Subject: Re: Heat & Light for Seeds

From: [email-masked] (Jill Arnson)
Date: 9 Mar 1995 21:40:14 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
TIGIBSON <[email-masked]> wrote:
>do seedlings have to have artificial light? i'd like to get by with a
>southern exposure. input please.

	A sunny window is fine. However, the AMOUNT of daylight the plants
need at this time of year calls for artificial light.  You need to give
your seedlings (almost any in fact) about 14-16 hours of daylight for them
to grow properly.  Otherwise you end up with spindly sickly looking things.
Thisk about when seeds would come up in nature - its after the last frost
where daylight hours are at least 14 hours a day.

jill

-- 
Jill C. Arnson
Omnipoint Corporation
Colorado Springs, Co  (but Denver's where I hang my hat)
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 14 Mar 1995 19:38:16 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (TIGIBSON) writes:
|>do seedlings have to have artificial light? i'd like to get by with a
|>southern exposure. input please.
|>ti
|>
|>tigibson
|>

Last year that's just what I did - we put all the seedlings in our only
south facing window, and they seemed to do just fine.  They were a little
leggy, but I understand (from someone else in this newsgroup) that a little
gentle air flow will help that a little.

Regards,

- Tom

---

From: [email-masked] (Donna Maroni)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 22:54:15 GMT

A plant professional told me that a pane of glass between seedlings and 
the sun is equivalent to a big shade tree between seedlings and sun.  If 
you do decide to use lights, no need to spend lots of money on plant grow 
lights.  One tube of cool white and one of daylight fluorescents does a 
pretty good job of mimicking natural light, I've heard.  It works for 
me.  But the output decreases with time, so they should not be used until 
they burn out naturally.  

: >do seedlings have to have artificial light? i'd like to get by with a
: >southern exposure. input please.