Subject: Flowers for very sunny, hot area?

From: [email-masked] (Michelle A. Berteig)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:35:49 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations.  I live in southern California, in
the Pasadena area.  I have a long, skinny rectangular house that runs
east/west, with the front of the house facing south.  There are 2 flower
beds running the length of the house on that south side.  They get full
sun ( a lot of sun!) and it is very hot and dry (although we water regularly).

Right now, I have a very large hibiscus, a small orange tree, gladiolas,
and I planted daffodils and ranunculus, which all came up fine.  I've
planted vinca every year, which seems to do pretty well also.  I guess
I'm looking for something a little more showy, that can withstand
the heat, plus a certain amount of neglect.  I like begonias, but I've
heard they are shade only.  Does anyone know anything about cannas?
I've also been thinking about daylilies.  Any advice as to what other
kinds of showy flowers would do well?  I'm also interested in those that
would flower almost year-round (it doesn't get that cold here--my hibiscus
has flowers year-round), or combinations of plants that would have flowers
year-round. 

Thank you very much for any advice!

Sincerely,

Michelle Berteig, [email-masked]