Subject: Re: Landscape managers / architects IVAN

From: [email-masked] (Ivan Le Fevre)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 02:43:46 GMT

[email-masked] (Quirkmiter) wrote:

>I can't say that I know what a landscape manager would be in the US,
>except that he/she would have the task of maintaining the grounds of an
>existing facility.  The landscape architect would design the grounds with
>the program, site, architecture, management concerns, etc. in mind. 
>Althogh there continues to be some difficulty discerning the difference,
>from the public's point of view, between the landscape contractor,
>planting design, and landscape architecture, I don't understand confusing
>design with management.
>Tim Hansen, ASLA  houston

In the UK the status of a Landscape Manager is equivalent to that of a
Landscape Architect.  They both specialise in the form and function of
the landscape.  A superficial difference would be that a Landscape
Architect tends to impose a design from the top, while a Landscape
Manager tends to develop the existing landscape.

I think it is fair to say that the form and aesthetic of the landscape
cannot be directly equated to the form a static object - for example-
a building.  A Landscape Architect is not an architect specialising in
the landscape.

If we look at our external living landscape it is clear that it is in
a constant process of change.  You cannot impose a 'design' and expect
it to remain. I would propose, therefore, that a Landscape Architect
is someone who takes a revolutionary approach to the landscape (ie
drastic and original), whereas a Landscape Manager takes a
evolutionary approach (ie gradual and complementary).  The point is:
they are both managers of landscape change.

Tell me if you feel I'm wrong.  I do think that this is an issue that
the landscape profession needs to discuss.

Ivan

________________________________________________

Ivan Le Fevre
Newbury
Berkshire, UK
[email-masked]
________________________________________________