Subject: Re: Ivy...Poinsonous and otherwise

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 95 11:08:32 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Audrey Michael) writes:
> Our neighbor to the rear has the portion of his yard which borders mine 
> planted with dense ivy (english, I think).  There is also poison ivy 
> growing in it.  I plan to erect fencing between our yards this summer but 
> I would like to keep his ivy on his side of the fence.
> Any suggestions on what type of fencing or other strategies I can use to 
> keep the ivy out?  It is very vigorous.  
> I can't plant anythig in that area because it is soon taken over by the 
> ivy.

In most communities, there are laws that address the issue of gardens
and neighbors.  For the most part, the following are generally
part of the laws:

1) You may not change the water runoff patterns in your yard such that
you then dump your water into someone else's property

2) You may not garden in a way that substantially interferes with 
someone else's right to enjoy their property (e.g., I can't grow
poison ivy on the fence that separates my property from the neighbor's
swimming pool and deck)

3) Any intrusion of vegetation from your neighbor's property to yours
can be removed.  You can harvest apples from the limbs that overhang
your property, or you can cut the limbs back to the property line.
You can also force the neighbor to prune the tree.

4) There are laws called "noxious weed laws" on the books.  Poison ivy
may well be on your community's list.  If so, the neighbor can be legally
required to remove it.

I'd suggest talking to your neighbor first, and explaining to him
what he's got, and how it's making you unhappy, and what you'd
like to see done about it (keep his plants on his side of the fence).
See what you can work out between you.  He may be willing to remove
the ivy (he just may not know how), or pay for a gardening service to
come weed your bed each week, or pay for a proper barrier between
the properties, or.....

As for removing the ivy, either PI or English, I'd suggest repeated
applications of glyphosate (roundup) with a spreader-sticker to
penetrate the waxy cuticle of the English ivy.  I've not had to
deal with containing English ivy, but a 4" thick concrete wall,
sunk down to permafrost, and topped with a vat of glyphosate, might
be able to do it!  ;-)

Kay (most definitely not a lawyer!) Klier       [email-masked]