Subject: Weed Dictionary

From: [email-masked] (jack sanders)
Date: 27 May 1995 23:57:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked] (Oettinger) writes:

> Anyone knows of a good weed dictionary, with nice pictures to help
> identify different lawn and garden weeds?

Here are five books to look for:

"Weeds" by Alexander C. Martin, New York: Golden Press, 1972. Small paperback, 
part of the Golden Guide series, offers excellent color illustrations and
range maps. No tips on dealing with them, but interesting reading. Probably in 
print. 

"Wildly Successful Plants: A Handbook of North American Weeds" by Lawrence J.
Crockett, New York:Macmillan, 1977. Excellent guide to more than 100 major
weeds; good black and white illustrations. Tells in detail how to get rid of
them. Probably not in print, but in libraries. 

"Common Weeds of the United States" by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, New 
York: Dover, 1971. Comprehensive guide to 220 species across the continent.
Range maps, good drawings. No recommendations for dealing with them. In print. 

"Weeds: Control without Poisons" by Charles Walters Sr., Kansas City, Mo.:
Acres USA, 1991. A comprehensive treatment of the topic, with lots of
background, identification guide, etc. Aimed particularly at farmers, but
gardeners can benefit. Over 300 pages. In print and orderable from Acres USA,
Box 9547, Kansas City, Mo. 64133-9547. 

"All About Weeds" by Edwin Rollin Spencer, New York: Dover, 1974. A classic,
written by an expert in the field. Suggestions for dealing with weeds, plus
loads of background and lore. May not be in print, but good libraries should
have. 

--Jack Sanders, Ridgefield, Conn., [email-masked]
  author of "Hedgemaids and Fairy Candles: The Lives &  Lore
  of North American Wildflowers," Ragged Mountain/McGraw-Hill, 1993