Subject: future of landscape architecture?

From: [email-masked] (Kevin M Lyles)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 02:54:39 GMT

I see this newsgroup needs a little shot in the arm, so I'd like to spur a
little discussion about the future of landscape architecture. This is
directed to any and all reading this post. I'd specifically like to get the
opinions of professionals and  students in the field of land arch. What does
the future hold for the profession? I see a trend towards multi-disciplinary
consulting work - could this be our future? What about the huge growth in
landscape contracting? As the national government (National Forest Service,
National Park Service, etc.) is a major employer of landscape architects,
how will we fare under the Republican Congress? Is this even an issue? As a
land arch student at Iowa State University, I'd like to hear some imput
about this profession, which I'll be entering in a few years (if I ever
graduate!)
			Thanks in advance for your response!
-- 
Kevin M Lyles
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (BVDLA)
Date: 13 Feb 1995 21:16:11 -0500

It is good to see that there is some interest in the student population
regarding the future of Landscape Architecture. I graduated with my BSLA 
5 years ago, and am now working for a large(450+ person) engineering
company.  The work we do consists primarily of retail land development. 
There are currently 4 LA's on board, a ration of 112:1.  We are definately
outnumbered. There is definately a need for more LA's in the workforce
today, with the sprawl of superstores and the dwindling open spaces, there
is no time like the present. It is sad to see LA's 20-30 years out of
college wearing the "developers hat", paving anything and everything to
get in that one last parking space, or one more square foot of retail.  I
think every town planning board would also benefit with at least one or
two LA's to see that "open space" isn't just the garden center in a
superstore.  The world could go without a 200,000 sf store every 2 miles,
and could use alot more open spaces for my kids to play in.

---

From: [email-masked] (Carole Boleman)
Date: 15 Feb 1995 01:07:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Kevin M Lyles) says:
>the future hold for the profession? 

 Kevin-
 I'm just jumping into this discussion and hope that all reading it
will understand my ignorance. I've been computer illiterate for the
last year and a half. Hope I can figure out how to send this.

 _In reply to your note:_  I believe the future of Landscape Architecture
is in the hands of every practicing LA. If we each believe that we can 
make a difference, then we can.
 I have a very good client base here in the Indpls. area and we are at the
boards every day designing as well as we can. The phones ring off the hook.
 My business is concentrated around the high-end residential and subdivision
market, which is great.
Carole