Subject: Re: Rhododendron/Transplant when?

From: [email-masked] (Bob Kirk)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 23:39:01 -0600

A few summers ago working for a rather wilful rich man I had the
pleasure of moving a 4-5'W x 3'H 'Boule de Niege' across town into his
yard the last week of July.  In Kansas. Not western Kansas, to be sure
(God's Country - or bits & pieces of it scattered about at least) but
quite convincingly Kansas by New England standards I'd imagine.

   Under good high shade, and rather obsessive watering - and with a damn
thorough job of digging and site preparation if I do say so myself - the
plant never even blinked and is thriving still. Seems I remember reading
the Brits are in the habit of moving 12-footers around like geraniums.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 02:52:47 GMT

A dose of Wilt-Proof wouldn't hurt, esecially in the dead of summer. You can 
pretty much transplant Rhodies anytime the spirit moves YOU!

Steven

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 02:52:47 GMT

Steven

---

From: [email-masked] (NiniMaine)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 21:47:48 -0400

Hold it--don't rhodies root in the fall? They should be transplanted in
spring or summer--but not in fall. Of course, they should always be
transplanted in cool, gray weather--preferably a good coastal drizzle.
Makes em feel at home.