Subject: Any Aussie Gardens?

From: [email-masked] (Mike Tyler)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 21:05:12 +1000

I've been following all these discussions about U.S. gardens, and have
no "foreign" contributions except once Kiwi (New Zealander).

While it is all very interesting, and there are some tips that are
good for over here as well, I can't help wondering whether there are
not some other Australians interested in internet gardening.

Any other Aussie gardeners, I'd love to hear from you.  Or U.S.
gardeners interested in Australian gardening.

Mike Tyler

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 14:36:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mike

> gardeners interested in Australian gardening.

Mike-

I have a friend who is very much interested in finding out if there are
gardening internships or exchanges available at the Sydney Botanical
Garden.  He is a professional horticulturist working here at the Scott
Arboretum.  Have you heard about anything like this?  Any info would be
much appreciated.

And yes, I am very interested in Australian gardening.  While we can't grow
many of your plants in the garden, some of them make lovely container
plants and I'd be interested in any of your suggestions as to what we might
try.

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum
(near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)

---

From: [email-masked] (Joan Rowe)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 19:22:36 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Tyler) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Mike Tyler)
>Subject: Any Aussie Gardens?
>Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 21:05:12 +1000

>gardeners interested in Australian gardening.

Hi Mike,

I'm an Aussie gardener who's been living in the US for 20+ years now.  It was 
always my plan to have a native plant garden when I was in Australia, but I 
left too soon.  Much as I'd love to be growing Australian natives here, I 
can't even grow snowgums because they're too tender.  I have to content myself 
with giving lots of Aussie natives to a friend in the Bay Area where some of 
them will survive.  It's just so much colder here in most parts of the 
country (in the winter).  

I do know that US gardeners would be amazed if they could see Aussie natives 
in their native habitat.  They are like nothing that's known here and quite 
fantastic.

Joan

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Coates Fryer)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 12:14:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...

>plants and I'd be interested in any of your suggestions as to what we 
might
I don't grow many natives, but I do find that the Australian Native 
Violet, Viola hederacia is very pretty and grows like a weed in my 
garden.  A climber, Hardenbergia  comptoniana (happy wanderer) is also 
very hardy.

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Coates Fryer)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 12:03:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>gardeners interested in Australian gardening.
Yes yes yes! Aussie gardening seems so different to USA gardening
We're more worried about how to keep plants alive though drought and heat
waves than snow!

I live in Melbourne where we have just had a very hot summer.  I am 
trying to grow herbs and flowers in my new garden.  Mail from any other
Aussie gardeners would be appreciated.  From what I read, Melbourne
conditions are like those in California, (Zone 9?).  Any ideas?

Karen

---

From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 13:00:21 PDT

> From: [email-masked] (Karen Coates Fryer)
> Newsgroups: rec.gardens
> Subject: Re: Any Aussie Gardens?
> Date: 4 Apr 1995 12:03:28 GMT

Mike & Karen - 

Locally, we may be very close to creating a discussion group for gardeners
in Mediterranean climates throughout the world.  I understand your
frustration when the topic runs to 'overwintering' - our growing season has
been underway since the rains started in the fall and we've already passed
much of the peak blooming of many bulbs, trees, and perennials!  Our climate
provides an entirely different set of challenges and rewards, and it would
be nice to discuss this with others in our situation.

Tomorrow night, here in the S.F. Bay Area, the California Horticultural
Society will be sponsoring a meeting about gardening on the INTERNET, and
I expect we'll find out all sorts of useful info from each other.  Meanwhile
we're avaiting word about the creation of a LISTSERV on a local university
mainframe computer - let me know if you are interested and I'll put you (and
anyone else) onto the initial list of subscribers.
 
 H O R T U L U S   A P T U S  ('gardens', 'suited to their purpose')
 Sean A. O'Hara
 710 Jean Street, Oakland, CA  94610-1459        [email-masked]
 (510) 987-0577

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 17:52:59 GMT

Joan Rowe ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Tyler) writes:
: >From: [email-masked] (Mike Tyler)
: >Subject: Any Aussie Gardens?
: >Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 21:05:12 +1000

: >Any other Aussie gardeners, I'd love to hear from you.  Or U.S.
: >gardeners interested in Australian gardening.

: Hi Mike,

: I'm an Aussie gardener who's been living in the US for 20+ years now.  It was 
: always my plan to have a native plant garden when I was in Australia, but I 
: left too soon.  Much as I'd love to be growing Australian natives here, I 
: can't even grow snowgums because they're too tender.  I have to content myself 
: with giving lots of Aussie natives to a friend in the Bay Area where some of 
: them will survive.  It's just so much colder here in most parts of the 
: country (in the winter).  

: I do know that US gardeners would be amazed if they could see Aussie natives 
: in their native habitat.  They are like nothing that's known here and quite 
: fantastic.

I remember seeing an Australian plant habitat at the Botanical Gardens in
San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.  Very weird stuff.  Too strange for my
tastes, in general, but certainly very interesting.  I do see bottlebrushes
here in Houston that I like, but I think either we are too humid for most
Australian (SE Australia, anyway) plants or most have not been introduced.
Of course, do we want to introduce anything that might become a pest?

: Joan

Well, Joan, I know how you feel about these plants you miss.  Can you
go back for a visit once in awhile?  I think if you give U.S. plant
natives a try, you'll begin to appreciate them for what they are--plants
that are growing well because they are adapted to this area(s).
Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Coates Fryer)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 12:14:52 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Coates Fryer)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 12:03:28 GMT

Karen

---

From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 13:00:21 PDT

Mike & Karen -

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 17:52:59 GMT

: Hi Mike,

: Joan

---

From: [email-masked] (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 07:49:16 GMT

[email-masked] (Liz Runciman) writes:

>[email-masked] (Mike Tyler) wrote:

>It is an interesting group, but I'm getting to the point where I 
>think we should start an aus.gardens newsgroup.  Or at
>least a southern hemisphere one.

>Liz

I agree.  Rec.gardens is so big I get round to looking at it only once a 
month or so.  And 90--95% of it is irrelevent to my interests (though much 
of the rest is great!).  Aus.gardens would be small enough to glance 
through every couple of days, and only 50--60% of it would probably be 
irrelevent (to me).

Of course, what I'd really like would be aus.growing-native-plants.  But 
this might be too small (unless it entices in the bush regeneration people 
as well as the gardeners -- some of them seem to be quite active on the 
net.)

I do like the "southern hemisphere" idea (rec.gardens.gondwana) -- NZ, 
Chile, Argentina and S Africa as well as Oz -- we have lots in common, 
plant-wise.  I'd get to practise reading spanish and afrikaans too (might 
even have to learn kwaZulu and Auricarian?)  Might be harder to get this 
one going though.

I'm not so sure about about the relevance of *.gardens.mediterranian to us 
here though.  Most Australian gardens aren't in a real mediterranian 
climate -- only Perth and Adelaide; and Melbourne/Launceston/Canberra more 
or less I suppose.

John

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Coates Fryer)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 12:03:28 GMT

Karen

---

From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 95 13:00:21 PDT

Mike & Karen -

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 17:52:59 GMT

: Hi Mike,

: Joan

---

From: [email-masked] (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 07:49:16 GMT

John

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul and Sarah Fitchett)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 20:42:00 +0300

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(John Atkinson) wrote:

> 
> ...  Rec.gardens is so big I get round to looking at it only once a 
[munch]

> even have to learn kwaZulu and Auricarian?)  Might be harder to get this 
[munch]
> John

I have been thinking for a while that an Australian or (even better) a
Southern hemisphere group for gardeners would be a good idea.  I too find
it frustrating that much of the material posted is not relevant to me.  

Many of the Southern hemisphere countries have similar climates and I know
(as an ex-pat NZer) that NZers wouldn't want to be missed out of any group
that is going - they have problems with possums too!

If anyone gets a Southern Hemisphere gardening group going - you can count
on my vote for sure but I think a solely Australian group would exclude a
lot of interested people from other countries like NZ, South Africa etc
etc.

Sarah

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Coates Fryer)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 04:06:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
>
>On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, John Atkinson wrote:
>> plant-wise.

>The second would be whether we would ever get enough 
>yes votes to make it happen.
>

Count me in! What about rec.gardens.downunder ? I would like to see as
large a group as possible so think it is important to include all 
southern hemisherites.  Unfortunately I am a newcomer to the net and 
cannot help in setting up a group.

---

From: Dave Rindos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 20:03:16 +0800 (WST)

> Chile, Argentina and S Africa as well as Oz -- we have lots in common, 

I, too, think that this is THE way to go . . . [even like the name!]

Are there any net-gurus out there who can advise on which way to go?  The
first question that comes to mind is the hierarchy problem -- I would tend
to the rec.gard* hierarchy because (I assume) other hierarchies might not
reach outside of here as often (and there are N. hemisphere people in 
similar climates).  The second would be whether we would ever get enough 
yes votes to make it happen.

> climate -- only Perth and Adelaide; and Melbourne/Launceston/Canberra more 

Well, one could always subscribe to BOTH (assuming you have the sense to 
live in a dry summer climate  :{>  )

Dave
--
	Dave Rindos		  [email-masked]
    20 Herdsmans Parade    Wembley   WA    6014    AUSTRALIA
    Ph:+61 9 387 6281 (GMT+8)  FAX:+61 9 387 1415 (USEST+13)

  Rabbits exist, hence we may speak meaningfully to the evolution of 
     the rabbit.  Some people attempt to study the evolution of 
      human intelligence. We may well have a real problem here.

---

From: [email-masked] (Liz Runciman)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 00:10:56 +1100

Liz

Liz Runciman               Adelaide
[email-masked]        South Australia

---

From: [email-masked] (Liz Runciman)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 00:10:56 +1100

Liz

Liz Runciman               Adelaide

---

From: [email-masked] (Liz Runciman)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 00:10:56 +1100

Liz

Liz Runciman               Adelaide

---

From: [email-masked] (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 01:05:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Chad James Segura) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Chad James Segura)
>Date: 6 Apr 1995 17:52:59 GMT

>: I'm an Aussie gardener who's been living in the US for 20+ years now.  It 
>:was always my plan to have a native plant garden when I was in 
>:Australia, but I left too soon.  Much as I'd love to be growing 
>:Australian natives here, I can't even grow snowgums because they're too 
>:tender.  

I'm surprised at this.  Their natural habitat seems rather more rigorous 
than most East Coast american cities -- more snow, much higher winds; though 
admittedly the temperature rarely goes much below 0 fahrenheit.  Three or 
four months under several meters of snow doesn't seem to faze them.

One possibility.  There are 2 subspecies of E. pauciflora ("snowgums"), 
which grow at different altitudes.  Maybe you had the low altitude one.  I 
suspect that's the one our local nurseries stock (for the obvious reason 
that they don't expect people to try to grow them in US).

John

---

From: [email-masked] (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 01:15:44 GMT

>Count me in! What about rec.gardens.downunder ? I would like to see as
                                     ^^^^^^^^^
>southern hemisherites. 

But we're not down under.  We're on top.  They're the ones that're 
underneath.

More seriously, my understanding is that the yanks use "downunder" to refer 
to Australia and New Zealand, but never to southern Africa or southern South 
America.  So that name wouldn't attract the people we particularly want.

John

---

From: [email-masked] [Maura O'Neill]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 06:15:25 GMT

Can you please put me on the 'list'?
Maura in zone 9 (10?-never quite sure which microclimate i'm in!) in Boulder 
Creek, CA (just north of santa cruz)
[email-masked]
 thanks! it's a good idea, although i wouldn't want to split up rec.gardens, 
because many questions/answers are 'zone-free' (hey, is this a new term?)

---

From: [email-masked] (CZLAW)
Date: 13 Apr 1995 11:54:10 -0400

I garden east of San Diego in Calif., USA.  Our conditions here appear to
be very similar to many in Australia--hothot dry summers with torrential
rains for a brief period in the summer.  Originally, I'm from NY so when
we bought our property here, I tried growing all those moisture loving
plants I'd grown up with----yeah, right!  Now, my garden relies heavily on
plants and trees native to australia and mediterranean climates.  So, I
and many other gardeners hereabouts would benefit from a related group.
Could we call it "Gardening in dry southern climates?"  Carolyn
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mbwa Baka)
Date: 12 Apr 1995 16:50:18 -0400

I would be glad to subscribe to a newsgroup that emphasized Austrailia,
New Zealand and other southern hemisphere countries.  here in Houston we
don't have the same climate exactly, but some eucalyptus and bottlebrushes
do grow here.  Count me in!  Amy

---

From: Adam Van Wirdum <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1995 08:07:25 GMT

>  710 Jean Street, Oakland, CA  94610-1459        [email-masked]

A discussion group  for gardeners in Mediterranean climates throughout the world.
Sounds great. Count me in.
I am a "newbie" to the internet. I live half way between Sydney and Newcastle 
 a mile or so from the sea. climate is med/sub-tropical?
I run a nursery specialising in fragrant and useful plants.
If you would like a copy of our newsletter, let me know your snail mail address.
I havent worked out how to send it via internet yet.
Michael Bailes
The Fragrant Garden
Erina Australia

---

From: Adam Van Wirdum <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1995 08:07:25 GMT

---

From: Adam Van Wirdum <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Apr 1995 07:50:18 GMT

> Could we call it "Gardening in dry southern climates?"  Carolyn

Sounds good to me. 
Michael Bailes
The Fragrant Garden
Australia