Subject: butterflies for butterfly garden?

From: [email-masked] (Tien-Yee Chiu)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 00:37:08 GMT

Does anyone know where I can get Monarch butterfly eggs to
raise in my garden?  I know they're endangered and that permits
are required; I need a source of eggs.

Tien Chiu

---

From: [email-masked] (DTDerekson)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 00:57:15 -0500

Huh? Gee that's news to me, but the Cal-tech mention tells me you may be
located near some protected overwintering site requiring legislation?

Assuming you are located where the critters live naturally, simply get
some milkweed (for a garden, get a more "domestic" kind, like asclepias
tuberosa or asclepias incarnata) and plant something the Monarchs like to
nectar on (the asclepias, for one, but buddelia is also quite good). 
Anyway, I do this here in Pittsburgh and the Monarchs nectar in my yard
and very happily deposit eggs on my milkweed. I usually have fourth instar
caterpillars on the plants by August.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the "endangered and protected"
status.... To my knowledge we have no such restrictions in our area, but I
may be uninformed.

---

From: Julia Freeman-Woolpert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 20:18:49 -0500

>are required; I need a source of eggs.
 
Why not just plant a bunch of milkweed? I believe that's the only thing they
eat.

---

From: Julia Freeman-Woolpert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 20:18:49 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 11:49:40 GMT

> >are required; I need a source of eggs.
   Mostly you need food plants for the grubs.  Black swallowtail
caterpillars eat parsley, so plant out a couple of those.  They're green
with black markings as I recall.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney ---Opinions, just opinions---

---

From: [email-masked] (Lori Coulson)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 15:48:35 -0400

: > Tien-Yee Chiu <[email-masked]> writes:
: >  
: > >       Does anyone know where I can get Monarch butterfly eggs to
: > >raise in my garden?  I know they're endangered and that permits
: > >are required; I need a source of eggs.
: >  
A company called Brudy's Exotics was advertising butterfly eggs in
their catalog this spring.  I don't have the catalog with me, but 
I'll look it up when I get home and see if they have monarch eggs.

I do hope you have milkweed plants in your yard, since this is what
monarch catapillars eat.  

I'll post the info on Brudy's tomorrow.

Lori Coulson
Zone 5/6

---

From: [email-masked] (David Butler)
Date: 12 Apr 1995 02:23:22 GMT

In <[email-masked]>
>I'll post the info on Brudy's tomorrow.

Brudy's Exotics sells a 'Danaus plexippics Monarch Kit' which contains 
12 Eggs or Larvae for $21.95 plus S&H.  The kits will be available
June-August.  Be sure and ask them about the larval plant types and
quantities required to raise them - your new guests will arrive hungry.

Their numbers are:
    1-800-926-7333
    1-713-960-7117 (FAX).

There address is:
    Brudy's Exotics
    P.O. Box 820874
    Houston, TX  77282-0874

Hope this helps.

D. Butler
Zone 9/10

---

From: Julia Freeman-Woolpert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 95 18:27:52 -0500

try The Butterfly Place, 120 Tyngsboro Road, Westford, Ma 01886, tel.
508-392-0955

---

From: [email-masked] (David Butler)
Date: 12 Apr 1995 02:23:22 GMT

Their numbers are:
    1-800-926-7333
    1-713-960-7117 (FAX).

There address is:
    Brudy's Exotics
    P.O. Box 820874
    Houston, TX  77282-0874

Hope this helps.

D. Butler
Zone 9/10

---

From: Julia Freeman-Woolpert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 95 18:27:52 -0500