Subject: Re: garden+dog=yikes!

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 17:04:32 GMT

Walter - hello - I have two hunters a Rollicking Irish Setter and a
Golden Retriever.  Obvisously you have never had a dog with the
personality of an Irish Setter!!!  The golden will do whatever we
want from him get the newspaper, rollover heel etc etc etc.  The
Rollicking Irish Setter has a definite personality all her own. 
She will actually turn down treats, when she does not want to do
something!!!  Punishment does not care!!!  She is willful and
obstinate!!!  However, there is no better looking dog, and no dog
with more character than the gentlemans Irish Setter.  By the way
the only dog to make the front page obituaries of the New York
times,  the only other animal was Man O War. 

So would training work for an Irish Setter yes and no.  Yes if I
wanted to spend the time training her or gardening.  Since I
rather spend the time gardening the electric fence was put in. 
Which is nice since the butterflys and other animals "know" the
fence is there and they sit right on the edge of it so the setter
can see them but cant get to them!!! 

Like I said before dogs have certain purposes.  If you get a dog
that is not a hunter and more a lap dog than it will be easier for
you to train them to stay out of the garden as their natural
instincts to hunt birds and butterflys is not there. 

Again if it were not for the butterflys and birds I know we could
keep them out of the garden, but we like to leave them outside in
nice weather so it is difficult to keep them out.