Subject: deer

From: [email-masked] (alan silverman)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 1995 01:35:00

how do you keep deer from eating everything

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Armstrong)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 10:42:13 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, Andrea Desin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [email-masked] (A. Dale Hutchinson) wrote:
> >Feed them.  I had a friend up in upstate NY that had a similar problem
> >until he put a feeding trough on the back of his garage.
> >[email-masked] (alan silverman) wrote:
> Thoughtful, but given that fact that deer can host the tick that carries
> Lyme Disease, I'm not sure I'd want to encourage them.

Perhaps also consider that feeding the deer upsets their natural foraging
patterns (granted that planting a garden also does that to a (lesser)
extent).  Have you thought about buying a dog or two?  Planting deer
resistant plants is also a good idea.  Has anyone tried hot-wire to keep
them out (either along the top of the fence or around particularly
susceptible plants like your vegetable garden?

Ed.

-- 
Ed Armstrong
Graduate student
Land planning, 3d modeling and visualization
-------------------------------
Dept of Landscape Architecture
University of Oregon

---

From: [email-masked] (Smilemker)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 22:03:56 -0400

Please keep in mind that feeding deer during the winter must be done with
an eye towards duplicating there normal food supply.  The acid in a deers
stomach will change according to the food available and to feed deer that
which is not commonly available at any particular time of the year is not
always safe for the deer.  Feeding corn, for instance, in February long
after harvests are in may cause the deer intestinal problems.  A dog
barking is a good solution.