Subject: Dead Patch of Grass Around Manhole Cover

From: WALKEM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 15:14:19 GMT

In the middle of the sidewalk in front of my house is a manhole.  The sidewalk
cuts through the first 10' or so of my front yard, so that I have lawn on both
sides of the sidewalk (neighborhood is ca. 1950).  Within a 4' - 6' radius
around this manhole, extending to both sides of the sidewalk, no grass will
grow in my yard.  The only things that grow are wild onions, dandilions,
clover, and some other weeds.

I thought something might be seeping out of the manhole under ground, so I
called the sewer company.  They investigated and said there was no problem
(naturally).

I have carefully re-seeded and tended that area, and did get grass to grow -
for a while.  But when I stopped devoting *extra* attention to that area and
began treating it like the rest of my yard, it deteriorated again.  Now that
it's spring, most of my yard is coming up green, but that area again shows
mostly weeds.

Anyone out there have any ideas why this could be happening?  I have dark
thoughts about toxic waste, but I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.  Any
suggestions about a kind of grass or other ground cover to dress up this
unsightly area?

I live in the Dayton, OH area (SW Ohio), zone 6 - 7 (I think?)

Thanks in advance.

==================================================

All opinions expressed here have nothing whatsoever to do 
with anything espoused by AT&T!

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 12:44:42 GMT

>I live in the Dayton, OH area (SW Ohio), zone 6 - 7 (I think?)

It sounds to me what may be the problem is what is under the grass;
particularly since it (and other things) grow when you give it
attention.  How about some hardy geraniums . . . they grow well
in poor soil.

Chris Owens