Subject: water absorbent gel

From: [email-masked] (Roderick Carr)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 17:58:44 GMT

Hi everyone

I'm new to this group and just establishing a new garden in poor soil.  I 
have been using the fancy water holding gels from the plant store in 
pots, window boxes etc and in some areas where the soil is awful (I've 
added compost as well).  After watching my 18 month old sit in the wading 
pool that I'd filled up to water pots etc - his diaper had filled up too 
- it is full of some sort of gel too!  

Does anyone out there know if the filling in baby diapers would be 
harmful to plants (I mean unused ... ;-)  because it would be much 
cheaper than buying it in the little jars?

Thanks for any advice.

Jenny Carr
kiwi in exile

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 17:31:58 -0600

> cheaper than buying it in the little jars?

I hear it's the same stuff.  I've had good luck with "wassergel"
from Musser Forests (don't have the catalog at the moment, but
they do have an 800 number)... it's MUCH less expensive by the 
pound.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:50:46 GMT

>cheaper than buying it in the little jars?

Why not write the manufacturer (the address should be on the
little jar) and see if it is cheaper in bulk lots?  As a long-term
plan, seriously improving the soil is probably a better choice,
though.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 20:06:36 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> re diaper gels and soil amending polymers..

> they do have an 800 number)... it's MUCH less expensive by the 
Nothing like following your own post, but I just opened the AM 
Leonard catalog, and there it was... Terra-sorb acrylamide
copolymers in three particle sizes.  I suppose the AG grade (1-3
mm) would be the best for most home gardens.

They'll sell it to you at 4 lbs for $32, 10 for $61, 55 for $295, and
3 oz for $1.42...

This only lasts 3-4 years in most soils, but that should give you
time to increase the soil organic matter enough you shouldn't need it.

AM Leonard is 1-800-543-8955.     I've only bought tools from them.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 17:31:58 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:50:46 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 20:06:36 -0600

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 17:31:58 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:50:46 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 20:06:36 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 20:38:01 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Roderick Carr) says:
>pool that I'd filled up to

HI there I would suggest that you continue with organic matter.
Several bags of peat moss will be of more help than the water
absorbamt gels.  You can be very liberal with the prat and then 
use soapy water to moisten it if needed.

Derryl Killan
Hort. Tech.