Subject: FAQ: Cucumber Pickles

From: Brian Lo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:44:57 -0800

CUCUMBER for PICKLING
                                   Cucumis sativus
                     (See also file on cucumbers for fresh market)

VARIETIES (approximately 50-60 days to start of hand harvest and 60-70 days to
machine harvest in the Willamette Valley).

      Processors determine varieties to be grown.  Brining quality (firmness,
color), length:width ratio, seed development rate, fruit appearance, disease
resistance and yield are primary considerations. Varieties suggested for
direct market and U-Pick operations are:

      Hand harvest, black spine types:  Pioneer, Bounty.  White spine:
Calypso, Regal, Cross Country, Flurry M, FanciPack, Blitz, Carolina, Tripleme-
ch, Quest, Duke.

      Machine harvest, determinate vine types: Napoleon, Vlaspik, Castlepik,
Sunseeds 3509. Semi, or in-determinate types:  Lafayette, Calypso, Quest,
Fanci Pack, Flurry M, Cross Country, Regal, Triplemech (all with multiple
disease resistance and white spine).  For trial:  Duke, Premier, Score, Royal,
(all white spine, with multiple disease resistance); Peto H-19 Little Leaf,
also white spine).

      Parthenocarpic (needing no pollination) varieties FOR TRIAL ONLY: Anka,
Parmel, Arena, Adonis; County Fair (multiple disease resistance, and seedless
when isolated from other cucumbers).

SEED COMPANIES

Asgrow Seed Company, POB 5038, Salinas CA 93915
Bejo Seeds, 1323 E. Fir St. Mount Vernon WA 98273
Ferry-Morse Seed Co. POB 4938, 555 Codoni Ave. Modesto, CA 95352
Harris Moran Seed Co. 3670 Buffalo Rd. Rochester, NY 14624
Nunhems Seed Corp. POB 18, Lewisville, ID 83431-0018.  ph:208/754-8669
Park Seed Co.  Cokesbury Road, Greenwood, SC 29647-0001
Petoseed Co. Inc. POB 4206, Saticoy, CA 93303
Stokes Seeds Inc. POB 548, Buffalo, NY 14240
Sunseeds, 2320 Technology Pkwy. Hollister, CA 95023
W. Osborne Seed Co. Int'l. 1679 Highway 99 South, Mount Vernon, WA 98273 
Zenner Bros. Seed Co., Inc.  1311 S.E. Gideon St. Portland, OR 97202

SOILS

      Pickling cucumbers can be grown on a wide range of soils if the soils
are well drained and have about 2-3% organic matter, and a high level of
fertility. Irrigation is essential to maintain good soil moisture and to
obtain high quality fruit.  Avoid heavy soils or those easily compacted.  Use
a soil test to determine the nutrient status and pH.

      For machine harvest, avoid clay soils since clay can seriously dirty the
fruit under wet conditions.  Choose fields that are rectangular for efficiency
of machine harvest.  Avoid fields enclosed by tree rows that limit air
movement, since this may provide an environment conducive to foliar and fruit
diseases.

TEMPERATURE

      Recent research indicates that temperature range for optimum cucumber
growth is 86-90 F. Night temperatures above 70 F. especially when combined
with moisture stress result in rapid seed development and softening of
internal tissues.

      Minimum soil temperature required for germination of this crop is 60 F.
with the optimum between 70 and 95 F.  Pickling cucumbers are sensitive to
cool soil conditions.  Under such conditions, damping-off can seriously reduce
stands, and seedling growth may be very slow. 

SEED AND SEED TREATMENT

      Cucumber seed numbers approximately 17,600 per pound, except Little Leaf
types which are smaller, numbering about 32,000 per pound.  Use treated seed. 
Pickling cucumbers can be particularly sensitive to damping-off problems. 
Proper seed treatments can dramatically improve stands.  

      Some seed companies offer primed seed.  Growers may also send seed to
specialty companies that will prime seed for them on request.  New develop-
ments in seed priming (solid matrix priming) offer advantages not available
until very recently.  Although primed seed may emerge earlier and more
uniformly, reducing certain production risks, these advantages may, or may not
translate into earlier harvests, higher yields or better quality.  Primed seed
has limited storage life.

SEEDING

      Approximately 60-70 days are required between seeding and machine har-
vest.  Sequential plantings are necessary for orderly harvest.  Heat-unit
systems to schedule plantings are of limited use.  Processing company fieldmen
will determine schedules appropriate to processing needs.

      Cucumbers for pickling are planted from about mid May through June. 
Fields intended for hand harvest are planted as soon as weather permits with
subsequent planting dates left largely up to the grower.  Fields for machine
harvest are planted on a tight schedule to fit product grade requirements,
processing capabilities and harvesting machinery availability 

      Pickling cucumbers varieties are always direct-seeded.  Seed carefully
at a depth l/2 to l in. depending on soil moisture.  For hand harvest plan-
tings use about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. of seed per acre aiming or populations of
about 20,000 plants per acre.

      Limited research on the economics of combining hand and machine harvest
indicate that plant populations for such fields should be the same as for
fields intended for machine harvest only.

      Use about 6-9 lbs. of seed per acre and populations of 75,000 to 85,000
plants per acre for plantings intended for once-over (destructive) machine
harvest.  Generally 1 lb of seed produces 12000-15000 plants under good
conditions. 

Final Spacing:                                               Recommended
                           Between Rows      Within Row      Population      

    for hand harvest       4-5 feet          6-8 inches      18,000-20,000
   (300 to 450 square
   inches per plant)

    for machine harvest    18-28 inches,     3-4 inches      indeterminate
    (84-90 inch headers)   (3 or 4 rows                          types:
                             per bed)                        75,000-85,000   

                                                             determinate
                                                                types:
                                                            85,000-120,000

                                                            Little Leaf
                                                            35,000-40,000

      Note:  74 square inches per plant spacing results in approximately
             85,000 plants/Acre

WINDBREAKS

      Where needed, windbreaks are often overlooked as a crop protection aid. 
In general, close windbreaks, even between every row, give the best wind
protection and may moderate the crop micro-climate enough to promote faster
plant growth.  Where winter cover crops have been employed, it would be a good
practice to leave strips of the cover crop as windbreaks.  In this case, the
strips for the plant beds can be prepared by rototilling, leaving windbreak
strips between the plant rows.

      Establishment of a windbreak crop in the previous fall will insure
enough growth to become effective as a windbreak by spring planting time. 
Seed grain thickly, 2-3 seeds per inch.  This requires about 10 lbs. of
barley, 9 lbs. of wheat, or 8 lbs. of rye to seed grain rows 12 feet apart. 
Spring grains such as barley may be useful if planted in February in eastern
Oregon.

      Windbreaks can be removed by mowing, tilling, or an appropriate herb-
icide once their useful life is over.

FERTILIZER

      Good management practices are essential if optimum fertilizer responses
are to be realized.  These practices include use of recommended varieties,
selection of adapted soils, weed control, disease and insect control, good
seed bed preparation, proper seeding methods, and timely harvest.  

      Because of the influence of soil type, climatic conditions, and other
cultural practices, crop response from fertilizer may not always be accurately
predicted.  Soil test results, field experience, and knowledge of specific
crop requirements help determine the nutrients needed and the rate of applica-
tion.  

      The fertilizer program should insure adequate levels of all nutrients. 
Optimum fertilization is essential for top quality, yields, and returns.  

      Recommended soil sampling procedures should be followed in order to
estimate fertilizer needs.  The OSU Extension Service agent in your county can
provide you with soil sampling instructions and soil sample bags and informa-
tion sheets.  

      Recommendations are based on a row spacing of 60".  With decreased row
spacings fertilizer rates should be increased. 

Western Oregon:

                               NITROGEN (N)

      For fields intended for hand-harvested plantings rates of 80 to 150 lb
N/A are suggested with the lower rates of N being applied when legumes were
grown the preceding year or a green manure crop is incorporated into the soil
prior to planting.  Apply one-half the nitrogen at or just prior to planting
and the rest when vines begin to "run".  

      For machine harvested fields nitrogen rates of 60 to 100 lbs appear to
be adequate.  All the nitrogen may be applied at, or just prior to planting. 
Determinate vine cultivars may produce highest yields at the higher N rates
per acre without danger of excessive vine growth.

      Exercise care in nitrogen fertilization and irrigation.  Excess applica-
tions of either may result in viney plant growth which interferes with bee
pollination and machine harvest, and promotes foliar and fruit diseases,
resulting in reduced fruit set, loss of small pickles in machine harvest, and
an increase in fruit disorders. 
          
     Although plant populations are much higher for machine harvested fields
than hand-picked fields, the machine-harvested fields have a much shorter
production period, generally being harvested once destructively.  Fields
intended to be hand-picked several times before a machine harvest would have
to have nitrogen managed differently.  

     Pickling cucumbers are sensitive to fertilizer burn.  If the application
of N plus potash (K2 O) exceeds 50 lb/A, there is danger of seedling injury
from the fertilizer if it is all banded at planting time.  There is less
danger if the band application is split into two bands.  The danger is
aggravated as the band comes closer to the seed, and  is greater with sandy
than with finer textured soil.  Immediate irrigation at the first sign of burn
should reduce further injury.  There is more possibility of damage to seed-
lings on acid soils where the pH is below 5.5.  

                              PHOSPHORUS (P)

      Phosphorus fertilizer should be banded at planting for vigorous early
seedling growth.  Bands should be located 2" to the side and 2" below the
seed.  Phosphorus management would be the same for hand and machine harvested
fields.

          If the OSU soil test           Apply this amount of
          for P reads (ppm):             phosphate (P2 O5 (lb/A):

                0 to 15                          120-150
               l5 to 60                           90-120   
                over 60                           60-90

      In some areas, a diluted phosphoric acid solution sprayed in a 1-2 inch
wide band directly over the seed row has shown to reduce crusting, improve
phosphorus nutrition of the crop and increase yield.  The benefit of this
treatment would be most likely to occur with early plantings on cool soils.  

                               POTASSIUM (K)

      Potassium for both hand and machine harvested fields should be applied
before planting or banded at planting time.  Amounts above 40 lb K2 O/A should
be broadcast and worked into the seedbed.  See statements on fertilizer
banding under "NITROGEN".  Potassium management would be the same for hand and
machine harvested fields.

          If the OSU soil test     Apply this amount of
          for P reads (ppm):       potash K2 O (lb/A):

                0 to 75                 100-150
               75 to 150                 60-100
              150 to 200                 40-60
                over 200                   0

                                SULFUR (S)

      Include 20-30 lb S/A in the annual fertilizer program for vine crops.  S
is sometimes contained in fertilizers used to supply other nutrients such as
N, P, and K but may not be present in sufficient quantity.  

      Plants absorb S in the form of sulfate.  Fertilizer materials supply
sulfur in the form of sulfate and elemental S.  Elemental S must convert to
sulfate in the soil before the S becomes available to plants.  The conversion
of elemental S to sulfate is usually rapid for fine ground (less than 40 mesh)
material in warm moist soil.  

      Sulfur in the sulfate form can be applied at planting time.  Some S
fertilizer materials such as elemental S and ammonium sulfate have an aci-
difying effect on soil.  

                              MAGNESIUM (Mg)

      When the soil test value is below 1.5 meq Mg/100g of soil or when
calcium (Ca) is ten times more than the Mg, apply 10-15 lb Mg/A banded at
planting.  If Mg deficiency symptoms appear, spray with 10 lb Epsom salts in
100 gals of water/A.  

      Magnesium can also be supplied in dolomite, which is a liming material
and will reduce soil acidity.  Dolomite should be incorporated into the
seedbed at the rate of 1-1 1/2 T/A.  

                                 BORON (B)

      In general, boron deficiencies are uncommon.  If the soil test value for
B is less than 1 ppm, an application of 3 lb B/A is suggested.  Boron should
be applied uniformly to the field as a spray or broadcast.  Never band B
fertilizer.  Cucumbers are sensitive to excess Boron.

                                 ZINC (Zn)

      Zinc deficiencies are uncommon in Willamette Valley soils.  When the
soil test is below 1 ppm Zn, a response to Zn is expected and 4 lb Zn/A should
be included in the fertilizer band.  

                                   LIME

      Experimental work has shown that vine crops will produce good yields
over a fairly wide range of soil acidity.  Lime applications are suggested
when the soil pH is 5.6 or below, or when calcium (Ca) levels are below 5 meq
Ca/100g of soil.  Optimum pH is between 5.8 and 7.0.  

      The rate of lime application can be estimated from the following OSU SMP
buffer table.  

          If the OSU SMP buffer    Apply this amount of
          test for lime reads:        lime (T/A):

               Below 5.2                   4-5
               5.2 - 5.6                   3-4
               5.6 - 5.9                   2-3
               5.9 - 6.2                   1-2

                  The liming rate is based on 100-score lime.  

      Lime should be mixed into the soil at least several weeks before plan-
ting.  A lime application is effective over several years.

      Some soils may have a fairly high OSU SMP buffer value (over 6.5) and a
low pH (below 5.5).  This condition can be caused by the application of
acidifying fertilizer.  In this case the low pH value is temporary and the pH
of the soil will increase as the fertilizer completes its reaction with the
soil.  This temporary "active" acidity from fertilizer is encountered follow-
ing recent applications of most N fertilizer materials.  Acidifying fertiliz-
ers also have a "long term" acidifying effect on soil which is cumulative and
leads to lower OSU SMP buffer readings.  

      Sandy soils to which fertilizers have not been recently applied some-
times record low pH and high SMP buffer values.  In such cases, a light
application of 1-2 T/A of lime should suffice to neutralize soil acidity.  

      For acid soils low in Mg (less than 0.8 meq Mg/100g of soil), 1 T/A of
dolomite lime can be used as a Mg source.  Dolomite and ground lime stone have
about the same ability to neutralize soil acidity.  

      The possibility of seedling injury from the band application of ferti-
lizer is less when the soil pH is 5.6 or above.  Some Willamette Valley
experiments have shown decreased uptake of phosphorus from band applications
of phosphorus when the pH approaches 5.5.  

      Lime applications should be broadcast, preferably in the fall, and
incorporated into the seedbed.  Do not plow lime down leaving the surface soil
unlimed.  

      Fertilizer Guide #2, "Liming Materials for Oregon", which is available
from your local OSU Extension Office, provides additional information lime.  

Eastern Oregon:

      At time of seeding, band the following:

      Nitrogen: 40-60 (N) lb./acre 
      Phosphate: 100-150 (P205) lb/acre 
      Potash: 50-70 (K20) lb/acre

      Just before the vines begin to spread, side-dress with 50-75 lb/acre 
of nitrogen.  For machine harvested pickling cucumbers, see notes under the
"Western Oregon" section above. 

      These fertilizer recommendations are based on research conducted by
O.S.U. Horticulture and Soils Department and  Extension faculty, and are
quoted from O.S.U. Fertilizer Guide FG 68.

FLOWERING AND POLLINATION

      Depending on cultivar, pickling cucumbers plants may bear separate male
and female flowers on the same plant (monoecious), only female flowers (gyno-
ecious), or male flowers and perfect flowers (male and female organs in the
same flower) i.e. andromonoecious.  Most modern cultivars have plants that
bear only female flowers (gynoecious), so seeds of plants that are monoecious
(bearing separate male and female flowers on the same plant) are mixed into
the seed lot (usually 10 to 15%) to allow pollination.  These seeds are
usually dyed a different color from the seeds of the cultivar being planted.

      Bees are needed to transfer pollen from the male flowers to the female
flowers, thus making fruit set possible.  It is recommended that 1-2 honey bee
colonies of 30,000 to 50,000 bees each be introduced for every acre during the
blooming period.  High population plantings intended for machine harvest
require 2-3 colonies for the 1-2 week period coinciding with peak bloom. 
Naturally occurring bee populations are not considered to be adequate since
their presence may not coincide with the full blooming period, or their
numbers may be too low.  Furthermore, the new gynoecious pickling varieties
are less attractive to bees.  Information from the midwest indicates that
pickling cucumbers require at least 15 bee visits to each flower for normal
pollination and fruit set, and maximum yields, although some of the new
all-female varieties may set as much as one-third of their yield without being
pollinated.

      Another reason for a high bee population at first bloom is that pollina-
tion of flowers in the crown area over a short period (1-2 days) will result
in the desired multiple fruit per plant and a range of usable fruit sizes.  If
pollination of flowers occurs over an extended period of time (several days)
the later pollinated flowers will not develop until the first pollinated fruit
is removed.  This results in the often observed single fruit per plant in the
crown area with all other fruit development stopped. 

      Hives should be placed at the edge of the field after the first blooms
are visible so that no point in the field is more than 200-300 yards away from
a colony.  Placing bees prior to flowering may result in the bees establishing
themselves on nearby crops thus reducing their effectiveness in cucumber
pollination.  Research indicates that total yield increases resulting from
good bee management can range from 25 to 50 percent.  Pickling cucumber
growers in the midwest are reported to have experienced an average increase of
30 percent from effective use of bees.

IRRIGATION

      Irrigation requirements depend on the length of harvest.  Some fields 
may be hand harvested 10-12 times and need to be kept growing adequately.  
Ten to fifteen inches of water may be required depending on seasonal variation
and variety.  Irrigations need to be coordinated with picking schedules. 

      Adequate, uniform water applications are necessary to produce high
quality fruit.  Water stress contributes to higher incidence of nubs and
crooks, and reduced fruit length.  Water stress coupled with high night
temperatures also results in rapid seed development and softening of cucumber
internal tissues.

      Field observations in fields intended for machine harvest indicate that
as harvest approaches (when fruit reaches a mean grade of 2.0), irrigation and
soil moisture can have a dramatic effect on fruit sizing.  When irrigation is
applied at this time, especially during warm temperatures, fruit grade size
can increase by 0.2 of a grade per day, necessitating harvest in 2 to 2.5
days.  Conversely, if fruit sizing needs to be slowed or delayed, irrigation
should be delayed, as long as it does not result in fruit wilting or crop
damage.

      Soil type does not affect the amount of total water needed, but does
dictate frequency of water application.  Lighter soils need more frequent
water applications, but less water applied per application.         

HARVESTING AND HANDLING

      In western Oregon, pickling cucumbers are harvested from about mid July
to mid October.  The prime harvest season is from the end of July to the end
of September.

      Oregon plantings are mostly hand harvested at this time. Different
prices are paid for machine and hand harvested fruit.  Processing requirements
are set according to variety and desired product.  Pickling cucumbers are
graded by diameter.  One processor grades:  Grade #1: cucumbers less than 1";
grade #2: 1"-1.5"; grade #3: 1.5"-2".  Fruit over 2" diameter is rejected by
some or accepted up to 2.5" at minimal value for a maximum percentage per load
by others.  Nubs and crooks are also graded separately and paid for at a
minimal price.

      Approximate average yields of pickling cucumbers are about 12 tons per
acre for hand harvested fields that are picked about 10-12 times.  Good yields
are approximately 15-18 tons/acre. Where contracts are on a tonnage basis, and
because of labor constraints, growers may over-plant acres so as to fulfill
their contracts with less (7-10) pickings. 

      For highest returns, thoroughly harvest marketable fruit at regular
intervals.  Remove oversize fruit so later fruit can develop properly.  During
warm weather conditions, pickling cucumbers may grow very rapidly and it is
important to shorten harvest intervals.  Pickling cucumbers can have a 40 %
weight increase in 24 hours, especially when fields are well irrigated (see
IRRIGATION section above), and may depreciate in value by 5 to 15 % over the
same period. 

      Machine harvested yields are approximately 6 tons/acre with good yields
about 10 tons/acre.  Yield is greatly dependent on the grade of the harvested
product, so tonnage figures are a poor indicator of dollar return per acre. 
New harvesters (FMC) have demonstrated the capability of picking a higher
percentage of small fruit and a better dollar return per acre.
      For once-over, destructive, machine harvest, the proper time is a major
decision.  Maximum dollar return per acre, and maximum value per ton, do not
occur at the same time.  Harvest time must be based on accurate field samp-
ling.  The processing company may dictate time of harvest based on their
requirements for cucumber sizes.  The grower must establish an agreement with
the processor on time of harvest and grade values based on interactions of the
type of machine harvester, variety, plant population and time of harvest. 
Machine harvesting and bulk handling capability may be limiting, and would
have to be considered.

      Machine harvest with a Wilde or Byron harvester is usually begun when
the average graded weight of harvested pickles is about 2.5.  With the variety
Calypso, this occurs just when the grade 4 pickles (oversize) reaches between
5 and 10 percent.  The Raven Pickle Harvester, a harvesting machine built by
Jerry's Welding of Ravenna, Michigan, has an oversize eliminator that sorts
oversize cucumbers and puts them back on the field.  

      The new FMC harvester which is designed to pick a higher percentage of
small fruit may allow an earlier harvest start and a wider picking window. 
The price for small fruit is an important factor in this.

      It is important to point out that processors will differ in their grade
requirements, and varieties differ in their size-grade distribution, and the
rate of change of grade distribution with each day's delay of harvest. 
Varieties also differ in the quality of their large and oversize cucumbers. 
These factors affect the value of any given load.  In the Willamette Valley,
this can result in a change of $100.00 per day per acre in gross returns with
the variety Calypso and similar lines.

      Machine-harvested pickling cucumbers must be washed and cooled immed-
iately after harvest to reduce losses due to mechanical damage from the
machine and soil abrasion.  Portable washing equipment is commercially
available in 3000 and 5000 gallon capacity tanks by some of the manufacturers
of harvesting machines.

      STORAGE (Quoted from USDA Ag. Handbook #66):

      Pickling cucumbers have been successfully hydrocooled under experimental
conditions and then held 4 days at 40 F  They should be utilized immediately
after removal from cold storage.

HANDLING

      Pickling cucumbers are either hand or machine picked into large bins for
delivery to processors.  Care should be exercised in minimizing mechanical
damage and protecting loads from heat build-up to minimize spoilage and
maintain brining quality.

                    PEST CONTROL FOR PICKLING CUCUMBER

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW, TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST PEST
CONTROL HANDBOOKS, ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY, AND ARE REVISED ONLY ANNUALLY. 
BECAUSE OF CONSTANTLY CHANGING LABELS, LAWS, AND REGULATIONS, OREGON STATE
UNIVERSITY CAN ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF USE OF CHEMICALS
SUGGESTED HERE.  IN ALL CASES, READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND PRECAUTION-
ARY STATEMENTS ON THE SPECIFIC PESTICIDE PRODUCT LABEL.

                          USE PESTICIDES SAFELY!

Wear protective clothing and safety devices as recommended on the label. 
Bathe or shower after each use.

Read the pesticide label--even if you've used the pesticide before.  Follow
closely the instructions on the label (and any other directions you have).

Be cautious when you apply pesticides.  Know your legal responsibility as a
pesticide applicator.  You may be liable for injury or damage resulting from
pesticide use.

WEED CONTROL

     When black plastic ground mulch is not used, cultivate as often as
necessary when weeds are small.  Proper cultivation, field selection and
rotations can reduce or eliminate the need for chemical weed control.
______________________________________________________________________________

ACTIVATED CHARCOAL SEED PROTECTION

Several Pacific Northwest grass seed crops are protected from herbicide injury
with the use of activated charcoal which adsorbs and detoxifies or inactivates
the herbicide.  In vegetables, activated charcoal can be mixed with horticul-
tural grade vermiculite and applied as an anticrustant/seed protectant.  The
activated charcoal vermiculite mix is placed within the seed furrow using a
positive feed device.  Herbicides must not leach excessively or move readily
from crop roots into the plant.  Although crop safety can be enhanced, weeds
emerging from within the treated area also are protected.

Another use for activated charcoal involves seed protection from herbicides
that leach into the seed zone from excessive rainfall. Seed coatings of
activated charcoal would reduce the active concentration of herbicide at or
very near the seed during the germination process.

Activated charcoal/vermiculite mix:  Thoroughly mix 1 lb activated             
                   charcoal/ft3 of number 2 or 3 grade horticultural           
                   vermiculite.  If severe dustiness is a problem, add a       
                   small amount of water.  Apply 1 ft3 of mixture/600 ft.      
                   of seeded row or approximately 15 cu.ft/A.  Fill the        
                   seed furrow using a positive feed applicator and press      
                   with a press wheel.

WEED MANAGEMENT GENERAL STRATEGY
     
Weed management in cucurbits represents planning and integration of several
practices.  Crop rotations and, therefore, field selection containing control-
lable weeds must be achieved before planting.  Many growers use a stale
seedbed technique followed by cultivation, except in excessively wet years.
Row spacings that enhance canopy selectively controls weeds within the crop
row.  In eastern Oregon, rye windbreaks often are planted between rows and
incorporated during the last cultivation.  
______________________________________________________________________________

STALE SEEDBEDS FOR VEGETABLE PRODUCTION

Stale seedbeds are sometimes used for vegetable production when other selec-
tive weed control practices are limited or unavailable.  The concept depends
on controlling the first flush of emerged weeds before planting or emergence
of the crop followed by minimal soil disturbance which reduces subsequent weed
flushes during establishment of the crop.  Following establishment, other weed
control practices including cultivation or use of other herbicides can be
used.

1.    Prepare a seedbed, preferably 2 to 3 weeks before planting to achieve    
      maximum weed seed germination near the soil surface.  Soil temperatures  
      and moisture must be reasonable or results will be erratic.

2.    Plant the crop with minimum soil disturbance.  Otherwise, new weed seed  
      will be exposed to favorable germinating conditions.

3.    Just before or after planting but before crop emergence, treat the    
      field by flaming or with herbicide to kill all germinated or exposed    
      weeds.

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flaming                                      

      Use liquid propane or similar fuel-burning equipment to qickly sear the
      weeds, but not consume them with flame. 
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paraquat                0.625 to 0.94 lb ai/A    
  Gramoxone Extra      
  (see remarks)      

      Restricted-use pesticide.  Do not ingest or inhale spray mist.  Wearing
      protective face shields, respirators, and clothing is advised.  Apply    
      during or after planting, but before crop emergence.  Add a nonionic
      surfactant or crop oil concentrate according to label specifications,
      taking care to avoid anionic formulations that react in the tank to form
      insoluble precipitates.  Exposed crop plants will be killed.  Do not
      apply preplant or pre-emergence to soils lacking clay minerals, such as
      peat, muck, pure sand, or artificial planting media.  (Acts as contact;
      absorbs energy produced by photosynthesis forming peroxides that disrupt 
      living cells.) 
______________________________________________________________________________

PREPLANT INCORPORATED

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bensulide                 5 to 6 lb ai/A  
  Prefar                                    

      Apply preplant and incorporate 0.5 to 1 inch deep simultaneously or
      immediately after application by cross-disking or using a PTO rotary     
      tiller.  Sometimes the first flush of weeds must be controlled with
      cultivation before herbicide begins to control grass. Consult label for  
      planting sensitive crops within 18 months. Do not apply more than once
      every 12 months.  (Inhibits roots of seedlings).
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
bensulide +             4 to 6 lb                 
  naptalam              +                          
  Prefar + Alanap       2 to 4 lb ai/A            

      Note information above for bensulide and below for naptalam. Use lower
      rates on sandy soils.   
______________________________________________________________________________

PREEMERGENCE 

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
naptalam                3 to 4 lb ai/A 
  Alanap                                        

      Apply immediately after seeding to moist soil and sprinkler irrigate
      with 0.5 to 1 inch water or mechanically incorporate in 1 to 1.5 inches
      soil with spiketooth harrow to place herbicide in germination zone.  Use
      lower rates on sandy soils.  Controls primarily broadleaf weeds.
      (Reverses geotropism in roots).              
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
ethalfluralin           1.12 to 1.69 lb ai/A      
  Curbit                              

      Adjust rates depending on soil texture and organic matter. Apply only as
      a postplant surface treatment before weed emergence. Activate with 0.5
      inch irrigation within 2 to 5 days or cultivate soil surface above seed.
      Crop injury may occur with excessive rainfall or irrigation or if
      seeding depth is too shallow. Do not graze, nor apply to wet or cloddy
      soils. Note replanting restrictions for sugar beets and red beets listed
      on label. (Inhibits mitosis,  primarily in shoots.)
______________________________________________________________________________

POSTEMERGENCE

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sethoxydim              0.19 to 0.28 lb ai/A 
  Poast        

      Identify susceptible grasses and apply at optimum growth stage listed on
      the label.  Add 2 pints/A nonphytotoxic crop oil concentrate to improve
      leaf absorption.   Erratic control often occurs when grasses are stunted
      or stressed from drought, high temperatures, or low fertility. Resistant
      grasses include annual bluegrass and all fine fescues, whereas quack-
      grass can be suppressed.  Do not within 14 days of harvest, nor exceed 3
      pints/A per season.  (Inhibits fatty acid production, cell membranes,
      and new growth.)
______________________________________________________________________________

POSTEMERGENCE LAY-BY TREATMENTS

Weed Treatment              Active Ingredient Per Acre and Application Comments
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
trifluralin             0.5 to 0.75 lb ai/A       
  Treflan                                       

      Apply as a directed spray between rows when crop has 3  to 4 true leaves
      and incorporate 2 to 3 inches deep, using rolling cultivators set to
      throw soil towards plants in the row.  Spray only 1 time per year. 
      Consult label for restrictions on planting sensitive crops within 12
      months. Possible injury may  result in cool soils and from carryover
      from repeated use without adequate rotation.  (Inhibits mitosis,
      primarily in shoots).      
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
ethalfluralin           1.12 to 1.69 lb ai/A 
  Curbit              

      Adjust rates depending on soil textures and organic matter.  Apply in
      bands between rows after planting or transplanting.  Activate with 0.5
      inch irrigation within 2 to 5 days or cultivate soil 1 to 2 inches deep. 
      Do not graze or apply to wet cloddy soils.  Note replanting restrictions
      for sugar beets and red beets listed on label.  (Inhibits mitosis,
      primarily in shoots.)
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
DCPA                    9 lb ai/A  
  Dacthal                                       

      Performs poorly in western Oregon and Washington.  Elsewhere, apply
      after plants have 4 to 5 true leaves following a cultivation and
      weeding, but before any new weeds become established.  Results are
      improved if rainfall or overhead irrigation occurs immediately after
      application.  Consult label for restrictions on planting sensitive crops
      within 8 months. (Inhibits mitosis).
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

INSECT CONTROL

     Proper rotations and field selection can minimize problems with insects. 

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST INSECT
CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS FOR
CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

Insect and Description                  Control, Active Ingredient Per Acre
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aphids, including                           diazinon - 0.5 lb spray       
Bean aphid                                                                
Aphis fabae                                 malathion - 1.25 lb
                                                                          
Dull black plant louse that colo-           Phosdrin - 0.25 lb 
nizes during latter part of the              
season.                                     Pyrellin - 1 to 2 pt
    
Melon aphid                                 Dibrom - 1 lb                  
Aphis gossypii                     
                                            Metasystox-R - 0.5 lb         
Small plant louse, yellowish to            
dark green in color. Pale forms             endosulfan - 0.5 to 1 lb      
have dark mottling. Colonize                
plants late in the season.           NOTE:  Bees are important in cross   
                                            pollination of cucumbers.  Take 
Potato aphid                                precautions to avoid poisoning  
Macrosiphum euphorbiae                      them.                       
Green to pinkish plant louse that
colonizes plants. Transmits virus.           
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cucumber beetles                            methoxychlor - 1 to 3 lb          

Small, slender, greenish-yel-               diazinon dust - 0.5 lb
low beetles with three promi-               
nent black stripes on back. At-             malathion - 1 to 1.5 lb   
tack young plants. Larvae feed              
on roots and underground                    carbaryl - 1 lb
parts of stems.                                                          
                                            Dibrom - 1 lb
OR                                          
                                            endosulfan - 0.5 to 1 lb     
Yellowish-green, black-spotted 
beetle, common to western                   Guthion - 0.5 lb              
Oregon and Southwestern                                                   
Washington.  Damage usually                 Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb      
limited to young plants.                                                  
                                            Lannate - 0.45 to 0.9 lb     

                                            Pyrellin - 1 to 2 pt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cutworms                                    Lannate - 0.45 to 0.9 lb           
Many species                                                              
                                            Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb
Small to large larvae that feed                                           
on foliage and stems.                       Sevin bait 5% pellets - 1.0 lb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabbage looper                              Lannate - 0.45 to 0.9 lb    
Trichoplusia ni                                                         
                                            Dibrom - 1 to 2 lb          
Pale green larvae with white                                            
stripes. Move in looping manner.            Asana - 0.025 to 0.05 lb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grasshoppers                                Asana - 0.03 to 0.05 lb     
Different species                                                        
                                            Nosema locustae - use as     
                                            manufacturer directs         
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seed corn maggot                            Seed Treatment                
Delia platura                               Lorsban 50 SL - 1 oz ai/100 lb
                                            of seed.                      
Small legless maggot that feeds on
and destroys germinating seeds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slugs                                       metaldehyde baits. Do not con-
                                            taminate edible plant parts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spider mites                                Kelthane 35W - 0.6 lb   Do not     
Tetranychus spp.                            feed or use EC formulations.
                                            
Tiny spiderlike animals that                malathion - 1 to 1.9 lb
feed on plant juices causing                                           
leaves to turn yellow and die.              Metasystox-R - 0.5 lb      
                                                                       
                                            Phosdrin - 0.5 lb          
                                                                       
                                            Dibrom - 1 lb              
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garden symphylan                            Telone II or C-17
Scutigerella immaculata                                                 
Small, white, centipede-like
animals in soil.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thrips                                      diazinon - 0.5 lb spray  
                                                                     
Very small, slender insects. Pale           Dibrom - 1 lb            
green (young) to black (adults). 
Feed on leaf surfaces. Surface feed-
ing causes leaves to appear silvery.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireworms                                   diazinon - 3 to 4 lb active 
Limonius spp.                               ingredient per acre. Broadcast
                                            granuals or emulsifiable 
Brown, jointed larvae of click              formulations evenly on the soil
beetles. Kill young plants,                 surface and incorporate into 
weaken older ones.                          the top 4-8 inches of soil.
                                            
                                            Telone II or C-17
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

DISEASE CONTROL

     Proper rotations, field selection, sanitation, spacings, fertilizer and
irrigation practices can reduce the risk of many diseases.  Fields can be
tested for presence of harmful nematodes.  Using seed from reputable seed
sources reduces risk from seed born diseases.

     THE PESTICIDES LISTED BELOW ARE TAKEN FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST DISEASE
CONTROL HANDBOOK, AND ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  CONSULT PRODUCT LABELS FOR
CURRENTLY LEGAL REGISTRATIONS, RATES AND COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.

CUCUMBER -- ALTERNARIA  LEAF  SPOT  (Fungus Leaf Spot)

Cause: A fungus, Ulocladium consortiole. Recent work in Washington has shown
this disease does not reduce yields under Washington conditions.

Symptoms: Small tan spots which turn dark brown on maturing. Often concentric
rings may be noticed in the older spots giving them a "bull's-eye" appearance.
Coalescing spots may involve large areas of the leaf. Under Northwest condi-
tions the fruit have not been attacked by this organism.

Control:  Use one of the following sprays:

1.  Bravo 720 at 2 to 3 pt/A in water to cover.  May be applied by sprinkler
(see product label).

2.  Mancozeb at 1.8 to 2.4 lb ai/A.  Do not apply within 5 days of harvest.

3.  Maneb at 1.2 to 1.6 lb ai/A.  Do not apply within 5 days of harvest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- ANGULAR LEAF SPOT

Cause: Pseudomonas syringae pv. lachrymans lacrymans, a bacterium. The
bacterium overwinters in diseased plant material and on the seed. It is spread
by rain, sprinkle irrigation, or on hands and clothing of workers. In recent
years the incidence of the disease has been reduced by the use of tolerant
varieties.

Symptoms: Leaves, stems, and fruits may be affected. The leaf spot is irregu-
lar in shape, angular, with a water-soaked appearance. Bacteria may ooze from
the spots in droplets which dry to a white residue.  The water-soaked area
later turns gray and dies. Often the dead tissue is torn away from the healthy
portion of the leaf leaving large irregular holes.

The water-soaked spots on the fruits are smaller and circular. Lesions are
usually superficial, but the injury may permit the entrance of soft-rot
organisms.

The affected tissue becomes white and may crack open.

Control: The following control program is a combination of those used in other
areas. 

1.  Plant resistant varieties.  Pickling varieties `Regal', `Royal',
`Pioneer', `Express', `Calypso', `Cross Country', `Frontier', `Pioneer', and
`Express' have shown tolerance under Washington and Oregon conditions. The use
of these varieties is usually sufficient under our conditions. The slicing
varieties `Victory', `Bel Aire', `Raider', `Encore', `Poinsett 76', `Slice
Nice', `Dasher II', `Turbo', `Quest', and `Sprint-N' are resistant.

2.  Stay out of wet, infected fields.

3.  Application of fixed copper spray has reduced the spread of the disease,
but copper sprays have been reported to cause some stunting and leaf chlorosis
in Oregon. Several copper materials are available.

Residues:

Arasan--considered to be a nonfood use.

Captan--seed treatment, considered a nonfood use.

Coppers--exempt.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- BACTERIAL WILT

Cause: Erwinia tracheiphila, a bacterium, which overwinters in the bodies of
the striped and 12-spotted cucumber beetles. In Oregon, the disease occurs on
cucumbers occasionally. The bacterium affects only plants belonging to the
cucumber family--cucumbers, muskmelons, pumpkins, squashes, gherkins, white
gourds, and a number of wild plants.

There is a very close relationship between the bacterium and the beetles--if
the beetles are eliminated so is the bacterium. The bacterium hibernates in
the digestive tract of a few beetles and in the spring finds its way through
the feces of the carriers to the young plant. It can enter the plant tissue
only through deep wounds such as injuries produced by feeding beetles, or
later in the season, following grasshopper invasion. The bacteria are not
carried in or on the seed.

When beetles chew on affected leaves, which they seem to prefer, their mouth
parts become contaminated with the bacteria, which are carried to the next
three or four plants on which the beetle feeds. Infection takes place only
when there is a film of water sufficient for the pathogen to reach the wound
in the inner leaf tissue.

The beetles do not migrate in rainy periods; the disease rarely is found where
the annual rainfall is over 45 inches or below 18 inches. Optimum average
daily temperatures for development of the disease are 52o to 60o F.

Symptoms: General wilting of the plant. Infection begins on one or a few
leaves which droop suddenly. The disease spreads from the foliage downward
into the petioles and stems until the plant has wilted and died. The fruit
also wilts and shrivels.

Control: Spraying or dusting to control the carrier beetles is effective.
See Pacific Northwest Insect Control Handbook.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- CURLY TOP

Cause: A virus disease spread by the beet leafhopper and surviving from year
to year in perennial weed hosts.

Symptoms: Growth is retarded and the older leaves take on a tan-yellow color.
Terminal leaves are sometimes darker than normal, and the entire plant is
stunted. The few fruits produced are small, of poor quality, and abnormally
shaped.

Control:

1.  Set out more plants than needed and remove diseased plants as soon as they
can be detected.

2.  Partial shading will discourage movement of the leafhopper vector onto the
plants, thus reducing the possibility of infection.

3.  There are no known resistant varieties.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- DAMPING-OFF

Cause: This disease is caused by the fungus Pythium ultimum, which lives in
the soil. It attacks seedlings of many different crops.

Symptoms: Seedlings may be attacked before they emerge or after they are up,
resulting in gaps and uneven stands. Young plants suddenly wilt and topple
over. Water-soaked lesions are apparent on the stems at the soil line. As the
seedlings mature, they become resistant to attack. The disease can be a
serious problem in cool, wet soils.

Control:

1.  Delay planting until soil warms so as to increase seedling growth and
emergence.

2.  Mulch soil to increase soil temperature.

3.  Plant shallow to promote quick emergence and growth.

4.  Treat seed with captan.

5.  Treat seed with Apron FL 1.5 fl oz/cwt (Pacific Northwest states only).

6.  Treat seed bed with Ridomil 2E.

Broadcast: Apply 4 to 8 pt Ridomil 2E/treated A at planting in 20 to 50 gal of
water.

Banded: Apply Ridomil 2E in a 7-inch band. Rates are calculated based on row
spacing and plant density according to the label.  

Broadcast and incorporated: Apply 4 to 8 pt of Ridomil 2E/A as a broadcast
soil application in 20 to 50 gal of water and incorporate in the top 2 inches
of the soil. If beds are used, broadcast and incorporate prior to bedding.

Seed Treatment:  Apply Anchor at 1.502/cwt seed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- GUMMY STEM BLIGHT

See Squash - Black Rot or Gummy Stem Blight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- MOSAIC

Cause: A virus disease spread by aphids and possibly cucumber beetles. The
virus overwinters in the seed of wild cucumber and in wild perennial milkweed,
ground cherry, and matrimonial vine.

Symptoms: Leaves are markedly mottled and wrinkled with yellow and green
blotches and edges cupped downward. Early season infection results in dwarfing
of the plants while later infections show the typical mosaic symptoms only on
later season growth following infection. The fruit develops raised wartlike
bumps with pale, whitish-green areas between, and has a bitter taste. Some
varieties of small, later fruits have a pale greenish-white appearance.

Control:

1.  Remove all infected vines.

2.  Remove wild cucumber vines, milkweed, and other susceptible weed hosts to
within 1,000 feet of the field if possible.

3.  Control aphids by spraying or dusting.

4.  In slicing cucumber varieties, `Niagara' is resistant. There is also some
tolerance to the virus in the following hybrids--`Burpee', `Surecrop',
`Gemini', `Marketmore', and `Sensation'. For pickling cucumbers, the varieties
`Calypso', `Picklemech', `Express', `MR-17', `SMR-18', `SMR-58', and `Pioneer'
have high tolerance and are recommended for planting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- NEMATODE (Root-Knot)

See Tomato--Nematode (Root-Knot) for a further description of cause and
symptoms.

Control: Mocap 10E (20 lb/A) or Mocap EC (1 to 1.5 qt/A) in a band 12 to 15
inches wide on the row at or just before planting.  Do not use a seed furrow
treatment.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- POWDERY MILDEW

Cause: A fungus, Erysiphe cichoracearum.

Symptoms: At first tiny, white superficial spots appear on the leaves and
stem. The spots become powdery white and expand to cover all portions of the
plant. Sometimes the mycelium becomes covered with small black spots about the
size of a pinhead. Usually the disease occurs in scattered spots in the field.

Control: A 2-year rotation out of cucurbits is helpful. The varieties `Dasher
II', `Turbo', `Calypso', `Cross Country', `Flurry', `Royal', `Regal', `Quest', 
`Cherokee', `Marketmore', and `Pioneer' are resistant to powdery mildew.
Usually the disease is not severe enough to warrant a spray program. Under
greenhouse conditions sulfur dust, Benlate, or wettable sulfur will control
the disease. CAUTION-- Sulfur can cause injury to cucumbers, especially when
temperature exceeds 85 F. Benlate may be used as a field spray.

Benlate Warning: Resistant strains of many fungus pathogens have become
troublesome when Benlate is used exclusively in a spray schedule. To reduce
the possibility of Benlate resistance, alternate Benlate sprays with sprays of
non-benzimitazole fungicides.

Field Spray -- Bayleton 50 WP or 50 DF.  Apply 2 to 4 oz/A in a minimum of 10
gal of water by ground or 5 gal of water by air.  Begin when disease first
appears and repeat at 14-day intervals.  Do not apply more than 16 oz of
Bayleton 50 WP or 50 DF per season.  Bayleton will not give control of
Sphaeroteca fuliginea. 

Residues: Benlate--0.125 to .250 lb ai/A ground application only.  Tolerance
1.0 ppm. Limitation 0.250 lb ai/A. No time limits.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- ROOT ROT

See Squash--Root Rot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- SCAB

Cause: A fungus, Cladosporium cucumerinum, which overwinters in cucumber
debris, in cracks of greenhouses, and on the seed.

Symptoms: The fungus causes severe injury on the fruit, which can be infected
at all stages of growth, but which is particularly susceptible while young. At
first a sticky substance is exuded in drops as if the trouble were the result
of an insect puncture. Spots then gradually turn gray, become slightly sunken,
and enlarge to about  inch in diameter. The canker gradually grows darker and
the tissue collapses further into the cucumber until a pronounced cavity is
formed, which is lined with a dark-green velvety layer of the fruiting fungus.

The first symptom on foliage is the appearance of a slightly water-soaked
paler-green area between the veins, as well as on them. These spots usually
are numerous. Gradually the spots turn gray to white and become angular. The
fine veinlets in the spots may remain brown or tan and are distinct against
the white background. The dead tissue cracks, breaking away until the whole
leaf has a ragged appearance.

The spores are disseminated by insects, clothing, tools, and are blown long
distances in moist air. Host penetration takes place in less than 9 hours
following germination and visible infection in 3 days. Spore production may
occur on the fourth day.

Control: Use resistant varieties whenever available. Scab-resistant varieties
have been developed and include `Dasher II', `Raider', `Encore', `Sprint',
`Poinsett 76', `Turbo', `Regal', `Flurry', `Calypso', `Quest', `Gemini',
`Marketmore', `Pioneer', `SMR-58', and `SMR-18'. Commercial growers should
consult processors for the resistant varieties to be grown.

Spray -- 2 to 3 pt. of Bravo 720.  Bravo may be applied through overhead
irrigation.  See label for directions.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- SEED TREATMENT

Aids in control of seed decay and damping-off.

Thiram--0.75 of 50 percent material/lb of seed.  Do not apply more than 2.25
oz actual/100 lb of seed (dry or slurry). Considered to be a nonfood use.

Captan .7 to 1.6 oz ai (slurry) or 1.5 to 2.25 oz ai (dry)/100 lb of seed.
Considered to be a nonfood use.

Apron FL 1.5 fl oz/cwt seed.  

Anchor at 1.5 fl oz/cwt seed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUCUMBER -- WHITE MOLD

Cause: Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, a fungus.

White mold is a widespread but relatively unimportant disease of cucumbers
grown in the field, but it has caused severe losses of vines and fruit grown
in greenhouses.

Symptoms: This disease occurs primarily as a stem blight or as a fruit rot.
Older vines are most often affected. Following the development of the white
cottony mold, the stem dries and becomes withered, and the small sclerotia
appear in the rotting tissues. Cucumber fruits affected are watery, soft, and
later develop sclerotia.

Control:

1.  Rotate crops and deep plow to bury sclerotia.

2.  Remove infected vines and fruit from the field and destroy.
______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________

         ---------------------------------------------------
         ---------------------------------------------------
         This  information was adapted  by the Oregon  State 
         University   Extension  Service  from  Oregon   and 
         Pacific  NW publications as well as other vegetable 
         production   guidelines  from  public  institutions 
         in  the  U.S.  and  Canada.  These  guidelines  are 
         intended  as a general guide for Oregon  commercial 
         vegetable producers.  Address comments or questions 
         to  your  County  Extension  Agent  or  Dr.  N.  S. 
         Mansour,  Department of Horticulture,  Oregon State 
         University, Corvallis, OR 9733l. 
         ---------------------------------------------------