Subject: Various fungi growing in mulch

From: [email-masked] (Debbie DeNeese)
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 1995 19:54:48 -1812

I have two varieties of fungus growing in two beds which are mulched to
3"...I had incorporated a ground rubber tree stump into a bed prepared for
tropicals and that appears to be growing an almost cartiligenous *ear
type* fungus; the other bed has fragile little grey mushrooms which die at
dawn.

Are these harmful to my plants, or can I allow them to grow without
concern?  If harmful, how can I safely eradicate them among ferns and
aroids?

---------= http://inca.gate.net:80/~d_swartz/ =--------------
 Debbie DeNeese                     Email:  [email-masked]
 Neurodisc Records, Inc.            (finger for pgp public key)             
 450 N. Park Road  Suite 700             (305) 963-0555 [voice]
 Hollywood, FL   33021                   (305) 964-1117 [fax]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 10:48:43 -0500

> concern?  If harmful, how can I safely eradicate them among ferns and

Not to worry.  What you're seeing are "fruiting bodies" (actually
spore-forming bodies) of fungi, probably the fungal species that are
breaking down the mulch you've used.  Fungi are the principle decomposers
of dead plant material, while bacteria handle dead animal material 
mostly.  Like bacteria, there are different kinds of fungi:  some are
parasites, like the plant disease fungi you seem to be worried about,
others are decomposers of dead tissue (most of the ones you find
in mulch bins), others are symbionts, living in root tissues of plants
to the benefit of both parties, and others are economically important
and beneficial, like the Penicillium roquefortii that many people
like in their blue cheese...

Your mushrooms are a sign that nature is doing exactly what it ought
to be.  No interference required.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 23:51:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says:
>> 3".

>of dead plant material,<snip>there are different kinds of fungi:  

I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating eating any of these mushrooms 
(LBM -- little brown mushrooms -- are usually poisonous.)  But,,, A few 
summers ago, while leaving the parking lot of a small country "mall", I
noticed several Lepiota procera ('parasol mushrooms') growing from some 
bark mulch at entrance/exit of the mall.  Later I found more growing right
outside my front door.  CT [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 10:48:43 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 23:51:40 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 23:51:40 GMT