Subject: Re: Farmstand & CSA???

From: "M.L,Huff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:31:59 -0700

Linda at Homestead Farms wrote:

> We are currently operating an organic vegetable farm in upstate NY,
> marketing all produce through our farmstand. Our location is good for
> local
> and tourist traffic, so we don't want to discontinue this marketing
> method.
> We are considering adding a CSA to the farm next year, to broaden our
> customer base. Has anyone had experience operating both CSA and
> farmstand?

Linda,
    I just read a book from a couple in Washington.  The title is:
Rebirth of the Small Family Farm - A Handbook for Starting a Successful
Organic Farm Based on the CSA Concept.  It is available from IMF
Associates, Box 2542, Vashon Island, Wa. 98070.
   Or you could just write them.  I got their address from the CSA-North
America on the Web.  It is:  Island Meadow Farm, Bonnie and Bob Gregson,
10310 SW Cemetery Road,
Vashon Island, WA, 98070  Their phone number is 206-463-9065.  As you
can tell, they published the book themselves.  Any way, they suggest
that someone starting out from scratch consider beginning with the local
farmers market and/or a farm stand, and at least continue the farm stand
concurrently with the CSA.  They only sell excess through the farm
stand.  I hope this helps.

Michael Huff
Cana Farm (CSA to be)
Huntsville, TX 77340-0607
409/294-9468

PS

The WWW address for CSA-NA is:  http://www.umass.edu/umext/CSA/

  [Part 2, Text/HTML  34 lines]
  [Unable to print this part]