Subject: FS: older gardening/flower books, 41 titles
From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 Dec 1996 22:34:01 GMT
Newsgroups: triangle.gardens

Truman Price - Monmouth, Oregon

FS: Flowers & Gardening - 41 titles 

[How to read the condition codes:  F = fine, which is about the same is
perfect.  NF= near fine; VG= Very Good; defects on these two are usually
noted.  Good = Good, which means solid; may have an owners name, bumped
corners, a few wrinkles, etc. Fair and poor also exist.
   dw = dust wrap or jacket.  Condition of dw is shown after the /slash,
so that F/G = Fine book in Good jacket.
   ep= endpaper; fep=front endpaper; ffep = free front endpaper]

1  Allen, C.L.  Bulbs and Tuberous-Rooted Plants.  NY: Orange Judd,
1893/1893, 1st; 312 pp, many engr figures, index, 10 pp ads.  "History,
description, methods of propagation..."                                   
                                                                          
                      Inscription:   "To Mother / Christmas, 1893"  Good;
brown emb boards with gilt, corners bumped, spine tips scuffed; spine
starting at tp, else contents fine.  $18

2  Allen, R.C., ed.    American Rose Annual, 1948.  Harrisburg, 1948, 1st.
       VG, corners sl bump, in dw with 1/4" chips at spine tips and lt dw
waterstains.  $12

3  anon.  A Garden for Houston.  Houston: Forum of Civics, 1929.       
Near fine; name & bkstore stamp fep, flexible heavy black cloth boards. 
$18

4  Bates, Alfred.  The Gardener's Second Year.  Longman's: 1937, 1st.     
  NF/0; bkplate.  $10

5  Biles, Roy E,.  The Modern Family Garden Book.  NY: Greenberg (jacket)
or Chicago: Ferguson (tp), 1943 ed.; 4to, 160 pp.        NF/VG.  $10

6  Bissland, James H.  The Rock Garden and What to Grow In It.  Hale,
Cushman and Flint, 1939, 1st printing; 8vo, 129 pp., illus.        NF;
bookplate.  $15

7  Blair, Laurence.  The Garden Clinic: Care and Cultivation of Garden
Favorites.  NY: Macmillan, 1943/1940, 4th; 8.8x10, 146 pp, index.  A
pretty and comprehensive book, illustrated by the author.      VG/Vg,
owner's name ffep, small edge tears dw.  $18

8  Boggs, Kate Doggett.  Prints and Plants of Old Gardens.  Richmond:
Garret & Massie, 1932, 1st; folio 10"x12.8",101 pp, 39 plates, biblio. 
Floral-stamped cloth, in jacket.   Three main parts: general observations
and explanations of the nature of English gardens, ("IV. Knots,
Partererres and Garden Houses.") ;  39 full page perspective layouts,
mainly from the 17th century, of early English gardens on the grand scale
; lists of plants and their general uses.   Near Fine, clean, with bottom
edgewear, in dw with two long closed tears and small edge chips.  $75

9  Braunton, Ernest.  The Garden Beautiful in California.  LA
Times-Mirror, 1940, appt 1st; 213 pp, index.  A complete practical manual
for those who garden, with @ 20 b&w plates, ofa few gardens and many
individual plants.      VG/G, dw spine browned.  $20

10  Camp, Boswell & Magness  The World in your Garden.  Natl. Geog., 1957,
1st.        NF/G, 4" closed tear.  $8

11  Chupp, Charles.  Manual of Vegetable Garden Diseases.  Macmillan,
1925, 1st; 647 pp, index.        Blue cloth.  VG: spine edges sl rub,
corners 1/8" rub, name fep.  $20

12  Conway, J. G.  Flowers, Their Arrangement.  Knopf, 1940, 1st; 139 pp,
107 b&w photos      Inscribed and signed by the author.  NF/VG; name fep,
closed tears dw.  $20

13  Crockett, James U.  Foliage Plants for Indoor Gardening.,  Dday, 1967,
1st; 164 pp, 32 color plates, index.        Fine/Gd.  $12

14  Dreyer, Peter.  A Gardener Touched with Genius.  UC Berkeley, 1985
revised ed, 1st; 293 pp.  The Life of Luther Burbank.      NF/NF; owner's
inscription fep, dw corner clipped.  $10

15  Fairbrother, F.  Pearson's Illustrated Guide to Roses.  London:
Pearson, 1967, 1st; 7.5x10", 96 pp, 4 color plates, index.  A complete
guide.  Numerous b&w photos in text, and 32 in color.      Very good+ in
very good jacket.  $15

16  Fletcher, H. L. V.  Popular Flowering Plants.  NY: Drake, 1972, appt.
1st; 158 pp, index, 28 b&w plates.        VG.  $10

17  Genders, Roy.  The Complete Book of the Dahlia.  London: Saturn, 1953,
1st; 122 pp, index.        F in VG dw, back rubbed (some bit of data on cp
has been taped over).  $10

18  Gorer, Richard.  The Development of Garden Flowers  London: Eyre&S,
1979, 1st; 254 pp, 68 b&w plates.        VG/VG; missing 4 of 6 color
plates.  $10

19  Grant, Donald.  White Goats & Black Bees: A farm in Ireland.  Dday,
1974, 1st         VG/G, chipped and stained; name fep.  $10

20  Haselton, Scott (ed).  Succulents for the Amateur.  Pasadena: Abbey
Garden, 1939; 6.5x9.5, 167pp + index.  Introducing over 800 plants and
illustrating 400 (b&w photos).  Green cloth.    Good; corners worn, top
front worn 1/2" each way at corner; contents VG.  $25

21  Johnson, A. T.  Hardy Heaths/ and Some of the Nearer Allies.  London:
Blandord, rev. ed. 1956; small 8vo, 127 pp., indexed.  20 b&w photo plates
by Johnson.      VG+/Fair; no marks, very slight reading wear/  top 1/2"
of dw spine missing, 1" chip back corner, lower 1" front flap corner
clipped.  $8

22  Kiaer, Eigil.  Garden Shrubs and Trees in Color.  NY: Hippcrene, 1973
rev ed, 190 pp.  First published in Sweden, 1955. 132 pp of color
paintings, showing leaves and flowers of 357 plants, plus small
perspective sketch of each. Followed by 50 pp double-column text and
index.  Pretty.  Grey cloth, black spine with silver stamping.    F/F. 
$16dddddddd

23  Klaber, Doretta.   Gentians for your Garden.  NY: M. Barrows, 1964,
1st; 141 pp., indexed.  With 5 color plates and over 50 drawings.     
F/VG+; dw clean and whole but dw spine sl. darkened.  $12

24  Lisle, Clifton.  The Growing Year: Month by Month in a Home Garden. 
FarrarS&Y, 1953, 1st; 265 pp.        F/Good dw with small tears & chips. 
$8

25  Mansfield, TC.  Carnations in Colour and Cultivation.  London:
Collins, 1951, 1st; 243 pp.  With 64 colour plates and 47 illustrations.  
   VG/G.  $20

26  McFarland, Horace, Marion Hatton & Daniel Foley.  Garden Bulbs in
Color.  Macmillan, 1938, 1st.        VG; ex-lib., few marks, board wear,
many col. photo.  $6

27  Nearing, Helen and Scott.  Continuing the Good Life.  NY: Schocken,
1979, 1st.        F/VG  $14

28  Nicolaisen, A.   The Pocket Encyclopedia of Indoor Plants in color. 
NY: Macmillan, 1973 5th printing, c.1969 Denmark; small 8vo, 269 pp.,
indexed.  Illustrated by Bregnhoi & Frello.      Fine/Fine.  $8

29  Ogden, Samuel.  This Country Life.   Rodale, 1973, 1st.  Making the
most of the simple life: homesteading, gardening.      NF/Good.  $10

30  Ortloff, H. Stuart, & Raymore.  Garden Planning & Building.  American
Garden Guild & Dday, 1943 rev. ed., 1943/1939.  Landscape architecture,
with 45 illustrations.      Fine/G, 2" chip dw back.  $12

31  Peters, Ruth Marie.  Your Garden in Town.  HoltRW, 1957, 1st; 180 pp. 
With 8 pp photos, index.      F/VG.  $15

32  Quinn, Vernon.  Shrubs in the Garden/ and their Legends.  Stokes,
1940, 1st; 308 pp.  Brightly illustrated by Marie Lawson.      Orange
cloth.  Good; spine sl yellowed, spine top worn; contents near fine.  $35

33  Rand, Edward S.  Flowers of the Parlor and Garden.  Boston: J E
Tilton, 1869/1863.  Lots of sensible information about propagation and
varieties, with some engraved illustrations & index.  Green cloth, gilt
stamped, beveled edge, gilt top edge. 411 pp.    VG: corners bumped. One
1897 tree receipt laid in.  $30

34  Rockwell, F.F.  Around the Year in the Garden.  Macmillan, new ed.,
1937        VG/0; spine sl. fade, pages NF.  $7

35  Sackville-West, V.  Country Notes.  Harper, 1940, 1st; 7.2x10, 219 pp.
 Notes and observations of country life, with photos.      F/G; clean dw
missing top 1/2" of spine.  $40

36  Scheepers, John, inc.  1927 Bulbs for Fall Planting.  NY: Scheepers,
1927; 175 pp + color plates.  Paperwraps.        Near Fine, with
emphemera, in original 1/2 box or half of box.  $12

37  Sitwell, Sachavarell.  Old Fashioned Flowers.  London: Country Life,
1939, 1st; 4to, 195p.  11 color plates and tp painted by John Farleigh. 
Brown cloth.    G+; corners bumped, contents VG.  $45

38  Stout, Ruth.  No-Work Garden Book.  Rodale, 1976/1971, 17th.       
Pictorial binding, NF.  $12

39  Stout, Ruth.  No-Work Garden Book.  Rodale, 1973/1971, 7th.       
VG/VG.  $10

40  Wilson, Albert.  Distinctive Trees, Shrubs, and Vines in the Gardens
of the San Francisco Peninsula.  Menlo Park: 1938, 1st; 182 pp, index, map
ep's.  Primarily a listing of distinctive California plants, by name, @
10/page, with some photos.      Green cloth stamped.  Near fine, owner's
name 2nd page.  $12

41 [Oregon Journal].	Our Garden Book.	Portland: Binfords, 1941,
1st.	Calico-flower cloth.  8x11.5", 190 pp.	A complete systematic
approach to how to garden in the Northwest, taken from long articles in
The Sunday Journal. Some photo plates & illustrations.	VG, name, lt soil
among flowers on cover.	$18

Postage is $2 in US for the box for 4th class USPS, any quantity of books.
 
Books are shipped carefully packed in cardboard.  Satisfaction guaranteed.
If interested, email [email-masked] for confirmation & reserve and
mailing address for a check.

To order notify by email [email-masked]
and send a check to
Truman Price
7210 Helmick Road
Monmouth, OR 97361

Truman and Suzanne Price/Monmouth, OR
Children's Literature and Western Americana 
email: [email-masked]