Subject: Ginseng information

From: Robin Moseby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:47:45 +1030 (CST)

Concerning ginseng

 Members of this list might be interested in a disertation on its
properties by Vaughan Bullivant DSc.ND DNM in his publication 'The natural
way to better health and longer life ' which is distributed by some health
food shops.

 " Ginseng - A small perennial plant, the most potent species are found in
Siberia and Korea, taking six years to mature. Ginseng is a general tonic
especially valuable for feverish and inflammatory disease. It is reputed
to promote the hormone producing glands preventing tiredness and the
debilitating effects of old age, often used to maintain sexual potency and
as an aphrodisiac. It is recommended for haemorrhage and blood diseases,
and women can take ginseng for everything from normalising menstruation to
easing childbirth. Ginseng is apparently taken by Russian astronauts for
resistance to disease and stress, in strengthening the immune system. It
is also used in the treatment of anaemia, artherosclerosis, depression,
diabetes, oedema, hypertension and ulcers. Alleviates coughs, chest
problems and fever at the same time. It can promote both mental and
physical vigour and good digestion. The Chinese have held ginseng root in
almost religious esteem as a panacea for many ailments, for thousands of
years. " 

 I would be interested in the full scientific names of the most
potent species found in Korea and Siberia and a source of seeds for these
varieties to experiment with various hydroponic growing techniques. 

Cheers

 Robin Moseby ( [email-masked] )