Subject: Re: Good plants for children's garden wanted

From: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Netter)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:58:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

> I have set aside one 4x5 ft raised bed for my 2.5 year old daughter. I
> want to plant stuff in there that she will enjoy - things she can plant,
> things that attract interesting butterflies, things that produce pretty
> flowers for her to pick. I have already decided to plant a pumpkin there
> (I know that's not big enough for a pumpkin but it can grow all over the
> mulch surrounding the bed) and some pole beans. Someone suggested something
> like dill that attracts a lot of bugs. Any other good kid plants? Oh, and
> we're planting sunflowers along the fence right near the bed too.
> 
> We're in Boulder, Colorado (Zone 5).

Sharon,

Our kids (3 & 5) going to plant zinnias and marigolds this year.  Watch
out for the pumpkin though, it will swamp out anything else that gets
under its leaves.

Chris Netter
Zone 4/5 <- depending on where you are around the house.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Netter)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:58:18 GMT

Sharon,

Chris Netter

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Netter)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 16:58:18 GMT

Sharon,

Chris Netter

---

From: [email-masked] (karen Jackson (East MS 96))
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 02:07:50 GMT

>> we're planting sunflowers along the fence right near the bed too.
As an experienced Mother and gardener, I have a few ideas for you.
Nasturtiums are great flowers for a child to plant. The seeds are large and
east to poke into the earth. Once they come up, thet take off and flower
fairly quickly. They are brightly colored, fragrant and edible. I also
recommend growing cherry tomatoes. My little ones were especially keen on
the small yellow pear variety. Right now you can help your child plant some
lettuce seeds in a flat (I use a recycled section of a milk carton or a tofu
container). It is fun to watch them sprout and then grow in a sunny window.
They can be planted out in a few weeks. Little gardeners love to pick and
taste. Leaf lettuce is great for this
 Karen J.
-- 
           '~'
         { `@` }   [email-masked]
         /., .,\
      \\    !    //        Garden Designs, Chiles & Babys

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Netter)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 22:09:14 GMT

> >> things that attract interesting butterflies, things that produce pretty
...
> recommend growing cherry tomatoes. 

Green Beans too!  Our kids will eat a ton of green beans if they're
uncooked (the beans that is) and placed on the edge of the counter while I
fix dinner.  But if I put them on their plates, forget it.

Corn is another good thing that kids seem to like to watch grow and then
eat right out of the garden. Get something like Candy Corn or one of the
other super sweet varieties, they do great.  (And Sharon, since you live
in the Boulder/Denver area try getting seeds from the Rocky Mountain Seed
Co.  Our experience is that the seeds do better than other "brands" that
we've tried.)

The only trouble we've had with cherry tomatoes was with one of the dogs. 
She watch our daughters helping themselves to tomatoes fresh off the vine
and decided that she could do it too.  We didn't get another tomatoe off
that plant all year.

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrea Via)
Date: 13 Apr 1995 17:53:29 GMT

sharon badian ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have set aside one 4x5 ft raised bed for my 2.5 year old daughter. I
: want to plant stuff in there that she will enjoy - things she can plant,
: things that attract interesting butterflies, things that produce pretty
: flowers for her to pick. I have already decided to plant a pumpkin there
: (I know that's not big enough for a pumpkin but it can grow all over the
: mulch surrounding the bed) and some pole beans. Someone suggested something
: like dill that attracts a lot of bugs. Any other good kid plants? Oh, and
: we're planting sunflowers along the fence right near the bed too.

: We're in Boulder, Colorado (Zone 5).
: -- 
: Sharon Badian
: AT&T Bell Labs - Denver
: [email-masked]

Butterfly flowers are great at attracting butterflies (hence the name) 
and are good at the back of a garden since they get fairly tall.  Daisy 
is also nice and kids love to pick them.

Good luck
	Andrea

---

From: [email-masked] (sharon badian)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 22:23:45 GMT

Sharon Badian
AT&T Bell Labs - Denver
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hartsough Michael J.)
Date: 19 Apr 1995 14:01:06 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>We're in Boulder, Colorado (Zone 5).

I'm planning a "living tepee" for my 2 & 4 year olds. Last year's gardening
calendar suggested it.

I've got a half dozen half-barrels I'll place in a circle, maybe 3ft apart.
Into each I'll insert a 6ft plant stake, then attach a plastic trellis net to
the stakes.

For plants, I've ordered several different gourd collections (large gourds/
small gourds) I think the color and variety of the gourds should be
interesting. I've also purchased some sunflower seeds, I'm planning on 1
sunflower/barrel. I've got peas leftover from a couple years ago. Though it's
getting late here (zone 5) to start peas for harvesting, I figure the dead
vines later in the summer will provide nice color and texture contrasts.

And then there are Taylor's canteloupe seedlings. A couple months ago I was
cutting up a canteloupe and my 4 yr old said, "Daddy, can we plant the seeds?"
So he got a little lesson in seed saving. Last week he got a lesson in seed
starting when HE planted HIS seeds. This week he's experiencing the thrill
of 100% germination! Anyway, I think half of them will go into the tepee
(I've always wanted to try growing melons vertically), and the other half into
the family vegetable garden.

Fun fun fun!!!

Oh, word of caution. The biggest thrill of all for a young child is "picking"
things. Mine truly enjoy giving Daddy a present of anything they can pluck
off of the plant. I can't tell you how many green tomatoes, pumpkins, etc.
I've received. It can be frustrating, but you have to look at the bigger
picture. It's THEIR garden too. They're having fun and trying in their own
way to be helpful. They'll also take a taste of anything they pick. Don't
be surprised if you start discovering green tomato-filled diapers.  ;^)

	Michael