Subject: Re: Dove or Handkerchief tree

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 20:11:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
wrote:

> 
> 
> Could you please tell me the furthest north (in the USA) that you have seen a 
> healthy (Davidia) Dove or Handkerchief tree growing
> 
> Summery: Do you think a Dove tree will grow in Lexington, KY?.....

Doug- 
We have a marvelous Davidia involucrata here at the Scott Arboretum (Zone
6).  They are everything Dirr says they are and then some.  We have people
who make it a special point to come to the Arboretum just to see the
Davidia when it is in bloom.  The tree is lovely in all seasons; I love its
flaky, orange-brown bark when it is covered with a light dusting of snow.

Looking at the USDA zone map looks like you are either in zone 6 or 7, so
go for it.  If you need help finding a source, give me a holler (We are
offering it in our upcoming plant sale, but doubt you want to drive to
Pennsylvania for it...).

Happy gardening--
Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 21:39:13 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Doug Wedding) writes:
> healthy (Davidia) Dove or Handkerchief tree growing.  Dirr list it as Zone 
> 6 - 8 but  I live in Central Kentucky and have never seen one around here.  
> I'm not sure if it's because of it's hardiness or because it's new to this 
> area.

There are Davidias in Arnold Arboretum, in Boston, Massachusetts.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:44:43 GMT

Summery: Do you think a Dove tree will grow in Lexington, KY?

---

From: [email-masked] (Kris Benarcik)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 20:11:17 GMT

Doug- 

Happy gardening--
Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 21:39:13 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 21:34:58 GMT

Thanks Kay for the info and the other great post you have made.  

I was told that the Davidias don't like the quick tempature changes here in 
Kentucky.  But I ordered one anywho!  Maybe I'll be the first.  I've yet to 
hear of one in KY.   I've been told that they've been spotted in Mass, PA., NC 
and NJ. so far.  Seems like they are fairly close to the Atlantic Ocean when 
you go North of the Mason Dixon line.  Thanks Kay.

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Dove or Handkerchief tree 
>Date: 29 Mar 95 21:39:13 -0600

>writes:

>Kay Klier  [email-masked]

Standard High-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING  in the above article has the slightest
relationship to reality. If any reality correspondences are found, please
notify me IMMEDIATELY. Any threats, abuse or stupidity of any kind is purely
UNintentional. These are MY Opinions NOT my employer's.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 08:51:05 -0600

> you go North of the Mason Dixon line.  Thanks Kay.

You can do a lot to grow plants "out of zone" if you pay close attention
to the "microclimates" on your property.  For instance, a plant that
can't take quick temperature changes can be cuddled up to a building,
or even a wall: thermal mass.  A body of water nearby also moderates
temperature changes, and the larger the better.  You may also want to
think about positioning it where there's a bit of a slope, so cold
air drains away (which helps with the on-again--off-gain springs and
falls that those of us in the interior of the continent get so often.
(It was 70+ here on Sunday, about 35 this morning, and with wind chill,
+2oF yesterday).  On the other hand, you may find that a valley in your
property is more constant temperature than a slope when dealing with
rapidly cycling spring and fall temps  (always a bit chilly!)

Also pay very strict attention to soil and water requirements... the
closer some conditions are to "optimum", the more likely the plant
is to survive other environmental stresses.

Enjoy your Davidia!

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 21:34:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 08:51:05 -0600

Enjoy your Davidia!

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 21:34:58 GMT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Apr 95 08:51:05 -0600

Enjoy your Davidia!