Subject: STarting a flock of chickens

From: Mark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:05:57 -0400

>After reading all the banter about chickens, and visiting the Arkansas =
>Conservation District Chicken Composting Website (sorry, I don't have =
>the address, but it's disgusting), I am considering raising a few =
>'chooks' of my own.  Can someone suggest a primer on sustainable small =
>scale (very small) production, for a suburbanite raised beginner?  I =
>have an existing chicken coup, pasture, stream, and foxes.  Thanks.

Mary,

Below is one of the more complete books for backyard chicken raising.  We
have our first six chicks (sorry, can't get myself to say 'chooks'!) about
to go into the coop I finished last weekend.  Electric fencing is necessary
if you have foxes (remember all those great saturday morning cartoons of
the fox in the henhouse?).  Try Premier fencing -- they are the most
affordable I've found.  Also consider getting some old-fashioned backyard
birds (Dominique, Java, etc).  They are good layers, good for meat but also
very thorough foragers.  More slow growing than the typical broiler, but
you are not a contract grower so you can wait!

Just my two egg's worth.

Mark

http://www.storeybooks.com/animal/897-8prim.html

----------------------------------------------------
Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA)
An independent non-profit organization

c/o Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst MA 01002-5001
T: 413-559-5338
F: 413-559-5404

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail