Subject: Cats and Spas - Drinking Problem

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Pearce)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 11:39:42 GMT

Y'all,

Two questions:

1.  Will it kill my cat if it drinks from a chlorinated spa?

2.  If not, how do I stop it?

If so, maybe its time for children....

Nick
Australia

(via [email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (RonD)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 17:39:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] () writes:
|> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andrew Pearce) writes:
|> |>
|> |>Y'all,
|> |>Two questions:
|> |>1.  Will it kill my cat if it drinks from a chlorinated spa?
|> |>2.  If not, how do I stop it?
|> |>If so, maybe its time for children....
|> My cats love to drink from the pool and it won't hurt them under normal
|> conditions.

When I lived in Florida, everybody in my neighborhood had a pool.
One of my neighbors swore that the chlorine ingested by her pets
helped keep the fleas off their coats. 

-- 
I can't receive email...please post.

Ron Daubenspeck                   | I speak only for myself, not BNR.
Raleigh, NC                       |

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 29 Mar 1995 19:46:28 GMT

--
In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (RonD) writes:
|>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] () writes:
|>|> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andrew Pearce) writes:
|>|> |>
|>|> |>Y'all,
|>|> |>Two questions:
|>|> |>1.  Will it kill my cat if it drinks from a chlorinated spa?
|>|> |>2.  If not, how do I stop it?
|>|> |>If so, maybe its time for children....
|>|> My cats love to drink from the pool and it won't hurt them under normal
|>|> conditions.
|>
|>When I lived in Florida, everybody in my neighborhood had a pool.
|>One of my neighbors swore that the chlorine ingested by her pets
|>helped keep the fleas off their coats. 

You know, now that I think about it, we've had the pool for 2 years and Texas
has not had a hard freeze the past 2 winters.  This means that the bug (ant/
flea, etc) populations will be quite high the next spring and summer.  But
we had no flea problem at all and my cats go in and out of the house all the
time.  The year before the pool, the fleas were awful and we had to have the
carpet in the house treated.

Regards, Bonnie
  Mama to Bobby 9/5/91 and Aunt Bonnie to Hayden 3/7/95
*******************************************************************
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 17:14:51 -0600

> 1.  Will it kill my cat if it drinks from a chlorinated spa?

Not particularly good for the cat, but s/he'll probably survive.  Bromine
is a little more toxic than chlorine, btw.
> 2.  If not, how do I stop it?

I dunno.  Tabasco sauce, maybe?  It's about the only thing that has
ever persuaded any of my cats that something is inedible.  And my crew
tends to hang around the bathtub and drink "Kay tea" (yech!)

> If so, maybe its time for children....

??!?!?!?!?  ;-)

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 29 Mar 1995 15:15:39 GMT

--
In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andrew Pearce) writes:
|>
|>Y'all,
|>
|>Two questions:
|>
|>1.  Will it kill my cat if it drinks from a chlorinated spa?
|>
|>2.  If not, how do I stop it?
|>
|>If so, maybe its time for children....

My cats love to drink from the pool and it won't hurt them under normal
conditions.  If you have recently treated the spa/pool to balance the pH level
(added acid) or shocked it (large dose of bromine/chlorine) I would try to
discourage drinking.  Notice I said try - cats are hardheaded and strong willed
and nobody tells a cat what to do.  They just take it under advisement and
get back to you.  I have noticed that when I shock the pool they'll leave it
alone for a day then start drinking later the next day.

Regards, Bonnie

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 17:14:51 -0600

??!?!?!?!?  ;-)

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 29 Mar 1995 15:15:39 GMT

Regards, Bonnie

---

From: [email-masked] (LnThomson)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 12:40:46 -0500

I have a cat who's been drinking out of my pool for 7 years.  I can't stop
him, and he's still going strong.  I haven't noticed the pool water
helping with fleas, though.

Lynn Thomson, San Antonio, Zone 9 this year

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:21:34 GMT

>I have a cat who's been drinking out of my pool for 7 years.  I can't
stop

(Cats just *love* wild water.  A cat that wouldn't go near a water dish
in its wildest dreams will lap up any old scummy water if it's outside). 
    -Sue Sanders

---

From: [email-masked] (Kenneth Leong)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 00:27:57 GMT

>in its wildest dreams will lap up any old scummy water if it's outside). 

Not a very good move for the cat. Not very smart either.

Kenny L.

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:21:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Kenneth Leong)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 00:27:57 GMT

Kenny L.

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 20:21:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Kenneth Leong)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 00:27:57 GMT

Kenny L.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian M. Patterson)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:09:37 GMT

>in its wildest dreams will lap up any old scummy water if it's outside). 

My cat almost never drinks out of his water dish. (I leave it down anyway,
in case I'm late getting home)  He WILL drink out of the pool, toilet,
lick the water off the shower walls, jump up in the wash basin that the
washing machine empties into, & drink from the dehumidifier bucket.  His
favorite is to drink from a slowly running or dripping faucet, so I turn
the tap on when I'm brushing my teeth and he takes his drinks then.  He
will also drink out of any vessel that I happen to be using and set down
for two seconds, dipping his paw in and then licking the liquid off.

In otherwords, if you want to keep your cat from drinking out of the spa,
you have two choices:
        1/ Cover the spa,
        2/ Get rid of the spa or cat!

No worries!

Imp.
__________________________________________________________________________
Ian M. Patterson                    I can't do anything about growing old,
Computer Engineer                       but they can't make me grow up!
AT&T Global Information Solutions
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada