Subject: Lawn Treating

From: [email-masked] (Eric Soiu)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 04:53:28 -0500

Anybody have any experience with skipping a year of having the pros
like Chemlawn, Barefoot Grass, etc, treat your lawn?  The cost these
days has become prohibitive and you don't know whether to trust their
advice.  After all, they have a vested interest.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Offiler)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 06:41:29

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Eric Soiu) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Eric Soiu)
>Subject: Lawn Treating
>Date: 31 Mar 1995 04:53:28 -0500

>advice.  After all, they have a vested interest.

How about all of the multitudes that skip them *permanently* ?  A decent 
lawn, a mulching mower, maybe some Ringers (organic fertilizer) and lime as 
needed, a little water, proper aeration.... 

Who needs Chemlawn???

SO

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:02:05 GMT

>needed, a little water, proper aeration.... 

Having never allowed the "pros" near my lawn, I have a lovely expanse of
green velvet.  Regular mowing, an annual application of composted manure,
and aggressive weeding work just fine.  And, I don't have to wonder what
the poison of the week is that my dogs and I are absorbing through our
bare feet.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:07:38 GMT

>advice.  After all, they have a vested interest.

As a person who makes a living spraying lawns I can tell you that you don't 
need anyone to spray and fertilize your lawn.  I do mine maybe one every two 
or three years.  I have children and don't like to spray if it's not necessary.
You can do the work yourself.  If you want to spray your lawn for weeds then 
go to your local garden center or hardware store and buy a device that fits 
on the end of your hose.  You place the pesticide in the attached bottle and 
FOLLOWING instructions you can spray your lawn.  Don't let any spray or drift 
touch your plants in your gardens.  If you want to fertilize your lawn, for 
the price of two applications you can buy a GOOD fertilizer spreader and do 
the lawn by your self for a good many years.  Again read the instructions and 
figure out how much fertilizer you need and divide the fertilizer in half and 
spread that much on your total lawn area.  Go in one directions only and then 
take the other half and spread it in the direction perpendicular to the first 
time.
Remember, the best defense against weeds is a healthy well kept lawn.  A thick 
properly watered lawn will keep out most weeds.

Don

*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Offiler)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 06:41:29

Who needs Chemlawn???

SO

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:02:05 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:07:38 GMT

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:02:05 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:07:38 GMT

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Cutburth)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 21:01:40 -0400

>advice.  After all, they have a vested interest.
========================

How much *are* you paying now?
I'm just curious what they charge you for what is usually called a 
"four-step-plan" and what is also known as "calendar applications".

Call your local Cooperative Extension Service and ask them to mail you
their fact sheets about IPM -- Integrated Pest Management. I think that
is the best most unbiased way of answering your question. They will also
be able to mail you info about "Cut It and Leave It" -- leaving the grass
clippings on the lawn to return nitrogen to the soil (free fertilizer!)

Other things to consider -- if you don't have a problem why treat it?
If you do have a problem, don't just treat the symptom, determine the cause.
And -- it is not true that if a little is good a lot must be better.

--Dennis