Subject: Humus

From: Thomas Hansmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 95 09:47:57 CST

This is a very interesting debate.  In thinking about and discussing soil
quality, organic matter is usually mentioned within the research circles.
And discussion is ongoing as to which portion of the soil organic matter
reactes (changes up or down) in a grant oriented reseach time scale.  That
which seems to be lacking in the discusion is the role of microbes.
Including the types of microbes and how to foster there existence.  I find
it amazing the the Luebkes were able to increase there organic matter
levels 13% over only 10 years.  If I have understood the claims, this
was accomplished on a farm scale, using that carbon which available
specifically from the Luebke farm.  I guess I am asking if the Luebkes
needed to import Carbon from other sources?  Which gets into further debate
as to whether enough carbon exists within the current system to allow all
of agriculture to increase the OM to healthy levels, 5% or so.  The
Thompsons from Iowa have made arrangments with the local village to use the
carbon, in the form of organic waste, as a cost effective amendment to
their soil.  Would all farmers need to compete for these contracts, or
could the carbon be produced on-farm.
--
              Thomas Hansmeyer
              St. Paul MN
              [email-masked]