Subject: SALARY REALITIES

From: [email-masked] (Lance Foster)
Date: 20 Dec 1994 05:28:29 GMT

I am making a lot of decisions as a student as to where my future career
path might lead.  Of course, financial realities are an element in this
planning.  After asking other students, professors, reading sources, etc.,
only one thing seems to be coming up again and again:  landscape
architecture is a low-paying profession.

The question I would like to put to this newsgroup is this:  What are the
salary realities for landscape architects?  BLA vs MLA?  What is the range
for LA's in private practice (from beginning unlicensed draftsperson all the
way to principal in a major firm...and how long this progression takes)? 
How about academe (from instructor through tenure track and up to full
professor)?  Or how about government (federal, state, etc.)?  In other
words, what is the probable minimum an LA must face in starting his/her
career?  What is the pie-in-the-sky maximum (retaining one's ethics of
course)?

I realize that there are government occupational sources for this kind of
thing, but I'd like some real-life responses to this question.  I plan on
marrying in a couple of years and I would like some genuine grist for the
discussion mill.  I am tired of avoidance of this real question by those I
ask, and appreciate any solid, personal experience responses anyone can
offer.

Thanks:)
Lance Foster ([email-masked])

-- 
Lance Foster
[email-masked]
"Pi ramanyi ho!"