Subject: Full Shade Ground Cover

From: [email-masked] (William E. VanHorne)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 18:48:12 GMT

Time to turn to The Experts for advice.  I have a problem area in my back
yard.  I have a patch of ground under a hawthorne tree that abuts the house
on the north side so it gets essentially *no* sun.  Right now it's mud and
I would like to have something green *other* *than* *ivy* growing under 
there.

Problem #2, it's a high dog-traffic area, despite all efforts.  I planted
pachysandra there last year and the pachy seemed to be happy except for 
the fact that the over-enthusiastic chowbrador (tm) trampelled it into
oblivion.  By September I had, roughly, 2 pachysandra plants still upright.

So, what I'm looking for is a full-shade indestructable ground cover that
*is* *not* *ivy* (or any other plant that would try to take over the yard).  

Anyone got any ideas?

---Bill VanHorne

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 16:51:15 GMT

>*is* *not* *ivy* (or any other plant that would try to take over the yard).  

Full shade I can offer you.  Dog-invincible there isn't.  I am particularly
partial to caladiums (although you have to dig them or mulch VERY
well in the winter.)  Having dogs myself, I have found that putting up
a temporary fence until the plants establish, along with training the
dog to stay OUT is the best solution.  Otherwise, just lay rock or
mulch.

Chris Owens

---

From: Jeremy Packer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Apr 1995 09:26:26 GMT

> *is* *not* *ivy* (or any other plant that would try to take over the yard).  

Try Campanula poscharskayana (?spelling), it will tolerate the shade,
but is a bit invasive. Also Vincas should be ok.

---

From: Jeremy Packer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Apr 1995 09:26:26 GMT

---

From: Jeremy Packer <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Apr 1995 09:26:26 GMT

---

From: dustin k howarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 14:53:02 -0400

Vinca minor is a tough little plant (tough enough for your chowbrador, I 
don't know)  It spreads well, and produces small but beautiful blooms in 
white or lavender.  It is also a plant that is easy to beg a small piece 
of from friends to give it a trial run (I think it is incredibly 
expensive when bought in flats).  

Dustin
[email-masked]

---

From: dustin k howarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 14:53:02 -0400

Dustin
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 95 18:38:31 -0500

I just happen to have a book of lists with me from the library.  In it
for ground covers for deep shade it lists Sweet woodruff, lily-of-the-valley,
Wild ginger, and cast iron plant.  Hope this helps.