Subject: Anyone recommend a complete Gardening (Plants) CD Rom?

From: [email-masked] (DLAW)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 01:08:39 GMT

There are loads of good books, but I would think there would a CD rom by 
now that covers them all.  If you are using one that you can recommend or 
have seen some reviews on them please let me know. I am really looking 
for a complete CD that includes plants likes, how to handle pests, etc.
I raise tropicals, orchids, and lots of outdoors plants.

Thanks in advance....Dan & Nancy [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Naviart)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 22:53:00 -0400

Better Homes and Gardens "Complete Guide to Gardening" is the best so far.
from Multicom 1-800-850-7272

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Gilbert)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 11:10:08 GMT

>Thanks in advance....Dan & Nancy [email-masked]

I am beta testing a new CD Rom That has impressed me very much. It is 
well presented and offers a wealth of information. As soon as the 
Company Oks it I will post more information about it. My wife and I 
consider it worth waiting for as it offer more information than we have 
found in other products.

No I do not work for the company. We are just avid gardeners in Western 
New York.
-- 
Ed Gilbert
Tyrants have always some slight shade of virtue; they support the laws before destroying them.
--Voltaire

---

From: [email-masked] (Naviart)
Date: 2 Apr 1995 22:53:00 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Gilbert)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 11:10:08 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (s.hilt)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 12:00:22 UNDEFINED

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (DLAW) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (DLAW)
>Subject: Anyone recommend a complete Gardening (Plants) CD Rom?
>Date: 3 Apr 1995 01:08:39 GMT

Sunset Magazine is releasing their Western Garden Book on cdrom this month. 
(I've already ordered mine for $40; it will be $10 more in stores). Their 
Number is 1-800-829-0113. 

Happy Gardening!

Stephanie

---

From: Adam Van Wirdum <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1995 08:20:43 GMT

> No I do not work for the company. We are just avid gardeners in Western 

Could you let me know too please?
Michael Bailes 
The Fragrant Garden Australia
"Anyone who has got any pleasure at all from nature
 should try to put something back. 
 Life is like a superlative meal and the world is the maitre d¹hotel."  What I am doing is the equivalent of leaving a reasonable tip.
R.I.P. Gerald Durrell 1929 - Jan 1995.

---

From: Adam Van Wirdum <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1995 08:20:43 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: 17 Apr 1995 20:52:39 GMT

There are loads of good books, but I would think there would a CD
    rom by now that covers them all.  If you are using one that you
    can recommend or have seen some reviews on them please let me
    know. I am really looking for a complete CD that includes plants
    likes, how to handle pests, etc.  I raise tropicals, orchids, and
    lots of outdoors plants.

I agree with you that one of these days a CD-ROM should come out that
covers just about everything.  Certainly the information exists
on-line; the RHS Dictionary of Gardening was entirely produced using
computer technology.  The print version costs about $800 (four big
hardback volumes), and has limited illustrations.  The RHS also has
two excellent illustrated books on gardening, the AHS/RHS Encyclopedia
of Garden Plants, and the AHS/RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening, each a
single volume costing $50-60.  The E.G.P. describes about 8000 plants,
and illustrates 4000 of them.  Merging these three volumes into one
CD-ROM is probably technically feasible.

However, I am not aware of any CD-ROM resource today that comes
ANYWHERE near any one of these books, much less all three together.
Also, the tendency in mass-market CD-ROM publications seems to be
towards more glitz (video clips of the "host"), and less systematic
indexing, unfortunately.

	-s

---

From: [email-masked] (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: 17 Apr 1995 20:52:39 GMT

-s