Subject: Re: planting for an oak barrel

From: [email-masked] (Major)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 00:48:52 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes: 

>
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Allan Herle) writes:
>> Can anyone out there offer me a suggestion? I have half of an old oak 
>> wine barrel, suitable to be used as a planter box. I want very much to 
>> place it by our swimming pool and use it as a focal point. Because I 
>> already have several regular planters designated for annuals and colour 
>> displays I am interested in something to place in the barrel that is 
>> fairly easy maintenance i.e.an evergreen of a sort or perhaps a large showy 
>> summer blooming perinnal. I am concerned because of the shallowness of 
>> the barrel (2-3feet deep) and the winterkill factor, as the Pacific 
>> Northwest can have quite cool and cold winters like the rest of North 
>> America. Once the barrel is ofcourse full of gravel and dirt moving it to 
>> a sheltered location or indoors will be quite a problem, so winterkill is 
>> a factor.  If anyone can offer some advice I would be grateful, spring is 
>> upon us and the time for planting is here and I am anxious to show off my 
>> barrel.  Please email me a response at [email-masked]
>> Again thamks for the help. Jennifer Herle eager gardener.
>
>Well, you might want to consider NOT planting the barrel.  Instead, plant
>a bunch of winter annuals, a bunch of spring annuals, a bunch of summer
>annuals, in plastic pots, perhaps in the 4 to 6" diameter range.  To "plant"
>the barrel, place the pots (no, *jam* the pots) as closely together as 
>possible in the barrel, with the bases of the pots resting on soil or
>gravel, and the tops of the pots a couple of inches below the rim of the
>barrel.  Cover the pots with sufficient mulch that the pots are hidden,
>water and fertilize well.  (Don't forget to drill a few pretty
>good sized holes in the base of the barrel first!  at least 5  1" holes,
>please!).
>
>When the current crop (say geraniums) starts looking ratty because it's
>too cold, pull those pots out, and replace them with something that
>takes the cold better... perhaps pansies....
>
>Yes, I know, it's cheating... but it sure can look nice!
>
>Kay Klier  [email-masked]
>
>

Double check the hardiness, but a bush basil can form a nice tight almost topiary
looking plant. Smells pretty good and looks kind of Mediterranian. In fact, a lot of 
the herbs are interesting specimens for containers, and they love that sun.