Subject: Book on weeds?

From: [email-masked] (jack sanders)
Date: 25 Jan 1995 23:52:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (JSTONE9352) 
writes: 

> Does anyone know of a good book on weeds?

Try these:

COMMON WEEDS OF THE UNITED STATES, prepared by the Agriculture Research
    Service of the US Department of Agriculture, New York: Dover, 1971 (this
should be     still in print from Dover Books; includes grasses, but is mostly 
herbs; technical,     but very comprehensive; aimed at farmers; lots of B&W
drawings) 

Martin, Alexander C, WEEDS, New York: Golden Press, 1972 (a little
pocket-sized 
    Golden guide, with decent color illustrations but limited number of
species) 

Spencer, Edwin Rollin, ALL ABOUT WEEDS, New York: Dover, 1974 (another Dover
   reprint; 1957 original publication; very readable and interesting; called a 
Who's 
   Who among Weeds; a lot about 102 of the most common species; good reading)

Crocker, Lawrence J., WILDLY SUCCESSFUL PLANTS: A Handbook of North American
   Weeds, New York: Collier, 1977 (informative, entertaining, concise book by
a 
   Columbia University professor who has a good sense of humor; good on ways
to    eliminate weeds; probably out of print, but libraries may have)

Walters, Charles, Jr. WEEDS: Control without Poisons, Kansas City, Mo.: Acres
USA, 1991    (A comprehensive guide to weeds, aimed at farmers).

--Jack Sanders, Ridgefield, Conn., [email-masked]
   (author of "Hedgemaids and Fairy Candles: The Lives and Lore of North
American    Wildflowers," TAB/McGraw-Hill, 1993 -- which sings the *praises*
of many weeds!)