Subject: Re: Rooting cuttings...

From: Karen Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 18:11:21 -0800

Margaret, I have never done this myself but I learned about willow 
rooting substance in a plant propagation class I just finished.  It does 
work for some plants, but I don't think you want to stick the twigs in as 
they will root.  The directions given in Michael Dirr's Reference Manual 
of Woody Plant Propagation says: take current year stems, remove leaves, 
cut into small pieces, pack into small container cover with water.  Steep 
for 24 hours then drain off and reserve liquid.  To treat cuttings, place 
upright in extract for 24 hours, then stick.  You can save willow water 
in your refrigerator for some time (it says here).  If you try this and 
it works, let us know.
Karen

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Margaret Redding wrote:

> I remember once reading that if you stick some twigs of the willow tree
> in with your cuttings the cuttings will root quickly because the willow
> exudes a strong hormone that induces rooting.
> 
> Has anyone heard this old wive's tale, and knows whether it works?
> 
> MR
> --
> Margaret Redding  [email-masked]
> Ottawa, Ontario
> CANADA
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 18:29:26 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> Has anyone heard this old wive's tale, and knows whether it works?

Old Wives are often very smart. YES, "willow water" does in fact work like
a charm. Aspirin will work, too. The willow works better if you chop or
grind it up first, though.

-Willow     ([email-masked])
---------------------------------------------------
I'm back!!!!! YIPEE!!!!