Subject: Re: Salvia from Seed: Can I? Should I?

From: [email-masked] (Joann M. Hnat)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 15:19:37 -0400

CRMc ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Salvia (both blue and red) from last year produced tons of seeds -- I 
: saved lots of 'em to plant this year.  I'm planning to try to direct 
: seed a flower bed with them (as opposed to starting the salvia inside). 
:  Am I wasting my time, or has someone else had success with this?

: While I'm at it, what about the same direct seeding technique for:
: --marigolds
: --asters
: --impatiens
: --zinnia
: --cosmos

You don't say where you live, so I'm not sure that my advice will help 
you much (I live in zone 6, eastern Massachusetts), but my experience is 
that salvia and impatiens grow too slowly to direct-seed here, marigolds, 
zinnia, and cosmos do fine, and I don't know about asters (although I'm 
growing some inside this year for transplants).

  .. Joann