Subject: Re: Getting Rid of Daylillies!

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Mar 95 09:07:03 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Maureen Greenlaw) writes:
> In the next month or so we will be putting in a patio. ( Material unknown
> at
> this time).  However, right in the middle of this area is a garden of day-
> lilies.  I intend to try to dig a lot of them up, but experience has taught
> me that I'll never get all the roots up.  Can I kill what's left?  Is there
> anything on the market that will do the job.  I know they're a very strong
> plant.  I'm afraid that we'll complete the patio and next year perhaps
> these
> plants will try to come through the cracks.  Appreciate any info.  Thanks.

If you have only a month to accomplish this, you can't use a smothering
mulch or solarization to accomplish this.  Are the plants up and greeen?
If so, glyphosate (Roundup, Kleenup, etc.) should do the trick.

If you are using something like bricks or flagstones laid in sand, you'll
want to put a weed barrier down anyway, which should do the trick.

About the only other things I can suggest would be to salt the soil
heavily in the area of the daylilies, or use a flamethrower or
boiling water to cook the plants.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: Mark Sartor <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Mar 1995 15:01:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Peter Leppik, [email-masked]
writes:
>Daylilies are a real nuisance to get rid of, if you ever have to.

Oh Pshaw!
Daylilies are a cinch to get rid of... (just dig out the clumps and
shake off the dirt...)

Now MINT, Thats a tough one to get rid of!

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael E. Matthews)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:03:37 GMT

I know this is not the sort of suggestion you asked for, but
whynot build the patio around the daylilies? It would add
interest and save on whatever building materials you decide to
use.  I made a brick patio, and left space within it for a
brick-outlined-and-divided herb garden.  The bricks keep out
weeds, the herbs meant I needed less bricks, and it looks nice.
It keeps my yard from looking too much like a parking lot.

Michael in central VA

---

From: Peter Leppik <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Mar 1995 18:17:37 GMT

> plants will try to come through the cracks.  Appreciate any info.  
Thanks.

Daylilies are a real nuisance to get rid of, if you ever have to.  It 
helps if they're reasonably confined, but if they aren't, I don't think 
you can get away with too many shortcuts.

I would go around and dig up the entire patch to a depth of about 12", 
and to a distance of about 18" from the outermost shoots.  Shake the 
dirt off the roots and put it back (its perfectly good dirt), and give 
the roots to a neighbor or someone else who wants daylilies.

Then, wait about two weeks for new shoots.  Pull up any you see by hand.  
Rinse, lather, repeat.

Or, if you want to do the chemical thing, I suggest RoundUp.  It'll kill 
them eventually, though it may take several applications.  As always, 
follow the package instructions.

Good luck.
-----
Peter Leppik                                   [email-masked]

Lost in the Information Supercollider

http://seidel.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Dickow)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 00:33:47 GMT

> plant.  I'm afraid that we'll complete the patio and next year perhaps

Roundup!

--

--Bob Dickow ([email-masked])

---

From: Gail Harless <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 1995 23:01:35 GMT

How sad!  Eradicating your daylilies!  I loved Michael Matthews' idea.

I checked your address.  You appear to live in Rhode Island.  If I
didn't live so far away (Maryland), I'd come to get them for you!

Can you post a notice at the supermarket, ask neighbors, etc.?  I'm
sure somebody must want them!

Gail

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Dickow)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 00:33:47 GMT

Roundup!

--

---

From: Gail Harless <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 1995 23:01:35 GMT

Gail