Subject: Reel lawnmower for tall fescue??

From: [email-masked] (Steve Aud P205)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 16:24:36 GMT

First, I'm sorry to bring this topic up again.

I've found that I prefer mowing with a reel lawn mower, but I'm having
trouble locating one which cuts within the recommended height range of
tall fescue (2.5 to 4 inches or 6.25 - 10 cm).   Most that I've found 
have a maximum cutting height of 2.25 inches (5.6 cm).

I've tried:

   local sources,
   used sources,
   A.M. Leonard,
   Smith & Hawken,
   Pinetree Garden Seeds,
   National Gardening Company,
   American Lawnmower/Great States

and others to no avail.  American Lawnmower distributes a model under the
Scotts name which has a maximum cutting height of 3 inches (7.5 cm), but
that's the maximum cutting height I've been able to locate so far.

I'm willing to consider non US distributors for quality equipment if
necessary.

Please post or e-mail [email-masked], my grass is growing fast!

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary V. Deutschmann Sr.)
Date: 25 Mar 1995 04:13:04 GMT

I would get the American Lae wnmower, and replace the 10 inch wheels with
14 inch wheels, and then move the roller back and down using a steel angle
ber  racket.

I in  in  know thats not what you had in mi mind, but it
will do the trick for under 100 m bucks...

Gary

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Offiler)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 13:23:42

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Gary V. Deutschmann Sr.) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Gary V. Deutschmann Sr.)
>Subject: Re: Reel lawnmower for tall fescue??
>Date: 25 Mar 1995 04:13:04 GMT

>I would get the American Lawnmower, and replace the 10 inch wheels with
>bracket.

>I know thats not what you had in mind, but it
>will do the trick for under 100 bucks...

>Gary

Replacing the wheels might not be as easy as it sounds above.  The reel 
lawnmowers I've taken apart all have a large gear on the back which is an 
integral element of the hub of the wheel.  This gear is what drives the reel.