Subject: What are Landscape Architects????

From: [email-masked](Lormic)
Date: 24 Sep 1996 04:50:50 GMT

Hello fellow designers,

I have been reading the postings on this news group for a few weeks now
and would like to rock the boat and start some conversation.  I am a
landscape designer working with a landscape architect and am looking
forward to getting ASLA certified as a landscape architect.   I am from
a state which has what is called a "Title Law".  Title law means you
can not call yourself a Landscape Architect unless you have passed the
test and met all the requirements in this state which certifies you as
a landscape architect.  Many states have both a title law and a
practice law.  My question and topic of discussion is this:

If our profession "Landscape Architecture" goes to great lengths to
establish ourselves as design professionals with title and status with
both title and practice laws, then why are we so misunderstood by the
public as a whole in what we do?  How can we educate the public to
understand the broad scale of  work landscape architects can do?  I am
sick and tired of being asked what type of fungus or problem a plant
has  or what can I do to help someone out with there back yard.  I do
not want to be known as a tree plucker.  Finally if the title of
landscape architect does not mean anything other than people who plant
trees why do we have the title?