Subject: Re: Septic Helpers

From: [email-masked] (Joshua_Putnam)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 21:13:42 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] () writes:

>This maybe a bit off this thread but if the problem is keeping
>the system active would it be a good thing to add oxygen to the
>system via some form of an air pump.  I see how the water will
>bring oxygen into the system which is good on one hand but adds
>to the saturation problem...why not simply add the oxygen supply
>via a pipe/pump much like a fish tank?  Any thoughts?

The septic tank should be as de-oxygenated as possible -- it's
purpose is to allow anaerobic decomposition of wastes.  Only
after this anaerobic decomposition is the wastewater ready for
aerobic decomposition, which takes place in the drainfield.
Excessive water flows will cause two major problems: wastes
will be forced out of the tank into the drainfield before
anaerobic decomposition is complete; and the drainfield may
become saturated, allowing the wastewater to enter the ground
water without aerobic decomposition.  This is very dangerous,
because aerobic decomposition is what eliminates many contagious
bacteria.

-- 
 [email-masked]    Happy Man Corp.  206/463-9399 x102
 4410 SW Pt. Robinson Rd., Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399  fax x108
 We publish SOLID VALUE for the intelligent investor.  NextMail OK
Info. packet free.  Send POSTAL address: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 19:32:20 GMT

>Actually, these are anarobic bacteria which means they prefer
>no oxygen as I understand it. O2 would kill them.

While the bacteria in a septic tank are anaerobic, they are much
slower at breaking down the waste than aerobic bacteria would be.
In fact, one thing is done to improve septic systems for difficult
locations is to bubble air through septic tank.  This helps to get
aerobic bacteria going that can then get more waste digestion done
faster.  So the answer is, yes it works, but it is one more 
mechanical device to go wrong, or to lose power when the utility
power fails.

-Roger