Subject: Re: Seed Starting Indoors/Hel

From: Libby Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 11:51:55 -0800 (PST)

You are going to hate this. Whether or not you put seeds under
lights to geminate them depends on whether the seeds need light to
germinate. However, the catalog or seed pack will usually tell
you.

For the most part, vegetable and herb seeds do not need light to
germinate so you don't need to put them under the lights til they
actually come up.

At that point, keep the seedlings an inch or so below the
fluorescent tube.

Libby

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Mar 95 20:54:37 -0600

> germinate so you don't need to put them under the lights til they

Actually, the red wavelengths of light, the ones most useful in
breaking dormancy when there's a phytochrome system involved, 
penetrate fairly well into the soil... an inch or more in most
cases.  It never hurts to put seeds under light, as it helps
the seedling orient properly (oh yeah!  I know!  green side up! ;-) )

Kay Klier   [email-masked]