Subject: Pesky grass

From: [email-masked] (MarkaH1522)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 19:30:28 -0500

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of grass growing in shrubs and
perennials? Previous owners of our home planted some peonies and lilacs
that are lovely except for the grass that is intermingled with them. I
can't get rid of it all by hand and I'd prefer some non-toxic ideas since
I have kids. Thanks.

j.a.hamilton
j.a.h.

---

From: [email-masked] (OkieDeb)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 19:08:39 -0500

What kind of grass?  The bermuda I had to remove to make my flower borders
has been uncooperative about staying out of them.  Gave up trying to weed
by hand and used Grass-B-Gone (I think that's the name).  I'm sure it's
very toxic, but it won't kill flowers and shrubs if it drifts a little and
really gets at the roots of the established grasses.  After it dries it
should be safe (I think, unless kids or pets would actually be grazing on
the grass).

Good luck!

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan K Poulsen)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 05:56:07 GMT

Wow, this is a tough one. What is the active ingredient in Grass-B-Gone? 
The problem is that you want to kill the grass but NOT the lilac, etc. 
The only thing I can think of is using glyphosate (Round-up) but applying 
it in a wick form (i.e. a roll on, like deodorant). Since glyphosate 
translocates throughout the plant, applying it by wiping it on the leaf 
blades should do the trick. You might be able to get away with a spray on 
the lilac but DO NOT allow spray to contact with leaves or green bark of 
trees or shrubs (IMHO too risky).
  I would not term glyphosate as toxic to non-plants i.e. children (boy will 
that statement put me in hot water ;->)

Can somebody give some possible insight on fluazifop-p-butyl (trade name 
= fusilade II)?

Whatever you decide, check the manufactures directions for labelled 
species before use. I look forward to hearing about your solution.

		Best of luck

						Jonathan

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan K Poulsen)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 05:58:44 GMT

: Does anyone know of a way to get rid of grass growing in shrubs and
: perennials? ...

Just a secondary thought. How about trying to smother the grass with some 
type of mulch? Would this create other problems?
	
	This one really has me stumped ...

					Jonathan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Mar 95 19:22:39 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jonathan K Poulsen) writes:
> 	This one really has me stumped.

I'd definitely use mulch, probably cardboard covered with "something
prettier" like grass clippings or wood mulch.  Weed the bed as best
as you can, and cover the soil with plain corrugated cardboard.  This
will block light from the remaining sprouts that are going to come up,
and will eventually kill perennial weeds.  The cardboard will disintegrate
by the end of the growing season.  

Next year, mulch heavily with more grass clippings, leaves, shredded
wood, or what have you...  attempt to keep about 2-4" of mulch on the 
bed.

Remember that the cardboard and other organic mulches will rot in
place, adding to your soil organic matter, but using up soil nitrogen
in the process, so you may need to add a higher nitrogen fertilizer than 
you'd normally use.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Werner Stern)
Date: 9 Apr 95 19:23:00 GMT

TO: [email-masked]

FROM: [email-masked]

JK>.@SUBJECT:Re: Pesky grass
JK>.@N FROM   :[email-masked]
JK>.@N MSGID  :<[email-masked]>
JK>N Path:
JK>uupsi!psinntp!news.intercon.com!udel!gatech!howland.reston.ans.net!
tor
JK>n!ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.c From: [email-masked] (Jonathan K
JK>Poulsen) Newsgroups: rec.gardens
JK>Subject: Re: Pesky grass
JK>Date: 26 Mar 1995 05:58:44 GMT
JK>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

JK>: Does anyone know of a way to get rid of grass growing in shrubs
JK>: and perennials? ...

JK>Just a secondary thought. How about trying to smother the grass
JK>with some  type of mulch? Would this create other problems?

JK>This one really has me stumped ...

The best way is to put a good heavy mulch down. Later some grass will 
poke its way through and you'll be able to pull it out. I don't 
recommend any herbicide as I'm against using mass murder for spot 
killing. You'll be surprised at how much you'll feel good being able 
to pull up a clump here and there. In any case nothing is forever and 
you'll be finding clumps again and again.

The exercise is great and the satisfaction is also good. Of course I 
only have a city plot the acreage is tiny compared to what you may 
have. If it's large then till and till again around the plants.

Regards,

Werner

Internet Addr: [email-masked]