Subject: [Q] Rejuvenating a lilac tree

From: [email-masked] (Lianne Barre)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 16:31:22 GMT

I've recently read that it is possible to completely rejuvenate
a large shrub by cutting it right down to the ground and starting
new shoots from the bottom. This allows you to 'shrink' an 
overgrown shrub to a reasonable size. This is supposed to be 
done when the plant is dormant (i.e. now).

We have a lilac in our backyard. I think it's called a Prestonian
lilac; the flowers are different from the usual lilac and it doesn't 
send out runners. It's in a raised planter bed, and is approximately 
8 feet high. It branches out into about six main trunks right at
the base. The majority of the foliage is further down the branches,
so that the base is clear of leaves. I usually cut off any new
branches that sprout from the bottom to keep it clean.

Unfortunately, it's too big. Our backyard is very shady and 
this tree is a contributing factor. What we would really like to
do is return it to a shrub size, maybe a maximum of 4 feet high.
We would then maintain it at that size so that we can finally 
grow a lawn, and plant other things around it.

If we cut this thing down to the ground, leaving just the main 
trunks, will it recover? Are there any special precautions we
should take to ensure we don't kill it completely?

As much as I like the lilac, we've agreed that it can't stay
in this state. If we can't save it, it will be removed. I figure
it's worth a try, but would appreciate any advice.

-- 
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| Lianne Barre // Bell-Northern Research // Ottawa, ON, Canada |
|         My employer does not share my opinions.              | 
+--------------------------------------------------------------+