Subject: Citrus trees for SF Bay area??

From: "Julie A. Pascal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 06:42:48 GMT

Hi folks,

My parents are visiting from frigid (still) Minnesota and would like
to plant a fruit tree in my yard while they are here.

My neighbors have orange trees that seem to do well so I've decided
on citrus.  I'd really appreciate any advice on the best varieties
and where to purchase them.  (I live in the North Bay, but am willing
to drive a _little_ to buy the tree.)

I have no experience with citrus but I'd like to get a vaiety that is
well suited to growing in this climate specifically.

Please e-mail any replies since the volume on this group is so
great that I might miss responses.  I'm looking forward to lots of
friendly advice since I'm showing my Mom the "Net" and want to
really impress her!(smile)

Sure wish it would quit raining!

Julie

---

From: [email-masked] (Walter Bridgewater)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 09:47:11 GMT

>Sure wish it would quit raining!

In the North Bay, you might try lemon, as it has more cold tolerance than
oranges. But since your neighbors orange tree made it okay through the
big freeze we had a few years ago okay, then orange should be fine. 
Looking at your neighbors trees & how well they do is a very good
way to decide. 

Just look for a sale ad in the newspaper, 
I've notice citrus on sale the last couple
of weeks here in the South Bay. (Like a garden center at Woolworth's,
Kmart, or Payless, or a hardware store like Home Depot or Orchard Supply)

Wally

---

From: [email-masked] (Walter Bridgewater)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 10:00:31 GMT

I've made my first try a fruit tree grafting several weeks ago. At the
seminar they said to use rubber ties with talc or para-film to tie
the graft. I was unable to find them in any store. In one store, the
gentleman in the nusery department offered me some white tape he uses
to tie flower arrangements, since he thought that was the closest thing
to para-film he could think of.

Well, after all the rains in California the last couple of weeks here, 
I've seen what looks like mold growing under the tape & Doc Farewell's
Tree Seal & Heal.

Question #1, Should I open the graft seal of paint & tape & try to get
             rid of the mold, or just leave it alone?

Question #2, Any idea of where or how to buy para-film or those rubber
             band ties with talcum powder on them?

Thanks,

Wally

---

From: [email-masked] (Matt Heffron)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 11:42:15 -0800

>to para-film he could think of.

The white tape isn't even close to parafilm, but it may be good for tying the
graft.  What we (local CRFG chapter) refer to as "grafting tape" is a white
PVC tape (like electrical tape, but white, no adhesive, and a bit thinner).
You use that to make the structural connection of the graft (hold it together
while the graft heals).  Parafilm is, as it's name implies, a parafin-LIKE
film, originally used in (bio-)chemical labs, to seal containers for a short
time.  In grafting, it is stretched until it is quite thin, and then wrapped
around the entire scion, from below the graft to the end of the scion.  This
is to provide a moisture seal to keep the scion from drying out before the
graft "takes."  You don't need to remove it, the new growth can easily push
right through it and it eventually breaks down after serving its purpose.

...
>             band ties with talcum powder on them?

It happens that a friend of mine sells Parafilm-F for grafting and budding.
  1 inch x 90 ft roll (approx. 180 grafts)
       1 roll  = $2.25 + $1.25 shipping
       5 rolls = $10.00 + $3.50 shipping
  Riverside Fruit Growers
  22120 Quail Call Dr.
  Moreno Valley, CA  92557

(I have no financial interest in Riverside Fruit Growers.
 I'm just a friend of the owner.)

Lots of grafting/budding/fruit-growing expertise is available in 
the California Rare Fruit Growers.  A non-profit organization with
members world-wide.  Email me for more info.

Matt Heffron
Inland Empire Chapter Chairman
California Rare Fruit Growers

-- 
Matt Heffron           [email-masked]
Beckman Instruments, Inc.         voice: (714) 961-3128
2500 N. Harbor Blvd. MS X-10, Fullerton, CA 92634-3100
I don't speak for Beckman Instruments (or CRFG) unless they say so.