Subject: Sterile potting mixture?

From: [email-masked] (Frances Whited, 216/569-5291)
Date: 23 Mar 95 10:12:59 -0400

I began working on getting seed started for indoor sprouting last weekend and
got sidetracked before I finished. My question is this: I had my dampened 
sterile potting medium in a big plastic bucket. I left it sitting out on my
screened-in porch, uncovered. I'll probably get back to the task this weekend.
Do I have to re-sterilize the potting medium? If so, why is the soil any more
contaminated than what is now in the flats with seeds in them?

Thanks for any advice/words of wisdom.

Frances

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 14:24:10 GMT

>Thanks for any advice/words of wisdom.

The idea is to have the potting mixture sterile at the start to
give the plants a head start on the fungi.  You can re-sterilize
your medium by pouring an equal volume of boiling water over
it.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan K Poulsen)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 19:55:25 GMT

: ... You can re-sterilize
: your medium by pouring an equal volume of boiling water over
: it.

Depending on the volume of soil, you can always use (seriously) the 
microwave. This will remove the nasties and will keep the beneficials.
(make sure you let the soil cool first) ;->

				Jonathan

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 12:58:50 GMT

>(make sure you let the soil cool first) ;->

Test a small batch first.  Some soil will explode in the microwave.

Chris Owens, who knows this one from having had it happen to
her.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Crader)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 10:41:13 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> >(make sure you let the soil cool first) ;->

160 degrees for one hour will do it. You could use your kitchen oven
(beware the smell). I've heard of people using an outdoor gas grill also.

Mmmm - pass the potato salad...

Kevin