Subject: Specialisation - Urb.-Ind. Environm. Protection

From: [email-masked] (Eric Fischer)
Date: 13 Feb 1995 15:08:01 GMT

I'd like to pass along some information on a program that may
be of interest to some of the readers of this news-grpup:

------------------------------------------------------------

"URBAN-INDUSTRIAL ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION"

SPECIALISATION AT THE TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY BERLIN - GERMANY

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

SCHOLARSHIP - Ministry for Economic Co-operation and 
    Development of the Federal Republic of Germany - BMZ

MANAGEMENT  - Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft e. V.

THEORETIC PART - Technical University Berlin (TU-Berlin)

BEGIN - October 1995  ///  APPLICATION until MARS 1995

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
---- FOR INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT THE GERMAN EMBASSY. ----
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

---- TEMPORAL STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAMME?

The advanced professional training has an overall duration
of 14 moths. You will spend the first weeks at the
Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft e. V. (CDG) reception centre in
Saarbrücken, where you will get to know the other partici-
pants of your international advanced training course and
become familiar with the culture and living conditions of
your host country. As the complete advanced training pro-
gramme will be held in German, you will also participate in
an intensive language course, which is followed by a
specialised technical language course. After six months the
theoretic part of the advanced training will be realised at
the TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY BERLIN (TU-Berlin). In the course
of regular meetings with your project coordinators you will
be able to discuss your new knowledge and exchange
experiences.
------------------------------------------------------------

---- NOT JUST THEORY

An essential part of the programme is practice-oriented.
Along with the theoretical advanced training you will already
have the chance to broaden your newly acquired knowledge in
common professional situations in Germany. The Zentralstelle
für Arbeitsvermittlung (ZAV, a labour agency with seat in
Frankfurt) will organise practical training with urban
planing authorities, supply and disposal companies.
------------------------------------------------------------

---- THE TARGET GROUP: JUNIOR EXECUTIVES

You are not older than 35 and physically fit. In your home
country you are employed on a regular basis and hold the
position of a junior executive. Your employer supports your
advanced professional training plans and supplies you with a
written statement guaranteeing your professional reintegration.
If you have a family, their support in your home country during
your stay in Germany must be ensured. Furthermore, you are
under obligation to return to your home country without delay
upon completing the programme, in order to utilise and pass on
your new abilities at work.
------------------------------------------------------------

---- WHAT SORT OF QUALIFICATION CAN I GAIN?

Certificate of the advanced professional training.
The advanced professional training programme is to provide the
possibility for junior executives with a completed vocational
training to acquire additional specialised skills. As the
programme does not correspond to a formal university study but
rather is custom-made to meet the specific demands of
professionals, a formal degree is not awarded. You will
receive an official certificate issued by the BMZ, confirming
your successful participation, and further certificates for
the individual practical training.
------------------------------------------------------------

---- WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR PROGRAMME PARTICIPATION?

The programme is geared to environmental planners employed
with environmental departments of local governments 
(municipalities) or with regional environmental administrative
bodies worldwide. You are required to have completed 
professional training as technician or planner and should
have several years of professional experience. 
Furthermore, knowledge of environmental and urban planning
law and of industrial environmental protection is necessary.
------------------------------------------------------------

---- WHO WILL FINANCE THE ADVANCED TRAINING?

The current cost of living, cost of the advanced training in
Germany, and travel expenses necessary during the advanced
training as well as health insurance are provided for by the
Federal Government. At present, participants with a completed
vocational training receive a monthly scholarship of DM 1.100,
whereas participants with a degree acquired at an institution
of higher education receive DM 1.450. It depends on the
agreement between your country and the German Government, if
expenses of your journey to Germany are covered or not. For
information please contact the German Embassy in your country.
------------------------------------------------------------

---- HOW WILL I MANAGE TO FIND ACCOMMODATION?

The Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft - CDG - will help you.
The full-time and honorary staff in the CDG branch offices
will be glad to offer assistance in finding accommodation
wherever your training takes place. Since rents in the
Federal Republic of Germany are very high, you are eligible
to receive a rent subsidy, if the average rent and auxiliary
cost for a certain area exceed 25% of your scholarship.
------------------------------------------------------------

-- HOW WILL I PROFIT FROM THE ADVANCED PROFESSIONAL TRAINING?

A broad range of topics is covered by the advanced training
programme. During the theoretical classes you will be
informed about the legal and administrative structure, which
rules urban-industrial environmental protection. You will be
familiarised with modern analytical methods used for recor-
ding and evaluating urban environmental pollution caused by
industry, infrastructure, traffic and settlement growth. 
Furthermore, you will get to know procedures and methods
which will aid you in assessing and evaluating the site 
risks of supply and disposal systems (power generation, 
waste water treatment, waste disposal). You will train the
development of solution strategies and the implementation
of planning instruments which will lead to avoidance of 
environmental pollution. The measures include environmental
impact assessment (EIA), air pollution control measures, 
watershed management plans as well as landscape and urban
planning.
------------------------------------------------------------

---- HOW CAN I UTILISE MY NEW KNOWLEDGE AT HOME?

On returning to your home country, you will have acquired
the necessary know-how to contribute to solving environmental
problems in big cities. You will have an overview concerning
the interaction of various complex factors of environmental
pollution created by industry, trade, traffic, infrastructure
and settlement growth. You will be able to develop multi-
sectoral solution strategies and thus prevent utilisation
conflicts. By applying environmental planning instruments
you will be able to minimise urban-industrial environmental
pollution.
------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
- FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT THE GERMAN EMBASSY. -
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

============================================================
Eric Fischer               [email-masked]
         ____  __o                                          
     ______  _'\<,_               Rede Verde das Ame'ricas  
       ____ (_)/ (_)              Red Verde de las Ame'ricas
      ==============              Green Net of the Americas 
      I love to ride              Gruenes Netz der Amerikas 
============================================================