Subject: Looking for landscaping idea resources

From: "Carol C. Kankelborg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:48:46 GMT

I am looking for a book or other reference that contains landscaping
ideas with lots of pictures to help visualize things.  Ideally,
such a book would be targeted to the Mountain West regions.
So far I have only found books targeted at the mechanics of
landscaping one's lot rather than the aesthetic/artistic aspects.

We have a half-acre, flat, tree-less, dirt lot (with a house on it)
in South-western MT (Zone 4, I'm told)
that we need to landscape.  I'd like to do something a bit 
different from the norm (though I'm not sure what "normal" is), that
is not too outlandish, and that focuses on species that are hardy
in this region.  I've tried to pay attention to what other people
have done, but I'd like to know more about what principles govern
aesthetic landscaping, such as what shapes blend well with each
other and a house of a given size/shape, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Carol Kankelborg
[email-masked]

The above opinions are strictly my own.

---

From: Morgle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 11:27:13 -0500

I would love to know where in Texas you live. I live in Austin and have
yet to find any design type classes. I'm trying to go into Landscape
Design and am a stay at home mom. So right now I'm studying via
correspondence. 

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, G Thurman wrote:

> Carol C. Kankelborg wrote:
> > 
> > ideas with lots of pictures to help visualize things.  
> 
> In Texas we have county agriculture agents. The local agent and a college 
> Prof sponsors a landscaping class for couples.
> 
> For 20$ we attended 6 weekly classes of 2 hours each and had our 
> landscape design critiqued on a Saturday.
> 
> If it's available in your area, it's the best $ we ever spent on 
> landscaping. Included with the lessons are recommendations for books by 
> the pro's.
> 
> -- 
> Ignorance is not knowing, knowing you don't know, and caring.
> Ignorance can be cured.
> Stupidity is not knowing, not knowing you don't know, and not caring.
> Only death cures stupidity.
> 
>

---

From: Kellie Snider <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:45:09 -0600

For landscaping ideas I always run to the library.  They have local 
books, and if I find one really useful I can buy if AFTER I try it and 
not waste any money!

-- 

Signed - Kellie
____________________________________________________
My Karma ran over my Dogma.  It was a Catastrophe.  
Now my Dogma's Dead and my Karma's out of alignment.
____________________________________________________

---

From: G Thurman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:25:20 -0700

---

From: Dave/Bobbie Fehr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 05:41:33 -0700

Carol C. Kankelborg wrote:
> landscaping one's lot rather than the aesthetic/artistic aspects.I'd recommend any book by Ken Druse, though not exactly a 'landscaping' 
book, his book the Natural Habitat Garden can inspire one to do the 
'right thing'.  This spring I went to a facinating lecture by C. Colston 
Burrell.  His books, so far are fine, but the lecture - Art, Ecology and 
the Exuberant Garden, soars!  He's the president of Native Landscape 
Design and Restoration, in Minneapolis.
Hope some of this helps.
Bobbie  zone 4 Wisconsin