Subject: wanted - tiller recommendations

From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Mar 95 18:34:15 CDT

Does anyone have any experience with any of the 'off name' (not Troy-Bilt) rear
tine tillers?  I am considering purchasing a tiller, but the Troy-Bilts are out
of my price range.  Some of the others I have seen are Sears, MTD, Weed-Eater.
Can anyone recommend one of these brands?

Also, Has anyone ever used a wheel hoe?  I remember my grandfather using one
when I was a little kid and I was wondering how well they work.  I have seen
one advertised in Organic Gardening and also gave some consideration to buying
one and using it in conjunction with a mini-tiller.  Is this a reasonable
option?

Any help/information will be appreciated.

Thanks

John Kuhn

---

From: Steve Roys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:45:42 -0500

On 14 Mar 1995 [email-masked] wrote:

> of my price range.

If you're not against buying a used tiller, Troy-Bilt is not necessarily 
out of your range.  I bought an old (but still perfectly working) "Horse" 
model for $250 about 6 years ago.  Since then I've changed the spark 
plugs a few times and replaced the tines once, but nothing else.

Before that I had a small front-tine tiller (and a much smaller 
garden).   The first time I used my "new" rear-tine tiller, I thought I 
had died and gone to heaven!  It's so much fun that my wife is afraid to 
leave me alone in the spring...she never knows when she'll come home and 
find another chunk of lawn replaced by perennials.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Birkeland)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 21:39:59 GMT

>plugs a few times and replaced the tines once, but nothing else.

I just bought a used 8 hp Troy-Bilt "Horse" for $450 from a rental place.  The
Wisconsin Engine purrs like a kitten, and it is a joy to use.

Try calling a few rental places and see what they have used.  You might be
surprised.

---
Joel Birkeland         Idle hands is the devil's phonebooth.  So hang up now.