Subject: squirrels eat tulips

From: [email-masked] (Carol Topitzer)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 02:17:25 GMT

Sure, they're cute, but they eat our tulips every year!  
Is there some kind of repellant to keep this from happening?
Nothing poisonous...just repellant.
Any advice? 

-carol in CT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:41:33 GMT

>Nothing poisonous...just repellant.
Try spreading some ground pepper on the top of the tulip
bed.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:35:24 GMT

I've had great success using dried blood.  It also helos fertilize the
beads. Just sprinkle it around the bulbs when planted or stir it into the
soil, about every  month.  It really doesn't take that much for each
application.
Gwen

---

From: [email-masked] (Celia Andersen)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:33:00 GMT

Cayenne pepper works! A big thank you to those people who suggested
it as a "natural" solution to a long-time problem. 

For three years, squirrels have munched the bulbs AND the shoots as 
they emerged from the ground.  To help the pepper stick, I sprayed 
water mixed with a drop of dish detergent on each shoot, then
liberally sprinkled cayenne on and around each plant. 

It's been three days and the critters have apparently moved on to 
other (more palatable?) food sources. I plan to reapply as necessary, 
and as new shoots appear. 

CA 

p.s. Bulk and natural food stores sell cayenne a lot cheaper than 
grocery stores.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:41:33 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:35:24 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Celia Andersen)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:33:00 GMT

CA