Subject: Re: Gardening Book For New England Area?

From: [email-masked] (Guy Washburn)
Date: 1 Dec 1994 03:39:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> I'm located in SoCalif.  A friend -- also located here -- is looking for 
> a Xmas gift for her children, who are JUST BEGINNING to garden.  THEY are 
> located outside of Boston, so gardening books for our SoCalif. climate 
> wouldn't work for them!  
> Any recommendations would be appreciated.  NEEDED:  A good, all-round, 
> basic gardening book for the Massachusetts/New England area!  Please post 
> here, OR e-mail to:	[email-masked]
> Jeri Collari

I highly recommend: The Harrowsmith Northern Gardener, by Jennifer Bennett 
(Camden House, 1982, ISBN 0-920656-22-6).  This book went out of print and
was reprinted a few years ago.  It has everything a beginning vegetable 
gardener needs to know.  Good for all cold-weather regions up into Canada.
Includes instructions for each type of vegetable, commonly-found insects
(good and bad), diseases...

A great companion book is The Healthy Garden Handbook: An Illustrated
Guide to Combating Insects, Garden Pests, and Plant Diseases. By the
Editors of Mother Earth News. (Simon & Schuster/Fireside. 1989. ISBN
0-671-65788-7).  This book is terrific for all regions -- photos and
detailed descriptions of pests, helpful insects, and diseases, with
biological (i.e., non-toxic) solutions to the problem.

Hope this helps!

Laura Reiner from the cyberdesk of Guy Washburn