Subject: plants for wet areas?

From: [email-masked] (Administrator)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:52:32 GMT

Hi all,
 
Have a low-lying area that is shortly to be planted. It gets all the rain
and is generally soggy. After adding organic material to the soil, would
like to add plants. Does anyone know of good wet-tolerant plants other
than Japanese irises? 

I am in Zone 4 in Minnesota and would like especially to use native
grasses that tolerate wet conditions. 

Thanks!

Wendy in Stillwater

Sent via the Newsbytes BBS On The Internet at 199.86.32.158 3004

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 16:08:34 GMT

[email-masked] (Administrator) wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>  
> HaI have a low-lying area that is shortly to be planted....

My choice for early spring color would be some marsh marigolds,
Caltha palustris.  There is a double variety, 'Multiplex', and
also a white variety.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:36:30 GMT

>Sent via the Newsbytes BBS On The Internet at 199.86.32.158 3004

Call your county extension office, and ask them about native
grasses.

Chris Owens

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 16:53:58 GMT

>My choice for early spring color would be some marsh marigolds,

Yes!  and forget-me-nots and Japanese iris.                        -Sue
Sanders

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 16:08:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:36:30 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 16:53:58 GMT

---

From: Jennifer Stiller <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Mar 1995 16:06:07 GMT

Wendy in Stillwater writes: >>Have a low-lying area that is shortly to be
planted. It gets all the rain
>>grasses that tolerate wet conditions. 

I don't know if these grow in zone 4, but I have been lusting after
Japanese primroses ever since I saw them in a public garden here in the
warmer part of zone 6 last spring.  The horiculturalist there said they
really love the wet (which I don't have), and they are incredibly
beautiful.  You might want to look into them.

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 21:22:31 -0500

I have quite a few daylilies, and ligularia.  Also you should be able to find
beautiful purple and yellow irises growing wild, and Joe-pye weed, too.
Also, atwo lychnises, yellow and gooseneck loosestrife, fo well, and ferns.
I'm in Zone 3.

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 21:22:31 -0500

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 21:22:31 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Dickow)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 03:34:13 GMT

> Also, atwo lychnises, yellow and gooseneck loosestrife, fo well, and ferns.

My all time favorite is Filipendula rubra 'Venusta'. Gets tall.
--

--Bob Dickow ([email-masked])