  were made of wood, and had a
"tailgate" that could be lowered to facilitate loading....but all
I can find is the plastic ones, and they are a quite different
shape...very deep.
Has anyone used these new-fangled plastic ones for the purpose I 
described?
Anyone know a manufacturer or source or the tradional garden cart?
I can't find any in our part of the country, PA.

Glenna

---

From: [email-masked] (HollyTW)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 08:41:31 -0500

Smith and Hawken sell them.  They're pricey, but I've never been
dissatisfied with anything I ordered from them.  They _are_ in California,
however.  (800) 776-3336  You might also try Gardener's Supply in Vermont
(802) 660-3500  But for sheer variety of carts, including collapsible
ones, at very reasonable prices, contact Cart Warehouse in Point Arena,
CA.  (800) 852-2588.

Personally, I don't think the plastic ones are worth a flip.

Happy hauling!
Holly

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Naylor)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:21:26 -0600

> I can't find any in our part of the country, PA.

They're a little pricey, but I recommend Garden-Way carts. I've had mine
for about ten years now, and really give it a workout nine months of the
year on a wooded acreage hauling everything from dirt and compost to
rocks, firewood, hay bales and even extension ladders and lumber
(crosswise) The balance is wonderful! I never have to lift the load and if
it's downhill or level, it's really effortless. I think they're still
advertised in Organic Gardening. It's one of those "couldn't get by
without it" tools.

-- 
Jim Naylor    (Lurkers Anonymous)       <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Bailey)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 20:23:56 GMT

I have never used a wooden cart to compare, and they might well be better, but
I really like my Rubbermaid plastic cart -- the front tips down to touch the
ground with only a slight uphill angle inside, so it's easy to roll heavy
rocks (or balled-and-burlapped plants) in without much effort (and with a back
problem, this is crucial to me). Then you can use the sturcture of the cart to
lever the load up and roll it along. I guess I should say that the wheels
(when the cart is loaded heavily) do NOT like to get caught on landscape
timbers or anything, but overall I think the cart performs much BETTER than I
would have expected.  It also, being deep and waterproof (well, until I
dropped that particularly heavy pointy rock in too hard!!!), made a good
temporary container for my pond fish and plants when I cleaned the pond and
refilled it... So it has that kind of use over the wooden variety, if that has
any interest to you.

Sherry

---

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Glenn Lasseigne)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 04:52:33 GMT

Sherry Bailey ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have never used a wooden cart to compare, and they might well be better, but
: I really like my Rubbermaid plastic cart -- the front tips down to touch the
: ground with only a slight uphill angle inside, so it's easy to roll heavy
: rocks (or balled-and-burlapped plants) in without much effort (and with a back
: problem, this is crucial to me). Then you can use the sturcture of the cart to
: lever the load up and roll it along. I guess I should say that the wheels
: (when the cart is loaded heavily) do NOT like to get caught on landscape
: timbers or anything, but overall I think the cart performs much BETTER than I
: would have expected.  It also, being deep and waterproof (well, until I
: dropped that particularly heavy pointy rock in too hard!!!), made a good
: temporary container for my pond fish and plants when I cleaned the pond and
: refilled it... So it has that kind of use over the wooden variety, if that has
: any interest to you.

Just got the one made by Step 2 for under $40.   I'll never use a one-wheel
wheel barrel again.  Mine appears to be a lot like the rubbermaid described
above.  It wheels perfectly even when filled with 6 cu ft of compost.

glenn  [email-masked]

: Sherry

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Bailey)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 20:23:56 GMT

Sherry

---

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Glenn Lasseigne)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 04:52:33 GMT

: Sherry