Subject: Mayflower Info Wanted: Epigaea repens

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 01:54:14 GMT

I recently discovered I have several trailing arbutus, or "mayflower", 
plants, Epigaea repens, on my property.  I live in Zone 5 Massachusetts. 
One of these plants is in an area where it is subject to wayward auto
traffic; it is also not looking well and I would like to relocate 
it to a better (but similar pH) site. 

I could put it close to the one that's doing very well, or move it to
a site that has the same soil, light and flora conditions (acid, oak leaf
litter, club moss, dappled light).  All of the plants have buds on them
and will probably bloom within the next couple of weeks. (Although the one
that I want to relocate has only 1 cluster of 2 buds.)

It is my novice understanding that trailing arbutus is very very 
particular (*sensitive*) about growing conditions.  In "Growing Woodland
Plants" by Clarence & Eleanor Birdseye, they say that it is possible to 
move trailing arbutus.  They do not say "when", however.  

Have any of you ever transplanted them?  Should I wait until after
it blooms?  If so, how long after?  How much soil to take w/ them?  Any
suggestions for transplanting?  I wouldn't consider it, but I think the
one is question is on its way "out".

Another question:  Does anyone know if trailing arbutus is a "protected
plant" or on any "special consideration" list or like in Massachusetts?

Thanks for your help.  You folks are terrific.  CT  [email-masked] 

PS One more question. Anyone out there ever had success propagating these
plants?  From cuttings or collected seed?  (I Wouldn't want to try and 
devide it, but can I "layer it"?)  Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 15:26:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (CT) wrote:

> plants, Epigaea repens, on my property...  
> 
> suggestions for transplanting?  ...

Sounds like you've done your research for a new site---I have transplanted
these little lovelies before without too much difficulty.  I would
recommend transplanting them in a "sod"; taking as much of the existing
soil with the plant as possible.  I would either allow the Mayflower to
bloom and then move it or pick off the few buds the plant has when you
transplant it.   Watering the first year will be critical; you want to
water throughout the growing season so roots have a chance to get
established.  Since Epigea prefers sandy sites, most of the water will
percolate through the soil and not be available to the plant.  So I'd watch
this plant all season long and water it at least once daily at first and
then once a week during the summer and fall.  

Layering produces weakly rooted plants that I was never confident enough to
try moving; I know there are a cople of nurseries reproducing this plant by
cuttings but don't know the particulars.

Hope this move is successful for you (and the plant).

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum