Subject: Lack of relevant LA postings...A soultion?

From: [email-masked] (Toney Lowery)
Date: 7 Jun 1996 22:48:26 GMT

Hi all

A few weeks ago there were a couple posts bemoaning the lack of relevant
posting on "alt.landscape.architecture". While the tone of these posts may
not have been diplomatic the complaint was accurate.

There are few posts about the aspects and issues surrounding the
profession of Landscape Architecture. Most posts are home owners seeking
advice, commercial suppliers plugging products or complete spam (i.e. the
current dating service posts).

To my mind there are several reasons for this....

1) No need for alt.landscape.architecture...
It may be that this newsgroup isn't necessary. The landscape architecture
listserver (LARCH-L) does a great job of having informative, lively
discussions on many issues and challenges facing the profession. The ALSA
web site is trying to get discussions going there. Perhaps these are the
only forums needed.

2) Not enough Internet providers carrying the newgroup...
"alt.landscape.architecture" is a relatively new group. It may be that
many providers are not carrying it on their list. Most times new newgroups
need to be requested before a provider will carry it. But if people don't
know that it exists they can't request it. Catch-22

3) A lack of critical mass...
It may be the lack of relevant postings itself is the cause. In my
experience, newsgroups have a life of their own. Messages posted to a
group generate responses which leads to more responses. And so on...

4) A lack of direction...
Some newgroups are moderated. This certainly keeps out the spam. To me
though moderated groups always seem a bit sterile. Part of the appeal of
newsgroups is the freewheeling discussions that instant responses
generates. 

Another method for directing the posts is the establishment of a FAQ
(Frequently Asked Questions). A<n?> FAQ lets people know what is an
appropriate post, protocol for responding, etc. This doesn't mean that
every person will follow it but it does at least set out some guidelines. 

I'm under the impression that the problem lies with the last two of these
reasons. At least that's my hope. My feeling is landscape architecture
needs as many forums as possible to discuss issues and seek information. 

A newsgroup's ability to educate the public and allied fields about the
profession should not be overlooked. Newsgroups can be much easier to
locate and use than a listserver. If "alt.landscape.architecture"
continues as is, a powerful and accessible method to inform about
landscape architecture will be lost.

So..

I'm considering posting the messages from LARCH-L to
"alt.landscape.architecture". I plan to send relevant responses back to
LARCH-L. This method will greatly expand the scope of posts on this group.
Selective reposts back to LARCH-L will keep out the spam associated with
unmoderated newsgroups.

Do you think this is a worthwhile effort? Yes or no? If it looks like
enough people are in favor, then I'll organize the effort. {It's not a big
effort to redirect messages. I waste a lot of time on-line anyway. :) }

Also....

Do you think formally establishing a<n?> FAQ is a good idea? Yes or no?
Again if enough interest is shown, I'll try to get the ball rolling.
{Anything to dodge working on thesis :) }

And......

Please check to see if your provider is carrying
"alt.landscape.architecture". If not, request it. If you have access to
the group, use it. If you're currently using LARCH-L exclusively, post
your messages to the group too. We need that critical mass. Reposting
LARCH-L is a stopgap measure and a rough one at that.

Thanks for reading and sorry about the length.

-- 
Toney Lowery

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.intersurf.com/~tlowery

"Easily Distracted by Shiny Objec... Hey! What's That!?!?

-- 
Toney Lowery

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.intersurf.com/~tlowery

"Easily Distracted by Shiny Objec... Hey! What's That!?!?

---

From: Andrea Liv Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:39:28 GMT

Toney

I support all of what you propose.  I have been lurking here for a while 
now and would be very excited to see discussions pertaining to the 
profession of LA.  Send me a note if I can be of assistance.

Andrea Spencer