Subject: Quick facts about clumping bamboo

From: [email-masked] (William T. Roberds)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 13:42:15 -0600

There was a post recently about clumping bamboo and whether it would grow 
in South Florida.  A few bambusophile facts may help:  bamboos are 
usually classified as running or clumping.  Clumping types send out very 
short runners (usually a foot or less a year) & therefore have more 
appeal to most gardeners than the running types which are hard to 
control.  Unfortunately for most people in the US, most clumpers are only 
top-hardy to about 20 degrees F or slightly less.  The most widely used 
tropical clumper is Bambusa multiplex or hedge bamboo which will grow 
very well in S. Florida and other warm, humid areas.

There are a few clumpers which are hardy -- meaning top-hardy to about 
zero degrees F or slightly lower.  The most widely available of the hardy 
clumpers is Fargesia (or Sinarundinaria) nitida whose common name escapes 
me.  This is a small bamboo which is native to the mountains of W. 
China.  Unfortunately for those living in warmer areas of the east (z.8 
and south) Fargesia does not tolerate warm, humid summers.  However there 
are dwarf varieties of hedge bamboo which give a similar effect to 
Fargesia & will tolerate summer heat.  These varieties are also much 
cheaper than Fargesia and generally reliable as long as winter temps stay 
above 20 degrees or so.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
e-mail: [email-masked]
=========================================================================