Subject: Re: Indoor plants suitable for dank bathroom

From: [email-masked] (Paul Kelley)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 18:49:31 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
helen ruth etters  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I am looking for an indoor plant that will stand up to a darkish, often 
>> misty bathroom.  I've tried a few, but they seem to need more light than is 
>> available.  Ideas anyone?
>> Please reply by email 
>
>Any who answer, please
>post response for the rest of us too.  Good question.
>
My father grows orchids in his bathroom.  Although it is not dark, it 
does tend to get misty.  It is on the NW side of the house so gets 
duffused sun in the late afternoon.  The orchids are really beautiful

Good luck!

meg, not paul

-- 
Paul Kelley at [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gaylord Hinshaw)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 22:08:39 -0600

Potter, Craig ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi,

: I am looking for an indoor plant that will stand up to a darkish, often 
: misty bathroom.  I've tried a few, but they seem to need more light than is 
: available.  Ideas anyone?

: Please reply by email as I dont get this newgroup on my server (I am 
: cheating by sending this message via email)

: Thanks in advance,

: Craig Potter

: [email-masked]
: or
: [email-masked]
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Craig Mathew)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 20:33:09 PST

[email-masked] says...
>> misty bathroom.  I've tried a few, but they seem to need more light than 
is 

Hello all,
  I've had great luck with a plant I purchased on a clearance sale at a 
local Wolfe's Nursery.  It is labelled as a Raintree Plant (Radermachia).  
When I bought it the plant was 4" tall; now it's 18" tall in only a year!
  I've also had good luck with philodendron and pothos, dieffenbachia, and a 
Maranta (mine is "Rabbit's Foot").  I do have a bay window over my jacuzzi 
tub in the bathroom, and this window faces almost due west.  In the summer 
the window gets some strong light for 2-3 hours but I keep the lower-light 
loving plants about 5' away from that.  In the wintertime when it's much 
darker I move them somewhat closer.  So far they've thrived in the misty 
environment.

Hope this helps,
Joan

P.S.  I'd love to hear other good suggestions for this question since I've 
still got lots of space to fill up in that bathroom!

---

From: [email-masked] (Craig Mathew)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 20:33:09 PST

Hello all,

Hope this helps,
Joan

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Fine)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 19:01:12 GMT

Most orchids need at least indirect light to grow and bloom. It sounds
like this room would not really fit the bill.
-- 

Jonathan
([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Cathy Cook Putnam)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 20:39:55 GMT

> > misty bathroom.  I've tried a few, but they seem to need more light than is 

A pothos (sp?) is probably the best choice. It grows in very low light and loves
moisture. (I have one in my bathroom that's doing great).

---

From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:48:35 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> moisture. (I have one in my bathroom that's doing great).

How about ferns? Pothos is a good one too.

I used to keep a mushroom farm in my bathroom....

-Willow     ([email-masked])
---------------------------------------------------
I'm back!!!!! YIPEE!!!!