Subject: Cotton anyone?

From: Melissa Charron <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 18:20:18 GMT

On a recent trip, I picked up a small bag of something called seed
cotton at an airport souvenir shop.  I would like to grow a few 
plants from the seeds it contains, but need some information before
I get started:
---Will it work at all? Does seed cotton undergo any processing that 
   would inhibit germination?
---Conditions required for germination (light, darkness, 
   pre-treatments, temperature, etc.) Germination time (days)
---Conditions for growing plants (full sun and warm temperatures??)
---Size of plants
---When to harvest
---Is cotton annual or perennial? Is it hardy in Zone 7?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help fill in the blanks.

MC

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey A. Del Col)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 13:18:39 GMT

>---Is cotton annual or perennial? Is it hardy in Zone 7?

Cotton requires a long, warm, growing season; that's why it grows
best in the deep South and in California.  

Presumably, what you have is some sort of ornamental cotton.  Don't
expect much of a harvest.  

Cotton is a heavy feeder; it rapidly
exhausts the soil.  It is also susceptible to attack by boll weevils
and quite a few other creepy-crawlies.

Harvest it when the bolls open.

I don't think it will survive a frost.

J. Del Col
-- 
Jeff Del Col   * "Sleeplessness is like metaphysics.
A-B College    *  Be there."
Philippi, WV   * 
               * ----Charles Simic----

---

From: [email-masked] (Marge Pritchett)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 16:59:22 GMT

Melissa-
	I have grown a few cotton plants for the past few years
just for fun. To answer your questions:
No pretreatment of the seeds, plant when warm (Richmond, VA)
about May 1, Full sun, Hibiscus-like pretty blooms in shades of
yellow and pink,get about 3-4' tall, may need staking, is an
annual, harvest in late fall - some cotton balls may get moldy
if we have a rainy fall so watch daily and pick when open and
fluffy. Seeds take about 2 wks. to germinate - plant 3/4" deep.
	The pods are pretty on wreaths with the cotton on them
or without the cotton they take on a real different look.
	I hope they work for you.
-- 
       @      @      @       @      @      @      @      @
  @    |   @  |   @  |   @   |   @  |   @  |   @  |   @  |  @
 \|/  \|/ \|/\|/ \|/\|/ \|/ \|/ \|/\|/ \|/\|/ \|/\|/ \|/\|/\|/
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey A. Del Col)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 13:18:39 GMT

J. Del Col

---

From: [email-masked] (Marge Pritchett)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 16:59:22 GMT

Melissa-