Subject: wildflowers near Houston?

From: [email-masked] (JJACK1)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 01:11:30 -0500

Are there any Houstonians out there that could tell a newcomer the best
place to photograph wildflowers near Houston? Thanks.

Jerry Jackson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 23 Mar 1995 21:45:16 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (JJACK1)

> place to photograph wildflowers near Houston? Thanks.

If your up for a bit of a road trip, the Hill Country, west of Austin is
famous for its wildflowers, as is the Wildflower Research Center in Austin.
 The Austin American-Statesman had an article earlier this week on seeing
Texas wildflowers.  Included was the number of the Texas Wildflower
Hotline, or something like that, as well as places to see (I don't remember
if any were close to Houston).  Your library would surely have a copy of
the past week's papers.

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 23 Mar 1995 21:45:16 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (KathyF1284)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 15:39:58 -0500

Take 290 to Brenham (home of the Blue Bell Ice Cream folks).  There are
some nice flowers near Chappell Hill.  There is a Bluebonnet Festival out
there early in April.  Also, the Airing of the Quilts in Sealy is a good
trip, combine folkart with wildflowers.   
                           - Kathy [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Brucia)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 21:11:11 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>trip, combine folkart with wildflowers.   

UPDATE: Today (4/2/95) my wife and I drove this area: Houston to 
Hempstead, then to Burton, then south to Industry, then east to Bellville.  
The bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush are coming in strongly (my better
half thinks that next weekend will be peak).  We saw a few other varieties, 
but they are sparse.  Of course, the fields are covered (especially closer 
to Houston) with photographers.  There is a field east of Hempstead which 
looks like a beach on Spring break weekend - but getting off the main 
highways and going further eliminates that (amusing!) spectacle. 

Seriously, it's worth seeing the fields and byways at this time of year!

-- 
 					Tom Brucia
					[email-masked]
		Opinions expressed may not represent those I had 
		yesterday nor those I may hold tomorrow.....

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Brucia)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 21:11:11 -0500