Subject: LARCH-L Digest - 1 Jul 1996 to 2 Jul 1996

From: [email-masked] (Toney Lowery)
Date: 3 Jul 1996 05:14:41 GMT

Date:     Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:01:35 -0400
Reply-To: Landscape Architecture Electronic Forum <[email-masked]>
Sender: Landscape Architecture Electronic Forum <[email-masked]>
From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:  LARCH-L Digest - 1 Jul 1996 to 2 Jul 1996
To: Recipients of LARCH-L digests <[email-masked]>

There are 4 messages totalling 186 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Tree ID Web Pages
  2. tree identification
  3. Tree identification
  4. Greenways Book Offer

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Jul 1996 07:28:51 -0400
From:    Jack Ahern <[email-masked]>
Subject: Tree ID Web Pages

RE:  Tree ID on the Web
The University of Delaware Plant Science Department has an impressive
on-line plant infor data and image base, also check out the American
Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta (AABGA), University of
Illinois.  Sierra has some CD products, I believe.

Jack Ahern, Associate Professor
Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003
Phone        (413)  545-6632
Fax              (413) 545-1772
EMAIL :    [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Jul 1996 08:51:12 -0400
From:    "Terry L. Clements" <[email-masked]>
Subject: tree identification

>Jack Hunter asked
>Does anyone out there know of any tree and plant identification
>software,cd-rom or web pages?
>
The University of Florida and the USDA Forest Service, Southern Region put
together a cd-rom that addresses southern trees.  "Southern Trees:  An
Expert System for Selecting Trees."   The cd includes both DOS and Windows
versions.

--- terry
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:41:04 -0400
From:    Tamela Dawn Michaels <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Tree identification

Jack,

I have found 2 websites we used briefly in tree identification,
University of Delaware Botanical Garden and Ohio State. Delaware was my
favorite and Dr. John Frett was quite accomodating in delaying a server
upgrade to allow us to use it in the classroom <[email-masked]>.
UDBG has sound clips to help students pronounce the botanical names....

Since I haven't mastered my SUNOS yet, I can only offer you my HORT100
webpage
at UofM.... follow Urban Tree Survivability and see Plant Selection. It
will provide the mentioned links and maybe a few more tid-bits.

http://www.inform.umd.edu/HORT/CourseInformation/Courses-Spring/HORT100/

I also have a CD from Better Homes and Gardens: Complete Guide to
Gardening. Limited plant selection and supportive material but images are
excellent.

E-mail Dr. Gerry Deitzer ([email-masked]) and ask about plant ID CD,
he showed it to me once.

Maybe someone should suggest a "Digital Dirr" to Michael?

FYI: Don't plan digital labs on Friday afternoons.... the world seems to
start surfing about 2:00, connection time with images was slow or
impossible. Good luck!

Tamela Michaels
Graduate Student
University of Maryland
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 2 Jul 1996 12:19:32 -0400
From:    Jack Ahern <[email-masked]>
Subject: Greenways Book Offer

This is an announcement for a new book, that is being distributed through a
non-profit venture by the editors.

Greenways: The Beginning of an International Movement
Edited by Julius Gy Fabos and Jack Ahern
Elsevier Publishing Company
491 pages, hardcover

The book includes: 26 papers on greenway history, theory, implementation
and case studies.  Originally published as a Special Issue of Landscape and
Urban Planning Journal (Fall 1995)

The publisher is selling the book for $231US.  Through a bulk order, the
editors have obtained a nearly 75% discount and are selling the book at
cost to get it into wider circulation.  The price is $50US plus postage and
handling ($5US  US and Canada, $10US other countries).

Greenways: The Beginning of an International Movement

Table of Contents

Introduction and Overview: The greenway movement, uses, potentials of
greenways,  Julius Gy. Fabos

Part I. The Greenway Movement and its origins

Greenways and the US National Park System,  Ervin H. Zube
A comprehensive conservation strategy for Georgia's greenways, Kerry    Dawson.
>From  greenbelt to greenways:four Canadian case studies,  Jim. Taylor,
        C. Paine, J. Fitzgibbon
The evolution of greenways as an adaptive urban landscape form,
Robert M. Searns
Greenways and the making of urban form,  Anthony Walmsley

Part II. Greenway Planning

Greenways as a planning strategy, Jack Ahern
Environmentally sensitive areas: a template for developing greenway
corridors, Forester Ndubisi, Terry DeMeo, Niel D. Ditto
Greenway planning: developing a landscape ecological network approach,
John Linehan, Meir Gross, John Finn
International greenways: a Red River Valley case study, John B. Burley
An ecological framework for the planning, design, and management of urban
river greenways, L. .A. Bashak and R. D. Brown
A landscape ecological model for wildlife enhancement of stormwater
management practices in urban greenways, Christopher P. McGuckin,       and
Robert D. Brown
South Florida greenways: a conceptual framework for the ecological
reconnectivity of the region,  Juan A. Bueno, V.A. Tsihrintzis, and
Leonardo Alvarez.
Greenways, blueways, skyways and other ways to a better london, Tom     Turner
An experiment in greenway analysis and assessment: the Danube River,
        G. Tzolova
Cultural landscapes and landscape ecology in contemporary greenway
planning, design and management: a case study , T.G. Yahner, N. Korostoff,
T.P. Johnson, A. Mark Battaglia and D.R. Jones
Greenways as vehicles for expression,  Annaliese Bischoff
Social, aesthetic and ecological aspects of hedgerows in rural landscapes
as a  framework for greenways, F. Burel, and J. Baudry
Scenic routes linking and protecting natural and cultural landscape
features: as a greenway skeleton,  R. L. Kent, and C. L. Elliott
Using visual assessment as a foundation for greenway planning in the St.
Lawrence River Valley,  S. Shannon, R. Smardon,  and M. Knudson

Part III. Perception and implementation of greenways

Rural greenway planning: the role of streamland perception in   landowner
acceptance of land management strategies,  C.C. Schrader
Integrating public safety and use into planning urban greenways,
        D. T. Luymes, and K. Tamminga
Perception and use of a metropolitan greenway system for recreation,
        P.H. Gobster
Greenway planning and growth management:partners in     conservation?
B.A. Ryder
Building greenway policies within a participatory democracy framework,
        A. P. Hoover, and M.A. Shannon
Urban greenways and public ways: realizing public ideas in a fragmented
world, M. Quayle

To Order a Copy of the book, please send check, or Purchase Order, (book
$50 plus postage and handling ($5US  US and Canada, $10US other countries).

To:

Greenways International
c/o  Julius Fabos
45 Canton Avenue
Amherst MA  01002
USA

message submitted by:

Jack Ahern, Associate Professor
Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003
Phone        (413)  545-6632
Fax              (413) 545-1772
EMAIL :    [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of LARCH-L Digest - 1 Jul 1996 to 2 Jul 1996
************************************************

############################
PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS POST IN ONE OF THE FOLOWING WAYS

#1 Directly to LARCH-L if you subscribe

#2 As a follow-up to this post

#3 As seperate message with 'LARCH' in the subject

If you reply as a follow-up or as a seperate message I'll forward back to
LARCH-L

Please DO NOT reply to me directly about a LARCH-L post.
Thanks
###########################

-- 
Toney Lowery
Soon to be graduating (MS Landscape Architecture)...
and Sooner to be a Dad! (begging for congrats)

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.intersurf.com/~tlowery

"Easily Distracted by Shiny Objec... Hey! What's That!?!?