Subject: white bugs (aphids?) on hibiscus

From: [email-masked] (Patrick McGowan)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 20:31:29 GMT

We have a nice 22 year old hibiscus tree (7 feet tall) in our department  
tea room (indoors).  It's been quite healthy for most of those years but  
it's not very happy these days as it has been infested with little white  
bugs. I'm not sure if they are a type of aphid. They hang on the leaves  
and stems and may be responsible for the leaves' dropping. No bug sprays  
or insecticidal soaps seem to work. I had similar bugs on one of my own  
plants last winter (Mandevilla vine) and the only way I succeded in  
clearing them off was by radical pruning. Should we attempt this with the  
hibiscus? How radical can we go with a hibiscus. Help. Please respond to  
my e-mail address ([email-masked]).

Thanks. Patrick

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 08:58:17 +0000

> my e-mail address ([email-masked]).

Sounds like they could be mealy bugs - look slightly furry white under
a magnifying glass, and a bit hard to kill as the fur doesn't wet out.
Methylated spirits on a small paint brush will control small infestations,
on a pot plant but for a tree you have to use a systemic insecticide.
I use Dimethoate as a systemic but I don't know if it's OK on hibiscus.
As a knock down insecticide Malathion will also work, but it will take
several sprayings over a period of weeks to kill them all.

I would spray it outside the tearoom!

Hope this helps.
Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: [email-masked] (DLAW)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:39:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
>my e-mail address ([email-masked]).

What you have is probably White Flies and they are a real pain with 
Hibiscus. When I first got them last summer I tried every chemical know to 
man and to the point of desperation. They were killing the plant so if they 
don't my chemical spraying would. A non chemical gardner told me to spray 
them with summer dormant oil as long as the temp was below about 95 degrees. 
To my amazement they reduced gradually to almost gone, but not quite. They 
lay their eggs on the bottom of the leaves, so you have to get the spray 
there. The oil smothers the eggs and it really works. It doesn't seem to 
hurt the plant or blooms.

 Like I said I haven't completely gotten rid of them but they are under 
control, I hope you get more responses as I would really like to complete 
control them too.

Good luck and let me know if you hear anything else interesting.

Dan [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 08:58:17 +0000

Hope this helps.
Regards,

---

From: [email-masked] (DLAW)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:39:13 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 08:58:17 +0000

Hope this helps.
Regards,

---

From: [email-masked] (DLAW)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:39:13 GMT