Subject: Disabled Gardening book

From: [email-masked] (Sherry Bailey)
Date: 16 Jun 1994 21:12:01 GMT

I know some of you have been interested in the past in gardening info
for handicapped and nursing home type situations.  I get Library Journal
and thought you'd be interested in this review, copied without permission
(sorry, LJ)!

THE ENABLING GARDEN: A GUIDE TO LIFELONG GARDENING

Gene Rothert
Taylor Publishing Co.
1994
152 p., illus, index
ISBN 0-87833-847-0
paperback $13.95

"This is a personal account of horticultural therapy, or gardening with
disabilities, by someone who shares his own firsthand experiences.  Rothert, 
the manager of urban horticulture at the Chicago Botanic Garden, and president
of the American Horticulture Therapy Association, discussed gardening while
one is seated, making raised beds and smooth paths, selecting appropriate
plants and tools, and performing maintenance chores.  This title covers some
of the same ground as *Able to Garden* and John Pierce and Roland Barnsley's
*Easy Lifelong Gardening* but contains more personal tips.  Rothert includes 
lists of his favorite plants, organizations, enabling gardens, and sources
for garden supplies.  Recommended for libraries that need additional material
on the subject.  --  Laura Lipton, Miller Horticulture Library, Seattle."

FWIW

Sherry