Subject: Rosemary

From: [email-masked] (JMSaenz)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 05:30:54 -0400

We haven't had any luck with this, growing either from seed or purchased
at about 
one foot height.  We have tried to follow directions(i.e. location in a
bright, sunny
area, dry soil, etc.), but the problem is, I think, that the plants keep
getting a type of fungus-the leaves get a whitish sheen to them and
eventually die.  We even tried a commercial garden antifungal spray, but
it doesn't seem to be working.  Our climate here is humid, and we have
tried to grow them indoors with some direct sunlight exposure.  Some
recommendations would really be appreciated.

Joe
Joe
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (steve defreese)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 21:14:20 GMT

>recommendations would really be appreciated.

I was told by my local garden center that herbs like a well-drained soil.
Could you be giving your plant too much water.  My rosemary has survived
several years by just getting the water from rainfall.  I don't water it
at all.

Also, my mother told me that someone told her that rosemary needs a
woman's touch and that a man could not grow it.  Of course, that is 
just superstition.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:52:41 GMT

>recommendations would really be appreciated.

Plant it in a pot, and keep it outdoors.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (steve defreese)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 21:14:20 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:52:41 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (steve defreese)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 21:14:20 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:52:41 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (JMSaenz)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 17:54:52 -0400

I am not trying to grow the rosemary-----my wife is.  I'm asking on her
behalf.  She seems to grow some herbs well, but others such as rosemary
and basil she seems to have a black thumb with.

Joe
Joe
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Apr 1995 15:09:24 GMT

(rosemary growing problems deleted) 
 
Don't water it too often.  I let mine go dry till it starts to almost   
wilt.  After a while you'll get the hang of it. 
 
I simply could not keep any rosemary alive until I stopped watering it so   
much.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Apr 1995 15:09:24 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (AIRD MELANIE DAWN)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 19:43:24 GMT

>several years by just getting the water from rainfall.  I don't water it
i bought mine in the fall when it was about a foot tall.
i put coffee grounds on top of the dirt in my pot, and cut off the dead and 
dying leaves.  this winter its been in a south window growing like crazy.  
my problem is little white bugs that lay eggs on the underside of the 
leaves (looks like water drops).  i sprayed it with a dish soap solution, 
but there's a couple back on it now... not the stuff you want in your pasta (
mmm, protein...)