Subject: FW: Conference: Adding Value through Env. Marketing

From: Andy Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:12:22 -0400

[ The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
    [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

Message is a bit long. 

**FOR MORE INFORMATION 

Contact The IPM Institute of North America, Inc., 1914 Rowley Ave., Madison
WI 53705, (608) 232-1528, FAX (608) 232-1530; or visit the web site at
http://www.iatp.org/enviroag/ for conference updates.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Green [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 1999 11:25 PM
To: Andy Clark

****CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT****

**Adding Value through Environmental Marketing: Opportunities for Food
Producers, Processors and Retailers**

**DATES:  December 6-7, 1999, closing by 2 PM on December 7

**LOCATION:  Edgewater Hotel, Madison WI, USA

**CONFERENCE GOALS:     

1. Build awareness of Environmental Management Systems (EMSs) and potential
for use in environmentally identified/certified marketing, including
rationale and mechanisms

2. Create an atmosphere where decision makers in a variety of food chains
can initiate relationships leading to expanded adoption of EMSs in
production and marketing, with a focus on major field crops in the upper
midwest including meat and dairy products as the largest destinations for
these field crops.

**RATIONALE:

A revolution in attitudes and buying habits is sweeping through the
marketplace.  A whopping 52% of consumers indicate a willingness to pay
price premiums for food produced with minimal harm to the environment. The
following headlines hint at the scope of the rapid, global change
confronting our industry:

"Stores Can't Meet Rising Demand for Organic Food"
- The Daily Telegraph, January 7, 1999

"FTC Releases Revised Consumer Brochure about 'Green' Claims"
-  M2 Presswire, April 23, 1999

"Horizon Organic Milks the Competition and Moves into Other Natural Realms"
- The Wall Street Journal, March 9, 1999

"Monsanto Pushes Benefits of GM Foods to the Environment"
- Irish Times, March 1, 1999

"Often-Scorned 'Green' Funds Turn Rivals Green with Envy"
- Dow Jones News Service, March 5, 1999

To make optimum decisions, those involved in food production, processing,
distribution and marketing need to be fully informed on these and following
issues:

* Are consumers aware of the efforts producers and others in agriculture
have made to reduce environmental impacts?  What are the most effective
ways to communicate these actions and benefits to consumers?

* How large is the "green" consumer market?  How do I recognize a "green"
consumer?  How fast is the environmental market growing? 

* What's the difference between organic, natural, IPM and other eco-labels?
 Which standard is most appropriate for my products and markets? How do the
various standards regulate compliance, maintain credibility and prevent
cheating?

* What's the connection between consumers' food safety and environmental
concerns?  What's the current status on the market for GMO crops?  How can
I help my organization and our customers separate hype and hysteria from
real benefits to the environment worthy of support?

* Will "green" products earn a price premium or greater market access in my
industry?  How will premium dollars be distributed among producers,
processors, distributors and retailers?  How have "green" prices fared
compared to the recent historic lows in commodity crops and livestock?

* Do the benefits to producers, processors and others outweigh the costs?

* If I develop and market a "green" product line, how will consumers
respond to my conventional products?

* How do I produce and market environmentally identified products? What are
the pitfalls to avoid?  Who can help me develop an effective program?

* Do environmental production and marketing programs really make a
difference?  Do they invite greater government regulation, or less?

* What's my next step?

Participants in the conference will be armed with accurate, complete and
up-to-date information and establish valuable new relationships with
experienced professionals and potential partners.

Register now by calling (608) 232-1528 or by completing the enclosed
registration form and faxing to (608) 265-3163.  Space is limited. 
Register early, avoid the higher late registration fee, and ensure your
participation with senior executives and managers from farm organizations,
processors, grocery manufacturers, distributors, retailers, government and
pubic interest groups.

**PRELIMINARY PROGRAM

Monday, December 6, 1999

7:00 AM Registration and Continental Breakfast

7:45 AM Welcome and Introduction
Thomas Green, Ph.D., President, IPM Institute of North America, Inc.,
Madison WI

7:55 AM Room for Improvement in Production Practices
Harold Coble, Ph.D., IPM Coordinator, USDA, Washington, D.C.

8:15 AM Consumers Demand for "Green" Products
Harvey Hartman, President, The Hartman Group, Seattle WA

9:00 AM Lessons from the Organic Experience
Katherine DiMatteo, Executive Director, Organic Trade Association,
Greenfield MA

9:20 AM Establishing the Largest Organic Brand
Mark Retzloff, Senior Vice President, Horizon Organic Dairy, Longmont CO

10:00 AM        Break

10:30 AM        IPM Label Products on Supermarket Shelves 
William Pool, Manager, Agricultural Production and Research, Wegmans Food
Markets, Rochester NY; and Curt Petzoldt, Asst. Director, NYS IPM Program,
Cornell University, Geneva NY

11:15 AM        Audience-Led Discussion with Presenter Panel
Coble, Hartman, DiMatteo, Retzloff, Pool, Petzoldt

12:00 Noon      Lunch and Presentation:
Environmental Management Systems and Standards: ISO 14000
Jeff Wilson, Owner, Birkbank Farm, Orton Ontario
Tom O'Neill, Manager, Norfolk Fruit Growers, Ontario

1:15 PM Exporting Environmentally Identified Grains
Dan Burke, President, Pacific Soybean and Grain, San Francisco CA

1:55 PM Natural Foods Distribution and Marketing
Ron Lautrup, National Commodities Mgr., United Natural Foods, Inc.,
Dayville CT

2:35 PM Break

3:05 PM The Food Alliance
Deborah Kane, Executive Director, Portland OR

3:20 PM Ontario Farm Plan
Ellen Wall, Research Scientist, University of Guelph Ontario

3:35 PM Chesapeake MilkTM , Eco-labeled by Environmental Quality Initiative
Lori Sandman, Executive Director, Kutztown PA

3:50 PM IPM Institute of North America
Thomas Green

4:05 PM Audience-Led Discussion with Presenter Panel
Wilson, Burke, Lautrup, Kane, Wall, Sandman, Green

4:50 PM Closing Remarks
Harold Coble

7:00 PM Reception

Tuesday, December 7, 1999

7:00 AM Continental Breakfast

7:50 AM Charge for Breakout Sessions: Ensuring Environmental Marketing
Success A facilitated opportunity to examine in detail the issues common to
a specific food production chain, make connections with other decision
makers in your own and related businesses, and explore opportunities to
create ongoing relationships

Breakout 1: Feed Grains and Meat Products

Breakout 2: Feed Grains and Dairy Products

Breakout 3: Processed Food Grains and Sugar

Breakout 4: Potatoes, Fresh and Processed Fruit and Vegetables

9:30 AM Break

10:00 AM        Repeat of Breakout Sessions (to allow your participation in
more than one chain)

11:30 AM        Self-Guided Walking Tour of Posted Reports from Breakout
Sessions

12:00 Noon      Lunch and Informal Discussion

1:00 PM Where to from here?
Brief comments from designated listeners on key issues raised during the
conference followed by a round robin of participant comments on needs and
plans for the future
        
2:00 PM Conference Close

**PRESENTERS:

Harold Coble, Ph.D., USDA National IPM Coordinator, Washington, D.C.  Dr.
Coble also fills both research and extension roles as Professor of Weed
Science at North Carolina State University (NCSU).  His major research
efforts have been in weed biology and ecology and in developing economic
weed control systems for cotton, peanuts, corn and soybeans.  Dr. Coble
received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Crop Science from NCSU and his Ph.D.
in agronomy from the University of Illinois. In addition to serving as
Council for Agricultural Science and Technology representative, Dr. Coble
has served as President of the Weed Science Society of America, and the
Weed Science Society of North Carolina.

Harvey Hartman, President, The Hartman Group, Seattle, Washington.  Mr.
Hartman works with senior management of companies to ensure the success of
strategic marketing programs.  He has lectured on environmental business
and marketing strategy at leading business schools and co-authored major
studies including: Natural Sensibility: A Study of America's Changing
Culture (1998): The Evolving Organic Marketplace (1997); The Hartman
Report, Food and the Environment, A Consumers Perspective (1996 & 1997);
and The Greening of Consumers: A Retailers Guide (1997).  Mr. Hartman has
consulted to Fortune 500 companies, EPA, FDA, USDA, World Wildlife Fund and
others.

Katherine DiMatteo, Executive Director, Organic Trade Association,
Greenfield, Massachusetts.  Ms. DiMatteo has led the OTA since 1990,
overseeing its growth to over 1000 members including growers, packers,
retailers, processors, certifiers, farmer associations, brokers,
consultants and distributors.  OTA promotes organic products, protects the
organic standards and serves as the leading voice and resource on organic
agriculture and products.  OTA is active in the International Federation of
Organic Agriculture Movements, creating a global system of organic
production and verification.

Mark Retzloff, Senior Vice President, Corporate Development, Horizon
Organic Dairy, Longmont, Colorado.  Mr. Retzloff is in charge of mergers,
acquisitions and co-branding.  Horizon is the #1 organic brand in the US,
producing certified organic milk, cheese and other dairy products
nationwide through a network of organic milk producers and processors.  The
company's products are sold by more than 8,000 conventional supermarkets,
specialty retailers and natural foods stores.  Horizon has experienced 67%
sales growth over the past year.

William Pool, Manager, Agricultural Production and Research, Wegmans Food
Markets, Rochester, New York.  Since 1995, Mr. Pool has led Wegmans'
innovative Integrated Pest Management (IPM) food product marketing program.
 The project involving land-grant universities like Cornell and Penn State,
fresh market and processing vegetable growers in 4 states, and processed
vegetable packers in two states.  Wegmans is a privately held retailer with
60 retail stores in three states and sales approaching $2.5 billion in
1999.

Curtis Petzoldt, Ph.D., Assistant Director, NY State IPM Program, Cornell
University, Ithaca, New York.   Dr. Petzoldt's responsibilities have
included managing Cornell's IPM-labeling effort, including working with
organizations such as Wegmans Food Markets and the New York State Berry
Growers Association to establish their Cornell-licensed IPM food product
labels. Dr. Petzoldt's publications include IPM systems for onions, sweet
corn, snap beans, potatoes and cabbage. Dr. Petzoldt holds a Ph.D. in Plant
Pathology from the University of California at Davis.

Jeff Wilson, Owner, Birkbank Farms, Orton, Ontario.   Mr. Wilson has
operated Birkbank Farms since 1976, producing small fruit and vegetable
crops on 300 acres.  Birkbank Farms has completed a structured
self-assessment of environmental issues on the farm, as part of the Ontario
Farm Plan.  Mr. Wilson is former chair of Agricultural Groups Concerned
About Resources and the Environment (AGCARE), a member of the Ontario Farm
and Environmental Coalition, and has addressed international audiences on
his experience with environmental management systems in agriculture.

Daniel Burke, President, Pacific Soybean and Grain, San Francisco,
California.  In 1974, Mr. Burke founded Pacific Soybean & Grain, an
international supplier of organic and non-GMO ingredients for specialty
food processors, with offices in San Francisco, CA, Story, City, IA and
Tokyo, Japan.  The company has innovated identity-preserved systems for
improved seed selection, post-harvest handling, storage and distribution of
premium food-grade soybean varieties for use throughout the soyfoods
industry.  Mr. Burke has held numerous leadership roles in various trade
organizations, including the Soyfoods Association of North America, the
Organic Trade Association and IFOAM, and has addressed numerous industry
conferences in Asia, Europe, North America and Central America.

Ron Lautrup, National Commodities Manager, United Natural Foods, Dayville,
Connecticut.  Mr. Lautrup is responsible for procurement strategies and
grower/supplier relations for all unbranded and bulk products.  United
Natural Foods is the largest natural foods distributor in the U.S.,
supplying more than 6,500 retail stores in 46 states with groceries, body
care products, supplements and frozen foods.  The company achieved $729
million in sales in 1998, representing 73% growth over the previous year.

Ellen Wall, Research Scientist, University of Guelph Farming Systems
Research, Guelph Ontario.   For the past five years, Dr. Wall has worked
with an inter-disciplinary team examining sustainable agriculture issues,
including a comprehensive analysis of the international standard for
environmental systems, ISO 14001, and its implications for the agricultural
sector.  

Deborah Kane, Executive Director, The Food Alliance (TFA), Portland,
Oregon.  Deborah is charged with organizational development of TFA, a
non-profit organization increasing awareness of the link between
environmentally friendly farming practices and protection of natural
resources. Farmers who meet TFA's strict eligibility requirements can
market their products with the TFA-Approved Seal. Deborah earned an M.S. in
Conservation Ecology and Sustainable Development from the University of
Georgia and has over ten years experience in agriculture and environmental
non-profit management.

Lori Sandman, Executive Director, Environmental Quality Initiative, Inc.
(EQI), Kutztown, Pennsylvania.  Ms. Sandman served as Project Manager for
the Dairy Network Partnership (DNP), a coalition formed by the Chesapeake
Bay Foundation, Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture, Penn
State University, Rodale Institute and US EPA.  DNP is now succeeded by
EQI, developing incentives for reducing environmental impacts of
agriculture.   Chesapeake MilkTM bears the EQI eco-label, and is currently
being test marketed in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Thomas Green, Ph.D., President, IPM Institute of North America, Inc.,
Madison, Wisconsin.  Dr. Green founded an IPM supply business, now part of
GEMPLER'S, Inc., a national direct marketer to agriculture.  He provides
consulting services to industries and organizations working to broaden
adoption of IPM.  He co-founded the IPM Institute, a non-profit
organization developing IPM practice guidelines and certification for
agriculture, buildings and grounds.  He holds a Ph.D. in Entomology from
the University of Massachusetts.
Adding Value through Environmental Marketing: 
Opportunities for Food Producers, Processors and Retailers

Adding Value through Environmental Marketing: 
Opportunities for Food Producers, Processors and Retailers

December 6-7, 1999 at the Edgewater Hotel, Madison, Wisconsin

**REGISTRATION FORM 
[For a printable registration form, go to http://www.iatp.org/enviroag/ 

Please complete and fax to 608-265-3163, or mail with payment to
Environmental Marketing Conference, Pat Gaitan, The Pyle Center, Room 139,
702 Langdon St., Madison, WI 53706.

Name:                                                                      

Badge Name:                                                                
                
Company/Organization:                                                      

Address:                                                                   

City, State, Zip:                                                          
                
Telephone:                                              

Fax:                                            

E-mail:                                         

Registration fee includes entrance to sessions, continental breakfasts,
lunches and refreshment breaks (two days); conference materials and
reception Monday evening.  See information on hotel accommodations on
reverse.  All registrations sent after August 23, 1999 will be required to
pay the higher fee of $200.

Registration:   ____  $160.00 on or before August 23, 1999

                ____ $200.00 after August 23, 1999

Your sponsorship will help defray the costs of the conference. 
Sponsorships include one registration, a display table in the break area of
the main meeting room and acknowledgements on the conference web site and
program.

Sponsorship:    ____ $1000.00 Gold              ____ $750.00 Silver       
____ $400.00 Bronze

Method of Payment:      ___ Mastercard  ___ Visa        ___ American
Express

Cardholder Name:                                                           

Credit Card Number:                                                    
Exp. Date:              

Signature (required for credit card transactions):                         
        
Fax form with credit card numbers and signature to 608-265-3163,
or mail form with check or money order payable to UW-Extension to the above
address.

**ACCOMMODATIONS

Blocks of rooms have been reserved for the nights of December 5 and 6 at
the facilities listed below.  Please reserve your room directly with the
lodging site of your choice and identify yourself as a participant of the
Environmental Marketing Conference to ensure your special conference rates.
 A credit card number will be required to guarantee your room.  The
deadline for room reservations at the conference rate is November 1, 1999,
at which time room blocks will be released.

All Conference Sessions will be held at the Edgewater Hotel.

The Edgewater Hotel
On Lake Mendota Standard        $89.00  
666 Wisconsin Avenue    Lakefront       $129.00
800-922-5512 or 608-256-9071    Suite   $169.00
Room rate applies for one to four persons per room, 
please mention group code 2319 when placing your reservation
Web site:  www.gowisconsin.com\edgewater
Complimentary airport shuttle available

The Concourse Hotel
1 West Dayton St.       Single  $85.00
800-356-8293 or 608 257-6000    Double  $95.00
Web site: www.concoursehotel.com
Complimentary airport shuttle available
(Four blocks from the conference site)

The Madison Inn
601 Langdon St. Single  $52.00
608-257-4391    Double  $62.00
(Four blocks from the conference site)  

Madison is also home to a number of distinguished Bed and Breakfasts. 
Mansion Hill Inn, (608) 255-3999, and Collins House (608) 255-4230, are
conveniently located near the conference hotel.

**TRANSPORTATION

Dane County Regional Airport, in Madison, is served by United, Northwest,
Midwest Express, and other major airlines.  Madison is approximately 2
hours drive from Milwaukee's General Mitchell Airport, and three hours from
Chicago O'Hare Airport.  Bus service is available from downtown Chicago and
O'Hare to within 6 blocks of the Edgewater Hotel, via Van Galder Bus Co.,
800-747-0994, and from downtown Milwaukee and Mitchell via Badger Coaches,
608-255-6771.
Adding Value through Environmental Marketing: Opportunities for Food
Producers, Processors and Retailers

**FOR MORE INFORMATION 

Contact The IPM Institute of North America, Inc., 1914 Rowley Ave., Madison
WI 53705, (608) 232-1528, FAX (608) 232-1530; or visit the web site at
http://www.iatp.org/enviroag/ for conference updates.

Sponsors to date: The Joyce Foundation, US EPA Pesticide Environmental
Stewardship Program, National Science Foundation Center for IPM, The Food
Alliance.   Coordinators: Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy,
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, IPM Institute of North America,
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, Ohio Citizen Action,
University of Guelph Farming Systems Research, University of Wisconsin
Cooperative Extension IPM Program, Center for Integrated Agricultural
Studies Pesticide Use and Risk Reduction Project

******************************
Thomas A. Green, Ph.D.
IPM Works
1914 Rowley Ave
Madison WI 53705
608 232-1528
608 232-1530 (fax)
[email-masked]

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail