Subject: Re: Gardening book for colder climates

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Goos)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 12:57:37

In article <[email-masked]> ettings <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: ettings <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Gardening book for colder climates
>Date: Sat, 31 DEC 94 12:09:49 -0500

>Taylor's book on perennials (widely available) has a wonderful chart in
>it, so that you can look up plants by zone, light, color, height, etc.
>You might find it helpful as a quick way to filter out the tropical stuff.
>Hope this was of help, and Happy New Year.
> 
>Carol

I'd like to recommend my favorite reference:

           "Ornamental SHRUBS for Canada" by Lawrence C.Sherk and Arthur R. 
Buckley   of the Ornamental Plant Section , Plant Research Institute, Research 
Branch, Canada Department of Agriculture , Ottawa, Ontario,1968.
            I have two copies garnered, from used bkstrs(One from 
Bellingham,Wa.) as a defense against over reaching garden enthusiasts who 
have failed to return earlier copies to my shelves!
           Another useful title might be 'The Annotated Checklist of Woody 
Plants of California, Oregon, and Washington, authored by Dr.E.Mc Clintlock 
and Prof.A.T.Leiser and published by the University of California.,1979.

            BTW, UCDavis has an excellent agricultural page available on the 
Web. 
            Good Luck and Happy New Year to all.

      Dennis