Subject: Re: Incan Crops

From: [email-masked] (Bob Batson)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 00:31:06 GMT

mmirro ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am looking for any information on crops of the Andes that
: were cultivated by the Incas.  Information on cropping systems
: would also be helpful as well as historical use of the plants.

A good starting point, IMHO, is the book _Lost Crops of the Incas_ (ISBN 
0-309-04264-X) from the National Research Council. This report was 
published in 1989 by the National Academy Press and is probably still in 
print. I know the NAP has an 800 number, but I don't recall it. Check 
http://wwq.att.com for their number.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Batson				L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
[email-masked]			Kansas City
[email-masked]			USDA zone 5
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Dobert)
Date: 9 Feb 1995 06:10:28 -0800

> http://wwq.att.com for their number.
You can find more information about the National Academy Press at the 
Nat'l Research Council gopher at:

Name=National Academy Press
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/nap
Host=xerxes.nas.edu

Ray Dobert
Biotech. Info Center/NAL/USDA
Beltsville, MD  20705

---

From: Jeffrey L Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 21:36:35 -0700

On 6 Feb 1995, mmirro wrote:

> I am looking for any information on crops of the Andes that
> were cultivated by the Incas.  Information on cropping systems
> would also be helpful as well as historical use of the plants.
> Thanks
> Mike Mirro
> [email-masked]

The Inka used a variety of cropping systems ranging from terracing, 
irragation to various forms of raised/drained field agriculture.
Several articles dealing with these issues can be found in a recent
volume edited by Vernon Scarborough and Barry L. Isaac. This volume is
titled Prehispanic Water Management in the New World, and is a supplement
to the Research in Economic Anthropology Series..

Jeff Baker