Subject: witch hazel bloom time - update

From: [email-masked] (Kezia K)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 15:15:08 -0500

Hi all --

A while ago I asked when witch hazel bloomed, and it sounded like most
bloomed in the fall.  Well, mine is blooming now!  It's very pretty,with
lemon yellow flowers.  I think it's virginiana.

Also have pussy willows in open bud.

KeziaK
Northern VA

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 20:05:32 GMT

[email-masked] (Kezia K) wrote:
>
> Hi all --
> 
> A while ago I asked when witch hazel bloomed...

The native witch hazel, Hamamellis virginica, blooms in the fall.
The others, H. japonia and H. intermedia. bloom in the spring.  In 
fact, my H. intermedia "Arnold Promise" was in full bloom yesterday 
here in Milwaukee.
Don Martinson				
[email-masked]

"Existing order thrives upon ignorance and lies.  
Objective truth and individual reason are feared above all."

---

From: Bob Bland <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 03:37:11 GMT

There are both fall and spring (late winter) blooming witch 
hazels. In Boston, the springs ones usually bloom in early March, 
but actually started this year in our false spring back in 
January. Now they are blooming fully, but not as brightly as in 
years past.