Subject: Re: Compost pile - dog poop okay?

From: WALKEM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 16:29:42 GMT

[stuff deleted]

>Hmmm... And why are dog poops not okay yet we all love
>getting horse, cow, rabbit, etc poops for the compost pile?
>Most of the diseases these animals, including dogs, get
>don't cross over to humans but all of them do have some
>diseases that do cross over so that would not seem to be
>the reason. I'm curious as to why several people have said
>that dog and cat poops are a public health hazard in the
>compost pile yet people advocate using cow, horse and
>rabbit manure in the garden and compost pile.
>

I don't know the details, but from what I've seen on this newsgroup and read
elsewhere, the difference is that dogs and cats (and people, sometimes) are
carnivores, while horses, cows, and rabbits are herbivores.  Apparantly, the
bacteria, viruses, and/or parasites that live in the intestines of carnivores
are dangerous to humans, whereas those from herbivores are not.  

I think the conventional wisdom is that carnivore poop is a no-no, but
herbivore poop is OK.  (However, I wouldn't recommend using vegetarian people
poop, either, in case you're wondering).

==================================================

All opinions expressed here have nothing whatsoever to do 
with anything espoused by AT&T!

---

From: [email-masked] (Walter Vose Jeffries)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 21:50:34 EST

In article <[email-masked]> (rec.gardens), [email-masked] writes:
> > My husband asked me to post this....he picks up quite a bit of this disgusting 
> > stuff every morning (we have two good-sized dogs) and he wants to throw it on 
> > my just started compost pile.
> 
> It'll work, but it's not a great idea from a public health standpoint or
> a stench standpoint.

----------------------------------------------------------------
BlackLightning, Riddle Pond Rd, West Topsham, Vermont 05086  USA
Sales: 1-800-252-2599 x01 or (802) 439-6462   Fax:(802) 439-6463
For wild ideas in laser printing & desktop publishing send email
subject:INDEX,TRANSFER TONER,FLASH MAGAZINE to:[email-masked]

Censorship is for bureaucrats - Stop the government, before they
fuck you. Fight Senate Bill 314 and 1995 Telecommunications Act.
Send subject CENSOR-S314 to [email-masked] for details.

---

From: Bryce Grevemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 14:16:58 GMT

> rabbit manure in the garden and compost pile.

I do note that cats and dogs are carnivores and the others
are herbivores. That might make a difference.

Many years ago, I took care of an abused German shepherd for 
a few weeks.  Not knowing what else to do with it, (as well 
as being a lazy bachelor) I simply used a strong spray from 
the garden hose to convert the piles into a slurry in the 
grass, right where it lay.  Later, after the dog had found 
a permanent home I noted that I had "spots" all over the back 
yard where the grass was much greener and grew taller and 
faster than the lawn in general.

	Bryce

---

From: [email-masked] (Ravi Vaidyanathan)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 02:43:08 GMT

Maybe its because cows and horses are vegetarians while dogs are
not.  Vegetable based wastes are not a health hazard when they
decay, however animal wastes are.  So for your own health its
best not to rake your dog poop into the compost pile.

Ravi

---

From: WALKEM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 16:29:42 GMT

[stuff deleted]

---

From: Bryce Grevemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 14:16:58 GMT

Bryce

---

From: [email-masked] (Ravi Vaidyanathan)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 02:43:08 GMT

Ravi

---

From: [email-masked] (Ravi Vaidyanathan)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 02:43:08 GMT

Ravi

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:45:17 GMT

>rabbit manure in the garden and compost pile.

Because dogs and cats share several enteric viruses with humans
that herbivores do not.  However, if you let your compost pile cook
hot, or cook long, it shouldn't be a problem.  I have been putting the
dog feces in the compost pile -- which sits for a year before being
used -- for 20 years now with no problem.  And no smell problem,
either.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:45:17 GMT

Chris Owens