Subject: Re: Need free advice

From: [email-masked] (Toney Lowery)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 07:51:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (DANMAC) wrote:

> I am buying a small house and would like to do a little landscaping.  I had in
> mind a few flat shrubs, flowers, maybe a small tree.  I have a very small
> area, just around the front door that I would like to do.  The problem is,
> I have never planted anything in my life, and don't know where to begin.
> I live in Arkansas, we have hot summers and cold winters.  Anyone have any
> free advice or know of any inexpensive books that might help me get 
> started?  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

There's really no way you can get advice like this over a newsgroup. An
Landscape Architect (LA) or Landscape Designer (LD) really needs much more
info than you've given.

He/She needs to 

1) See your property. There are a thousand questions that need to be
answered. What is the existing landscape? How big is the property? Where
does the home sit on the property? Any positive/negative views? What is
the character of the area? What is the style and/or historical
significance of your home? And so on....

2) Talk to you and your family. What's your personality/style/tastes like?
Have any kids? If so, what age? Have any pets? How long are you going to
be in the home? What's your routine during the week and on the weekends?
Do you garden? If so, what kind ornamental, vegetable? Any plans to expand
the home? Do you entertain? If so how often and how formal? And so on...

There's also zoning regulations, home owner association regulations,
insurance considerations, local availability of plants, availability of
personal/contractors for any construction, irrigation, lighting. And so
on....

A qualified, reputable Landscape Architect/Designer needs all this
information and more before even beginning the design. 

I would suggest contacting a LA or LD in your area. The first place to
look is the yellow pages. You can ask others in your area for references.
Also some plant nurseries offer design services. A note of caution though.
Some (not all) will use only the plants they have in stock. If the nursery
is carries a wide variety this won't be a problem. 

When you contact a LA/LD have your questions ready. Be up front about what
level of service you are expecting.  

Do you want everything from a design to full installation? Just a design
that you'll install? Some LA/LD's, for a variety of reasons (from
insurance liability to concern for design integrity), may not hand over
just a design.

Ask about rates. Some don't charge for initial consultations. Others may
start the clock immediately. And don't forget to ask about after project
services and costs. Some may offer maintence services. 

Ask what you will get for your money. Will you get a only a layout or plan
view (overhead view) of the design. If you're not used to reading plans or
blueprints it may be worth the money to get sections, elevations (side
views) and perspectives. Ask if what you get will be in black and white or
color. Remember that color drawings are usually easier to understand but
color can cost extra.

Ask to see examples of past work. This is a good time to see if the LA/LD
and you can work together. Check on the LA/LD's view of design. You don't
have to match completely but it's necessary that the LA/LD understand your
tastes.  For instance if you like a strong, clean look and everything the
LA/LD says and shows you has a rough, naturalistic look you might want to
consider choosing someone else.

Ask for references from past clients and CALL them. Ask the past client if
the work was done in a timely manner. Are they happy with the design? Does
it meet their needs and expectations? 

************

As for recommendations on books...

Personally I've got tons of books on design, plants, specifications etc.
etc. etc. The problem with consulting only a book is that they can't teach
experience. For example, you can get a book about car repair, but would
you really feel comfortable rebuilding the engine?

Remember even if you do everything yourself, you'll still be spending alot
of money and be living with it for a long time

-- 
Toney Lowery
Soon to be graduating (MS Landscape Architecture)...
and Sooner to be a Dad! (begging for congrats)

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.intersurf.com/~tlowery

"Easily Distracted by Shiny Objec... Hey! What's That!?!?