Subject: farm marketing book

From: [email-masked] (Eric Gibson)
Date: 24 Dec 1995 01:40:55 -0000

"This book is far-and-away the outstanding farm produce marketing text. If
you're trying to sell what you grow, this book will quickly pay for
itself."
        -Small Farmer's Journal

"This is the best book to date about the alternative marketing options
available to farmers."
        -David Visher, UC Davis Small Farm Center

"Of all the books we've ever seen on marketing farm products, Sell What You
Sow! beats them all, hands down, for creativity, thoroughness and
readability. Any one of the ideas will pay you back the book's investment
many times over."
        -New England Farm Bulletin

"The Resources Section alone is worth the price of the book!"
        -Craig Kolodge, U.C. Extension agent

        As the most comprehensive book to date on the subject of high-value
marketing of fruits, vegetables, flowers and herbs, Sell What You Sow! The
Grower's Guide To Successful Produce Marketing, by Eric Gibson, offers
farmers and market gardeners practical, how-to guidance in making a living
>from  the land. According to U.C. Davis Small Farm Center specialist David
Visher, "This is the best book to date about the alternative marketing
options available to farmers."
        Enhanced with real-life anecdotes and examples from master
marketers around the country, the 304-page book contains 32 chapters,
several appendices, and a 425-listing Resources section. The Foreword is by
Howard "Bud" Kerr, director of the USDA Office For Small-Scale Agriculture.
Topics covered include marketing plans; selecting crops for maximum return;
selling through farmers' markets, restaurants, roadside markets,
pick-your-own operations, rural recreation farms, subscription farming,
mail-order and retail outlets; selling through specialty wholesale
channels; processed products; customer service; merchandising; pricing
strategies; rules, regulations and insurance; as well as promotion and
advertising.
        To order the book, send $25 postpaid to New World Publishing, 3085
Sheridan St., Ste. #111, Placerville, CA 95667; For a free brochure or for
credit card orders, call (916) 622-2248. e-mail: [email-masked].
(California residents add $1.63 state sales tax.) Bulk order discount
schedules are available.

        ####

Contents

I.       Getting Started
1.      Planning For Profits
2.      Choosing Your Enterprises
3.      Deciding What To Grow
4.      Market Research
5.      Making A Marketing Plan
II. Direct To Consumer Marketing
6.      Is Direct Marketing For You?
7.      Farmers Markets
8.      Roadside Markets
9.      Pick-Your-Own
10.     Rural Attraction
11.     Subscription Farming
12.     Mail Order
III. Marketing To Retail Outlets
13.     Introduction
14.     Selling To Restaurants
15.     Selling To Retail Outlets
IV.      Specialty Food Products
16.     Specialty Food Products
V.       Marketing Skills
17.     Merchandising
18.     Customer Service
VI.      Wholesale Marketing
19.     The Wholesale Picture
20.     Getting Your Product To Market
21.     Making It Pay
22.     Cooperatives
VII.     Business Matters
23.     Business Smarts
24.     Pricing For Profits
25.     Rules & Regulations
26.     Insurance
VIII.    Promotion
27.     The Sales Call
28.     Promotion
29.     Advertising
30.     Group Promotion
IX.      Harvestime
31. Sharing The Bounty
32. Farm Festivals & Farm Humor
X.       Resources

Eric Gibson
New World Publishing
3085 Sheridan St.
Placerville, CA 95667
(916) 622-2248
email: [email-masked]

"Sell What You Sow! The Grower's Guide To Successful Produce Marketing"
$25 postpaid or send for a free brochure. Credit card orders call (916)
622-2248. California res's add $1.63 state sales tax.

"Hot 50 Farm Marketing Tips" $2

"Victory Through Vegetables" (send SASE for free brochure on becoming a
vegetarian)