Subject: Gardening Books

From: [email-masked] (Hugh Burns)
Date: 15 May 1995 01:27:27 GMT

I am interested in gardening books.  I live in Atlanta, and am a weekend 
gardener who loves all plants, especially flowers.  Can anyone give a 
review and/or comparison of Reader's Digest's _A Garden For All Seasons_ 
and Better Homes and Gardens' _Complete Guide to Flower Gardening_?  I've 
seen these books in the stores and would like to know what any of you 
think of them.  Thank you.
Carol Burns

---

From: [email-masked] (APrin30978)
Date: 16 May 1995 21:54:19 -0400

Readers Digest Guide to Creative Gardening is one of the most interesting,
inspiring and relatively practical books I own.

Try it, I love it.

Ann

---

From: [email-masked] (Saeed Ganji)
Date: 18 May 1995 01:08:12 GMT

Hugh Burns ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am interested in gardening books.  I live in Atlanta, and am a weekend 
: gardener who loves all plants, especially flowers.  Can anyone give a 
: review and/or comparison of Reader's Digest's _A Garden For All Seasons_ 
: and Better Homes and Gardens' _Complete Guide to Flower Gardening_?  I've 
: seen these books in the stores and would like to know what any of you 
: think of them.  Thank you.
: Carol Burns

I recently checked out a book from our library called "60-minute Gardening".
It promotes the usage of a 200 square foot vegetable garden using raised
beds and row covers. It has illustrations on how to build the whole thing.
It looke really interesting, and I've been considering doing it for next
growring season. It claims the garden will be pretty much pest and disease
free. It is also an organic method, claimed to produce around 400 pounds of
vegetable per year.

Any one else know anything about this book?

---

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 18 May 1995 11:31:25 GMT

> : think of them.  Thank you.
    Of the books I've seen and/or own, the that I like best are:

Perennials for American Gardens, Ruth Clausen & Nicolas Ekstrom
Alphabetical descriptions with some pictures; includes appendices on
gardening, sources of material and indexes of synonyms and common names.

The American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
Lots and lots of pictures grouped by color, size, bloom time with an
associated alphabetical index and description by latin name.

   These are not your basic "how to" books but are mainly photographs and
descriptions of perennials and their growing conditions.  The first one
has relatively few pictures, but I think it has the more useful
descriptions of plants and growing conditions.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney, Physics Dept, Duke University ---Opinions are mine---