Subject: Tuberous begonias from seed

From: [email-masked] (Eileen Kupstas)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 13:36:40 -0500

Mainly for fun, I'm trying to start tuberous begonias from seed.
These are begonia tuberosa "Show Angels" from Thompson and Morgan, if
this matters. The seeds are microscopic, and the package warns 
against handling them by hand. They suggest a pen knife to actually
sow the seeds. 

The instructions said to sow on surface of moist starting mix, cover
with plastic film, and expose to subdued light. Germination expected
in 2 to 3 weeks.

Its been three weeks and nothing is happening. I use the APS
propagation system -- little enclosed environment with a clear top
and water resevoir. This usually gives faster germination than the
listed times.

Any begonia growers who can give me a hint about what to try? More
light, less light (what _does_ "subdued light" mean?)

Thanks!

Eileen
-- 
Eileen Kupstas			    	  [email-masked]
Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill    Dept. of Computer Science
Sometimes I despair of ever meeting my own standards. -- de Vries