Subject: Re: Growing Mizuna

From: Travis Saling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 13:17:50 -0700

Hi,

Mizuna is a Japanese-bred mustard, selected for cold-hardiness so it can 
overwinter (where it doesn't get colder than the mid-teens).  I'll be REAL 
surprised if it doesn't send up seed-heads soon after you plant it out 
(mustards are photo-periodic; they bolt when daylength reaches a certain 
number of hours).

Spacing is usually 12 inches between plants.  Here in Washington State, 
we can direct-seed it in July, so it sizes up by fall.  It bolts in 
April, I think.

If perchance yours doesn't bolt, let me know where you got it!  The only 
mustard I know of that can be grown in summer is a strain of Pac Choi of 
which I'm not very fond (but the plants got huge, and never bolted, even 
through August).

Travis S.

 On 26 May 1995, Stephen Zagerman wrote:

> Does anyone have experience growing mizuna. It's a Japanese (?) salad 
> green. I got a 4" pot which is densely filled with it and I'm wondering 
> whether I should put the whole clump as is into the ground, or whetyher 
> I should break it up and if so, if the spacing is similar to looseleaf 
> lettuce (6"). Any ideas?
> 
> 
> 
>

---

From: Stephen Zagerman <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 May 1995 18:09:52 GMT