Subject: USDA Publishes 1994 Agriculture Fact Book

From: [email-masked] (Nigel Allen)
Date: 11 Nov 1994 07:19:22 -0500

Here is a press release from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
I downloaded the press release from the PR On-Line BBS in Maryland
at 410-363-0834. I do not work for the U.S. government.
 
 USDA Publishes 1994 Agriculture Fact Book
 To: National Desk
 Contact: Deborah Takiff Smith, 202-720-9173, or Ron Hall,
          202-720-5747, both of the U.S. Department of Agriculture
 
   WASHINGTON, Nov. 10   -- How much of your food
dollar goes to the farmer and how much to advertising?  How many
U.S. farms were there last year? Ten years ago?  What is the no. 1
crop in your  state?
   The answers to these questions -- and thousands of other facts
-- are available in the 1994 Agriculture Fact Book, published
today by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
   Ali Webb, director of USDA's Office of Communications, said
this is a handy reference which gives facts and figures about
American farms and farmers, the U.S. agricultural sector, and
rural America.
   "It offers an organization chart of the newly reorganized
USDA," she said, "with clear descriptions of USDA programs for its
diverse clients in all six mission areas: rural economic and
community development; farm and international trade; food and
consumer services; natural resources and environment; agricultural
marketing and inspection; and research, education and economics."
   Which state grows the most potatoes?  Apples?  Turkeys?  How
much U.S. farmland is foreign owned, and what country owns the
most U.S. land?
   What foods should you eat every day, and how much?  Who
receives Food Stamps, and how do they apply for them? How many
school lunches and meals for the elderly are served each day?
   How do rural Americans compare with the urban and suburban
population by employment, ethnicity, and household income? What is
a market order? How many acres are in our National Forests?
   Readers can find these answers and thousands of others in the
Agriculture Fact Book 1994.
   The fact book uses text, tables, charts, maps, and other
illustrations to present information.  It includes a glossary of
agricultural terms; index; and a directory of where to get more
information from USDA, including a list of personnel who can help
you get further information on all aspects of farming, rural
America, and USDA programs.
   The 216-page book is available for $8 from the Superintendent
of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
20402.  When ordering, be sure to include the book's stock number:
001-000-04616-1.  You may also phone or fax your order (Phone:
202-512-1800; Fax: 202-512-2250).
    ------
   NOTE TO EDITORS:  Single free copies are available to members
of the press.  Contact USDA, Office of Communications, Room 506-A,
Washington, D.C. 20250 (Phone: 202-720-9035).
 
 -30-
--
 Nigel Allen    [email-masked]