Subject: garlic

From: [email-masked] (Randy L. Tripp)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 16:05:43 GMT

Will garlic grow in Upstate New York?

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:37:51 GMT

>Will garlic grow in Upstate New York?

My husband does this every year in Rochester.  Both standard
and elephant.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Wendy Taylor)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 10:15:01 -0400

>Will garlic grow in Upstate New York? 
 
Garlic is a hardy perennial (zone 3) that grows well with full 
sun in fertile, well drained soil. 
 
The foliage appears similar to that of onions or scallions with  
gray-green leaves about an inch wide and twelve inches tall. A 
flower stalk, as tall as two feet, will produce a cluster of 
mauve flowers. 
 
A segmented bulb forms at the base of the plant. The segments 
or cloves of this bulb are its means of propagation. Cloves 
should be planted about four inches apart and one inch deep. 
 
Fall planting will produce the largest bulbs but garlic may 
also be planted in early spring. It is very winter hardy but 
should be mulched heavily to prevent frost heaving. 
 
Garlic responds well to feeding. It is susceptible to rot in 
cool damp weather so make sure that the soil is well drained. 
-- 
Wendy                         |Free email herb plant & 
Harbor View Garden Co. |seed catalog available 
[email-masked]  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:37:51 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Wendy Taylor)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 10:15:01 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:37:51 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Wendy Taylor)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 10:15:01 -0400