Subject: New to hydroponics

From: [email-masked] (Jim Rooke)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 12:19:47 -0500

Hello everyone, I'm new to both hydroponics and this newsgroup.
There does not seem to be very much activity here at the present time.

I plan on trying to grow some American Ginseng roots hydroponically.
The requirements are: moist but do not like their roots to be wet.
I have a a small plastic box and some rockwool cubes. Intend to stack 
4" blocks and 2 1/2" blocks for the roots since they are presently about
4" long. I plan on putting  some pluggable drainage holes in the bottom
of the box but will fill it with nutrient manually.

I want to setup a more elaborate nutrient pumping system later, powered
by solar electricity (i know it's not practical but am reluctant to extend
my house wiring to the backyard on a permanent basis.) I have an 8'x11'
hothouse out there!

Would appreciate ideas on nutrients to use.

Any comments, ideas are welcome via the mailing list or private email. 

Jim Rooke
[email-masked]

---

From: vijay lal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 07:04:43 +0200 (IST)

Welcome to the list.

> I plan on trying to grow some American Ginseng roots hydroponically.

Wow, what a great idea!  Have you done this before?  Have you heard of or
seen ginseng being grown hydroponically before? Do you have a contact or
any addition growing information? 

Hope to hear from you and good luck!

Eliezer

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne Fugitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 00:23:24 -0600 (CST)

Hello Jim,

> my house wiring to the backyard on a permanent basis.) I have an 8'x11'

  I see no reason to be reluctant on extending wiring outside.  It is done
all the time.

  At my place, I have wiring going in all directions underground.  In some
directions it goes 1/4 miles, other directions from 150 feet to 500 feet 
or more.  It is 135 feet to the pump that pumps water from the creek.
At that point I use a GFCI and go 250 feet to a garden area.  From that point
I have another 100 foot fun with a receptacle ( 120 VAC ) coming out of the
ground.  These 120 VAC receptacles are very handy from time to time.

At one point at the end of the garden, I alread had 120 volt power via the
route described above.  This past year I installed another 1 inch conduit
with several control wires and shielded twisted pair, ect.

Just in case the power coming the other way failed, I installed 4 more
# 12 thhn.  These are not in use at this time, but are ready if ever needed.

So.... why not install wiring out in the yard, garden, fields, ect. ?

For example, I have 420 blueberries.  There is a 120 volt outlet near the 
ends of the rows.  By  using a # 10 ga extension cord, I can run electric
trimmers all over the field.

Never skimp on the size or quality of the wire.  Use the very best that
you can afford.  Keep in mind that any Electrical Code requirements are
the absolute minimums.  Often with long runs, to eleminate excessive
voltage drops, the wire must be up-sized one to two sizes.

Never forget the safety that can be provided by GFCI's and low voltage
transformers.

If you do not feel comfortable selecting all the components, consult
your friendly local electrical inspector.  Most of them are happy to
offer advice.  Many will come visit your home or facility to assist.

If you have any specific question, simply ask.

> Would appreciate ideas on nutrients to use.

  Sorry, I have not grown the plant you mention.

     Wayne

     Techlink BBS  (601) 878-5943      Voice (601)  878-5066
     Fidonet  1:3632/66
     Home of Intelligent_Growing
     http://www.misnet.com/~wfugitt/

---

From: vijay lal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 07:04:43 +0200 (IST)

Welcome to the list.

Eliezer

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne Fugitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 00:23:24 -0600 (CST)

Hello Jim,

     Wayne

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 22:08:34 -0500

>of the box but will fill it with nutrient manually.

Ginseng ('sang) WILL grow well provided you keep it at LOW light levels, and 
keep nitrogen levels low.  Unfortunately, the market price for the crop will be 
WELL below the extremely high return normally found on the wild variety, as the 
unique shapes commonly found on this root crop is caused by the obstructions 
occurring in its native environment (forest floor, shaded area, poor soil).  

Though I am a GREAT fan of rockwool (and one of the first to sell rockwool in 
the States commercially), in this instance, I'd suggest considering GEO-LITE or 
expanded clay pellets as your medium, closer to native environment.
     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Scott Jones
[email-masked]
Hydro/Aquatic Technologies
Learn more about hydroponics, aquaculture, and aquaponics 
at our website: http://www.intercom.net/biz/aquaedu/hatech 

    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>