Subject: Re: Master Gardener programs

From: [email-masked] (Maja Grip)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 95 13:08:31 -0800

I'm with Marion Margoshes: being a master gardener is tremendously
rewarding, and well worth the time we put in (here at VanDusen Botanical
Gardens in Vancouver, each MG must put in a certain number of advice,
education and other volunteer hours to remain certified; though some do
only the minimum, many other people put in hundreds of hours each year.
        I enjoy the clinics, which are held at public gardens, the annual
exhibition, nurseries, seniors' centres, correctional institutes and many
other places. I learn just as much as I teach at every clinic, too.
        The training program is thorough and students must pass with very
high marks to become certified. VanDusen is a great place to train, as
Vancouver has a maritime climate (Canadian zone 8) and plants from all over
the world thrive here.
        Personally, I'd encourage any fairly knowledgeable gardener to
consider undertaking the master gardener program. If you don't have the
time to put in the required volunteer hours, though, or have only minimal
gardening knowledge and are really just interested in learning more for the
sake of your own garden, maybe it's better to consider taking a suitable
how-to course.
        Master gardeners are very popular up here, and I believe we perform
a valuable community service. And you know, all this learning hasn't
exactly hurt my garden...

Maja Grip