Subject: Re: vegetable plants for containers

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Mar 1995 22:52:08 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (LEX LOCI 1) writes:
>Can anyone give me some good varieties of
>vegetables(tomatoes,greens,herbs,spinach) that will grow well in
>containers in an urban garden,specifically Philadelphia?
If you can get a hold of a book called "Edible Landscaping", it will help you out
with info on varieties as well as some neat ideas for container gardening with
veggies.

Dawn Campbell

---

From: [email-masked] (Wham108550)
Date: 9 Mar 1995 23:42:26 -0500

Cherry tomatoes, Chives, Sage, Oregano and Parsley have done real well for
me in pots

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 95 16:49:59 EST

>>containers in an urban garden,specifically Philadelphia?
 
I've grown a variety of tomatoes and lots of that green leafy stuff
I add to a salad.  Last year my raised beds were much, much smaller
than my "need to get in" list so many of the plants I couldn't find
homes for - I gave plants at the office and other gatherings - went
into containers.  I drafted lots of 2nd use buckets from bulk bird
seed purchases and construction projects - nothing fancy.  I had
eggplants, beans, peppers * *.  I treated them similar to their sister
plants in the raised beds - additional watering was required - and
saw little difference in their development or produce.
 
I think I was lucky gardening just across the river from you.
 
I have noticed a number of seed catalogs with specific recomendations
for container gardening.  I had seen such recomendations from Shepherd's
and spoke with Renee Shepherd at the Philadelphia flower show and she
confirmed their experience and suggested I container garden with more
judicious selection.

---

From: [email-masked] (WEIR ANDREW L)
Date: 9 Mar 95 17:56:51 GMT

[email-masked] (LEX LOCI 1) writes:
Depends upon the size of the containers - if they're large enough you can
grow anything. There are many smaller or dwarf varieties available of most
common vegetable crops. I'm growing Tom Thumb lettuce (matures about 6 inches
across), and Patio Hybrid II cherry tomatoes in some smaller containers, as
well as a whole range of standard tomato and pepper varieties in larger
containers. Some veggies, such as broccoli, seem to me to be a waste of space - they can grow
exceedingly large and take up valuable room (always the big constraint in a
container garden).

Most herbs do very well in containers (some, like dill, do need
more room as there tap roots are quite long), and you can keep them
going for years (perennials, anyway) by bringing them in for the winter.