Subject: plants for wet areas?

From: [email-masked] (Administrator)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:52:32 GMT

Hi all,
 
Have a low-lying area that is shortly to be planted. It gets all the rain
and is generally soggy. After adding organic material to the soil, would
like to add plants. Does anyone know of good wet-tolerant plants other
than Japanese irises? 

I am in Zone 4 in Minnesota and would like especially to use native
grasses that tolerate wet conditions. 

Thanks!

Wendy in Stillwater

Sent via the Newsbytes BBS On The Internet at 199.86.32.158 3004

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 11:38:25 EST

Hi, Wendy.  For that wet area try: Astilbe, Cowslip (native), Showy
Lady's Slipper Orchid (MN. State Flower), and whatever the local
extension agents recommend in the way of native grasses.  But look
out for grasses in general; they're tough and prolific when happy.
Also, contact the MN. Landscape Arboretum, and go to their spring
plant sale.

Richard Shiell          [email-masked]

IP>Have a low-lying area that is shortly to be planted. It gets all the rain
IP>and is generally soggy. After adding organic material to the soil, would
IP>like to add plants. Does anyone know of good wet-tolerant plants other
IP>than Japanese irises?

IP>I am in Zone 4 in Minnesota and would like especially to use native
IP>grasses that tolerate wet conditions.
IP>Wendy in Stillwater
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     WWW.KERN.COM
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     TELNET DJ.KERN.COM
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     FTP FTP.KERN.COM

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert C. Vaiden)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 14:32:53 GMT

...You might try planting Asclepias incarnata (Marsh or Swamp
Milkweed) for some July\August color.  They are a beautiful
pink, smell wonderful, are NOT an invasive milkweed, and
(I think) should do fine in Minnesota.  I know they grow
well as far north as Taylor County, WIsconsin.

...some of the Switch grasses (panicum) might do well too-
They are nice native prairie grasses, as is Spartina (Cord
Grass)....but Spartina can get pretty tall under some 
conditions.

There are also many other species of prairie flowers that
grow under wet conditions (much of the original prairie
WAS wetland).

Bob Vaiden