Subject: Newspaper in Compost Pile?

From: WALKEM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:55:28 GMT

Reduce, reuse, recycle...

Any thoughts on whether shredded newspaper would add any value to a compost
pile?  How long until it breaks down?  I've heard of using newspaper sheets as
mulch to block weeds, and that it breaks down after a while, so I wondered if
it would work as compost.

Thanks, 

Matt
==================================================

All opinions expressed here have nothing whatsoever to do 
with anything espoused by AT&T!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 Mar 95 00:18:31 -0600

> it would work as compost.

Works fine in compost.  Consider it the equivalent of dry leaves.  Both
are mostly cellulose.

Shredded, torn, or crumpled newspapers will break down much more quickly
than newspapers piled in flat.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]