Subject: Re: 40 acres and a GIS? starting a map

From: [email-masked] (Region Six Planning Commission)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 17:28:53 GMT

[email-masked] (Ed Armstrong) wrote:

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Hank Roberts) wrote:

>> My family's cleaning up 40 rural acres of grass/oak/conifer (after
>> several fires, several logging passes, and a lot of sheep grazing); so
>> far we're using sketch maps and photos and stakes in the ground to keep
>> some track of things ("photo transects" done yearly on the same line).
>> 

ArcView works great for viewing GIS files but if you intend on drawing
thematic layers  you will need to use a program called ArcCad which
runs in AutoCad.  Both ArcCad and ArcView are ESRI products and very
easy to run.  If you need more info on GIS software and capabilities,
check out July issue of APA Planning magazine.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ixilr8too)
Date: 18 Jul 1995 08:21:35 -0400

You can also get a DLG (Digital Line Graph) to DXF converter from the Fish
and wildlife service on the net from the National wetland inventory
server. Also most maps available from the USGS are online in DLG form. Big
cad files tho......