Subject: Re: herb books

From: [email-masked] (Katherine Pyle)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 1994 04:44:10 GMT

My favorite is "Herbs" by Roger Phillips & Nicky Foy (Random House Books, 
NY, USA; originally published in England by Pan Books). Another nice one 
is "Herbs: How to Select, Grow and Enjoy" by Norma Jean Lathrop (HP 
Books, Tucson, AZ, USA). "Herbs: Gardens, Decocrations, and Recipes" by 
Emelie Tolley and Chris Mead (distributed by Crown Publishers, New York, 
USA) doesn't describe individual herbs but has lots of ideas for herb 
garden layouts, and how to use them in the kitchen, as decorations, etc.

Katherine Pyle
Berkeley, CA
-- 
                                             [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Aug 94 10:32:07 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (CkirkG) writes:
> I have purchased a home with a tremendous herb garden.  Being somewhat
> herb illiterate, I am seeking a good illustrated reference book or two. 
> Suggestions?
> 
> I would also love ideas on using herbs as gifts.
> 
> J. G.  

One of my favorites because it's a good quick reference is Martha E. Kraska,
_Herbs_ (New York: Prentice Hall Gardening, 1992); it's one of the Burpee
American Gardening Series, $8.00 on my copy, though that may have changed
in two years.  Not encyclopedic, by any means, but it does give a quick over-
view of a wide range of herbs and their cultivation needs, as well as asstd.
uses for them, a short section on pests and diseases (tho that part hasn't
been as helpful), a few FAQ.

Dina

---

From: [email-masked] (Rita Melnick)
Date: 22 Aug 94 16:41:42 EST

> I would also love ideas on using herbs as gifts.

Many people have already mentioned the Rodale Encyclopedia of Herbs, which
I also heartily recommend.  While not profusely illustrated with photographs,
it does have at least a drawing of each herb.  It covers the history, use,
and cultivation of each herb, well-known and not so well-known.  I have quite
a few herb books, but the Rodale one is the one I use the most.

As for using herbs as gifts, I recommend "A Gift of Herbs -- How to Make
Easy, Inexpensive and Thoughtful Gifts Using Herbs" by Heidi Hartwiger.
Published by Down Home Press, Asheboro, NC.  It's a very practical book,
and worth the $13.95.

One source not to be overlooked:  The Herb Companion bimonthly magazine.  it
covers all aspects of herbs: cultivating, designing, cooking, medicine, etc.
You'll want to keep each issue to build a reference library.  I've referred
back to issues from 2 to 3 years past at one time or another, and each year
they publish an index to the previous year's topics and issue number.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Rita Melnick
[email-masked]