Subject: Re: Any software out there people use?

From: [email-masked] (Rob LeBlanc)
Date: 1 Dec 1994 08:59:07 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (IdenR) wrote:

> Is there a CAD software package geared specifically to LA that y'all are
> using ? If so, what is it and who makes it ? I know there are flower
> gardening software packages out there but is there something like a kind
> of "Landscape Architect CAD" ?

Yup, its called LANDCAD. Its an add on to AutoCAD. It's pretty good but
real expensive (like AutoCAD). At one point you needed atuocad to run it.
It may be stand alone now, I'm not sure. What kind of stuff do you want to
do? Any CAD package will work if you have a good library of symbols.

Rob
-- 
EDM Environmental Design and Management Limited

---

From: [email-masked] (EarleLA)
Date: 6 Dec 1994 20:35:05 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] Iden R.

using ? If so, what is it and who makes it ? I know there are flower
gardening software packages out there but is there something like a kind
of "Landscape Architect CAD" ?<

I don't know of any specialized software for LA CAD unless you want to
count the LandCADD extension to AutoCAD. But, there is plenty of good
software for both PC and Macs. I happen to be more familiar with Mac
software. At the high end you can get AutoCAD or MicroStation. At a lower
end cost level I have found MiniCAD to be an excellent program for
landscape architecture drawing. It does wonderful things with countor line
reshaping. There is a program from Australia called MacRoad the is
excellent. You should also check on the latest version of VALE for doing
material takeoffs and cost estimating. PS Don't get more CAD than you need
to do the job you want done. You will be wasting money on training and
time spent trying to remember stuff if you don't use it for awhile.