Subject: Re: hardy gloxinia help needed

From: "James Ware" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 10:03:56 CST

On 28 Mar 1995 21:45:44 -0500, 
Davevo  <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I recently bought some hardy gloxinia from a mail order catalog.  It
>arrived bare root.  The planting instructions said it was a fibrous root
>but it sure looks like a long tap root about the size of my index finger
>with no fibrous roots anywhere.  Do I plant this root vertically or
>horizontally?  At or below the soil surface?
>
>Courtney in Virginia

This plant is actually called Incarnavillea (sp) and is a native of China. 
It does indeed have a nice long tap root and merits a place in any
shade garden. Calling it "Hardy Gloxina" is a VERY STUPID marketing ploy as 
its real name is not difficult and anyone that's ever tried to grow 
Gloxina knows it is anything but hardy (what kind of an IDIOT PLANT
leaves die when they get wet!?) and the two bear absolutely no 
resembelance to one another(if they do it escapes me). I have some in my 
shade be and if I remember correctly, they have an late spring/early summer 
bloom. Mine stay in the ground over winter and I have not noticed any 
problems with the usual suspects: bugs, slugs, fungus or disease.

============================================================================
                                _______  
                               /       |
   James R. Ware              /        |
                             /         |   [email-masked]
   MS Dept. of Archives      |         |   
   Systems Administrator     \         |
   100 S. State St.           |        |   PHONE: (601) 359-6888     
   P.O. Box 571               /        |   FAX:   (601) 359-6905        
   Jackson, MS 39205-0571    /         |
                            |______    |   "We work our computers until
                                  /    |    they die. Then we put in a new
                                  \____|    motherboard."
============================================================================

---

From: "James Ware" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 10:05:12 CST

On 28 Mar 1995 21:45:44 -0500, 
Davevo  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>...Do I plant this root vertically or
Vertically!