Subject: Re: Raised Bed Vegetable Gardening

From: [email-masked] (Michelle A. Berteig)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:26:49 GMT

Hi,

I asked the same question a couple of months ago.  I received several
recommendations for the book "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel
Bartholomew.  I got it, read it, and I think it's great!  I would
also definitely recommend it.  I have 3 4 X 4 beds right now, I planted
seeds about 1-2 weeks ago (once it finally decided to stop raining
in S. Calif.!), and I now have sprouts of radishes, corn, beets,
marigolds, tomatoes, and peppers!  This is my first garden, and
I've been having fun with it.  Anyway, good luck!

-Michelle

---

From: Ron Muir <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 1995 21:01:21 GMT

Would someone be kind enough to point me toward some good references to   
assist me in building a raised bed vegetable garden for my wife. This is   
my spring project for her and I have been unable to find a good reference   
to give me ideas, and or do's and don'ts. 
 
Thank you in advance, I look forward to your responses. 
 
Ron Muir 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (GARDEN 7)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 21:44:24 -0400

The Garden Primer, by Barbara Damrosch is a great gardening book.  It
has a section on raised beds.  It's the first book I go to if I have a
question on gardening.
                                                            T. Taylor

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 00:06:09 -0500

>to give me ideas, and or do's and don'ts. 
 
Tanya Denckla in *Gardening at a Glance* (my vegetable bible) recommends
*High Yield Gardening* by Marjorie Hunt and Brenda Bortz, Rodale Press, Emmaus,
PA.
 
Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (Michelle A. Berteig)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:26:49 GMT

Hi,

-Michelle

---

From: [email-masked] (GARDEN 7)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 21:44:24 -0400

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 00:06:09 -0500

Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (Michelle A. Berteig)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:26:49 GMT

Hi,

-Michelle

---

From: [email-masked] (GARDEN 7)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 21:44:24 -0400

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 00:06:09 -0500

Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Gorham)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 19:54:32 GMT

Check out "How to Grow More Vegetables..."
By John Jeavons. Ten Speed Press.
It's an excellent resource. Enjoy...

Bruce

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Gorham)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 19:54:32 GMT

Bruce

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Gorham)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 19:54:32 GMT

Bruce

---

From: John J. McGeough <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 04:44:35 GMT

Hi Ron:

Square Foot Gardening is wonderful.  I would also recommend:

     Jeff Ball's 60 Minute Vegetable Garden
     Collier Books
     Macmillan Publishing Co.
     ISBN 0-02-030376-9

I got my copy at Super Crown which I think is nationwide.  @10.00 
with the Super Crown discount.  I designed my new raised beds at 
my new home according to his system planting pretty much by Mel's 
Square Foot methods.  So far great success.  

Best of luck,

John J. McGeough 

-- 
John J. McGeough
Raised bed veggies or bust!