Subject: Re: Horse manure as fertilizer

From: [email-masked] (Gaylord Hinshaw)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 21:54:12 -0600

John Woodworth ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (AGodston) writes:
: >From: [email-masked] (AGodston)
: >Subject: Re: Horse manure as fertilizer
: >Date: 16 Mar 1995 17:21:11 -0500

: >I've used fresh manure as a tea.  Put some in a bucket and add water.  Let
: >it sit a few days and use the water to water your plants.  Just keep
: >adding water until it no longer has color.  Obviously you use it before
: >adding more water.  Don't pour off the manure itself...it remains in the
: >bottom of the bucket.  Only bad thing is that mosquitoes also like it and
: >lay eggs in it.  What to do about that?

: This sounds septic, odorous and kind of wierd. Unhealthy, too.

: John

: "Pro meo lingua graeca est!"
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 01:14:14 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (AGodston) writes: 

>
>I've used fresh manure as a tea.  Put some in a bucket and add water.  Let
>it sit a few days and use the water to water your plants.  Just keep
>adding water until it no longer has color.  Obviously you use it before
>adding more water.  Don't pour off the manure itself...it remains in the
>bottom of the bucket.  Only bad thing is that mosquitoes also like it and
>lay eggs in it.  What to do about that?
>

Go to your local stream bed.  Look for a backwater or eddy.  Turn over
the rocks, and catch the little critters on the underside.  Put them
in your manure bucket, and they will cheerfully eat the mosquito
larvae.

I have found that I can make good manure tea by dissolving a shovelful
of clods in a 5-gallon bucket, then straining out the residue.  This way,
I avoid making a mosquito nesting place.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 01:14:14 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 14:38:29 GMT

Lucky for me I've applied a preimergent first, but you have a good point about 
the cows having two tummy's. Thanks for your input.

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (KNUTE44345) 
writes:>From: [email-masked] (KNUTE44345)
>Subject: Re: Horse manure as fertilizer
>Date: 29 Mar 1995 17:11:20 -0500

>Horse manure is not the best organic fertilizer. When spreading horse
>manure you will also get the seeds from the weeds and this can cause a
>weed problem for you. Unlike cows, horses only have one stomach and the
>seeds are not destroyed as the go through the digestive system. I used
>horse manure one time and had weeds I had never seen before. Good luck.

>Tom Knudtson

Standard High-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING  in the above article has the slightest
relationship to reality. If any reality correspondences are found, please
notify me IMMEDIATELY. Any threats, abuse or stupidity of any kind is purely
UNintentional. These are MY Opinions NOT my employer's.

---

From: [email-masked] (KNUTE44345)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 17:11:20 -0500

Tom Knudtson

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 14:38:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (KNUTE44345)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 17:11:20 -0500

Tom Knudtson