Subject: Student Quest-Tree Grafting

From: [email-masked] (Cory Wisnia)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 22:11:34 GMT

To whom it may concern

 Hello, my name is Ryan Rhoades, I am an 8th grader at Mendocino Middle
School, in Mendocino California. I am doing a project on the grafting and
reproduction of small trees. My investigative question is: What is the
process and the success rate for grafting and taking cuttings to reproduce
small trees? (I am particularly interested Japanese Maples.) I am doing
this project for a science class,  I have also been working very hard on a
small garden at home involving Japanese Maples. I have spent a bit of time
working in a Japanese Maple nursery, and I am very fascinated with the
trees. I really like varieties such as the Acre, Palmate, Bloodgood. My
school library is very small and has limited resources, but I have a very
nice book on the topic. I know the success rate is somewhere around 40%.  I
am curious as to why you have to graft to reproduce a type of tree instead
of just taking it's seeds. I am also interested in how you can increase the
success rate. I would really appreciate any information on this topic. If
you know sites where I could look for information, for I have the following
internet resources Turbo Gopher, WWW, Netscape, Newswatcher and E-mail,
that would also be very helpful. 

Thanks,

Ryan Rhoades
Please E-mail in care of my teacher Cory Wisina at
[email-masked]
or to me at home
[email-masked]