Subject: Re: HELP!!! Will my Bleeding Heart survive?

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 01:32:37 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Lynn Whited) writes: 

>
>Help!!!!! My Bleeding heart started showing new growth a couple of weeks
>ago (what with all the gorgeous weather we were having:) ) Last night
>winter returned (in the teens and snow :( ) I covered the plants (also 
>chives and tarragon) but the Bleeding Heart looked pretty sad this morning.
>Will it have enough energy to start more shoots when it warms again? Or
>should I better plan on planting a new one next month?
>
>Lynn
>
>P.S.  THe CHives and Tarragon seem fine.  

You may lose some foilage, but it should be OK.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 01:32:37 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 01:32:37 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet Malowany)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:52:40 GMT

> P.S.  THe CHives and Tarragon seem fine.  

Lynn,

	I live up here in Canada (Ottawa) and we have two different types
of bleeding hearts.  We never cover them during our harsh winters and they
always come up the next spring looking great! Hope this helps!

-Janet

--
                   *-*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*-*
                   \      - Janet Malowany -       /
                   /   [email-masked]   \
                   *-*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*+-+*%$%*-*

---

From: [email-masked] (RODRIGUEZ_CHRISTINE)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 09:29:05 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>,
Lynn,

I planted a white bleeding heart this spring, about a month or more ago 
(Zone 5), I bought it before it flowered in a four inch pot and it was 
about four inches high.  But, while it sat in my kitchen, it grew several 
more inches and developed a strand of flowers so I hurried and planted it 
outside, cold, nasty weather and all and hoped for the best.  Well, the 
neighbor's cat jumped out of our crab apple tree and landed right on top 
of it, breaking off the flower stalk.  Three days later a killing frost 
came along and killed the foliage to the ground.  I wondered about it, 
but while it was still frosty (the ground was frozen several inches), I 
watered it daily around the base of the plant.  

Last week when I went out to check on it, there was new green growth 
springing from the center of the old plant and now it's about 4 inches 
high and fuller and fluffier than ever!  

Keep up hope and good luck.