Subject: Urban Design in Mexico City - Summer 1995

From: Stephen Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:38:51 -0600

URBAN DESIGN IN MEXICO CITY
June 6-August 4, 1995

The School of Architecture of Tulane University in
collaboration with the Departamento de Architectura y
Urbanismo of the Universidad Iberoamericana offer a program
examining the role of architecture in Mexico City's evolving
urban structure.  Students and faculty from both
institutions will examine the  present fabric of Mexico City
as the consequence of its cultural, social and economic
development.  An upper level urban design platform will
explore possibilities of responding to and influencing
change.

This program will coincide with Tulane University's Summer
in Mexico and will share language instruction and some field
trips.  Both programs will take part in the two-day
orientation at Oaxtepec and a field trip to Teotihuacan.
Additional travel within Mexico will be organized to support
coursework in architecture and urban design.

Course Credits, Language and Academic Requirements

While some knowledge of Spanish is desirable, bi-lingual
students from the Universidad Iberoamericana will
participate in research teams and will act as interpreters
in the field.  Lectures and discussions will take place in
English.  A 2.5 GPA is required for admission to the
program.  Students not enrolled in the School of
Architecture are required to provide two letters of
recommendation.

Urban Form and Cultural Evolution:  
>From  Tenochtitlan to Mexico
LNSP 453                                           3 credits

The course will trace the economic, political, and social
evolution of Tenochtitlan-Mexico City in terms of its physical
development.  Through the assistance of the Departamento de
Arquitectura of the Universidad Iberoamericana, a series of
guest speakers will examine Mexico City from a variety of
perspectives.  Students will draw upon field-work experience
as well as assigned readings to integrate the lectures with
their own experience.  At key points, several speakers will
return to form a discussion panel.  Readings, paper.

Elements of Spanish 1, 2 or 3
SPAN 101, 102, 203                                3 credits

An introduction to Spanish with an emphasis on listening and
speaking skills as well as grammar.  Spanish 102 is a
continuation of skills begun in 101, reinforced by the
introduction of reading and writing.  Spanish 203 provides a
review of fundamental skills.  It also includes the writing
and reading of expository texts and literary selections.
Students will be placed in one of these courses depending
upon their proficiency.  More advanced courses in Mexican
literature and spoken Spanish are available for advanced
students.

Platform: Design and Urban Transformation
DSGN 600                                          6 credits

Architects tend to look at their products as part of a
collection of stable and finished objects.  Mexico City
challenges any assumptions of fixity and stability.
Mexico's increasing economic, political and cultural
vitality and the pressure of unprecedented population growth
provide a volatile environment for architects and planners.

The platform will initially examine the physical
consequences of accelerating growth on a characteristic
slice of Mexico City.  A village only recently absorbed into
Mexico City's expansion will be studied in detail.  Design
projects will identify critical sites and propose private
and public initiatives.  New works will be understood as a
means of encouraging growth sensitive to the historic fabric
while responsive to future needs.

Faculty

Stephen Paul Jacobs, M. Arch. (Pennsylvania), is Professor
of Architecture at Tulane University.  As Peace Corps
Volunteer, he taught at the Universidad de San Simo'n,
Cochabamba, Bolivia.  He was a Fulbright Visiting Lecturer
at the Universidad Nacio'nal, and the Universidad Javeriana
in Bogota', Colombia.  Professor Jacobs has previously
directed programs for the School of Architecture in Belgium
and France.  Professor Jacobs will teach the Design
Platform.

Arquitecto Carlos Tejeda Vargas, B. Arch. (Iberoamericana)
M. Urban Design (Oxford Polytechnic) and Lisa D. Kealty, M.
Arch and M. Urban Planning (Wisconsin-Milwaukee) are both
members of the faculty of the Department of Architecture of
the Universidad Iberoamericana.  They will teach the Urban
Form and Cultural Evolution course and participate in the
platform.

Cost

The cost of the eights-week program is $3,000 which
includes:
          Twelve Tulane University undergraduate credits
          Housing accommodations with a Mexican family
          Orientation at the resort town of Oaxtepec
          Medical insurance
          Field trips 
          The nonrefundable application fee of $50.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Paul Jacobs                 |    School of Architecture
[email-masked]    |    Tulane University
(fax)1-504-862-8798                 |    New Orleans, LA 70118
----------------------------------------------------------------------