Subject: Should I buy worms?

From: Mary Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 00:06:08 GMT

Well, should I buy worms? I've seen some in my soil, but for what they do
it seems that more would help out. DO I naturally have as many worms as
my organic matter can carry, or would buying more help?

Mary Spencer
Eye on Government

(919) 596-0152 Voice
(919) 596-0081 Fax
[email-masked]
AOL: MarySpence

---

From: [email-masked] (Peggy Seremjian)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 04:31:16 GMT

Mary Spencer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Well, should I buy worms? I've seen some in my soil, but for what they do
: it seems that more would help out. DO I naturally have as many worms as
: my organic matter can carry, or would buying more help?

The soil I had experience with was a heavy clay soil with almost no 
earthworms. I amended it with *lots* of organic matter (8-10" tilled in 
in the fall, plus organic mulch all season) and the earthworms came in 
droves. I have no idea how they know its there, but there were 50-100 
every spadeful compared to almost none where I had made no efforts toward 
soil improvement.

If Jim McNelly reads this, perhaps he'll add more, particularly on the
number of worms your soil can support. I got my wormbox after reading his
posts on vermicomposting on Prodigy a few years back. He knows his worms, 
thats for sure! :)

Peg