Subject: easy intro system

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 14:54:42 -0700

>Hi,
>I have been lurking on this list for several weeks hoping for hints about
>starting my own hydro system.
>I am a housewife and homeschooling mom who would like to pass on the
>basics of this kind of gardening to my children.
>Can anyone give me ideas of how to start?  I would like the names of some
>books on this too!
>Also I wondered does the water have to circulate or can you get growth
>from standstill tanks?  I've gotten some leafy plants to grow in water
>that are doing really well.
>Please pardon my being a novice at this.   My local library doesn't seem
>to have anything I can look at to give my hints of what to do.
>Thanks for your time,
>
>
>Barbe Wigen
>Spokane, Washington

    One of the easiest and cheapest ways to get started growing
hydroponically is with perlite in the reservoir system.  You can fill
plastic plant pots with perlite and sit them in a tray of nutrient
solution.  You can even cut the tops off 1 gallon plastic milk jugs, poke a
few holes in the bottom to let the water in, and set them in plastic trays
(I've used old kitty litter trays) with about an inch deep of nutrient
solution.  The perlite will soak up the nutrient solution/water and
distribute it evenly throughout the container.  You have to maunally fill
the tray every day or so.  And the first week or two you may want to water
the pots from the top as perlite will really absorb the nutrient before the
plant can get to it.
     Usually you start your seeds in rockwool cubes and then transfer them
to the perlite once you see a few roots growing outside the cube.  You want
to bury the cube down into the perlite. We have an aloe vera plant growing
this way in our store.  It is actually doing better this way than it was
doing in a grow rock recirculating drip system.
     As far as books, Indoor Gardening by George Van Patten (sells for
$19.99) is a really good book and has a whole chapter on hydroponics.  It
covers several types of different systems, including how to build your own.
     I think it's a great things to show kids.  I've gone to a couple of
the local elementary schools here in Albuquerque, NM and given
presentations on hydroponics.  It's usually for the science fair and the
kids have to come up with a way to grow food on Mars. Hydroponics is
definately the future.
     Hope this helps.

                                              Sunny

AHL ALBUQUERQUE HYDROPONICS AND LIGHTING
1001 SAN MATEO SE
ALBUQUERUQE, NM 87108
1-505-255-3677
1-800-753-4617
fax 1-505-255-7417
e-mail  [email-masked]
http://www.swcp.com/~ahl/ahl.html