Subject: Re: Dog Spots in Lawn

From: [email-masked] (KLMF)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:42:32 -0400

This won't solve your current problem, but will solve it in the future.  I
have *4* dogs and a burn free lawn as I trained all my dogs to go in one
part of the yard *only*.  Training is done exactly like housebreaking.  
Always take the dog to the same place to "do her business"......use the
command every time you take her out, and praise her to the skies and maybe
a treat for compliance, to help her make the association quicker.   Also,
when playing in the yard, watch for the telltail signals that she has to
"go" and whisk her over to the place pronto.    Every mistake you make
will set back the training, so be very very careful!   As for cover, I use
cedar mulch which I refresh a few times a year.   Gravel is also good.  
Be sure to keep the area free of stools, and be especially careful to pick
up before rain!!  The dogs don't like a dirty bathroom any more than a
human does.  
Good Luck.

Karen F.

---

From: Bruce Sorrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 95 15:30:31 -0500

Help Please !!  We bought our daughter a collie this Christmas and now our
lawn in turning brown in numerous spots.  Doesn't take a genius to figure
out that these are her "watering holes."  I saw the posts on "Dog Pee"
but didn't hear anyone offer up a cure. ANy ideas, short of parting with
the dog or airing her in the woods (we have none  close by).  There must
be some way to neutralize the urine, but I'm not chemist enough to
figure that out.  ANy thoughts on Dog diapers ?  We are desperate !
 
Thanks for any help you can provide.
 
Bruce

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:42:28 GMT

>Thanks for any help you can provide.

Select a corner of the yard which you can live without.  Buy an
exercise pen, and use it to fence off this area.  Cover the ground
with a thick layer of mulch.  Train the dog to use this area as a
bathroom.  I own a varying dog population, and this solution
keeps the lawn green, and free of "landmines".

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (KLMF)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:42:32 -0400

Karen F.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:42:28 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:42:28 GMT

Chris Owens