Subject: Re: Mosquito Plants

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 20 Mar 1995 16:49:47 GMT

There are citronella plants that are available.  I have seen them from a
couple of mail order sources - you'll often find them in the section of
scented geraniums.  I don't know if they work or not - I managed to kill
the ones that I bought before I got a chance to test them, but they do 
smell like the citronella candles you can buy in the stores.

fwiw,

- Tom

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Cheung)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 13:39:40 GMT

>couple of mail order sources - you'll often find them in the section of

We planted three last year, and they did well.  Growing to 2-3 feet in height,
they only give off scent when they are brushed aggresively.  Overall we did not
know if they made a difference.  They do smell like citronella candles, but
you would have to constantly rub and brush them to get any scent.

One was brought in for the winter (the others died) into a bathroom.  Since we
don't regularly brush it -> no scent, not even in a smallish room.

+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|          Edward Cheung, Ph.D.         |  The opinions expressed herein    |
|Satellite Servicing Robotics Laboratory|    do not necessarily reflect     |
|    NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   |       those of my employers'      |
|         Code 714.1, Bldg T11B         |                                   |
|          Greenbelt, MD 20771          |                                   |
|   301-286-1269(office) 286-1717(fax)  |  My next book:                    |
| Internet: [email-masked] | Statistics, Demos and Other Lies  |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Cheung)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 13:39:40 GMT