Subject: Re: Landscape design software

From: [email-masked] (Ed Armstrong)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 11:17:16 +0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
("Michael Hawkins") wrote:

> Ed,
> 
> I, too, would be interested in suggestions for landscaping software with, 
> if at all possible, an e-mail or postal address of a supplier. The 
> platform could be either PC (386/486) or Mac although Mac would be 
> preferable. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> 
> Mike

Mike,

Refering to an earlier post, I recommend Blueprint by Graphsoft(sp?) for
2D CAD on the Mac.  It's relatively inexpensive and provides many features
that more expensive CAD packages offer.  I taught a course at the
University in L.A. CAD and used Blueprint.  I don't have Graphsoft's
address handy, but I've seen ads in MacUser.  

3D CAD is not as easy a choice.  I've used MiniCAD and AutoCAD.  AutoCAD
is very precise and full of capability but is expensive, and AutoDesk no
longer supports the Mac platform.  MiniCAD is a 3D version of BluePrint,
so if you like BluePrint, you'll probably like MiniCAD.  I've used it to
make models of houses, which is quite easy, since it's built into MiniCAD
-- draw a footprint, set a floor height, and MiniCAD automatically
extrudes to that height.  Drop windows and doors onto the wall from a
symbol library, and MiniCAD places them at the right height.  

I've also heard good things about PowerCAD, though I haven't used it. 
Microstation is another CAD program about which I've heard excellent
things.  It will probably take over the Mac CAD market in AutoCAD's
absence.  It does 2D and 3D CAD as well as textured renderings and
animation. It also costs multiple thousands of dollars.

Actually, I don't use CAD to develop 3D landscape models.  I do most of my
development in 2D and use Strata StudioPro to extrude things into 3D, do
landforms, trees, and handle rendering, lighting and animation effects. 
It's also an expensive program, though they have a lesser version (called
Vision3d) that has most of StudioPro's capabilities.  I use this instead
of a CAD program because I haven't found a CAD program that is good at
doing landforms and embodying the "feel" of the place.  Also I see the
power of computers in Landscape Architecture in their ability to create
animations such as walk-throughs and time-sequences (lighting, vegetation
growth, etc).  To do this, I think you need a "fuzzier" program -- one
that allows photo-realistic renderings and good animation control (some
would argue that StudioPro doesn't allow "good animation control", but it
works for me).

BTW -- in shameless self-promotion :-), I'm going to be graduating with an
M.L.A. in December and am looking for ecologically based planning & design
firms for future employment (preferably on the West Coast or Southwest). 
I would appreciate any recommendations (email to [email-masked]). 
Thanks!

Ed.

-- 
Ed Armstrong
Graduate student,
Computer modeling and visualization
Dept. of Landscape Architecture
University of Oregon