Subject: Re: Lemongrass

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Apr 95 10:51:50 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mr Clean) writes:
>    
> 
>    Does anyone Have any info on where I can get a lemongrass plant?  I
> want to do some Thai cooking!

I get my lemongrass supply from Asian grocery stores.  They usually have fresh
ones all year round.  If you put it in water it will sprout within couple of weeks
and ready for planting in the Spring or Summer.  It likes a lot of sun, however.

Good Luck!
SS

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Apr 95 10:51:50 -0400

Good Luck!
SS

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Apr 95 10:51:50 -0400

Good Luck!
SS

---

From: [email-masked] (Mr Clean)
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 1995 21:10:28 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Boake)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 12:16 EST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Sylvia Teasdale) writes...

>In a previous posting, Mr Clean ([email-masked]) writes:
>>    
>> 

Check out your local supermarket or Asian grocery store.  Even here
in Knoxville, both kinds of places sell fresh lemongrass, for about
$2.99/lb.  Buy 4 or 5 stems (should set you back about $0.75), get
ones which look green and not too dried-out (the same kind you would
cook with).  Treat the stems like cut flowers:  cut off the base and 
the outside dead leaves, so that what is left looks alive.  Stick it
in water, or directly into dirt.  I treated some that way about 3
weeks ago, and by yesterday they had roots 1-2" long.  I have begun
all my lemongrass plants from grocery store starts.  
  By midsummer you will have a thick clump, and if it overwinters you
will need a large garden fork to dig it out.  They are not exactly
invasive in my climate, but given a few mild winters, there would not
be much room for anything else for a foot or so in all directions
from the original stem.
  If you grow lemongrass indoors, your cats will probably chew on it.
They like it as much as spider plants.
--Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Boake)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 12:16 EST

---

From: [email-masked] (Sylvia Teasdale)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 13:31:59 GMT

> want to do some Thai cooking!

Richter's Herb Catalogue 1995 p.40 lists lemongrass for sale. It is
available as a plant as well as in seed form. The plant costs $6 and is a
tender perennial.They are on the Internet. For information, the address is
[email-masked] and for ordering, the address is
[email-masked] order number for the lemongrass plant is p3680.
Hope this helps.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sylvia Teasdale)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 13:31:59 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Mr Clean)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 13:06:58 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> [email-masked] order number for the lemongrass plant is p3680.

Thanks!