Subject: Re: Master Gardener programs

From: [email-masked] (Tammy Tatum)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 1995 17:58:32 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

... snip
> The instruction is good, but always keep in mind,
> this is a Government Agency. For every $1 worth of instruction you
> get, you pay $100 in taxes for the program.
> 
> I'd *love* to hear from other Master Gardeners. 
> Patty

I don't know how the Master Gardeners Program works in your part of the
country but the way it is set up here in San Diego it saves taxpayers
money and provides services that normal could not be offered because of
the cost.  The instruction is free (you only pay from material cost). But
for every hour of instruction you receive you must contribute an hour of
community service. This community service take the form of answer folks
questions on the phone, giving presentations at community groups, teaching
seminars, plant show, etc.. So the first year you are a Master Gardener
you must donate 50 hours of your time to the community in exchange for the
the 50 hours of instruction you received. To remain active in the program
an additional 25 hours per year of community service and at least 6 hours
of continuing education is required. This mean our Agricultural Extension
can provide all kinds of services that they would not normally be able to
provide the citizens of our county (there just isn't the money to pay that
many agricultural agents). I think it is quite a deal for both the
taxpayer receiving the service and the fortunate few selected as Master
Gardeners.

Tammy 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Marion Margoshes)
Date: 9 Nov 1995 17:34:02 -0500

In <[email-masked]> martin kosiak <[email-masked]> writes:

>[email-masked] (Marion Margoshes) wrote:
>>In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Patricia Schwalm) writes:
>>
>>>Lisa M D Innocenzo ([email-masked]) wrote:
>>>: I'm intrigued by the idea of going through a Master Gardener program, and 
>>>: am wondering if anyone out there has experience with them. I am a RANK 
>>>: amateur (couldn't even get a Virginia Creeper to grow up a brick wall) 
>>>: but have become obsessed with gardens and gardening over the past year. I 
>>>: live in Chicago, and am considering enrolling in a program offered by the 
>>>: Chicago Botanical Gardens.
>>
>>>It isn't *offered* by the CBG. You would enroll with your Cooperative
>>>Extension Service office. I started out with Cook County, held at
>>>Friendship Park Conservatory in Elmhurst. There may be a waiting list.
>>>They aren't very efficient with their book-keeping, and are clueless
>>>about computers. The instruction is good, but always keep in mind,
>>How cynical can you get?  If you arwe worried about this, you can make a 
>>sizable contribution.  Master gardenersd are expected to return what has 
>>been given to them byy volunteering in libraries, horticultural centers, 
>>or at the cooperative extension sites.  I have been a master gardener in 
>>Nassau County, in N.Y. for 15 years, have learned much, and have met 
>>wonderful people.  In my experience,at least in this program, they do not 
>>accept total novices.  mbm

>What I found out from my "master gardening" masters is that they are 
>mostly retired people there to answer the phones for the extension 
>office.  They were very freshman gardeners and they took an extension 
>course that was only offered during the day and "became" master 
>gardeners.  The ones I have talked to were a complete waste of time.  I 
>had a very hard time when I first moved to raleigh nc dealing with the 
>clay soil.  Until I talked to "experienced" gardeners and learned about 
>raised beds and the state mulch pile.  

>It was very funny that the master gardeners knew alot less than the real 
>experienced gardeners.  As usual none of these "masters" were connected 
>to any online service that could help provide them with information.  

>What I find is that through these electronic services I have found out 
>more about gardening than many "master gardeneres"  that I have come in 
>contact with.

>Also the true "master gardener" with real experience and info to share 99 
>times out of 100 has his own business, such as landscaping, or 
>greenhouses or something.  Because he can make money at it.  The free 
>"master gardeners" are generally free because they cannot make money at 
>it.  just my opion.

>martin kosiak
>[email-masked]

I suspect that the individual Master Gardener programs have different 
criterea for admission into the program, as well as the level of 
instruction given.  The program that I was in wanted students with a 
decent backgroun, were carefully screened, and then were taught by 
professors from the land grant colleges, such as Cornell and Rutgers. The 
course was extensive and refreshers are given on a regular basis.  This 
does not mean that professional horticulturists don't have a lot to 
offer.  One does not negate the other.  I would be interested to know how 
other Master Gardener programs are handled, and I will refer the question 
to the cooperative extension agents in Nassau County.mbm