Subject: Help! My spathipyllum is dying!

From: [email-masked] (Eric Peterson)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 16:56:37 GMT

I know next to nothing about plants, but was gifted with a lovely 
green-leafed plant sent to my office - with no instructions on care.  
The plant lady who comes around our office told me to give it three cups 
of water once a week (and told me later it was a spathipyllum (?)).

So anyway, a week later, before I actually watered it, the poor thing 
drooped alarmingly, so I watered it and it started to perk up all day 
long.  The next day I came into the office and it was drooping again.  I 
watered it again before the weekend - then came in Monday and it's much 
worse now - many yellow leaves.  Facts: it's in a windowless office with 
neon lighting, but the lights may easily have been off all weekend.  
Tonight I'm going to take it home so it can get real sunlight.

Questions:
1.  	Is there a common name for this plant?
2.	How can I nurse it back to health?
3.	Should I cut off the dead stuff?
4.	Will sitting on a radiator harm it?  Does it like or hate 
direct sunlight?
5.	Will putting it out on the fire escape harm it (weather has been 
between 40 and 60 degreese lately)?
6.	Was the plant lady right with her care instructions?

Thanks for your help!  - eric peterson