Subject: How long to sprout amaryllis seeds?

From: [email-masked] (Heather Bean)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 19:40:03 -0700

Does anyone have any experience regarding how long amaryllis seeds take to 
sprout?  I have some rather old seeds given to me by my grandmother -- I'm
sure not many will sprout, but I have so many I'm hoping for at least one.  
I just want to know how long I should wait before I give up and try the next
batch.  I've been putting them on moist seed starting mix, covering them very
lightly, putting the container in a bag, and setting them on the seed starting 
heat mat -- the usual regimen that I generally have very good luck with, 
although I've never tried amaryllis before.  If anyone has any other tips 
specific to starting amaryllis, I'd love to hear those too!

Thank You!

Heather Bean

---

From: "A.L. Vogel" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 11:54:10 GMT

[email-masked] (Heather Bean) wrote:
> sprout?  

If your amaryllis seeds are of the kind of plant usually grown 
indoors, Hippeastrum hybrids, the book _Park's Success With Seeds_ 
says germination takes 4 to 6 weeks. It also says to plant the seeds 
on their sides (on edge?). Good luck with your grandmother's seeds.

Gina