Subject: Re: Aug/Sept PERENNIALS

From: "James Ware" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 16:38:21 CST

On Sat, 18 Mar 1995 14:22:29 GMT, 
Steven M. Begley  <[email-masked]> wrote:

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Howard Slenk) writes:
>>From: [email-masked] (Howard Slenk)
>>Subject: Re: Aug/Sept PERENNIALS

BUKTOP ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am looking for some perennials that would do well in one half day
: afternoon sun, would be about three feet tall and red or bright pink in
: color that would do well in Illinois in clay soil and bloom for a good
: part of Aug. and Sept.
You might consider Physostegia (Obedient Plant). If you do, make sure that 
you like it BEFORE planting! It is VERY tough and somewhat invasive 
depending on soil, water, etc... 

============================================================================
                                _______  
                               /       |
   James R. Ware              /        |
                             /         |   [email-masked]
   MS Dept. of Archives      |         |   
   Systems Administrator     \         |
   100 S. State St.           |        |   PHONE: (601) 359-6888     
   P.O. Box 571               /        |   FAX:   (601) 359-6905        
   Jackson, MS 39205-0571    /         |
                            |______    |
                                  /    |
                                  \____|
============================================================================

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 23:50:41 -0500

In Zone 3, crocosmia blooms right around then (it may bloom earlier in
warmer climes, I'm not sure).  It's gorgeous, wiht iris-like foliage, and
lots of catalogs carry in in red ("Jupiter"), orange  and yellow...I
forgot the names of those cultivars.  Check it out to see if it would do
OK in clay soil.
 
Best,
 
Carol

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 23:50:41 -0500

Best,
 
Carol