Subject: Re: Seeking landscape software suitable for non-professional

From: Jack McInerney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 22:50:46 -0700

Gordon Pedersen wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I hope this is an appropriate forum for this question:
> 
> Can anyone direct me to a source for software I can use to plan small
> gardens, landscape plantings, garden structures, etc, that would
> commonly be found on residential plots?  I am willing to pay some money
> but as a homeowner/casual user want to avoid the learning curve
> associated with typical CAD software I've seen (Autocad, Turbocad).  I
> need only 2D, not 3D, but it would be nice to find a product with a
> modest library of shrub and structure images that can be plopped into a
> plan.
> 
> It seems that there's a gap in the market between full-featured CAD or
> 3D-modelling packages and simple software that would let one model and
> print simple 2D plans of yards and gardens.  I hope you all have some
> ideas for me.
> 
> Thanks.

You might consider 3d Landscape from Books That Work.  It costs $80 or 
so and has many drag and drop plants, etc to make it easy.  I haven't 
used it myself, so I don't know its weaknesses.  You can download a demo 
>from  their web page (http://www.btw.com).

-Jack

---

From: [email-masked] (Kenneth A. Mazur)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 10:02:35 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, David Wise
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've used 3D landscape and love it.  it has a growth over time feature, 
> so your trees and scrubs don't crowd your house. also, has a shadow 
> caster - great for determining amount of sun to different areas.  i 
> called Books that Work last week, a new version of 3D landscape is 
> available and you can add a gardening package for flowers(about $29).  
> check their site for local software retailers.  Have fun!!!
> 
> Margie 

Well, 3D Landscape looks like its a good package, but I would like to
locate a similar package for a Macintosh.  So far my searches have turned
up nothing (not unexpected).  If anyone has any leads, a reply would be
greatly appreciated.

Ken

---

From: David Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1996 20:28:50 GMT

Margie