Subject: Will forced bulbs bloom again?

From: [email-masked] (S. Plunkett)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:00:27 GMT

I bought some cheap forced daffodils at a grocery store that I would like
to put in my garden.  My oh so knowledgeable sister says that they
will not bloom again, but I was under the impression that if I put
them outside and let the leaves die down naturally, the bulbs will be
alright.  Who's right?

=============================================================================
                                 __o    "Think Globally
                               _'\ <;      Bike Locally"
                              (*)/(*)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Scott J. Plunkett:                                   [email-masked]
=============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 19:37:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (S. Plunkett) says:
  My oh so knowledgeable sister says that they
>them outside and let the leaves die down naturally, the bulbs will be

Hi Scott;  You can plant the bulbs and leave them in the bed over winter
and they will bloom next year.  If you want to have them in the pot,
Just plant them pots and all.  They should do well.  Don't foret to 
feed them 20-20-20 when blooms have finished and this will get more 
energy ect to the bulbs.

Derryl Killan
Calgary, Ab.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:30:59 GMT

>them outside and let the leaves die down naturally, the bulbs will be

Usually, forced bulbs have used up all their resources in the
blooming process.  If you plant them outside, they will
probably not bloom next year; but may the year after.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 20:53:41 -0600

> them outside and let the leaves die down naturally, the bulbs will be

Now, now... go to your rooms until you can be nice, if you're going to
argue...  ;-)

You're probably both a bit right.  Forced flowers, esp. *home forced*
flowers, don't do well the next year.  Sometimes they die, mainly because
they've been light starved.  But commercially forced flowers were probably
grown in a greenhouse, so they've probably gotten enough light.  (But
I'd give them a shot of 10-10-10 or similar fertilizer anyhow, since
they probably weren't fertilized.

Generally speaking, daffodils are a lot tougher bulbs than tulips,
so chances are you'll do ok, but the quality of the flowers you
get next year may not be "florist's best".  Home forced tulips, on
the other hand, are pretty much of a write-off, in my opinion.

BTW, if you notice any BIG beds of bulbs on campus or near your
worksite, keep an eye on them after they've bloomed.  You may see
a crew of gardeners dig them all up and toss them at the nearest
compost heap or landfill, so they can replant the beds with annuals.
If you want a lot of Red Emporor tulips, usually all you have to do
is ask... 

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 19:37:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (S. Plunkett) says:

Derryl Killan
Calgary, Ab.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:30:59 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 20:53:41 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 14:15:25 GMT

>them outside and let the leaves die down naturally, the bulbs will be
Actually some can be 'reforced' by letting them grow for a while and dye back naturally, and then let them dry out.
Having been 'forcing' the same narcissis  for the last 2 1/2 years about  3 times a year.
                                                                                                                    Kay

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:42:47 -0500

Forced daffodils will bloom again after a couple of seasons, but not right
away.  Forced hyacinths are hopeless.

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 19:37:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (S. Plunkett) says:

Derryl Killan
Calgary, Ab.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:30:59 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 20:53:41 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 14:15:25 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 04:42:47 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (linus)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 1995 09:31:04 +0200

>them outside and let the leaves die down naturally, the bulbs will be

Hi Scott,

Daffodils hardly ever die. Here (in the Netherlands) they grow along
roadsides and in parks. 
We "inherited" some daffodils in our garden and allthough we never
take them out and sometimes even lawnmower them, they have been
reappearing for over 30 years.
So I don't think a little "forcing" them will do much harm.

They won't come up this year, you'll have to wait untill next year.
Almost any kind of soil is o.k. except clay.

Bye, 

Alexandra van Tongeren & Frank Bueters ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (linus)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 1995 09:31:04 +0200

Hi Scott,

Bye,

---

From: [email-masked] (linus)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 1995 09:31:04 +0200

Hi Scott,

Bye,