Subject: Burn spot in garden, what will it do?

From: [email-masked] (William Lewis)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 06:29:23 -0500

I have a spot in my garden that was used as recently as last spring
for burning dead wood, honeysuckle vines, etc... (not trash).
I was wondering what this area will do to the plants that get put there.
I tilled the garden last weekend to about 6-8" deep. The area got
pretty well mixed with the surrounding soil, but ash still remains,
and I'm sure it will be more noticeable after a couple of rains.
Will this area be too acidic or basic? is there anything that I should
add to compensate, or should I just not worry about it.

BL
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 05:31:03 GMT

>add to compensate, or should I just not worry about it.

Don't plant an acid-loving plant in the ash, it is highly alkaline.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 21:19:39 -0600

Don't worry about it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 05:31:03 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 21:19:39 -0600

Don't worry about it.

---

From: Paula M Craft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 19:33:23 -0700

We routinely burn our woody debris on our gardens because it is the 
safest place to do it.  The main concern is that a hot, hot fire can 
sterilize the soil but we amend and till the soil well enough that I 
think we have avoided that problem.  I also think it can be an advantage 
because the burning can get rid of problem microbes.  As far as the ash, 
we spread ash from the fireplace on the gardens each spring but it's not 
alot.  You may want to spread extra compost in the area but I would guess 
it won't be a problem.

- Paula M. Craft