Subject: Re: Daylilies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 10:16:25 EST

Hemerocallis fulva is an invasive plant in the Midwest.  Consult the
Peterson-series Field Guide to Wildflowers, or Newcomb's Wildflower
Guide.

If it doesn't re-seed, then how did it get into pastures miles from
roadways?

Richard Shiell       [email-masked]

IW>"Fulva" does not re-seed . It is a "Triploid", and triploids are sterile. Onl
IW>Tetraploids and diploids will produce seed, if they are 'pod' fertile. Some
IW>daylilies may produce viable pollen, but can not produce seed. Others may be
IW>Glenn
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     WWW.KERN.COM
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     TELNET DJ.KERN.COM
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     FTP FTP.KERN.COM

---

From: Jennifer Stiller <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Mar 1995 15:42:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> , [email-masked] writes:
>
>Hemerocallis fulva is an invasive plant in the Midwest.
Fulvas are sterile, but they spread very successfully by the roots (or
are they rhizomes?  I forget).  In my experience even a little piece of
root will produce a new plant, and they sometimes show up in gardens
without the gardener intending for them to be there.  Birds, perhaps?

Also, don't rule out someone dumping daylilies they've pulled out of
their yard into the trash, and some trash ending up on the roadside.

They spread by underground runners, and the roots are very brittle, so if
you try to pull (rather than dig) them up, you still have daylilies.

In November of 1993  I dug a bunch of H.fulva out of my garden and dumped
them unceremoniously in a wilder part of the yard where I figured they
would help stop erosion and look kind of pretty.   Note I said "dumped,"
not "planted."  We're talking loose roots on top of the ground here. 
That winter was brutally cold, with five or six serious ice storms.  Last
summer, those daylilies bloomed.

At any rate, I figure any plant that has gotten itself all the way around
the world despite being sterile is a plant to respect.

Jenny