Subject: Re: Dusty Miller

From: [email-masked] (Michael Miller)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 15:16:44 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Steven M. Begley) wrote:

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Sack19999) writes:
>>From: [email-masked] (Sack19999)
>>Subject: Dusty Miller
>>Date: 18 Mar 1995 00:27:22 -0500
>
>>Last Spring, we planted Dusty Miller around our house near St.Louis, MO.
>Should we prune them to the ground, to 3 inches high, or just cut off what
>>doesn't perk up in the next week or two?
>
>I don't know if this is the 'right" answer (I don't know if I ever have the 
>"right" answer, I can only share expeience).
>In Philadelphia, PA (zone 6) I let Dusty Miller stand all 
>winter, simply because it's better than bare ground. I have never seen last 
>year's growth come back again so in the spring I cut it back to the heavy 
>stems at the base and let it grow up from the ground again.
>Steven
I agree with Steven, just cut back the old growth and let is grow back.
Michael

-- 
[email-masked]
Michael Miller

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:08:46 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Sack19999) writes: 

>It grew to unheard of sizes, according to the local plant experts, due to
>Miracle Grow. We were advised not to cut down these monsters in the Fall,
>but to wait and only cut off whatever doesn't come back in the Spring.
>Well, now it's Spring, and we need to know what to cut off and what to
>leave. With Dusty Miller, there's no discoloration after freezing,
>although the larger plants are quite wilted. 

Well, I personally don't like Dusty Miller; but my mother
and grandmother both loved it.  They cut it to the ground
every year, and it came back just fine.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:08:46 GMT

Chris Owens