Subject: Re: Ragweed - to eradicat

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 15:54:03 EST

Ragweed seeds are wind-dispersed.  To reduce their germination you
could use per-emergent herbicides.  In my experience ragweed ignores
mulches and fabric barriers, growing right through them.

Richard Shiell          [email-masked]

IS>Despite years of trying, I have ragweed in my garden.  I hoe and hoe, and
IS>pull and yank, but it comes back within minutes.  Any suggestions of how
IS>to deal with it without killing everything in the garden (try to be
IS>organic as possible)

IS>Thanks, Alice
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ Old gardeners don't die, they just go to seed.

--
Mainframes, Minis & Micros     |     Desert Jewel BBS & Mall
5630 District Blvd.   #114     |     WWW.KERN.COM
Bakersfield, CA      93313     |     TELNET DJ.KERN.COM
LandLine  ==  800-949-1959     |     FTP FTP.KERN.COM

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Apr 95 13:00:55 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> 
> Ragweed seeds are wind-dispersed. 

WOW!  If we're both talking about _Ambrosia_, you've got better winds
than our prairie blasts!  Ambrosia "seeds" (actually one-seeded
fruits) are about 4-5 x 3 mm, sort of "woody tops" for A. trifida,
giant ragweed, and A. artemisiifolia a little smaller, about BB
size.  Around here, they're gravity dispersed and sometimes hauled 
around by critters like voles.

> To reduce their germination you

Scuffle-hoeing seedlings is about the least work, in my opinion,
followed by a good heavy mulch.  Supposedly iron sulfate sprays
will control annual rag (A. artemisiifolia), but I've not tried it.

The seeds have good dormancy, and can lay in soil for many years 
before germinating.  Watch for the seedlings to appear, hoe or
pull, and mulch.

Kay Klier  klier@cobra/uni.edu

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Apr 95 13:00:55 -0500