Subject: Newspaper slurry germination idea

From: [email-masked] (Michael Lacy)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 19:21:03 -0700

Some weeks ago, I saw something on television about a new method
of seeding new grass.  It involved mixing the grass seed into
a slurry of ground-up newspaper and water, which was then sprayed
onto the prepared ground.  They reported great germination rates,
and much quicker initial growth.

I got the idea of using a home-brewed variant of this for 
helping germination of vegetable seeds.  (Here in high-plains
Colorado, getting seeds to germinate in the garden can be
a difficult proposition, requiring twice daily watering---at
least that's what my carrots demanded last year.)  So,
I had the idea of putting some torn-up newspaper and water
in the blender, blending it into a nice soup, and then mixing
in some seeds.  I would then pour this mix into the furrow.
Aside from the question of the healthfulness of newpaper (I could
always use some kind of paper without ink), what does anyone
think?  Any modifications or suggestions? Anyone who has tried
something similar?  I'm planning to try it for at least a
few feet of a row of lettuce or something on an experimental
basis, but might get more elaborate, with appropriate encouragement.

Thanks in advance.
-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Mike Lacy, Sociology Dept.   voice (303) 491-6721 
Colo. State Univ.            
Fort Collins CO 80523        fax   (303) 491-2191

---

From: Bryce Grevemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 14:02:26 GMT

> and much quicker initial growth.
....

I tried that trick with grass a couple three years ago.  I worked
OK, but somehow I expected more from it than I got.  Maybe I didn't
use enough seed.  At anyrate, the time I spent making the paper
machie, -- tearing the paper into strips in a large plastic bucket, 
and over a several day period, working the pulp with my hands to 
get it broken up and rinsing the ink out.  --  Made it an experiment
that I did not repeat.  Too much work for too little area covered.

		Bryce

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Apr 95 22:38:31 -0600

> and much quicker initial growth.

This sounds like much of the "hydroseeding" that is done on 
highway slopes each year.  Typically uses a slurry of seed,
water, chopped straw, and sometimes a "sticker" like starch.

We had a Chinese delegation visit the ISU Seed Lab years ago;
they were interested in how to make grass seed with long
awns easy to plant, especially on slopes.  They liked the
pelletized seeds, but *loved* the hydroseeder they DOT
had!
> basis, but might get more elaborate, with appropriate encouragement.

You might want to consider a variant of the "fluid sowing technique"
that I think the John Innes Institute developed a few years ago.
You need some modified food starch or the powder to make polyacrylamide
soil beads, and a squirt bottle with an applicator top... sorta like
those 1950 ketchup bottles in restaurants.  Mix a small amount of
the polyacrylamide or starch with water to form a thin liquid.  Pour
it in a saucer or soup plate, and add your seeds.  Cover with
plastic wrap, and let the seeds begin to germinate.  When you see
the radicle (the baby root) just beginning to emerge from about
half the seed, pour the sloppy mess into the squirt bottle.  Add
more water if needed... you want something about the consistency
of tomato sauce, not tomato paste.  Make sure the hole in the spout
is big enough for the seeds to get out easily.

Make your furrow out in the garden, and squirt the seeds + goo
out of the bottle along the row (ok, practice on a cookie sheet
first, then reload your squirt bottle and go outside).  Cover the
seed lightly with soil and mulch.  Water.

A couple of other tricks you probably know about already (you are
digging as much organic matter into the soil as possible already,
right?)  Instead of making the conventional hills and furrows 
between rows, and planting in the hills, try planting in the
valleys.   And/or:  Plant in circular patches around water
reservoirs.  To make a reservoir, take a big clay pot (grungy
is fine) with a single drainage hole.  Plug the drainage hole
with a cork, and sink it in the soil all the way.  Rim should 
be flush with the soil.  Fill the pot with water, and it will
seep through the porous clay sides of the pot, gradually watering
the area around it.

And of course, mulch, mulch, MULCH!

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: Bryce Grevemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 14:02:26 GMT

....

		Bryce

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Apr 95 22:38:31 -0600

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Apr 95 22:38:31 -0600