Subject: Zone 3 Wisteria?

From: [email-masked] (Tina Perry)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 20:22:00 -0500

TO: [email-masked]
cI have a wisteria I have been growing for about 6 years. It hasn't flowered, 
but it has taken quite a beating during our winter ice storms. We live south 
of rochester and north of Corning in NY state. It is in area 4 but I would 
chance it. Ours was even moved from up by lake Ontario to it's current 
location and took the move very well, in July, by the way. Good Luck!

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 04:55:33 GMT

On 18 Mar 1995 22:13:02 GMT, 
gwen baker  <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I haven't had any luck in zone 5 with getting mine to bloom but have gotten
>a lot of good advice when I posted to this group.
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> My latest Jackson and Perkins catalog advertised a Wisteria
>> hardy to Zone 3.  My brain is skeptical but my heart lurches at
>> the thought of a Wisteria in my northern Maine garden.  Someone
>> please tell me its true!
>>  
>> Laurie Sheehan
>
Some wisteria varieties survive here in Minnesota, but generally the 
problem is getting them to bloom.  I know of two varieties here that will 
bloom reliably.  One is privately owned and the other is sold by a nursery, 
Bloomington Garden Center and Landscape Company, but I don't know if they 
mail order.  I have purchased mine from them.  I also have one plant, from 
another source, that is several years old, but has never bloomed.  Both 
varieties were inherited by their present owners.  The nursery found the 
original plant growing on the nursery grounds having been planted many 
years before by a previous owner.

lah
[email-masked]