Subject: HOPES Eco-Design Conf. Apr 7-9, 1995

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 18:44:47 -0800

ECO-DESIGN ARTS Conference    April 7-8, 1995
			at the University of Oregon in Eugene
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Conference
--------------------------------------------------------------------

	The Eco-Design Arts Conference, Visions for a Sustainable Future, offers a
dialogue concerning the opportunities for planners, architects, landscape
architects, interior architects, builders, and artists to shape human
surroundings and enhance long term sustenance and quality of life.  This
approach requires balancing the needs of people with the needs of the
ecosystem that supports them.

	Conference topics range from technological innovation to social and
cultural issue, including "green" building materials, sustainable community
design, and art as a means of environmental education.  Practitioners will
present the practice, techniques, and politics of existing projects.  Panel
discussions will explore and challenge the history, meaning and
ramifications of "sustainability".  Lectures, panel discussions, material
displays, demonstrations of building techniques, design charettes and
workshops will provide conference particpants with hands-on experiences.

	We encourage students, educators, professionals, and interested citizens
to participate, present experiences and display work at this conference. 
This is an exciting opportunity to inform and inspire a multi-disciplinary
audience of interested practitioners and future leaders.  

Conference Dates
--------------------------------------------------------------------

	The conference will start on the afternoon of Friday, April 7, 1995 and
continue through the evening of Saturday, April 8.  Events will be held at
Lawrence Hall, located on the University of Oregon campus.  Participants
may choose from a selection of workshops and panel discussions.  HOPES is
also planning some informal activities on Saturday evening and Sunday
morning, including student-led workshops and field trips to local design
sites.  The conference may be extended into Sunday morning depending on
demand.

Potential Panel Topics
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

¥Building on Earth:  The Making of Sustainable Designs
      -Art as Environmental Education
      -Building with Value - Resource Efficient Construction Techniques
      -Healthy Living Environments
      -Historic Preservation
      -Rehabilitating Landscapes
      -Renewable Energy and Appropriate Technology
      -Role of Beauty in Sustainable Art and Design
      -Sustainable/Regenerative Design Projects
      -Urban Design Techniques
      -Urban Ecology

¥Place Making:  Visions of Sustainable Communities
      -Cultural Perspectives on Sustainability
      -Role of Community in a Sustainable World
      -Sustainability in the Developing World

¥Politics, Policy and Practice of Sustainability
      -Economics and Environment
      -Green Politics
      -Professional Perspectives on Sustainability
      -Sustainability and Acedemia
      -Sustainability and Public Policy

HOPES
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

	Holistic Options for Planet Earth Sustainability is a student volunteer
organization at the University of Oregon School of Architecture and Allied
Arts.  We are committed to expanding the role of the design professions in
the realization of positive and sustainable solutions to environmental
issues.  Funding for the ECO-Design Conference is provided by grants,
donations, campus fund raisers, and conference fees.  Please address
questions to:
             University of Oregon School of Arch. and Allied Arts
             HOPES, Lawrence Hall
             5249 University of Oregon
             Eugene, OR  97403-5249

or   phone (503) 346-0719
      email  <[email-masked]>
      WWW home page at URL  -->  http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~hopes