Subject: Re: plants for wet areas?

From: [email-masked] (Robert C. Vaiden)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 14:32:53 GMT

...You might try planting Asclepias incarnata (Marsh or Swamp
Milkweed) for some July\August color.  They are a beautiful
pink, smell wonderful, are NOT an invasive milkweed, and
(I think) should do fine in Minnesota.  I know they grow
well as far north as Taylor County, WIsconsin.

...some of the Switch grasses (panicum) might do well too-
They are nice native prairie grasses, as is Spartina (Cord
Grass)....but Spartina can get pretty tall under some 
conditions.

There are also many other species of prairie flowers that
grow under wet conditions (much of the original prairie
WAS wetland).

Bob Vaiden

In a previous article:

>IP>Have a low-lying area that is shortly to be planted. It gets all the rain
>IP>and is generally soggy. After adding organic material to the soil, would
>IP>like to add plants. Does anyone know of good wet-tolerant plants other
>IP>than Japanese irises?
>
>IP>I am in Zone 4 in Minnesota and would like especially to use native
>IP>grasses that tolerate wet conditions.
>IP>Wendy in Stillwater

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:50:29 GMT

--
How about a wet area plant for the Dallas, TX area?  I cannot convince my
neighbors that they are overwatering their yard and the drainage flows through
my yard and I have one spot that I cannot dry out.  They put in their sprinkler
system the year after I added some landscaping on that side of the house.  I
put in 2 gold eunonymous bushes that do ok but I have to treat them for
leaf-spot and other fungus about 2x per year.  I also put in two green mound
junipers that seem to love it.  The nandinas are in a little higher and dryer
place closer to the house and have to be treated for leaf spot about 4x per
year.  I'll be moving the nandinas as soon as I have a place to put them.

So what should I put in a shady spot that has standing water in the spring and
is just slightly damp but very humid during the 90-100 degree summers?

Regards, Bonnie
  Mama to Bobby 9/5/91 and Aunt Bonnie to Hayden 3/7/95
*******************************************************************
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:50:29 GMT

Regards, Bonnie