Subject: Re: New Homeowner Needs A

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 95 23:57:46 EST

Folks other than *licensed* landscape architects can also design
superb gardens.

I spent several years as a designer for large design-build firms in
the Midwest, and met some very creative and talented designers, most
of whom are graduates of landscape architecture programs.  The best
designers know more about perennials and organic gardening than the
vast majority of landscape architects.  They'd be lost trying to
design for a golf course, hotel or college, but so what?

Regarding the alleged problem with lack of diversity of plants used by
design-build firms; there's more to landscape architecture than mere
planting (just as there's more to architecture than carpentry).  I'm
sure we've all seen beautiful gardens with low species diversity, and
awful gardens without two of the same plant anywhere (all surrounding
an ill-kept lawn...).  Some of the nicest residential work I ever did
was design-build.

I agree COMPLETELY with Mr. Lowery that newcomers to garden design
should seek assistance from *professionals* (designers or landscape
architects, as appropriate).  It's amazingly hard (!) to turn a bare
or poorly designed site into an attractive landscape that brings
people outdoors and doesn't make them crazy with maintenance.

Then again, if the design calls for a combination of earthwork,
construction (with wood and/or concrete), planting, lighting, and (in
some areas) irrigation, then the best course is to hire a licensed
landscape architect (like me, for instance).

Richard Shiell, M.L.A., ASLA            [email-masked]

IA>Be very wary of designers who work strictly with one nursery.  Many times
IA>your plant selection is limited to what the nursery typically carries in
IA>stock. This is the reason you
IA>get a "discount" on the design work.

IA>Also unless you and your wife are comfortable with design decisions and
IA>plant materials, I caution against checking out books from the library on
IA>landscape design and doing it yourself. Many times things that look good
IA>in a book or magazine turn out to be inappropiate or maintence nightmares
IA>for your particular site. I'm not saying don't look at books and
IA>magazines because they're great for ideas. I'm saying be careful about
IA>simply lifting an idea straight out and plopping it into the back yard.

IA>I suggest that you consider hiring a Landscape Architect (LA) licensed by
IA>the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA). Anyone can call
IA>him/herself a landscape designer. A licensed landscape architect has
IA>graduated from an nationally accreditated program, worked under an
IA>already licensed LA and has passed a licensing exam.

IA>I agree with a previous post that you should contact past clients and
IA>look over portfolios. You should also find out how the LA approaches the
IA>design process.  A good one will ask a lot of questions. Questions like
IA>what your hobbies are, how much and what type of entertaining  you do,
IA>what ammenties you'd like (pool, patio, etc.) and what a typical week is
IA>like for your family. A good LA will also consider your lot as a whole,
IA>how it fits into the neighborhood, the architectural style of the house,
IA>etc. All these factors will be weighed in during the design process.

IA>If construction and installation costs are a factor (and when aren't
IA>they!), tell the LA that you want to see how the design would be
IA>implemented over time. Any good LA will be happy to help you decide what
IA>parts of the dAny good LA will be happy to help you decide what parts of
IA>the design should be started first and what can wait until next year or
IA>in five years. Also ask how long before you can expect a preliminary
IA>design. If the answer is "Tomorrow or the next day at the latest."  DON'T
IA>hired them. Theywhat can wait until next year or in five years. Also ask
IA>how long before you can expect a preliminary design. If the answer is
IA>"Tomorrow or the next day at the latest."  DON'T hired them. They have
IA>not taken the time to do a good job.

IA>An LA can help you make good decisions about your property by guiding
IA>your wants and needs with design principles. While the cost involved in
IA>hiring an LA may seem to be an unnessecary expense, you can spend alot of
IA>money on your landscape over the course of five to ten years.  Check the
IA>phone book for a licensed Landscape Architect.  Their name will be
IA>followed by ASLA. If you have trouble finding one in your area e-mail me
IA>and get some names of LA's in your area together for you.

IA>Toney Lowery--A Landscape Architect (as soon as I finish my thesis,
IA>graduate, serve my apprenticeship and pass the two day test that 90% fail
IA>the first time out)
IA>[email-masked]
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     WWW.KERN.COM
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     TELNET DJ.KERN.COM
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     FTP FTP.KERN.COM