Subject: Re: What Zone is Toledo, Ohio in?

From: [email-masked] (Nartker)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 09:20:26 -0400

What Zone is Toledo, Ohio in? I keep seeing differing numbers.  One book
says 
4 another says 5.  When is a good time to plant a garden here?

Thanks Dan

It will depend on your location.  ie your proximity to Maumee Bay, an
extension of Lake Erie.

---

From: Leslie Troutman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:35:27 -0500

After last night's record lows -- 12 degrees, was it? -- you'd think they 
were in northern Canada!
Leslie (whose freshly planted onion transplants and tomatoes in WoWs 
survived the lower 20s in east central Illinois)
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Nartker)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 09:20:26 -0400

Thanks Dan

---

From: Leslie Troutman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:35:27 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Nartker)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 09:20:26 -0400

Thanks Dan

---

From: Leslie Troutman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:35:27 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Debra Roby)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 12:48:30 GMT

>It will depend on your location.  ie your proximity to Maumee Bay, an
I learned a little trick a few years ago that helps a lot in timing your
plantings where you are near the lake.  

Plant your cool season plants when
the forsythia bloom (mine bloomed last weekend when it snowed.  I'll plant
as soon as the snow stops).  

Plant your warm season plants when the lilacs bloom.  (usually areound the
end of May). 

These are general indications that the soil is warmed to the degree that
the plants need.

hth