Subject: Re: Is there a faq?; book recommendations

From: [email-masked] (DawnSingh)
Date: 13 Jun 1994 14:01:04 -0400

> [email-masked] (Norman Miller) writes
>If there's a faq, please let me know where to find it.  If not,
would 
>some kind readers suggest a basic book for a small urban flower
garden?

There may be a faq, but I'm not aware of one.  Here are some book
recommendations:

Linda Yang, garden writer for the New York Times, has an excellent
book called, "The City Gardener's Handbook" (1990, Random House,
$26.95, 316 p.) that is all about small-space gardening.  

Peter Loewer has a new book out called "The New Small Garden"
(Stackpole Books, 1994, $19.95, 184 p.).  I'm a book reviewer and
will be reviewing the book in an upcoming issue of The American
Garden Newsletter.  However, I know Peter and have every confidence
it is  helpful  in planning a small garden.  In fact, the subtitle
is:  "Plans and Plants That Make Every Inch Count."    Peter spends a
lot of time on research and gets quite excited about new information
he uncovers in the process of writing.

Ken Druse's book, "The Natural Garden," (1989, Crown,  $35, 296)
covers small gardens a bit.  The author started out as a roof-top
gardener in NY and now lives in a Brooklyn townhouse, so his space is
quite limited.  He's a wonderful writer .

The American Garden Newsletter reviews garden books and interviews
authors.  It is free of charge and is not affiliated with any
organization.  To subscribe or correspond, send your e-mail address
to:  [email-masked]

Best wishes,

Dawn Singh
Editor and Publisher