Subject: Re: spiderplants

From: [email-masked] (Scott shy)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 13:08:40 EST

BIn article <1995Mar26.164903.42311@miavx1>, [email-masked]
> (Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum.) says:
>>
>>I'm sure this isn't the right newsgroup but I can't find a
> better one for
>>this question.  I got a variegated spiderplant 2 months back
> and lately
>>it's been turning brown rather quickly.  Why?  Does it need
> brighter light?
>>less light?  more water?  less water?  I've never cared for
> spider plants
>>before and was under the assumption they were basically indestructible!
>>Well, why doesn't *this* plant know that?!?!  =)
>>
>>--Dennis
>Dear Dennis,
     This seems to work for me. I have one motherplant(12" pot) and
seven babies(in 3-8"pots) that seem to be very happy. The "mom" is in an
east-facing window and the babies receive light from a frosted west
window. I usually water them about once a week whether they need it or
not and I make sure that the water actually seeps thru the bottom of the
pot before I stop watering. Maybe every other watering or so, I add just
a tiney bit of Miracle-Gro to the water to give them a treat and I
always make sure to clip off any brown leaves or leaf tips that I see.
Incidentally, the mom has 25-30 babies hanging from her and the babies
in pots came right from her about a year ago. I've heard that some of
the worst problems come from overwatering during the winter and that
some people like to use fish-emulsion fertilizer for good results.
Sometimes it's good to dust the leaves evey now and then too.
Good luck!
Tammy
> Good luck--
>they can be beautiful--and I hear beneficial to the enviro??
>
>Cheers...Colleen

         ok

Gateway Online ... 38 Line Multi-user Interactive Information System
Taylor, Michigan - (313)291-5571 2400 baud (313)291-5571 9600 baud
Sysops: Bill Mullen - Jeff Breitner

---

From: [email-masked] (Cara Vandy)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 18:12:32 -0400

While we're on the topic....  This winter is the first time I've 
ever gotten a spider plant to reproduce (brag, brag :).  It spent last 
summer outdoors in the ground (southern NJ), thrived, I dug it up in October, 
stuck it, 
with a big clump of soil still around the roots, in a tall black plastic 
pot, and left it there by a window.  I meant to pot it properly, but 
forgot about it.  It's happy as can be, as far as I can tell.  The plant 
is sunk deep in the pot, since the only dirt is directly  around the roots, 
and the leaves stick out over the top, babies too.  It gets water 
sometimes, some light, and the company of a snake plant.  
I tend to think it was the season outside that caused this hardiness. 
Opinions ?  (and I know spiders are hardy, easy-grow plants, but I've 
never had one do this well, and this is taking hardy a little far).

		Cara

---

From: [email-masked] (Cara Vandy)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 18:12:32 -0400

Cara