Subject: Are Amazoy Zoysia plugs for real?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 95 23:59:37 PDT

I got an advert in the mail about Meyer Z-52 Zoysia Grass. You order plugs
that you plant 1 foot apart. They are supposed to overtake your lawn, bare 
ground, weed infested lawn and become a beautiful slow-growing, lawn that
hardly needs watering.
Sounds great to me! Anyone with experience with this grass? Is it too good to 
be true?

Bill Clark

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed and Bev)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 03:04:01 GMT

Ted Swirsky ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] wrote:

: : I got an advert in the mail about Meyer Z-52 Zoysia Grass. You order plugs
: : that you plant 1 foot apart. They are supposed to overtake your lawn, bare 
: : ground, weed infested lawn and become a beautiful slow-growing, lawn that
: : hardly needs watering.
: : Sounds great to me! Anyone with experience with this grass? Is it too good to 
: : be true?

: I tried something similar (I don't know if it was Z-52) but was very
: disappointed.  I don't think much of the Zoysia took.  I'm now told it
: needs lots of sun and it was planted in partial shade.

: Plus, they hit me with a hefty shipping fee, too.  Read the fine print, be
: careful and good luck!

my zoysia grass was here when i moved in, and i *love* it! it's very 
dense and looks just like a carpet after its cut. i don't really mind it 
being tan for half the year but wish it *would* grow in part shade. some 
weeds do grow in it especially oxalis and it does need some water in
the heat of summer (but *much* less than other lawns) 

since it is slow growing, those little plugs can take some years to 
become estblished, and you gotta watch that other stuff doesn't overtake 
them when they're new. around here, local nurseries carry them in the 
spring.

love,
bev

---------***---------
beverly
email:[email-masked]
---------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Ted Swirsky)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 17:50:06 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

: I got an advert in the mail about Meyer Z-52 Zoysia Grass. You order plugs
: that you plant 1 foot apart. They are supposed to overtake your lawn, bare 
: ground, weed infested lawn and become a beautiful slow-growing, lawn that
: hardly needs watering.
: Sounds great to me! Anyone with experience with this grass? Is it too good to 
: be true?

: Bill Clark

I tried something similar (I don't know if it was Z-52) but was very
disappointed.  I don't think much of the Zoysia took.  I'm now told it
needs lots of sun and it was planted in partial shade.

Plus, they hit me with a hefty shipping fee, too.  Read the fine print, be
careful and good luck!

Ted

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed and Bev)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 03:04:01 GMT

love,
bev

---------***---------
beverly
email:[email-masked]
---------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Ted Swirsky)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 17:50:06 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

: Bill Clark

Ted

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Fletcher)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 11:48:57 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

Zoysia is a warm-season grass - in a cold winter climate it will look
green and lush during the summer months (when bluegrass is flagging) and
then return to a warm, tasteful shade of brown for the other 9 months of
the year (when bluegrass looks much better). 

Check with your county's Extension office for recommendations on grass 
varieties for your area.

A good rule of thumb is to distrust any advertising with the words 'miracle' 
or 'amazing' in them ;-)

--
Karen Fletcher                                     [email-masked]
==========================================================================
The Garden Gate            http://www.prairienet.org/ag/garden/homepage.htm
The Garden Gate at SunSITE  http://sunsite.unc.edu/garden-gate/homepage.htm
The Garden Spider's Web    http://mirror.wwa.com/mirror/garden/spdrsweb.htm