Subject: Re: Favorite Public Gardens

From: J. A. Stiller <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Apr 1995 16:17:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Samme Orwig, [email-masked] writes:
>Carol Brandt ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: I enjoyed the thread concerning visits to favorite public gardens.  I
>: would like to hear more about gardens that people thought were worth
>: visiting.  Make sure you tell us their location.  Also some highlights
>: would be useful.

The Philadelphia area has an incredible number of public gardens, a
source of delight to those of us who are lucky enough to  live here and
well worth the visit if you're thinking of heading this way.  A sampling
(in no particular order, and the summaries below are out of my head and
not complete): 

Morris Arboretum , northwest Philadelphia - flowering trees,  lots of
interesting Asian plants, Victorian fernery, grotto, meadow garden,
section of trees chosen for their interesting bark

Scott Arboretum - on the campus of Swarthmore College - Collections of
various types of shrubs (e.g., lilacs, viburnums) and flowering trees,
perennial gardens, woodland.  Always something interesting to see, lots
of good ideas for the home gardener.

Longwood Gardens - Kennett Square, PA - Huge.  Has everything.  Lots of
formal gardens, greenhouses, topiary, fancy fountains, etc.   Very famous
so I won't waste more words on it here.

Winterthur - northern Delaware - former DuPont estate.  Also has an
interesting museum

Tyler Arboretum (near Media, soutwest of Phila.) - Trees collected in the
1840s, including some magnificent specimens such as an immense Cedar of
Lebanon and the biggest Ginkgo you've ever seen.  Not much in the way of
flowers, though there is a scented garden for the blind and a butterfly
garden.   Good collection of rhododendrons.   *Great* walking trails!

Chanticleer - western suburbs.  Wonderful plantings of perennials of
various kinds, formal and informal.   Asian shade garden that is terrific
in the spring.  Limited hours -  open Tues-Sat.

Bartram's Garden - in western Philadelphia.  Oldest public garden in
U.S., the home and garden of John Bartram, friend of Benjamin Franklin
and the person who discovered the Franklinina Tree.   The area around it
is now thoroughly urban, and the river view is marred by factories on the
opposite bank, but that doesn't matter.   Visiting this place is like
stepping back in time.  Not to be missed.

Jenny Stiller
Haverford, PA

---

From: [email-masked] (Dolores Neese)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 09:34:51 -0800

Hi- I didn't see the previous thread, but one of my favorite public 
gardens is the Botanical Gardens at the University of California, Berkeley.
It covers acres and acres, and frequently one must climb a bit. Take a 
whole day to see everything: the various regional gardens: Asian, 
African, Tropical, to name a few.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carol Brandt)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 15:32:59 GMT

I enjoyed the thread concerning visits to favorite public gardens.  I
would like to hear more about gardens that people thought were worth
visiting.  Make sure you tell us their location.  Also some highlights
would be useful.

---

From: Sean Callahan <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Mar 1995 23:49:36 GMT

Speaking of public gardens, one of the greatest is the NY Botanical 
Garden. And you can visit it from where you are now.

It's the first of what we hope will be many public gardens to take 
advantage of The Virtual Garden web site.

Visit the new NYBG web site at:

http://www.pathfinder.com/vg/Gardens/NYBG/index.html

Then scroll through the hundreds of other pages in the VG.

- Sean C.

---

From: [email-masked] (Samme Orwig)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 23:33:21 GMT

In Quebec, visit the sunken garden in that area
south of Old Quebec City, next to the Plains of
Abraham. It's a gem.

---

From: [email-masked] (HollyTW)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 08:16:32 -0500

While not a garden, the Mitchell Domes in Milwaukee are worth a peek. 
Three glassed domes that house three different environments - tropical,
desert and "seasonal" (whatever that means!)  I was particularly tickled
with the desert dome - plenty of succulents including some very healthy
lithops.  What fun!

---

From: Marla Brunker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 95 18:01:06 -0500

>visiting.  Make sure you tell us their location.  Also some highlights
 
	Should your travels take you to New York, you may want to
take in the Bronx Botanical Garden (across the street from the Bronx Zoo -
they both have different "official" names). It's just huge. Greenhouse the
size of a small castle. A lily section. A rhododendron section. Rose section.
Magnolia section. Flowering cherries section. Bog section. Daffodil section.
A woods. acres of rolling parkland. More sections. Labs. God-awful snackbars
(pack a lunch). A not-bad (if pricey) garden shop.
	A river runs through it.

---

From: [email-masked] (HollyTW)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 08:16:32 -0500

---

From: Marla Brunker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 95 18:01:06 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Green)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 05:50:20 GMT

>visiting.  Make sure you tell us their location.  Also some highlights

In Southern California:

Huntington Library and Gardens, San Marino (I-210 Foothill Fwy, Allen Ave.
exit).  IMHO, the best in the area.

Descanso Gardens, La Canada/Flintridge (I-210, follow the signs).

Los Angeles County Arboretum, Arcadia (I-210, follow the signs).

Sherman Library and Gardens, Corona del Mar (PCH just south of MacArthur).

San Diego Wild Animal Park, Escondido (State Hwy. 78 east).

There are many other fine gardens in Southern California; please do not
be offended if I missed your favorite.

Chris Green
San Juan Capistrano, CA
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (XpressoMan)
Date: 12 Apr 1995 01:37:57 -0400

The Buchart (sp?) Gardens in Victoria, Vancouver Island, Canada are truly
incredible anytime of the year - what a display! Sunken garden, evening
walks, etc.