Subject: Geese and Grape Koolaid

From: [email-masked] (Debra Roby)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 01:08:59 GMT

Bet that got your attention.

Last fall, OG mentioned in a really brief article that grape flavored
pre-sweetned Koolaid can deter Canada Geese.

In one of my spouse's trade magazines they printed a longer article
explaining that a chemical which is used to make saccharin and for
artificial grape flavoring (MA, but I don't remember what that stands for)
is effective in convincing Canada Geese to go elsewhere.  They cannot stand
they taste.

Anyone out there troubled with these beasties (and not in possession of a
Border Collie who chases them---Good, Woody, Good boy!!) may want to try a
spray of Grape Presweetened Koolaid for their geese.

---

From: [email-masked] (Samme Orwig)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:18:55 GMT

I read an article about a woman on Long Island who
kept geese away by first pouring grape juice
on the lawn and then switching to grape Kool-Ade.
She had researched a chemical component of
grapes that irritates geese.

I did buy some cheap, artificially flavored
packets of grape drink last summer and shook
the stuff on the lawn. Yes, geese had been
clambering up on it and yes, they seemed to
stay away after the grape stuff was there...
but who knows...?

Debra  Roby ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Bet that got your attention.

: Last fall, OG mentioned in a really brief article that grape flavored
: pre-sweetned Koolaid can deter Canada Geese.

: In one of my spouse's trade magazines they printed a longer article
: explaining that a chemical which is used to make saccharin and for
: artificial grape flavoring (MA, but I don't remember what that stands for)
: is effective in convincing Canada Geese to go elsewhere.  They cannot stand
: they taste.

: Anyone out there troubled with these beasties (and not in possession of a
: Border Collie who chases them---Good, Woody, Good boy!!) may want to try a
: spray of Grape Presweetened Koolaid for their geese.

---

From: [email-masked] (Samme Orwig)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:18:55 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (CT)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 16:38:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Samme Orwig) says:

>snip>woman on Long Island who
>kept geese away by pouring grape juice
>...then grape Kool-Ade.
>snip chemical component of grapes that irritates geese.
>
Maybe because grape juice has some of the components of wine. People love
to enjoy good wine with their stuffed goose dinners.  Geese are smart?