Subject: Re:_Tilia tomentosa_ (in the FORESTFARM catalog)

From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 14:07:35 PDT

> From: [email-masked] (Bob Klebba)
> Subject: looking for _Tilia tomentosa_
> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 17:22:32 GMT
> I`ve read that _Tilia tomentosa_ is a great linden tree that "should be
> grown more."  Evidently it is very similar to _T. cordata_, but has
> silvery leaves in the same manner as a silver maple.  I think it also has
> slightly hairy twigs.  Does anyone know of a retail source (mail order)
> for this tree (in the US)?
> 
> thanks for your help, Bob

Bob - 

As usual, I immediately found this tree in the Forestfarm catalog, as well
as a selected cultivar:

Tilia tomentosa - Silver Linden (Deciduous, USDA Zone5, Eurasia) Lovely
large tree for shade with small but fragrant flowers in summer and somewhat
silvery leaves that flutter in a breeze.  (Sun/Med moisture)

Tilia tomentosa 'Sterling Silver' (USDA Zone4) The outstanding foliage (dark
green above, strikingly silver beneath) of this medium sized (to 40-60ft),
braodly pyramidal tree seems to shimmer in a breeze.  Known to be resistant
to Japanese Beetle & Gypsy Moth. (Sun/Med. moisture)

Ray & Peg Prag run Forestfarm (990 Tetherow Road, Williams, OR 97544-9599;
catalog $3), producing 2 catalogs a year (the Fall 1994 catalog has almost
350 pages!!!) that I always keep on hand for references of a wide array of
interesting and beautiful hardy species.  I would encourage anyone with an
interest in plants to make the investment at least once to sample the
dizzying number of species avaiable to be grown from these dedicated and
tireless propogaters of fine plants!
 
 H O R T U L U S   A P T U S  ('gardens', 'suited to their purpose')
 Sean A. O'Hara
 710 Jean Street, Oakland, CA  94610-1459        [email-masked]
 (510) 987-0577