Subject: Online Resource Pointer #10

From: [email-masked] (PANNA InfoPubs)
Date: 18 Nov 1994 03:30:32 -0000

>From: PANNA InfoPubs <paninfopubs>

            =====================================
                         P A N U P S
                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network 
                        North America
                       Updates Service
            =====================================
Online Resource Pointer #10

November 17, 1994

For copies of the following resources, please contact the 
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.
***

*Integrated Pest Management: The IRRI Perspective, 1994.*  
International Rice Research Institute (IRRI).  Describes 
IRRI's IPM rice programs, the goals of which are to improve 
the well-being of present and future generations of rice 
farmers and consumers, particularly those with low incomes; 
to generate and disseminate rice-related knowledge and 
technology of short- and long-term environmental, social, and 
economic benefits; and to help enhance national rice research 
systems.  20 pp.  IRRI, P.O. Box 933, Manila 1099, 
Philippines.  

*In Search of Harmony: Some Thoughts on People and 
Pesticides, 1994.*  Nasira Habib (ed.).  Summaries of a 
workshop held in Lahore, Pakistan which address the pesticide 
use situation in Pakistan, alternatives to pesticides 
including integrated pest management, and a proposed plan of 
action to reduce pesticide use in this country.  69 pp.  Khoj 
Research and Publication Centre, Flat 2, 1st Floor, Ghausia 
Building, Main Gulberg Market, Gulberg II, Lahore 54660, 
Pakistan; phone/fax 57-12262.

*Harvest of Devastation: The Industrialization of Agriculture 
and its Human and Environmental Consequences, 1994.*  E.G. 
Vallianatos.  Examines the factors leading to the destruction 
of small farmers and ecological agriculture in the United 
States with a primary focus of the takeover of land by 
agribusiness corporations.  123 pp.  US$11.50 (+ $3.50 
shipping).  The Apex Press, 777 United Nations Plaza, Suite 
3C, New York, NY 10017.  

*Agroecosystem Health, 1994.*  N. Ole Nielsen (ed.).  
Proceedings of an international workshop held in Ottawa, 
Canada on June 19, 1994 to evaluate the concept of 
"agroecosystem health" as it pertains to sustainable 
agriculture and development and the feasibility of poverty 
alleviation in the programs of CGIAR and other research 
agencies.  114 pp.  University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, 
Canada N1G 2W1.

*Approaches to On-farm Research in Asia, 1993.*  C.L.L. 
Gowda, C.E. van Santen, et al. (ed.).  Proceedings of the 
Regional Workshop on On-farm Adaptive Research held in Ho Chi 
Minh City, Vietnam February 18-20, 1993. Addresses the 
techniques of on-farm adaptive research for legumes and 
grains used in the Asian Grain Legumes On-farm Research 
(AGLOR) project.  149 pp.  International Crops Research 
Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics, Patancheru, Andhra 
Pradesh 502 324, India.

*Feeding and Greening the World: The Role of International 
Agricultural Research, 1994.*  Derek Tribe.  Analyzes the 
global problems of overpopulation, widespread hunger and 
environmental degradation.  The author discusses how changes 
in current government policies can aid international 
agricultural research and reserve global natural resources 
for a more sustainable future.  274 pp.  CAB International, 
Wallingford, Oxon OX10 8DE, United Kingdom.

*Quick Poison, Slow Poison: Pesticide Risk in the Lucky 
Country, 1994.*  Provides information on the assessment, 
regulation and use of pesticides in Australia, the industries 
that make and use them, case studies of human exposure and 
community responses to pesticide risk.  272 pp.  Right-to-
Know Publications, 493 Wollombi Rd., St. Albans, NSW 2775, 
Australia; phone/fax (61-45) 682021.

*RAFI's Occasional Paper Series, 1994.*  Rural Advancement 
Foundation International (RAFI).  This series is published 
irregularly to disseminate RAFI research and work-in-
progress.  The following issues are now available:  "The 
Benefits of Biodiversity: 100+ Examples of the Contribution 
by Indigenous & Rural Communities in the South to Development 
in the North", Vol. 1(1), March 1994; "Microbial BioPiracy: 
Initial Analysis of Microbial Genetic Resources Originating 
in the South and Held in the North", Vol. 1(2), June 1994; 
"Declaring the Benefits: The North's Annual Profit from 
International Agricultural Research is in the Range of U.S. 
$4-5 Billion", Vol. 1(3), October 1994.  Available from all 
RAFI offices at a cost per issue of: US$10, Canadian $12, 
Australian $12.  Free to NGOs in the South.  International 
Office, Suite 504, 71 Bank St., Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5N2, 
Canada; phone (613); 567-6880, fax (613) 567-6884; email: 
[email-masked].  RAFI-USA, P.O. Box 655, Pittsboro, NC 
27312; phone (919) 542-1396; fax (919) 542-0069; email: 
[email-masked].  RAFI-AUSTRALIA, 4 Ocean Parada, Cooee 
Bay, Queensland 4703 Australia; email: [email-masked].

*IPM Implementation Workshop for East/Central/Southern 
Africa, 1993.*  Integrated Pest Management Working 
Group/Natural Resources Institute.  Proceedings of a workshop 
held in Harare, Zimbabwe April 18-24, 1993.  This workshop 
was intended to promote dialogue between social and natural 
scientists and policy decision-makers from countries of the 
East, Central and Southern Africa to establish IPM within 
existing production systems; determine current constraints on 
IPM implementation in national programs; and develop 
appropriate plans and initiatives for overcoming constraints 
to national IPM implementation.  159 pp.  Head, Publications 
and Publicity Services, Natural Resources Institute, Central 
Avenue, Chatham Maritime, Kent ME4 4TB, United Kingdom.

*Conserving Indigenous Knowledge: Integrating Two Systems of 
Innovation, 1994.*  Rural Advancement Foundation 
International (RAFI).  This report addresses recent trends in 
intellectual property rights (IPRs), economic implications of 
a globalized legal and trade system for IPRs, economic and 
social contributions of indigenous rural communities in 
nurturing biological products and processes, and related 
policy options available to developing countries and 
indigenous people.  Bureau for Policy and Programme Support, 
United Nations Development Programme, One United Nations 
Plaza, New York, NY 10017.  

*The Greening of Cuba: A National Experiment in Organic 
Agriculture, 1994.*  Peter Rosset and Medea Benjamin.  
Examines the reorganization of agriculture as a result of 
collapsing trade relations with the former socialist block 
and consequent diminished imports of pesticides and 
fertilizers.  Describes Cuba's impressive organic and 
biological technologies used to produce food under these 
political circumstances, including biological pest control, 
alternative pest management, labor mobilization, and 
agricultural research.  110 pp.  US$11.95 (+ $3 shipping).  
Food First Books, 398 60th Street, Oakland, CA 94618; phone 
(800) 888-3314 or (510) 654-4400; fax (510) 654-4551.

*Tap Water Blues: Herbicides in Drinking Water, 1994.*  
Richard Wiles, et. al.  A powerful call to action for the 
Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of 
Agriculture to protect the public's health from herbicide-
contaminated drinking water.  The report findings include 
that 14 million people drink tap water contaminated with 
cancer causing herbicides every year, 12 million of these 
people live in the heart of the Corn Belt and in Louisiana 
and 65,000 infants within this population drink these 
herbicides from birth via infant formula reconstituted with 
herbicide-contaminated tap water.  276 pp.  US$40.00 (+ $4 
shipping).  Environmental Working Group, 1718 Connecticut 
Avenue, NW Suite 600, Washington, DC 20009; phone (202) 667-
6982; fax (202) 232-2592.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed in 
the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of 
publications, videos or other sources to our office (address 
listed below) or to contact Publications and Information 
Coordinator Ellen Hickey or Information Program Associate 
Gina Schilling for further information.  
 ===========================================================
| PANNA                       | for standard information    |
| Phone:(415) 541-9140        | about PANNA send a short    |
| Fax:(415) 541-9253          | email message to            |
| email: [email-masked] | [email-masked]   |
| gopher: gopher.igc.apc.org  |                             |
 ===========================================================