Subject: Re: Software

From: Rusty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 11:15:39 -0400

Well I'm back on line and away from aol. There are many options I've 
found with Planix and other programs. I'm in the process of writing a 
small FAQ type of paper re: this DI thing, I love it and have many 
things to share and more still to learn. Email me [email-masked] 
and I'll be happy to share but I want to ask you some questions too re 
how you use it. Everyone else is invited to do the same. Last months 
Landscape Architecture had an interesting article on videotape imaging 
and statuary placement. This technology will be the way to go in the 
future for perspective and rendering but I cannot see it replacing plan 
views or blueprints. I see it as more of a sales closing and 
finalization item than a design guide. Also it will be a preliminary, 
"what if" tool. Start looking at digital cameras also.

---

From: Storm&Garion <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 16:55:04 -0700

> "what if" tool. Start looking at digital cameras also.

Hi, 
  What software are you speaking about ??  I've been trying to find a 
good program, but alas, I've found none.

---

From: Rusty Carr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 09:38:39 -0400

Hello Storm,
  We've been bandying about this digital imaging thing for a while and 
have been discussing several software packages that essentially take the 
place in small scale jobs of a rendering by digital alteration of a 
photograph. There are 2 classes (my own way of dealing with them) of 
software; Those that cost >$500 and of course, <$500. I have been 
addressing the latter. By and far the easiest to use is "Look into the 
Garden" by LOOK Systems, Inc. Ithaca, NY. The database is small but of 
high quality and is not editable. (too tough to chew):-) It's suited to 
a garden designer. (I can hear the L/As wince from here) Cost$49.99 I 
own the program and have used it quite extensively and with liberal 
substitution for its DB failings. It's amazing what you can do with a 
Malus x. Next is Planix Photo Landscape, available at Egghead and 
CompUSA. The learning curve on mastering the program is higher. The 
database is much larger and in some cases quite nice. The DB is editable 
and even the current plants are editable. It has many nice features but 
is clunkier and slower to produce an acceptable image. The capability to 
rotate and skew objects is excellent and is the first small scale 
programs to allow you to sucessfully insert hardscape skewed to maintain 
perspective. Most of the DB is useable but there are many holes and some 
downright alien looking plants in there. Third, there is Visualphile out 
of St.Louis,MO for $100, $500 for the deluxe version. I only have the 
$100 version, maybe the deluxe version has trunks for the trees and the 
cellophane removed from the shrubs. It took 3 replacements to get a 
working CDROM. They write their own because according to the rep I 
talked with, the min. order is 50,000 copies. Service was excellent but 
the program is the worst of the three and has ads for the various 
hardscape suppliers in it. Interesting concept! The deluxe has an 
editable DB. The have a WEB page http://www.visapps.com and have a demo 
you can order. I consider my $100 wasted.
Allo of these applications were run on a 486dx2-66/16megs RAM and a 
4xCDROM, LITG is on 3.5disks, the others on CD.
There are 2 others for $900/ea out there that I know of right now DIG's 
and Eagle Point's Picture Perfect @$900 also. Both split their DBs into 
zones and sell it to you by zone range, 9-10, 6-8, 5-7 and 1-5. I live 
in Va Beach, VA so I need zones 4-9 for good coverage, which means I 
have to buy all of them. REMEMBER THESE ARE MY EXPERIENCES AND MY 
OPINIONS AND I AM  NOT NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A MEMBER OF THE C....(WHOOPS 
WRONG OATH!) ...EMPLOYED BY ANY OF THESE COMPANIES. INMHO buy LITG and 
Planix and use them both. Total cost $100.00. There is more to this than 
just the programs, such as scanning, photo manipulation, and printing 
along with some basic photography suggestions. Email me, I'll be happy 
to share my trials and errors with you. Sorry for the length of this 
message.