Subject: Cross-breeding composting worms with garden-variety?

From: [email-masked] (Davis Bennett)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 18:40:00 GMT

I've just gotten into the vermiculture (worm-composting) hobby(?) and I 
was wondering if anyone knows about the ins and outs of introducing 
garden-variety worms into the same bin as the composting worms.  I know 
the specialized worms are better, but wouldn't producing a hybrid be a 
good cheap way to introduce more worms with a higher average production 
of soil?

...Just a question!

If you know the answer to this question, please e-mail me, or if you 
believe it to be beneficial, post to this newsgrou.

						Thanks in advance,
						Davis Bennett

===================================================================
* User Friendly Services -- Computer Tutoring, Research & Support *
*								  *
* Davis Bennett			(902) 492-3577 (Voice)		  *
* 6268 Shirley Street		(902) 429-2680 (Fax)		  *
* Halifax, Nova Scotia						  *
* CANADA    B3H 2N6		[email-masked]		  *
===================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:54:40 GMT

>believe it to be beneficial, post to this newsgrou.

This would be a great idea, except for one little problem --
the worms won't cross-breed.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:54:40 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:54:40 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 02:06:00 GMT

DB> I've just gotten into the vermiculture (worm-composting) hobby(?)
DB> and I was wondering if anyone knows about the ins and outs of
DB> introducing garden-variety worms into the same bin as the composting
DB> worms.  I know

Although many people believe that red worms are better for composting, 
regular old everyday (free!) earthworms work just fine for compost. You 
know the old saying.. "We're not the best, but we try harder" <g>

 * RM 1.3 01256 * * Reincarnation means you never get away with anything.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sonya Reid)
Date: 13 Apr 1995 21:13:47 GMT

If you're worried about whether or not they'll get along, worms is 
worms.  They're not smart enough to know the difference.
SR

Jen Mayer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: DB> I've just gotten into the vermiculture (worm-composting) hobby(?)
: DB> and I was wondering if anyone knows about the ins and outs of
: DB> introducing garden-variety worms into the same bin as the composting
: DB> worms.  I know

: Although many people believe that red worms are better for composting, 
: regular old everyday (free!) earthworms work just fine for compost. You 
: know the old saying.. "We're not the best, but we try harder" <g>

:  * RM 1.3 01256 * * Reincarnation means you never get away with anything.