Subject: Least liked plant

From: [email-masked] (JOJO4FUR)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 17:41:00 -0500

My least liked plant has been miscanthus  sinesis gracemillus or that is
what I think the spelling goes like... This is a lovely, tall ornamental
grass with a height of about five feet and that spread when I finally got
reid of my ten plants of about 6 feet each. Every late winter they need to
be cut down and a chain saw is needed to get that done as they grow wider.
The slender stalks cut your skin as you gather the pieces. The year I
tried to let them go natural and neglected to cut them the wind carried
the dry pieces across the neighbors yard. Unlike leaves, everyone knows
which homeowner is so irresponsible.
 
The worst part was digging them up. The roots were so tight they held the
earth underneath and it was too much for me. too much for the men I hired
too. Finally the men used chains wrapped around the grasses and pulled
them out with their truck.

And they looked so delicate and graceful.

---

From: [email-masked] (Alice Ramirez)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 14:15:54 -0800

bermuda grass   bermuda grass   BERMUDA GRASS!

it should disappear from the face of the earth.

There is also a pale green rampant vine that I have not identified
(but should) growing in my area.  Very rampant and horrid, with pale
green simple leaves and ugly little white flowers that turn into 4"
long, 2-1/2" across pods that are jampacked with fluff attached to
seeds that go everywhere once the pods split and create new problems.
If you break one off, you get a white latex-looking sap all over you.
It stinks like hell and is a nasty skin irritant.  It can eat a tree.

Passiflora caerulea in the wrong climate (mine) is also pretty
loathsome, although not as bad as the one I described in the paragraph
directly above.  If it is happy, and the gardener is occupied
elsewhere (such as, say, college math classes that eat up ever speck
of time not spent on the dayjob while providing absolutely no joy or 
pleasure)  it takes over everything, climbs and chokes out
full grown trees.  At least it does in my climate.  The flowers are
pretty though, and the fruit is edible, although not fantastically
good.
It'd be a pretty nice addition to a greenhouse, or anyplace where it
doens't naturalize with such gleeful abandon.

---

From: [email-masked] (Alice Ramirez)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 14:15:54 -0800

---

From: Bob Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 19:05:24 GMT

Creeping Charlie!! 
 
My wife planted one plant many years ago and it has now taken 
over my entire lawn and is attacking my vegetable garden.  It has   
spread to the neighbor's lawns as well and I hope they don't know 
where it came from. 
 
I also have some extremely vigorous and hard-to-kill daylilies 
that seem to want to rule the earth.   

Any advice on killing either of the above would be most welcome. 
 
Bob