Subject: Re: So...just how big does broccoli get?

From: [email-masked] (Jon Charles Gilliam)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 19:04:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Yippikiyo) writes:
>I am new to gardening and had great success w/ the lettuce and spinach I 
>planted last fall.  The caterpillars and I had plenty to eat.  I am using DE 
>to take care of the wormy buggers this time and in a fit of gardening euphoria 
>planted broccoli, lettuce,spinach,and tomatoes.  Now the broccoli is getting 
>really big, say 1 foot in diameter and it's only been there a month!  It is 
>shading the lettuce and spinach and I'm afraid it will bully my tomatoes, of 
>which I am very fond of already.  Should I move the broccoli, clear out the 
>salad greens, or what?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  And from now on 
>I promise to be better about spacing my plants!

   The broccoli will be okay in 1 square foot of space or more.  Trim off
the leaves that extend over the 1 foot boundary to minimize shading.

   The greens will tolerate some shade just fine, but the tomatoes like
full sun.  If the tomatoes are indeterminate (viney) with a tall support,
they will climb right up and find the sunshine.  I support my tomatoes on
vertical frames on the north side of the garden.  

   Broccoli usually gets about 2-4' in height, depending on the variety
and growing conditions.  

:jon

-- 
-----
Jon C. Gilliam   <[email-masked]>
"This is *netnews*, dammit!  I don't want to read the proceedings of a mutual
 admiration society, I want *argument*!  Vituperation! Flame wars! I want
 blood to leak out of my Ethernet socket!" -- Seth Gordon
-- 
-----
Jon C. Gilliam   <[email-masked]>
"This is *netnews*, dammit!  I don't want to read the proceedings of a mutual
 admiration society, I want *argument*!  Vituperation! Flame wars! I want

---

From: [email-masked] (Polar)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 20:45:31 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Yippikiyo) 

>Yippikiyo
Depending on your zone, lettuce & spinach not only don't mind some 
shading, but here in zone 24, positively welcome it.  If you don't have 
much sun, or are in a harsher zone, of course the game plan changes. 

To make more room --and have great salads -- You can pick the outside 
leaves of lettuce as you go along; it'll just make more.  Of course that 
can't go on forever, but if your zone is not too hot, you can get a lot 
of mileage from lettuce before it bolts.

(re: broccoli, You're lucky you CAN grow it; I never got big heads.

Maybe close planting isn't so bad.  They give it the fancy name French 
Intensive Gardening.  Premise is supposed to be that plants shade the 
soil so it doesn't dry out, plus other advantages I can't recall.

Polar

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Charles Gilliam)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 19:04:46 GMT

:jon

---

From: [email-masked] (Polar)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 20:45:31 GMT

Polar

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Charles Gilliam)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 19:04:46 GMT

:jon

---

From: [email-masked] (Polar)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 20:45:31 GMT

Polar

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 18:51:43 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Yippikiyo) writes: 

>"It's one thing to look distinguished,
>it's another to look damned old!"
>                      
>                                      Bruce Gilmour
>

How about harvesting the broccoli and eating it.  Steamed, with
hollandaise sauce . . . yum!

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Mcdevlin)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 21:44:22 -0400

"I tried broccoli last year,  someone told me to pick off the leaves and
steam them,  they were pretty tasty, but then I later read that, that
hinder the growth of my plant - and it did , maybe now's a good time for
you to have a tasty treat with your broccoli leaves  - and help with
lowering your shady areas. 
Good luck 
Sue Devlin 
Ridley Park , PA

---

From: [email-masked] (Mcdevlin)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 21:44:22 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Mcdevlin)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 21:44:22 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Yippikiyo)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 01:07:34 UNDEFINED

Bruce Gilmour