Subject: Free Trees?

From: [email-masked] (James Leatherwood)
Date: 9 Sep 1996 16:00:12 GMT

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get free trees? A neighbor
tells me there are places (conservation orgs, extension programs, etc)
which might give me trees to plant on my lot, if I guarantee that the
area will become a "protected habitat" type setting.

--
James Leatherwood [email-masked]
09/09/96 11:43
---------
Using: OUI PRO 1.5.0.2 from http://www.dvorak.com

---

From: [email-masked] (Toney Lowery)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 15:05:55 -0500

James

I'm assuming you're in the U.S.

You can start by contacting you local county extention agent. Look in the
Yellow pages under the US Dept of Agriculture or get the number from your
local library. 

You can also check with your state's environmental department. (i.e. in
Missouri it's Department of Natural Resources, in Louisiana it Dept of
Environmental Quality).

Other sources you could try are your local and county governments. They
may know of local industries that are giving out trees. (Sometimes outfits
like large chemical or power companies give out trees as part of a way to
get some good press).

And don't overlook local environmental groups or the local chapters of
organizations like the Sierra Club. These may have the info you're looking
for.

As to what you have to do get the trees....

Depends on the agency that's giving them out. Friends of mine in rural
Missouri got them as part of a program provide wind breaks for farming
areas. Their choice of species was limited to what the agency decided to
use for wind breaks. But other than the promise of planting them in a row
there were no other restrictions (as I recall...It's been awhile)

-- 
Toney Lowery
Soon to be graduating (MS Landscape Architecture)...
and Sooner to be a Dad! (begging for congrats)
SCRATCH THAT....Say 'Hi' to Michael Anthony Lowery...July 25, 1996
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.intersurf.com/~tlowery

"Easily Distracted by Shiny Objec... Hey! What's That!?!?"