Subject: Re: Good Genl Public books on Cell Biol

From: [email-masked] ("Dr. Dennis Goode")
Date: 3 Oct 1994 12:18:00 -0700

Alberts et al recently (1994) came out with a new  edition of 
Molecular Biology of the Cell (Garland Publishing) which is the most 
up to date Cell Biology text available. Garland also has a set of 
Kinamages of protein and DNA strucures on disk that you might want to 
use.
Darnell et al.'s Molecular Cell Biology is also excellent, with some 
beautiful color illustrations you might want to use. They are coming 
out with a new edition in Feb 95 (Lodish et al., Scientific American 
Press- Freeman).

Good luck on your project,
Dennis

---

From: [email-masked] (Ben Kruskal)
Date: 4 Oct 1994 19:57:22 GMT

Good college textbooks on cell biology include Alberts', which you
mentioned, and Darnell's, which is called something like "Molecular
Cell Biology."  Both are excellent and comprehensive; I can't recommend
one over the other.

For the general public:  Scientific American (WH Freeman is the
Publisher) put out a beautifully illustrated book on cell biology for
the intelligent layman some years ago.  I can't remember the title,
although the word "cell" does occur in it somehow; however, Christan de
Duve was one of the authors or editors.