Subject: screening plants

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Hagan)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 17:05:14 UNDEFINED

Hi, new from Northeastern Ohio.  
We live on a corner lot (shaped like a very wide piece of pie.  On the 
highest hill in the county with soil that is mostly made of sand (at 
least in front).  We have no trees in the front yard, and it faces west and 
dries out in even our few hot days of summer.  The road curves so that anyone 
driving up the hill gets a panoramic view of our house.    I would like to 
plant something that will (before I am too old to care) eventually screen my 
second floor bedroom windows.  A consideration besides the sandy nature of the 
soil, I kinda want to keep the panorama of sky we get when standing in the 
yard.   I have looked up ornamentals like dog wood.  But the 93 winter (zone 
3 in a usual zone 5) was not kind to them in NE Ohio so I hate to risk that.  
A local landscaper suggested Lilacs.  Which sounds neat, there are some white 
ones in my Wayside Catalog and a striking yellow.  However, I am sensitive to 
heavy perfumes and don't want to have them wafting in my bedroom window from 
now on.  Any other suggestions?  No invasive root systems either.  House 
siding is dirty gold.  Thanks for any tips.  
Betsy   Kent State Univ Library