Subject: FAQ: Cabbages

From: Brian Lo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:42:47 -0800

CABBAGE
                       Brassica oleracea (Capitata Group)

VARIETIES (approximately 75 days for early varieties, 90 days for mid-season, 
to over 120 days for late large-headed varieties).

      A wide range of excellent cabbage varieties are available that are 
resistant to heat, cold, and a number of important diseases and physiological 
disorders.  Choose test varieties carefully.  The following is only a repre
sentative listing. 

      Fresh Market:
      Early - Heads Up, Market Victor, Earliana, Stonehead, Princess, Golden 
Acre. For Trial:  Cheers, Green Cup (both Fusarium Yellows resistant and Black 
Rot tolerant)
      Mid-season - Applause, Bravo, Market Topper, Market Prize, Tastee, 
Protector.  For trial: Pacifica, Quisto.  K-K cross and O-S Cross (heat 
tolerant, large).
      Late - Zerlina, S-D Cross, Excel, Bartolo, Winter Star, Danish Ballhead 
strains, Houston Evergreen.

      Savoy Cabbage:  Savoy Ace.

      Processing:  Processor specifies varieties.  The following have been 
grown successfully: Bravo, King Cole, Sanibel, Roundup, Superette, Titan 90, 
Danish Ballhead, Late Flat Dutch.  For trial:  Atria (very late); Carlton 
(mid-season); Ergon (very late); Krautking (late, large); Krautpacker (mid-
season); Marvellon (early); Orbit (late); Rodolfo (mid-season); Sagitta 
(late).  Those for trial are suggested on the basis of New York data.

      Red Cabbage: Ruby Perfection, Red Acre, Ruby, Ruby Ball, Red Head.  For 
Trial:  Cardinal.

      Note: Black Rot resistance is reported for the varieties Cheers, Green 
Cup, Zerlina, Bravo, Genesis, Protector and the red types Ruby Perfection and 
Red Head.  Also, Rio Verde, Bravo, King Cole, Little Rock, Falcon, Titanic 90, 
and Ruby Perfection (red) may be less susseptible to thrip injury (New York 
data).

      Overwintering Cabbage, for trial only:  Green Glow, Spring Time, Spring 
Hero, Spring Queen 2nd, F-S Cross.  Varieties are listed by order of maturity.
Intended for planting in September for spring and early summer harvest 
(approximately 220 days) in mild winter areas.  Do not plant too early to 
avoid bolting.

      Ornamental Cabbages, also known as flowering kales:  Sekito, Red Pigeon, 
White Pigeon, Rose Bouquet, White Lady.  These may be marketed as garnishes 
for salad bars.

      Novelty:  Walking Stick Cabbage.  Used to make walking sticks with 
character!  Thompson and Morgan Seed Co. provides seed and instructions.
                                                            
SEED COMPANIES

Abbott & Cobb Inc. POB F307, Feasterville, PA 19047
Asgrow Seed Company, POB 5038, Salinas CA 93915
American Takii Inc., 301 Natividad Rd. Salinas, CA 93906
Bejo Seeds, 1323 E. Fir St. Mount Vernon WA 98273
Brinker Orsetti Seed Co., 2339 A Technology Parkway, Hollister CA 95023-2513.
      408/636-4822
Daehnfeldt Inc. POB 947, Albany, OR 97321
Elsoms Seeds Ltd. Spalding, Lincolnshire, England PE11 1QG
Ferry-Morse Seed Co. POB 4938, 555 Codoni Ave. Modesto, CA 95352
Gleckler's Seedmen, Unusual Seed Specialties.  Metamora OH 43540
Harris Moran Seed Co. 3670 Buffalo Rd. Rochester, NY 14624
Reed's Seeds, 3343 NYS Route 215, Cortland, NY 13045
Rogers NK Seed Co. PO Box 4727 Boise, ID 83711-4727 
Nunhems Zaden, Canners Seed Corp. 221 E. Main St. Lewisville, ID 83431
Royal Sluis Inc. 1293 Harkins Rd. Salinas, CA 93901
Sakata Seed America Inc. P.O. Box 877, Morgan Hill, CA 97037
Stokes Seeds Inc. POB 548, Buffalo, NY 14240
Sunseeds Genetics, Inc.  P O Box 1438, Hollister, CA 95023
Thompson and Morgan. POB 1308 Jackson, NJ 08527  ph: 201/363-2225
W. Osborne Seed Co. Int'l. 1679 Highway 99 South, Mount Vernon, WA 98273 
Zenner Bros. Seed Co., Inc.  1311 S.E. Gideon St. Portland, OR 97202

IMPORTANT

      Before planting this Crucifer crop, consider the following important 
factors:
      1.  No crucifer crop, or related weed has been present in the field for 
at least 2 years, 4 years preferable.  Crucifer crops include cabbage, 
cauliflower, broccoli, kale, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts, Chinese cabbage, all 
mustards, turnips, rutabagas, radishes etc.  Cruciferous weeds include wild 
radish, wild mustards etc.  Also, crucifer plant waste should not have been 
dumped on these fields.
      2.  Soil pH should be 6.5 or higher.  Soil pH over 6.8 is necessary to 
manage club root.  The application of 1500 lbs/acre of hydrated lime, 6 weeks 
prior to planting is recommended for soils with pH less than 7.5 for club root 
control (see Disease Control section for more details).
      3.  Arrange to keep transplanted and direct-seeded fields separate to 
minimize spread of certain diseases that are more prevalent in transplanted 
fields.

SOIL

      Cabbage may be grown on a variety of soils but it does best on a well- 
drained, loam soil well supplied with organic matter.  Sandy loams are 
preferred for early crops.  Adjust soil pH to 6.0 - 6.8 for maximum yields.

SEED AND SEED-BED TREATMENTS

      Cabbage seed numbers approximately 144,000 per pound.  Pelletizing is 
not necessary but primed and coated seed is becoming popular.  Consult your 
seed dealer about the availability of primed seed.  Cabbage is most commonly 
direct seeded.  Some early production is transplanted.

      Use certified, or hot-water treated seed and fungicide treat seed to 
protect against several serious seed borne diseases.  Hot water seed treat
ments are very specific (122 F exactly, for 25 to 30 minutes; the wet seed 
must then be quickly cooled and dried).  The seed treatments are best done by 
the seed company, and can usually be provided upon request.

TRANSPLANT PRODUCTION

      Seed Beds for transplants:
           
      Locate these in an open, well drained area, free of club-root.  Lime if 
necessary, and fertilize with 10-30-10 at 625 lb/acre or its equivalent.  

      When seedlings are to be grown in a seed-bed for production of trans
plants, choose a site where cole crops have not been grown before, or fumigate 
prior to seeding with an approved fumigant following lable and manufacturer's 
recommendations.

      Always use certified or hot water treated seed for transplant produc
tion.  Seed in a greenhouse for an early crop, in a cold frame for a less 
early crop, and in outdoor seed-beds when the weather is warm enough for 
germination and growth (above 50 F).  In each case seed 5-6 weeks ahead of 
when the plants are wanted for transplanting.

      Four to 6 ounces of high quality, sized and density graded seed will 
provide enough transplants to plant 1 acre.  In the seed-bed use a drill with 
a scatter shoe to drop 15 to 20 seeds per foot in rows 10 inches apart.  

      Greenhouse transplant production

      Precision seed into modular flats, styrofoam trays or blocks of a peat- 
lite (peat vermiculite) mix or other suitable growing medium.  Crowding should 
be avoided. Provide 1.5-2.5 square inches per plant in modular trays.

      Temperatures should be maintained above 45 F at night and below 85 F 
during the day.  Seven days before transplanting start the hardening off 
process. 

      Follow the same process in a cold frame, or seed directly into the 
covered soil after it has been limed, fertilized and fumigated as for outdoor 
seed-beds.

FIELD SEEDING

      In western Oregon fresh market cabbage may be field seeded from mid 
March to August 10.  Cabbage for processing is generally seeded from mid April 
to the end of July.

      Preparation for direct seeding needs the same attention a seed-bed area 
would be given  A fine-textured soil, free of rocks, clods and trash, firm and 
very level, is required for precision seeding.

      Use a precision seeder such as a Stanhay, or Gaspardo vacuum planter, to 
drop 2 seeds 2 inches apart every 15 inches.  After the first true leaves have 
formed, thin to one plant per location.  In continuous seeding, thin the 
plants so as to leave 15 to 18 inches between them.

SOIL

      Cabbage may be grown on a variety of soils but it does best on a well- 
drained, loam soil well supplied with organic matter.  Sandy loams are 
preferred for early crops.  Adjust soil pH to 6.5 - 7.0 for maximum yields.

FERTILIZER

      A soil test is the most accurate guide to fertilizer requirements.  The 
following recommendations are general guidelines for western Oregon:

      Good management practices are essential if optimum fertilizer responses 
are to be realized in the production of cabbage.  These practices include use 
of recommended varieties, selection of adapted soils, weed control, disease 
and insect control, good seedbed preparation, proper seeding methods, and 
timely harvest.  

      Because of the influence of soil type, climatic conditions, and other 
cultural practices, crop responses from fertilizer may not always be accu
rately predicted.  Soil test results, field experience, and knowledge of 
specific crop requirements help determine the nutrients needed and the rate of 
application.  

      The fertilizer application for cabbage should insure adequate levels of 
all nutrients.  Optimum fertilization is intended to produce top quality and  
yields in keeping with maximum returns.  

      The suggested fertilizer applications are based on a 36" row spacing.  
With decreased row spacings, increased fertilizer rates are suggested.  

      Recommended soil sampling procedures should be followed in order to 
estimate fertilizer needs.  The Oregon State University Extension Service 
agent in your county can provide you with soil sampling instructions, soil 
sample bags, and information sheets.  

      Where cabbage is direst seeded, see "field fertilization section below.  
If transplants are to be used, and if transplants are to be field grown, 
fertilize transplant productions beds as follows:

                         TRANSPLANT BED FERTILIZATION

      Broadcast and work into the transplant bed:  

      1.  40 to 70 lbs Nitrogen/A.  
      2.  Apply phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, magnesium, boron, molybdenum, 
and lime up to the maximum rates suggested below for field applications.  

                            TRANSPLANTING SOLUTIONS

      Dilute solutions of complete fertilizers high in phosphorus promote 
quick recovery and early growth of transplants.  One-half pint of trans
planting solution should be injected into the furrow at the roots of each 
plant at time of transplanting.  A transplanting solution may be prepared by 
dissolving   3 lbs. of 11-48-0 or similar monoammonium phosphate fertilizer in 
a 55 gallon drum of water.

                              FIELD FERTILIZATION

      NITROGEN (N):

      A total application of 80-100 lbs. N/A is suggested.

      Broadcast about half of the N just prior to direct seeding or trans
planting or band 60-90 lbs N/A with the phosphorus.  Broadcast the remaining 
nitrogen at the time of last cultivation, or 1 to 2 weeks before the first 
cutting.  At the higher rates, two applications should be made 2 to 3 weeks 
apart. 

Nitrogen liquid fertilizer formulations having herbicidal effects:

      AN-20, Ammonium Thiosulfate and mixtures of these two materials can be 
used successfully in a number of Brassica crops such as broccoli, cabbage, and 
cauliflower.  The amount of nitrogen per gallon of material, the rate at which 
it is applied, and the phyto-toxicity of the material determines what crops 
these can be used on.

      All of these materials, when applied at the proper time and manner have 
the added benefit of ancillary control of many small (less than 3 inches) 
broadleaf weeds such as groundsell, pineapple weed, shepherdspurse, mallow, 
pigweed, hairy nightshade chickweed and many others.  Poor, or no control is 
obtained on lambs quarters, purslane, henbit, black nightshade, knotweed, sow 
thistle, malva goosefoot and grasses.

      When using these nitrogen sources in foliar applications, follow cau
tions listed.  Severe crop injury may occur if cautions are not observed.

      General cautions for the use of nitrogen liquid fertilizer formulations 
are:

      *  Apply only after the crop has at least two true leaves.  Application 
at between the 3rd and 6th true leaf stages is least likely to cause crop 
injury.
      *  Do not apply within 4 days of a period of cool, cloudy or rainy 
weather, or if free water is present on the leaves.
      *  Discontinue application if spray droplets do not roll off or "bead- 
up" on the leaves.  This indicates a deficiency of adequate waxy cuticle, and 
may be a temporary condition due to rapid growth, cloudy or rainy weather, or 
more seriously, the lack of adaptability of the variety.
      *  Do not apply within 4 days after a foliar pesticide has been applied, 
or with any wetting agent. 
      *  Use large nozzles to minimize misting and possible injury to the crop 
growing point.
      *  Direct the spray to the base of the crop with wide, low nozzles, or 
use crop shields whenever this can be done while still obtaining complete 
coverage of the weeds.

AN-20 fertilizer formulation:

      This is a manufactured 20-0-0 formulation (containing 20% N) that may be 
applied at 50 to 70 gallons of product per acre as a foliar spray.  This 
formulation weighs 10.55 lbs per gallon and contains 2.11 lbs N/gallon of 
product and would provide approximately 100 to 140 lbs N/acre (but some N is 
lost through volatilization).  Do not irrigate for 48 hours after application, 
but irrigate then to move the fertilizer into the root zone.

      When this treatment is used, subsequent nitrogen side dressings may be 
reduced by a portion of the amount of N applied in the treatment.

      Note: Mixtures of An-20 and Ammonium thiosulfate (usually 1:1) can be 
made which will reduce the amount of nitrogen applied, provide some sulfur (if 
AN-20 only would have been applied, and reducing the sulfur if only Ammonium 
thiosulfate were to be used), and be as effective as either material alone.  
Application rates are still held at 50 to 70 gallons of the mixture per acre. 

      Note:  This formulation is different from a solution that could be 
prepared by dissolving ammonium nitrate in water.  Such a solution would not 
have the same concentration or herbicidal effect.

      Also, To prevent crop injury, follow the cautions listed above.

                                    *****
Ammonium thiosulfate:

      This is a manufactured 12-0-0-26 formulation (containing 12% N and 26% 
sulfur) and weighs 9.33 lbs per gallon.  It may be applied at 50 to 70 gallons 
of product per acre as a foliar spray.  This solution contains 1.12 lbs 
nitrogen and 2.4 lbs sulfur per gallon of product and would provide approxi
mately 55 to 75 lbs N/acre (some N may be lost through volatilization).  At 
the application gallonage mentioned, about 150 to 168 lbs of S are also 
applied.  Do not irrigate for 48 hours after application, but irrigate then to 
move the fertilizer into the root zone.

      When this treatment is used, subsequent nitrogen side dressings may be 
reduced by a portion of the amount of N applied in the treatment.

      Note: Mixtures of An-20 and Ammonium thiosulfate (usually 1:1) can be 
made which will reduce the amount of nitrogen applied, provide some sulfur (if 
AN-20 only would have been applied, and reducing the sulfur if only Ammonium 
thiosulfate were to be used), and be as effective as either material alone.  
Application rates are still held at 50 to 70 gallons of the mixture per acre. 

      Also, To prevent crop injury, follow the cautions listed above. 

                                    *****

      PHOSPHORUS (P):

      Phosphorus fertilizer should be banded at the time of seeding or trans
planting.  Bands should be located 2-3" to the side of the seeds or plants and 
3-4" deep.  

         If the OSU soil test                    Apply this amount of 
          for P reads (ppm):                    phosphate (P2 O5) (lb/A):
 
               0 - 30                                 150 - 200
              30 - 50                                 100 - 150
              Over 25                                  80 - 100

      POTASSIUM (K):

      Limit band applications of K to 90 lbs K2 O/A.  Broadcast remainder of K 
and work into seedbed prior to planting.  The total of N plus K2 O in the band 
should not exceed 90 lbs./A.  Apply K as follows:

             If the OSU soil test             Apply this amount of
              for K reads (ppm):               potash (K2 O lb/A):

                     0 - 150                     150 - 200
                   150 - 200                      90 - 150
                   200 - 250                      60 - 90
                    Over 250                        None

      SULFUR (S):

      Include 25-40 lbs/A of S in the fertilizer pro gram.  S is sometimes 
contained in fertilizers used to supply other nutrients such as N, P, and K, 
but may not be present in sufficient quantity.  

      Plants absorb S in the form of sulfate.  Fertilizer materials supply S 
in the form of sulfate and elemental S.  Elemental S must convert to sulfate 
in the soil before the S becomes avail able to plants.  The conversion of 
elemental S to sulfate is usually rapid for fine ground (less than 40 mesh) 
material in warm moist soil).  

      Sulfur in the sulfate form can be applied at planting time.  Some S 
fertilizer materials such as elemental S and ammonium sulfate have an acidify
ing effect on soil.  

      The S requirements of crucifers can be provided by:  

      1.  The application of 25-40 lbs S/A in the form of sulfate at or prior 
to seeding or planting.  
      2.  Applying 40-50 lbs S/A as fine ground (finer than 40 mesh) elemental 
S the preceding year.  
      3.  Applying coarser ground elemental S at higher rates and less fre
quently.  

      MAGNESIUM (Mg):

      When the OSU soil test value for Mg is below 2 meq/100g soil, band 15- 
20 lbs Mg/A at transplanting or seeding time.  If Mg deficiency symptoms 
develop, spray with 10 lbs of Epsom salts in 100 gals of water/A.  

      Magnesium can also be supplied in dolomite, which is a liming material 
and reduces soil acidity to about the same degree as ground limestone.  
Dolomite should be mixed into the seedbed at least several weeks in advance of 
seeding and preferably the preceding year.  It can also be supplied by the 
application of Epsom salts or Sul-Po-Mag fertilizer prior to seeding or 
transplanting as follows:

      * Sul-Po-Mag at 150 to 200 lb./acre.  
      * OR  Epsom salts at 150 to 200 lb./acre.
      * OR  Dolomitic Limestone at 225 to 275 lb./acre.

      BORON (B):

      Cabbage is sensitive to boron deficiency.  Apply boron as follows:

             If the OSU soil test                Apply this amount
              for B reads (ppm):                    of B (lbs/A):

                    0 - 1                         3 - 4 broadcast
                    1 - 3                         1 - 2 broadcast
                   Over 3                       1/2 - 1 foliar spray
 
      A satisfactory foliar spray contains 1 lb B/100 gals of water.  

      Fertilizers containing B should not be banded.

      Fields East of the Cascades or where winter rainfall is low, and to 
which the higher rates of boron has been applied should not normally be 
planted to beans or cucumbers the following year, as both these crops are 
extremely sensitive to boron.

      LIME:

      If a mineral soil is below pH 6.3 or an organic soil is below 5.5 and/or 
the calcium (Ca) level is below 8 meq/100g soil lime should be applied.  
Compared to other vegetables cabbage has a fairly high lime requirement.  

      The application of lime is suggested when the soil pH is below 6.3 

              If the OSU SMP Buffer             Apply this amount
               test for lime reads:                of lime (T/A):

                   Below 5.6                          5 - 7
                   5.7 - 5.9                          4 - 5
                   5.9 - 6.1                          3 - 4
                   6.1 - 6.3                          2 - 3
                   6.3 - 6.6                          1 - 2
                   Over  6.6                          None

      The liming rate is based on 100-score lime.  

      Lime should be mixed into the seedbed at least several weeks before 
seeding and preferably the preceding year.  A lime application is effective 
over several years.  

      Some soils may have a fairly high OSU SMP buffer value (over 6.6) and a 
low pH (below 6.0).  This condition can be caused by the ap plication of 
acidifying fertilizer.  In this case the low pH value is temporary and the pH 
of the soil will increase as the fertilizer completes its reaction with the 
soil.  This temporary "active" acidity from fertilizer is encountered follow
ing recent applications of most nitrogen fertilizer materials.  Acidifying 
fertilizers also have a long term acidifying effect on soil which is cumula
tive and leads to lower OSU SMP buffer readings.  

      Sandy soils to which fertilizers have not been recently applied some
times record low pH and high SMP buffer values.  In such cases, a light 
application of lime (1 to 2 ton/A) should suffice to neutralize soil acidity.  

      For acid soils low in Mg (less than 0.5 meq Mg/100g soil) one T/A of 
dolomite lime can be used as a Mg source.  Dolomite and ground limestone have 
about the same ability to neutralize soil acidity.  

      The P, K, Mg, B and lime recommendations are based on soil test values 
from the Soil Testing Laboratory, OSU, Corvallis, Oregon.  

      These recommendations are largely based on the results of experiments 
conducted by Oregon State University Agricultural Experiment Station Hort
iculture and Soils Department research faculty.  

      These recommendations are quoted from OSU Fertilizer Guide FG 27.

IRRIGATION

      In soil suspected of having club root, care should be taken in not 
over-watering transplants after setting them out.  A total of 10-14" of water 
may be needed for direct seeded fields and 10-12" for transplanted ones in 
western Oregon.  Approximate summer irrigation needs for the Hermiston area 
have been found to be: 3.5 inches in May, 5.0 in June, 7.5 in July, and 7.0 in 
August.

      Soil type does not affect the amount of total water needed, but does 
dictate frequency of water application.  Lighter soils need more frequent 
water applications, but less water applied per application.

HARVESTING, HANDLING AND STORAGE

      In western Oregon fresh market cabbage may be harvested from mid July to 
the end of December.  The main harvest period is between the first of August 
and mid November.

      Cabbage for processing is generally harvested from about mid July to mid 
November.

      Average yields of processed cabbage in the Pacific Northwest are 
approximately 30 tons/acre with good yields about 40 tons/acre.  Average fresh 
market yield is reported at 235 cwt./acre with good yields about 300 cwt./a
cre.

      Processed cabbage can be machine harvested, but is ususally hand 
harvested in the Pacific Northwest.  All fresh market cabbage is hand harves
ted.  Heads should be harvested when firm and before they split or burst.  In 
harvesting for fresh market, leave 4-6 wrapper leaves attached to the head.  
The wrapper leaves are usually removed when harvesting for kraut. 

      STORAGE (Quoted from USDA Ag. Handbook #66):

      Store cabbage at 32 F. and a relative humidity of 98 to 100%.  A large 
percentage of the late crop of cabbage is stored and sold during the winter 
and early spring, or until the new crop from the southern states appears on 
the market.  If stored under proper conditions late cabbage should keep for 5 
to 6 months.  The longest keeping cultivars belong to the Danish class.  
Early-crop cabbage, especially southern grown, has a storage life of 3 to 6 
weeks.

      Cabbage is successfully held in common storage in the northern states, 
where a fairly uniform inside air temperature of 32 to 35 F. can be maintai
ned.  Many such storage houses are to be found, principally in New York, 
Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

      Storage houses should be insulated sufficiently to prevent freezing of 
the cabbage; for although slight freezing does little harm, hard freezing may 
cause considerable loss.  Heaters are sometimes needed to prevent freezing of 
cabbage in common storage during severe cold weather.

      Cabbage wilts quickly if held under too dry storage conditions; hence, 
the humidity should be high enough to keep the leaves fresh and turgid.  Use 
of polyethylene liners or pallet covers to prevent  desiccation can prove 
desirable under some  storage conditions.  Cabbage stored at 32 F. has less 
decay when the relative humidity is maintained at or near  saturation (98 to 
100 %) than at 90 to 95 %.
      
      Many growers now use pallet boxes as both field and storage containers 
so that there is no handling of the cabbage from the time of harvest until 
preparation for shipment or processing.  Some of the larger storages stack 
these pallet boxes five high.

      An increasing quantity of cabbage is now held in mechanically refrige
rated storages.  The storage life of late cabbage can be extended for several 
months if it is held in an atmosphere with 2.5 to 5 % oxygen and 2.5 to 5 % 
carbon dioxide.  Cabbage should be handled carefully from field to storage, 
and only solid heads with no yellowing , decay, or mechanical injuries should 
be stored.  Before the heads are stored, all loose leaves  should be trimmed 
away; only three to six tight wrapper leaves should be left on the head.   
left on the head.  Loose leaves interfere with ventilation between heads, and 
ventilation is essential for successful storage.  Upon removal from storage, 
the heads should be trimmed again to remove loose and damaged leaves.  Cabbage 
should not be stored with fruits emitting ethylene.  Concentrations of 10 to 
100 ppm of ethylene cause leaf abscission and loss of green color within 5 
weeks.

      The most common decays found in stored cabbage are watery soft rot, 
bacterial soft rot, gray mold rot, alternaria leaf spot, and black leaf speck.

PACKAGING

      Containers and weights commonly used for cabbage are crates (l 3/4 
bushels) 53-60 pounds, 50 pound mesh sacks, or 53 pound cartons.

                            PEST CONTROL FOR CABBAGE

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW, TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST PEST 
CONTROL HANDBOOKS, ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY, AND ARE REVISED ONLY ANNUALLY.  
BECAUSE OF CONSTANTLY CHANGING LABELS, LAWS, AND REGULATIONS, OREGON STATE 
UNIVERSITY CAN ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF USE OF CHEMICALS 
SUGGESTED HERE.  IN ALL CASES, READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND PRECAUTION
ARY STATEMENTS ON THE SPECIFIC PESTICIDE PRODUCT LABEL.

                          USE PESTICIDES SAFELY!

Wear protective clothing and safety devices as recommended on the label.  
Bathe or shower after each use.

Read the pesticide label--even if you've used the pesticide before.  Follow 
closely the instructions on the label (and any other directions you have).

Be cautious when you apply pesticides.  Know your legal responsibility as a 
pesticide applicator.  You may be liable for injury or damage resulting from 
pesticide use.

WEED CONTROL

     Cultivate as often as necessary when weeds are small.  Proper cultiva
tion, field selection and rotations can reduce or eliminate the need for 
chemical weed control.  

     THE WEED TREATMENTS LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST 
WEED CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS 
FOR CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES, AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

WEED MANAGEMENT GENERAL STRATEGY            

Weed suppression in crucifers begins by rotating crops that involve different 
weed control practices or herbicides to disrupt weed life cycles.  Row 
spacings and plant densities vary to achieve head size depending on the   
market and to suppress weeds.  Early season weed control comprises application 
of an herbicide and/or cultivation(s).
______________________________________________________________________________

STALE SEEDBEDS FOR VEGETABLE PRODUCTION

Stale seedbeds are sometimes used for vegetable production when other selec
tive weed control practices are limited or unavailable.  The concept depends 
on controlling the first flush of emerged weeds before planting or emergence 
of the crop followed by minimal soil disturbance which reduces subsequent weed 
flushes during establishment of the crop.  Following establishment, other weed 
control practices including cultivation or use of other herbicides can be 
used.

1.   Prepare a seedbed, preferably 2 to 3 weeks before planting to achieve     
     maximum weed seed germination near the soil surface.  Soil temperatures   
     and moisture must be reasonable or results will be erratic.

2.   Plant the crop with minimum soil disturbance.  Otherwise, new weed seed   
     will be exposed to favorable germinating conditions.

3.   Just before or after planting but before crop emergence, treat the field 
     by flaming or with herbicide to kill all germinated or exposed weeds.

Weed Treatment             Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flaming                                      

     Use liquid propane or similar fuel-burning equipment to quickly sear the 
     weeds, but not consume them with flame. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
paraquat                    0.625 to 0.94 lb ai/A   
  Gramoxone Extra    

     Restricted-use pesticide.  Do not ingest or inhale spray mist.  Wearing 
     protective face shields, respirators, and clothing is advised.  Apply     
     during or after planting, but before crop emergence.  Add a nonionic 
     surfactant or oil concentrate according to label specifications, taking 
     care to avoid anionic formulations that react in the tank to form         
     insoluble precipitates.  Exposed crop plants will be killed.  Do not 
     apply preplant or preemergence to soils lacking clay minerals, such as 
     peat, muck, pure sand, or artificial planting media.  (Acts as contact; 
     absorbs energy produced by photosynthesis forming peroxides that disrupt  
     living cells.) 
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
glyphosate              Consult Labels             
  Roundup                                    
  Roundup RT                                 
  (E. Washington and                      
  Idaho only)                           
  or Honcho +                               
  nonionic surfactant                          

     Apply to actively growing weeds either preplant in conjunction with site 
     preparatioon or preemergence crops listed on the label.  Consult label 
     for specific rates, times of application, and perennial species control-  
     led.  Generally 1 to 1.5 lbs ai/A should be used for annual weeds, while 
     perennial weeds require higher rates.  Addition of a surfactant or 
     ammonium sulfate improves activity when weeds are stressed.  Do not 
     apply more than 8 lbs. ai/A per year, nor plant non-labeled crops within 
     12 months  following application. (Inhibits production of 3 amino       
     acids and protein synthesis.)
______________________________________________________________________________

PREPLANT INCORPORATED 

Direct Seeded or Transplanted

Weed Treatment            Active Ingredient Per Acre or Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
trifluralin             0.5 to 1.0 lb ai/A 
  Treflan                                      

     Apply before planting and incorporate 2 to 3 inches deep by cross-disk
     ing or using a PTO rotary tiller.  Do not exceed 0.75 lb ai/A for direct 
     seeded crops.  Spray only once and avoid overlapping.  Consult label     
     for planting sensitive crops within 12 months.  (Inhibits mitosis, 
     primarily in shoots).
______________________________________________________________________________

PREEMERGENCE 

Weed Treatment            Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
napropamide             1 to 2 lb ai/A           
  Devrinol

     Selectivity is based on Devrinol placement above the seed or transplant 
     depth.  For direct seeded crops, apply to soil surface immediately after  
     planting and sprinker irrigate within 24 hours to wet soil 1 to 2 inches 
     deep, or mechanically incorporate not exceeding the seed depth.  
     Transplants can be treated preplant with shallow incorporation or 
     postplant with sprinkler irrigation.  Rotational crops listed on the    
     label require deep moldboard plowing while other crops should not be 
     planted sooner than 12 months following application.  (Inhibits root   
     growth).
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
DCPA                    4.5 to 9 lb ai/A    
  Dacthal                                      

     Performs erratically west of Cascades.  Elsewhere, apply immediately 
     after seeding or transplanting.  Results can be improved if rainfall or   
     overhead irrigation occurs immediately after application.  Consult label 
     for planting sensitive crops within 8 months.  (Inhibits mitosis).    
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
oxyfluorfen                  0.25 to 0.5 lb. ai/A   
  Goal                                
  (transplanted broccoli,                     
  cabbage, and cauliflower)                    

     Apply soon after final soil preparation and before transplanting through 
     the treated layer with minimal soil disturbance.  Select the lower rate 
     for coarse textured soils  with less than 1% organic matter.  Temporary 
     injury may occur when leaves contact treated soil.  Severe injury may 
     result when transplants are under stress due to temperature, disease,     
     fertilizer salts, nematodes, insects, pesticides, and storage conditions 
     or when small transplants grown in 1 inch cells are planted.  Following 
     transplanting, apply at least 0.25 inches overhead moisture.  Plant only 
     crops listed on the label within 10 months following treatment.  Grazing 
     of crop residue or treated fields is prohibited.  (Acts as a selective 
     contact that disrupts cell membranes.)
______________________________________________________________________________

POSTEMERGENCE

Weed Treatment            Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sethoxydim                   0.19 to 0.28 lb ai/A      
  Poast                   

     Identify susceptible grasses and apply at optimum growth stage listed on 
     the label.  Add 2 pints/A nonphytotoxic crop oil concentrate to improve 
     leaf absorption.  Erratic control often occurs when grasses are stunted 
     or stressed from drought, high temperatures, or low fertility.  Resis
     tant grasses include annual bluegrass and all fine fescues, whereas 
     quackgrass can be suppressed.  Do not apply within 30 days of harvest, 
     nor exceed 3 pints/A per season.  (Inhibits fatty acid production, cell 
     membranes, and new growth.
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

INSECT CONTROL

     Proper rotations and field selection can minimize problems with insects.  

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST INSECT 
CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS FOR 
CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

Insect and Description                Control, Active Ingredient Per Acre
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aphids, including                           Monitor - 0.5 to 1 lb     
Cabbage aphid 
  Brevicoryne brassicae                     malathion - 1.25 lb
Turnip aphid                                                  
  Hyadaphis erysimi                         Phosdrin - 0.25 lb        
Green peach aphid                                             
  Myzus persicae                            Dibrom - 1 to 2 lb
                                                              
Both species gray, mealy plant              diazinon - 0.5 lb
lice forming colonies on foliage,                             
on or in heads or in buds. Weak-            Metasystox-R - 0.375 to 0.75 lb
en plants and constitute an                                   
adulterant in processed foods.              endosulfan - 0.75 to 1.0 lb 
                                                                          
For effective aphid control,                Di-Syston - 1 lb
application of insecticides
should start with first appearance          Apply granules as a band on   
of aphids and be continued at reg-          each side of seed furrow or  
ular intervals as aphids appear.            transplanted row at planting,
This is particularly true of                or as a side dressing after  
broccoli and cauliflower to prevent         plants become established.   
aphids from concealing themselves             
in heads.                                   Liquid injections can be made 
                                            in similar manner. Do not apply 
NOTE:                                       directly to seed. See label for 
To be effective Di-Syston application       complete details.               
should be followed by sprinkler or         
furrow irrigation.  Di-Syston is            dimethoate - 0.25 to 0.5 lb   
relatively insoluble and requires                                         
high soil moisture to give best results.    Lorsban 50W - 1 lb          

                                            Pyrellin - 1 to 2 pt  

                                            Diatect - 1 to 3 lb formulation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabbage maggot                              Transplantings               
Delia brassicae                              diazinon - 0.125 to 0.25 lb/50 
                                             gal of water
White maggots that feed on                                               
roots and underground stems                 Preplant and transplant
and weaken, lodge, and kill                  Lorsban 4E - 0.05 to 0.086 lb 
plants. Adult is a small gray fly            ai/1000 row ft.              
that lays white, oblong eggs at             
plant bases.                                Preplant
                                             Lorsban 15G - 0.04 to 0.09 lb

                                             diazinon - 2 to 3 lb         
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cutworms and                                Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb     
Armyworms                                                                
                                            endosulfan - 1 lb
Several species.                            Do not feed treated plants.
Treat when worms are small.                 
                                            carbaryl - 1 to 2 lb  

                                            permethrin - 0.05 to 0.2 lb

                                            Bacillus thuringiensis - 1
                                            to 2 qt.  Add an appropriate 
                                            spreader-sticker to enhance   
                                            control.  Most effective on   
                                            small larvae.                 
                                                                          
                                            Lorsban 50W - 1 lb            
                  
                                            Larvin - 0.4 to 0.8 lb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diamondback moth                            endosulfan - 1 lb            
Plutella maculipennis 
                                            diazinon - 0.5 lb
Small, pale yellowish-green larvae                                       
with erect black hairs.  Eats holes         
in foliage.  Adults are small gray                                       
or grown moths with white marks on                 
forewings that form a diamond when                                       
wings are folded.                           
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flea beetles                                endosulfan - 0.75 to 1.0 lb
including                                                              
cabbage flea beetle                         carbaryl - 1 lb            
Phyllotreta cruciferae                                                 
                                            methoxychlor - 2.25 lb     
Small, shiny, steel-blue, jump-                                        
ing beetle. Eats round holes in             Di-Syston - 1 lb
leaves of wild and cultivated                                          
crucifers. Particularly serious             permethrin 0.05 to 0.2 lb     
on seedlings.                                                          
                                            Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb      
NOTE:  Carbaryl and endosulfan      
combined together have given most           Lorsban 50W - 1 lb
effective control.                                      
                                            Larvin - 0.4 to 0.8 lb

                                            Pyrellin - 1.5 to 2 pt            
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garden symphylan                            Dyfonate - 2 lb   
Scutigerella immaculata                                       
                                            diazinon - 10 lb  
Small, white, centipede-like an-                              
imals in the soil.                          Telone II - preplant  
                                   
                                            Telone C-17 - preplant 

                                            Mocap - 2 to 3 lb.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grasshoppers                                Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb            
Various species                                                     
                                            Nosema locustae - Use as     
May reach damaging levels on field          manufacturer directs         
margins during years of grasshopper         
abundance.                                  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imported cabbage worm                       Phosdrin - 0.5 lb (ICW only)
Pieris rapae                                   OR, (depending on pre-harvest
                                                    interval - see label)
                                               Phosdrin - 1 lb (ICW only)
Caterpillars are soft, velvety                
green with faint yellow stripes.            Larvin - 0.6 to 1 lb 
Adult is a white butterfly with             
black spots.                                diatect - 1 to 3 lb
                                            Monitor - 0.5 to 1 lb              

                                            Lannate - 0.45 to 0.9 lb
 
                                            Bacillus thuringiensis -     
                                              1 to 2 qt.  Add appropri-  
                                                ate spreader-sticker.    

                                            Dibrom - 1 to 2 lb           
                                                                               
                                            methoxychlor - 2 to 2.25 lb  
                                 
                                            Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb

                                            permethrin - 0.05 to 0.1 lb        

                                            Lorsban 50W - 1 lb

                                            Larvan - 0.4 to 0.8 lb

                                            Pyrellin - 1 to 2 pt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loopers, including                          Monitor - 0.5 to 1.0 lb
Cabbage looper                                                   
Trichoplusia ni                             WARNING: If methamidophos 
                                            (Monitor) is allowed to drift 
Alfalfa looper                              onto adjacent legume or vege-   
Autographa californica                      table seed crops, it is highly 
                                            hazardous to pollinating bees. 
Larvae of both species pale                 Alternate materials should be 
green with white lines on back              used under such conditions. 
and sides. Move in looping                                    
manner. Moth gray-brown with                Lannate - 0.45 to 0.9 lb 
characteristic silvery spot on                                        
forewings.                                  Bacillus thuringiensis - 1 to 2 
                                            qt.  Add a spreader-sticker to 
NOTE:                                       enhance persistence on foliage. 

The cabbage looper and alfalfa looper       Dibrom - 2 lb                  
are not serious pests every year but                                      
are more difficult to control than          methoxychlor - 2.25 lb        
other cabbage "worms".  Start insecti-                                      
cide applications when the worms are        endosulfan - 0.75 to 1.0 lb     
still small.  Inspect the plants a day                                    
or so after each treatment for success      permethrin - 0.05 to 0.2 lb    
of control.  Examine plants often in                                      
late summer and fall for new infestations.  Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb
Be sure insecticides reach both sides of                                  
leaves.  Choice of insecticide is de-       Phosdrin - 0.5 lb    
pendent in part on nearness to harvest.                        
Phosdrin gives better control of loppers    carbaryl - 2 lb            
when temperatures are below 70 F.                                        
                                            pyrellin - 1 to 2 pt         
NOTE:     
                                            Larvin - 0.6 to 1 lb
Suitable registered wetting agents should   
be added to most of the spray solutions of  diatect - 1 to 3 lb
the mentioned insecticides. The wetting    
agent will aid in spreading and sticking 
of the sprays to the waxy leaves and 
plant surfaces.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slugs                                       metaldehyde baits            
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thrips                                      methyl parathion - 0.3 to
Frankliniella sp.                                              1.5 lb
                                            
Adults about 1/25 inch in length. Yellow-
ish to black in color. An occasional problem
in fresh market cabbage.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireworms                                   diazinon - 3 to 4 lb active 
Ctenicera and                               ingredient per acre.  Broadcast
Limonius spp.                               granules or emulsifiable formu-
                                            lation evenly on the soil 
Brown, jointed larvae of click              surface and incorporate into 
beetles.                                    the top 4-8 inches of soil.

                                            Other controls and fumigants 
                                            may be available.
                                            
                                            Telone II or C-17 - preplant
___________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________

DISEASE CONTROL

     Proper rotations, field selection, sanitation, spacings, fertilizer and 
irrigation practices can reduce the risk of many diseases.  Fields can be 
tested for presence of harmful nematodes.  Using seed from reputable seed 
sources reduces risk from seed born diseases.

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST DISEASE 
CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS FOR 
CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

CABBAGE -- BLACK BLIGHT (RING SPOT) IN SEED PRODUCTION

Cause: Mycosphaerella brassicicola, a fungus that attacks cabbage, 
cauliflower, brussels sprouts and broccoli.

Symptoms: Individual spots most often are black with dense fruiting bodies in 
tight concentric rings. Under severe attack, the spots coalesce and the entire 
plant may be affected and blackened. When seed stalks are attacked, the fungus 
causes distortion similar to 2,4-D symptoms.  The infectious spore stage 
matures slowly over a period of months.

Control:

1.  Locate plant beds 1 mile or more from diseased fields.

2.  Burn straw stacks and plow under diseased refuse of cabbage, turnip, and 
rutabaga seed fields immediately after harvest and before transplanting the 
new crop.

3.  Hot water seed treatment at 122oF for 30 minutes eliminates seedborne 
inoculum.

4.  Bravo and Benlate provide control of this disease when applied for downy 
mildew and white blight, respectively.

5.  Bravo may be applied to cabbage, broccoli, and brussels sprouts. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- BACTERIAL SOFT ROT

Cause: Erwinia sp., a bacteria. Entrance to the plant tissue is usually 
through wounds caused by insects, disease organisms, or mechanical means. 
Under warm, humid conditions, uninjured tissue may become infected. The 
bacteria may be spread by insects, tools, rain, clothing, or affected plant 
tissue. 

Symptoms: Small, water-soaked areas which rapidly increase in size.  The 
tissue becomes soft and mushy, and within a few days the affected plant part 
may collapse. An offensive odor is usually present.

Control:

1.  Set out plants in rows to allow for good air drainage.

2.  Use care in cultivating to keep injuries to leaves and other parts 
ofplants to a minimum.

3.  Overhead irrigation may encourage infection.  Well water contains less 
bacteria than surface water.  

4.  Clean and spray storage walls and floors with copper sulfate solution (1 
lb/5 gal water). Bactericides such as Roccal, Chlorox, and Lysol are also 
effective.

5.  In storage, use a buffering material such as straw, paper, etc., to 
prevent injury to the heads.

6.  Keep storage house dry and the temperature below 39 F.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- BLACK LEG

Cause: Phoma lingam (Leptosphaeria maculans), a fungus which is carried on the 
seed and overwinters on plant debris and on alternate host plants.

Symptoms: Pale spots on leaves, stems, and silques (pods) which later become 
ashy gray with scattered black pycnidia on the surface. Stem lesions near the 
soil line extend below the soil surface causing a black rot of the lower stem 
and roots. As plants mature they fall sideways from lack of root anchorage. 
Many plants wilt and die.

Seed crop symptoms: This disease generally does not cause reduction in seed 
yields. Occasionally cankers are observed on stem bases and spots appear on 
overwintered leaves. Symptoms on seed pods are rare and inconspicuous. Low 
levels of seed infection coupled with weather favorable for disease spread in 
eastern seedbeds has caused extremely severe losses.

Control--Seed Production Fields

1.  Plant only stock seed assayed and found to be free of P. lingam. Treat 
infected stock seed with benomyl as Benlate at 8 oz 50 WP plus thiram as 
Arasan at 8 oz 50 WP (Washington and Oregon only) or hot water treated at 50 C 
for 25 to 30 minutes. Treated stock seed should be reassayed and found free 
from infection before planting.

2.  Seedbeds should not have crucifer crops on or near them for at least 5 
years.

3.  Inspect seedbeds for obvious foliar infections.

4.  When lifted, transplants should not be dipped into water before transplan
ting.

5.  Inspect seed fields for presence of the disease.

6.  Seed samples (10,000 seeds) from each lot should be assayed for the 
presence of P. lingam.

7.  Treat infected lots with benomyl as Benlate and thiram as Arasan (see 
above) or hot water. Seed assays are available from the Washington State 
University Seed Technology Laboratory, Pullman, Washington.

Control--Crop Fields:

Use disease-free seed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- BLACK ROT

Cause: Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris, a bacterium which overwinters in 
plant refuse and is carried internally and externally on seed.

Symptoms: When spread by water, bacteria enter water pores at the margins of 
leaves or occasionally through insect or other mechanical injuries. The tissue 
in these areas becomes yellow and the chlorosis progresses toward the center 
of the leaf. This creates a V-shaped area with the base of the V at the midrib 
of the leaf. The veins in these areas become dark brown or black, and when the 
leaf is held up to a strong light source they show up as a black net. From the 
leaf, the infection proceeds up and down the main stem causing blackening of 
the vascular tissue. The infection goes systemic at this point, and symptoms 
the same as those found from direct infection may appear anywhere on the 
plant. Unilateral stunting of some leaves occurs.

When seed is infected, the first symptoms appear on the cotyledons.  The 
cotyledons rapidly wilt and drop off usually however, the infection has 
reached the stem and proceeds upward. Development of the disease may stop in 
unfavorable weather only to begin when conditions are favorable. Optimum 
temperatures for development are 80o to 86o F. Water in the form of dew, rain, 
or sprinkler irrigation is necessary for spread.

Control:

1.  Use clean seed. Seed from west coast sources is almost always free from 
this disease.

2.  Use a 2-year rotation out of crucifers in production fields.

3.  Use a 3-year rotation on the transplant bed. This is most important since 
most infection spread occurs in the seed bed.

4.  Contaminated seed can be cleaned by hot water seed treatment of 122 F for 
30 minutes.

5.  The varieties `Defender' and `Guardian' are resistant.  Other research 
from N.Y. classifies varieties in regards to their susceptibility as follows:

                    Susceptibility to Black Rot

           Low                 Medium              High
      
          Bravo               Green Winter        Superdane
          Hinova              Superelite          Superkraut
          Zerlina             Atria               Titanic 90
          Renova              Protector           Roundup
          Stonar              Krautking           King Cole
          Little Rock         Krautpacker
                              Rodolfo
                              Bartolo
                              Polinius
                              Lennox
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CABBAGE -- CLUB ROOT

Cause: Plasmodiophora brassicae, a fungus. This fungus can survive in the soil 
for years following an infected crop.

Symptoms: Young plants wilt in hot weather, but recover partially at night. 
Older plants are stunted, and leaves may drop off. Roots develop clubs or 
swellings up to 5 or 6 inches in diameter. The largest clubs are usually just 
below the soil level, on the larger roots.

Control:

A. The cabbage variety `Badger Shipper' offers resistance to some races of the 
disease.

B. Disease-free plants and disease-free soil:

Since young plants can be infected and not show any symptoms, e.g., swelling 
of the roots, it is important that only plants grown in soil known to be free 
of the casual fungus be planted. If possible, plant only in club-root-free 
soils, but when in doubt, it is better to treat.

C. Disease-free plants and diseased soil:

If it is not possible to use disease-free soil, the following practices and 
chemicals will aid in keeping club root under control.

1.  Lime field heavily, which discourages spore germination. Even if the 
infected soil is alkaline, e.g., has a pH 8, at least 1500 lb of hydrated lime 
must be added to the soil each time cabbage is planted.  Use long rotations to 
prevent a buildup of lime in the soil. The hydrated lime should be added to 
the soil at least 6 weeks before planting.

2.  Preplanting soil treatment with PCNB (Terraclor). PCNB does not give 
complete control of club root, but it will reduce the number of clubs and 
secondary rotting of roots so that a nearly normal sized crop may be produced.

Broadcast: For transplant or direct-seeded fields, use 40 lb actual PCNB/A, 
depending on soil type.  Disc or rototill the PCNB into the top 4 inches of 
soil.

The treatment is effective for two seasons if the soil is only rototilled and 
cultivated, not plowed.

Bands: For transplant or direct-seeded fields. Although a savings in chemical 
may be made the first year by applying it in bands previous to planting and 
cultivating it into the top 4 inches of soil, the second year benefit from 
this application of chemical is lost.

3.  Use starter solutions (use at rate of 1 cup/plant at time of planting).

a. PCNB (Terraclor) .5 to .75 percent suspension (4 lb of 75 percent WP/100 
gal water). This treatment is recommended only for commercial growers.

4.  Delay planting to avoid wet soil.

Residues: Terraclor--cabbage: Tolerance 0.1 ppm (Interim).

Row application prior to transplanting (maximum 40 lb actual PCNB/A).

Broadcast prior to planting (maximum of 40 lb actual PCNB/A).

Transplant solution--.75 pt/plant of transplant solution containing 4.5 lb 
actual PCNB/100 gal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- DAMPING-OFF AND WIRESTEM

Cause: Several fungi including Rhizoctonia and Pythium sp. These fungi are 
common soil inhabitants. They are widespread and can be very destructive under 
cool, moist conditions.

Symptoms: Damping off results in killing of seedlings before or soon after 
they emerge from the soil. Beneath the soil a general rot is observed. 
Seedlings which emerge from the soil develop a lesion near where the tender 
stem is in contact with the soil surface, and the seedling collapses. In some 
cases, the seedling may continue to grow even though the lesion has girdled 
the stem. The lesion is quite sunken, and the stem resembles a wire, hence the 
name wirestem.  The girdled seedling eventually dies.

Control:

1.  Delay planting as long as possible to avoid cold, moist soils, which favor 
disease development.

2.  Avoid excessive irrigation. Irrigate in the morning.

3.  Grow transplanted seedlings in sterilized soil.

4.  Improve the texture of heavy soils.

5.  See Cabbage -- Treatment.

6.  When Pythium spp. is a problem, apply Ridomil 2E.

Broadcast: Apply 4 pt Ridomil 2E/A at planting in 20 to 50 gal water.

Banded: Apply 0.5 to 1 pt Ridomil 2E/13,000 linear ft of row in a 7-inch band.

Broadcast and incorporated: Apply 1 to 2 pt/A as a broadcast soil application 
in 20 to 50 gal of water and incorporate in the top 2 inches of soil. If 
plantings are made on bed, broadcast and incorporate before forming beds.  To 
minimize the development of fungi resistant to Ridomil, do not make foliar 
applications if Ridomil was used at planting (see Cabbage and Cauliflower -- 
Downey Mildew).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- DOWNY MILDEW

Cause: Peronospora parasitica, a fungus. Nearly all cultivated and weed plants 
of Cruciferae are affected by downy mildew. The several strains of the fungus, 
however, are specific to certain groupings of crops, e.g., the radish strain 
causes little damage to cabbage. The fungus overwinters in roots or old 
diseased plant parts. Spores of the fungus may be spread as contaminants on 
seeds. There is no proof that the fungus enters the seed. High humidity, fog, 
drizzling rains, and heavy dew are conducive to disease development and 
spread. Optimum conditions for development of the disease are night tempera
tures of 46  to 61 F for four or more successive nights, and day temperature 
approximately 75 F or lower. 

Symptoms: Seedlings: White mildew principally on underside of leaf with 
yellowing on upper side. Later the leaf may become papery and die.

Cabbage heads: Sunken black spots which may be minute or larger than 1 inch in 
diameter.

Lower leaves: May become severely infected.

Control:   The following practices are effective:
  
1.  Increase the ratio of phosphate to potash in the fertilizer to 2:1 or 3:1.

2.  Use one of the following spray alternatives:

     a.  Spray seeding beds with Bravo 6F 1.25 pt/A with water to cover or 
    Ridomil/Bravo 8lW at 1.5 to 2.0 lb/A.

     b.  Several formulations of fixed copper are available with labels for 
    this disease.  Fixed copper can cause phytotoxicity on some 
    varieties at high rates.

     c.  Spray maneb at 1.2 to 1.6 lb ai/A.  Do not apply more than 9.6 lb 
    ai/A/season.  Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.

     d.  Spray fosetyl-Al (Abette) at 1.6 to 4.0 lb ai/A.  Do not apply in 
    less than 15 gal water/A.  Do not apply more than 7 times a season 
    or within 3 days of harvest.

3.  Apply first spray as soon as seedlings appear and repeat three times per 
week until plants are set out in field. Spraying for mildew requires complete 
coverage of the plant. In general, high gallonage ground application has been 
more effective than air application.

Resistance is being incorporated into commercial varieties, but at present 
there are no resistant commercial varieties available.

Residues: Bravo--1.125 lb ai/A in water to cover. Tolerance 5 ppm. No time 
limitation. 

Ridomil/Bravo 8lW - do not apply within 7 days of harvest.

Warning:  Resistance to Ridomil has been confirmed in the Northwest.  To 
minimize further development of resistance, use as follows.  If Ridomil is 
used at planting (see Cabbage and Cauliflower -- Damping-Off), do not make 
foliar applications.  Do not use it as a curative spray once disease has 
developed.  Use only as a preventive spray and only in combination with 
another registered fungicide.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- DROP, WATERY SOFT ROT, OR WHITE ROT

Cause: Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, a fungus. This disease survives in crop 
refuse and in the soil as sclerotia (hardened fungus bodies), averaging about 
the size of a pea. This fungus attacks a wide range of crops and weeds. It 
produces microscopic spores that grow first on dead organic matter (often 
spent flower petals) and then attack the plants.

Symptoms: The disease occurs for the most part above the ground level a 
cottony, white mold. As the  cabbage leaves decay, small, dark bodies appear 
in the mold. Finally the white mass is replaced by numerous hardened sclerotia 
which gradually change in color from white to black.

On seed crops, stem attacks cause severe losses. The diseased tissues eventua
lly bleach white, giving the disease its name "white blight."  Sclerotia that 
are black on the surface and white inside, associated with this bleached 
tissue, are diagnostic.

Control: (1) Rotate using nonsusceptible crops such as grass or grains.  (2) 
Permit maximum aeration between rows. (3) On seed crops (broccoli, Brussels 
sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, collards, kale, kohlrabi, 
mustard, rutabagas, and turnips) the most effective control for this disease 
is by aerial spray application of benomyl as Benlate (Pacific Northwest only). 
Apply as a thorough-coverage spray using 2 lb in 5 to 10 gal water/A. Add a 
spreader for coverage. Make first application at first petal fall make two 
additional applications at 14-day intervals if conditions favor development of 
the disease. For seed production only, Chipco 26019 is registered in Oregon 
and Washington. Apply 2 to 4 lb/A in 20 to 100 gal of water. Use at least 10
gal/A for air applications. Apply at full bloom. Do not feed treated crop or 
graze treated area.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- LEAF SPOT

Cause: Alternaria brassicae and A. brassiciola, two fungi. These fungi survive 
from year to year on seed and cabbage leaves and roots.

Symptoms: Chlorotic yellow spots develop enlarging to circular areas coated 
with black spores. Infection ranges in size from areas barely visible to those 
more than 2 to 3 inches in diameter. On infected cabbage seed pods, violet to 
tan-colored spots develop, becoming worse in wet weather.
Control: (1) Rotate crops and use clean seed. (2) Seed not known to be clean 
may be treated in hot water at a temperature of 122 F for 25 to 30 minutes. 
Make a seed germination test following hot treatment. (3) Spray material 
listed under downy mildew will help control this disease. (4) For seed 
production only, Rovral 50 WP is registered in Washington and Oregon. Apply 2 
to 4 lb/A in 20 to 100 gal of water. Use at least 10 gal/A for air applica
tions. An appropriate spreader-sticker is recommended. Apply at full bloom, 
pod set, and prior to harvest if disease pressure is severe. Do not use 
treated crop debris or screenings for food or feed. Do not graze treated area.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- NEMATODE (Sugarbeet Cyst)

Cause:  Heterodera schachtii

Symptoms:  First field symptom indicating nematodes is the appearance of 
small, conspicuous areas where plants are stunted.  Later in the season, areas 
of nematode infestation often are marked by absence of plants and presence of 
weed patches.  In severely infested fields, areas of decline usually can be 
identified by excessive leaf wilting during hot weather.  Affected areas 
increase in size with continuous cropping of host crops.

Infected plants are much smaller than normal ones.  Frequently they have a 
dense system of secondary roots, called a hairy-root condition.  Examination 
with a hand lens usually will show numerous small, white, beadlike structures 
on roots of infected plants.  These structures are lemon-shaped and later 
become cysts containing eggs that develop into future generations of nema
todes.

Dwarfed plants that have a tendency to wilt during warm weather should be 
pulled and examined for small, white, beadlike females.  Soil intended for 
cabbage production can be examined for this pest by a simple field test:
Place a teaspoonful of soil i a glass of water, stir briefly, and allow debris 
to float to the surface.  It is then possible to see and recognize any 
brownish cysts that adhere to the sides of the glass.  Discovery of nematodes 
by this test will not predict severity of infestation but will show that the 
field has a nematode history.

Control:  

1.  Crop rotation is an effective method for reducing nematode population 
since this pest has a small host range.  In addition to sugarbeets other hosts 
are mangel-wurzel, table beet, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, 
broccoli, rape, turnip, rutabaga, and radish.  Weed hosts are dock, knotweed, 
lambsquarters, mustard, nightshade, purslane, saltbush and red root.  Any of 
these plants that survive from year to year may act as reservoirs in maintain
ing the pests and may counteract much of the value of crop rotation.

These crops may be used in a short-term rotation; beans, sweet clover, corn, 
grains, peas, potatoes, and tomatoes.  Alfalfa is suitable for a long rotation 
period.  Length of rotation period should vary with severity of nematode 
infection.  Slight infestations may require only a 2 year program whereas 
severe infestations require a 5 to 6 year interval.

2.  Do not return tare to fields.  

3.  Soil fumigation with Telone II.  For rates of application see Soil 
Fumigation Guide Chart in the Pesticide Use for Disease Control Section.

Sampling:  Cyst nematodes are sedentary endoparasites (see Nematodes--Life 
History).  Infective second-stage juveniles, adult males (rarely), and cysts 
(the dead body of the female which contains eggs) can be obtained from the 
soil samples.  However, cyst extraction requires a special extraction proce
dure, and if a cyst count is desired it should be noted on the form that 
accompanies the sample.  During the growing season it is helpful to send roots 
as well as soil to assist the diagnosis.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- OEDEMA (Edema)

Cause: Physiological

Symptoms: This nonparasitic disease may occur on any plant part but is usually 
found on the lower surface of leaves. The first symptom is a watery blister or 
gall that can be few or numerous. The more succulent tissue appears to be more 
susceptible. Blisters or galls will turn a dark brown, yellow, or rust color 
and give the appearance of a rust or bacterial infection.

The disorder is more prominent when ambient temperatures are lower than soil 
temperatures, soil moisture is high, and relative humidity is high. Low 
transpiration rates with an increase in water absorption increase cell 
pressure, erupting epidermal cells and allowing the inner cells to enlarge and 
protrude.  This protrusion of the inner cells causes the cells to die and 
discolor (yellow, brown, or rust), giving the impression that a parasitic 
organism is involved.  Any mechanical injury to epidermal cells causes a 
similar effect. The most common causes of oedema in the Pacific Northwest are 
insect feeding injury (particularly aphids), injury from windblown soil 
particles, and damage from chemical applications.

Control:

1.  Control insects, particularly aphids.

2.  When cabbages are small, control windblown soil particles by sprinkler 
irrigation during periods of high wind.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- PHYTOPHTHORA ROOT ROT

Cause: Phytophthora megasperma is a fungus that serves as resistant spores  in 
the soil and infects its hosts with swimming zoospores under wet conditions.

Symptoms: Above ground portions of the plant wilt. When the root systems are 
examined, lateral roots are absent or entirely decayed.  The top roots are 
entirely decayed or show large, dark lesions along their entire length. 
Symptomatic plants are found in wet areas of the field.

Control:

1. Plant only on well-drained soil that has a minimum of low areas where water 
can accumulate.

2. Avoid excessive irrigation.

3. Treat seedbed with Ridomil 2E as a surface broadcast of 4 pt/A in 20 to 50 
gal/A, or as a 7-inch band application of 2 pt/13,000 linear ft row in 20 to 
50 gal/A, or as broadcast incorporated to 2 inches at 4 to 8 pt/A in 20 to 50 
gal/A. If plantings are made on beds, broadcast and incorporate prior to 
bedding.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- SEED TREATMENT

Aids in controlling black rot, Alternaria leaf spot, and damping off.

Apply captan or thiram according to label directions. 

Hot water seed treatment -- 122 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Where Pythium is a problem, Anchor flowable at 1.5 fl oz/cwt seed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CABBAGE -- TIP BURN

Cause: Physiological disorder. All cabbage varieties grown in Oregon are 
susceptible to some degree to tip burn. Some difference between varieties is 
recognized. This disorder is aggravated by high fertility and high tempera
tures. Some research indicates that it may be influenced by an imbalance of 
nitrogen, potassium, and calcium.  Water stress followed by a period of 
excessive growth and low humidity is conducive to development of tip burn. 
These conditions influence calcium uptake and distribution in the cabbage 
head.  Amount and frequency of irrigation appear to influence incidence of tip 
burn.

Symptoms: A marginal necrosis of internal leaves. The symptoms can extend from 
a few, small, brown spots on the edges of the interior leaves to large areas 
of the leaf margin turning brown and eventually decaying. External symptoms 
are usually absent.

Control: Research in Wisconsin has attributed the disorder to a deficiency of 
calcium in the inner leaves research in New York has implicated imbalances of 
nitrogen and potash. Other research indicates that high temperatures following 
periods of excessive growth can cause tip burn. No effective controls are 
known. Holding nitrogen levels to the lowest level possible commensurate with 
adequate yields is helpful. Nitrogen rates should not exceed 100 lb/A. The 
form of nitrogen may be important with ammonium forms less desirable than 
nitrate forms. Do not apply excessive rates of potash or other chemicals that 
would compete with calcium uptake. Soil samples should show adequate base 
saturation and adequate levels of calcium. Use adequate irrigation to avoid 
water stress conditions which would restrict calcium movement to inner leaves. 
Harvest when the cabbage is at the optimum maturity to avoid allowing the 
cabbage to become excessively firm.

Research from Cornell University describes variety susceptibility to tip burn.

Slightly susceptible: `Superdane', `Flacon', `Hinova', `Atria', `Rudolfo', 
`Superkraut', `Krautpaker'.

More susceptible: `Titanic 90', `Roundup', `Bravo', `Krautking', `Little 
Rock'.

Quite susceptible:  `King Cole', `Quisto', `Superette'.

Very susceptible:  `Green Boy', `Rio Verde', `Condor', `Izalco'.
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

         ---------------------------------------------------
         ---------------------------------------------------        
         This  information was adapted  by the Oregon  State 
         University   Extension  Service  from  Oregon   and 
         Pacific  NW publications as well as other vegetable 
         production   guidelines  from  public  institutions 
         in  the  U.S.  and Canada.   These  guidelines  are 
         intended  as a general guide for Oregon  commercial 
         vegetable producers.  Address comments or questions 
         to  your  County  Extension  Agent  or  Dr.  N.  S. 
         Mansour,  Department of Horticulture,  Oregon State 
         University, Corvallis, OR 9733l. 
         --------------------------------------------------- 
         ---------------------------------------------------