Subject: Suggestions for vine?

From: [email-masked] (jack paul)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 10:54:38 GMT

This is my first post!  I've been enjoying your group for several
months now.  Thanks to all for the wealth of information.

I have an old concrete (at least thats what it looks like)
springhouse that I would like to cover with a vine.  Obviously,
its in a damp area.  It's in a wooded area and gets only minimal
sun.  I'd like something that flowers (trumpet vine?) and/or is
evergreen.  I think our soil is a little acidic (Rhodos, ferns and
Jack-in-the-Pulpits do well here).  Zone 6, I thinks.  About 60
miles north west of Phila.

Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance!

Linda. 

Jack Paul
Hereford, Pa. USA
[email-masked]

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 21:27:04 GMT

[email-masked] (jack paul) wrote:
> springhouse that I would like to cover with a vine.  
> Jack Paul
> Hereford, Pa. USA
> [email-masked]

I think you'll have problems with trumpet vine since they really do
best in full sun.  However, some other suggestions:

Any of various vine honeysuckle (except, perhaps, Lonicera japonica)
     Lonicera  periclymenum (spelling?) - wonderful fragerance
     Lonicera semperveriens - no fragrance, but bright yellows/reds

Akebia quinquifolia - Five-leafed akebia - maroon flowers, unusual
pod-like fruit.

Ampelopsis brevipedunculata "Elegans" - inconspicuous flower, but 
interesting variegated leaf and blue porcelain like berries in fall,
hence the name Porcelain vine.
Don Martinson				
[email-masked]

"Existing order thrives upon ignorance and lies.  
Objective truth and individual reason are feared above all."

---

From: [email-masked] (BEL2)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 14:44:00 -0500

Sorry, Linda for calling you Jack
BL

---

From: [email-masked] (BEL2)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 14:44:00 -0500

Jack,

Fig vine would do very well on this or any other structure.  It is
evergreen with very small leaves but does not flower (produce fruit at
older ages) Hence, FIG vine.
This looks really great if it is keep it clipped closely to the structure.

BL