Subject: Re: What are Landscape Architects??????

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 09:42:22 -0500

good point.....

The public has the perception of landscape architects as glorified 
gardeners.  The problem as I see it is that the profession doesn't 
have enough exposure as to its true meaning and purpose.  I am a 
landscape architect myself and often I am put in the same position, 
that is people asking me about turf problems, disease of their plants, 
and what not.  What they don't understand is that the profession 
encompasses much more.  They are not aware of grading design, layout, 
site design, as well as all the other technical aspects of the 
profession.  This ignorance is not the publics fault, but rather, the 
profession is not a "high pfofile" profession that poses itself in its 
true light.  The public just associates the profession with what the 
name implies, landscape.  They see it as just someone who deals with 
gardens and plants.  In order for the profession to get its true 
credit, it must first be presented in its true form.  Exposure and 
education to the public are the only real solutions in order for the 
"lay" people to really understand what a landscape architect is and 
does.  This is not an easy task.  I really don't know how it will be 
accomplished, but until the public has a true grasp of what a 
landscape architect is and does, we will continue to be perceived as 
people who tend to turf and plants.