Subject: MLA v. BLA-replies requested

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 12:06:28 +0900

I am an LA student in the BLA/MLA program at the University of Oregon.  It
is a 4-year program and I will be receiving my BLA in June at the end of
my third year.  Because I also have a family and because the UO does not
offer a Masters program in my husband's field of study, I am considering
to not proceed on and get my MLA.  Half the people I have spoken to about
this issue say that an MLA is not that great of an advantage, while others
say I would be foolish to quit now.  I am prone to agree with the latter
group, but would certainly enjoy more feedback, especially from some
non-academics working in the field.  My primary areas of study are wetland
and riparian systems, especially within the urban fabric, constructed
wetlands, and soft drainage systems.  I am guessing that there are a few
smaller firms out there specializing in such fields, but that, most
likely, my future employment will be in the public sector.

I would greatly appreciate any responses from people working in LA,
especially within these fields.  How important a component is a master's
degree to my marketability and future growth within a firm or public
department?

Thank you.

-- 
Statements made by me do not reflect 
the opinions of anyone other than myself.