Subject: Bonsai-apple tree

From: [email-masked] (Wolfgang Arnetzl)
Date: 2 Apr 95 13:52:00 +0200

Hello pot gardeners!

I want to grow an apple tree in a pot on my terrace. Do I have to cut only  
the branches in order to keep it small or is there anything to do with the  
roots also? Are there any rules one can copy from Bonsai gardening? Or is  
it impossible anyway?

Lots of questions, I hope you got lots of answers for me! :-)

Wolfgang (from Germany)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 10:42:03 -0500

> roots also? Are there any rules one can copy from Bonsai gardening? Or is  
Check with your local nurseries for apples grafted on to dwarfing
rootstocks.  These are the best chance for making it in a tub.

Remember that apples need sun for good fruiting, and that sun =
transpiration (water loss through leaves), so you may have to figure
out how to keep the tub moist enough to be acceptable to the tree,
not so moist the tree "drowns" (root rot).

My major advice would be to use as big a tub as possible for maximum
root volume.  Old wine barrels, perhaps?

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:32:19 -0700

The easiest way to accomplish the task is to get an apple on 
dwarfing rootstock. There are rootstocks that produce trees 1- 2 metres 
high; many of these were produced in England so they should be available 
in Germany. Two of these rootstocks are M27 and P22.
Bruce Moon
Rio Linda, CA

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 21:11:44 GMT

>in Germany. Two of these rootstocks are M27 and P22.

you may want to check with East Malling Nurseries in UK.

They do a lot of work with dwarf rootstock..  I did some work on
rhis when I studied Pomology at College.

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 10:42:03 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:32:19 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 21:11:44 GMT

Derryl Killan

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:32:19 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 21:11:44 GMT

Derryl Killan