Subject: RR ties: how to cut?

From: Jim Hockenhull <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 1995 19:09:38 GMT

I've got a project in mind involving railroad ties.
I'd appreciate advice on good ways to cut them. People tell me
that they're hard on chain saws.

Thanx for opinions,
Jim

---

From: Archer Gravely <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Mar 1995 21:46:45 GMT

>that they're hard on chain saws.

Yes RR ties are hard on chain saws but much harder on your elbow if you
cut them by hand.  I cut 7 or 8 rr ties with a bow saw once and I had
tennis 
elbow symptons for about a year (I play tennis so it never got complete
rest).  
The next time I had to cut them I used a chain saw. Its pretty cheap to
get chains re-sharpened.

-archer gravely

---

From: Archer Gravely <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Mar 1995 21:46:45 GMT

-archer gravely

---

From: [email-masked] (John Bachman)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 19:05:14 -0500

In rec.gardens Jim Hockenhull <[email-masked]> said: 

>I've got a project in mind involving railroad ties. I'd appreciate advice
on  
>good ways to cut them. People tell me that they're hard on chain saws. 
 
Maybe so, but that is still the best way.  Just sharpen the saw after every
tank of gas.

---

From: [email-masked] (BillsDone)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 10:51:10 -0400

faced this obstacle last weekend...i don't have a chain saw...used a
circular saw and went all the way around and finished with a hand
saw....wasn't TOO bad...several minutes per tie...thankfully, i only had
three to cut

good luck

bill in tennessee

---

From: [email-masked] (bill griffith)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 03:01:58 GMT

We've cut them at work using a chain saw. I don't know of onother 
practical way of doing it.

bil

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...

---

From: [email-masked] (bill griffith)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 03:01:58 GMT

bil