Subject: Fungus On Citrus plants!!! HELP!

From: [email-masked] (TREK 930 Marauder)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 17:38:59 -0500

Hi Y'all!
	I have a couple of grapefruit trees for the past couple of years that 
I began growing from seeds from the grapefruits I bought at the market.  Their
about close to ten years old now and this sticky dark yellow-brown ooze
is attacking them.  Is this a fungus?  Has anyone heard of this before 
attacking grapefruit trees?  I find it strange that any grapefruit disease
could harm them since I live in NJ, thousands of miles from other 
grapefruit trees, and I wouldn't know how they could come in contact with 
something like this, unless it is an ailment found in other native trees
that somehow is capable of infecting my grapefruit trees.

							-Peter
							[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 18:29:48 -0800

TREK 930 Marauder ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi Y'all!
: 	I have a couple of grapefruit trees for the past couple of years that 
: I began growing from seeds from the grapefruits I bought at the market.  Their
: about close to ten years old now and this sticky dark yellow-brown ooze
: is attacking them.  Is this a fungus?  Has anyone heard of this before 
: attacking grapefruit trees?  I find it strange that any grapefruit disease
: could harm them since I live in NJ, thousands of miles from other 
: grapefruit trees, and I wouldn't know how they could come in contact with 
: something like this, unless it is an ailment found in other native trees
: that somehow is capable of infecting my grapefruit trees.

: 							-Peter
: 							[email-masked]

	Tree exudates are hard to diagnose even when you can see the 
tree.  Almost any kind of stress(Pollution, overly-frequent watering, 
insects, etc.) can induce an ooze from a tree.  Most times it's not a 
sign of anything serious.  
	Sucking insects like aphis only digest about 10% of the sugars 
they suck out of the 'veins' of a grapefruit tree.  The other 90% 
generally ends up on the branches in the form of honeydew, a clear sticky 
sugary mess that soon turns black from the invasion of a fungus called 
sooty mold.  If your ooze is indeed honeydew you should see the aphis as 
well as the ooze.
Jerry Heverly, Instr. of hort, Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA
-- 

Jerry Heverly, Oakland, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (Jerry Heverly)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 18:29:48 -0800

: 							-Peter