Subject: Re: schools in NYC area

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Cutburth)
Date: 9 Mar 1995 08:37:57 -0500

[email-masked] (R COCCO) writes:

>  Hi I am interested in horticultural , landscape design classes in my
>area., Northeren N.J. The only thing I have come across is the Botanical
>Gardens in the Bronx, NYC. My question is, do you need a L.A. degree( is
>that a masters ? ) and where to go , or is the Landscape Program ok to
>start and take it from there.
>Richie
>RCocco.aol.com
================

Richie,
  For short non-credit courses in Landscape Management and Design, Turfgrass
Management, and Commercial Horticulture call the Cook College (Rutgers U.)
Office of Continuing Professional Education: (908) 932-9271. Length of
these courses range from one day to several months.
  For a degree call the Cook College Environmental Planning and Design
Department at (909) 932-8010 which offers programs in Landscape Architecture,
Landscape Industry, Environmental Planning, Environmental Studies. The 
architecture curriculum is very competitive and is accredited by the American
Society of Landscape Architects. Entrance into the junior year is competitive
based on performance in the sophomore year. If you talk to Dr. Bruce Hamilton,
also ask about becoming a volunteer at the Rutgers Gardens.
  To become a Master Gardener, call the Rutgers Cooperative Extension at
(909) 745-3442 and ask for an application. If accepted you receive 100 hours
of training and agree to donate, at some time, 100 hours of community
service in one of the approved Rutgers community servive programs. That
might be answering gardening questions on the Hotline or helping out
in the research greenhouses, or even helping the homless to grow food -- the
choice is left up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Richard
Weidman is the program associate there.
  The Rutgers Home Gardener's School is a one day festival of seminars
and events held this year on Saturday 3/18/95. $22 covers all you can do
in a day. (908) 932-9271.
  Be sure to join the Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morristown. It's just
off Rt. 287 (I think exit 36A). It's wonderful and they give seminars.
(201) 326-7600. You can visit 7 days a week all year long.
  You concern about age -- I just went to a seminar on pruning at which
two tree climbers demonstrated their art. The one fellow scaled a 60
foot tree using his rope and then proceeded to "levitate" to the tips
of the branches and up and down the tree. The other fellow, Ken Gregory,
demonstrated a brute force climbing technique that most pros don't do anymore
because of the strength required. He made it look easy. Ken is 76 (seventy-
six) years old! He also runs two miles everyday after work "just to stay
in shape" as he told me. So figure you have almost 40 years to get
yourself into that kind of shape!

Let me know how it goes,
Dennis
[email-masked]