Subject: Re: Which Computer to buy?

From: [email-masked] (Michael81)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 14:49:45 -0500

Brian,

Recently you wrote:

:     The question I want to ask is, Should I buy an IBM on
: the reason that most 
: offices prefer IBM computers, and just learn how to use
: IBM, or should I go 
: with what is most comfortable, and "user
: friendly"....Macintosh?.....

I have been using macs in my office for many years. We are involved in
planning, planting, hardscape, you name it. It's a general practice.

Most firms don't use computers for drawing at all. Of the ones that do,
it's about a 50/50 mix. I would say that PowerDraw is the most popular
software.

It is essential to be able to read and write acad drawings, and there are
several reliable translotors to make this happen. Our engineering friends
all use acad or possibly mstation.

My advice? First, what are you going to do with your computer? Are you
going to work as a consultant, are you preparing for eventual employment,
or what?

Sice you cannot predict the future, get the mac. Computer skills are
easily tranferrable. You will pick up acad in a few weeks if (ugh) that is
what is use at the office where you eventually land.

Incidentally, are you from Pittsburgh or do you ever get there? I have a
reason for asking, so email me.

Michael Spencer ASLA

---

From: [email-masked] (BobBx)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 22:20:25 -0500

Go with what you're comfortable with.  If the day comes when you have to
learn the IBM, then cross the bridge at that time.

Regards

Bob Baker