Subject: EDIBLE: Growing Habaneros

From: [email-masked] (Hortvet, Douglas Richard)
Date: 26 May 1995 12:36 CDT

I have for the first time started to grow habanero peppers from seed.  The small
plants are approx. 2-3" tall in 4" plastic pots, and appear to be doing OK.  
The various sources researched for detailed instructions on 'How To' grow these
leave me with the following questions: Note - for climate reference, I am in 
the Houston area.

	1. At what stage of growth should one begin to pinch leaves, how many 
	   and should these be removed from the top or bottom of the plant? 

	2. What plant food works the best, i.e. brand, N-P-K range, 
	   concentration, and frequency of application?

	3. What insecticide or organic means of keeping pests away is 
	   preferred? 

	4. These are being grown in pots, what is the best size pot to use 
	   to adequately accomodate a mature plant?  Would it be advisable to
	   plant in the ground?

	5. How big can these plants get, and how long after the seedlings come
	   up can one expect to have peppers?

	6. Is there any regimen that promotes a hotter pepper?  I read that 
	   stress on the plant, i.e. over-watering followed by under-watering, 
	   can promote hotter peppers.

As evidenced by the above questions, my gardening knowledge is very limited.

Any and all comments will be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Doug Hortvet, Jr.

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynn Edwards)
Date: 26 May 1995 20:04:19 -0700

Hortvet, Douglas Richard ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have for the first time started to grow habanero peppers from seed.  The 
: small plants are approx. 2-3" tall in 4" plastic pots, and appear to be 
: doing OK...
:
: 1. At what stage of growth should one begin to pinch leaves, how many 
:    and should these be removed from the top or bottom of the plant? 

I've read about pepper pruning increasing yield, but I've never tried 
it.  I've had good luck just leaving the plant alone to grow as it 
pleases.  

: 2. What plant food works the best, i.e. brand, N-P-K range, 
:    concentration, and frequency of application?

I use a slow release 20,20,20 (the cheap stuff) at transplant time, and 
then again in early august.  Don't use too much fertilizer or low pepper 
production will result.

: 3. What insecticide or organic means of keeping pests away is 
:    preferred?

The kinds and severity of pest problems are a local issue.  In my garden 
the only major pest problems I've had are aphids (seedlings only, early 
spring, and in the greenhouse), Snails/Slugs (spring and fall).

Occasionally I've had problems with earwigs in the early spring eating 
seedlings, and tomato/tobacco hornworms in the summer.  

: 4. These are being grown in pots, what is the best size pot to use 
:    to adequately accomodate a mature plant?  Would it be advisable to
:    plant in the ground?

Don't know, but for the first time I'm trying some Hab's in pots also.  
Mine are in 3 to 5 gallon pots (and about ten more in the ground).  
Supposedly Hab's don't overwinter well inside under lights, but I'm going 
to try it anyway. 

: 5. How big can these plants get, and how long after the seedlings come
:    up can one expect to have peppers?

Two and a half feet tall (in the ground).  Here in northern california I 
don't get Hab's until mid august, with the last peppers being around mid 
october.  Fortunately, the peppers dry well to last through to the next 
year.  

: 6. Is there any regimen that promotes a hotter pepper?  I read that 
:    stress on the plant, i.e. over-watering followed by under-watering, 
:    can promote hotter peppers.

Time.  Early peppers will be milder (but still very hot compared to what 
most envision as hot).  I baby my plants and still get many gut wrenchers 
every year.

---Lynn Edwards
   Los Altos, California, USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Gerland)
Date: 29 May 1995 05:44:00 GMT

Hortvet, Douglas Richard ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have for the first time started to grow habanero peppers from seed.  The small
: plants are approx. 2-3" tall in 4" plastic pots, and appear to be doing OK.  
: The various sources researched for detailed instructions on 'How To' grow these
: leave me with the following questions: Note - for climate reference, I am in 
: the Houston area.

	I have never pinched one back at it's early stages of growth.
	You can pinch off the top couple of leaves after the plant is
	several inches tall if you want a bushier plant.

	Fish emulsion has worked well for me.  Apply it at the early
	stages of growth to help the plant grow faster.  I don't use
	any fertilizer at all after the plant has started setting
	fruit.

	I used to spray stuff, but I don't anymore.  Usually the birds
	take care of any bug problems.  Here in Phoenix we get whiteflys
	in the summer, but there's not much can be done about them anyway.

	I have had good success growing habs indoors, and also overwintering
	an already established plant to be set back out in the spring.
	However, they are much happier outdoors.

	Usually outdoor plants grow 2 to 3 feet.  I have one variety of red
	hab that is almost five feet tall now.  They mature slowly.  Usually
	takes 5 - 6 months for the first orange fruit.  These will grow as
	perrenials if there is no freeze over the winter.  I now have some
	plants going on their third year!

	I would like to know more about this myself...
	So far what I have found is the hotter the weather, the hotter
	the pepper.

: As evidenced by the above questions, my gardening knowledge is very limited.

: Any and all comments will be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

: Doug Hortvet, Jr. 

These are only my own experiences.  I, too am still learning.

	Steve