Subject: How do I build a french drain?

From: [email-masked] (Gary Ninneman)
Date: 21 Mar 1996 03:43:15 GMT

I have a standing water problem that I think is primarily caused by soil 
composition (clay).  Not extremee, but pretty mushy.  I have a run of perf 
pipe I thyink I could route some water over to.  How do I go about doing 
this?  What is a french drain?  Is it feasible to plant grass on top of this 
area/french drain?  That's really my goal.

A quick response to my e-mail address would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

---

From: "S. Robinson & M. Hogue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 21:45:27 -0800

> A quick response to my e-mail address would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

A french drain is a trench with a water transfer device in the bottom. 
Usually filled with gravel or sand to augment the transfer. The "device" 
can be as simple as a clay bottom, or as fancy as a sump pump. The idea 
is to collect the water vertically and move it horizontally.
    Start with a shovel if you're doing the labor yourself. If you're not 
"handy", get a handyman that can use a little backhoe or trencher - its a 
lot easier.

---

From: [email-masked] (Charly)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 21:27:34 GMT

[email-masked] (Gary Ninneman) wrote:

> What is a french drain?  Is it feasible to plant grass on top of this 

I don´t know what you mean by french drain, but normally we make
drains as attached in drain.bmp. 

We run small ditches with  3 meters distance, put the drain pipe in
and fill it with gravel. Thenafter we put  a thin filter on top.
Further 20 cm soil covers the complete area. Ready.

Have fun! It´s lot a work to do.

Thank you!
Karl  ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas S. Blue)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:56 GMT

>A quick response to my e-mail address would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

...and now...

1)	If you are in low permeability clay (clay that is "tight"), a
french drain won't help too much - a ditch would be much better.

2)	The L. Arch who replied about holes facing downward is correct
- this relates to the field of flow that is created (field flow theory
relates to heat transfer and electrical fields as well - others too)

3)	If you are interested in the mechanics behind a "french
drain", drop me some mail.

4)	Your local NRCS (formerly SCS) office should have free
information and assistance for you in this area.

TSBlue