Subject: Re: One more Clematis question

From: [email-masked] (Samme Orwig)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 13:42:10 GMT

I had 2 Belle of Woking vines planted
side by side on trellises. One grew
and the other became covered with the
black wilt. Last week they were both
setting buds, but I will move the
weaker one in May and see if it helps.

NB: One senses clematis don't like to
be near laundry/dryer vents.

ANOTHER CLEMATIS QUESTION: Is Barbara Jackman a group 1, 2 or 3? Will it
tolerate some shade cover?

Thanks
/samme

ELIZABETH GEPPERT ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Last year during an unusually hot spell three of my favorite clematis vines wilted
: and died to the ground.  I was heartbroken.  Since then I have read up on Clematis
: Wilt.  The experts seem to blame an evil microorganism.  I am not altogether 
: convinced though.  In my yard I have about twelve clematis vines and the only ones
: that wilted were trellised against a south facing brick wall.  Could it have been
: the heat of the bricks?  Those three vines have come up from the roots and are
: starting to grow now.  Should I move them?  Is now a good time? Is there a way
: to prevent this from happening again?

: >

---

From: [email-masked] (ELIZABETH GEPPERT)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 06:18:15 GMT

Last year during an unusually hot spell three of my favorite clematis vines wilted
and died to the ground.  I was heartbroken.  Since then I have read up on Clematis
Wilt.  The experts seem to blame an evil microorganism.  I am not altogether 
convinced though.  In my yard I have about twelve clematis vines and the only ones
that wilted were trellised against a south facing brick wall.  Could it have been
the heat of the bricks?  Those three vines have come up from the roots and are
starting to grow now.  Should I move them?  Is now a good time? Is there a way
to prevent this from happening again?

---

From: Norma Walling <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 17:33:43 GMT

> to prevent this from happening again?

Clematis really like to have cool roots so maybe 4 to 6 inches of 
mulch might help them out!