Subject: Re: How to keep deer away from garden?

From: [email-masked] (Major)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 00:42:58 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Denham) writes: 

>
>   We have recently discovered and UNcovered a nice garden in the back  
>yard.  After clearing away 22 years of growth, we have the makings of  
>quite a nice patch of incredibly fertile soil.  
>   Now the bad news: every evening, without fail, six or more deer  
>wander thru the yard foraging.  Certainly, .30-06 and crossbows are 
>NOT the answer, but deer repelant plants don't seem to work either.
>
>Suggestions regarding non-destructive non-invasive methods to keep deer  
>away from the garden perimeter would be appreciated.
>
>--
>Mike Denham                        Speaking only 
>NRaD Div Det Philadelphia          for myself.
>Internet [email-masked]
>

Mike,
We have similar problems in the Twin Cities. Have tried or have known people who have
tried all  of the commercial repellants, bags of hair, bath soap et al. Some
knowledgeable gardeners swear by Milorganite, a nitrogen fertilizer made from Milwaukee
sewage, for hosta and hemerocallis.  NOT for veggies though, may be heany metals present 
in Milorganite.,

In my yard, I finally used a fence. Although the deer could jump it, they never do.
They just keep moving along to somebiody else's garden. No problems since I installed
the fence.

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Lewis)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 23:10:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Major <[email-masked]> wrote:
>sewage, for hosta and hemerocallis.  NOT for veggies though, may be heany metals
>present in Milorganite.,

FWIW:  Supposedly Irish Spring soap works where no others will.  Also, if you
live near a zoo, see if you can get some Zoo Poo.  Apparently Tiger/Lion feces
works _wonders_ ;-) - I've heard a radio conversation with someone in England
swears by it.
-- 
Chris Lewis: _Una confibula non sat est_
Phone: Canada 613 832-0541
Latest psroff: FTP://ftp.uunet.ca/distrib/chris_lewis/psroff3.0pl17/*
Latest hp2pbm: FTP://ftp.uunet.ca/distrib/chris_lewis/hp2pbm/*

---

From: [email-masked] (Kathryn L. Schmitz)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 22:48:40 GMT

>>away from the garden perimeter would be appreciated.

My parents have had some good luck with "Deer Away," some kind of a repellent I
think they spray on their vegetation to discourage the deer from eating it. 
I'll try to remember to ask where they got it.

Katie

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Lewis)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 23:10:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Kathryn L. Schmitz)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 22:48:40 GMT

Katie

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Lewis)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 23:10:29 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Kathryn L. Schmitz)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 22:48:40 GMT

Katie