Subject: Re: HARDY Fruits: Nfld and any zone 5 success.

From: [email-masked] (Beverly Erlebacher)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 14:51:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>Could anyone who lives in Newfoundland give me some help and tell me what 
>kind of small fruits they have had success with please? I have a copy of Dr. 
>Peter Scott's book on Newfoundland Gardening and he gives alot of good 
>points to try things like sour cherries, etc. What I would particularly 
>like to know is if there are any specific apple trees which will grow 
>under average conditions. I would welcome comments from anyone who knows of 
>trees which should do okay in the 5a-5b zones.

There are several Canadian nurseries that specialize in plants for your
climate.  One of the best is

	Corn Hill Nursery
	RR 5
	Petitcodiac, N.B.
	E0A 2H0

	(506) 756-3635

They have a large assortment of apples, especially heirloom and disease-
resistant varieties, for zone 5 and colder, on hardy rootstocks, including
Ottawa 3, a very hardy dwarfing rootstock.  Also pears, plums, cherries,
berries and a lot of hardy ornamentals including an impressive selection of
hardy own-root roses.

You could also try

	Sursum Corda
	RR #3
	Scotstown, Quebec
	J0B 3B0

which specializes in very hardy tree fruits.

In Newfoundland, your problems are more likely to be the cool summers
than the winter cold.  It might be best not to select very late varieties
that may not have time to ripen.

Some prairie nurseries that specialize in plants for the conditions in
that area (bitter winters, hot summers, drought and wind):

	Beaverlodge Nursery
	Box 127
	Beaverlodge, Alberta
	T0H 0C0

	Boughen Nurseries
	Box 12
	Valley River, Manitoba
	R0L 2B0

If you pick up a Canadian gardening magazine in the winter or early
spring, you will find ads for more mail-order nurseries.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada
AgCan Z6b  USDA Z5