Subject: nasty bamboo roots

From: [email-masked] (Silkee254)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 15:41:11 -0500

hi anybody--i had gardeners cut down a swath of 30 ft. high 
bamboo that bordered my bricked in side patio. now i am left with massive
root balls too hard to penetrate with a spade, or even a hatchet.

 i have controlled new growth by fertilizing, watering and then roundup
application, but am left with a 3 ft. by 20 ft. linear area of a solid,
impenetrable root mass. 

the bamboo was originally privacy screen, but was so messy, i couldn't
stand it anymore. now we have zero privacy from our neighbors(what a
shock) yet i can't plant a replacement hedge because of the remaining root
mass. 

the side yard is inaccesible to heavy machinery. i've thought of a jack
hammer, of building a raised bed( but i doubt anything could grow through
these roots) help! any suggestions??

---

From: [email-masked] (John Springer)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 14:58:19 -0800

<snip bamboo woes>
: the side yard is inaccesible to heavy machinery. i've thought of a jack
: hammer, of building a raised bed( but i doubt anything could grow through
: these roots) help! any suggestions??
Here in Seattle, the people at Bamboo gardens will remove LIVING
specimens for free, if dead, could be a problem.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:16:36 GMT

>these roots) help! any suggestions??

How about a heavy-duty rototiller?

If that doesn't work, go to the hardware store and buy reagent grade
sulphuric acid.  Using a bore-plate drill bit, drill one-inch holes
into the root mass as deeply as you can, and fill with the acid.  Wait
a week, and the roots should be more amenable to removal.  BTW,
be VERY careful with this acid -- and keep all kids and pets out of
the area while you are working.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (John Springer)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 14:58:19 -0800

<snip bamboo woes>

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:16:36 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:16:36 GMT

Chris Owens