Subject: Wayside Gardens

From: [email-masked] (Glenn T. Welsh)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 15:43:53 GMT

Prices to high! Quality too low. That's my experience. But they have great 
pictures to help you through the winter! 

Glenn

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 20:16:53 GMT

[email-masked] (Glenn T. Welsh) wrote:
>I've been ordering from Wayside for over 10 years now and have almost
always found their quality to be excellent.  Any problems that I encountered
(and there were a few), they corrected and gave a refund/replacement
with no questions asked.  Yes, they are pricey, but you generally get
what you pay for. "Good plants are not cheap and cheap plants are not
good."  However, it does pay to shop around.  Wayside is an intermediate
dealer for many of the plants that they offer and if you shop at some
of the smaller, more specialized plantsmen, you can save quite a bit.
Example, a friend wanted a weeping pussywillow, Salix capreolata cv.
pendula.  Wayside wanted over $100 for it, but I found it offered by
Arborvillage Farm Nursery (Holt, MO) for $35.00.
Don Martinson				
[email-masked]

"Existing order thrives upon ignorance and lies.  
Objective truth and individual reason are feared above all."

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 21:07:30 GMT

>pictures to help you through the winter! 

I agree.  I buy from them what I can't get from another source.  My
experience has been that their woody plants are good quality, and the
herbaceous stuff is chancier.  But they do honor the guarantee when
things go wrong.  Of course, so do a lot of much cheaper places.  But the
pictures--I'll bet their catalog has gotten more people entrapped into
gardening than any other single thing.
														                                       -Sue Sanders

---

From: [email-masked] (Jane Bergen)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 06:34:19 GMT

>pictures to help you through the winter! 
I just received my order of three Clematis plants from Park and the instructions they
included said something about Wayside gardens. Is Park a subsidiary/parent of Wayside
or do they get their plants from Wayside? Inquiring minds want to know......

Jane Bergen

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 17:56:58 GMT

[email-masked] (Jane Bergen) wrote:

>Wayside Gardens and Park Seeds are indeed under the same ownership,
with Wayside specializing in plants and Park in seeds and a few plants.
Don Martinson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Boyd Zenner)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 19:09:55 GMT

> pictures to help you through the winter! 

I agree with the above. Wayside is a tantalizing source book,
and they boast a broad variety of plant materials.  Still, their
offerings within a particular species are quite modest when compared
to specialist nurseries, which also are often considerably less
expensive and can offer you more knowledgeable advice if you
phone them.

One thing Wayside _does_ do, apparently, is carry huge stocks of
each offering: I have never found them to be out of anything I
have ordered from them.

Boyd
Zone 7 (Central VA)

---

From: Susan Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 16:26:28 GMT

>each offering: I have never found them to be out of anything I

Oh, I have; actually probably just slightly more often then other places
I order from (but then I generally just order from them things I can't
find from other places, which may be the type of things that are likely
to be in short supply).      -Sue Sanders

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Mar 1995 02:39:11 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Boyd  Zenner) writes:
>[email-masked]  writes:
>> My parents bought my husband and me a 'Betty Prior' rose from Wayside
for Christmas.  It arrived at the appropriate planting time.  It was in very
good condition (they had pre-pruned it).  They enclosed very detailed planting
instructions.  And, last but not least, it's growing!  I just planted it a couple 
weeks ago and it has leaves on it already.  I will probably order from them
myself sometime... Just my $.02.

Erica

P.S. Price was comparable to local nursery.

>each offering: I have never found them to be out of anything I

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  @@@@   @@@@       @  @@@@   | I'm Warped, alright.                      |
| @    @ @    @     @  @    @  |                                           |
| @    @  @@       @      @@   | Dan Simpson                               |
| @    @    @@    @     @@     | Bainbridge Island, WA                     |
| @    @ @    @  @     @       |                                           |
|  @@@@   @@@@  @      @@@@@@  | [email-masked]                       |
+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Mar 1995 02:39:11 GMT

Erica