Subject: Book for Young Gardener

From: [email-masked] (Elaine Moore)
Date: 29 Sep 1994 21:37:37 -0500

Elaine Moore
Compuserve 72253,3505

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Here it is fall; we're putting the garden to bed.  What better time to be
recalling the joy of springtime gardening?  Which is why I thought you might
like to know about the picture book, GRANDMA'S GARDEN (published by Lothrop, Lee
& Shepard).  In it, Grandma is shown as healthy and active in her jeans and
jacket as she tends to her garden with her granddaughter, Kim. The theme of the
book is hope and perseverence (Don't we need both when we garden?) while the
love between the two is clearly evident.  Just like carrots and radishes,
Grandma and Kim make good partners in the garden! 

Here's a review from Book List:  "In this companion to GRANDMA'S HOUSE and
GRANDMA'S PROMISE, Kim makes a spring visit to the country to help Grandma with
her garden. together they prepare the soil, select and sow the seeds, and
construct a scarecrow. Later that night a thunderstorm awakens Kim, frightening
her and washing away most of their hard work. Undaunted by the unpredictability
of spring weather, the two later take advantage of a brisk wind by flying a
kite, hose down some plum trees to protect them from a predicted frost, and
finally, replant their garden. Although Kim's visit has come to an end, Grandma
promises she can return in summer when the garden matures. Moore's quiet story,
just right for intergenerational sharing, teems with information about gardening
and plants.  Andreasen's realistic, earth-tone paintings ably portray the wealth
of feelings shared by the pair as well as the lushness of the rural landscape."

GRANDMA'S GARDEN is available at bookstores and the library.  It's such a
beautiful book and like a garden, one that's nice to share with someone special.
Or, if you'd like a signed copy perhaps inscribed for that someone special
(example: For Emily, always remember the fun you had in _________'s garden), I'd
be happy to do that for you and send it through the mail.  You would have to
write me and let me know how to inscribe the book. If you can't think of what to
say, tell me a bit about the person the book is for, and I'll come up with the
inscription. You'd also have to tell me where to send the book (print this
information).  The price would be $18.00 for each book and includes postage and
mailing material.  Now for those seed catalogues. . . .

Write to me at:
Elaine Moore
702 Seneca Road
Great Falls, VA  22066