Subject: Re: The War Between Architects, Enginners, and Interior Designers

From: [email-masked] (Philip Mellor-Ribet)
Date: 29 Mar 1996 17:33:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked] m>, From
[email-masked], the following was written:
> However, in the recent decline in work for Architects, they seek work
> doing Interior spaces.  They have no knowledge of Interior living.
> Interior Designers do.  We learn the dynamics of color theory,
> furniture placement, materials and textiles, etc.

Whoa !   hold on there just one second didn't you just say:

>> First off, I do firmly believe that all three of these professions
should work together on a project.  No need for anger towards each
other.<<

That aside I think you will find that most architects consider their
training and skills as being wholistic with respect to built
environment. Color theory and materials are part of our training.....as
for furniture look no further than the well known classics of the
furniture world and you will find a large part designed by architects.

We do not however in general have such a specific and detailed training
in certain aspects of the Interior Designers area of work. That is why
we have need of them.

We have no knowledge of interior living? We design shells?
Spout off these ideas and you won't get many commissions coming your way
>from  your fellow professionals.

Wait till you leave college before launching into diatribes about
professional ethics

--
Phil,     PARIS, FRANCE

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/MellorRibet
_____________________________________

P h i l i p   M E L L O R - R I B E T
A   R   C   H   I   T   E   C   T   E
_____________________________________

eMail:     [email-masked]
Fax  :               33 1 48.06.67.41

From The Construction Site Tue Apr  2 15:26:48 EST 1996
Article: 1573 of alt.landscape.architecture
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-server.ncren.net!news.duke.edu!agate!news.ossi.com!news.aimnet.com!news.exodus.net!imci4!newsfeed.internetmci.com!news.sprintlink.net!news.ICSI.Net!news
From: The Construction Site
Newsgroups: alt.landscape.architecture
Subject: Re: retaining walls
Date: 29 Mar 1996 22:49:16 GMT
Organization: Internet Connect Services, Inc.
Lines: 20
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: ppp034-hou-tx.icsi.net
X-Newsreader: SPRY News 3.03 (SPRY, Inc.)

>  : i'm just starting a major overhaul of my yard starting with clearing 
>  : 1 acre trees. i live in a raised ranch with 2 car garage underneath. i 
>  : would like to incorperate retaining walls along the driveway and to 
>  : offset the elevation in the back yard.any help i can get on how to pick 
>  : the right wall, price considerations,and installation tips would be 
>  : greatly appreciated.              thanks
>  
>>>>
Check out http://www.constr.com/tx/et.htm

Lots of photos and info.

Doyle Peeks
The Construction Site (tm)
http://www.constr.com/
[email-masked]

Home Pages without homes are Homeless Pages. ALL construction related Home Pages 
should make The Construction Site their home.  Copyrighted 1995, 1996 by The 
Construction Site (tm)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:49:36 GMT

To All Architects, Engineers, and Interior Designers:

As you may all know, a lot is going on in legislation concerning the
rights of each profession.  I am curious as to other's views on this
matter of what each of us is allowed to do and not do.

First off, I do firmly believe that all three of these professions
should work together on a project.  No need for anger towards each
other.  As of now, I am an Interior Design student.  I've been hearing
so much lately that Architects don't care very much for my profession.
It is our duty to design living spaces for people to exist in
according to what they need and ask for.  Current law tells Interior
Designers that we cannot do certain jobs that an architect is allowed
to do.  The same goes for Engineers.  They are not allowed to enter
any practice that an architect might do as well even though they are
well endowed with the skills to do so.  Failure to comply with these
reguluations is a serious matter and that person is subject to legal
"problems."

However, in the recent decline in work for Architects, they seek work
doing Interior spaces.  They have no knowledge of Interior living.
Interior Designers do.  We learn the dynamics of color theory,
furniture placement, materials and textiles, etc. The sad part is that
it is NOT illegal for them to do this Interior Design work which is a
travesty.  If we cannot invade on their profession, why should they be
allowed to invade on ours?  Yet, if an Interior Designer or Engineer
go out of bounds for one slight second, they are hounded upon by the
powerful architects.  

This all has to change.  We should be allwed to sign our own name to
our technical drawings and not sit in the background.  Architects
should not invade in our profession.  Let US take care of the
interiors.  We know all about them.  

I would really like to hear different opinions on this matter. E-mail
me if possible, but please post opinions as well for others to read.

Sincerely,

Steve Vaccaro ASID

Who knows, maybe someday all that will be needed will be interior
Designers and Engineers...