Subject: Re: How good is Heronswood Nursery?

From: [email-masked] (Stephanie Feeney)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 15:19:52 GMT

Greetings from a Heronswood fan,
I have ordered from Heronswood for the past 4 years, and had the good fortune 
to visit the nursery severaltimes (it is by appointment only and located on 
the Kitsap Peninsula which requires a ferry ride.)  Their selection really is 
ecclectic partly due to the fact that Dan Hinkley travels around the world on 
plant collection trips.  he spent 5 weeks last year in Korea and is about to 
leave for Nepal/the Himalayas.  Much as I love and adore the people and 
selection of this fine nursery I would pass along one caveat:  you can spend a 
lot of money on very special plants that may or may not do well for you in 
your locale.  A word of caution is in order to select what has a chance to 
grow for you in your site and then care well for these plants.  Many of them 
are new to residential gardeners and are not the tough as nails, abuse me if 
you will varieties.  I believe they are well grown by talented professionals, 
but a bit more responsibility will be on your shoulders to establish them 
well.  Personally, I think it is worth it--I only wish I had been more careful 
with some of the things I purchased early on from them.
Hope I haven't been too discouraging!
Cheers, Stephanie Feeney
"The Northwest Gardeners' Resource Directory"
[email-masked]