Subject: New garden problems

From: "N.B. McLaughlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Mar 1995 10:55:42 GMT

Any advice on the following problem would be appreciated:

My garden is brand new, uncultivated and consists of what looks like
fairly good top soil going down approx. 1 to 2 feet. The top soil rests on
a hard pan of bright blue solid clay. When a hole is dug in this clay it
does not drain. Over the past 6 months since we have moved into the house
the top soil has never appeared waterlogged.  Assuming that this pan can't
be broken through and given that I want a lawn and some flower beds
(nothing fancy) what are my options. 

Thanx in advance

Neil

ps The garden is 30 ft by 40 ft

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 04:38:48 GMT

>ps The garden is 30 ft by 40 ft

I think that your options are wide open.  If your have 1 to 2 feet of topsoil 
consider yourself lucky.  Most of us don't get that lucky.

As for the water, your garden area does not get waterlogged because the water 
drains through the topsoil ustil it reaches the clay.  It then moves along the 
top of the clay to a lower area.

I don't see any major problems unless you try to plant large trees and dig 
into the clay.  Then the water will collect in the root ball area and kill the 
tree.  Keep your planting in the topsoil and you won't have any problems.
(Famous last words)  :-)

Don
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 04:38:48 GMT

Don