Subject: Re: Amending soil ?

From: [email-masked] (Meliva)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 19:04:12 -0500

Thanks for the advice.  

As for the envy/jealousy thing; it is like Christmas every day.  New
things are coming up all the time and I'VE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE!  Today's
surpise is a small yellow flower with five rounded petals on a two inch
stem with a ruffle of straight leaves right below the flower but that
don't go to the ground.  Yesterday's surprise is a three inch tall
leaf-less yellow iris-like flower.  

Believe me, I'll find somewhere to plant.  I am trying to hold back until
I know what I've got and it is HARD. 

Thanks again to everyone.

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard S. Fee)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:06:40 GMT

Melvia said:
*I've moved into a wonderful densely planted perrenial garden.  The soil Ph
*is fine for most of the garden but I need to know how to amend the soil
*without digging up existing shallow roots or rotting out the plant.  Do I
*just add compost around the plants or does it have to be dug in?
 
Personally, I would just mulch with a thin layer of compost and let the 
earthworms do the mixing work. If you go out at night with a flashlight, 
you can sometimes catch them in the act. Incidentally, this is a good way to weed.
Put the mulch over everything that you don't want and then pull every weed
that comes up through the mulch. This approach should be both safe and effective.

Regards
Richard Fee

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:55:55 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Meliva) writes: 

>
>I've moved into a wonderful densely planted perrenial garden.  The soil Ph
>is fine for most of the garden but I need to know how to amend the soil
>without digging up existing shallow roots or rotting out the plant.  Do I
>just add compost around the plants or does it have to be dug in?
>
>My garden will thank you.
>

Just pile up the compost around the plants.  The rain will wash it
in, along with earthworm action.  BTW, I don't know whether to
envy you for having a "complete" garden ready-made, or pity you
for not being able to plan and plant your own.  :)

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 08:22:44 GMT

>My garden will thank you.

Just put it around the plants.  The worms will dig it in for you.
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Meliva)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 19:04:12 -0500

Thanks for the advice.

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard S. Fee)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:06:40 GMT

Melvia said:

Regards
Richard Fee

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 02:55:55 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 08:22:44 GMT