Subject: Re: Change of Career

From: [email-masked] (terry clements)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 12:13:01 -0500

In separate articles Bill Crews and Eric Hutton asked about education for
career change Landscape Architects:

It happens all the time.  Many of our students at Virginia Tech are change
of career students.  The Masters of Landscape Architecture programs are
set up for first and second professional degree students.  The first
degree masters programs are intensive three year programs designed to take
people with little or no background in design or landscape architecture. 
At Virginia Tech, first professional degree students enter into a
qualifying year that prepares students to enter the advanced studies of LA
by providing entry level proficiency in the theory and technology commonly
assiciated with the practice of LA.  The next two years provide
opportunities to further education in these areas as well as to develop
and apply research skill for the ultimate purpose of deepening and
broadening the foundation of the profession.  Whether the final program of
study focuses on design or research, it is expected to be at an advanced
level and to culminate in the preparation of a thesis.

I would be happy to provide more info.
-- 
Terry Clements
VA Tech, Blacksburg
[email-masked]

---

From: David Mandel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 15:15:37 -0700

BCrews-
	Landscape Architecture welcomes people with technical 
backgrounds, as it expands your view and capabilities equally with ours! 
Better design will result from such mergers of knowledge.
			Dave Mandel ([email-masked])

On 7 Apr 1995, BCrews wrote:

> I am consider a career change that will hopefully lead me to become a
> landscape architect.  I am presently 39 and wonder if this is a field that
> 
> would accept someone comming from a purely technical/enginnering
> management background.
> 
> Bill Crews
> Fredericksburg, VA
> 
>

---

From: Jason Thomas Sylak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:10:56 -0400

can anyone recommend some good landscape design books
(college/professional level) that are either used in college courses
pertaining to this field of study, or available to the professionals
within this industry through any specific entity?

Thanks, 
Jason Sylak
Pittsburgh, PA