Subject: Trellis Suggestions

From: [email-masked] (The Conways)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 20:59:47 GMT

I'm just finishing up a trellis which I'm planning to locate
on a sunny side of my house and wondered if folks could give
me some suggestions for flowering vines. 

I've tried clematis before, but either the plant itself wasn't
too vigorous or it got too much shade along my fence in the 
back yard and it didn't really do much (at least not yet!).

I'm not much of a rose person either. But any suggestions for 
my new (first!) trellis would be appreciated. Thanks!

Karen

---

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 07:25:00 GMT

TC> I'm just finishing up a trellis which I'm planning to locate on a
TC> sunny side of my house and wondered if folks could give me some
TC> suggestions for flowering vines.

Scarlet Runner Beans are neat.. they climb up to 12' and flower 
beautifully.

 * RM 1.3 01256 * * If you can't give up sex, get married and taper off...

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 20:46:54 -0500

Don't count out roses.  Some are virtually carefree, very hardy, fragrant,
etc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy B Soules)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 02:12:39 GMT

Jen Mayer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: TC> I'm just finishing up a trellis which I'm planning to locate on a
: TC> sunny side of my house and wondered if folks could give me some
: TC> suggestions for flowering vines.

Clematis is nice.  Lots of different colors available. You might need to 
plant a ground cover near it's base is it likes sunny locations with it's 
"feet" shaded.

You can inexpensively plant morning glory seeds but beware that they may 
come back every year and be a pest later if you want to plant something 
else later.

Roses work too if you are into their care and upkeep.

Enjoy!

Carol Soules

---

From: [email-masked] (B GOOGLE)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 20:46:54 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy B Soules)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 02:12:39 GMT

Enjoy!

Carol Soules

---

From: [email-masked] (Elena A Christofides)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 14:17:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

>Don't count out roses.  Some are virtually carefree, very hardy, fragrant,

Which ones? Can you give some specific species suggestions. I've been reading 
up quite a bit to find a good variety that doesn't need fertilized, sprayed and
pampered to death. I saw that the older varieties are better than the modern 
hybrids, but then when I would look up a particular flower, it wasn't that 
helpful about discerning between the better behaved ones and the not so 
diesease resistant ones.

Elena