Subject: Re: 1994 SEEDS

From: [email-masked] (Jen Mayer)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 23:33:00 GMT

HH> I have several packets of seeds which say "Packaged for 1994'. Can I
HH> use these or should I buy new ones?

Why don't you germinate them in a jar in wet paper towels for a few days 
to see if they're going to sprout? Then you'll know. Seeds will last for 
a few years (or more) if they're kept in reasonable conditions. 

 * RM 1.3 01256 * Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

---

From: [email-masked] (Natasha Elizabeth Dehn)
Date: 9 Mar 1995 23:15:09 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

: Group,

: I have several packets of seeds which say "Packaged for 1994'. Can I use
: these or should I buy new ones?

heck, '94 is fresh compared to some of the seeds I've planted this year!

: I have:

: Tomato  ---no problem.  planted seeds several years old many times.
: Squash ----also seems to work fine.
: Onion ---don't know about this one.
: Pumpkin ---should be same as squash.
: Corn---? should be ok.
: Wax Bean---no problem--done it many a time!

: Thanks,

: Paul

Seriously, you may have a slightly lower germination rate, but unless you 
stored the seeds in a sauna, they should be fine for at least the first 
year.  Viability in extended storage does vary by type--Organic Gardening 
published a chart sometime within the last few years, but my copies are in 
storage, so I can't be more specific than that...maybe someone else can?
Natasha

---

From: [email-masked] (Gene Haldas)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 22:26:10 GMT

: I have:

: Tomato
: Squash
: Onion
: Pumpkin
: Corn
: Wax Bean

: Thanks,

: Paul

We have had success with seeds old as 8 years. The only thing
might be a lower germination rate.
--

---

From: Wayne Weichel <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:30:20 GMT

> : these or should I buy new ones?

I don't think you'll have any problems with last year's seeds, unless they were
stored in a damp environment.  The percentage that will sprout will decrease
each year, but I've seen almost no loss with 1 year old seeds, even when just
left in the garage.

To get maximum life from seeds, I store them in a sealed glass jar in the
refrigerator, each type in its own paper envelope.  Also in the jar I put a
tablespoon of powdered milk wrapped in tissue, to absorb moisture.  Works for
me.

Good gardenning,

Wayne

---

From: Wayne Weichel <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 23:30:20 GMT

Good gardenning,

Wayne