Subject: Re: REQUEST: Habitat Gardening

From: [email-masked] (Earl J.S. Rook)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 13:35:58 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] (Thomas F Collura PhD.) says:

>I am interested in turning my 1-1/2 acre yard, surrounded by woods,
>into a habitat that attracts birds, animals, butterflies, hummingbirds,
>an occasional deer or fox, and so on.  Does anyone have information
>or suggestions?  I have already set in some birdhouses, a bat house,
>and I am planting flowers, fruit-bearing plants, etc.
>

If you live in the northern latitudes, USDA zones 3-5, you may want to look
at "Landscaping For Wildlife" by Carrol Henderson, published by the Minnesota
Department of Natural Resources and available at bookstores nationwide.  It's
relatively cheap and the extensive appendices are invaluable.  They list an
incredibly wide range of plants, both native and popularly available exotics, 
rate them for their value to wildlife (with special lists for butterflies,
bees, and hummingbirds), and rundown the plant's size, hardiness, light,
water, and soil requirements.  I have been working to make my urban garden
an attractive place to wildlife and have found it to be my most used
reference.  Also available from the same author is "Woodworking for Wildlife",
which is mostly concerned with nesting boxes and platforms for birds (wrens to
great grey owls) but also touches upon bat houses.

If you are interested in either book and cannot find it locally, you can call
the Minnesota Bookstore information line at 1-800-657-3757.

Good luck,

Earl
--
Earl Rook                      E-mail to: [email-masked]
Saint Paul, Minnesota

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen Fletcher)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 23:12:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Thomas F Collura PhD.) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Thomas F Collura PhD.)
>Subject: REQUEST: Habitat Gardening
>Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 13:47:33 GMT

>and I am planting flowers, fruit-bearing plants, etc.

Check out _Noah's Garden_, by ? Sarah Stone and _The Natural Habitat 
Garden_, by Ken Druse.  (Names from memory, so they may not be accurate) 
Sneak a peek at the bookstore if you can't find it at your local library.  
The National Wildlife Association has information, too.  I don't have the 
reference handy, check with the reference staff at your library.  Also, 
your state's Natural History Survey will probably have some relevant 
publications on wildlife and plants.

Enjoy.  
Karen Fletcher                                     [email-masked]  
==========================================================================
     Fine Web pages for fun and profit when it's too dark to garden.
==========================================================================