Subject: Please, help me transplant my Sweet Pea and Morning Glory seeds!

From: [email-masked] (Marinrow)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 21:03:13 -0500

I have only recently become a garden lover, a working garden lover that
is, and would like to grow sweet peas. I have started the seeds inside and
they have grown very fast and are about 4" tall. I have done the same with
some morning glory seeds. I slowly awakened them to the outdoors and then
transplanted them about 2 weeks ago. Well, they are now limp and lifeless.
I don't seem to have a knack for transplanting yet. I live in the San
Francisco/Marin area and get medium sunlight in the day to afternoon. I
used planting mix and the original soil mixed. I also gave them string to
climb on. What have I done wrong??! Can you help?

Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 16:15:06 GMT

>climb on. What have I done wrong??! Can you help?

Neither sweetpeas nor morning glories like to be transplanted.
Plant them in situ.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 07:20:00 GMT

MM> is, and would like to grow sweet peas. I have started the seeds
MM> inside and they have grown very fast and are about 4" tall. I have
MM> done the same with some morning glory seeds. I slowly awakened them
MM> to the outdoors and then transplanted them about 2 weeks ago. Well,
MM> they are now limp and lifeless.

If the weather hasn't been harsh on them, it's probably the soil. Try 
adding some kind of nitrogen fertilizer. I'm impressed with cotton seed 
meal so far because it is organic and my plants have responded very well 
to it (and very quickly as well).

 * RM 1.3 01256 * * Never squat with your spurs on! *

---

From: [email-masked] (NicksTimon)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 00:30:31 -0500

You just happen to pick two of many seeds that don't transplant well at
all! :)
Those seeds  nasturtiums, and zinnias, don't enjoy it. Try planting them
directly in the area you want them to grow, but make sure you don't pull
them up with the rest of the weeds!
Morning Glory is one of several seeds that sometime need scarifing. This
means scratching or nicking the seed to allow moisture to penetrate the
seed layer. Sometimes boiling water poured over the seed is called for!
Anyway, much literature is written about these methods. Contact you local
agri center or go to Barnes & Noble Bookstore! Spend all day reading and
learning! I do it all the time. :)
See Ya!
[email-masked]
1531 Casa Park Cir.
Winter Springs, FL 32708