Subject: retaining walls

From: Shawn Berglund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:19:19 -0800

i'm just starting a major overhaul of my yard starting with clearing 
1 acre trees. i live in a raised ranch with 2 car garage underneath. i 
would like to incorperate retaining walls along the driveway and to 
offset the elevation in the back yard.any help i can get on how to pick 
the right wall, price considerations,and installation tips would be 
greatly appreciated.              thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas S. Blue)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 20:52:41 GMT

>greatly appreciated.              thanks

In most states you will need a PE to design (sign off) on any
retaining wall over six (6) feet in height.

TSBlue

---

From: [email-masked] (Codyarch)
Date: 20 Mar 1996 23:39:30 -0500

Call an Architect.  The modest fee is always worth it in the end.

---

From: [email-masked] (EJGOLD)
Date: 21 Mar 1996 19:48:11 -0500

(reference post below)

A lot will depend on how much room you have to install this wall, how tall
it needs to be, how much you are willing to spend, and the look you
prefer.  I assume the wall will be under 4' high or you probably would
have mentioned the height.

RAILROAD TIES/ TIMBER: pro's: cheap, easy to construct, warm looking.
cons: prone to decay; not a serious long term solution.

CONCRETE: pros: very durable, very "flexible" (from a design standpoint),
can be customized to match the architecture of any house.  cons: costly,
time consuming to construct, can appear very cold if not designed well.

DRY LAID ROCK/ ROCKERY:  pros:  fairly durable if done well,  can be very
attractive with the right stones, pretty cheap and easy to build.  cons:
can be ugly, messy, prone to falling apart if not built well.

One of these types of retaining wall should match your needs.
And remember, always check your local building codes before you even THINK
about doing ANYTHING to your land!  Your neighbors are watching!!    : )

==============================================
Subject: retaining walls
From: Shawn Berglund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:19:19 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>