Subject: BUCKS COUNTY-PA - When to plant peas?

From: Glenna Feir <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 16:29:57 GMT

We've just moved to Bucks County and I'd like to try planting some
snow peas and sugar snap peas. I know they have to be planted early, 
but how early? Should they be started indoors?

I'd also need advice on things like which annuals do well here, and 
general gardening advice for this area.

Thanks for any help.        Glenna

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Crader)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 22:12:46 -0500

> Thanks for any help.        Glenna

I've tried to start snap peas early in jiffy strips a la Victory Garden
(an excellent book for veggie gardening), but despite intensive care and
monitoring, the direct sown peas always managed to catch up to their
pampered cousins. I've abandoned starting peas inside and applied my
efforts to tomatoes and lettuce instead.

I would think anytime after April 15th, or earlier if the soil dries out.
I'd love to hear from others in Bucks about their early planting dates. 

Central and lower Bucks is in Zone 6, with a Zone change to 5 somewhere
between Doylestown and Haycock. At least that's what I've been told by
local folk. They say it can be raining in Doylestown and snowing in
Bedminster.

Mary and I will be moving to Bucks this year - to follow our bliss, and
start a small specialty nursery!

Kevin

---

From: [email-masked] (Calendula7)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 09:21:37 -0500

> Thanks for any help.        Glenna

I think St Patrick's Day is the traditional day to plant peas (although
last year I had to start them indoors on st Paddy's Day because we had
about 3 feet of snow!)

Sharon-central PA
Sharon Lee

[email-masked]

---

From: Glenna Feir <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Mar 1995 05:02:06 GMT

> Glenna,
> 
> I live North of Doylestown and I just planted my sugar snap peas this weekend.
> My dad, (East Norriton area) planted his peas over a week ago. I covered the
> seeds with a large plastic sheet to keep moisture in and heat up the soil.
> This is how I started most of my seeds last year and it worked great! As
> soon as they start coming up I take off the plastic. If there is going to
> be frost, I throw it back over supported on something like chicken wire.
> The following can all be started this week:  Broccoli, lettuce, peas, onions,
> brussel sprouts. 

How does the broccoli you grow compare with the supermarket variety?

I tasted some home-grown broccoli when we were living on Long Island and
it was quite different from what we were used to...not as good. And it 
looked a bit different,too.

I'll put the peas in right away, and cover them with plastic, as you
suggested. 

I'm wondering how many plants I would need for two people?

Glenna

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 07:59:25 GMT

>Thanks for any help.        Glenna

Here is a great way to plant peas.  As soon as you can work the soil plant 
them.  Dig a trench about 12 to 15 cm. (6-8 inches for you American folks) 
deep and push the peas in the soil about 1inch.  You should use peas that have 
been treated with fungides( they are usually pink in color)  Then as the seeds 
grow you can fill in the trench to help shore them up.  If you can get a copy 
of the "Victory Garden" I believe that the times for planting various plants 
in that book would be the same for your area. Zone 6.
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************

---

From: Glenna Feir <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Mar 1995 05:02:06 GMT

Glenna

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 07:59:25 GMT