Subject: Re: Gardening software

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:32:50 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mary M.
Zashin) wrote:

> I would like to buy a software package that would help me organize my
> garden planning....  I use a
> PowerMac, System 7.5, and have a CD-rom also.  Any suggestions or reviews
> from the virtual gardening community (say, virtual gardening is a lot
> easier than double digging, isn't it?) would be greatly appreciated.

   Right now there are three programs available for the Mac; one from
Sunset Books, one from Better Homes etc., and I can't remember the other
one.  As you might expect the Sunset one is targeted for California but
>from  what I hear it's the best of the three.  I don't have any of these
myself, but the serious gardeners I've heard from are not particularly
happy with any of these.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney ---Opinions are mine---

---

From: Carol Bull <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Nov 1995 08:37:56 GMT

Flowerscape for Windows or MAC from PC Connections at 800-800-0011 for 
$49.95.  I haven't tried it.

4 MB RAM, 10 MB hard drive space.  Described as internationally acclaimed 
program.

Let us know what you find.

Carol    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Debbie)
Date: 12 Nov 1995 01:16:16 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
   [email-masked] (Mary M. Zashin) wrote:
>garden planning.  Right now I have a notebook (very retro) that is getting

>I'd like to be able to diagram my perennial beds and what's in them.  At
>the least I'd like to be able to list all my plants, where I got them,
>cultural information, and descriptions.  It would be nice to have some
>sort of plant encyclopedia included as well, plus some way to make
>experimental garden plans during the long, cold non-gardening months

I have just purchased LandDesigner Multi-media for Gardens from Green Thumb
Software.  I believe that this program does all the things that you mentioned. 

 I have a diagram (to scale) of my garden plots.  It has a library of plants. 
 And you can plan your garden and the eventual chages that you will make on a 
year by year basis.  I have not got much beyond diagraming my garden plots, 
and as far as how it stacks up against other programs, since I haven't tried 
them I can't give a comparison.  But I feel that I have gotten my moneys worth 
>from  this package.  I don't know if they have a MAC version but it might be 
worth looking into.  Or maybe someone else is more knowledgeable about this 
than I.

Good luck,
debbie