Subject: Wanted: Info re Small Sunflowers

From: [email-masked] (Colleen May)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 00:33:18 GMT

I've been looking all over for large yellow daisies with huge
brown centres--Today I discovered what I'm really searching
for are sunflowers.  They look totally mature, but are the size
of a very large daisy.  
Does anyone know if they are a particular type (if so, what kind?)
or are they regular sunflowers somehow stunted?  I will really
appreciate any information.  Thanks.

Colleen

---

From: [email-masked] (Allyn Weaks)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 13:22:07 -0800

> appreciate any information.  Thanks.

Well, it's not exactly fully predictable, but I've been getting miniature
sunflowers by letting the black oil seeds that the house finches throw
around sprout.  It's hybrid seed, and the plants that come up are
variable; they've been ranging from about 6-18 inches high with flowers
from about 1-3 inches across.  I like the variety, and they're certainly
cheap, abundant and care free.  I haven't noticed any of them producing
seed, so I don't know if further generations are possible, or what they
might look like.
-- 
Allyn Weaks
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Apr 95 18:05:22 -0600

> appreciate any information.  Thanks.

You may indeed be looking for dwarf sunflowers (try Parks and Burpee's
for starters), but you might also be looking for _Rudbeckia hirta_
aka black eyed susan and gloriosa daisy.
Do the centers of the flowers face upwards? If so, check the Rudbeckia
cultivars.  If they face outward, look at the sunflowers.

There are also a lot of other "large yellow daisies with big brown
centers".  Can you provide more information?

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 17:14:23 EDT

>I've noticed a large variety of sunflowers in seed catalogs I've
>looked at recently.  I ordered 3 or 4 different varieties from
>Shepherd's and have started them indoors and they are doing well.
>This year they won't be the 8 foot giants but knee sized and a
>variety of colors.  Or so I hope. Keep looking.  Sunflowers have been
>hot for a few years now and it's the small ones in demand.
>
>Dave Vanderhoof
>
>From: [email-masked]
>Path: VM.TEMPLE.EDU!LEAPDJWV
>Newsgroups: rec.gardens
>Subject: Re: Wanted: Info re Small Sunflowers
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 17:14:23 EDT
>Organization: Temple University
>References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>
>
>I've noticed a large variety of sunflowers in seed catalogs I've
>looked at recently.  I ordered 3 or 4 different varieties from
>Shepherd's and have started them indoors and they are doing well.
>This year they won't be the 8 foot giants but knee sized and a
>variety of colors.  Or so I hope. Keep looking.  Sunflowers have been
>hot for a few years now and it's the small ones in demand.
>
>Dave Vanderhoof
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Allyn Weaks)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 13:22:07 -0800

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Apr 95 18:05:22 -0600

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 17:14:23 EDT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 17:14:23 EDT

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 00:23:30 GMT

>>>> appreciate any information.  Thanks.

Colleen-
Is it possible you are looking for the perennial false sunflower, Heliopsis? 
They grow here in Penna. in full sun with flowers from May 'till late 
September. In zone 6 they are fully hardy. The flowers look like small 
sunflowers, and the plant grows sort of bushy to almost 4 ft tall. The leaves 
are oval with a point, (I don't remember if they are opposite or alternate and 
it's too early to go look.), and the edges are serrate. Could that be it? If 
not, try Heliopsis, anyway. You'll love it!

Steven