Subject: Re: introduction material

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 21:07:28 -0500

From:	[email-masked]
>I have been lurking on this list for several weeks hoping for hints
>about starting my own hydro system. 
>I am a housewife and homeschooling mom who would like to pass
>on the basics of this kind of gardening to my children.
>Can anyone give me ideas of how to start?  I would like the names
>of some books on this too!
>Also I wondered does the water have to circulate or can you get
>growth from standstill tanks?  I've gotten some leafy plants to
>grow in water that are doing really well.
>Please pardon my being a novice at this.   My local library doesn't
>seem to have anything I can look at to give my hints of what to
>do.
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Barbe Wigen
>Spokane, Washington
>                                   [email-masked]

Barbe,

We have educational videos and a number of books available.  We
work with schools and have a number of home schoolers we have
helped with hydroponics.  We are also working on teachers guides
and a new video specifically addressing low cost science projects
primarily featuring the use of 2-liter soda bottles for reservoirs and
growing trays.  For elementary students we normally suggest
variations in seed starts using Oasis Horticubes.  Variations such as
different temperatures, light levels, etc.  (We sell the thin cut cubes
in sheets of 276 cubes for $6.00 or blocks of 24 cubes for $.60.  An
8 oz. bottle of Dyna-Gro complete hydroponic nutrient will make
up to 175 gallons of nutrient and costs $5.00.  Our minimum mail
order is $20.00, however)  Below is a description of our video
tapes designed for classroom use.  They do not promote any
particular product or brand name.  They also illustrate how
students, teachers, or parents can build their own systems.  We,
along with the Hydroponic Society of America, advocate integrated
technology education combining mathematics (how much nutrient
do you mix in 10 gallons of water?, etc.) along with economics
(how much profit can be made by selling your hydroponically
grown herbs?), plant science, biology, computer control systems,
engineering (build your own system), physics, etc. etc.
 
  The following is a more detailed description of our videos and a
partial book list. 

Volume I, Introduction to Hydroponics.    $39.95
Extensive animated illustrations and actual systems in operation,
make the basics of  growing plants without soil easy to understand. 
It describes the differences and advantages of hydroponics over
traditional soil growing methods; defines hydroponics and explains
the essentials of complete nutrients; the effects and importance of
pH; environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, etc.
including carbon dioxide enrichment. Also covers light spectrums
required for plant growth and the best choices for indoor plant
lighting.  Provides an overview of several hydroponic growing
methods and systems, including illustrations that are animated to
make the principles easy to grasp.  A section also describes
propagation from seeds and cuttings using starter cubes, and a
variety of growing mediums.  22 Minutes.

Volume II, Nutrient Film Technique.    $29.95
Detailed explanation of a hydroponic system extensively used in
commercial production of small root crops such as lettuce, spinach,
and herbs.  Animated illustrations make it easy to understand this
simple growing method.  Various size systems are shown in
operation from large commercial greenhouse facilities to a single
PVC pipe system that can be built for home or classroom use.  15
Min.

BOOK LIST available from VIRGINIA HYDROPONICS, 
368 Newtown Rd. #105, Virginia Beach, VA 23462      
Phone: (804) 766-1234      E-mail: [email-masked]

HYDROPONIC  TOMATOES    HOWARD RESH, PhD
Copyright 1993.  Excellent descriptions of basic hydroponic
systems.  Although this book primarily discusses tomato growing,
the principles discussed apply to the growth of just about any plant. 
$9.95

Revised GARDENING INDOORS     GEORGE VAN PATTEN 
Copyright 1995. Very comprehensive.  Extensive descripition of
plant lighting with thorough coverage of hydroponics including
CO2 enrichment. This book is considered the Bible of growing
under energy efficient, high intensity discharge (HID) lights. $19.95

HYDROPONIC HOME FOOD GARDENS         
HOWARD RESH, PhD 
Copyright 1990, this book emphasizes small-scale home hydroponic
growing methods and their relationship to larger greenhouse
systems.  An excellent, up-to-date book by one of the most
renowned authors.  $12.95

HYDROPONICS FOR THE HOME GARDENER    
STEWART KENYON 
An outstanding book for the beginner and especially for herb
growers.  Includes a companion planting guide.  SPECIAL 
(Regularly $12.95)  Now Only $8.95

HYDROPONIC FOOD PRODUCTION     
HOWARD RESH, PhD 
This book is considered the Bible of Hydroponics for commercial
growers. This book is extremely informative and detailed including
nutrient formulas and detailed analysis of various hydroponic
medias and methods.   $48.00

Carl Anderson                                       Virginia Hydroponics,
Inc.
[email-masked]                           368 Newtown Rd. #105
(804) 766-1234                                     Virginia Beach, VA 23462