Subject: Re: re: LA & Hort--what's the relationship?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 09:20:37 UNDEFINED

I would like to follow this thread.  I have an undergraduate degree in 
Landscape Design and a graduate degree in horticulture.  The relationship 
between the two subject matter areas are interdependent.  I don't think an LA 
can create environmentally sound designs without a sound knowledge of plant 
materials and their adaptability; likewise, I don't think a horticulturist can 
create a design that encompasses basic architectural principles.  IMHO,  the 
beauty of LA is being able to use living materials to create and/or alter the 
space around us.  Anyone who has looked closely has seen landscapes that are a 
disaster from an architectural standpoint or from a horticultural standpoint.  
These were probably created by people who failed to see the interdependence of 
landscape architecture and horticulture.  Here at UC Davis we hope we are 
providing LA students with the necessary background in horticulture to meet 
their needs when they leave. 

  BTW... we (the Department of Environmental Horticulture at UCD) are in the 
approval process for a new UG major entitled Environmental Horticulture and 
Urban Forestry.  This major will be a blend of the biological, physical and 
sociological sciences to address plant:people interaction subject matter 
areas.  If we are lucky, it will be available for Fall, 1995.  Best wishes!

Dave