Subject: Re: Can I use shredded Newspaper for garden mulch?

From: [email-masked] (GARDEN 7)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 20:39:34 -0500

I used bags of shredded paper from work around my peas and tomatoes.  
    It worked really well. I spread out the mulch and then sprayed the
hose             on it to get it wet enough that it would not blow away.  
Peas DO NOT like         to be cultivated, and no weeds                   
                         
    could find their way through the mulch.  The paper allowed rain to get

    through, then shaded the ground over the roots so that the moisture
did
    not evaporate as quickly.  It also reflects a small amount of sunlight
up 
    to the leaves where it is needed.  I wouldn't worry about the ink in
the 
    newspaper.  People have been mulching with whole sheets of newspaper
    with no problems.  Only use the black and white paper though.  Don't
use 
     the glossy paper with the colored inks.
                                                           T. Taylor

---

From: [email-masked] (GARDEN 7)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 20:39:34 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (William Lewis)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 12:51:10 -0500

Last year, I traded a car for a brand new 10 hp chipper/shredder (Sears).
We had alot of branches to chop up, and it works pretty good. But now
most of the branches have been taken care of, and I was thinking of
using it to shred newsprint and cardboard to make mulch for the garden.
It does a great job shredding the stuff, but it it okay to use it for
this purpose?  I have heard that newsprint has stuff in it that will
kill bateria's in the soil, but will it be excessive to use it as mulch?
Will I end up with paper mache, that will do more to prevent the soil
from absorbing water, as it will hold water in the soil?
Has anyone tried this?

BL

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 16:00:48 GMT

>from absorbing water, as it will hold water in the soil?

Use it and smile!  All the newspaper that comes into this house
goes into the garden as mulch or into the compost pile to make
fertilizer.  It is particularly excellent at water retention, and
digs in wonderfully each fall.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Polar)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 02:49:43 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Glenna Feir <[email-masked]> 
writes: 

>
>  All the newspaper that comes into this house
>You can put newspaper on the compost pile!
>
>Any hints on exactly how to do this....does it have to be shredded 
>first, etc.
>
>Thanks
>
>Glenna......first time compost maker.
>> 
Better make sure it's printed with soy ink.  I wouldn't want the other 
stuff getting into my food crops.

Polar

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 14:06:00 +0600

Polar writes:

PP> Better make sure it's printed with soy ink.  I wouldn't want the
PP> other stuff getting into my food crops.

Hi Polar,

I understand your concern about petrochemical based inks. There are so 
many chemicals already in our water and food that it might seem to make 
sense to be alarmed by inks in paper as well.

But the studies I have seen, and they are numerous, show time and time 
again that the petrochemicals or supposed heavy metals in paper, 
including colored newsprint and magazines, are at background levels and 
are not being uptaken by plants, escaping into ground or surface water, 
or causing a reduction in plant growth when used properly. Applying 
newsprint as a surface mulch might cause a litter problem, but it is not 
a biohazard.

The movement toward soy inks are more related to the contamination of 
paper pulp at de-inking, paper recycling, facilities which would 
otherwise be safe to be used as a soil amendment like a paper plant that 
uses virgin pulp. Soy inks also make a market for renewable resources, 
much like alcohol in gasoline, as compared to fossil fuels. Soy inks 
are slightly less of a nuisance for people at printing facilities in 
terms of breathing hydrocarbons.

But as far as the soil goes, microbial decomposition along with air and 
sunlight are the best *treatment* for hydrocarbons available. To be even 
more secure, paper should be composted first which exposes hydrocarbons 
to even more microbial activity.

My last word on the subject is that there are some very *real* 
biohazards which are well documented, particularly arsenic, copper, and 
chromium in treated lumber, burn barrels ash and fumes, salt in 
roadways, certain pesticides, and heavy metals in household batteries. 
Ink and other supposed hazards from paper are at the bottom of the 
"environmental damage" list.  

I would hope that we put our concerns toward real environmental hazards, 
not perceptual ones. Let people use their paper as a mulch and in the 
compost without guilt.  It is safe to use.  Period.

Mr Compost~~~

Jim~ McNelly
[email-masked]

 * RM 1.3 02460 * If called by a panther, don't anther. Ogden Nash

------------------============<>=============-----------------
   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines
   Email: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
------------------============<>=============-----------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Repak)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 95 18:11:00 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(William Lewis) wrote:

>I was thinking of

I have a similar question - I have access to large quantities of coarsly
shredded paper which is mostly from office copy machines and laser printers.
Is this type of paper and ink worth using or could there be potential
problems?

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 14:06:00 +0600

Polar writes:

Hi Polar,

Mr Compost~~~

Jim~ McNelly

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Repak)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 95 18:11:00 GMT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 Mar 1995 18:58:38 GMT

> YES, you can use shredded paper and BLACK and WHITE newsprint in your 
> garden! The problems come with colored inks, whick can use heavy metals to 
> create the colors, especially in the clay-coated shiny ad sections. 
 
I call the local newspaper and asked about heavy metals in the colored   
sections.  They told me that they use soy-based colored inks which contain   
no heavy metals.  However, the black and white newsprint has lead in it.    
They had done some research into this because people kept calling them up   
and asking about it.  Their research showed that there wasn't enough lead in   
the black and white newsprint to be considered a problem but that to prevent   
any future liability problems, they recommended that it NOT be used in   
vegetable gardens. 
 
They also said that different newspaper companies use different inks.  You   
should call and ask about your newpaper and not take anybody elses word for   
it.  Go straight to the horses mouth! 
 
BTW, our newspaper said they were looking for alternative inks due to all   
the concerned gardeners/composters subscribing to their paper that were   
complaining about it.

---

From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:55:39 -0800

[email-masked] (Paul Repak) wrote:

> [email-masked] (William Lewis) wrote:
> 
> >I was thinking of
> >Will I end up with paper mache?
> 

As long as you don't also dust it with flour, you won't get paper mache.

-Willow     ([email-masked])
---------------------------------------------------
I'm back!!!!! YIPEE!!!!