Subject: FAQ: Faba Beans

From: Brian Lo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:42:06 -0800

FABA BEAN  Vicia faba
                      (see seperate files on beans and lima beans)

      Faba bean, also called Fababean, Broadbean and Fava Bean is a cool
temperature vegetable popular in the Middle East and Europe, and uncommon in
the U.S.  Pods are shelled when seeds are green for cooking as a green
vegetable, commonly in stews.  The seed may be boiled, or used roasted as a
snack food.  They are also harvested after the seed has dried and ground to a
flour and used for falafel, a popular middle eastern food.

VARIETIES

      Spring planted varieties require approximately 130-150 days, while over-
wintering varieties require approximately 240 days to reach dry seed maturity. 
Green-pod harvest for green seed would be about 30 days less:

      Aquadulce Claudia for overwinter or spring planting; Aprovecho Select,
Green Windsor, Broad Windsor, Equina, Ipro for spring planting.  Dwarf type: 
Coles Dwarf Prolific (suited to windy areas where plants may be blown over). 
Heat tolerant type:  Foul Muddamma.  For trial - spring planting:  Dread-
nought, Acme, Stereo.

SEED COMPANIES

Abbott & Cobb Inc. POB F307, Feasterville, PA 19047
Asgrow Seed Company, POB 5038, Salinas CA 93915
Bountiful Gardens, 19550 Walker Road, Willits, CA 95490
Crookham Co. Caldwell, ID 83606
Ferry-Morse Seed Co. POB 4938, 555 Codoni Ave. Modesto, CA 95352
Harris Moran Seed Co. 3670 Buffalo Rd. Rochester, NY 14624
Johnny's Select Seeds, Foss Hill Road, Albion, Maine 04910
Nichols Garden Nursery, 1190 No. Pacific Highway, Albany, OR 97321-4598
Rogers NK Seed Co. POB 4272 Boise, ID 83711
Sunseeds, 2320 Technology Pkwy. Hollister, CA 95023
W. Osborne Seed Co. Int'l. 1679 Highway 99 South, Mount Vernon, WA 98273 
Territorial Seed Co.  POB 27, Lorane, OR 97451
Samual Yates, Ltd., Withyfold Dr., Macclesfield, Cheshire SKI0 2BE, England
Zenner Bros. Seed Co., Inc.  1311 S.E. Gideon St. Portland, OR 97202

SOILS

      Faba beans do best on well-drained silt loam soils.  Sandy loams are but
require more frequent irrigation.  Faba beans produce best on soils which are
neutral or slightly acidic.  Lime should be applied if pH levels are below
5.6.  Follow soil test recommendations.

      Rotate faba beans with grains or other crops to reduce damage from
soil-borne diseases.  Crop residues of lettuce, carrots, cabbage, parsnips,
and cucurbits may harbor white mold sclerotia.   

SEED TREATMENT
     
      Use fungicide and insecticide treated seed. 

SOIL TEMPERATURE

      Faba beans germinate and grow well under cool soil conditions such as
those favorable for production of peas.  Fields may be planted as soon as they
can be worked in the spring, however, delaying planting till June or July may
reduce broad bean virus or chocolate spot infection.  In the temperate areas
of the Pacific Northwest, cold-hardy varieties like Aquadulce Claudia may be
planted in the fall (late September or October).

SEEDING AND SPACING

      Faba Bean seed numbers about 200-800 per pound.  About 60-80 lbs. are
used per acre.  Seed should be planted 5-6 inches apart in the row, with rows
24-36 inches apart.  Plant populations should be about 60,000 per acre.  Use
heavier seeding rate for fall planting than spring planting to compensate for
some over-winter mortality.

FERTILIZER

      Good fertilizer usage is only one of the important management practices,
including proper seeding, pest control, adequate irrigation, and timely
harvest.  Because of the influence of soil type, climatic conditions, and
other cultural practices, crop response from fertilizer may not always be
accurately predicted.  Soil test results, field experience, and knowledge of
specific crop requirements help determine the nutrients needed and the rate of
application.  

      Fertilizer applications for faba beans should insure adequate levels of
all nutrients.  Optimum fertilization is intended to result in for top quality
and yield, commensurate with maximum returns.  

      Recommended soil sampling procedures should be followed in order to
estimate fertilizer needs.  The Oregon State University Extension Service
agent in your county can provide you with soil sampling instructions and soil
sample bags and information sheets.  

      Recommendations are based on a row spacing of 36".  With decreased row
spacings fertilizer rates should be increased.  Use the following recommended
guidelines:

For WESTERN OREGON:

      NITROGEN (N)

      Rates of 50 to 80 lbs of N/A are generally recommended where faba beans
are grown on fields having a history of heavy fertilization and intensive
culture.  Rates of 80 to 110 lbs of N/A are recommended where forage legumes
or heavily fertilized vegetable crops were not grown the preceding year.  

      PHOSPHORUS (P)

      Phosphorus fertilizer should be banded at planting for vigorous early
seedling growth.  Bands should be located 2 to 3 inches to the side and 2 to 3
inches below the seed.  

      Response is greatest from bands properly placed at 2 x 2 inches.  

               If the OSU soil test         Apply this amount of 
               for P reads (ppm):         phosphate (P2 O5) lb/A:

                                                             0 - 15120 - 150
                                                            15 - 60 90 - 120
                                                            Over 60 60 - 90

      POTASSIUM (K)

      Potassium should be applied before planting or banded at planting time. 
Amounts above 60 lbs K2 O per acre should be broadcast and worked into the
seed bed.  

                    If the OSU soil test    Apply this amount of
                    for K reads (ppm):      potassium(K2 O) (lb/A)

                                                  0 - 7590 - 120
                                                 75 - 15060 - 90
                                                150 - 20040 - 60
                                                    Over 200  None

      SULFUR (S)

      Include 20-30 lbs/A of S in the fertilizer program for  faba beans.  S
is sometimes contained in fertilizers used to supply other nutrients such as
N, P, and K, but may not be present in sufficient quantity.  

      Plants absorb S in the form of sulfate.  Fertilizer materials supply S
in the form of sulfate and elemental S.  

      Elemental S must convert to sulfate in the soil before the S becomes
available to plants.  The conversion of elemental S to sulfate is usually
rapid for fine ground (less than 40 mesh) material in warm moist soil.  

      S in the sulfate form can be applied at planting time.  Some S fertili-
zer materials such as elemental S and ammonium sulfate have an acidifying
effect on soil.  

      The S requirements of faba beans can be provided by:

      1.  The application of 20-30 lbs S/A in the form of sulfate at or prior
to seeding.  
      2.  Applying 30-40 lbs S/A as fine ground (finer than 40 mesh) elemental
S the preceding year.  
      3.  Applying coarser ground elemental S at higher rates and less fre-
quently.  

      MAGNESIUM (Mg)

      When the soil test value is below 1.5 meq Mg/100g of soil or when cal-
cium (Ca) is ten times more than the Mg, apply 10 to 15 lb Mg/A banded at
planting.  If deficiency symptoms appear, spray with 10 lbs Epsom salts in 100
gals of water/A.  

      Mg can also be supplied in dolomite, which is a liming material and
reduces soil acidity to about the same degree as ground limestone.  Dolomite
should be mixed into the seed bed several weeks in advance of seeding.  

      BORON (B)

      Responses of  faba beans to B applications have not been observed in
experiments on growers' fields in western Oregon.  

      ZINC (Zn)

      Responses of  faba beans to B applications have not been observed in
experiments on growers' fields in western Oregon.  

      When the soil test is below 1 ppm Zn, a response to Zn is expected on
all soils.  

      Where Zn is required, either 10 lb/A of Zn should be broadcast and
worked into the soil prior to planting or 3 to 4 lbs/A of Zn should be banded
with the fertilizer at planting time.  
          
      A broadcast application of 10 lb Zn/A should supply Zn needs for 2 or 3
years.  

      LIME

      Lime applications should be made when the soil pH is 5.5 or below, or
when calcium (Ca) levels are below 5 meq Ca/100g of soil.  

                           If the OSU SMP Buffer          Apply this amount
                           test for lime reads:             of lime (T/A):

                                 Below 5.2                   4 - 5
                                 5.2 - 5.6                   3 - 4
                                 5.6 - 5.9                   2 - 3
                                 5.9 - 6.2                   1 - 2
                                  Over 6.2                       0

     The liming rate is based on 100-score lime.  Lime should be mixed into
the seed bed at least several weeks before seeding.  A lime application is
effective over several years.  Do not apply lime when the soil pH is above
6.0.

EASTERN OREGON, east of the Cascades:

                                                              lbs. per acre

                                    Nitrogen (N): 50-80
                                    Phosphorus (P2 O5):           50-100
                                    Potassium (K2 O):             up to 50
                                    Sulfur (S):                   20-30

IRRIGATION

      Irrigation is not recommended until about 2 weeks after planting.  Too
much water at seeding slows growth and may increase root rots.  

      During the rest of the season, keep moisture levels in the top foot of
soil at or above 50% of available water.  To avoid any water stress the two
critical times during bean development are during bloom and pod set.  It is
advisable to irrigate in the early morning hours so the plants may dry off
before the night.  A total of 10" - 16" may be needed in western Oregon
depending on location planting date, seasonal variation and variety.

      Approximate summer irrigation needs for the Hermiston area have been
found to be: 3.5 inches in May, 5.0 in June, 7.5 in July, and 7.0 in August.

      Soil type does not affect the amount of total water needed, but does
dictate frequency of water application.  Lighter soils need more frequent
water applications, but less water applied per application.

HARVESTING AND HANDLING

      Faba beans are usually harvested when the seeds have reached full size
but are still green.  They may also be harvested after the pods and seeds have
dried for various uses.  When harvested green, pods may be sold for shelling
by consumers or shelled, and the green seed packaged for sale.

      Store at 40 to 45 F. and relative humidity of 95%.  Faba bean pods or
seed lose moisture rapidly if not properly protected by packaging or by a
relative humidity of 95% or above.  When the relative humidity approaches
saturation, as in consumer packages, temperatures above 45 F. must be avoided
or decay is likely to be serious within a few days.

      Containers of faba beans should be stacked to allow abundant air
circulation.  If containers are packed close together, the temperature may
rise because of the heat of respiration, and the faba beans will deteriorate
rapidly.  When faba beans are stored in large bins or pallet boxes, provision
should be made for rapid cooling.  Faba beans stored too long or at too high a
storage temperature are subject to various decays.

                        PEST CONTROL FOR FABA BEANS

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW, TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST PEST
CONTROL HANDBOOKS, ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY, AND ARE REVISED ONLY ANNUALLY. 
BECAUSE OF CONSTANTLY CHANGING LABELS, LAWS, AND REGULATIONS, OREGON STATE
UNIVERSITY CAN ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF USE OF CHEMICALS
SUGGESTED HERE.  IN ALL CASES, READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND PRECAUTION-
ARY STATEMENTS ON THE SPECIFIC PESTICIDE PRODUCT LABEL.

                          USE PESTICIDES SAFELY!

Wear protective clothing and safety devices as recommended on the label. 
Bathe or shower after each use.

Read the pesticide label--even if you've used the pesticide before.  Follow
closely the instructions on the label (and any other directions you have).

Be cautious when you apply pesticides.  Know your legal responsibility as a
pesticide applicator.  You may be liable for injury or damage resulting from
pesticide use.

WEED CONTROL

     The Pacific Northwest Weed Control Handbook has no control entries for
this crop.  

     Cultivate as often as necessary when weeds are small.  Proper culti-
vation, field selection and rotations can reduce or eliminate the need for
chemical weed control.  

INSECT CONTROL

     The Pacific Northwest Insect Control Handbook has no control entries for
this crop.  

     Proper rotations and field selection can minimize problems with insects.

DISEASE CONTROL

     The Pacific Northwest Disease Control Handbook has no control entries for
this crop.  

     Proper rotations, field selection, sanitation, spacings, fertilizer and
irrigation practices can reduce the risk of many diseases.  Fields can be
tested for presence of harmful nematodes.  Using seed from reputable sources
reduces risk from "seed born" diseases.

         ---------------------------------------------------
         --------------------------------------------------- 
         This  information was prepared by the Oregon  State 
         University   Extension  Service  from  Oregon   and 
         Pacific  NW publications as well as other vegetable 
         production guidelines  from public institutions  in
         the U.S. and Canada.  These guidelines are intended
         as a general guide for Oregon  commercial vegetable
         producers.  Address  comments or questions  to your
         County  Extension   Agent  or  Dr.  N.  S. Mansour,
         Department of Horticulture, Oregon State University
         Corvallis, OR 9733l 
         --------------------------------------------------- 
         ---------------------------------------------------