Subject: Re: Jerry Baker

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 05:22:52 GMT

On 19 Mar 1995 01:19:36 GMT, 
Janine Dahms Walker  <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I just finished watching a show by Jerry Baker and was intriqued by
>his"tonics" for fertilization and also for prevention.  My question
>concerns his prevention tonics.  He states they will kill flying insects
>and prevent infestation.  What effect does this have on beneficials?  He's
>using tobacco juice, ammonia, soap, and pine sol.
>
>-- 
>Janine Dahms Walker
>
He sounds scary.  Have you ever looked at the label on the pesticide 
nicotine sulfate, which is the commercial product made from tobacco?  
That stuff is more potent than any of the pesticides that I use!  
Natural does not necessarily mean safe!  Our county agent made the 
statement to our master gardener group that many home remedies would  
never pass the same tests required of commercial pesticides.

lah
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 19:46:52 GMT

Well, I admit readily that I am a big Jerry Baker fan and have used his
recipes in the past.  I have yet to use "Gandma Put's REcipe" the one with
the diluted tobacco juice, but I have used his growth fromula and the one
listed by Dale below:
>
>What about his weed killer formula? 
>1 teaspoon gin
>1 teaspoon vinegar
>1 teaspoon baby shampoo
>32 oz. water

He really does have some good ideas and easy solutions (pun intended!) for
finding products already in your house that you can use in the garden. 
These are simple things that supply sugar, nitrogen, lime, etc. to your
yeard when you need them.

So he's a little quirky>...

Meredith

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale McSwain)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:16:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> writes:
|>On 19 Mar 1995 01:19:36 GMT, 
|>Janine Dahms Walker  <[email-masked]> wrote:
|>
|>>I just finished watching a show by Jerry Baker and was intriqued by
|>>his"tonics" for fertilization and also for prevention.  My question
|>>concerns his prevention tonics.  He states they will kill flying insects
|>>and prevent infestation.  What effect does this have on beneficials?  He's
|>>using tobacco juice, ammonia, soap, and pine sol.
|>>
|>>-- 
|>>Janine Dahms Walker
|>>
|>He sounds scary.  Have you ever looked at the label on the pesticide 
|>nicotine sulfate, which is the commercial product made from tobacco?  
|>That stuff is more potent than any of the pesticides that I use!  
|>Natural does not necessarily mean safe!  Our county agent made the 
|>statement to our master gardener group that many home remedies would  
|>never pass the same tests required of commercial pesticides.
|>
|>lah
|>[email-masked]
|>
|>

Spray on plants you want to kill. Sort of like
roundup. Will this work?

Dale McSwain
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 19:16:23 -0600

> Spray on plants you want to kill. Sort of like

I really can't see that it will work, but there's nothing particularly
harmful here:

gin is what... about 80 proof?  40% ethanol?  With an extract of
  juniper berries, which should give you a few terpenoids.  And
  he's asking for a tsp per quart.  But the alcohol sprays that
  are used for aphids and whitefly are usually made with 1 or 2 
  CUPS of 70% alcohol per quart of water.  And at this rate, you
  usually don't burn leaves too badly.

1 tsp vinegar, which is 3% or so acetic acid.  Acetate ions are
  pretty useful for secondary metabolism, but that amount of vinegar
  isn't going to acidify much of anything.

1 tsp baby shampoo, which is generally a soft soap or a detergent.
  I've used baby shampoo a couple of times for spreader-sticker
  in homemade sprays, and I've never seen leaf damage at this 
  concentration.   Soap sprays for insecticidal purposes are 
  usually 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp per gallon, or 1 - 3/4 tsp per quart.
  At this sort of concentration, you shouldn't see a whole lot
  of leaf damage.

When I look at these together, the only one that seems to be
of much hope in the herbicide department is the shampoo, and I
suspect it would take repeated applications to get very far
with this.

Does someone have a good weedpatch they'd like to volunteer for
an experiment?  How about trying to treat 10 dandelions
with Baker's weed killer, 10 with 1 tsp gin + 1 qt water,
10 more with 1 tsp vinegar + 1 qt water, and 10 more with
1 tsp baby shampoo in a quart of wate, and 10 more with 
plain water.  Let's see if this formula does work!

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 19:46:52 GMT

Meredith

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale McSwain)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:16:05 GMT

Dale McSwain
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 19:16:23 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 19:46:52 GMT

Meredith

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale McSwain)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:16:05 GMT

Dale McSwain
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 19:16:23 -0600