Subject: Landscape architecture career

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jan 1996 03:12:50 GMT

I am a junior in high school and am considering a career in landscape 
architecture.  Does anyone have any opinions on the future of this career?

---

From: [email-masked] (RgsDesigns)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 15:36:08 -0500

I have been a practicing landscape architect for over twenty years and in
that time I have formed some attitudes.  I think that the profession is
great and the services are definitely in demand.  However, I also think
the the professional label of "landscape architect" is an albatros.  You
can provide the same exact services under a more marketable professional
label like civil engineer, architect, planner, environmental consultant,
etc.  Trying to sell "landscape architectural" services to the general
public will find you explaining what a landscape architect does.  The
public focuses on the term "landscape" and immediatly thinks you do
landscaping (planting trees and shrubs).  As a paid employee of ASLA
(American Society of Landscape Architects) told me over a drink one time,
"we are in the only professionl that even our own mothers don't really
know what we do for a living"   :)  PS    I tried that question on my own
mother and the guy from ASLA was right !!!