Subject: Re: Best non burning lawn fertlzer

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 19:44:55 GMT

>Are there any fertlizer that wont burn? Every time i use it on the 
>grass I usaally have a small patch that is brown.  Are the name brands
>any good then the cheap store name brands?

On the topic of lawn fertilizing and ferilizer burn.

I find that a good fertilizer spreader will do wonders for me.
I usually feed with 15-20 and have no problems.

For those who want to be safe and have a no risk lawn feeding,
I usually suggest a slow release fertilizer with iron and other
micro nutrients.

But if you do not want to pay the exhorbitant price for cadilac
fertilizers, get the cheap stuff and get a good cyclone spreader.

Derryl Killan
Hort Tech
Calgary AB.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:33:18 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Joseph Zupko) writes: 

>thank you
>####
>-- 
>We can not have a cafeteria type democracy(freedom).
>

First, fertilize in the fall, not in the spring.  Second, use
composted manure -- it will not burn.

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 21:03:45 -0600

> any good then the cheap store name brands?

Any fertilizer will burn if you get too much in one spot.  Sounds like
you need a better fertilizer spreader.  Try setting it to deliver half
as much as you need, waiting a week or so, then spreading the other
half.

I usually use the cheapest granular fertilizer I can get, which can
be dusty, and may not have quite as much of a uniform particle size
as the "name brands".  On the other hand, the cheap stuff and the name
brand may differ only in price and the name on the bag.

I don't own a fertilizer spreader.  I broadcast fertilizer by hand,
usually making 3 passes to do it:  sort of a horizontal, vertical, then
diagonal pattern.  Never have burned the lawn.  My mother, on the
other hand, buys the name brand fertilizer and has a cranky old
spreader that inevitably dumps a pile of fertilizer in the grass
some place, burning it.  Plus, you can see where the straight lines
don't quite meet, or overlap... this isn't a problem with my non-
straight-method of hand broadcasting fertilizer.

BTW, if I were to buy a spreader, it would probably by a Whirlibird
type.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 19:44:55 GMT

Derryl Killan
Hort Tech
Calgary AB.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:33:18 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 21:03:45 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (killand)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 19:44:55 GMT

Derryl Killan
Hort Tech
Calgary AB.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Owens)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 07:33:18 GMT

Chris Owens

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Apr 95 21:03:45 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Zupko)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 14:48:31 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (BillH1108)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 10:54:33 -0400

There is a fertilizer which is in common use on golf courses especially on
the golf greens. It is called Milorganite. I have seen it in a few garden
supply centers, but it is not commonly known to home gardener. It is made
by the Milwaukee Sewerage Commission. Golf courses buy enormous quantities
of it in 50 lb. bags. It is mainly composed of the residue from the
Milwaukee brewing industry. 
I'm sure if you contact the Milwaukee Sewerage Commission, they will send
you info. I think the stuff is a little pricey. The other advice you got
here about composting and strictly measured applications of chemical
fertilizers should be considered.
                                                       Peace,
                                                             Bill Hansbury

---

From: [email-masked] (BillH1108)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 10:54:33 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (BillH1108)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 10:54:33 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Johnson)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 1995 02:19:32 GMT

Joseph Zupko ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Are there any fertlizer that wont burn? Every time i use it on the 
: grass I usaally have a small patch that is brown.  Are the name brands
: any good then the cheap store name brands?
: thank you
 
Any organic or slow release fertilizer will do. Milorganite is good, but 
is not a complete fertilizer(6-2-0), and needs to be supplememted with a
0-0-50 or similar potassium fertilizer. Espoma Organic Lawn Food or Nature's
Best are more complete organic fertilizers. Turf Assurance is a reliable 
slow-release chemical fertilizer. Using a broadcast rather than a drop 
spreader helps as well, since they tend to distribute more evenly and 
dump less.
                                      John DeMarce

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Johnson)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 1995 02:19:32 GMT