Subject: Re:

From: [email-masked] (stu)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 03:08:29 -0800

I'm no expert on hydroponics, but I sure would consider the possibility of a
purely physical reaction of a hot melon having its surface rapidly cooled by
water evaporating off of its surface. This rapid cooling of the surface vs.
the hot interior which is much more temperature stable,  and the resulting
shrinkage of the surface due to some coefficent of expansion, could stress
the exterior of a ripe melon which I assume is at its most thin and
vulnerable condition, and cause it to split when the strength of the melon
covering is not able to withstand the tension stresses as it needs to shrink
in dimension over the stable, steady state size of the melon interior.

Ditto for the tomato. 

Boy, I must be hungry. Those ripe melons and tomatoes sure sound tasty.
I wish I had some of your split open tomatoes and melons up here for the
superbowl game!
stu 

>I recently joined this group and was pleased to see the growing interest in  
>Hydroponics.
>    I am from the island of Montserrat in the West Indies(Volcano Island) and 
>have been using the hydroponics technique for the past two years for growing a 
>variety of crops. Our main advantage is that its Summer all year round.
>
>  I have observed that after a shower of rain the watermelons and to ripe 
>tomatoes crack, Several analysis have been done to justify the EC levels of
the 
>Nutrient Solution, Tissue analysis have been carried out on a weekly basis and 
>all are within what is considered normal by the University of Florida and The 
>University of Califonia.
>
> Question...  Could this problem due to the level of OXYGEN in the rain water 
>compared to the level in the nutrient solution?
>
>Should any one care to respond they can address directly to me at  
>[email-masked] as this may be too advanced for th hydro beginners
>
> thanks 
> Glenn Lewis
>
>
>