Subject: Re: Tree Elimination Woes

From: [email-masked] (Region Six Planning Commission)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 17:38:53 GMT

Andrea Desin <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi! I hope this is the right forum for this question - I didn't find a 
>user's group for arboriculture or horticulture.

>We had a large ash tree taken out because it was encroaching on our 
>foundation. The fellow who ground the stump down was unable to get it 
>completely because of the proximity of the stump to the foundation. Now 
>we're starting to get little trees sprouting around the remaining 
>trunk. What's the best way to stop this? I'm guessing there are chemical 
>agents - are there any that are "relatively safe" - we have small native 
>critters, cats and a baby? Also in the same yard,there are thousands of 
>little plants sprouting all over. Could they be little "ashlets?"

>We have a similar problem with some poplars in another part of our yard. 
>The stumps abut a paved parking area. After they were cut they starting 
>sprouting again like nothing I've ever seen before. And little ones are 
>popping up several yards away throughout our lawn. We're eventually going 
>to have the whole area gutted with a backhoe when we repave, but in the 
>meantime, what's the best way to deal with these tree remnants and save 
>our lawn? They have a survival ethic that I could almost admire if they 
>weren't so danged pesky. Many thanks

>Andrea Desin

Andrea,

Try TORDON RTU

the RTU stands for "Ready to use" and believe me, it is!  As far as
the critters, keep em tied up or craddled.  

If this does'nt work you should try Pramitol (?sp) When I worked on a
golf course we used this to kill everything (that needed killing) We
mixed it with fuel oil and swabbed it on.  Real enviromentally
friendly stuff.  Seriously, be careful with anything you do try.

Good luck.
Mark T.