Subject: The Future of LA and Usenet

From: [email-masked] (Lance Foster)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 21:08:20 GMT

I was reading Kevin Lyle's posting and a sense of deja vu arose.  His second
posting <<sigh>> implied that he received feedback somehow implying that his
sincere attempt to begin an interesting thread on the future of landscape
architecture was somehow "negative."

I posted a long time ago, also asking sincere feedback on the realities of
landscape architecture and salaries, kind of friendly "war stories" of the
real world...not to imply that academia is not the real world :-).

I got slammed pretty good by a bunch of people who believed that my question
was "garbage" and my professors also received some degree of similar
feedback.  These two incidents make me wonder about whether people really
understand what a Usenet group is really about.  I suspect that most of
these people are not that familiar with them, and are used to quite a degree
of control.

Usenet newsgroups are like huge Public Bulletin Boards, widely distributed
electronically, like Perot's "electronic town hall", where anyone who has an
opinion may express it freely.  Most Usenet groups are dedicated to a
defined topic, although overflow always occurs (just check out alt.hawaii
for an example, haha).

If the owners of the group wish to specifically limit the kinds of
discussions that occur on that Usenet group, then they need to moderate that
group ("edit" it).  It is also a very good idea for the owners to
periodically post FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) every couple of weeks or
so, so that guidelines can be referred to.  HOWEVER...

Freedom of speech, as well as academic freedom, are both rights and
responsibilities.  I found nothing in any of my or Kevin's postings that
warranted such priggish responses.  After reading umpteen boring postings on
"what spreadsheet should i use" or "could somebody landscape my lawn in
California" or "should landscape contractors have their own newsgroup" or
"what is the coolest landscape drawing program", all of which HAVE THEIR
PLACE HERE, we (students...remember, the FUTURE of landscape architecture!)
get slammed for some good SOLID questions or points of departure for
potentially fruitful discussion.

This IS still America (I think).  Landscape Architecture IS at a point of
transition.  Old ways of thinking need to be examined.  We are seeing a
wider schism developing between landscape architects and contractors, the
end result of which CANNOT be of benefit to good stewardship of the land.

Students like Kevin and I will continue to try and breathe life into this
rather lifeless newsgroup whenever WE FEEL IT IS WARRANTED.  If anybody has
a point of contention with anything that is said, they are welcome to debate
the point on the group.  If they have a problem with what I say, they are
welcomed to debate my point or disagree.  This IS America.  This is a much
better way of resolving issues, to address one in person rather than skulk
around and try to get at a student by snide remarks through a student's
professor.  In this way, honorable and fruitful discussions may be made,
rather than a bunch of sneaky string-pulling by control freaks who should
take a chill pill because their fear is showing (this is known as a "flame",
for those among you who do not grasp the Usenet newsgroup concept) :-).
And that last little mark ":-)" is known as a smile, to indicate emotions
that accompany the text..  ;-) (a wink).

This IS the new electronic frontier, where rules (if there ARE any) are in
constant disarray and flux, as in any frontier situation.  And the fearful
and controlling had better understand the freedom and the interchange of
information that is offered here as part of our civil liberties as well as
our responsibilities to our chosen field.

If people are upset by anything here, then you are welcome to address this
discussion here.  If I hear of any more "roundabout" disagreements, you can
take it for granted that I am laughing in your face.  And if you think this
posting is a flame, well, I feel obligated to warn you to never try IRC
 (Internet Relay Chat), because that WOULD give you the fits.

The future of landscape architecture/contracting...the world itself...is not
assured and we need free-flowing information.  Take a look at other
newsgroups, explore the 'Net (yes, even IRC!), and be brave and open.  This
is your time on earth.  Dare to be great, instead of comfortable.

Respectfully,

Lance Foster
M.A., Anthropology/Archaeology
Student in BLA/MLA program at Iowa State University

-- 
Lance Foster
[email-masked]
"Pi ramanyi ho!"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 10:45:07 EST

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Lance Foster) writes:
 
>I got slammed pretty good ...
    I thought the questions raised about salary and the future of the profes-
sion were excellent, and I was looking forward to the responses. Frankly, I'm
kind of shocked that you got negative responses mailed directly to you. First,
I thought responses would be mailed to the group, so we could discuss the
issues. Second, generally I find landscape architects a kind of laid back group
compared to many in other professions, so I was surprised people got angry at
such fair and good questions. And then e-mailing your professors? How strange.
     At any rate, I didn't respond because I didn't think I had a whole lot to
offer. I've been free-lancing in native-plant design since I got my master's in
landscape architecture and have only recently gotten a full-time job with a
county myself. At my interview there seemed to be much interest in native
plants and possible management practices using them. I felt very good about it.
I hope this message arrives at the news group in the proper form. I've never
done this before.     Leah Pine ([email-masked])