Subject: Re: evening bloomer

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Platt)
Date: 10 Mar 1995 11:25:12 -0800

There are quite a few night-blooming flowers out there--I don't 
have an exhaustive list, but one of my catalogs (Shepherd's 
Garden Seeds) lists five varieties that open at dusk/night:  
Evening primrose (Oenothera pallida); Sweet-Scented Nicotiana 
(Nicotiana alata); Moonflowers (Ipomea alba); "Midnight Candy" 
Phlox (Zalusianskya capensis); and Four O'Clocks/Marvels of 
Peru (Mirabilis jalapa).  I believe there is also a variety of 
Stock that is night blooming, sometimes called "evening stock" 
or "night-blooming stock" (must have stayed up all night 
thinking of that one!)

Elizabeth Platt 
[email-masked]

[email-masked] (D416B/Dave Daulton/X4410/D/B) wrote:

>
>In article <[email-masked]>, Delled 
><[email-masked]> wrote:  Various evening primroses are 
>known for this.  These are Oenthera (sp?)  primroses, 
>not the Primula primroses.
>
>I also seem to recall that some daturas (angel 
>trumpets) do this.
>
>Dave Daulton, Columbus, Ohio
>
>>This summer I noticed an evening blooming  flowering 
>perennial during a
>>vacation in Rhode Island.  I sat mezmorized during the 
>latter part of the
>>day as each flower burst into bloom one at a time.  
>Can anyone give me
>>information on the name and sources of flowers with 
>this behavior?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Eve