Subject: Re: Safe/organic pesticides?

From: [email-masked] (Steven Moore)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 07:40:12 -0500

> Can anyone tell me if there are any organic/natural/safe sprays that you can 
> use on fruit trees?  Also, does anyone know if there is a fertilizer 
> for grass that is NOT harmful to dogs?  and finally, Is bone 
> meal/blood meal safe? > 

Bone meal and blood meal are as safe as bones and blood. Most 100% 
organic fertilizers (there are some great ones made from alfalfa) are 
safe for dogs, do not use pulp mill effluent (which I have seen packaged 
as 100% "organic" fertilizer). For recommendations of fruit trees, you 
may wish to consult:

Rodale's Organic Gardening 33 E. Minor Street, Emmaus, PA  ph. 610-967-5171.

Backyard Fruits and Berries by Bilderback & Patent or The Orchard
Almanac by Page & Smillie

Bilderback, D.E. and Patent, D.H., Backyard Fruits and Berries, Rodale
Press, Emmaus, Pennsylvania, 1984

Page, S., and Smillie, J., The Orchard Almanac, Spraysaver Publications, 1986

The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, Rodale Press,1978

Hall-Beyer, B., and Richard J., Ecological Fruit Production in the
North, RR #3, Quebec, 1983.

There are very few non-toxic sprays for fruit trees. Most organic fruit
producers use pest traps, beneficial insects, and are very careful about
their management practices. "Magic bullet" safe sprays are rare.
-- 
Cheers...Steven 

   Steven Moore - Freelance Writer
          [email-masked]