Subject: Re: Peach Tree Leaves curled and red

From: Libby Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 18:06:28 -0800 (PST)

Curiously enough the disease you describe is called peach leaf
curl. Remove the disfigured leaves and treat the tree with
strptomycin. (I got mine at Agway without a prescription.)

Libby

---

From: [email-masked] (Susan Wehe)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 00:36:08 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Watson) 
writes: 

>
>I have recently bought a house that has a peach tree in the front. 
Leaves
>and buds are beginning to form. Many of the Leaves are curled and have
>swollen RED deformaties. I can find no sign of insects. What is this? 
how
>do I treat it? 

Bacterial infection is often found on new growth in the spring causing 
curled leaves.  Per my gardening guides the leaves are often mishapened, 
puffed and folded like accordions.  It says to control this by spraying 
copper spray in the fall.  One reference calls it peach tree leaf curl 
and the other calls it bacterial spot.  Sorry, neither mentions what to 
do about it this time of season. 
Hope it helps....Good Luck                           Susan

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Moore)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 08:06:39 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Susan

> Hope it helps....Good Luck                           Susan 

Peach leaf curl can be controled by spraying with sulphur before the buds
break in the spring. It stinks, but is not particulatly toxic. You may
wish to consult ³Backyard Fruits and Berries² by Bilderback & Patent or
³The Orchard Almanac² by Page & Smillie.
             
-- 
Cheers...Steven 
€ € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € € 
   Steven Moore - Freelance Writer
          [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:20:05 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Mike Watson" writes:

> I have recently bought a house that has a peach tree in the front. Leaves
> swollen RED deformaties. I can find no sign of insects. What is this? how
> do I treat it? 

Peach leaf curl - take off affected leaves and burn or get rid and try 
treating with a copper fungicide (spray next year *before* symptoms appear).
There is no permanent cure, but copper fungicides (like Cheshunt compound)
seem to control it well enough that fruiting is not affected.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:20:05 +0000

Hope this helps.
Regards,