Subject: Ryobi Cultivator Attachment - Opinions?

From: [email-masked] (Sharon Hasting)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 17:00:04 GMT

Has anyone purchased/used the cultivator attachment for the
Ryobi trimmer? We're considering purchasing one, but would
like to know if anyone has any strong negative opinions on
its usefulness.

I'd be grateful for email responses - time is short, and rec.gardens
is long!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
/ Sharon Landress Hasting       | so keep your eyes to the sky,      / 
/ [email-masked]        | it could be a brand name,          /
/ Tandem Computers Incorporated | and remember all things considered,/
/ Austin, Texas                 | you really can't complain...       / 
/ personal opinions             |                     --Stan Ridgway /
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

---

From: [email-masked] (BillH1108)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 11:16:52 -0400

Sharon,
I joined this newsgroup to ask the very same question. I saw the Ryobi
(both gas and electric) at the local home center for the first time, last
weekend. There were other attachments such as a vacuum, blower, as well as
the weed cutter. I favor the electric motor vs. gas just for the sake of
convenience. The price was OK also. They wanted about $70.00 for the
weedeater, and another $55.00 or so for the cultivator. Even though I
already have an electric weedeater,  I would buy the Ryobi electric one in
a minute if anyone in this group said they had decent results with it. I
am also going to ask the question in another group that I belong to. I
will share the answer. By the way, do you already have a Ryobi weedeater,
if you do, is it gas or electric, and do you like it.
                                                Peace,
                                                      Bill Hansbury

---

From: [email-masked] (BillH1108)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 11:16:52 -0400

Sharon,

---

From: [email-masked] (Norma Walling)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 15:43:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(BillH1108) writes:
|> Sharon,
|> I joined this newsgroup to ask the very same question. I saw the Ryobi
|> (both gas and electric) at the local home center for the first time,
|> last
|> weekend. There were other attachments such as a vacuum, blower, as well
|> as
|> the weed cutter. I favor the electric motor vs. gas just for the sake
|> of
|> convenience. The price was OK also. They wanted about $70.00 for the
|> weedeater, and another $55.00 or so for the cultivator. Even though I
|> already have an electric weedeater,  I would buy the Ryobi electric one
|> in
|> a minute if anyone in this group said they had decent results with it.
|> I
|> am also going to ask the question in another group that I belong to. I
|> will share the answer. By the way, do you already have a Ryobi
|> weedeater,
|> if you do, is it gas or electric, and do you like it.
|>                                                 Peace,
|>                                                       Bill Hansbury

I am not an expert . . . but my husband bought the Ryobi trimmer a couple
weeks ago and we are also in the middle of a majore relandscape project. 
After an hour+ of pickaxing the ground (about 6-9 inch depth) and I added
in lots and lots of compost, meat moss and manure , I started tying to mix
by hand . . . I gave up and sent my husband off to buy the cultivator
attachment!   Viola!!  It was still hard work but I had the most beautiful
soil to plant in afterwards.   It was worth our money!

-- 
Norma Walling
Silicon Graphics Inc.
IMS Finance
(Office)415/390-3213
(E-Mail)[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (BillH1108)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 11:16:52 -0400

Sharon,

---

From: [email-masked] (Norma Walling)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 15:43:50 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (BillH1108)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 18:21:39 -0400

Thanks, I'm off to buy one too. The other group that I got information
from advised that there might be trouble with the cultivator if the shaft
inside is flexible rather than ridgid. But there were no negative
comments. The home store people said that they sold about 25 this month
and none were returned. As an aside, I leved in Texas (Denton) for 100
years from 1974 through 1988. I did everything from voodoo to prayer to
try and get things to grow there. I wasn't too sucessful. Good luck to
you. In West Virginia, where we now live, you can stick a broom handle in
the ground and it will bear whisk brooms the first year.
                                                Peace,
                                                      Bill Hansbury