Subject: Need help: what to plant here?

From: [email-masked] (Lucia Eisner Smerage)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 15:08:54 -0400

Hi!  I have a tough problem for you:  I need suggestions as to what to
plant at the bottom of a (stable) sinkhole in the front yard.  I live in
central Florida, and there's a lovely arching bridge over the sinkhole,
and I'd like to plant something along the center support of the bridge
that might grow upward and flower.  It needs to be a plant that can take
the heat/humidity, live in filtered sun, and most importantly not drown,
since the sinkhole drains all the water from the yard whenever it rains. 
I have impatiens and begonia and other annuals along the majority of the
sinkhole, but have nothing on the bottom yet.  (In the past I've just put
impatiens down there, and they did drown).  

I do not want to do wisteria there, since it definitely takes over in a
few seasons here in this area.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lucia

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 16:02:00 GMT

>Thanks for any suggestions!

Willows.  They suck water like crazy.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 07:13:00 GMT

LS> central Florida, and there's a lovely arching bridge over the
LS> sinkhole, and I'd like to plant something along the center support
LS> of the bridge that might grow upward and flower.  It needs to be a
LS> plant that can take the heat/humidity, live in filtered sun, and
LS> most importantly not drown,
Would cat tails grow there?

 * RM 1.3 01256 * Earthquakes are God's way of saying your house is too neat.