Subject: Re: Sprinkler System Design

From: [email-masked] (EJGOLD)
Date: 1 Apr 1996 21:37:55 -0500

Your first mistake is to take your supply from the domestic lines at your
house.  Typically you have only a 1/2 to 3/4" copper line to cut into... 
This will give you flow problems, especially with 15' of head.  Best to
cut into your lines right after the water meter at your property line.

In some cases, if you are on city sewer, you are charged both water AND
sewer charges based on the flow of city water into house.  See if you can
connect a "deduct meter" at the point of connection so you dont have to
pay sewer charges on water that isnt going into the sewer.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Sheridan)
Date: 1 Apr 1996 14:15:19 -0700

I am getting ready to install a sprinkler system in a fairly large lot and
am wondering what the fallacy is in my thoughts to install a backflow
preventor at the water supply coming from the house then running pvc pipe
to three areas where I will build a manifold in each location, then run my 
supply lines from automatic valves to their destination from there.  It seems 
as though this not only will save me pipe but also keep the manifold more 
manageable as I expect to have 12-14 valves total when I'm done (sprinklers 
and drip system).  Is this a good/bad or otherwise idea?  Two thirds of the 
lot is basically uphill from the back of the house with a rise of approximately
15' over a 150' distance.  Any suggestions or gotcha's?

Thanks,

Ron

[email-masked]