Subject: Compost pile - dog poop okay?

From: [email-masked] (Glenna Feir)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 20:29:16 LOCAL

My husband asked me to post this....he picks up quite a bit of this disgusting 
stuff every morning (we have two good-sized dogs) and he wants to throw it on 
my just started compost pile.

Is this going to be good for it?

Thanks,

Glenna

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 95 09:17:57 -0600

> my just started compost pile.

It'll work, but it's not a great idea from a public health standpoint or
a stench standpoint.

I'd suggest digging a hole and making a proper anaerobic digester.  Many
"kennel management" books have plans, or you can buy a prefab unit
like a "doggie dooley" from a pet supply company like Omaha Vaccine or
Drs. Foster and Smith.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Boyd Zenner)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:47:02 GMT

> Is this going to be good for it?

NO.

Evidently there is some mechanism--the appallingly coy name of
which escapes me at the moment; think it might have been
something like "Doggie Doody"--that breaks down dog wastes,
enabling you to use the result on ornamental plants.

However, you should NOT use canine (or feline, or human) manure
on vegetable plants or anything else you might eventually
consume.

Boyd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 95 09:17:57 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Boyd Zenner)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:47:02 GMT

NO.

Boyd

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 12:03:12 PDT

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (
Glenna Feir) writes:
>I wouldn't.  You are asking for problems.  You will be attracting flies and
>rats to name a few.  I would bury the stuff in a spot in the garden that you
>don't use that often.
>
>You might be alright if you bury the stuff in the compost.  Deep inside.
>
>Don         [email-masked]
>*****************************************************************************

DON'T put dog or cat poop in your compost heap AT ALL if you intend to grow
food win soil treated with the compost.  Chances are excellent that your
compost heap will not reach temperatures high enough to kill microorganisms
carried in pet feces that can make you VERY SICK!!!  If you only intend to
put the stuff around your roses, knock yourselves out.

Curt Carlson
[email-masked]
Perseverance furthers.
I Ching

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 05:20:27 GMT

Don
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: Simon Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 19:59:31 -0700

In the Rodale book of Composting it mentions a special type of composter 
for dog poop.  I don't think you should put it in your regular compost pile
not only because it is stinky and may carry disease organisms harmful to 
people, but also because it makes the pile difficult to handle.  Oddly 
enough human urine is supposed to be good because it is, or should be, 
disease free and is high in nitrogen.  I haven't tried it.

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 20:11:30 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says:
>
>If you have to put dog poop in your compost pile, don't use the   
>finished product on your vegetable garden.  There's some debate   
>on whether or not a compost pile gets hot enough to kill anything   
>coming in with the dog poop, like worms or germs. 

Hi and I stop at doggie doo!  As a matter of fact, there are some plants
which are susceptble to Oranic matter borne pathogens.  Both Tulips and 
Peony are the major plants which get Botritis Blight which is deadly
to the plants they have infected.  

My Ideas on composting are to use oganic matter, leaves grass cuttings
( free of 2,4d ) 16-20-0 to feed the microorganism which decompose the 
compost.

( In Calgary, the humidity is very low and the rains are unpredictable 
this close to the Rockies. )  Most people work peat into their beds.

more in the next post

Derryl

---

From: "curt carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 12:03:12 PDT

Curt Carlson

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 05:20:27 GMT

Don

---

From: Simon Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 19:59:31 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 20:11:30 GMT

more in the next post

Derryl

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 20:11:30 GMT

more in the next post

Derryl

---

From: Harry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 95 14:36:05 -0500

As a young kid we three dogs and I recall that their manure mixed with wood ash
worked well for growing a small lot (half acre) of field corn.
 It was used more as a starter than anything.

---

From: Harry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 95 14:36:05 -0500

---

From: Harry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 95 14:36:05 -0500

---

From: Emily Dashiell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 10:57:59 -0700

ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Local Extension Svc recommends AGAINST any pet feces 
in compost.  

                                                         Pogo was right..
                                                           [email-masked]
                                                           Emily Dashiell

---

From: [email-masked] (Diveanddig)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 14:41:53 -0400

Right, you should put it in your compost.  Again, uncomposted feces can
contain pathogens and parasites.  Compost it and let nature make it good. 

Cats and dogs like to dig in gardens also.

---

From: Emily Dashiell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 10:57:59 -0700

Pogo was right..
                                                           [email-masked]
                                                           Emily Dashiell

---

From: [email-masked] (Diveanddig)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 14:41:53 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Polar)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 20:22:07 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Emily Dashiell 
<[email-masked]> writes: 

>                                                         Pogo was 
right..
[email-masked]
>                                                           Emily 
Dashiell
>> No, no, please!!!  Dog poop can contain a parasite which can make its 
way through the soil into the food and into your (or your child's) eyes, 
and cause eye disease and blindness!

A number of years ago, the L.A. Times had a thorough, and frightening, 
article on the hazards of turning an empty lot into a neighborhood 
garden.  It's not enough to clear off the dog poop, cans, condoms and 
other trash.  The soil has to be thoroughly sterilized by (if memory 
serves) spreading clear plastic over it until the sun burns out the 
parasites.

INHO, stick to nursery-purchased, sterilized, chicken manure (the most 
potent, but also must be used with care to avoid burning), or steer 
manure (can be strong & salty; also use w/care).

Better still, save your table scraps (you probably do that anyway) and 
mingle w/the grass & other compost materials.

Polar

---

From: Donald Kackman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 23:42:31 GMT

>  It was used more as a starter than anything.

Whenever using animal products (manure or table scraps) in compost make absolutely 
sure that they are completely composted (at least a year) before applying to vegetable 
crops. The bacteria in meat and manure, if ingested can cause some pretty nasty illnesses.

Don Kackman

---

From: [email-masked] (teresa m. esch)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 01:19:39 GMT

So what about all these people who have trouble keeping the
cats and dogs out of their gardens?  I 'm not going to
deliberatly put the dog feces in the garden, but it can't be
THAT bad...

teresa
--

---

From: [email-masked] (SGerngross)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 23:52:57 -0400

NO!.  Unless you are POSITIVE you can maintain a super-hot pile for a good
length of time, forget it.  You're risking transmitting parasites and
disease to yourself.  Actually, forget fecal matter of any meat-eating
animal.  Same reason.

Regards,

---

From: [email-masked] (SGerngross)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 23:52:57 -0400

Regards,