Subject: Jerry Baker's methods

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 95 05:38:54 EST

IN>> This group has dissed Jerry Baker quite heartily.  Has anyone out there
IN>> tried some of his recommendations?
IN>>
IN>> This is what I jotted down as a lawn care recipe from his PBS show:
IN>>
IN>> 1 can beer
IN>> 1 cup liquid dish soap
IN>> 1 cup ammonia
IN>> 1 cup lawn food
IN>> 1/2 cup molasses
IN>>
IN>> Mix the above in a hose end sprayer.  Spray the lawn before noon, once a
IN>> month.
IN>>
IN>> I can see reasons for each of the ingredients (except maybe the molasses
IN>>  Has anybody tried anything like this?
IN>>
IN>>
IN>> John Koch ([email-masked] or [email-masked])
IN>>

        First off  I don't wish to sound like I am bad mouthing Jerry
Baker's methods of gardening,  However being one that only uses organic
and natural stuff, I am not too happy with his information. The above
formula  is correct in that each ingrident has special chemical
proerties that effect the lawn into growing from the alcohol in the beer
and ammonia(translates into nitrogen for the plants, plus speeds up
injestion ) to the molasses(sugar is need by plants, plants convert
light into sugars to be used , molassess provides aready source of sugar
for them to use).  I have made the above but totally organic. Heres my
problem: the beer for example has over 72 different chemicals,
additives, colorings, etc. If you make your own beer thats different and
beer is great to use on lawns, plants etc because its fermented sugars!
gives plants a short boast. But others wise its store bought and guess
where the chemicals go!  have you read the ingridents in liquid dish
washing soap? I would never spray this on my organic lawn! there are
many natural soaps which work better. Soap is a wetting agent which
allows food and water to get farthur into the soil and plants. Am I
making any sense here folks. Do you alll get the ideal? Its great to go
to the grocery store to buy your organic garden supplies. I have been
teaching people how to do that since 1972. But read the ingredients!
make like your eating it! less pollution into earth, people. You might
like to read my new book :natural pest control by andrew lopez
(1-800-354-9296)
Hope this helps
yours

---
Sent via WorldLink on 04/05/95 at 05:32:58.
From: The Invisible Gardener
      Malibu, CA
      Information on organics.

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Burke)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 14:10:11 GMT

Got a question re: Jerry Baker's program.  I've seen his show a few
times, and from the discussion here it sounds like some of his
kitchen cabinet sprays might have value, though I would probably
end up making my own formulations eventually.  ANYWAY.  Has anybody
seen the sprayer he uses in stores or catalogs?  On the show he
pours his gunks into an old 2-litre Pepsi bottle, which he 
attaches to his sprayer and goes to town.  I've checked the
catalogs I have, our local nurserys, and home center stores and
haven't found anything like it.  Some of the more readily available
hose-end sprayers don't look so bad, but they don't hold more than 
a quart and seem more designed for the concentrated chemical 
compounds.  Anybody seen this sprayer anywhere?  Thanks.

Patrick Burke
Social Sciences Computing
The University of Chicago