Subject: Re: Ragweed - to eradicat

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 14:07:39 EST

Kay Klier  <klier@cobra/uni.edu> wrote:

IK>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
IK>>
IK>> Ragweed seeds are wind-dispersed.

IK>WOW!  If we're both talking about _Ambrosia_, you've got better winds
IK>than our prairie blasts!  Ambrosia "seeds" (actually one-seeded
IK>fruits) are about 4-5 x 3 mm, sort of "woody tops" for A. trifida,
IK>giant ragweed, and A. artemisiifolia a little smaller, about BB
IK>size.  Around here, they're gravity dispersed and sometimes hauled
IK>around by critters like voles.

Hmmm...  Sorry to have posted incorrect info.  Must have mixed up
Ambrosia with other weedy plants in the Asteraceae.  Forgot that
granivores transport seeds too (rather squirrelly of me, eh?).  ;-)

BTW, does anyone know the story behind ragweed's Latin name,
`Ambrosia' (i.e. food of the gods)?  Some botanist with a strong sense
of irony (or a cast-iron stomach)?

Richard Shiell          [email-masked]
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     WWW.KERN.COM
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     TELNET DJ.KERN.COM
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     FTP FTP.KERN.COM

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 15:54:03 EST

Ragweed seeds are wind-dispersed.  To reduce their germination you
could use per-emergent herbicides.  In my experience ragweed ignores
mulches and fabric barriers, growing right through them.

IS>Despite years of trying, I have ragweed in my garden.  I hoe and hoe, and
IS>pull and yank, but it comes back within minutes.  Any suggestions of how
IS>to deal with it without killing everything in the garden (try to be
IS>organic as possible)

IS>Thanks, Alice
---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 14:07:39 EST