Subject: Union Square

From: [email-masked] (Bracken C. Craft)
Date: 24 Sep 1996 02:36:19 GMT

Subject: Pedestrianizing Union Square West
Newsgroups: alt.planning.transportation
Summary: 
Keywords: 
Subject: Pedestrianizing Union Square West
Newsgroups: alt.planning.transportation
Summary: 
Keywords: 

Greetings --

Transportation Alternatives (non-auto transp. advocacy group) and the
Union Square Community Coalition are working together
to promote "Phase II" --- a ten year old NYC Parks Dept plan to
pedestrianize the Union Square Park area in Manhattan.

The most dramatic change in Phase II is to close Union Square West, and
re-route that auto traffic around the east side of Union Square.  

We're encountering some stiff opposition from area businesses whose
concerns are that restricting Union Sq. West traffic will 

1) make their Union Sq west locations less accessible, and therefore less
profitable.

2) cause traffic to back up Broadway towards 23rd street, making that
strip more congested and less attractive for pedestrians and shoppers.

NYCDoT says signals and road capacities on Broadway CAN handle this change
(not really much through traffic on Un Sq West) but the businesses are not
pacified.

Any tips on how to address/alleviate the concerns of the almighty business
community muuch appreciated.

If you live in the area or are otherwise interested in helping out don't
hesitate to call/ type.

Carter Craft
home 212.255.5815
[email-masked]

Subject: Pedestrianizing Union Square West
Newsgroups: alt.planning.transportation
Summary: 
Keywords: 
X-Newsreader: TIN [UNIX 1.3 950824BETA PL0]