Subject: ?Water Lilies in Vermont

From: Bob Bland <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 03:26:49 GMT

I have a boggy area in front of my house in which I would like to 
plant some flowering plants. This area has an apparently constant 
slow flow of water throughout the year, even in winter, if this 
mild one just passing is an indicator. There is no surface 
water, except where I have dug trenches and there it fluctuates 
by about 3" but never goes dry. The area gets full sun for the 
most part. I am thinking of water lilies in some of the 
shallow ponds (6-12") I am making and would like to share the 
experience of others in northern (zone 4a) climates. Also, are 
there other flowering bog plants or ones with interesting foliage 
that might do well here.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Mar 95 23:52:07 -0600

> there other flowering bog plants or ones with interesting foliage 

You might consider a bog garden with native species like Iris
virginica, Mimulus glabratus (yellow monkey flower), Cephalanthus
occidentalis (button bush), some of the Ranunculus species (crow-
foot; buttercup), Parnassia (grass of parnassus), etc., etc.
Many ferns and lycopodiums like "wet feet" also.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 23:59:58 -0500

I live in Northern Vt., Zone 3, and waterlilies grow wild there, invasively
so.  They don't seem to mind being frozen solid anymore than our goldfish do.
 
Carol

---

From: ettings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 23:59:58 -0500

Carol