Subject: Re: help!...lead me down the garden path!

From: [email-masked] (EJGOLD)
Date: 1 Apr 1996 21:39:33 -0500

You are likely to experience significant frost heaving no matter what you
do, but most definitely use 2 to 4 inches of sand, if only as a leveling
base for your path.

---

From: [email-masked] (RMMLA)
Date: 2 Apr 1996 08:01:55 -0500

With respects to respondents to this list, I would like to speak with the
moderator about commercial advertising on the list. There is one
particular organization which repeatedly, daily, posts the same
advertisement. These newsgroups are supposed to be non commercial unless
specifically designed for commerce. Is there any way to organise
advertising on the newsgroup, such as adding a sub group, i.e.
"alt.landscape.architecture.ads"?

Maybe I am the only one who finds the advertising annoying, but it would
be a relief to keep from having to erase the same messages every time I
sign on.

Thanks.

---

From: David Mandel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:31:11 -0800

In support of RMMLA, I, too -- like many who have raised this issue before
-- am annoyed by repetitive ads.  I don't mind one-time ads, since some
are helpful and informative.  While controlling the jerks who plaster us
with daily garbage may be technically difficult at this time, I'll just
point out that I NEVER buy from people who annoy me.  I imagine I'm not
the only one who feels this way.  So to you advertisers out there, if you
want to go broke, keep peppering us with your daily junk; junk ads attract
junk buyers with little judgement and an equal amount of purchasing power.
If you want to prosper, keep your ads short, tasteful, informative -- and
infrequent!

---

From: [email-masked] (TRawson)
Date: 3 Apr 1996 21:39:47 -0500

This practice is highly annoying!

---

From: [email-masked] (RCarr5849)
Date: 4 Apr 1996 19:15:07 -0500

I am a professional landscaper and I would never dream of advertising on
this group. Matter of fact, when I finish my backyard, I'm going to take
them out back and shoot them. That is unless the majority feels that that
would be too extreme, in which case, may I suggest drawing and quartering,
or at least rendering. :-)

Ralph Carr
Pro Serv Landscaping

---

From: [email-masked] (EJGOLD)
Date: 3 Apr 1996 03:10:53 -0500

Typically I avoid the "yeah, I agree" response, but in this case, yeah, I
agree.

---

From: [email-masked] (Laura)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 15:23:31 GMT

Novice gardener, long on enthusiasm, short on experience could really
use your help in any (all) of the following areas:

1) want to bulid informal brick path down the center of a 20' x 7.5'
space. Any do's or dont's advice? ie: should I just dig a shallow
trench and lay the bricks or should I first put down sand or some or
material as a buffer to the soil?

2) any type of brick or stone best (or least) suited to laying this
kind of path?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. If it helps re: climate ,
these questions relate to my home here in Toronto. 

email:  [email-masked]