Subject: Re: When to prune?

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:21:28 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Gordon H. Hopkins) writes: 

>
>I'm wondering when the best time of year is for pruning trees. My 
>yard 
>has spruce, pine, maple and birch trees and buds are starting to appear. 
>Should I prune now or wait until later in spring...fall...? Any help 
>would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>

As a general rule, pruning whole branches should take place in
the Fall, after several heavy frosts have driven the sap back into
the trunk.  Use a can of spray paint in the middle of summer
to mark the branches you will want to take out next Fall.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:21:28 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Kay Kuhlwein)
Date: 22 Mar 95 07:58:00 GMT

On conifers, you can also prune back the new growth (called candles)
1/2 way after they're out to make the tree more more fuller.  It
doesn't hurt the trees and in fact, that's what the nurseries do.

---

From: [email-masked] (Suellen LaCroix, [email-masked])
Date: 25 Mar 95 09:27:10 CST

Ortho has a fairly complete book on pruning, which I recommend.  It tells
you what to prune when and how to prune.  

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Gordon H. Hopkins) writes:
> I'm wondering when the best time of year is for pruning trees. 
<...>