Subject: flowering almond?

From: [email-masked] (Kathy Brunet)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 11:59:42 -0500

Does anyone have any experience with flowering almonds.
I live in New Jersey in an area featuring rocky, clay
soil and am looking to establish a "privacy fence"
of interesting shrubs. Besides flowering almond,
I am thinking of a burning bush and hydrangea. I am
the most novice of gardners and am looking for easy
growing, hardy plants. Any comments or advice would
be most appreciated.

---

From: [email-masked] (Nita Richard)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 16:03:54 -0500

>growing, hardy plants. Any comments or advice would
I planted a flowering almond in my yard in Metro-Atlanta, Georgia last
fall and it is in full bloom right now.  A lovely, pale pink flower that 
is attached directly to the stems of the shrub all in a row.  It's really
cheery to look at.  No fragrance though :(  I found mine in a Pike's Nursery
here in the clearance section for $4.  I love it and wish I had more of them.
Mine is about 3 1/2 feet tall and about 1 1/2 foot wide.  I frequent the clearance sections in nurseries and look for things that are out of season.  They
have a hard time selling some deciduous things when they're not leafed out 
and you can get some really good prices that way.  Happy gardening!

-- 
Nita Richard 
Georgia Institute of Technology, "Home of the 1996 Olympic Village"             Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0181
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!nr5
Internet: [email-masked] (404)853-0050

---

From: [email-masked] (Cara Vandy)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 19:37:58 -0500

>growing, hardy plants. Any comments or advice would

I don't know how interesting mock orange would be to you, but it's worked 
well for me as a semi-privacy shrub on a bad site in southern NJ for several 
years.  The bush does lose all leaves in winter, but is full in summer, 
with wonderfully scented flowers in spring.  It's not getting along real 
well with forsythia in the hedge right now - the forsythia wants more sun 
and all the room.  From what I've seen of hydrangea - my grandmother's 
bushes and down the shore - they love pure sun and sandy soil.   I've got 
two in a semi-sun condition in average earth, and they're doing okay, but 
would probably be growing faster in greater sun.  If you have full sun, I 
envy you.  My whole yard's in shade.  Two last suggestions - mountain 
laurel is a beautiful native shrub, very like the rhodedendron - and 
Viburnum/n? has a really spectacularly scented flower.   I've seen both 
growing well in NJ, though I don't know about the clay.  Most of the soil 
around here has too much sand.  The mock orange is unkillable - it was 
growing wild (more like running amuck) in the backyard for a few years 
after the previous owners died.  We have it confined to a big patch by 
the north side of the house, and small groups along the fence.  The 
increasing tree presence has probably tamed it in the intervening years.  
I don't think it likes the shade very much.  Good luck.

		Cara