Subject: Re: Gardening Books

From: [email-masked] (L. R. Fortney)
Date: 18 May 1995 11:31:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Saeed Ganji) wrote:

> Hugh Burns ([email-masked]) wrote:
> : I am interested in gardening books.  I live in Atlanta, and am a weekend 
> : gardener who loves all plants, especially flowers.  Can anyone give a 
> : review and/or comparison of Reader's Digest's _A Garden For All Seasons_ 
> : and Better Homes and Gardens' _Complete Guide to Flower Gardening_?  I've 
> : seen these books in the stores and would like to know what any of you 
> : think of them.  Thank you.
> 
    Of the books I've seen and/or own, the that I like best are:

Perennials for American Gardens, Ruth Clausen & Nicolas Ekstrom
Alphabetical descriptions with some pictures; includes appendices on
gardening, sources of material and indexes of synonyms and common names.

The American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
Lots and lots of pictures grouped by color, size, bloom time with an
associated alphabetical index and description by latin name.

   These are not your basic "how to" books but are mainly photographs and
descriptions of perennials and their growing conditions.  The first one
has relatively few pictures, but I think it has the more useful
descriptions of plants and growing conditions.

-- 
Lloyd Fortney, Physics Dept, Duke University ---Opinions are mine---