Subject: bulb planting - too early?

From: [email-masked] (Cara Vandy)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 19:00:22 -0500

For the first time in memory, bulbs stored in my basement have survived 
the winter.  Now they're sprouting, and I don't know whether to plant 
them now, taking the chance they'll die in a late freeze, or keep them 
in, and risk them dying of my ineptness.  One is a royal lily, the others 
are almost probably either dahlias or iris.  They have about 2-4 inches 
of stalk going each, and look fairly healthy, if a bit pale, so far.  
Help!  What do I do?
			Cara

---

From: [email-masked] (Virginia Boehm)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 23:31:21 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Cara Vandy) 

>of stalk going each, and look fairly healthy, if a bit pale, so far.  

Plant them now!  If they've grown that much, they need soil to develop 
fully, and some sun to green up.  It was a mild winter and everything 
is a bit out of season.  Take your chances.

      Gini

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 Mar 95 19:55:11 -0600

> of stalk going each, and look fairly healthy, if a bit pale, so far.  

If it's too early to plant them outside, put them into pretty good sized
pots of ordinary potting soil, water them, and give them as much light
as possible.  Keep cool.  When it's warm enough, transplant them outside.

Kay (#@!*, it's still snowing here!) Klier     [email-masked]