Subject: Help with voles/moles

From: [email-masked] (Marvin Klemovitch-Rhoads)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 17:41:59 GMT

Has anybody had any success in dealing with voles, moles and the
havoc they wreak? We lost 44 out of 48 tulips due to voles crawling
through mole runs and attacking our tulip bulbs - cutting off the
plants below the ground.

I've had limited success in dealing with the moles in the past - mostly 
in my yard. I've tried trapping (got some but more move in), vibrating 
spikes (no effect), and chewing gum and moth balls down the holes (no 
effect). I've just now resorted to granular Diazinon to kill the grubs 
which are what the moles are supposedly after in the first place. Jury's 
still out on that one and I hate to use such chemicals unnecessarily.

Anyway, I haven't had prior problems with voles. Is there any specific 
remedy that will counter them? E-mail replies in addition to postings 
would be appreciated. ;>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 20:59:56 -0500

> still out on that one and I hate to use such chemicals unnecessarily.

For moles, correct the conditions that are bringing them: generally
an excess of lawn grubs.  Japanese beetle grubs perhaps?  Or traps.
> remedy that will counter them? E-mail replies in addition to postings 

For voles (meadow mice), my best suggestion is the one heartily
endorsed by my crew of mouse-hounds:  "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty!"

Kay Klier   (and Bearcat, Bad Bess, LittleCat, Lucy-furr, Jinx, Max
             and Hayden the Harmless)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 20:59:56 -0500

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 20:59:56 -0500

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 20:59:56 -0500

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 20:59:56 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] [Maura O'Neill]
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 05:54:42 GMT

the moles in my yard only appear once a year, only push up some ground and don't
hurt anything else, but i know my sister in new mexico SWEARS that sticking one 
end of a large pipe/hose in the hole in the ground and the other end on the 
exhaust pipe of her truck while the engine is running sure gets rid of anything 
down there...good luck, it's hard to lose plants you love, right now i am hand 
picking aprox. 50 spittle bugs an evening off my plants (and everyone says "i 
didn't thing they hurt anything..."
maura, santa cruz county, ca (zone 9 or 10 depending...)

---

From: PATTIBELLE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 01:28:05 -0500

>picking aprox. 50 spittle bugs an evening off my plants (and everyone says "i 
 
Oh, gross!  How I hate spittle bugs!  I got some kind of spray, but it
really doesn't eliminate them on my geums.  Anything but hand picking them!