Subject: PANUPS: Resource Pointer #62

From: [email-masked] (PANNA InfoPubs)
Date: 5 Jan 1996 02:02:47 -0000

=====================================
                      P A N U P S
                          ***
                Pesticide Action Network 
                     North America
                    Updates Service
         =====================================

Resource Pointer #62

January 4, 1996

For copies of the following resources, please contact the 
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.
                         ***

*PANNA Job Announcement -- Latin America Coordinator.* Latin 
America Coordinator is responsible for program planning, 
implementation and evaluation relating to Latin American 
campaigns and projects; collaboration with Latin American 
NGOs; securing grants for work in the region and assisting 
NGOs in capacity building. Required qualifications include 
strong analytical, organizing, research, writing and editing 
and political skills. He/she must have supervisory and 
program oversight experience; a record of success in raising 
funds from foundations and/or agencies; appreciation of and 
experience with diverse cultures; and fluency in English and 
Spanish. Contact PANNA for complete job description before 
January 31, 1996.

*Return to Resistance: Breeding Crops to Reduce Pesticide 
Dependence, 1995.* Raoul Robinson. Investigates potential of 
breeding pest and disease resistant crops for pesticide use 
reduction. Provides overview of genetics, host-parasite 
relationships and crop breeding techniques and discusses 
examples of successful breeding programs, including maize in 
tropical Africa, potatoes in Mexico, and coffee and sugarcane 
internationally. Examines ways to promote breeding programs 
and improve breeding techniques, and includes discussion of 
Green Revolution's problems in terms of crop breeding and 
pesticide use. 480 pp. US$29.95 plus US$4 shipping. Contact 
AgAccess for shipping costs outside of U.S. AgAccess, 603 
Fourth Street, Davis, CA 95616; phone (916) 756-7177; fax 
(916) 756-7188; email [email-masked].

*Hormone Copy-Cats, 1995.* (Video). World Wildlife Fund (WWF) 
Canada. 24 minute film presents overview of synthetic-
chemical induced endocrine disruption, featuring WWF Senior 
Scientist Dr. Theo Colburn. Describes pesticides known to 
interfere with natural hormone balance and stresses lack of 
regulatory framework for addressing endocrine disruption 
problems. Discusses studies of hormone related problems in 
North American Great Lakes' wildlife and Lake Opopka, Florida 
alligators. No charge for one month loan; Canada$10 for 
purchase. WWF, 90 Eglinton Avenue, East, Suite 504, Toronto, 
ON, M4P 2Z7, Canada; phone (416) 489-8800; fax (416) 489-
3611. 

*Pesticide Reduction: Economic Instruments, 1995.* World 
Wildlife Fund (WWF) International. Examines pesticide use 
reduction potential of national and international economic 
tools, including taxes, deposit-refund systems, regulatory 
incentives and insurance. Discusses existing pesticide 
reduction programs, stressing that successful policies 
involve clear, measurable targets for reduction over 
specified time periods, and that targets should be set in 
consultation with labor, consumer and environmental advocacy 
groups, as well as with pesticide users, manufacturers and 
distributors. 38 pp. WWF International, Avenue de Mont-Blanc, 
CH-1196 Gland, Switzerland; phone (41-22) 364-9111; fax (41-
22) 364-5358. 

*Ecology and Integrated Farming Systems, 1995.* D.M. Glen, 
M.P. Greaves and H.M. Anderson, eds. Investigates ecological 
principles and practice of agricultural systems that 
integrate crop production with ecologically sound pest 
control and wildlife and biodiversity conservation. Includes 
studies of weed control in organic farming systems, 
ecological theory in biologically-based pest control, 
landscape ecology of insect movement and development of 
nutrient management on organic farms. Focuses on North 
America and Europe, and includes overview of European 
Community environmental and agricultural policies. 329 pp. 
US$95. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1 Wiley Drive, Somerset, NJ 
08875; phone (908) 469-4400; fax (908) 302-2300.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed in 
the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of 
publications, videos or other sources to our office (address 
listed below) or to contact Information Program Associates 
Adam Kirshner or Gina Schilling for further information.  

  ===========================================================
|      Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA)       |
|                                                           |
| Phone:(415) 541-9140           Fax:(415) 541-9253         |
| Email: [email-masked]         http://www.panna.org/panna/|
| PANNA, 116 New Montgomery, #810, San Francisco, CA 94105  |                              
|                                                           |
|*To subscribe to PANUPS send email to [email-masked]|
| with the following text on one line: subscribe panups     |
| To unsubscribe send the following: unsubscribe panups     |
|                                                           |
|*For basic information about PANNA, send an email message  |
| to [email-masked]                                 |
 ===========================================================