Subject: Re: Need Year-round Gardening Reference Book

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:17:45 -0700

You do not indicate where you live. One of the best resources, 
particualarly for Gardeners west of the Rockies, is the Sunset Western 
Garden Book. It porvides basic information, a plant encyclopedia keyed to 
about 24 zones, zone maps, and a section on problem planting situations 
(plants for around a swimming pool, plants for slopes, plants for areas 
with oak root fungus, etc. It would be a bargain at $40, but you can get 
it at Price Costco for $12. The latest edition will be on CD Rom in a few 
months.
Bruce Moon
Rio Linda, CA

---

From: John W. Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 95 22:53:06 -0500

I am relatively new to the pleasures of gardening and I would like suggestions
on the best reference books for what to do when each year.  I know that there
are some syndicated columns in newspapers that do this, but I would really
rather have something basicI can turn to whenever I have a question.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
 
jwc

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Moon)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 18:17:45 -0700

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 21:48:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (David A. Verbil) says:
Hi There; It has been my experience in my horticultural career that
there is not normally a single book to cover all aspects of gardening.

Actually, we learned that in college! :-).  The best thing I learned was 
how to find the info i needed for my assignments.  Also because I was 
on a Govt. program, I got the bulk of my books free.  Oddly enough I had a 
better collection than the library.

But, even after I graduated I still bought books for the aspects of 
Horticulture that I was into at the time.

It is often better to buy a few books which are focussed on what
you want rather than one general purpose do all book with out any
depth on any topics.  The exception would be a good encyclopedium
which is up to date.

Happy gardening
Derryl Killan
[email-masked]