Subject: Re: Crocus thinning?

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 08:21:07 GMT

>Hello fellow gardeners,

>I would like to thin these crocuses and plant thenm
>elsewhere in the yard in hopes that they will
>bloom.  My question is when should I do the trans-
>planting (and how)?

>Thanks for any info. you may be able to share
>on this.

>Robert

Wait for the folage to die back.  It should take about another month.  When 
the foliage has died and turned light brown you can dig up the crocus and then 
plant them anywhere you like.  The sooner the better.  A little dust with a 
fungicide would also help.  Also a large scoop of compost would be great.  You 
can plant them fairly close together. About an inch or two apart in more than 
enough.

>--

>Robert Giannasi
>Dept. of French Language and Literature
>University of Virginia

*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 08:21:07 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Cynthia Donahey)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 23:48:06 -0500

Don Bonner ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >Hello fellow gardeners,

: >I would like to thin these crocuses and plant thenm
: >elsewhere in the yard in hopes that they will
: >bloom.  My question is when should I do the trans-
: >planting (and how)?

: >Thanks for any info. you may be able to share
: >on this.

: >Robert

: Wait for the folage to die back.  It should take about another month.  When 
: the foliage has died and turned light brown you can dig up the crocus and then 
: plant them anywhere you like.  The sooner the better.  A little dust with a 
: fungicide would also help.  Also a large scoop of compost would be great.  You 
: can plant them fairly close together. About an inch or two apart in more than 
: enough.

: >--

: >Robert Giannasi
: >Dept. of French Language and Literature
: >University of Virginia

: *****************************************************************************
: From each according to their abilities. : To each according to their
needs. :  [email-masked] :
*****************************************************************************
I just scoop them up before or after they bloom and plant them elsewhere
in the garden from any area that looks crowded. I've done this with scilla
also. I understand this is about the only way to get a good start with
aconite; store-bought bulbs don't usually grow..  I just take the dirt
along.  Occasionally I will slice up a bulb, but it doesn't seem to make
much difference.