Subject: help-- damping off

From: [email-masked] (Sandra Heiler)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:19:39 -0500

Help!! I failed to *prevent* mold on my seedlings and now I need to stop
it.  I finally managed to get 2 particularly hard-to-sprout seed types to
germinate -- helleborus and Japanese iris -- and I have what looks like 2
quite different types of mold growing on the sprouts and all around the
seed starting mix (in 1 case) or on the Jiffy 7s (in the other case).  Some
have 1/8" white fur and some have long (1") webby things growing all over
the place.  Can I save these seedlings?  They've barely sprouted, e.g.,
1/4".  Would I kill them if I sprayed with Clorox in water?  How about
baking soda? I've taken the plastic off the tops of my seed trays, but I
fear that isn't enough.  They're growing in a room that stays about 60F.
Thanks in advance.
Sandy

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 12:06:21 GMT

>fear that isn't enough.  They're growing in a room that stays about 60F.

Since your seedlings are toast unless you do something, try a very
dilute chloring mix, or a little sulphur powder.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Maroni)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 23:21:24 GMT

Christine Owens ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Sandra Heiler) writes: 

: >
: >Help!! I failed to *prevent* mold on my seedlings and now I need to stop
: >it. 

Try Captan.  Label should have directions for use.  QUICK!

---

From: [email-masked] (GrnThm)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 19:20:45 -0500

RE: Controlling fungus

When this happened to my black eyed Susie vine seedlings I started in
Jiffy pots, I used a Camomile tea spray starting about two weeks ago and
so far they are still thriving.  I took 2 tea bags and seeped them in
boiling water (1 quart or so) for a few hours, transfered it to a spray
bottle and give them a thorough squirt every few days.  I found this tip
in an organic gardening book.