Subject: Morning Glories

From: [email-masked] (ddlroach)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 13:55:30 GMT

I was at my local gardening store and I saw a package of flower seeds
called Giant Moonflower seeds.  They were called Ipomea.  Is this a type
of Morning Glory?  In particular, is this possibly the same as the morning
glory known as the Hawaiin Baby Woodrose?  I have been looking specifically
for the Hawaiin Baby Woodrose and do not know if these are the same or not.
The Moonflower seeds are much larger than regular morning glory seeds and
the flowers look like morning glories, except that they are very large and
white.  Please respond because I am desperately seeking the answer, and
I do not know very much about Morning Glories.  Thank You.

[email-masked]     -personal e-mails would be nice.  thanks

---

From: Marla Brunker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 20:55:29 -0500

>white.  Please respond because I am desperately seeking the answer, and
 
	They're not quite morning glories, and they're definately not
Hawaiian baby woodroses. They LOOK a lot like white morning glories,.
but they open in the evening. Also, their needs may be a bit different from
MG's - my morning glories bloom, but moonflowers, planted right next to
them, don't. (This is zone 7, on a terrace, soiless mixture). My mother,
(also zone 7, on a beach) has the same results.  Yet people who can
get them going praise them highly.

---

From: [email-masked] (j musser)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 08:44:35 -0500

-personal e-mails would be nice.  thanks

My father -in-law requested me to ask:

has anyone had experience in germinating Ipomoea tuberoso or woodrose
seeds. he says the husks are so hard he has even taken to grinding them
down on a grinding wheel before planting.

again thanks

---

From: Marla Brunker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 20:55:29 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (j musser)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 08:44:35 -0500

again thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (j musser)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 08:44:35 -0500

again thanks

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Apr 1995 00:19:08 GMT

[email-masked] (j musser) wrote:
> seeds.

Your father-in-law is right on.  Wood roses germinate readily once the 
hard seed coat has been filed through and the seed allowed to soak for
a day or so.

Don Martinson
[email-masked]