Subject: Re: Forcing cut daffodils to flower

From: [email-masked] (Virginia Boehm)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 23:29:21 GMT

In <1995Mar30.133328@hiramb> [email-masked] (Frances Whited, 
216/569-5291) writes: 

>
>I was really hoping to be able to take a big bouquet of daffodils to my
>mother-in-law next week as a housewarming gift, but the daffodils 
aren't
>cooperating! Can I cut ones that are showing some color but not open 
yet
>and force them indoors?
>Frances

It depends.  A few days before they bloom, the bud on a daffodil tips 
downward and swells.  Once this happens, it will open in a day if you 
bring it indoors.  But if the bud is still upright, even if color is 
showing, the flower will not be full sized.
    Gini

---

From: [email-masked] (Frances Whited, 216/569-5291)
Date: 30 Mar 95 13:33:28 -0400

I was really hoping to be able to take a big bouquet of daffodils to my
mother-in-law next week as a housewarming gift, but the daffodils aren't
cooperating! Can I cut ones that are showing some color but not open yet
and force them indoors?

Frances

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 04:51:42 GMT

>Frances

If you cut them and bring them inside your house they should be open in about 
two days.  The warm weather brings them to flower quickly.  Once they are open 
you can keep them longer if they are kept cold at night.  You might leave them 
outside at night time, it won't hurt them.

don

*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 04:51:42 GMT

don