Subject: zapscapes conference

From: Zapscapes conference <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 17:15:48 +0200

check out http://www.tref.nl/3039%5CStuderen/larenste/lila/zapscape.htm 
for more information

Larenstein University of Professional Education and the EMLA Consortium 
(European Master of Landscape Architecture) invite you to the 
International ZAPSCAPES Conference, Computer Aided Analysis, Design and 
Visualization in Landscape Architecture, to be held from the evening of 
Thursday 26th up to and including Saturday night 28th September 1996 
(Saturday is optional).

This conference, which aims at professionals and policy makers in 
Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning Architecture and Visual Arts, is 
co-funded by the Dutch 'Stimuleringsfonds voor Architectuur' (Foundation 
for the Advancement of Architecture) Rotterdam.

ZAPSCAPES: BREAKTHROUGH OF DISCIPLINE BOUNDARIES

For Larenstein University of professional education the purpose of the 
international manifestation ZAPSCAPES, computer aided analysis, design 
and visualization in landscape architecture is to study in depth and 
disclose the requirements to be met by computer techniques in Dutch 
landscape architecture. This is done by confronting landscape design 
with computer techniques from other media.

Traditional design techniques like drawing, calculating, photography and 
making models are perfect for static compositions. Innovative computer 
techniques create opportunities for zooming in, cutting and editing in 
virtual space. The landscape is always in motion. Dynamism is the rule, 
standstill the exception. In design dynamism is the rule as well. 
Computer techniques enable the landscape designer to zoom in on 
transitions in space and accelerations or decelerations in time. The 
result is a better representation of tensions in the landscape, 
transitions in scale and rhythm of the material. This calls for a 
disciplined method of working, in which rationality and intuition are 
complementary. Evaluation of software from the earth sciences, anatomy, 
architecture, computer games, film and landscape architecture must 
indicate the techniques that best fit the landscape. The object of the 
ZAPSCAPES conference is to create a space for computer aided landscape 
design, through documentation, confrontation and discussion.

ZAPSCAPES cuts across the boundaries of disciplines. At the conference 
creative authorities from neighbouring disciplines will demonstrate 
results achieved with the help of computer techniques, clearly 
emphasizing the relationship between analysis, design, (re)presentation 
and production. Pre-eminent landscape designers and other artists will 
be challenged to go out of their depths and adopt these techniques.....
ZAPSCAPES pays attention to the common ground that the use of the 
computer creates between design studies and the visualization and 
production of landscape plans. In addition to the regular post-graduate 
courses, this conference wants to be a stage for the transfer of 
knowledge about and experience with the use of the computer in landscape 
analysis, -design and -visualization.

check out:  
http://www.tref.nl/3039%5CStuderen/larenste/lila/zapscape.htm 
for more information

or mail to: 
[email-masked]
for more information