Subject: Another idea

From: [email-masked] (Bonnie Keller)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 14:53:22 GMT

I wanted to thank all of you for helping me with my azalea problem.
I really appreciate all of your responses.  All of you came up with ideas
I didn't even begin to think of.  Thanks again!

I have another idea.  I'm thinking about planting some berry bushes.  I
think blackberries/dewberries would be a nice choice.  Are there any
secrets to planting blackberry bushes?  What is best type soil for 
growing them.  Also is the name blackberry and dewberry the same or is a
dewberry different from a blackberry?

I'm anxious to hear all of your thoughts.

Bonnie

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 14:19:32 GMT

>I'm anxious to hear all of your thoughts.

Depending on where you live, blackberry brambles can be highly
invasive.  Here in Maryland, we are still pulling brambles out of
the soil from the patch that our neighbor on the other side of the
fence removed FIVE years ago.  So, don't plant them near anything
that you don't want to have to dig around in killing off volunteers.

Other than that, blackberries like rich, well-drained soil.  A
support system of some sort usually helps, too.

I have no idea whethere blackberries and dewberries are the
same thing.

Chris Owens