Subject: Re: reference materials

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 95 09:14:35 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mike Reali) writes:
>      I just began work at a local nursery and am attempting 
to secure a position that
>      requires knowledge of plant physiology , diseases, 
basic horticulture and other
>      general and not so general areas.  
Does anyone have any really good suggestions
>      on books that cover this for primarily 
woody plants in the Northern Colorado
>      area/climate?  Please e-mail me directly at  
    [email-masked]

I'd suggest starting with Kingley Stern's beginner's textbook on
botany.  That should give you enough background information on
physiology, etc. that the more specialized horticultural texts
will make sense to you.

After that, I'd go for something like Janick, Schery, Woods, et al.
_Plant Science_, and a basic hort text (something I don't own,
but I hear there are several good ones.  The Ball Red Book is also
helpful for "recipes" for plant production.

After that, try Young and Young's Collecting, Processing and Germinating
Seeds of Wildland Plants, Dir and Heuser's Reference Manual of Woody Plant
Propagation, and some books to give yourself a background in plant
pathology and entomology.  Cynthia Westcott (?) Westmacott (?)'s
Plant Doctor is an old and reliable title (though a bit dated) that's
in my library... however, I can't give you a better citation cuz
most of my books are packed.

Gardening is a fascinating hobby:  You can get pretty good results with
a lot of things with minimal knowledge, better results with a wider
range of things with a little more knowledge, and when you've practiced
and read and killed enough plants to be an "expert", you can do some
truly amazing things!

Kay Klier [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Reali)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 02:27:29 GMT

I just began work at a local nursery and am attempting to secure a position that
     requires knowledge of plant physiology , diseases, basic horticulture and other
     general and not so general areas.  Does anyone have any really good suggestions
     on books that cover this for primarily woody plants in the Northern Colorado
     area/climate?  Please e-mail me directly at      [email-masked]

     Thanks,

     Mike;::

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 95 09:14:35 -0600