Subject: Crows in the garbage

From: [email-masked] (Mike Carter)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 10:36:20

Up to last week I was sure that dogs were tearing apart my garbage bags 
shortly after I put them out at the end of my driveway. Last week I discovered 
it is crows. They make a real mess. Dogs come by and leave their tracks but 
are not to blame.

I do not really want to buy traditional garbage cans, as they would have to 
sit at the end of the driveway all day, and a traditional garbage bin made out 
of plywood would seem too unsitely for our very clean neighbourhood.

Does anyone have any ideas?

MFC

---

From: [email-masked] (Penny Nielsen)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 18:08:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>it is crows.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but have heard that several drops of bleach 
sprinkled in your garbage bag or on a paper towel in your garbage bag will 
deter animals from wrecking havoc with it.  Its worth trying on the crows. 
We have lots of them too, but they haven't as yet gotten into our garbage, 
perhaps because I compost most waste and feed them too.  Good Luck.  Penny

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 08:32:50 GMT

>Dawn Burgess says
>> Pouring ammonia in the bag before you seal it is effective for some
>> animals.  They break into the sack and are rewarded with eye-stinging
>> fumes.  
>Geez, Dawn, this seems awfully cruel especially considering that this
>guy's problem with the crows is caused (apparently) by his aesthetic
>objection to garbage cans.  Couldn't we be a little kinder to the crows
>& a little less fussy about our yard? 
>Marcie
I agree. I had a problem with crows and sea gulls in my garbage.  I bought a 
garbage can with a lid and no more problem.  If he doesn't like garbage cans 
then he can paint pretty little flowers on them. :)

Don
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Penny Nielsen)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 18:08:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 08:32:50 GMT

Don