Subject: Re: patio vs. lawn

From: [email-masked] (David LAR)
Date: 26 May 1995 20:15:41 -0400

Andrea,
A lawn, while not too expensive to install...using sod, about 1.50 - 2.00
a square foot, it will eat your lunch over the long haul with maintenance
costs.  Here in the southeast, a good ole concrete patio, while
uninteresting would cost between 3.00 to 5.00 a square foot.  My choice
would be brick or precast concrete pavers. You can obtain interesting
line, color and texture with brick and pavers.  Cost should be between
6.00 and 10.00 a square foot.  With both concrete and brick/pavers, the
maintenance cost would be minimal.  Finishing concrete should be left up
to a professional, besides, its very hard work.  While an inexperienced
person could install brick/pavers, its probably best to have professionals
do this work.  Contact a local landscape architect or landscape contractor
to turn you on to a "hardscape" contractor.  Good luck.

---

From: Andrea Desin <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 May 1995 06:03:33 GMT

Can anyone advise me on the comparative costs of installation and
maintenance of lawn (seed vs. sod) and patio (aggregate vs. brick vs.
concrete) for an area in front of our house measuring an estimated
20 x 30 feet? Thank you very much.

Andrea Desin