Subject: Re: Should I buy Zoyzia Grass?

From: [email-masked] (RSherry271)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 22:38:32 -0500

Zoysia is a warm season grass so it will be green when it's warm, maybe
three or four months in the summer. The rest of the year it will be
varying shades of brown. here in RI we recommned it for people with a
summer house at the beach. It'll be green during the summer and when they
are not around in the spring and fall it is brown. It also spreads into
other areas of the lawn or neighbor's lawn and cannot be killed except by
using a grass killer such as glyphosate (Roundup). I suggest you not get
it if you live in the north. You may be sorry that you did.

Rosie in RI
RI State Master Gardener Coordinator
Rosanne Sherry

"Dogs come when called, cats take a message and get back to you".

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 09:46:09 PDT

I just moved to mid-Michigan and my lawn is very thin. The soil is
sorta swampy with alot of sand.
I got an advert with the paper about AMAZOY Zoysia Grass. They say
it is Meyer Z-52 Zoysia Grass perfected by US Gov.
I'd like to believe the claims.
1. grows in terrible soils (including sandy).
2. chokes out crabgrass
3. end reseeding because it spreads

Anyone with experience with this grass? I don't want to waste my time
and money? Thanks in advance!!
Bill Clark
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (RSherry271)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 22:38:32 -0500

Rosie in RI

---

From: [email-masked] (bob)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 05:40:04 GMT

>and money? Thanks in advance!!

My neighbor planted this grass.  It turns yellow in the winter time.  
Also, to keep it from spreading to neighboring lawns he has to put a 
line of oil near other lawns.  It kind of looks like straw other than 
the summer months.

Patty

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 15:39:18 GMT

>and money? Thanks in advance!!

It is also the first to turn brown each fall, and the last to
turn green each spring.  It is very expensive to get established,
but once you have it going, it is very care-free.

Chris Owens