Subject: Parents: BE CAREFUL!

From: [email-masked] (Cory Cox)
Date: 24 Aug 1994 00:57:37 GMT

A cautionary tale for readers of rec.gardens.  Please watch your children
carefully when browsing the plant nursery.

I was at a local nursery last weekend with my wife and 18 mo. old son.
He was very keyed up about the plants, carts, etc.  After throwing a 
tantrum because I wouldn't let him pull the cart, he decided to run 
around.  I tried to carry him but he squirmed around and was generally 
fussy.  I had put him down for about 20 seconds while looking at a 
couple of shrubs when I saw him spit out a red berry with a very 
disgusted look on his face.  I scooped the berry out of his mouth and
figured out what it was; daphne mezereum.  I remembered that this was
a poisonous berry and called poison control.  After several tense
hours of watching and pumping him full of charcoal slurry, it turned
out that he was alright.  Daphne berries are evidently extremely toxic
and as few as 3 can kill an adult.  

I just wanted to warn parents that plant nurseries are not safe for 
children.  I am very lucky that my experience turned out ok.  Please
be careful.

-- 
============================================================================
  | ________ |          | Cory Cox ([email-masked])
  |_\/\/\/\/_|          | Intel Architecture Labs
     \/\/\/             | Hillsboro, Oregon
      \/\/ Sir Hoopalot |  --Will program for food
============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Aug 1994 02:56:32 GMT

>From article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Cory Cox):
> 

    Lots of peoples' gardens are not safe for children. Yew "berries"
  (actually cones, but lets skip the details) kill children every year.
  Monkshood flowers (Aconitum napellus), a pretty purple flowered plant
  is deadly when eaten (the whole plant is toxic, and I wash my hands
  after even touching it), holly berries are deadly, yellow jessamine
  berries and stems (Gelsemium sempervirens) are deadly, Lantana camara
  berries and the whole plant of Oleander (Nerium oleander) are deadly,
  as are the berries of Virginia creeper. Don't forget the whole plant
  of Cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), which is also deadly when
  consumed, including berries, and there may not even be any symptoms
  before respiratory failure.

  Please be careful out there, people!

                                        Caren Feldman