Subject: Has anyone used "Grass-pave"?

From: [email-masked] (Paul Gatke)
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 03:26:47 GMT

Has anyone had experience with grass pave? 

To those not familiar with the product here's a brief description: 

Available in rolls or slabs, and made by a few different companies, it
is several inches thick and with structural strength to support heavy
weight yet with open surface areas to be filled with earth and seeded
with grass. (Looks like the plastic sides of milk crates--only thicker
and with larger openings).

One promo photo shows the parking lot of the Orange Bowl which has
been landscaped with "Grasspave2" by Invisible Structures, Inc.
Another product by R K Manufacturing suggests using their "Grassy
Pavers" for firelanes, parking lots, golf cart paths, driveways, etc.

I am thinking of using it on a driveway that gets muddy when wet and
where I want grass for aesthetic purposes-- not gravel or blacktop. 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked](John T. Klausner )
Date: 6 Dec 1996 16:28:09 GMT

>where I want grass for aesthetic purposes-- not gravel or blacktop. 

I don't know about this product, but the military has used metal panels
with holes in them for "instant" landing runways and truck parks. 
Provides a solid surface, but allows grass to grow through.  Can be
removed later with no real damage to the surface of the area used. I
like the idea myself - there's a company here locally that makes
concrete bases with holes and bumps that has the same effect.  They're
expensive and HEAVY!  About 90 lbs per foot by 18 inches or so.  
SueK

---

From: Tom Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Dec 1996 14:32:30 GMT

I have used a couple of similar products.  Both seemed to work well.  
The success of these systems is in part due to the construction of a 
base of compacted limestone or other compactable, stable material which 
to some degree limits turf rootzone. This seems to allow for good growth 
and color if area is not heavily used. If regularly used for vehicles or 
heavy pedestrian traffic is present, shallow rooted turf can exist but 
will likely not appear as in advertising pictures. In most situations 
where one would be considering this material, it is still probably a 
good choice.

Tom Armitage
Supt. for Grounds
Tulane U.
New Orleans, LA

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 12:25:15 -0500

> where I want grass for aesthetic purposes-- not gravel or blacktop.

Paul,
     I Have seen similar products (i.e. various concrete versions of
this type of product) used as fire lanes and access roads.  You need to
provide a very good subgrade and this will limit root depth.  The only
other concern will be oil and other fluid leaks from the cars,  Spots of
dead lawn in this product are going to very obvious and expose the
'grid' of the "Grass-pave".

     Good luck,

     Jonathan J. Bob
     N.J. Certified Landscape Architect

---

From: rheeuwes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:06:56 +0000

Paul writes

[email-masked]

Well I too think that this is a good product but the only way it keeps
looking green is to have an irrigation system. The concrete retains heat
>from  the sun and tends to bake the roots of whatever you plant in
between the stone (usually grass).
Cheers,
Rob.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Gatke)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:28:39 GMT

I just received three interlocking 15.25"x13.18"x1.75" recycled
polyethylene grassy-pavers. They are rated at over 97,000lbs per
square foot.

The thickness of the walls of the cells that contain the dirt/grass
are 1/8" thick and there are 48 hexagonal cells per block.

A few people who have seen this type of material in an environmental
application complained that it didn't hold up well to heavy car
traffic. Also, in most cases they were referring to a concrete version
of this product. Leaking oil, etc. also had an adverse effect on the
health of the grass.

For implementaion on light to moderate use areas this item may be
quite suitable. My particular application is a side access area to a
house where the alternative would be putting down gravel or asphalt.
Either of these choices would substantially detract from the intended
effect of having the house blend smoothly and quietly into the
forest/meadow boundry in which it is set.

The one spec missing from the literature I received was price. I'd be
suprised if this material was overly expensive as it is pretty basic
as far as formed plastic material goes. Someone also suggested putting
down tracks instead of covering the entire driveway area.

[email-masked]

From Mowgli@ swingingthruthejunglew/outa.net Fri Dec 13 11:41:26 EST 1996
Article: 2498 of alt.landscape.architecture
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!news_server.cs.unc.edu!news-server.ncren.net!taco.cc.ncsu.edu!lll-winken.llnl.gov!venus.sun.com!cs.utexas.edu!www.nntp.primenet.com!nntp.primenet.com!ix.netcom.com!news
From: Mowgli@swingingthruthejunglew/outa.net (Mowgli)
Newsgroups: alt.isea,alt.itva,alt.ivan-pope.tosser.tosser.tosser,alt.izh.drink,alt.jake-baker.d,alt.japanese.text,alt.job.gooley,alt.joel-furr.die.die.die,alt.jokes.pentium,alt.journalism,alt.journalism.criticism,alt.journalism.gay-press,alt.journalism.gonzo,alt.journalism.gsn,alt.journalism.music,alt.journalism.newspapers,alt.journalism.print,alt.journalism.students,alt.jpd.stole.my.k0dez,alt.jubjub,alt.jyotish,alt.kalbo,alt.keble,alt.ken-nordine.word-jazz,alt.ketchup,alt.kids-talk,alt.kill.the.whales,alt.kodak.cd.bitch.bitch.bitch,alt.krunk,alt.lacrosse,alt.lamers.martin.hannigan.bjork.bjork.bjork,alt.lamers.martin.hannigan.bung.bung.bung,alt.landscape.architecture,alt.lang.apl,alt.lang.asm
Subject: Re: CHRISTMAS
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:43:49 GMT
Organization: We don't need no stinking badges!!!
Lines: 14
Sender: Yeah, sender my way
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Mowgli@ swingingthruthejunglew/outa.net
NNTP-Posting-Host: frm-ma1-04.ix.netcom.com
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-NETCOM-Date: Tue Dec 10 12:45:39 AM PST 1996
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent .99f/32.299
X-No-Archive: yes
Xref: newz.oit.unc.edu alt.isea:23 alt.ivan-pope.tosser.tosser.tosser:12 alt.izh.drink:13 alt.jake-baker.d:11 alt.japanese.text:5137 alt.job.gooley:509 alt.joel-furr.die.die.die:9 alt.jokes.pentium:1181 alt.journalism:70435 alt.journalism.criticism:11430 alt.journalism.gay-press:3868 alt.journalism.gonzo:6217 alt.journalism.gsn:15 alt.journalism.music:1982 alt.journalism.newspapers:1611 alt.journalism.print:1700 alt.journalism.students:2265 alt.jpd.stole.my.k0dez:43 alt.jubjub:51 alt.jyotish:9390 alt.kalbo:3904 alt.keble:22 alt.ken-nordine.word-jazz:24 alt.ketchup:5066 alt.kids-talk:132624 alt.kill.the.whales:4947 alt.kodak.cd.bitch.bitch.bitch:28 alt.krunk:906 alt.lacrosse:93 alt.lamers.martin.hannigan.bjork.bjork.bjork:17 alt.lamers.martin.hannigan.bung.bung.bung:14 alt.landscape.architecture:2498 alt.lang.apl:43 alt.lang.asm:11662

On Fri, 06 Dec 96 06:30:34 GMT, [email-masked] wrote:

>TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE A HEART OUT THERE.  WE ARE A STRUGGLING FAMILY TRYING TO 
>MAKE ENDS MEET.  WE WOULD LIKE OUR CHILDREN TO HAVE A GOOD CHRISTMAS THIS 
>YEAR.  WE ARE NOT ON STATE-AID OR ANY KIND OF ASSISTANCE. WE WOULD JUST LIKE 
>TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT COULD AFFORD TO SEND US SOME EXTRA 
>MONEY TO HELP US OUT.  IF YOU COULD, IT WOULD BE GREATLY NEEDED AND 
>APPRECIATED.
>
Now that's FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you have any more pentium jokes?

Remember, keep your stick on the ice!