Subject: Re: Landscape Contractors Read

From: [email-masked] (Shawn Wakefield)
Date: 8 Feb 1995 06:58:55 GMT

John, 

I spent an hour and 3 pages to voice my opinion being against the 
possibilities of such an action.  Prodigy seems to cut the phone lines 
after too much time.  

To be short this time, Landscapers are as or more qualified.  We go to 
school, read, study.  There is no purpose for a license in architecture, 
except to limit the amount of people in the field.  Look at the home 
owners version of design if that is truly a problem.  There are many 
roads to perfection, and many of us have found it.

Sincerely,

Shawn D. Wakefield
Wakefield Landscape
Auburn, Ca  95604

---

From: [email-masked] (Gramppa)
Date: 10 Feb 1995 15:55:04 -0500

I read your posting regarding national licensing and am especially
interested in the three page letter you tried--but failed--to post. Did
you save it? If so, could you send me a copy to read (you could send it in
parts if the text is too long to be sent in one shot)?

I am a landscape architect in Oakland, and I teach garden design at a
community college. Virtually none of my students go on to landscape
architecture. As such, we have many discussions about which (if any)
license to get (contractors or architects), as well as the loopholes in
the California license law which permit design with plants, or designs
which do not affect the "public health, safety and wellfare" (what ever
that means). In any case, I'd be interested in what you have to say. And I
may have some information for you about where the landscape architects are
coming from.

Also, do you know anything about the Association of Profesional Landscape
Designers (am I getting the name right?). Have you taken their
certification test? If so, what was it like?

Chris Grampp, Oakland, California. 
E-Mail to  "[email-masked]"