Subject: Horse manure and Straw/wood chips

From: [email-masked] (Doug Wedding)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:00:14 GMT

I have a choice, which should I choose for my flower garden?

small 1-2 inch wood chips with horse manure

or 

straw (not many weed seeds) and horse manure.
Standard High-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING  in the above article has the slightest
relationship to reality. If any reality correspondences are found, please
notify me IMMEDIATELY. Any threats, abuse or stupidity of any kind is purely
UNintentional. These are MY Opinions NOT my employer's.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 21:38:08 -0600

> straw (not many weed seeds) and horse manure.

Is this material composted or "fresh"?  And do you intend to 
compost it and incorporate it into the beds, or use it as mulch?

If it's composted, and the compost heated properly, I'd take 
either.  If it didn't, I'd take the chips + manure.  If it's
fresh, I'd take either or both, and compost it.

By the time it's composted, it's not going to be suitable for mulch,
but will make a terrific soil amendment.  If you intend to use
it as mulch, know that fresh manure, and bedding soaked in urine,
is "lively" enough to burn most plants.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Mar 95 21:38:08 -0600