Subject: HELP! Mold on peat trays!

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Dumych)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:07:19 GMT

I know that something was written about this lately, but I've forgotten
the suggestion given...  Last week, I started some seedlings in starter
mix.  As per the instructions on the bag (Hoffman's), I put the peat trays
into a clear plastic bag after misting them, and then put this
mini-environment on top of the refrigerator for warmth.  Well, the seeds are
germinating very well, but there is also a wispy whitish mold growing on
the top rims and sides of the peat trays.  How can I be rid of the mold
without injuring the seedlings? 

Thanks for your help!!!

Daniel

--
=================================================================
Daniel M. Dumych          | "The whole earth is full of monuments
[email-masked] | to nameless inventors."  Otis T. Mann

---

From: [email-masked] (GrnThm)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 19:45:29 -0500

When the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago, I made a mix from camomile
tea and water and sprayed the seedlings every few days.  I seeped 2 tea
bags in about a quart of boiling water for a few hours then transfered the
"tea" to a spray bottle - Some of the mold is still on the trays but not
the soil or plants and the seedlings have a set a true leaves and so far
so good they are still standing tall!

---

From: [email-masked] (R. St-Jean)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:30:09 GMT

>without injuring the seedlings? 

You cold simply remove the plastic bags. Mold is growing because its very humid
inside the bag. Covering your trays in plastic is not always necessary.
I've managed to sprout trays of broccoli and tomatoes without the use
of plastic. If you wish to use plastic it is important to remember
to remove the plastic once the seedlings begin to sprout.

Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (R. St-Jean)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:30:09 GMT

Rob