Subject: shady window boxes

From: [email-masked] (Laurie Cousart)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 16:56:05 GMT

I've got a nice window box outside my dining room window here in the
Philadelphia suburbs, but its shady most of the day.  Any ideas for what
to plant in this box in spring,summer, winter, fall --or better yet,
perennials?  I'm really TIRED of impatients and would love to try
something new or new combinations.  

thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (AndreaK803)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 19:09:57 -0500

Hi,
    My mom used to plant caladiums with a few ferns and varigated vines
mixed in.  When she was feeling cheap she would plant coleus instead of
caladiums.  The green and white caladiums will kind of glow at
twilight-lovely.  And I think you can dig them up in the fall and replant
in spring which would make them affordable.  Yrs, Andrea

---

From: Marla Brunker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 95 17:51:02 -0500

>something new or new combinations.  
 
	I have a very small North-facing terrace in Manhattan. Last year
I had a lot of luck with mint (which died over the winter) and plain ivy
(which is still with us) and dianthus (which hung in there MUCH longer
than I would have expected). This year I'm trying lobelia, godetia, and
forget-me-nots, because the seed catalogues say they do okay in the shade.
Also allyssum and morning-glories because, hey, seeds are cheap.
	...which is a good thing, because I've no idea how any of these
will turn out.

---

From: Marla Brunker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 95 17:51:02 -0500