Subject: Re: Ash under attack, whassup ?

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:14:53 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Farooq Butt) writes: 

>
>
>Most of my my Arizona Ash tree's new leaves are curling up. When I
>pluck the leaves, and unroll 'em I see vast quantities of HIDEOUS
>grayish insects living inside eating them. I would be inclined to grab
>my sprayer and douse the tree with Sevin or Orthene or... IF it
>weren't for the many, many ladybugs I see who are presumably munching
>on the gray nasties.  What's going on here ? Should I grab the sprayer
>or leave the ladybugs to fatten themselves ? Is the tree in any danger
>?
>
>fmb 
>-- 
>Standard High-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING  in the above article has the slightest 
>relationship to reality. If any reality correspondences are found, please 
>notify me IMMEDIATELY. Any threats, abuse or stupidity of any kind is purely 
>UNintentional. These are MY Opinions NOT my employer's.
>

Sounds like you've got aphids.  Look around for ants, and kill the 
hill.  The ladybugs' larvae will cheerfully eat the aphids; and, if
you get the ants under control, you should be aphid-free (or at
least aphid-fewer) in no time.  My birch gets infested every year,
and it hasn't died from it yet.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:14:53 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Farooq Butt)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 13:28:19 -0600

fmb