Subject: Need recommend for good muscle-power mower

From: [email-masked] (Glenn Sheller)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 08:05:05 GMT

Dear all:

    I want to buy an old-fashioned muscle powered lawn mower, yeah, the kind that has NO engine. I hate the noise and stink of gasoline-powered mowers and 
I'm not interested in the hassle of an electric-powered mower. And besides,
I can use the exercise.
    So if anybody has an manufacturer recommendations, I'd certainly 
appreciate some guidance. I'm sure there are some hi-tech push-mowers out there
that probably cost $500 and up, but that's way beyond my means. I want to spend $150 or less.
    Anybody using one of these babies that they like?
    Naturally, I'm looking for something that durable, not too heavy and low maintenance.
    Thanx!
    -- Glenn.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jill Arnson)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 20:00:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Steven M. Begley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Glenn Sheller) writes:

Steven replied:
>Scott  (the fertilizer company) used to maket a push mower call the "Silent 
>Scott". On a scale from 1 to 10 it got A+! The reels were machined so that 

Sears also has a Craftsman push reel mower.  I've got one and am quite happy
with it as long as I don't want to collect the clippings.  The grass
catcher keeps falling off and forget corners. Keep the blades sharp.  The
"elbow grease" won't be quite as much.  You do need to mow more often with
these type though.  Just a word of warning.

jill

-- 
Jill C. Arnson
Omnipoint Corporation
Colorado Springs, Co  (but Denver's where I hang my hat)
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 04:02:59 GMT

>    -- Glenn.

Glenn:
Scott  (the fertilizer company) used to maket a push mower call the "Silent 
Scott". On a scale from 1 to 10 it got A+! The reels were machined so that 
they never touched the bed knife, but would spin free with a clearance of 
1/1000" or so (hence the name.) 
The thing was really sensational. I don't know if they still market them, but 
if I was looking for a push mower, that's the one I would look for first!

Steven

---

From: [email-masked] (Deborah Pearce)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:48:05 GMT

>>>    I want to buy an old-fashioned muscle powered lawn mower, yeah, the kind that has NO engine. I hate the noise and stink of gasoline-powered mowers and 

I have 2 of these, a new 18" mower and an old Sears 16" mower (found at yard 
sale).  The old one has better quality metal blades (like most older things 
when materials were cheaper).  But the biggest different is the handle design. 
 The 16" has a T-bar handle with the two bars coming together close to the 
reel and bolted together, then bending back out at the top for the handle.  
The new one has a U-shaped handle with a crossbar connecting the two sides 
about halfway up.  It is impossible to tighten the bolts enough to prevent a 
wobble in the handle with this design.  

The 18" has bigger wheels and is easier to use where the ground is a little 
bumpy and of course cuts a wider swath.  I use the 16" in my front yard where 
I have several individual garden/lawn patches and the smaller size is easier 
to use there.

I love the way the grass looks but by these and the lack of noise and 
vibration and maintenance (I often spray the moving parts w/WD-40 after 
mowing), but I keep my power mower around for when I can't cut the grass soon 
enough and it gets too tall for the reel mower to handle.

Didi

 * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * 
|   We're all Bozos on this bus   |
|                                                   |
   *.*.*|__    *<:o)<mf>     __|*.*.*

---

From: [email-masked] (Deborah Pearce)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:48:05 GMT

Didi