Subject: Re: Central Texas Summer - What Survives?

From: [email-masked] (LnThomson)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 09:13:52 -0500

Get Neil Sperry's Texas Gardening for a good idea of what does well here. 
Either plan to water heavily, or not have veggies.  Of course, our native
wildflowers do beautifully here, and roses love it.  I'm down in San
Antonio, and last summer we had maybe 4 months over 100, and hot weather
on either end.

Good luck,

Lynn Thomson, San Antonio, Zone 9 this year

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 20:18:30 -0600

Nasturtiums will craok in the summer heat, and tomatoes and peppers may 
cease bearing until fall.  Summers here tend to be hot and dry, although you 
can count on at least one spell of very hot, very humid weather, generally 
in July.  The only veggies that really thrive here in the summer are okra,
sweet potatoes, peanuts, and melons.  You can greow some scrumptious 
watermelons and cantalopes here.  Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme grow well
here too, although parsley can get a bit rank in hot weather.  Mints do well
here given enough water, but should be harvested and dried while the waether is
still cool.  Mint gets awfully rank pretty early.
An accurate description of the waether in Texas?  Just wait a while and it 
will change.  Every story you have ever heard about the weather here is true.

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 20:18:30 -0600