Subject: Iris planting trouble

From: [email-masked] (Chris Knapp)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 13:07:13 GMT

Last year, my wife and I dug up our small iris planting to divide the 
plants and replant them in multiple locations.  With all the literature
we read at the time, somehow we missed the point the iris rhizomes
are supposed to be planted just at the surface, rather than 3 inches
down or so.  I think we were following a guide for bearded iris bulbs
instead.  This year, about 2/3 of the plants have above-ground 
growth.  (They usually bloomed in May here in central Kentucky.)  I was
wondering, though,  should I take any action and try to dig up
the ones that don't show growth yet and replant them at the proper 
depth?  Or would that be a bad idea, since they've probably started 
growing roots, etc?

Thanks for any help...
Chris

---

From: Rodney Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Apr 1995 18:12:14 GMT

> depth?  Or would that be a bad idea, since they've probably started 

I would dig them all and replant (assuming the danger of a hard freeze
is past and unless they have already started to from a new rhizone at soil 
level). At least clear the soil away from the emerging leaf fan.  Otherwise
you run the risk of the plants rotting.  In either case I wouldn't expect 
a bloom this year. 

Rodney
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 19:42:48 GMT

>depth?  Or would that be a bad idea, since they've probably started 

Wait until this fall.  For now, just try and scrape away the dirt
around the rhizomes.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Wilson)
Date: 7 Apr 95 17:52:12 -0500

> depth?  Or would that be a bad idea, since they've probably started 
**
Different irises have different needs as far as planting depths, and
you didn't mention what kind you have.  If you are working with beardless
irises, like Siberians or Japanese, a planting depth of 2-3 inches is a
good one in most soils.  If you are working with bearded iris rhizomes,
the advice to plant them at the surface holds pretty well.  These guidelines
vary with the soil type, too.  In a soil on the clay side, bearded irises do
better with the rhizome partially exposed, while better drained soils can
cover the top and get away with it.

The danger of bearded irises being planted too deep is increased vulnerability
to bacterial soft rot and fungal diseases.  If the plant is in the sun in
well-drained soil, not covered by mulch, and without too much fertilizer around
it, it has a much better chance of tolerating the depths than one with other
things working against it.  If these things aren't working for you and
you do intervene, digging it up to plant it a few inches higher is a quite
possible operation any time, and stands a good chance of success if you keep
the soil around the roots.  You're right that now is a growth period and
you are better off doing nothing or this kind of operation than the typical
iris division where you clean off everything, which works best in dormant
periods like July.  Even if they aren't showing much growth on top, they
may well be busy underneath.

                                        --Jim