Subject: Re: coral honeysuckle problem

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 1995 18:45:16 GMT

[email-masked] (Wheeler Sandra C) wrote:
>
> I planted two coral honeysuckle plants in partial shade here (zone 9) last
> year.  Both started out vigorously, then began to wilt.  

Do your plants start out by putting out multiple light green and 
perhaps somewhat spindly growth, which latter appears to wilt?  If
so, I suspect the Russian honeysuckle aphid, which has become
established in the US in the past 10 or so years.  You can either
spray (Please, no flames from you organophiles) or plant resistant
varieties - contact your county horticulture/agriculture agent.

Don Martinson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:27:47 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Cara Vandy) writes:

>I thought that snapdragons and dusty miller were annuals, but they 
>have survived the last two winters here in southern NJ (even the hideous 
>ice we had last year), came back and bloomed/grew.  Parts die off, but 
>the roots and a woody section at the plant base seems to survive and 
>produce new growth.  What's going on?  And would transplanting them kill 
>them?  
>                Cara

You will find that the majority of our "annuals" are really perennials in the 
part of the world where they orginally come from.  Impatiens are perennials 
and I believe that they come from the phillipenes. ( I think).  So if you have 
a warm winter your plants may over winter and start growing again in the 
spring.  You can take cuttings from them and transplant them to your hearts 
content.

Don

*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Cara Vandy)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 17:42:24 -0400

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 1995 18:45:16 GMT

Don Martinson

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:27:47 GMT

Don

---

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Apr 1995 18:45:16 GMT

Don Martinson

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 05:27:47 GMT

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (Wheeler Sandra C)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:27:04 GMT

I planted two coral honeysuckle plants in partial shade here (zone 9) last
year.  Both started out vigorously, then began to wilt.  I decided to give
them one more season.  Same thing is happening this year.  What gives? They
are not planted near each other.  One gets more shade.  There are quite a
few leaves on the ground around them--are they causing the problem? Help!

---

From: [email-masked] (Wheeler Sandra C)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:29:15 GMT

Can anyone tell me anything about growing blue ginger? I acquired a plant
last year, but no info.  I have it in the shade--
Does it die down in the winter? When does it bloom? Should I fertilize it?
Thanks--

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Begley)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 00:50:47 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Cara Vandy) writes:

>have survived the last two winters here in southern NJ
>                Cara

Cara-
I have always seen Dusty Miller listed as an annula, but I've always grown it 
as a perennial. I'm just north of Philadelphia, so our climates are very 
similar.
Snap Dragons are considered to be a "half hardy" perennial that is generally 
grown as an annual around here. I had some that were five years old, then the 
winter of '94 finally did them in. In south Jersey you can probably plan on 
them coming back for quite a few years, but remember, they are only half 
hardy, it depends on how deep the grund freezes, and for how long.
Steven

---

From: Terry Ballantyne <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 00:42:25 GMT

I live in western Colorado and the winters are very mild. This is   
a semi-arrid region. Snaps and dusty are tender perenials and   
come back every year here.  I used to live in NH and they were   
annuals there. 
Terry  
Western Colorado

---

From: Terry Ballantyne <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 00:42:25 GMT

---

From: Terry Ballantyne <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 00:42:25 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 18:22:40 GMT

Wheeler Sandra C ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I planted two coral honeysuckle plants in partial shade here (zone 9) last
: year.  Both started out vigorously, then began to wilt.  I decided to give
: them one more season.  Same thing is happening this year.  What gives? They
: are not planted near each other.  One gets more shade.  There are quite a
: few leaves on the ground around them--are they causing the problem? Help!

When you find out the answer to this one, let me know.  Here in Houston, I
planted three under deciduous trees.  After the nursery blooms died, the 
plants got powdery mildew and only produced 1 bloom.  I then moved them
to part shade in the fall.  They sparsely bloomed and got a little mildew.
I moved them last fall to a spot of almost full sun.  One plant is blooming
pretty well.  The other two, which I didn't cut back as much, might be
putting out new green growth, but that's about it.  My other vines take
awhile to get established, so I'll leave these three where they are at
for two seasons.  Either they do well, or I find out what's wrong, or I'll
yank'em.  Are yours getting powdery mildew or what?

Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 18:36:24 GMT

Wheeler Sandra C ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Can anyone tell me anything about growing blue ginger? I acquired a plant
: last year, but no info.  I have it in the shade--
: Does it die down in the winter? When does it bloom? Should I fertilize it?
: Thanks--

I'm no ginger expert, but except for butterfly ginger, which needs morning
sun, they require filtered shade.  Under the filtered sun of an elm or pine
would be good, but too close to a live oak probably wouldn't be.

The bulb (or is it tuber) should be about 2" below the ground surface, 
planted in the fall under mulch.  It should be late to break dormancy, like
late April, and bloom most of the summer.  Not sure about how much the
blue ginger requires in the way of fertilizer, but I fertilize my butterfly
ginger (fish emulsion with a little liquid bone meal).  It didn't bloom
last year, but I think that's because it wasn't getting enough sun.  Gingers
can be picky about the spot they are in, but will thrive and multiply in
the right place.  I moved mine to get more morning sun.

The shoots turn yellow when the weather cools down (Nov.?)  Cut the shoots
down to the ground.  This year, one of my three shoots never yellowed, so
I just left it.  Several more shoots came up several weeks ago.  I guess
this was an unusually warm winter, though.  I'll try to remember to look
up blue ginger today in my Houston bulk booklet.  I think William Welch's
Perennial Gardens book (the old one, not the one coming out this month) has
a section on gingers.  His remarks for the Texas Gulf Coast should hold
for Lafayette also.

Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 18:22:40 GMT

Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 18:36:24 GMT

Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Robinson)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 01:46:49 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (bob) writes: 

>
>In <[email-masked]> Terry Ballantyne 
><[email-masked]> writes: 
>
>>
>I live in Western Pa and even after several severe winters both came 
>back, last winter was mild and the dusty miller looks fine, snapdragons 
>haven't begun to show any green as of today.
>

FWIW, Suburban Philadelphia. 'Princess White with Purple Eye' snaps have 
not managed to understand that it gets cold here. They survived even 
after the ice storms of Jan-Feb 1994 in my little rowhouse frontyard; 
this past winter, they laughed at.

joe robinson

---

From: [email-masked] (Dorothy Klein)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 03:28:29 GMT

I live in central NJ.  Dusty miller and snapdragons both overwinter
here if protected -- I think last year's snapdragons overwintered
even in the unprotected places this year.  The snaps look a bit ratty or
frostbitten on the taller parts, but that gets trimmed off.  They were
blossoming into December in our past non-winter.
	
	Mom never realized that dusty miller was supposed to be an annual,
since it comes back every year in her under-bay bed.  

	Protection = under bay windows;  against a building protected
against the wind.  YMMV.  The snapdragons get mounded in snow because
that's where walk's snow gets put.  The cotoneasters (sp?) in the
same bed do not survive this.

Later,
Dotty Klein

---

From: [email-masked] (bob)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 02:12:56 GMT

---

From: M.J. Warsinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 16:56:27 GMT

If they are tender perennials, they are tender perennials....the 
NH winters simply killed them because they are tender; they did 
not change their life cycle because they were planted there!  
Many tender perennials are grown as annuals in temperate 
climates.  Annuals grow, flower, fruit, develop seed, then die in 
one growing season....regardless of what we do to cultivate them. 
 That's their life cycle and it is genetically determined. 

-- 
MJ