Subject: Upside-down tomatoes?

From: [email-masked] (Lane Owsley)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 22:40:56 GMT

Has anyone ever heard of growing tomato plants out of the bottom
of hanging pots? My dad's friend said he saw this being done
once quite successfully. It eliminated the need for staking/support,
and potted plants didn't blow over in the wind.

Presumably, you would have to cut a hole in the bottom of the pot and
start the plant off with the pot upside down. Then after a while you
would flip the pot over and hang it up.

I want to try this, but it seems like I would run into problems with 
the roots (would they stay at the bottom?). If anyone knows anything
about this, I would really like to hear.

Lane

---

From: [email-masked] (WEIR ANDREW L)
Date: 5 Apr 95 20:40:36 GMT

>Lane

I read about just this in a library book called simply "Tomatoes". I
can't remember anything more about the book, but they did describe the
technique pretty much as you have it. They recommended using those
large plastic paint/whatever pots (cleaned, of course) that have wire
handles. Fill, the pot with soil after cutting a small hole in the bottom.
Put the lid on, turn it upside down, and plant your tomato seedling through
the hole. After a while, the plant will be large enough for you to turn it
upside down and hang the bucket by the handle. No need for wire cages for
support etc. and it takes a lot less space. Water by removing the lid and
using a hose or whatever. The lid keeps moisture and roots in.

---

From: [email-masked] (Scot Homer)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 05:40:27 GMT

> >and potted plants didn't blow over in the wind.
[snip]

I am trying this for the first time this year.  I have four 3 gallon
plastic buckets with one each of Roma, Brandywine, Cherry, and something
called Heatwave.  The plants are hanging along the south side of the
house up under the eve.  Lessons learned thus far:

1.  My first plants were killed by the wind.  The plants seem to be more
exposed and more susceptable to wind damage as they are about 6 feet off
the ground.  The current set have a small stake extending downward
through the hole so they have some lateral support.  This seems to have
helped.

2.  The plastic buckets originally had one 2 inch diameter hole in the
middle for the stem.  This did not provide near enough drainage so I
have added a bunch of smaller holes in the bottom.  I may have to add
even more later...we'll see.

3.  The excess water drains out the bottom and runs down the stem.  I
hope this does not cause a disease problem.

Some other thoughts:  I don't see where this method saves a whole lot of
space over a caged plant.  It is still verticle.  I believe they will be
free of hornworms and aphids but the whiteflies will still get them.  I
am a little concerned about the roots getting too hot.  The buckets are
out of the sun but temperatures under the eve will easily reach 120+.
Does anyone know if this will kill them?  BTW I am in the Mojave Desert
- zone 8.

--
Scot Homer