Subject: Re: Propose new group: alt.living.tightwad

From: [email-masked] (Jeanne Hinds)
Date: 9 Mar 1995 14:27:17 GMT

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Six months ago I seriously thought of starting an alt.
group for tightwads based on the Tightwad Gazette but couldn't due to
other priorities.  SO, I am thrilled that someone else is proposing it!
 Yea!

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------+
| Jeanne Hinds                            | Creativity is the art of  |
| [email-masked]           | concealing one's sources. |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Debrayanna)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 95 22:36:23 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>Also, if this group would 
: interest you, please post a response saying so.  
Ya, I think it is a good idea.....I'll follow it and add what I can..

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Hartung)
Date: 10 Mar 1995 17:51:14 -0600

Larry Smith USG <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Folks, while I think the idea has merit, I must remind you
>that alt groups are not debated in news.groups, they are
>_not_ part of the "big 7" hierarchy.  If you want an alt
>group, take it to alt.config.  If you want one in misc,
>rec,soc,sci,news,comp, or talk, then keep it here.

Good point, except that that hasn't been decided yet.

-- 
 Daniel A. Hartung             |  Support the new Arts/Humanities hierarchy!
 [email-masked]              |  
 [email-masked]    |  Look for the "humanities.misc" CFV
 http://www.mcs.net/~dhartung/ |  in news.announce.newgroups

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Keith Pine (Piner))
Date: 13 Mar 1995 21:59:53 GMT

S. Rennacker ([email-masked]) wrote:
: As I approach retirement with modest assets, I have been considering a 
: newgroup to help participants learn from each other how and where to get 
: the most for their money with a special focus on (but not limited to) health 
: care, cost of living, etc. This seems related to "tightwad" living, so 
: long as the primary focus is on getting the most for one's money rather 
: than on self-sufficiency through more work and/or recycling, etc.

Well, a frugal newsgroup would definitely include health care, cost of
living, and other things you are interested in since these all factor
into your overall budget and need to be minimized. I would say that the
whole point of a frugal newsgroup is getting the most for your money,
whether this involves buying things at a store inexpensively, a garage
sale, or reusing things you already have.  But even getting the best
deals buying new at a store requires extra work.

It would still include things on being more self-sufficient and
recycling things.  Of course a lot of people might not have the time
or patience to do things like grow a garden or do their own canning.
But I don't think these will be a big part of the group, especially
because I would expect a lot of discussion  on these topics that don't
address frugality to end up in rec.gardens and rec.food.preserving.
But you are rarely going to be interested in everything discussed in one
particular group.

The bottom line is that I think you will find that the eventual frugal
newsgroup to be what you are looking for.

-Brian

---

From: [email-masked] (Alice Ramirez)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 14:08:22 -0800

I love this idea.  Maybe there could also be an
alt.living.tightward.support for those of us who have problems with
being and staying frugal

---

From: [email-masked] (Renette Peterson)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:08:19

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Brian Keith Pine (Piner)) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Brian Keith Pine (Piner))
>Subject: Re: Propose new group: alt.living.tightwad
>Date: 8 Mar 1995 10:02:08 GMT

>Jonathan Grobe ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Brian Keith Pine (Piner)) writes:
>: >
>: >I am proposing that a new group be created for discussing everything about
>: >frugal living.  

>: Proposed alt.groups are discussed in alt.config. 
>: The name is poor, since it starts a new hierarchy (it is desirable to
>: related groups be in hierarchies with related groups--they are easier to
>: find).
>: Perhaps alt.consumers.frugal ?  There already is an alt.consumers.free-stuff.

>Note: Follow-up has been changed to alt.config, instead of news.config and
>news.groups.

>Well, there is also already a misc.consumers.  I considered
>misc.consumers.frugal, but being frugal is really an overal lifestyle, hence
>the choice alt.LIVING.frugal.  When I think of "consumers" I think of
>going out and purchasing new products at a store, whereas being frugal would
>include aquiring lots of used products at garage sales and the like.  It
>would also include things like bulk-buying of raw, natural foods, which
>doesn't fit the overall feel of misc.consumers, nor does it fit with
>the food/cooking groups since they are concerned with cooking and eating,
>not saving money on the food bill.  Hence the need for a group where the
>overall focus is saving money.

>Since an off-shoot of being frugal is minimizing your "consumerism",
>the group names alt.consumers.frugal or misc.consumers.frugal still
>does not sound appropriate.

>Yes, I know it is best to base it on an existing hierarchy, but none
>seemed to fit.  How about a new suggestion of:

>  alt.frugal

>This would be cleaner and simpler. 

>I am still interested if anyone else would be interested in a group
>like this.

>BTW, thanks for the info on starting new groups.

---

From: [email-masked] (Lisa Yee)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 21:18:13 GMT

Count me in.  Since buying our house, living cheaply has become my biggest
hobby!!!  (it's also the only hobby I can afford!!) <:

Lisa Yee
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Walter Roberson)
Date: 16 Mar 1995 03:09:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Lisa Yee <[email-masked]> wrote:
Newsgroups: news.config,news.groups,misc.consumers,misc.rural,rec.gardens

>Count me in.  Since buying our house, living cheaply has become my biggest

news.config has NOTHING to do with creating new newsgroups!
alt.* groups get created through alt.config . "Big 7" groups get
created via news.announce.newgroups with discussion in news.groups .

I think I'm really looking forward to having news.config blown out of
the water so that people will no longer be able to make this mistake.

   Walter Roberson              [email-masked]