Subject: Re: Grapes, roses, and others....

From: [email-masked] (Beverly Erlebacher)
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 22:39:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Craig Stewart) writes:
>
>	Perhaps you may help me.  I am interested in placing some
>grape vines in an unused section of my property.  I curently know 
>nothing at all about grapes.  What would be a good HARDY (emphasis
>on hardy) grape that produces a fruit suitable for making a wine.
>"White" grapes would be preferble, as I prefer a "white" wine.
>I live in south westeren New Brunswick, Canada, and the winters are 
>usualy quite icy, but not so frigid as farther north.  I'm not sure
>what zone I am located in, since it has been a while since I looked
>it up.
>
>	Question number two.  I would like to place a couple of climbing
>roses on trellices (spelling is NOT my strong point) and I suffer from
>a normaly inhospitable climate for roses.  The only bushes that I 
>have wintered well, if at all, are a couple of shrub roses.  I also 
>don't want a rose that will take over the entire side of the house in a 
>season or two!

I strongly recommend the Corn Hill Nursery in Petitcodiac, NB.  It is
run by Rob Osbourne, author of the book "Roses for Canadian Gardens"
published in the US as "Hardy Roses".  He has an incredible collection
of roses and has rated them for hardiness and disease resistance.  He
also evaluates and sells a variety of grape cultivars, both for eating
and wine making.  I've never seen his nursery, but his catalog is great.
The nursery is open for viewing.  It must be just spectacular in early
summer when the roses are in bloom!  I recommend you write or phone - 
the catalog is $3 I think.

Btw, don't take the recommendation of Himrod grape that someone offered.
It is a little marginal here in Toronto, it's not going to make it in
New Brunswick!