Subject: Are Landscape Architects "Tree Pluckers"??????

From: [email-masked](Lormic)
Date: 22 Sep 1996 06:15:18 GMT

Hello fellow designers,

I have been reading the postings on this news group for a few weeks now
and would like to rock the boat and start some conversation.  I am a
landscape designer working with a landscape architect and am looking
forward to getting ASLA certified as a landscape architect.   I am from
a state which has what is called a "Tittle Law".  Tittle law means you
can not call yourself a Landscape Architect unless you have passed the
test and met all the requirements in this state which certifies you as
a landscape architect.  Many states have both a tittle law and a
practice law.  My question and topic of discussion is this:

If our profession "Landscape Architecture" goes to great lengths to
establish ourselves as design professionals with tittle and status with
both tittle and practice laws, then why are we so misunderstood by the
public in what we do?  How can we educate the public to understand the
broad scale of  work landscape architects can do?  I am sick and tired
of being asked what type of fungus or problem a plant has  or what can
I do to help someone out with there back yard.  I do not want to be
known as a tree plucker.  Finally if the tittle of landscape architect
does not mean anything other than people who plant trees why do we have
the tittle?