Subject: Re: Moon's effects on plants

From: [email-masked] (Roy J. Martens)
Date: 29 Mar 94 00:11:18 -0500

In article <2093800001@cdp>, CLAUDIA CAHAN <[email-masked]> writes:
> Does anyone have any information on how the extra light provided by the 
> waxing moon effects plant growth?  Citations/references to previous studies
> would be much appreciated.  I need this information A.S.A.P. for a science
> experiment I'm doing in a Statistics class.
> 
> 
I don't believe that light reflected off of the lunar surface has enough
energy to be classified as PAR (Photosyntheticaly active radiation).  In fact
I'm sure it doesn't have enough energy.  The light could have some effect on
phytochrome which is a pigment that absorbs red and far-red light.

For more info on phytochrome and PAR check:

Salisbury, F.B., and C.W. Ross. 1985.  Plant physiology. 3rd. ed.  Wadsworth
	Publishing Co., Inc., Belmont, CA.

There may be a new addition out since 1985.

Roy J. Martens
[email-masked]