Subject: Re: spiderplants

From: [email-masked] (Scott shy)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 13:09:10 EST

BIn article <1995Mar26.164903.42311@miavx1>, [email-masked]
> (Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum.) says:
>>
>>I'm sure this isn't the right newsgroup but I can't find a
> better one for
>>this question.  I got a variegated spiderplant 2 months back
> and lately
>>it's been turning brown rather quickly.  Why?  Does it need
> brighter light?
>>less light?  more water?  less water?  I've never cared for
> spider plants
>>before and was under the assumption they were basically indestructible!
>>Well, why doesn't *this* plant know that?!?!  =)
>>
>>--Dennis
>Dear Dennis,
     This seems to work for me. I have one motherplant(12" pot) and
seven babies(in 3-8"pots) that seem to be very happy. The "mom" is in an
east-facing window and the babies receive light from a frosted west
window. I usually water them about once a week whether they need it or
not and I make sure that the water actually seeps thru the bottom of the
pot before I stop watering. Maybe every other watering or so, I add just
a tiney bit of Miracle-Gro to the water to give them a treat and I
always make sure to clip off any brown leaves or leaf tips that I see.
Incidentally, the mom has 25-30 babies hanging from her and the babies
in pots came right from her about a year ago. I've heard that some of
the worst problems come from overwatering during the winter and that
some people like to use fish-emulsion fertilizer for good results.
Sometimes it's good to dust the leaves evey now and then too.
Good luck!
Tammy
> Good luck--
>they can be beautiful--and I hear beneficial to the enviro??
>
>Cheers...Colleen

         ok

Gateway Online ... 38 Line Multi-user Interactive Information System
Taylor, Michigan - (313)291-5571 2400 baud (313)291-5571 9600 baud
Sysops: Bill Mullen - Jeff Breitner