Subject: (no subject)

From: m nordlund <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 1995 15:33:11 GMT

A year and half ago, I received my master's degree in landscape 
architecture, and now I am going for a master's in architecture. I am 
interested in working part time while in school and I am wondering if I 
should take the landscape architecture exam and become a licensed LA 
right away. Would this help me find part-time work? Or doesn't it 
matter? I was told by a few of my architecture professors that once I 
pass the architecture exam, I will be able to do anything a landscape 
architect can do, but somehow I don't believe them.  MN

---

From: [email-masked] (CLARB2)
Date: 30 Aug 1995 17:02:22 -0400

Dear M. Norlund:

In your recent message you wrote:
<< I am interested in working part time while in school and I am wondering
if I 
<<should take the landscape architecture exam and become a licensed LA
right away. Would this help <<me find part-time work? Or doesn't it
matter? I was told by a few of my architecture professors that <<once I
pass the architecture exam, I will be able to do anything a landscape
architect can do..

It is not necessary to have a license to find a part-time job in a
landscape architect's office.  However, if you will be doing work on your
own (i.e., not under a licensed L.A.,) you will need to become licensed to
practice legally.  As for being able to do landscape architecture with an
architect's license, you would be practicing illegally if you performed
work on your own in a state which has a practice act.  You could practice
some forms of landscape archtiecture with an architect's license in those
states which only have a title act; however, you could not call yourself
or advertise as a landscape architect.  You will have to check the state
law where you wish to practice to find the particulars.  Contact us at
CLARB2 if you need the phone numbers for a state board office.

Jim Penrod
Landscape Architect
Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB)
12700 Fair Lakes Circle, Suite 110
Fairfax, VA  22033
703/818-1300; FAX 703/818-1309; E-mail [email-masked]