Subject: Re: lady slippers

From: "Philip F. Wight" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 1995 01:29:14 GMT

Janine Dahms Walker ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Grant- do you have an address for Spangle Creek?  Janine
------------------------
Janine - here's Spangle Creek's phone number:
Spangle Creek Labs
Bill Steele
509-245-3253

Bill is probably the most experienced grower of native ladyslippers 
alive.  Ask him how easy, or difficult, they are to raise - he'll tell you!

I really suggest that you get a paph, which is an Asian ladyslipper.  
There are types that are extremely easy to grow, make a beautiful plant 
and also make beautiful flowers.  You can see them for sale these days in 
supermarkets and garden stores.

Please DON'T try native American ladyslippers.  I can guaraNTEE YOU 99 TO 
1 THAT YOU WILL KILL IT.  THEY ARE EXTREMELY TOUCHY - THEY NEED PURE 
WATER AND VERY CAREFUL HANDLING.  (Sorry about those caps.)

Paphs are beautiful - I have about 200 of them now.  Try one!

Cheers,
Phil

---

From: FEENEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 07:59:58 -0800

William and Carol Steele of Spangle Creek Labs, W 2802 Depot Springs Rd., 
Spangle, WA 99031 offer "Cypripedium calceolus" (laboratory propagated) 
and "C. reginae" (from seed) NOT collected in the wild.  If you are a 
rock gardener, naturalist or collector you might be interested in 
contacting the Steele's who have dedicated themselves to a great deal of 
botanical research and laboratory experiementation in order to help 
restock areas of suitable habitat (where these lovely orchids have been 
lost to animal or natural forces) and to offer an alternative to the 
unethical practice of collecting in the wild.  Their two informational 
brochures are a valuable addition to your horticultural library.  The 
Steele's also offer Dyna-gro, the fertilizer they use on their 
seedlings.  The two brochures (with color photos) are $2;  the plant list 
is free with a SASE (shipping seasons are Spring and Fall.)

---

From: [email-masked] (Suzanne Daurio)
Date: 13 Mar 95 18:04:25 GMT

[email-masked] (Sherry Bailey) writes:

>This seems like a good opportunity to teach your child that they can't HAVE
>everything that's pretty or neat -- some things belong to nature and can be
>enjoyed only by going TO them, not by bringing them to you.

I agree.  This certainly makes the ladyslippers even more special in my
mind.  If we ever get the chance to see them in the wild, I hope we have
our camera so we can at least take a picture!

In the mean time, I think it's also a good opportunity to begin to explore
the world of orchids.  Everyone had some good pointers regarding the 
hybrids, and that's where well start.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.  

-- 
Sue Daurio
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Only Jules)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 09:14:35 -0500

Lady slippers are the state flower of Minnesota, and here they are
protected (no digging, picking, or transplanting).  They are delicate,
like swampy, shaded areas, and come in pink and yellow.  Wish I could
help, but thought this little information was better than nothing.