Subject: re: art and garden design

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Feb 95 21:06:44 PST

art in the landscape:  this is something that i think is greatly 
overlooked by most landscape architects.  we design landscapes
but do not incorporate any art peices(there are exceptions)  do
we think it obstructs our landscapes or detracts from their beauty?
or are we intimidated by art and artist.  i think art is a great way
 of establishing a focal point that allows people to interact with
a landscape.  it also gives people something to talk about, making 
people use the space more.

there is a good article on art in the landscape in Landscape Architecture
magazine, March/April 1988.  the title is Art Between Classes and focuses
on th eUniversity of California at San Diego who has established a 
program for displaying temperary art and fixed art in the landscape around
the campus.

I am workiing on i design problem for a mixed use community in Munchen,
Germany.  there is a lot of wind onthe site and i am proposing wind art
in a public space that will give people of all ages something interesting
to look at, interact with , talk about with friends and others using the 
space, while also being environmentally "friendly, if there is no wind, the
art is not in motion.

i would like your input on this, maybe we can talk direct.

---

From: [email-masked] (alan turner)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 19:05:38

>we think it obstructs our landscapes or detracts from their beauty?

Maybe, but I like to think of landscape design _itself_ as art.  The best 
example I can think of is Roberto Burle Marx;  if you've seen his work in 
other media (his jewelery or paintings, for example), it's obvious that he 
used the medium of landscape design as just another realm of expression.

Each realm of expression has its own limitations; jewelry can't be so large 
that it weighs 500 pounds, paintings can't be made to change with the 
seasons.  Landscapes have limitations, but also opportunities that no other 
medium has, just like every other medium.  But they can be art in their own 
right.  I think it's important and useful to think that way.

---

From: [email-masked] (Woodman)
Date: 21 Feb 1995 16:52:21 -0800

>right.  I think it's important and useful to think that way.

LA is sculpture in four dimensions. Three spatial and one temporal.

-- 
--                  |                  ComputerFOCUS
Michael H. Woodill  |  
(805) 681- 8343     |  Software Training For The Tri Counties Since 1988
[email-masked]    |       Novell Authorized Education Center