Subject: Re: How do you prevent rose leaves getting black dots?

From: [email-masked] (Steven Moore)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 07:46:32 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Dr. Glenn
Lasseigne) wrote:

> I have had good success by completely removing and replacing the mulch
> each year.  I throw the old mulch on my lawn.  I don't use fungicides,
> (I'm just too lazy).  I read somewhere that black spot overwinters
> on the ground -- I don't know if it is true, but I have had a LOT less
> black spot since I've been replacing the mulch.
> 
> glenn   [email-masked]

Very good idea! The spores which spread black spot do overwinter on the
ground. Replacing the mulch in the spring will greatly inhibit their
spread.
-- 
Cheers...Steven 
€ € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € 
   Steven Moore - Freelance Writer
          [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (AGodston)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 20:42:09 -0400

You're right...black spot will overwinter on the ground below the rose
only to reappear again the next year.  You can do two things.  You can
cover the decaying material with mulch or you can carefully rake out last
years debris.  What causes it is the spores that hop around under and onto
the plant.  So you can either cover it(mulch) or remove it.  In either
case the spores will be inhibited.  Good Luck!

---

From: [email-masked] (AGodston)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 20:42:09 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (AGodston)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 20:42:09 -0400