Subject: Hardwood sawdust as soil amendment?

From: [email-masked] (Richard Vernell)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 21:27:18 GMT

I've recently moved into a new place and started a new garden.  Last
summer part of the land was logged and the timber sawn on site.  The small
mountain of sawdust came from maple, oak, hickory and walnut.  Since the
soil is on the heavy side (clay) I am tempted to incorporate some of this
cellulose rich material along with some manure.  I need some advice on
this matter, perhaps from someone who has tried this.  I will be planting a
variety of vegetables this spring (that means late May here in Ohio).  Will
the tannins, etc. in the wood cause a problem?

Thanks,

Rich

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 13:12:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Richard

> the tannins, etc. in the wood cause a problem?
  I've had good luck and bad luck...mostly good.  I got a load of hardwood
"mulch" last summer that burned everything it touched within a day, but it
had a very strong acrid smell, perhaps tannin.  It was very dark which I
took to be well aged, but perhaps not.  Otherwise I've used aged sawdust
mixed with manure several times to good effect.  I've also used fairly
fresh cypress sawdust with no problem, but then it decomposes very slowly.
  In general, I think it should be old enough to be dark gray or brown,
and my new rule is that it should smell "ok".  Ah, science! <g>

-- 
Lloyd Fortney ---Opinions, just opinions---

---

From: [email-masked] (Nancy Roatcap)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 15:07:39 GMT

>> the tannins, etc. in the wood cause a problem?

We often used sawdust in our landscaping business in Arkansas
in the '70's But! It must be tempered with a lot of nitrate as
it robs the soil (big time) as it breaks down. A fresh source,
such as chicken litter, is good, but ammonium nitrate is what
we mostly used. How much? Its a crap shoot. Monitor the plants
closely. Add a lot when building the beds. Allow to steep before
planting. Make some compost piles with the stuff, adding a lot
of nitrate to help break it down, use it next year.

Nancy Roatcap
Hacienda Estupenda <%)

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:40:46 GMT

>the tannins, etc. in the wood cause a problem?

Go right ahead.  The earthworms and other critters will love you, and the
sawdust will rapidly break down, enriching the soil as you go.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 02:40:46 GMT

Chris Owens