Subject: An old,old vine

From: [email-masked] (Bob Berry)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 02:46:56 GMT

Moving home about 2 years ago in Southern England we inherited two old
vines in a conservatory.  The are estimated to be 150 and 100 years
old.  They span 3m by 6m, the old has a main stem 30cm circumference,
the younger about 20cm.  The older has its roots outside the
conservatory, the younger inside.  We beleive the variety to be Black
Hamburg.

We have three problems:

1) They produce bunches of grapes but they remain small and pea sized
and turn mildrewy - Any suggestions on cultivation and
feeding/watering.  Should we water through the winter, how much should
one water during the summer?

2) The older vine has a couple of areas of woodworm.  -  Any
suggestions on treatment, or leave alone?

3) When pruning last year we noticed thet the centre core appeared
dead.  - Is this normal or just old age?

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thanks,  Bob