Subject: Help with new garden/gardener

From: [email-masked] (Rose Ann Hunter)
Date: 26 Mar 1995 09:10:06 -0500

My first entry so patience please.  Im in Zone 5a Canada and my house faces 
north, half way down a windy hill.  I look out onto an empty lot across the 
street (yuk).  I'd like to plant a perennial border in my front yard, just 
in far enough from the sidewalk so the sidewalk snowplough won't damage the 
plants in winter.  My question is has anyone done this successfully without 
dog urine killing/damaging the plants?  In this area, all I see are gardens 
either fenced in or there are shrubs, trees or large rocks as the focal 
points in the garden (for 'protection' I presume).  I'd like to plant 
Artemisia "Silver King" and Purple Coneflower and maybe Cosmos "Psyche" in 
the garden but I'm wondering if I'd be better to wait until we can afford a 
fence.  Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.  This 
neighbourhood has lots of dogs (we have a Bichon Frise) - and lots of cats 
but that's another story!
Must say I love reading the messages in this newsgroup - you helped me get 
through this winter!

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Bonner)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 06:58:54 GMT

>Must say I love reading the messages in this newsgroup - you helped me get 

Go for it.  It's probably unlikely the dogs can kill all your plants. Also a 
fence will not stop the salt from the road anyway.  Keep a lot of room between 
your plants and the dogs will walk through and miss the plants when they do 
their thing.  If you still have a problem with dogs plant some Monk's Hood. ;-)
*****************************************************************************
>From each according to their abilities.
To each according to their needs.
                                          [email-masked]
*****************************************************************************