Subject: Re: Seeking Advice on Growing Giant Pumpkin

From: [email-masked] (Meliva)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 16:43:41 -0500

Hmm.  Should I or shouldn't I?  Well, I doubt he reads this part of the
net.

My younger brother won first place in 4H for his prize pumpkin.  He
started it in early spring outdoors, not in a pot.  He claims it became a
giant because he was careful to "fertilize" it himself at least once a
day.

---

From: [email-masked] (Reginald Jack Osborne)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 21:11:12 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Bruce Gorham" writes:

> In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (R. St-Jean) writes:> >Hello fellow gardeners. Could anyone tell me if starting Pumpkin
> >seeds (Atlantic Giant) indoors would be advantageous, say one month
> >before planting outside?  Or, could this produce weak plants where 
> >the ones planted directly in the garden would catch up and likely
> >surpass the ones started early indoors?
> >
> >The reason I am asking this question is that I tried starting plants
> >early last year and these plants did not do well once planted in the 
> >garden.

I always raise my plants in the greenhouse.  I sow the seeds in about mid 
April in 3 inch pots (one to a pot).  I then size up to a 5 inch pot when the 
plant has taken.  I plant out in the garden at the end of May when there is in 
this part of the world, no further chance of frost.  The plants then carry on 
growing by leaps and bounds.

Reg
-- 
R J Osborne

---

From: [email-masked] (Meliva)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 16:43:41 -0500

---

From: [email-masked] (Reginald Jack Osborne)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 21:11:12 +0000

Reg
-- 
R J Osborne