Subject: Re: herb books

From: [email-masked] (Moira Carlson)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 14:24:46 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <[email-masked]>
> References: <[email-masked]>
> Posted: 22 Aug 94 10:32:07 -0600
>
> Org.  : University of Wisconsin Eau Claire
>
> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (CkirkG)
> writes:
> > I have purchased a home with a tremendous herb garden.  Being somewhat
> > herb illiterate, I am seeking a good illustrated reference book or two.
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > I would also love ideas on using herbs as gifts.
> >
> > J. G.
>
> One of my favorites because it's a good quick reference is Martha E.
> Kraska,
> _Herbs_ (New York: Prentice Hall Gardening, 1992); it's one of the Burpee
> American Gardening Series, $8.00 on my copy, though that may have changed
> in two years.  Not encyclopedic, by any means, but it does give a quick
> over-
> view of a wide range of herbs and their cultivation needs, as well as
> asstd.
> uses for them, a short section on pests and diseases (tho that part
> hasn't
> been as helpful), a few FAQ.
>
> Dina

You need to know which herbs to use -which are safe and so on, but after
you have read the books and are pretty clear on that sort of thing...

A few gift ideas....

1) A collection of dried culinary herbs -in nicely labeled baggies or jam
jars or some such -presentation is the key.

2) Sleep pillows

3) Herb Teas -single herbs or make up some mixes  -go to the store and get
an idea of what folks are using in the commercial mixes.

4. Specialty herb mixes: For example an "Italian Seasoning Mix" or a mix of
herbs that could be added to a simple oil and vinegar salad dressing to
make it really terrific.

5. Bath bags -cheesecloth bags full of bath herbs/oatmeal/powdered milk.
(For a larger gift, it is pretty easy to turn this sort of thing in to "a
kit".  How about a book to read in the bath, incense, etc.etc.)

6. Potpourri and sachets.  Sachets can be sweet smelling (lavendar is the
classic), but can also be made up for other purposes -for example using
some of the herbs with insect repelling properties.  (come to think of it
lavendar has that reputation too)...or how about a catnip sachet for the
kitty?

7. Herb vinegars are easy to make.

8. Wreaths or other dried arrangements.

9. Herbal liqueurs and/or homemade wines...a little bottle of homemade
peppermint liqueur perhaps...

In all of the above, presentation is important.  One jam jar is
uninteresting, but 6 identical jam jars full of different culinary herbs
all nicely labeled and presented is a lovely gift.  Just a bit of ribbon or
lace or a nice material can add a lot to a sachet or sleep pillow.

Hope this helps.
Moira