Subject: Re: are wildflowers do-able in nice neighborhood?

From: Rodney Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 1995 15:33:40 GMT

Go for it!  I'd look for perennials that are showy and plant in patches
that bloom is succession.  I have the following in my meadow:

Purple cone flower (Echinacea sanguinea)
Clasping-leaved coneflower (Dracopis amplexicaulis)
Showy evening primrose (Oenothera speciosa)
Brown eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta)
Lance leafed correopsis, Tickseed, (?).

I also have Indian blanket, gaillardia (Gaillardia pulchella) but it 
not as showy and doesn't compete with grasses as well as the others.

Mexican hat (Ratibida columnaris) and Maximilian sunflower 
(Helianthis maximiliani) are also good as accents but are tall.

I'd guess that most of these would do well in Tulsa.

I'd stay away from canned mixes.

As for in a nice neighborhood? Well my neighborhood isn't what I'd 
call "nice" as in fancy or expensive, but my neighbors seem to enjoy 
my "wild" yard when it's in bloom anyway. And nothing could be uglier 
than an over grazed horse pasture.

I can follow up with a couple of seed suppliers for you, or (it won't 
help you this season) I can save seed for all of the above.  Post me 
privately if you are interested.

Rodney
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (BillsDone)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 21:09:03 -0500

>From personal experience....wildflower areas are pretty when in
bloom...but otherwise look like a giant weed patch....