Subject: Re: how do plants...

From: [email-masked] (R T Tyrrell)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 08:38:40 GMT

Evan Cooch ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In a slight twist on follow-up to my early simplistic query about timing of 
: reproduction in plants, the following:

:  how do plants "tell time"? I.E., what are the physical/biocehmical 
: mechanisms by which a plant determines "what time" it is? 

: There is a ton of literature on this in vertebrates (especially birds). I was 
: owndering what the equivalent story is for plants. Again, I'm simply looking 
: for a few pointers to references, not pointers on how overly simplistic this 
: question is (the simplicity of it I deduce for myself from reading the papers, 
: obviously!). :-)

Try reading "Life Processes of Plants" by AW(?) Galston, 1994, Sci. American
Press.  There's a whole chapter on this.

regards,

Toby Tyrrell
Plymouth Marine Laboratory,
Prospect Place,
Plymouth PL1 3DU.

[email-masked]