Subject: LARCH-L Digest - 2 Jul 1996 to 4 Jul 1996

From: [email-masked] (Toney Lowery)
Date: 5 Jul 1996 18:47:01 GMT

Date:     Fri, 5 Jul 1996 00:00:57 -0400
Reply-To: Landscape Architecture Electronic Forum <[email-masked]>
Sender: Landscape Architecture Electronic Forum <[email-masked]>
From: Automatic digest processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:  LARCH-L Digest - 2 Jul 1996 to 4 Jul 1996
To: Recipients of LARCH-L digests <[email-masked]>

There is one message totalling 75 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Zapscapes conference

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 4 Jul 1996 10:11:43 +0000
From:    "W.D.A van den BOSSE" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Zapscapes conference

Z A P S C A P E S

computer aided analysis, design and visualisation
in landscape architecture

Conference
Larenstein Institute of Landscape Architecture
Velp, the Netherlands
26-28 September 1996

zooming in on the landscape
The landscape is used and experienced in freedom of time and place. Whether
we laze away the day in the garden, work the fields, jog in the park or speed
along the highway, time and time again different networks are called upon.
Landscape features are perceived at changing speeds. Generated by differences
in scale, inherent in the landscape itself, and the dynamism of land use. The
more the change of landscape is being boosted, the more landscape design will
focus on:

tensions of time and rhythm
overlaps in scale and diffuse transitions
growth, maturity and decay
spatio-visual effect of sound, smell and texture

Traditional design techniques like drawing, calculating, cutting, pasting,
taking pictures and making models, are perfect for static compositions. The
use of innovative techniques in the field of virtual space (re)presentation,
creates opportunities for zooming in, during the planning process, on jumps,
transitions, accelerations and decelerations in the landscape.

ratio and intuition in the planning process
The computer aided highlighting of these aspects calls for a disciplined way
of working. Analysis, design and visualisation of landscapes implies a
combination of rationality and intuition. How can the intuitive and rational
moment be effectuated with the help of computer techniques? What software can
meet the demands of landscape 'zooming, zapping, cutting, morfing and
editing'?

computer techniques in creative disciplines
There is an analogy between landscape dynamism and the technique of 'zooming,
zapping, cutting, morfing and editing' in virtual space.
The ZAPSCAPES conference will concentrate on the assumption that these
landscape aspects can be matched better with recently developed computer
techniques.
ZAPSCAPES cuts across discipline boundaries. At the conference creative
people from neighbouring disciplines like earth sciences, anatomy, computer
games and film will show the results, achieved with the help of computer
techniques, clearly emphasizing the relationship between analysis, design,
(re)presentation and production. Pre-eminent landscape designers and other
artists will be challenged to go out of their depths and adopt these
techniques.....
ZAPSCAPES pays attention to the common ground that the use of the computer
creates between design studies and the visualisation/production of landscape
plans.

Larenstein Institute of Landscape Architecture
Velp, the Netherlands
26-28 September 1996

for more information:
       J. Vreman
       Larenstein Institute of Landscape Architecture/IAHLarenstein
       PObox 9001
       6880 GB  Velp
phone: +31-26-3695658
  fax: +31-26-3695727
email: [email-masked]
WWWeb: www.tref.nl/3039/studeren/larenste/index.htm

------------------------------

End of LARCH-L Digest - 2 Jul 1996 to 4 Jul 1996
************************************************

############################
PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS POST IN ONE OF THE FOLOWING WAYS

#1 Directly to LARCH-L if you subscribe

#2 As a follow-up to this post

#3 As seperate message with 'LARCH' in the subject

If you reply as a follow-up or as a seperate message I'll forward back to
LARCH-L

Please DO NOT reply to me directly about a LARCH-L post.
Thanks
###########################

-- 
Toney Lowery
Soon to be graduating (MS Landscape Architecture)...
and Sooner to be a Dad! (begging for congrats)

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.intersurf.com/~tlowery

"Easily Distracted by Shiny Objec... Hey! What's That!?!?