Subject: RE: Tomatoe Carnage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 95 06:09:02 GMT

[email-masked] (QTSINC) writes:
>I need some advice from the tomatoe growing experts out there.  I had a
>couple dozen or more Early Girl plants that were thriving here in Tucson
>due to the unusually warm weather we had been experiencing.  Each plant
>was 2 ft high (planted in old horse trough container and on drip).  We
>were hit with freezing temps on Sat. night and (despite covering the
>plants) they got hit badly and don' t look well at all.  My question is
>this - the "trunk" of each plant (as well as some of the lower leaves and
>flowers on each plant) and still healthy but the upper leaves/flowers are
>awful.  Can I prune away the dead stuff and continue to nuture the plants
>or should I just yank them and start over again.  Advice appreciated.

	The plants may recover, but will never be the same.  If the 
	temps only got to 31-32, then they probably aren't dead, but
	will need much care to resume their normal growth, and it may
	come too late in the season (even in Tuscon).  I'd think you'd
	get some fruit, but you'd probably be better starting over.
	Try leaving a few and replacing the rest and reporting back
	later on the results if you've got the space and inclination.

Mike