Subject: Need sumac advice

From: [email-masked] (Stan Linhorst)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 21:53:22 UNDEFINED

We need to get rid of a stand of sumac trees thriving in our new backyard.

Any advice?

---

From: [email-masked] (EMSplants)
Date: 29 Feb 1996 08:51:26 -0500

Are you sure that you want to get rid of the stand of "thriving" sumac?
In some states, it is a hot nursery item.  Sumac can be a very beautiful
plant (unless it is the poisonous type, in which case it is beautiful but
dangerous).  The red berried sumac is a great landscape plant if it is in
the right location (such as a perimeter, naturalistic bed).  You can also
make sumacade (like lemonade) by straining the red fuzzy berries through
hot water and adding sugar.  
If however, you feel that it is necessary to remove the stand, I suggest
cutting the sumac back to the ground, waiting for it to resprout, then
hitting it with a strong concentration of Round-Up (herbicide).  You might
need to repeat this method a second time, but if done correctly, should
take care of the problem.
Good luck! (or enjoy, whichever the decision!)