Subject: Re: Squirrels and strawberries

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 11:58:58 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Stephanie) writes: 

>
>I've discovered in the last few days that there is a squirrel who has been
>dropping by for breakfast in my strawbeery pots for the past month or so.
>I grow strawberries in regular three gallon pots on my balcony in the court-
>yard side of my building. Every morning this squirrel climbs up the stairs
>and makes his way around the walkway to see if any of the berries are ripe
>(by his standards, this means slightly pinkish) and then eats them right off
>the plant. I thought my neighbors were imagining things until I opened the
>door Saturday morning just as he was arriving. So far he hasn't figured out
>how to pull the netting off the second pot to get the larger berries, but I
>really don't care to compete with this guy for my strawberries. Is there any
>good way to discourage him or should I just let him have his strawberry pot
>and keep the other covered for myself? Moving them isn't a possibility due to
>sunlight needs.
> 
>Stephanie
>

Try spreading some caltrops right around the strawberry pots.

Chris Owens