Subject: Re: PESTY APHIDS-----HELP!!!

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 03:22:00 GMT

Danny Heuman wrote:
DH> I threw out all my plants and the soil since everything was growing
DH> in window boxes.  Now, a new summer is coming and I would like to
DH> try again.  But, my window boxes are wood.  Can I be certain the
DH> aphids will not return?  Or, should I do something to clean the
DH> boxes to insure an aphid free year?

First of all, growing in containers can be difficult in that it's 
somehow harder to maintain good healthy soil in them than it is when 
you're just growing in the ground. That may be the first problem. Plants 
will resist disease & attract fewer pests if they are in healthy soil, 
and if you've given them proper nutrition.

Starting with good healthy soil mixed with compost is a great start, 
fertilizing the soil with the fertilizer of your choice is the next step 
and there are some excellent organic fertilizers available. Finally 
should the aphids appear, introduce ladybugs one evening after dusk so 
the birds don't eat them right away.

If you're growing edible plants, interplanting different types together 
serves will make it harder for a pest to get a solid foothold on your 
plants. Onions and some fragrant herbs are a good form of natural pest 
control.

Good luck!
 * RM 1.3 01256 * * I got everything but the part after "Now listen closely".

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert David Giannasi)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 22:04:20 GMT

I've heard that planting garlic with roses and other
aphid-prone plants solves the aphid problem.  I do
not have first-hand knowledge; I'm trying the garlic 
cure for the first time this year.  Praying mantis egg
pods (and the resulting spawn) are also supposed to do
the trick.

--

Robert Giannasi
Dept. of French Language and Literature
University of Virginia

---

From: [email-masked] (E M Eades)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 12:50:48 -0400

I had a horrible aphid problem last spring with my lupines. They were so
covered you could almost see the surface of the stems moving. I tried all
kinds of things that I had around the house (including garlic, which has
been mentioned in various books as an aphid deterrent) to no avail. This
spring I went out and the new lupines were starting to be gross again, so
I went and got some Safer soap. One application and it's now 6 weeks
later, and the aphids have not been back. I am a convert. Gonna try it
later this summer on the artichokes -- that's the other thing that they
liked.

Ellen Eades ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Birdie007)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 23:32:58 -0400

My aunt in Germany swears that planting lavender with or next to roses
keeps the aphids at bay.  I tend to believe her, she has an exquisite
garden.
Anyway, I battle aphids continuously.  Since I heard about my aunt, I have
placed a few small lavender bushes around my roses, and I try to hose them
off very regularly, to knock the aphids off.  Since I started this, I've
not had problems with aphids....knock on wood!!!
Good luck, and go get 'em!
Stephanie
Birdie007