Subject: Compost Tumblers

From: [email-masked] (Dave Clark)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:07:11

The Local HQ has a ball shaped Compost bin that you roll around every couple 
of days to mix the compost.  I've seen ads for several designs of these things 
and they claim finished compost in 14 days.  This one is selling for around 
$79.  I'm curious, has anyone tried these things?  Do they work?  Most that 
I've seen are over $100 and I didn't want to spend that much on something that 
might be a gimmic.
--------------------
Dave Clark - Data General Corp. Westboro, MA
[email-masked]

Opinions expressed are my own.  Any resemblance to other opinions
living or dead are purely coincidental.
--------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Madelin Holtkamp)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 10:34:58 -0800

An inexpensive alternative that I use for pest plants that I don't want
to put in my regular compost pile is one that I read about years ago in
Organic Gardening.  You put the plants and a shovelful of dirt into a black
plastic bag.  Water well, close the top with a rubber band, poke a few
ventilation holes in the bag (i use a pencil), and give it a kick to turn
it periodically.  I don't know that it is that much faster, but it gets
really cooked so that no viable weed seeds are left.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Crader)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 20:30:29 -0500

> really cooked so that no viable weed seeds are left.

The bag n' kick works great!

The only thing the compost tumblers are good for are lining the pockets of
those who sell them. Waste of money.