Subject: Plants for screening?

From: [email-masked] (KLMF)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 12:42:22 -0400

I just bought a new house and we move in the first of May.  The house is a
year old and there is *no* landscaping in the front, which is a southern
exposure.   Would love some ideas for quick growing shade trees.   Also,
very important, on the west  side of the house the neighbors have a great
view of our back yard.   What do you recommend as a fast growing, tall
(20ft min at maturity) preferably evergreen plant to block the view?
Karen F.

---

From: [email-masked] (KLMF)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 22:20:09 -0400

>(20ft min at maturity) preferably evergreen plant to block the view?

I was kindly reminded by some ng readers of the importance of some very
relevant information.  Not like I didn't know better......in my haste, I
neglected.

The house is in central Connecticut  (zone 5/6).   The soil is, well, that
nutrient poor fill that developers use.  It will get some help.   It, like
all the soil in CT, is on the acidic side.   I had some ideas for the
columnal plants by the door...Picea glauca and Thuja occidentalis are two.
   For the evergreen screen I was looking at Cupressocyparis leylandii.  
The men at the nursery suggested a variety of Arborvitae they had in stock
that also fit the description  of my needs, but I wonder if they will grow
tall and fast enough.   I need very tall privacy as all the houses around
us are 2 stories.  I have several dogs and would like to not make that
apparent to the rest of the neighborhood.  I also desire total privacy.
This is not my first time landscaping a barren property, but it's the
first time I have so much sun at my disposal!  I scanned a photo of my new
house and have been having a good time adding and moving around the
flowers, shrubs, and trees!   By the time I'm done, I'll know exactly what
I want to put where!  I'm just stuck on the best solutions for the above
two problems.
Thanks in advance.

Karen F.