Subject: How do I rejuvinate my lawn?

From: [email-masked] (Tabitha Conwell)
Date: 22 Mar 1995 14:52:21 GMT

I never thought I'd care about making my lawn look better, but my front lawn
is looking kind of shabby and making the flower beds look bad.

We have about 1/3 acre of grass.  The side and most of the back lawn is fine.
It's thick and green with very few weeds.  It does grow too fast for my 
taste, but hey, you can't have everything.  The problem is the front lawn is
downright ugly.  So, do I rip it all out, build up the soil and plant a new
lawn or do I try to rejuvinate what's there?  The area is about 25' x 25'
with a 18' in diameter circular herb garden in it.  I intend to do away with
more of the lawn and put in more beds for flowers and herbs, so I don't want
to invest a lot of time/money on the grass but I would like it to look better
than it does now.

Any ideas?  My neighbor has supplied us with lots of rotted horse manure.  
Could I use this on the lawn in some way?  I'd prefer not to use a lot of
chemicals if possible.

Thanks,
Tabby Conwell
-- 
-
Tabitha Conwell  [email-masked] 
Wooster, OH   
///////////////////////////////////*\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 05:51:41 GMT

>Could I use this on the lawn in some way?  I'd prefer not to use a lot of

If you are ripping out the lawn anyway, don't spend much time
or $$$ making it look better.  The manure will certainly help,
and be a great additive when you till the grass under for your
flower beds.  Overseeding any parts of the lawn that you plan
to keep will help, too.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph2644)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 20:45:29 -0500

To renovate your lawn fairly cheaply,rake it well,getting right to
the soil,with a spreader put some of your favorite slow release fertilizer
(scotts) on the lawn,then about a quarter of an inch of sifted compost (or
sifted topsoil).Finally overseed first one direction following grass seed
direction,and then the same amount only spread in a pattern 90 degrees
from the original,(thats right twice the seed the box calls for).Water
your lawn,then continue to water for the first couple of weeks about 2"
per week,keep it real moist.
      Takes some time and effort,but you have used no chemicals,and you
have dug no holes

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 05:51:41 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph2644)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 20:45:29 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan K Poulsen)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 19:06:54 GMT

: ...the soil,with a spreader put some of your favorite slow release 
: fertilizer : (scotts) on the lawn...

when establishing new grass from seed, the main ingredient in the fert. 
should be phosphorus (P). This promotes root growth and seedling 
establishment. When the grass is just being established, too much N will 
result in excessive shoot growth leaving little carbohydrate (food) for
root growth. A good ratio to use might be 5-52-12. Depending on your soil 
you should only need to do this in poor seed growing conditions i.e 
summer. It is not really neccessary in the fall or spring. 
Good idea going at 90 degree angles. This gives you much better coverage 
and a more even distribution.

		Good Luck 
	
					Jonathan