Subject: Broom advice needed

From: [email-masked] (Karen Carlson)
Date: 22 MAR 95 17:39:07 GMT

I'm thinking of planting a row of broom (Cytissus) along a chainlink fence to
serve as a *not-so-obvious* privacy screen.  I like the fact that it is
evergreen, isn't so thick as to form a solid wall, and reaches the height I
desire.  I'm in the southern range of zone 6 (south-central PA) and meet the
necessary growing requirements, but I'm not sure how far from the fence they
should be planted to allow for maximum growth.  Does anyone have any
recommendations?  E-mail responses appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Karen

Karen Carlson
[email-masked]                             Think Spring!!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:04:14 GMT

>[email-masked]                             Think Spring!!!!

Before you do this . . . are you or anyone in your family allergic
to broom?  It is one of the most common allergen "villans"
there is.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bailey)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:49:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Christine Owens) writes:
|> In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Karen Carlson) writes: 
|> 
|> >
|> >I'm thinking of planting a row of broom (Cytissus) along a chainlink fence to
|> >serve as a *not-so-obvious* privacy screen.  I like the fact that it is
|> >evergreen, isn't so thick as to form a solid wall, and reaches the height I
|> >desire.  I'm in the southern range of zone 6 (south-central PA) and meet the
|> >necessary growing requirements, but I'm not sure how far from the fence they
|> >should be planted to allow for maximum growth.  Does anyone have any
|> >recommendations?  E-mail responses appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
|> >
|> >Karen
|> >
|> >
|> >Karen Carlson
|> >[email-masked]                             Think Spring!!!!
|> >
|> >
|> >
|> 
|> Before you do this . . . are you or anyone in your family allergic
|> to broom?  It is one of the most common allergen "villans"
|> there is.
|> 
|> Chris Owens

Also, in some parts of the country Broom is becoming a real pest, highly
invasive and pushing out natural vegetation. I beleive most of these
problems are confined to the Pacific Nothwest, but other places may have
similar problems.

-- 
Brian Bailey
Oregon City. Zone 7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts are sometimes my own. Other times someone says they own them,
			    and I have no rights.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 06:04:14 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bailey)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:49:42 GMT