Subject: Re: African pygmi goats

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:13:08 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes: 

>
>Does anyone have thoughts or experience on/with African pygmi goats.  An
>acquaintance has had a pair for about 2 yrs and he says they've done a
>wonderful job of cleaning up his brambles and poison ivy.  He also says
>they're easy to keep and are not "dangerous" to children.
> 
>I like the idea of a set of p.i. gobblers that are easy to care for.  I'd
>be interested in other opinions (or thoughts).  Thanks...  Gerry
>

Make sure your area is zoned for keeping these goats; they
are classified as domestic livestock, and many suburban zoining
regulations prohibit keeping them.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Martha Frost)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 18:27:09 PST

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject: African pygmi goats
>Date: Fri, 17 Mar 95 18:55:30 -0500

>be interested in other opinions (or thoughts).  Thanks...  Gerry
I found that I really like goats a lot, especially after getting our pygmies. 
I would like to make a couple of points. The first is, these are not machines 
that eat anything. Goats turn out to be rather fussy, but of course their 
favorite food is tree bark and shrub leaves. There are many things that are 
poisonous to them, which they will usually avoid-but not azalea or 
rhododendrons,for example. They are social animals, so just keeping just one 
goat is rather inhumane IMHO. They are not easier to take care of than cats 
and dogs. If you do not have enough brush, or it is too green, you will have 
to supplement their food-and, heaven forbid, NOT dogfood, like my ignorant 
neighbors did to the pygmy they dumped on us. They need to have their hooves 
trimmed regularly, and shots for tetanus once a year. I recommend the family 
gets booster tetanus shots as well. They need fresh clean water. They are very 
rigid as far as schedules and will yell if you deviate from one. They will 
yell if they are frightened. Male goats need to be castrated because of the 
stench and their aggressiveness, and should be done as kids. It is major 
surgery later. Dehorning-should be done as kids, or else they could bleed to 
death. We left horns on-hurts like blazes but make good handles. Females get 
udder problems, so you have to milk them if swollen. Very difficult to learn 
from a book, but it can be done. Hang out with your friend's goats, see if you 
like them, before getting them. Their temperament is rather like a cat's. They 
absolutely hate rain, and can knock down any fence except swine fencing. 
Tethering them can lead to sunstroke. Hope this helps you decide.
Regards, Martha
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:13:08 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Martha Frost)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 18:27:09 PST

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Wingert)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 21:53:45 GMT

>  I lovcd pur goats but I would NEVER own a goat again.
>                                                                   kay
I think this last sentence summarizes every goat owner I've ever
met. My brother has a goat. It has:

Let out pet rabbits out of their pen (it figured out how to unlatch
their cage. Then ate their food (it had plenty of its own) , crawled
in the cage, while the rabbits
ran loose.

Killed several trees. 

Found out that empty soda cans still contain a couple drops of soda.
When it would escape, it would go into the garage,and rip open the garbage
bags containing cans for recycling.  It would then roll the cans with
its nose and lick the drops of soda that came out. You'd come home
and find cans scattered all over the place.

Jump from car to car in the driveway.

tried to jump through a window into the house.( The window held, so
it fell to the ground).

And numerous other exploits.
Goats are very friendly, but remember, they can escape from practically 
any pen and can cause a lot of mischief.

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 11:52:43 GMT

>be interested in other opinions (or thoughts).  Thanks...  Gerry

Make sure before you start that you have a fence and shed for them.  Once they figure out they
can escape your fence they will always figure out how to get out.  Ours we suffer the electric fence
just to escape.
  They also ended up stripping the garden and eating $350 worth of fruit trees (2 goats) in less than
3 hours.  Some of our friends gave up and only fenced the garden and let them run.  They got into that also.
   Basically, they are fun loving and curious.  They love to go for walks with you and if given the chance live
in your home.  They perch on cars, eat upolstry, nibble clothes on the clothesline, and sneak into the house
if your door is open.
  They can be excellent pets.  I would further recomend that you get a bell colar for one of the goats.  it
makes them easier to track and they will come to the bell sound.  Keep their grain in a locked (paddle locked) shed
cause ours learned how to open doors and one died of  eating to much grain.
  I lovcd pur goats but I would NEVER own a goat again.
                                                                   kay