Subject: WHAT IS THIS PEST ON THE TREES??

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:51:16 GMT

I'm in Zone 6 (Central NJ) and for the past few years many of the trees in 
the back yard (which borders on woods) had this pest that would grow on the
leaves in late spring/early summer.  They are round blobs, about 1/4 to 
1/2 inch diameter, colors range from yellow to orange to red, and they 
are shiny. 

I was planning to spray the trees with some horticultural oil in hopes 
of killing  these pests before they emerge.  Someone posted here recently
saying that this spray should be used 10 days before the eggs hatch...
Now I'm confused... I don't know what these pests really are and I 
would like to NOT have to look at these gross little critters all summer.
When should I spray?  Is horticultural oil the right thing to use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Susan

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 18:51:47 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
RSherry271 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>How about waiting until they do hatch, assuming they are eggs, to properly
>identify the pest. It's likely that the tree can live with the pest anyway
>and the eggs may actually be a beneficial ladybug who feeds on the aphids
>that may be attacking the plant later in the summer. By the way, what kind
>of tree are you talking about?
>
>Rosie in RI Zone 6
>Rosanne Sherry

I'm not sure that they actually hatch.  They just multiply all over the leaves
and branches of the trees.  There are a few trees that are affected. I know one
is a oak and another may be a walnut (it drops walnut-like nuts).  

Susan

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Tom Brown)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 09:31:45 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] "

> is a oak and another may be a walnut (it drops walnut-like nuts).  

Aha! A clue. I think you may find they are due to gall wasps. If you take a
leaf and cut into the red/yellow gall you should find a small grub inside.
The proximity to woodland and being on oak trees suggests they are some
form of oak gall wasp (can also appear on rose trees and others). AFAIK
they don't actually harm the tree enough to be worth spraying to control.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
-- 
Martin Brown  <[email-masked]>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/