Subject: Nobelist de Duve on origin of life @ UNC

From: [email-masked] (Morgan Ryan)
Date: 2 Dec 1994 11:44:00 -0500

Nobel Prize-winner Christian de Duve is giving a talk at UNC on the origin
and evolution of life. This is an evening not to be missed. 

		7:30 p.m., Wednesday 7 December
		Hill Hall, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

The cost of a ticket is $10 at the door (in support of the Botanical
Garden).  Afterwards there will be a reception at the Morehead
Planetarium, a short walk from Hill Hall.  Students with ID card are
welcome to attend the talk free of charge. 

Professor de DuveÕs new book, _Vital Dust:  Life as a Cosmic Imperative_,
came off the presses this week. Copies will be on hand that he can
autograph after his talk.  Here is what a couple of prepublication
reviewers say about it: 

ÒChristian de DuveÕs Vital Dust is as entrancing as its title.  It takes
its readers on a joyous and highly informative gallop through the four
billion years that separate them from dust.  Obligatory reading for the
living.Ó--John Polanyi, Nobel Laureate,
 Chemistry, 1986.

ÒA beautiful exposition of the scientific vignettes that lead to an
understanding of the story of stories--the origin of life.  Told with
authority and wit by one of the greatest scientists of our times.  One
marvels at Professor de DuveÕs ability to inte grate deep issues of
chemistry and biology and make them interesting to both experts and laymen
alike.Ó--Richard A. Lerner, President, Scripps Research Institute. 

Christian de Duve shared the 1974 Nobel Prize for biology or medicine with
Albert Claude and George Palade for their discoveries concerning the
structural and functional organization of the cell. Dr. de Duve is
Professor Emeritus at the Medical Faculty of the University of Louvain,
Belgium, founder and past president of the International Insititute of
Cellular and Molecular pathology in Belgium, and Andrew W. Mellon
Professor Emeritus at the Rockefeller University in New York.