Subject: Starting Jack-in-the Pulpit

From: [email-masked] (Gary Hinton)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 19:25:31 GMT

I collected some seeds from our Jack-in-the-Pulpit plant last fall and
would now like to try planting them.  Has anybody had success in this?
Anything special I should be aware of i.e. starting inside vs outside?
Type of soil?

Thanks in advanve
Gary

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 14:10:34 GMT

>Anything special I should be aware of i.e. starting inside vs outside?
 They like shade and need to be watered if the groud gets dry, more than most plants.
They also need fairly rich soil with lots of humus.
                                                                   Kay

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 14:11:30 GMT

>Anything special I should be aware of i.e. starting inside vs outside?
Forgot, start them outside, they'll grow inside, but just as well outside.
                                                                  Kay

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 14:10:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (pete hanson)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 95 14:11:30 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Crader)
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 1995 21:56:24 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (pete
hanson) wrote:

> >I collected some seeds from our Jack-in-the-Pulpit plant last fall...

Gary,

Not to bum you out, but I believe Arisaema triphyllum seeds need a cold
stratification period of at least 60 days before they'll germinate.

Collected fresh, the pulp should be throughly washed off the seeds, and
the seeds should be stratified right away in damp, whole-fiber sphagnum
moss and refrigerated. If seeds are allowed to dry out after cleaning,
germination could be delayed for a year.

Don't know if it would work to give your seeds a cold treatment now.

Good luck!