Subject: Re: Questions from novice

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:13:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, jack paul ([email-masked]) writes:
>Hi!  I'm a relatively new gardener (4 years).  I live in
>mid-eastern Pa. (zone 6) on a large wooded lot (7 acres).
>I have a few questions:
>
>
>1.  We intend to leave most of the property untouched?.  However any
>suggestions for perennials or bulbs (easy care) for naturalizing. 
>Also any suggestions for same in informal gardens near house?
>Ferns, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, vinca do well here.  I'd like some color.
>House is sort of a cottage style.

Well you need to get some books on shade gardening and bulbs.  I
have over 500 daffodils and they look real nice in the beginning
of spring but then there gone!  Coleos is real nice shade annual as
well as hostas  
>
>2.  Nothing gets all day sun here, but vegetable garden is in the
>sunniest area (about 6 hours).  My peppers did great the first
>year I gardened, I just plopped them in the soil and they grew. 
>Since then, I haven't had good luck.  I've fertilized, etc, but
>they haven't done well.  Was it just beginners luck the first
>year, or did I screw things up by trying to inprove (clay) the soil
>and add fertizier.
>
Peppers need no fertlization if you fertilize them they will grow
and you will get no peppers so stop fertilizing them!!!!

>3.  What does 'row run' or is it 'run row' mean in garden
>catalogs?.  It seems to be used in relation to perennials or other
>plants. 
>
Dont know i have never seen it.

>4.  I also have a herb garden in my second most sunniest spot (4-5
>hours).  Some herbs do great, others not so well.  Any suggestions?
>I love basil and thyme.  I moved the basil to the veg garden and
>it did better.  Can I do this with thyme since its perennial?
Again get a shade book that covers herbs in the shade.  If you
plant the right thing in the right place it will live if not then
it wont!!!

>5.  I'd like to try some native plants like azaleas, blue bells,
>etc. Any suggestions for sources of native plants for this area.?
Well look in the yellow pages for your local gardens, or the
easiest is to find someone with alot of azaleas or rhodos knock on
their door and ask them where they got their plants.  I find that
the local garden centers charge a little more but have better
quality plants.

>
>6.  Any suggestions for controlling my enthusiasm?  I tend to 'bite
>off more than I can chew'.  By midsummer, my gardens are a mess
>because I don't have the time to manage them (full-time career, kids,
>house, PTA, etc).  Still I want to chop down trees for more
>sunlight and more gardens!
Yes develop a plan just going and doing on a small lot is fine but
on a large lot is a disastor becuase nothing gets "done"  I have
an acre so I know how you feel.  But sit down do a landscape plan
if just in general and work that part of the plan.  Flower beds,
natural area, shrub area, tree area etc. etc.  It will save you
time and money as well becuase you will not be moving stuff around
becuase it now looks out of place.
 
>
>I would appreciate any advice, opinions or suggestions.  It would
>be especially good to hear from someone with similiar growing
>conditions.  E-mail me or post if you feel the discussion would
>interest other.  Thanks in advance.   Linda 
>
>Jack Paul
>Hereford, Pa. USA
>[email-masked]‡
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Dick Gilman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:13:46 GMT

---

From: Simon Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 20:13:16 -0700

Try looking at Henry W. Art's A Garden of Wildflowers. Excellent 
illustrations, shows native plants and their regions, also gives 
suggestions as to companion planting.

---

From: Simon Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 20:13:16 -0700