Subject: Re: Software

From: William Jaursch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 22:28:07 -0700

PServ wrote:
> 
> Having spent the past 18 months researching landscape design software,
> both over the counter retail and professional, I haven't come across any
> shareware design software at all. There are several shareware databases
> and how to's out there but no design ware. LandDesigner 3D at $49.95 at
> Egghead and $44.95 at CompUSA is about the very best available for the
> money in the retail market. The learning curve is a little steeper than
> some of the others but is is so close to the LandDesigner Pro version at
> over $500.00 that you're foolish not to spend the 50bucks. It is well
> worth the money and you can spend rainy days learning it. I've been in the
> L/S business for 9 years and have been using software for the past 3 years
> in design and that's the one I use.
> Rusty CarrRusty,

I'm taking a Lanscape Design class.  I need to produce some layouts for 
my class.  They need to be "blueprint"-like.  Does the program above 
produce layout drawings, with the special tree, fence, etc. symbols?  I 
really don't need all the special graphics stuff.

In fact I'm the only one doing my design on a PC in this class.  Most are 
doing hand-drawings.

thanks,
bill j.
-- 
*** "Keep it simple: as simple as possible, but no simpler." - A. 
Einstein ***

---

From: Rusty Carr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 1996 08:54:04 -0400

Hello Bill J.
  No, these programs we're discussing are photgraphic in nature, not 
plan drawings. If you are only doing one on a computer, it's going to be 
hard for you because you're going to have to learn a computer program 
just to produce 1 drawing. If you have a CDROM, try LandDesigner 3D, by 
Sierra, formerly Green Thumb Software. They have "Wizards" to help with 
property layout and house footprints, I use it as my primary CAD 
program. Most L/As use AutoCAD, a much more complex and further ranging 
program than the ones we've been discussing. Good luck, hope this helps.