Subject: Re: goatskin gloves

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 27 Mar 1995 22:44:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Ruth Evans) writes:
|> > I was just given some goatskin gloves. They feel wonderful on the hand
|> >while gardening--like a second skin. Does anyone know how I can best ca
|> >for them??
|> 
|> I've just been flower gardening for the last few years.  The last two
|> years I've purchased cotton gloves.  This year, I've about had it.  The
|> pair I just bought, I wore once and worked clear through the fingertips
|> in one day.  Are leather gloves (like the goatskin above) worth the
|> expense?

   Well, I've had a pair of cheap goatskin gloves that have lasted for
three years so if you're wearing your cotton gloves out in a day I'd
say that the leather gloves will save you money in the long run.

   As for care, I do nothing for mine other than toss them in the washing
machine every once in a while and letting them air dry, really.  They are only
stiff for the first wearing or so afterwards.  The only thing I noticed was
that before the washings they seemed to exude what I guessed was
lanolin, that actually made my hands silky smooth ;^) ,  most of that
is gone now but the protection is still there and the washings get off
the majority of clay that sticks to the outsides of the gloves.

-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ruth Evans)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 95 12:16:34

> I was just given some goatskin gloves. They feel wonderful on the hand
>while gardening--like a second skin. Does anyone know how I can best ca
>for them??

I've just been flower gardening for the last few years.  The last two
years I've purchased cotton gloves.  This year, I've about had it.  The
pair I just bought, I wore once and worked clear through the fingertips
in one day.  Are leather gloves (like the goatskin above) worth the
expense?

Ruth Evans
     __             ___        __
__  ////\  /\/\  /\/ _//\ __  /// | Anne McCaffrey: Master Word Crafter|
\\\//// '\/    \/ / /\/ '\\\\///  | Princess:  Cutest Wiggle Tail Ever!|
 \XX/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\__/\/\/ \XX/   | [email-masked] or [email-masked] |

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Batson)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 21:00:53 GMT

Ruth Evans ([email-masked]) wrote:
: > I was just given some goatskin gloves. They feel wonderful on the hand
: >while gardening--like a second skin. Does anyone know how I can best ca
: >for them??

: I've just been flower gardening for the last few years.  The last two
: years I've purchased cotton gloves.  This year, I've about had it.  The
: pair I just bought, I wore once and worked clear through the fingertips
: in one day.  Are leather gloves (like the goatskin above) worth the
: expense?

In a word, YES!! They'll last for years.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Batson				L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
[email-masked]			Kansas City
[email-masked]			USDA zone 5
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey A. Del Col)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 23:56:34 GMT

>|> in one day.  Are leather gloves (like the goatskin above) worth the

I have tried cotton gloves, pigskin gloves, cowhide gloves and, finally,
goatskin gloves.

Goatskins are the most comfortable, but they are so expensive I don't
think I'd wear them for extremely rough work.

Pigskin gloves are tough, flexible and washable.  They are also pretty much
thornproof for rose work.  They are much cheaper than goatskin.

I wear cowhide work gloves for heavy digging, handling rocks, etc.
I get the ones with the heavy cotton backs and leather knuckle shields.
They aren't as sweaty as all cowhide models.

I also have a pair of heavy welding gauntlets I wear for pruning shrub roses.
I think they're made of horsehide.

I also own a pair of boarhide work boots.  They're the toughest, most
comfortable boots I have--soft but rugged.

J. Del Col
-- 
Jeff Del Col   * "Sleeplessness is like metaphysics.
A-B College    *  Be there."
Philippi, WV   * 
               * ----Charles Simic----