Subject: Re: Organic Gardening Book Recommendations?

From: [email-masked] (Heather Middleton)
Date: 7 Nov 1994 16:35:06 GMT

: : I'm just starting out with organic gardening and was wondering if
: : you would be kind enough to share with me your recommendations for the
: : most useful organic gardening books.  I'm interested in books with

The books that I recomend the most are Geoff Hamilton's book " The 
organic garden" by crown publishers 1987 and " Rodale's Chemical-free 
yard and garden". I like the first book particularly because of the good 
pictures and step by step process. The second book has tones of good 
information about a lot of stuff, particularly the science of this aspect 
of organic gardening. If you are interested in pest control in organic 
gardens, I picked up a really good book by Sunset on organic pest 
control. It's got excilent pictures and ideas + one that I would recomend 
for people who are just starting out in organic gardening and need a 
quick trouble shooting book ( I lots my copy so I don't know the specific 
title ).

Heather Middleton
Environmental biology
University of Guelph
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Guy Thomas)
Date: 5 Nov 1994 09:24:35 -0500

I am also new at organic gardening and gardening in general. I find
the "organic" aspect absolutley fascinating. As in the other response
to your listing I also find the "All-New Encyclopedia of Organic
Gardening" by Rodale Press an indispensible resource book. Two other
books I have also found to be very helpful are "Improving the Soil" in
Rodale's Successful Organic Gardening series and the "The Harrowsmith
Country Life Book of Garden Secrets" by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent and
Diane E. Bilderback. Hope you find them equally helpful. Good reading
and successful gardening!
-- 

****************************************************************
  There is an explanation for everything. It is a pity that many
of those explanations make no sense.
           -The Teachings of Ebenezum, Volume LXIX
****************************************************************
Guy Thomas: [email-masked]