Subject: DAYLILIES, Mmmm Good!

From: [email-masked] (Scott A. Granholm)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 18:35:09 -0800

After seeing the interest in Daylilies, does anyone else like to eat them?
They are quite good, both the pedels and the needle like stamens. The
more common type like the orange admarial are the sweetest. I think
some of the Hybrids, and some which are not truly Daylilies are not
quite as ediable. The ones that grow wild along the roadsides here
in Georgia, are great. I like them in Salads or right off the plant.
If you pick them in advance they tend not to keep for more that a
few hours, although I have heard that you can freez the needles.

I never have made tea out of them though, I'll try some this summer
and let Y'all know what it's like.

:) Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...     Scotty

---

From: [email-masked] (LynnDHop)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 11:25:56 -0500

I agree, although I've only prepared them as tempura (dipped in batter
then quick-fried and served with soy sauce).  They were delicious and a
great topic of conversation at a party.
[email-masked] (Lynn D. Warner)

---

From: [email-masked] (Harry Boswell)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 22:46:58 GMT

Scott A. Granholm ([email-masked]) wrote:
: After seeing the interest in Daylilies, does anyone else like to eat them?
: They are quite good, both the pedels and the needle like stamens. The
: more common type like the orange admarial are the sweetest. I think
: some of the Hybrids, and some which are not truly Daylilies are not
: quite as ediable. The ones that grow wild along the roadsides here
: in Georgia, are great. I like them in Salads or right off the plant.
: If you pick them in advance they tend not to keep for more that a
: few hours, although I have heard that you can freez the needles.

I've munched on the flower pods a few times, and they seem pretty bland to
me.  The old orange ones are the only type I've tried.

--
Harry Boswell                 [email-masked]  
Information Technology Laboratory
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers        Vicksburg, MS

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:40:00 GMT

Try mixing them in a salad.  It is greatespecially if yu add some rose
petals and nasturtiums both greens and flowers-What a sight and It's a
great conversation starter.  The 'oldtinmers' pickthe buda and lightly
saute them in butter them eat them.  They are also good when cooked briefly
in a microwave with butter.
Gwen

---

From: [email-masked] (LynnDHop)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 11:25:56 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Harry Boswell)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 22:46:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:40:00 GMT