Subject: Re: garden+dog=yikes!

From: [email-masked] (Walter Vose Jeffries)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 95 09:34:15 EST

> Does anyone out there have suggestions about having a largish, exuberant
> young dog and my veggie garden coexist in the same yard?  I'm looking for

One word: Training. We have trained our animals (dogs &
cats) to stay out of the gardens, both ours and the
neighbors. It is not that hard to do but you do have to put
some effort and time into it. Try three separate five
minute training sessions a day. First you will need to
train the dog to pay attention to you so that you can teach
it other things. Consistancy and using behavior mod
(primarily reward good behavior and use a sharp NO! for bad
behavior) will help a lot. When you are ready, walk the dog
around the garden on a short leash. Point to the garden and
say no, no, no as you go around it. If the dog strays a
little away from the garden praise it and say good. If it
goes toward the garden say NO! and jerk the leash back away
from the garden. A smart or already somewhat trained dog
will pick up the idea in the first training session. Some
dogs may need a week of this. It has worked with every dog
we've ever had, as well as our neighbor's dogs (she raises
flowers for a living and they've _got_ to stay out of her
growing beds!).

Dogs, cats and people should be trained, starting at a young age.

Walter

----------------------------------------------------------------
BlackLightning, Riddle Pond Rd, West Topsham, Vermont 05086  USA
Sales: 1-800-252-2599 x01 or (802) 439-6462   Fax:(802) 439-6463
For wild ideas in laser printing & desktop publishing send email
subject:INDEX,TRANSFER TONER,FLASH MAGAZINE to:[email-masked]

Censorship is for bureaucrats - Fuck the government, before they
screw you. Fight Senate Bill 314 and 1995 Telecommunications Act.
Send subject CENSOR-S314 to [email-masked] for details.