Subject: Re: Germination of Maple tree seed

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bailey)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 22:41:05 GMT

Seeds of the maple, as a number of tree seeds, need to be stratified. This is a
process during which the seed takes up moisture and overcomes the embryo
dormancy. For this to occur, a number of conditions must be met
	a) The seed is capable of taking up moisture
	b) A supply of moisture
	c) oxygen in small quantities
	d) temperature
	e) time
Not all seeds nead to worry about a). But for something like the coffee bean tree
which has a very hard seed caot, it must be penetrated first before stratification
This is called scarification.
Moisture is usually supplied by mixing the seed with equal quantities of moist
sand or peat. This will be placed into a plastic bag that is tied but not sealed.
For a small amount of seed and a large bag this probably would not matter. They
should then be put in the refridgerator, not freezer, at about 34-40F. The time
period varies, but is normally about 3 months. The seed can then be sown.

-- 
Brian Bailey
Oregon City. Zone 7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts are sometimes my own. Other times someone says they own them,
			    and I have no rights.