Subject: LARCH-L Digest - 21 Jul 1996 to 22 Jul 1996

From: [email-masked] (Toney Lowery)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 04:43:04 GMT

Date:     Tue, 23 Jul 1996 00:01:05 -0400
Reply-To: Landscape Architecture Electronic Forum <[email-masked]>
Sender: Landscape Architecture Electronic Forum <[email-masked]>
From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:  LARCH-L Digest - 21 Jul 1996 to 22 Jul 1996
To: Recipients of LARCH-L digests <[email-masked]>

There are 4 messages totalling 322 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Trees
  2. Stormwater and Xeriscape Design (2)
  3. Assistant Professor

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 22 Jul 1996 08:28:23 -0400
From:    Madis Pihlak <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Trees

Ed

Tree Professional from Onyx Computing is the best for non-workstation
software. They are located in Cambridge MA, USA. E-mail me back if you
want me to dig up the address. AMAP and Alias/Wavefront are the best for
Unix workstations. ANd of course the trees dxf into any CADD program you
want.s

madis pihlak
<[email-masked]>

Flaherty wrote:
>
> Readers,
>
> I am a novice with 3D Studio and wonder how any of you put 'realistic'
> trees into these walk throughs?  What is the best of the commercial
> software for this?  And who is currently developing products(commercial or
> academic) along these lines?
>
> I am not talking about photorealism, but rather the quick pencil sketch
> character placed into a 3D Studio like environment, having point of view,
> motion and lighting options
>
> Thank you,
>
> Edward Flaherty
> [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 22 Jul 1996 07:43:13 -0600
From:    GXSHALO0 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Stormwater and Xeriscape Design

     I am trying to find a firm or an individual with experience in
     designing onsite water retention and runoff mitigation types of
     features for filtering and cleansing stormwater.  These include
     swales, berms, dry wells, permeable surfaces, green filter strips,
     sediment traps, etc.  Many of these features are still being
     researched to determine their effectiveness, but some municipalities
     have standards for their design already.

     I am also looking for someone with expertise in xeriscape and drip
     irrigation.

     If anyone knows of someone with such experience, would you please send
     me their names and locations via e-mail?  Thank you.

     Gail Shaloum       [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:28:40 -0400
From:    Madis Pihlak <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Assistant Professor

Ian gave me approval to post this LA Professor postion at the university
of Washington.

Madis Pihlak
Associate Professor & Coordinator
Landscape Architecture Program
University of Maryland
<[email-masked]>

Forwarding note from MAILER  --UMDACC   07/19/96 14:14 ***
 4936; Fri, 19 Jul 96 14:14:49 EDT
Received: from homer24.u.washington.edu by UMDACC.UMD.EDU (IBM VM SMTP
V2R3)
   with TCP; Fri, 19 Jul 96 14:14:48 EDT
Received: from localhost by homer24.u.washington.edu
        (5.65+UW96.06/UW-NDC Revision: 2.33 ) id AA146842;
        Fri, 19 Jul 96 11:08:12 -0700
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 11:08:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Iain Robertson <[email-masked]>
To: "Armstrong,Donald" <[email-masked]>,
        "Bellafiore, Vincent," <[email-masked]>,
        "Booth, Norman" <[email-masked]>,
        "Bremer, Walter" <[email-masked]>,
        "Brown, Terry" <[email-masked]>,
        "Colliton, Dennis" <[email-masked]>,
        "Dalton, Deborah" <[email-masked]>,
        "Drown, Stephen" <[email-masked]>,
        "Fennema, Owen" <[email-masked]>,
        "Ferguson, David" <[email-masked]>,
        "Fife, Edward" <[email-masked]>,
        "Francis, Mark" <[email-masked]>,
        "Girling, Cynthia" <[email-masked]>,
        "Gross, Meir" <[email-masked]>,
        "Hanna, Karen" <[email-masked]>,
        "Havens,  William" <[email-masked]>,
        "Hawks,  Richard" <[email-masked]>,
        "Hendrix, William" <[email-masked]>,
        "Howard, Perry" <[email-masked]>,
        "Hulse, David" <[email-masked]>,
        "Katen, Brian" <[email-masked]>,
        "Keller, Tim" <[email-masked]>,
        "Koepke, John" <[email-masked]>,
        "Man, Cameron" <[email-masked]>,
        "McAvin, Margaret" <[email-masked]>,
        "Meyer, Beth" <[email-masked]>,
        "Molnar, Donald" <[email-masked]>,
        "Musiak, Thomas" <[email-masked]>,
        "Nakaba, Ken" <[email-masked]>,
        "Pennypacker, Eliza" <[email-masked]>,
        "Quayle, Moura" <[email-masked]>,
        "Rauhe, Warren" <[email-masked]>, "Rice,Art" <[email-masked]>
,
        "Schach,Horst" <[email-masked]>,
        "Sharky, Bruce" <[email-masked]>,
        "Simoeni,Angelo" <[email-masked]>,
        "Steiner, Fritz" <[email-masked]>,
        "Strom, Steven" <[email-masked]>,
        "Sutton,Richard" <[email-masked]>,
        "Taylor, Jim" <[email-masked]>,
        "Thomsen, Charles" <[email-masked]>,
        "Toth,Richard" <[email-masked]>,
        "Trowbridge, Peter" <[email-masked]>,
        "Vint, Thomas" <[email-masked]>,
        "Weismiller, Richard" <[email-masked]>,
        "Zuck,John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE UNIVERSITY OF
WASHINGTON
Message-Id: <Pine.A32.3.92a.960719105301.72719A-
[email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

Iain M Robertson
Landscape Architecture
<[email-masked]>

Dear Department Heads:

Attached is an announcement for a faculty opening in the Department of
Landscape Architecture, University of Washington.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in bringing this position
opening to the attention of recent graduates from your program who are
skilled in the application of computers to landscape planning and design
and who have an interest in building a career in academia.

I regret I am unable to attend this year's CELA meeting in Spokane to
meet you personally at the Department Heads' Dinner to discuss this
opening with you and prospective candidates.  I would be very happy to
meet any potential candidates should they be in Seattle following the
CELA
meeting.

Thank you for your assitance in bringing this position to the attention
of
qualified candidates.

Sincerely,

Iain M Robertson
Incoming Chair, Landscape Architecture

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE

Department of Landscape Architecture
University of Washington
Box 355734,
SEATTLE, WA 98195-5734

The Department of Landscape Architecture invites applications for a
full-time, nine-month, tenure track, teaching and research position to
commence in Winter Quarter 1997 or as soon thereafter as the position can
be filled.  This position should be particularly attractive to
individuals
considering entering academic life and wishing to build a teaching and
research career.

QUALIFICATIONS:  A professional degree in Landscape Architecture and a
master's degree in either landscape architecture or a related field.
Demonstrated innovation and professional or educational experience in the
application of computer technology to landscape planning and design.
This
may include experience in GIS, CADD, multi-media presentations, and three
dimensional modeling.  In addition, research and teaching interests in
one
other area of landscape architecture.

RESPONSIBILITIES:  Teaching five courses in the department's graduate and
undergraduate programs; student professional and academic advising and
thesis mentoring; participation in departmental and interdisciplinary
College committees.

Specific teaching assignments are negotiable and many courses are
team-taught.  A typical teaching assignment includes studio courses that
apply computer technology to landscape planning and landscape design;
lecture and seminar courses in landscape planning and ecology, research
methods, and information technology.  The successful applicant is
expected
to develop a graduate course in his or her research field.

The successful candidate will manage and direct the computer lab in the
landscape studio and will be the department's principal representative on
the College's  Computer Use Committee.

The department has a Cooperative Agreement with the Regional Office of
the
National Park Service which provides partial funding for studios and
individual faculty and student research projects on lands within the
regional office's jurisdiction which include Olympic and North Cascades
National Parks.  The successful applicant will lead work under this
agreement and is expected to develop similar teaching and research
opportunities with other national, state and local government agencies.
The department has a record of successful funded research and teaching
agreements with many agencies.

PROGRAM:  The Department of Landscape Architecture is one of four
departments in the College of Architecture and Urban Planning.  There are
seven full-time faculty and 90 students in the department's two
professional programs, the 5-year BLA and the 2-3 year MLA.  The majority
of students in both programs are women.  Students come to the programs
>from  all parts of the country and from Europe and Asia.

The department enjoys good relations with other departments in the
College
and with many units throughout the University.  Opportunities for
interdisciplinary collaboration are strong and are encouraged in both
teaching and research.  Department faculty and students participate in
the
College's interdisciplinary Urban Design and Historic Preservation
certificate programs and in foreign studies programs through the
College's
Rome Center and established exchange programs in Europe and Southeast
Asia.

The department is strongly committed to contributing to the development
of
landscape architecture at all scales from the University's beautiful
600-acre campus, through the region's unique landscapes and cultures, to
global issues of sustainability.

APPLICATION:  Applicants should send the following materials:

1  A current Curriculum Vitae

2  A letter of application.  This should include a narrative description
of your background, qualifications for the position, information on
courses you have taught or co-taught and research grants you have
received,a discussion of your philosophy of design education
and the application of computer technology, and a discussion of your
current and future research interests.

        Iain M Robertson, Chair
        Department of Landscape Architecture
        University of Washington
        Box 355734
        Seattle,  WA 98195-5734.

Enquiries about the position should be directed to Iain M Robertson
Tel:  (206) 543-9240
FAX: (206) 6895-4486
e-mail:  [email-masked]

APPLICATION DEADLINE:  25 September 1996.  The search may be extended if
a
suitable candidate is not identified.  All applicants will be notified of
the decision early in December.

The University of Washington is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution and is building a culturally diverse community of teaching
faculty.  Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 22 Jul 1996 16:28:50 +0600
From:    Patrick <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Stormwater and Xeriscape Design

>     I am trying to find a firm or an individual with experience in
>     designing onsite water retention and runoff mitigation types of
>     features for filtering and cleansing stormwater.  These include
>     swales, berms, dry wells, permeable surfaces, green filter strips,
>     sediment traps, etc.  Many of these features are still being
>     researched to determine their effectiveness, but some municipalities
>     have standards for their design already.

A real hot firm doing this type of work is Biohabitats, Inc, 303 Allegheny
Av., Towson, MD 21204 -  (410) 337-3659

>
>     I am also looking for someone with expertise in xeriscape and drip
>     irrigation.
>
>     If anyone knows of someone with such experience, would you please send
>     me their names and locations via e-mail?  Thank you.
>
>     Gail Shaloum       [email-masked]
>
Patrick Miller, Professor and Head
Landscape Architecture Department
202 Architecture Annex
Virginia, Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0113
Telephone: 540-231-5506
FAX:  540-231-3367
E-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of LARCH-L Digest - 21 Jul 1996 to 22 Jul 1996
**************************************************

############################
PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS POST IN ONE OF THE FOLOWING WAYS

#1 Directly to LARCH-L if you subscribe

#2 As a follow-up to this post

#3 As seperate message with 'LARCH' in the subject

If you reply as a follow-up or as a seperate message I'll forward back to
LARCH-L

Please DO NOT reply to me directly about a LARCH-L post.
Thanks
###########################

-- 
Toney Lowery
Soon to be graduating (MS Landscape Architecture)...
and Sooner to be a Dad! (begging for congrats)

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.intersurf.com/~tlowery

"Easily Distracted by Shiny Objec... Hey! What's That!?!?