Subject: Re: DAYLILIES..

From: [email-masked] (Glenn T. Welsh)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 12:46:59 GMT

In message <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
(Judith Moore) writes:

Judith..your lucky your didn't freez the little buggers to death! Next time put 
them in the refrig but not the freezer, for four weeks. You'll get better 
germination. You can have some fun with your daylilies, by doing some crossing 
yourself. But remember, some daylilies have viable pollen, but will not produce 
seed. Others will produce seed, but their pollen isn't fertile. I've been 
hybridizing (amature) for about 15 years. I raise 1000-1,500 seedlings a year, 
and throw most of them away. Good luck on your ventures. Note my address, I,m
at the Lab in Rome. We've done work with you folks!  

Glenn Welsh

>Daylilies are terrific! A good way to get them is find someone else 
>dividing same.  
>
>This year I'm finally having some success starting from seed I
>gathered last year. Followed instructions in Park's Success with
>seeds, and put them in damp sphagnum moss in a plastic bag in the
>freezer for 3 months. Then planted in a pot on a sunny windowsill
>and hoped for the best. I have 3 plantlets now -- the largest 
>about 4" high. I'm so proud.
>
>Judith Moore

Glenn T. Welsh
Contracting Office