Subject: Landscape/xeriscaping

From: [email-masked] (Wadeschirm)
Date: 11 Feb 1995 12:06:12 -0500

I'm doing a paper on xeriscaping and trying to find a phone number for the
National Xeriscape Council.  They were located in Roswell, GA.  Also, any
other information on Xeriscape.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mattison)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 12:27:41 GMT

Wadeschirm ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm doing a paper on xeriscaping and trying to find a phone number for the
: National Xeriscape Council.  They were located in Roswell, GA.  Also, any
: other information on Xeriscape.

Call East Bay Municipal Utility District in Oakland, Ca.

They have wonderful publications.

Mattison FitzGerald
Principal 'M' Design
San Jose - Menlo Park

---

From: Rachel Nation <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Feb 1995 02:46:57 GMT

The City of Austin reimburses residents who xeriscape up to $240.  The
Environmental & Conservation Services Department produces many nice pamphlets,
which, last time I checked are available for FREE.  You might also ask for a
free subscription to their one page monthly called Water Conservation Times
c/o City of Austin Environmental and Conservation Services Department, P.O.
Box 1088, Austin, TX  78767.

--rachel nation
http://naftalab.bus.utexas.edu/~rachel/formica.html

---

From: Rachel Nation <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Feb 1995 22:45:19 GMT

Dear Lynn,

Xericscaping is creative landscaping for water and energy efficiency.  I think
the Greek word Xeros means dry.  Anyway, xeriscapes are low maintenance
landscapes which look a lot like traditional landscapes.  Xeriscaping is
becoming increasingly popular in the Southwestern United States where it is
not environmentally or economically feasible to pour loads of water on typical
green turf lawns.  

In Central Texas, 40-60% of annual water used is for maintaining landscapes. 
It has been estimated that up to half of that amount can be saved if people
utilized drought-resistant plants and/or native/low water use plants like
wildflowers and native grasses as alternatives to traditional lawns. 
Xeriscapers pay attention to proper drainage and water sparingly but
throroughly.  Grass clippings are used in compost piles or are left on the
grass rather than being stuffed in plastic bags to take up landfill space. 
Plants can also be strategically placed to save energy.  Hmm, that's what I
can think of off the top of my head . . . I'm not a landscape architect and
I'm not at home where my literature is.  

Cheers,

--rachel

---

From: [email-masked] (QTSINC)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 14:46:46 -0500

I live in Tucson, AZ. and Xeriscaping is a way of life for most of us here
with water prices incredibly expensive.  What many of us do here is employ
transitional landscaping where you use xeriscaping along the outer limits
of the property, then employ more lush vegitation in the mid-section of
the property and create a "mini-oasis" in the backyard or courtyard area
of the home.