Subject: Re: social activism in Landscape Arch

From: [email-masked] (EJGOLD)
Date: 3 May 1995 20:07:23 -0400

Sarah Armstrong <[email-masked]> wrote:
><[email-masked]>
>Who knows of papers, books, or projects that combine the needs of 
>marginalized groups with development of the landscape? I am interested in

>landscpe architecture work that goes beyond ecology to include 
>reconnecting people with the landscape for more than recreation, 
>aestethics, or education.  Such projects might include acknowledgement of

>the needs of the homeless, midigating danger to women after dark, 
>providing food-producing gardens for those impoverished, or providing 
>sites for the elderly to coexist beside the teenage population in a 
>community.
>How can the role of the landscape architect be used to meet the needs of 
>those our competitive society marginalizes? 
>Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.

A great example is the 'pea-patch' program here in Seattle, which is a
combined effort of the Department of Social and Human Services and the
Parks Department. This project transforms under-utilized parcels of land
and allows gardens plots to be cultivated by individuals or families for
food crops, flowers, etc. There are some really wild looking landscapes
that arise from the development of these sites. E-mail me and I'll tell
you where to look, and who to contact.

EJ

---

From: David Mandel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 11:36:25 -0700

On 4 May 1995, Michael81 wrote:

> Sarah,
> 
> I noticed your posting  the net, and it got me wonderin'...just how does a
> landscape architect find the time to think of such interesting questions? 
> 
> I don't know the answer o your thoughts on marginalized people and
> landscape development, but I'll start to consider it, and be glad to
> whatever I find out.
> 
> Michael Spencer ASLA
> 
> 
Michael-
	While I completely understand where your question is coming from, 
I must ask, "How can a landscape architect NOT find time to address 
questions of social activism?" If we are, in fact, stewards of the land, 
or even just glorified gardeners, we assume a proactive role that links 
people with the land; due to social contract, any such role brings 
ethical responsibilities, no?

	Admittedly, it's much easier to get mental when you're in an 
academic climate than when you're trying to eke out a living in the 
nonacademic world. Nonetheless, if ever there was a profession the 
breadth of whose practice demanded social activism as part and parcel of 
the practice, we are it.

				Dave Mandel ([email-masked])

P.S. Softball, anyone (in Seattle area)?