Subject: Clemantis

From: [email-masked] (Michael Glenn)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 01:37:32 -0500

I have Jackmani, Henryi, Nelly Moser that I planted last year. If I 
remember correctly, some Clemantis you cut all the way back this time of 
year, while other you only give a light haircut.

Could someone tell me where thies fit into the pruning regiment.

Thank you.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Diveanddig)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 22:03:59 -0500

Here is a post I made on AOL last month concerning clematis pruning.

Jackmanii is a group three Clematis and should be pruned to just above the
first pair of strong buds - about 6 to 12 inches from the ground every
winter.  They bloom on new growth and are late blooming.  These are
vigorous vines and can add new growth of up to one inch a day and will
grow higher and thicker than the previous growth before blooming - it
might seem drastic but trust me and DO IT!  Group three should be pruned
early at the end of January to the first half of Feb (zone 6). 

Nellie Moser is a group two Clematis and will bloom early on buds forming
close to last years growth so only the deadwood should be pruned on
established vines after the buds swell enough to differentiate between
deadwood and live vine.  Newly planted group two  vines should be pruned
severely to 12 inches high  the first Feb.,  40 inches the second Feb. and
deadwood thereafter. This will give you vines with multiple main shoots
from the ground and a well shaped plant that is not top heavy.  Deadwood
pruning is done for esthetic purposes only.  

February is a good time to fertilize Clematis with a slow release
fertilizer and they like neutral to basic PH soil so,  if needed, apply
lime in Feb. also.

Bill Bird  zone 6  NY