Subject: Re: Photosynthesis Process and

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 May 95 15:03:33 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Glenn M. Berntson) writes:
> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>> I have been wondering how trees with red leaves conduct photosynthesis 
>> and whether the chlorophyll is present at all in the red leaves? I will 
>> appreciate folks who have insights on my questions to provide directions.
>> 
>>
> Yes, the leaves do still contain chlorophyll, but they also contain a
> substance called xanthophyll which give them the red color.  Xanthophyll
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^anthocyanins (there are a number of them,
and most read-leaved plants have several different anthocyanins in their
vaculoles).

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: Jeremy Packer <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 1995 15:51:54 GMT

[email-masked] (Chi-Tao Yuan) wrote:
> Thanks
> Chi
Red leaves still contain chlorophyll; it's just that they also contain
so much red pigment that the green colour is masked. Photosynthesis is
therefore quite normal. The only tree that I know of with a real 
chlorophyll deficiency problem is Acer pseudoplantanus 
"Brilliantissimum", in which the leaves turn a very pale pink. it grows
 very slowly and looks rather sick as a result!

Jeremy