Subject: cactus-like EUPHORBIA - how do I get more?

From: Alice R Siegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 13:02:04 -0400

My mom has a cactus like euphorbia that my grandma got someplace in New
Mexico.  We want to start some more plants.  It does have some branching
as well as some little leaflets.  What is the best way to bet new
plants?  Thanks
Alice

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 20:13:18 -0500

"Cactus-like" Euphorbia?  What kind of cactus?  If it has branches, break one 
off and stick it in a pot.  I'll bet it grows.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 19:13:30 GMT

>as well as some little leaflets.  What is the best way to bet new

Take cuttings or divide the plants.  Either will work.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:52:36 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]  writes:

> In article <[email-masked]>, Alice R Siegler
>  <[email-masked]> writes:
> Break off a branch or two, and let it sit out in the air for a day
> or two.  This promotes "callusing".  Next, put the branch about
> half way into a well-drained soil mixture or into plain sand, water
> once in a while, and enjoy.  

Yes this should work fine. The plant may bleed white sticky sap a bit.
Spraying the wound with water to wash this off will help avoid marking.
 
Be careful not to touch Euphorbia sap as it is *HIGHLY* irritating to
skin, mucous membranes and extremely painful in the eyes. Many Euphorbia 
species contain various amounts of some quite nasty chemical defenses.

One reason I am skeptical of the often made claim that:
"Poinsettia (Euphorbia Pulcherrima) is not toxic - just irritant" Hmmm!

Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:52:36 +0000

Regards,

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:52:36 +0000

Regards,