Subject: Help! My spathipyllum is dying!

From: [email-masked] (Susan Battle)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:52:23 GMT

This is exactly what happened to the spathipyllum I gave to my husband 
for Christmas! I went to his office to look at it, and decided it was too 
crowded. When I knocked it out of it's pot, sure enough, roots jambed 
together and winding around inside. So I divided into 2 and repotted 
them. I gave them each lots of new potting soil. The plant was huge, so 
it took the two of us to accomplish this. We cut off the dead and 
yellowing leaves. My husband keeps his soil moist- this seems to take 
lots of water. The one I took home suffered some more- more dead and 
yellowing leaves, which I cut off. Then I added some epson salts, 
something I read here, something about iron tye-up. I also added a small 
amount of complete fertilizer. And I water thoroughly about twice a week. 
This seems like a lot of watering to me because I water the rest of the 
houseplants every week or two. But it seems to work.
This plant is one of the few that should do great in an office with your 
conditions. It even sends out flowers or spathes occasionaly. It likes 
shade. No direct sun.

You can often see spathiphylums at shopping malls.

It is a tropical plant and shouldn't be put outside 
yet if your weather is 40-60. Should be at least a steady 70.

I can't remember the rest of your questions, but hope this helps.

Susan