Subject: Morning Glory as Privacy Fence

From: [email-masked] (Scott shy)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 13:19:44 EST

Morning glories can grow just about anywhere (and a lot of times where
you don't want them to) so your 1" strip should be fine. When you plant
your seeds or your potted plants make sure that you know where you want
them before you plant them because they don't like to be moved once
they're in the ground.
You can get a pretty thick screen of morning glory to give you lots of
privacy and you can also make the trellises just about as tall as you
want because I've seen morning glories grow as much as 25-30' tall in a
single season. They are annuals but are such vigorous growers that you
should have a good covered trellis within a matter of weeks.
They like sun and will close up at night. If you want some open flowers
for the evening, you can plant Moonflowers with them, which are closely
related but open at night(usually white). Read the seed package label
and I think it will tell you to nick the outside of the seed and soak
them for 24 hours before you plant them to get better results.
As far as being poisonous to animals I can't tell you whether they are
or not, but do try to plant them on the other side of the fence than
where the dogs are so they won't dig them up.
Good luck!
Tammy

Gateway Online ... 38 Line Multi-user Interactive Information System
Taylor, Michigan - (313)291-5571 2400 baud (313)291-5571 9600 baud
Sysops: Bill Mullen - Jeff Breitner