Subject: Best Lavender for sachets

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Houston)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 12:33:45 GMT

There are several varieties of lavenders and I'd like to grow
some for use in sachets.  Which varieties are best for this?
I understand that lavender doesn't like acid soil;  since my
soil is acidic I guess I will have to use lime several times
a year (is that true?).  Will it grow near the edge of a pond
or does it prefer a dry soil?

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Boake)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 11:12 EST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jeff Houston) writes...
>I understand that lavender doesn't like acid soil.

Hidcote has a stronger scent than Munstead, but in my area (East Tennessee,
southern tip of Zone 6) it is not as vigorous.  I have acid red clay soil.
When I set up the bed I added sand  and rotted manure, and each year I
top dress with rotted manure.  I have not limed.  One person told me that
lavender likes to be neglected, and this seems to be right.  The
lavender that is doing best is right up against the curb, and must get
pretty dry roots in the summer, but it flowers like mad.  It gets sun all
day.
  Lavender does _NOT_ like to be moved.  Try to transplant the smallest
plants you can find, and be very careful not to abuse the roots.  Plant
it thickly enough that you can have a nice hedge after some mortality.
My Munsteads are about 3 ft wide now, after 3 years.  The Hidcotes are
about 1 ft wide, and scrawny.
  Hope this helps.
--Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Boake)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 11:12 EST