Subject: HELP:aphid agony

From: [email-masked] (Seattl)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 13:32:33 -0500

APHIDS:AIIGGHH!!!!

does anyone know of an effective, permanent way to get rid of aphids? i
don't have a garden, just some plants on my deck. last summer, i had a
petunia growing wonderfully until a horde of aphids attacked it. the
infestation was amazing: aphids covered the plant so thoroughly in some
places that you couldn't see the stem underneath. this winter, some new
aphids went after some winter pansies, and i am about to concede a
cineraria to these infernal pests. i've tried a variety of off-the-shelf
sprays; most aren't effective, and the ones that are usually damage the
plant. anyone have ANY advice at all about where these things come from or
how to control/kill/annihilate these wretched creatures??!?! any info
would greatly appreciated; please repond via e-mail ([email-masked]) as i
don't see this newsgroup very often

thanks in advance
lee costic
seattle, washington
(and, no i don't have any final 4 tickets. sorry!)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Apr 95 12:06:51 -0500

> don't see this newsgroup very often

Aphids we will always have with us.  They're amazing creatures that
reproduce parthenogenically.  If you've got a big problem with aphids,
quit spraying pesticides.  You've probably clobbered all of their
natural enemies, too.

While you're waiting for the ladybugs and the lacewings and aphid midges
to come back, you can keep control of things with frequent sprays of
plain dish soap in water.  Ivory liquid is cheap, easy, and as
effective as "horticultural insecticidal soaps"; Dawn has also worked
for me, and some people on this group recommend Dr. Bronner's peppermint
soap.

Whatever you use, try about 1 tsp soap per gallon of water, spraying all
parts of the plant thoroughly, including the underside of the leaves.
Don't let the plant be in full sun when sprayed, and wash the soap
off with plain water in a couple of hours to minimize leaf
damage.  If you still haven't gotten good control, try doubling the
soap concentration, up to about 1 Tbsp per gallon.   Stronger solutions
are more likely to cause damage.

An alternative I've not tried is 2-4 Tbsp of *potato flour* (usually
from the health food store) plus 2-3 drops of dish soap in a quart of
water; spray all parts of the plant, including undersides of leaves.
Wash off in a few hours with plain water.

Other people report good control with 3 oz. finely minced garlic,
soaked in 2 tsp mineral oil for at least 24 hours.  Add 1 pt of water
+ 1.5 tsp liquid soap;  apply to all leaf surfaces, rinse after 
a couple of hours.

How are you fertilizing your plants?  Plants that are badly stressed
are often subject to attack by various pests.  Aphids are particularly
fond of plants that are getting too much nitrogen.

> (and, no i don't have any final 4 tickets. sorry!)

What's a final 4?

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:08:57 GMT

>(and, no i don't have any final 4 tickets. sorry!)

Do you see any ants around the aphids?  If so, they are the ones
importing the pests.  You will need to kill off the ants to get rid
of the aphids.  I have found that Safers Insecticidal Soap is a
good spray, but you will need to repeat applications frequently.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Apr 95 12:06:51 -0500

What's a final 4?

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:08:57 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 03:08:57 GMT

Chris Owens