Subject: Re: Who is Martha???????

From: [email-masked] (Gary Cooper)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:02:39 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]  writes:

> Martha Stewart is a wealthy woman who produces magazines, books, and
> videos devoted to gardening and entertaining in outlandish, quaint,
> and/or picturesque ways, involving huge amounts of time and labor (by
> her corps of servants).  She appears never to break a sweat or get
> dirty.  Seems sort of like a cross between Tinkerbell and Patton.

Errr, was Patton the one with the wand and the tutu? I get 
confused....;-)

-- 
Gary Cooper

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Bailey)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 21:24:52 GMT

Todd Huston ([email-masked]) wrote:
: > and/or picturesque ways, involving huge amounts of time and labor (by
: > her corps of servants).  She appears never to break a sweat or get
: > dirty.  Seems sort of like a cross between Tinkerbell and Patton.

: Oh yes, Martha Stewart is just horrible.  She exemplifies everything that
: is wrong with America today.  This successful, intelligent and creative
: woman should rightly be scorned, this type of behavior does not belong
: in a "man's world."  And the nerve of her to have employees, some of them
: might even be male!  The very idea that other women may show a similar
: desire to succeed should give every god fearing white male cause to write
: their congressmen and have a law written forbiding this undecorous
: behaviour.

: It would be far better if woman took their cues from Susan Powell from
: the televison show 'Home Works'.  Now there is a woman to admire and
: emulate.  She manages to validate every negative sterotype of women in
: each show.  Because you see a woman's place is really in the home.

Hey, Babycakes!  I'm a woman and *I* sure as HELL don't consider Martha
Stewart a role model -- so what's with all this pseudo feminist angst on her
behalf!? I find this really amazing!  What most of us don't like about Martha
is that she sells (and makes her Big Money from) completely unrealistic and
artificial "self-help" ideas nobody could REALLY benefit from!  Looks pretty
in the magazine, but way too expensive/time consuming/impractical for real
people.  AND she makes it seem like she does it all herself, when it's
patently absurd when you stop to think about it. (Meaning she takes all the
credit for her fleets of assistants, male OR female, something I, as a
manager, find appalling!)

: Can we please give this Martha bashing a rest.  What bothers you, she's
: successful?  Well good for her.  She knows how to cook?  Well good for
: her.  She has a great garden?  Well good for her.  There are far better
: things to be doing with your time than worrying about Martha Stewart
: driving american households into bankruptcy.

: Go pull weeds or something.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ground is frozen solid -- they won't come out! (See, your advice isn't any
better than Martha's!!!)

Sherry ;^)