Subject: forsythia & septic field

From: [email-masked] (john sparling)
Date: 5 Sep 1996 02:44:59 GMT

Can anyone advise if forsythia is acceptable within 10' of a septic 
field? I'm concerned that the roots may cause problems.

I want to use the forsythia as a hedge to provide a boundary between a 
septic field and a dirt cottage road near a lake inland Nova Scotia. If 
forsythia won't work, can you recommend something else ? I'm looking for 
something with some colour, low maintenance, perennial, no thorns, and 
won't clog the septic field.

Thanks.

John S, Halifax, NS, Canada

---

From: Shahna Lax <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Sep 1996 13:28:58 GMT

Dear John,
One option you may consider which would extend your planting options is the 
septic field environment is the use of copper screening which inhibits root 
elongation.  This copper/root effect has proved useful in the nursery industry 
as well as in municipal sidewalk pours.  I'm excited about its implications 
for use in conjunction with foundation plantings of small trees and shrubs 
whose roots are prevented from infiltrating the foundation walls in search of 
plumbing.  

You may wish to check out *Stewardship Tools* at http://www.
slv.org/SAGUACHE/steward.htm and look up the information under "Copper Wire 
Screening."  I have a good deal of background literature in my files to 
substantiate this method should you wish to pursue it.

Sincerely,
Shahna Lax
Stewardship Tools