Subject: Re: Mold on Peat Pots

From: [email-masked] (Gaylord Hinshaw)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 22:20:57 -0600

jeepdude ([email-masked]) wrote:
: HELP!!!  Every year when I start plants from seed, I have a problem with
: mold developing on the peat pots when I use them.  I've tried a number 
: of different ways to stop it, but so far no success.  So far I've tried
: running boiling water over the pots before using, heating them in the 
: oven, spraying w/ bleach, the list goes on. I've tried less water more
: frequently, but the pots hold water better than the germination mix.
: Mold hasn't developed on paper pots when I've used them in the same 
: environment.  Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks!
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Reginald Jack Osborne)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 20:57:41 +0000

> : environment.  Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks!
Yes, don't use peat pots!  Plastic pots are cheap enough and you can use them 
for year after year.  

The idea of peat pots as I understand it, is that when you come to plant out, 
you stick the complete pot in the ground.  It then break down in the soil.

In experiments I have conducted.  It seemed that the peat pot had some sort of 
retarding effect; the plants did not grow on as well as when using plants you 
tapped out of a plastic pot.

Cheers

Reg 

-- 
R J Osborne

---

From: [email-masked] (Reginald Jack Osborne)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 20:57:41 +0000

Cheers

Reg 

-- 
R J Osborne

---

From: [email-masked] (AllenO1363)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 09:12:25 -0500

I've had mold on mine also, but it never seems to interfere with the plant
growth so stopped worrying about it.  I you start to see die off or
disease in your seedlings then I'd take more drastic action.