Subject: watercress ?

From: [email-masked] (Cara Vandy)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 17:35:07 -0400

I finally found the perfect spot for watercress, and now I can't 
find any seeds!  Who sells it?  Anyone have advice, personal tales of 
it?  I realize that the taste isn't vivid, but there's something about 
it that's alluring - some picture of little plants waving in running 
water.....  I grew some from seed years ago, but it was murdered in its 
seedling stage by a careless child.  I'd really like to try again.  
		Thanks,
			Cara

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 14:27:14 -0600

> seedling stage by a careless child.  I'd really like to try again.  

Richter's sells seed, and it comes easily from transplanted sprigs.  It
can get out of hand quite quickly, however, and you also want to
make sure the water you're growing it in is "drinking water safe".
Nothing quite like a nice case of Shigella or Giardia with your
cress sandwiches and Earl Grey tea...  ;-)

BTW, we found we could grow it on one of the colder rooms of a
greenhouse at Iowa State by growing it in a bucket under a drippy
tap.

Kay Klier   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Stewart)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 00:11:34 -0400

Regarding the posting on watercress, (thought I'd beat Conrad to it for a 
rush) ;-)  Richter's Herbs has it in the '95 catalog on p. 22.  If you 
_really_ like it they even sell seed in 1 kg lots!  They claim it can be 
grown in super-moist pots and gardens, but does best along streams.

A friend of mine lives near a beautiful stream, with an ugly potato field 
right next door. Does anyone know if watercress super-accumulates nasty 
chemicals from agricultural runoff?  Also, can the stuff be transplanted, 
can you gather seed from the wild, and how?

	Paul from the Great Thawing Northeast <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 14:27:14 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Stewart)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 00:11:34 -0400

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 14:27:14 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Stewart)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 00:11:34 -0400