Subject: Software to design Garden

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 01:29:51 GMT

Hi
I'm looking for a recommendation on what software is available to design 
a garden. 

please reply via email, thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (bill griffith)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 04:34:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>I'm looking for a recommendation on what software is available to design 

I am trying a shareware program called JSSi. I'm not sure what that 
stands for tho. I got it from the Compuserve Gardening forum. I don't 
know where it might be on the net.
It doesnt have pictures of plants but it allows you to set up your garden 
and has a quick table to put in the details (date planted, date first 
germination...first fruit etc). It has a cooments block too. 
I haven't looked at too many programs but this one is quite complete for 
me.

bil

[email-masked]

---

From: woodrow dumas <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 10:38:33 GMT

> I haven't looked at too many programs but this one is quite complete for 

I recently bought a CD-Rom called Garden Companion. It will help you 
plan your garden according to the zone you're in and the type of garden 
you would like; Victorian, formal, etc. The graphics are in full colour 
and look wondeful. Quite similar to the plates in VG. It also has a 
Care Calendar that will print a -chore list- specific to your plant
selections. The most interesting thing about this program is the
-Plan Type Filter- You pick a plant that is already doing well in
your garden and it will suggest others that would do equally well.
Even if you're a genius like me (ahem) it does make a great reference
tool.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Apr 95 11:11:47 EST

I've just finished with the beta test for a garden design called
Garden in Time--I've learned a lot about what to do with my
garden, chages I'd like to make and new plants I should try
just from fiddling around with the beta version--and the regular
release promises to be much better.  It has a data base of about 800 plants
(and there will be more plant modules and perhaps an accessory module
for things like fountains and birdbaths later).  

You choose a background (like a provacy fence, rock wall, hedge,
or none) and draw your garden dimenmsions.  Then you can pick plants
by sun requirements, color, height and season and place them
in the garden.  Once you have your garden planted, you can grow
it, to see what it will look like from early spring through
late fall.  Finally, you can prinmt out a list of plants used
to take with you to the nursery.

The commercial version is supposed to be released sometime
next week--I'd recommend it!

Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (bill griffith)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 04:34:18 GMT

bil

[email-masked]

---

From: woodrow dumas <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 10:38:33 GMT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Apr 95 11:11:47 EST

Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (Julia Wainwright)
Date: 7 Apr 95 10:23:05 -0500

I'm also looking for garden design software.  Is 'Garden in Time' a 
Windows based package and can you give me details of the supplier please? 
Are they US based?  If they are, does anyone know of a similar product 
available in the UK?

Julia
   
In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...

---

From: woodrow dumas <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 10:38:33 GMT

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Apr 95 11:11:47 EST

Carol

---

From: [email-masked] (Julia Wainwright)
Date: 7 Apr 95 10:23:05 -0500

Julia

---

From: [email-masked] (B1G1J1)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 03:34:52 -0400

I recently purchased the CD-ROM software LAND DESIGNER Multi-Media for
Gardens and have been having a lot of fun designing my perennial gardens. 
The software allows you to draw in foundations, buildings, sprinkler
systems, hardscapes (fences,driveways) and, of course, plants.  There is a
variety of landscaping symbols and over 1000 plants to choose from.  

The software was developed in conjuction with White Flower Farm
(Connecticut) and includes color images of many of the plants they offer
and audio pronouciations of the botanical names.  You can also search the
plant database based on specific characteristics you may be looking for. 
For example, fall blooming plants  for a sunny garden in Zone 5 with
yellow flowers.  

It also captures the prices of the plant and allows for "layering" so you
can plan what will be planted this year, next year, etc.  These two
features work well together; after I printed my plant/price list, I
realized that I could not afford to do everything in one year and had to
split my plantings.

I found it easy to learn and produced a professional looking design.  The
software is from Green Thumb Software in Boulder, Colorado, (303)
499-1388.

Happy Gardening,
Beth

p.s.  I'm not a sales rep for Green Thumb, just a happy customer.

---

From: [email-masked] (B1G1J1)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 03:34:52 -0400

Happy Gardening,
Beth