Subject: Decorative Concrete PressRelease

From: [email-masked] (robbin block)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 16:26:54 GMT

Am putting together a release for Spring publication. Please offer any 
Suggestions or comments.This is geared for homeowners in local newspapers.

For Immediate Release

Press Contact:  Robert Johnson
Owner
Hardscapes
 1-800-903-6470
01/24/95
 
New Advances in Concrete
Add Value While Saving Money

Massachusetts -- In the past when someone mentioned concrete, people rarely got excited..  
Concrete was usually seen as dull in appearance, somewhat expensive, and an unwise choice for a 
paving material given the harsh abuse of New England winters.  When it came to flatwork around 
the home, homeowners usually ended up settling for asphalt walkways or driveways, and hoped 
they could afford traditional masonry for their patio or pool deck. Thanks to new advances, 
concrete is redefining it's role in the residential marketplace. Today, concrete can be made more 
durable and cast in a wide variety of finishes and colors offering endless design possibilities and 
substantial savings. With new tools and practices it can even acquire the look and feel of brick, 
slate, tile, or cobblestone for a fraction of the cost of the real material. Builders and homeowners 
alike are now realizing that concrete can add tremendous value, flexibility, and curb appeal to 
their projects while allowing them to stay within budget.

 "A homeowner can now have that brick walkway, slate pool-deck, or a cobblestone driveway 
and still have enough money left over to enjoy it." says Rob Johnson, owner of Hardscapes, a 
company that specializes in decorative concrete installations in the New England area. Having just 
returned from this year's World of Concrete in New Orleans, the industry's annual conference, he 
seems eager to pass on the news. "The word is getting out. This material is being looked at in so 
many new ways.  Not only are we getting more calls from general contractors, but now we're 
getting just as many calls from architects and designers asking us to consult on new design 
possibilities.  It's an exciting time to be in this business."

Builders and developers of large commercial projects have long taken advantage of the beauty and 
flexibility of decorative concrete. To these budget-conscious professionals, it is seen as a perfect 
alternative to traditional masonry due to the savings in material costs, installation time, and overall 
maintenance. "Anyone who has been to Disney World, Six Flags Amusement Parks, or Las Vegas 
has probably walked all over those old cobblestone streets and slate sidewalks for hours on end, 
never realizing it was actually concrete," says Johnson. Unfortunately, New Englanders have been 
slow to pick up on these advances.  They've been hesitant to use concrete creatively given the 
abuse it can recieve during a harsh winter.  Johnson says this is unjustified.  " Decorative concrete 
can be stronger and more chemical resistant than ordinary concrete with a higher cement content, 
advanced reinforcement materials, surface hardeners and protective sealers.. Using these materials 
and proven cold weather placement techniques, there is no reason why a professionally installed 
concrete job here should not last as long as it would in any other climate."

In the past, texture and patterned concrete was usually limited to a mason scoring a flagstone-like 
design, or embedding sticks, leaves and even coffee cans into the surface to achieve a desired 
effect.  Today, the leading edge of concrete is a process called pattern-stamping. This involves 
stamping or impressing three dimensional patterns into colored concrete with molds made from 
actual actual stonework. When the stamping is complete, the product is then sealed, highlighting 
the colors and providing greater stain and weather resistance. The result is a surface that 
combines the beauty of masonry with the durability of concrete. There are over 25 different colors 
to choose from, ranging from natural earthtones to bright pastels. Pattern choices include slate, 
brick, granite, cobblestone, tile, flagstone, and more. Although stamped concrete is a little more 
expensive than ordinary concrete work, savings of more than 50 % over masonry costs are 
common. Stamping is also placed in a fraction of the time and there are no individual units that 
will shift or allow grass to grow in the joints.
Hiring a Skilled Contractor

Getting concrete to look and feel like something else is not a simple process.  It is more labor 
intensive than ordinary concrete placement and requires a different set of skills.  "An experienced 
concrete finisher does not necessarily make for a skilled decorative concrete contractor," says 
Johnson. Colored and patterned concrete is a trade which requires specific training. To take 
advantage of the benefits that concrete offers requires not only the proper tools and materials, but 
extensive experience and knowledge to achieve beautiful results. Homeowners would be wise to 
hire contractors who have proven themselves in this area.
# # #

-- 
##########################################################################
Robbin Block				[email-masked]
Pinpoint Marketing			[email-masked]
Strategic Marketing Communications	vox: 617/245-2073