Subject: New Office - No Windows

From: [email-masked] (Kate Wrightson)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 23:26:13 GMT

I can't remember if this was a rec.gardens or gardens-l topic, so I'll 
just post it here again - apologies if this is a rehash.

I just started work in an interior office with no windows and fluorescent 
lighting.  Are there any plants (preferably *besides* pothos) that would 
handle such a dreary life?  Or shall I get silk instead?

--
*****************************************************************************
[email-masked]            Kate Wrightson        [email-masked]
                       Will grovel for R.E.M. tickets!
      "Mine is a life fairly teeming with little elves." -- Henry Alford
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Art Campbell)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:03:52 GMT

>handle such a dreary life?  Or shall I get silk instead?

Philodendrens certainly will, but you don't have to live with poor
light . . . Go to the hardware store and get a couple clip on lamps
and put incandescent gro-light bulbs in 'em. If you want to go
first class, get a timer too.
Also, lots of plants will live if they're close enough to the lights. 
Try hanging baskets under the fixtures  . . .

Art
-- 
Art Campbell          [email-masked]            [email-masked]
    "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent 
     and a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
                             No disclaimers apply.

---

From: [email-masked] (Art Campbell)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:03:52 GMT

Art

---

From: [email-masked] (Cheryl Netter x3449)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 16:18:23 GMT

>handle such a dreary life?  Or shall I get silk instead?

Well, I have plenty of fluorescent lighting, no window, and have in my office:
pony tail palm, several bromiliads, boston fern, caladium, pothos,
and a croton. In the past I've succesfully kept african violets,
sansevieria, rabbit's foot fern, spider plant and streptocarpus. 

[email-masked]