Subject: Re: Help w/pumpkins!!!

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:48:05 GMT

Organic gardening had an issue about growing large fruits.  

The basics are 

1-  get seed from an existing large plant, in other words regular
pumpkins will not grow huge pumpkins, most of the champions keep
their seeds from the older pumpkins to grow next year.

2 - plant multiple plants pick the biggest and healthiest of those.

3 - self pollinate and allow three plant to grow of those three
pick the best and cut off the others.

4 - after picking the best one cut the vine so as to discourage
growing, there is no reason to allow the vine to continue to
grow,  the milk thing is an old wives tale but if it makes you feel
better go ahead.

5 - avoid high nitrogen fertilizers and use less fertlizer and more
compost/manure for your plant. You want the plant to get a big
fruit and and compost/manure seem to be the best in providing the
neccessary nutrients to the plants.

6- make sure it gets enough water.

hope this helps!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:48:05 GMT

The basics are 

hope this helps!!