Subject: I jumped the gun on spring

From: "Marcie G. Mastracci" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 12:29:02 -0500

And now I have 150 spindly seedlings all over my house!

You see they were having a seed sale at the local hardware store - 10
packages for a dollar - so I bought a bunch & planted them all right
away even though the frost-free date for my area (Zone 5, Pittsburgh,
PA) is probably the middle of May.

Actually, the eggplants, tomatoes, & peppers don't seem to be doing too
badly.  They're about 1 inch tall & I figure I can keep them inside in
their peat pots for the next month.

HOWEVER, I'm worried about my pumpkin, watermelon & cantelope plants. 
They're about 8 inches tall with two small leaves at the top.  They're
tied up to chopsticks because they're falling over the sides of the pot.
 What the hell am I going to do with them for the next month and a half?

Does anyone have any experience keeping pumpkins, watermelon &
cantelopes as HOUSEPLANTS?  I thought maybe I could put them in a big
pot with a trellis or something.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marcie

---

From: [email-masked] (Laurie L. Robertson)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 17:07:31 -0400

My Rodales Encyclopedia of Indoor Gardening is not too encouraging -- both
melons and squash are referred to as "challenges", but then they are assuming
one is trying to bring them to fruit indoors.  I'm winging it here, but I
assume that the important thing you want to focus on while they are vacationing
with you indoors is root growth.  Consequently, I might try moving them to a
slightly larger container and keeping the top growth under control.  Rodales 
recommends a soil mix of equal parts of peat moss, vermiculit and potting soil.
Careful with the fertilizer (I'd consider withholding except for maybe some
Roots to prevent transplant shock).

Another thing to consider, is once you have them potted you can move up the
hardening off, transplanting routine.  Do you have a wagon, you can put the
pots in the wagon and move them outside on suitable days and keep them indoors
when it's too cold.  Also, start looking at techniques to warm the soil where
you are going to eventually be planting them -- clear/black plastic (each has
it's own advocates), newspaper, row covers, etc.  You can jump the gun a little
on transplanting if the soil is warm enough and you're prepared to take 
precautions on less-optimal nights.

Good luck.  I've got a Tabasco Pepper that I overwintered here in DC that I'm
beginning to reaclimate to the outdoors. 

Laurie
    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Laurie L. Robertson)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 17:07:31 -0400

Laurie
    [email-masked]