Subject: Platycerium bifurcatum questions

From: [email-masked] (Richard Campbell)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 14:59:20 GMT

I have always liked the look of the Staghorn Fern and recently much to
my surprise found one at Target.  Of course it's a small specimen and
it wasn't doing too well, in fact I'd wager it would be dead by now had I not
rescued it (I just couldn't stand the thought of that poor little fern dying there).
Originally it had three fronds, but one fell off within the first few days.
It was just hanging on.  I do know that they don't like to dry out but the 
Target folks had let it get bone dry, in fact I didn't rescue it until a week later
when I came upon it again and found it bone dry for a second time.
Finally it's starting to perk up,  New fronds are appearing and a couple of the
shields (?) too, which it didn't have before.  It's currently in the small 4" pot
with your standard potting soil that it came from the store in.

   I know that this plant should be placed on a piece of tree bark.  The first
question is how old (or big) should it be when I do this?  Second, how
do I put it on the bark (bareroot it?, wire?, leave any soil?)?  Third, is there
any particular time of year best for this?  And lastly, where the heck do you
buy bark anyway (or can it be attached to anything other than bark, like
coconut mat, which I know I can find)?   I'm pretty ignorant on this
plant but haven't seen much in the books to help me out.  

   It's for a good cause.  Save the Staghorn!

-- 
Rich Campbell
[email-masked]