Subject: Re: What garden writers do you like?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Sep 1994 05:36:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Boyd  Zenner) writes:
>As a gardener, writer, and book collector, I'm always on the
>lookout for new (or old) garden writing that I might enjoy.  I
>esteem the work of the late Henry Mitchell ("Earthman") above all.
>
>I'd like to hear from any of you all who are so inclined about
>works or writers *you* particularly admire.
>
>Boyd
  
  I wish some editor would compile Henry Mitchell's columns about
traveling and visiting gardens in the United Kingdom into an article
or booklet.  We were stationed in the UK at the time he was writing,
and my family faithfully clipped and mailed those columns.  

I found them to be much more insightful and creative than most 
"What to Visit" advice.  Mitchell had a wonderful way of observing
plants and gardeners anyway, and his perceptions about traveling
around Britain were accurate, pleasant, and enjoyable.  He emphasized
seeing things not as a typical tourist but from a gardener's point
of view.

Anne
Zone 6-7